Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA: Brotherhood English Dub Dvd (north American Version) Info & Discussion
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3
edxwinryfan
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood English DVD Info:

PART ONE

Slip case front cover (= FMA: Brotherhood Japanese DVD Vol 1 cover)

PART ONE: DISC ONE Cover..........................................................PART ONE: DISC TWO Cover
(Click to enlarge)...............................................................................(Click to enlarge)
(= FMA:B Japanese DVD/BD Vol 2 cover)..................................................(= FMA:B Japanese DVD/BD Vol 3 cover)
Click here to see the inside cover of Box One...................................Click here to see the inside cover of Box Two

EPISODES................................................................................EPISODES
1. FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST...........................................................8. THE FIFTH LABORATORY
2. THE FIRST DAY.........................................................................9. CREATED FEELINGS
3. CITY OF HERESY.......................................................................10. SEPARATE DESTINATIONS
4. AN ALCHEMIST'S ANGUISH'......................................................11. MIRACLE AT RUSH VALLEY
5. RAIN OF SORROWS...................................................................12. ONE IS ALL, ALL IS ONE
6. ROAD OF HOPE........................................................................13. BEASTS OF DUBLITH
7. HIDDEN TRUTHS........................................................................NO EP 14

DVD INFO
Features: Episode 1 & 10 Commentaries, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, Trailers.
Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.
Age Rating: 14+
Length: 320 Minutes
Format: Hybrid
Publisher: FUNIMATION
Release Date: May 25 2010
Retail Price: DVD $49.98, BD $54.98
Price @ Funimation: DVD $29.9, BD $32.99 (Plus Shipping)

Includes: 4 Collectible Postcards

-------------------------------------

PART TWO

Slip case front cover (= FMA: Brotherhood Japanese DVD Vol 6 cover)

PART TWO: DISC ONE Cover..........................................................PART TWO: DISC TWO Cover
(Click to enlarge)...............................................................................(Click to enlarge)
(= FMA:B Japanese DVD/BD Vol 5 cover)..................................................(= FMA:B Japanese DVD/BD Vol 7 cover)
Click here to see the inside cover of Box One...................................Click here to see the inside cover of Box Two

EPISODES................................................................................EPISODES
14. THOSE WHO LURK UNDERGROUND............................................21. ADVANCE OF THE FOOL
15. ENVOY FROM THE EAST...........................................................22. BACKS IN THE DISTANCE
16. FOOTSTEPS OF A COMRADE-IN-ARMS........................................23. GIRL ON THE BATTLEFIELD
17. COLD FLAME..........................................................................24. INSIDE THE BELLY
18. THE ARROGANT PALM OF A SMALL HUMAN..............................25. DOORWAY OF DARKNESS
19. DEATH OF THE UNDYING.........................................................26. REUNION
20. FATHER BEFORE THE GRAVE........................................................................NO EP 27

DVD INFO
Features: Episode 14 & 23 Commentaries, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, Trailers.
Spoken Languages: English (5.1 Dolby Digital track sounds), Japanese (2.0), English subtitles.
Video: 16:9 Widescreen.
Release Date: Aug 24 2010
Price @Funimation: DVD $29.9, BD $32.99 (Plus Shipping)

PART THREE

Slip case front cover (= FMA: Brotherhood Japanese DVD Vol 9 cover)

PART THREE: DISC ONE Cover.......................................................PART THREE: DISC TWO Cover
(= FMA:B Japanese DVD/BD Vol 10 cover).................................................(= FMA:B Japanese DVD/BD Vol 12 cover)

27. INTERLUDE PARTY...................................................................34. ICE QUEEN
28. FATHER................................................................................35. THE SHAPE OF THIS COUNTRY
29. STRUGGLE OF THE FOOL..........................................................36. FAMILY PORTRAIT
30. THE ISHVALAN WAR OF EXTERMINATION..................................37. THE FIRST HOMUNCULUS
31. THE 520 CENS PROMISE...........................................................38. CONFLICT AT BASCHOOL
32. THE FUHRER'S SON.................................................................39. DAYDREAM
33. THE NORTHERN WALL OF BRIGGS........................................................................NO EP 40

DVD INFO
Features: Episode 28 & 36 Commentaries, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, Trailers.
Spoken Languages: English (5.1), Japanese (2.0), English subtitles.
Release Date: December 28, 2010

PART FOUR

Slip case front cover (= FMA: Brotherhood Japanese DVD Vol 11 cover)

PART FOUR: DISC ONE Cover.........................................................PART FOUR: DISC TWO Cover
(= Not one of the original covers)..........................................................(= FMA:B Japanese DVD/BD Vol 13 cover)

40. HOMUNCULUS (THE DWARF IN THE FLASK)................................47. EMISSARY OF DARKNESS
41. THE ABYSS.............................................................................48. THE OATH IN THE TUNNEL
42. SIGNS OF A COUNTEROFFENSIVE..............................................49. FILIAL AFFECTION
43. BITE OF THE ANT.....................................................................50. UPHEAVAL IN CENTRAL
44. REVVING AT FULL THROTTLE....................................................51. THE IMMORTAL LEGION
45. THE PROMISED DAY.................................................................52. COMBINED STRENGTH
46. LOOMING SHADOWS........................................................................NO EP 53

DVD INFO
Features: Episode 40 & 46 Commentaries, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, Trailers.
Spoken Languages: English (5.1), Japanese (2.0), English subtitles.
Length: 325 Minutes
Release Date: April 5, 2011

PART FIVE

Slip case front cover (= FMA: Brotherhood Japanese DVD Vol 15 cover)

PART FIVE: DISC ONE Cover..........................................................PART FIVE: DISC TWO Cover
(Click to enlarge)...............................................................................(Click to enlarge: WARNING! Image contains end of series spoilers!)
(= FMA:B Japanese DVD/BD Vol 14 cover).................................................(= FMA:B Japanese DVD/BD Vol 16 cover)

53. FLAME OF VENGEANCE............................................................59. LOST LIGHT
54. BEYOND THE INFERNO..............................................................60. EYE OF HEAVEN, GATEWAY OF EARTH
55. THE ADULTS' WAY OF LIFE........................................................61. HE WHO WOULD SWALLOW GOD
56. THE RETURN OF THE FUHRER.....................................................62. A FIERCE COUNTERATTACK
57. ETERNAL LEAVE......................................................................63. THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GATEWAY
58. SACRIFICES.............................................................................64. JOURNEY'S END

DVD INFO
Features: Episode 64 Commentary, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, Trailers, Out-takes
Episodes: 53-64
Format: Widescreen, Color, Box set, NTSC
Language: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), Japanese (Stereo)
Subtitles: English
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only.)
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Number of discs: 2
Studio: Funimation
DVD Release Date: August 2, 2011
Run Time: 300 minutes

<Last updated on August 17th, 2011 by A Pierrot's Aria>

=============================

So I went on the message boards for Brotherhood on IMDb and someone had posted that at a convention (sometime in April I think) they heard that Wendy Powell (the women who plays Envy in the dub) said that they would start dubbing in July or August (of this year)!! Which means they have probably already started to dub it! I am so excited! This could mean that we could have episodes this year, followed by English DVD next year? biggrin.gif
Jen_Elric
If I'm not mistaken, the first part is comiing in May. Amazon.com is already accepting pre-orders on it!! I can't wait!
LooneyLolita
The frist dvd will be out in Europa 23/08/10. That's 1-13 episodes. : )
A Pierrot's Aria
^Yeah. : ) It also seems that the 2nd DVD with episodes 14-26 (region 2) is out on November 15th.

Since I don't want to wait, I just pre-ordered the region 1 release. x.x I wish the region 2 would come out earlier for once...
LooneyLolita
QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Apr 25 2010, 12:33 PM) *
^Yeah. : ) It also seems that the 2nd DVD with episodes 14-26 (region 2) is out on November 15th.

Since I don't want to wait, I just pre-ordered the region 1 release. x.x I wish the region 2 would come out earlier for once...

I'm also very tempted in buying the region 1 release ;3; The EU verison is so sloooow!
Kasumisty
Here are the covers and additional info about these DVD/Blue-ray:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fullmetal-Alchemis...6877&sr=1-2 British/European release

http://www.amazon.com/Fullmetal-Alchemist-...M/ref=pd_cp_d_2 USA release
mazam
The US release has previews of all episodes though in Japanese instead of English. Oh well, I thought we could have gotten a sneak peak at the English cast.

I think the Japanese ones came with the animated 4komas. Does anyone know if these will have them too?
Bag of Magic Food
QUOTE (LooneyLolita @ Apr 25 2010, 01:30 PM) *
The frist dvd will be out in Europa 23/08/10. That's 1-13 episodes. : )

If it's only 13 episodes, then why does the preview show clips from episode 14? Is this like a "part one of part one" thing?
A Pierrot's Aria
^The box actually says on it "Episodes 1-13". Like someone mentioned before, they may have added a clip from episode 14 to show that this series is different to the first one.

But what I've found odd all along is that even though it says 1-13 on the box, on Amazon Video on Demand list it has up to episode 15.
deet-tastic
^ Yeah what the heck?
All this is confusing for me.
"1-13 but lul it's up to episode 15...or is it. hur hur"

Whatever it is, I just want it to have the 4-koma's.

Vlyse
As seen on YouTube of the DVD version of Episode 1, they changed the voice of the "Fullmetal Alchemist!" guy during the eyecatches.

I kinda lol'd at the cutesy giggling the Japanese version had, and I don't think this guy will be able to pull it off. He's kinda quiet, too.
Bag of Magic Food
That's the DVD version? Why is "Central Prison" still in Japanese with a subtitle, then, instead of being completely replaced with English as in the Adult Swim broadcast?

Notice also that the lion is present behind young Hohenheim. I don't think that was added to the Japanese broadcasts until episode 7, so I take it it was a mistake to leave it out in the first place and it wasn't their intention to sneak it in six episodes later. So I gather that this is the version after post-broadcast animation clean-ups, but before on-screen text removal/translation other than the credits... maybe?

Finally, nice to see the YouTube comments are full of
AL HAS NEW VOICE WHAT?! PUBERTY WHAT!? ARGHRAGH
Vlyse
Yeah, I'm not sure what version it is. I just said that because it was an English version that had the full OP/ED and eyecatches...like supposedly the DVD will have.
Vlyse
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/ca...tem/87253/4/0/0

Part 2 comes out 8/24, supposedly. That makes sense, since the Adult Swim premiere of episode 26 would be on August 7th.
deet-tastic
Ya'know, I was thinking today, it's a shame we aren't getting as many covers as Japan. I like all the DVD covers sad.gif
Do we know if any of the limited edition Arakawa designed covers will be released with the English versions?
hawkflame
Just picked up the DVDs today.

First of all, it is indeed the first 13 episodes, which is a little disappointing because 1-14 makes more sense- having episode 14 add some more "new" material to make it more desireable for those who have only seen the first series, it ends a story line rather than create a cliffhanger, and of course 15 is when the new OP/ED starts.

Audio and video transfer seem fine, no problems there. The only thing I wish, other than the 14th episode, is that they had more of the extras, like the Blind Alchemist OVA and the 4 Koma theater. They had a couple of commentaries, only the first of which is worth listening to, as they provide a bit of insight on the dubbing process as well as the actors' impressions of their characters. Second one is pretty much just everyone riffing.

Overall not a bad package, but not as good as it could have been.
deet-tastic
Yeah I'm not getting it.
Ridiculously enough, part of me not wanting it is because of the lack of 4koma.

And it makes no sense why they would have it just go to episode 13. Why would you not put the 2nd part of a 2 part arc on one dvd? Plus the fact that episode 14 is the actual "NEW" material. And then the fact that the opening theme will be on just one episode on the next DVD set.

I'll be waiting for boxed sets later down the road.

I do have a question though, for those who have the DVD, does it have the eyecatches in the episodes?
Bag of Magic Food
I don't see why not. But I just wonder if all those "comic book sound effect words" were translated into English, because in the teaser clips they've been left in Japanese.
Vlyse
It does seem weird Episode 14 isn't included, because there's two discs, meaning one has 7 episodes and the other has 6. I just got my box so I can confirm this.

The eyecatches are included, and redubbed by who sounds to be Kent Williams.

On another note, I'm a little irritated it suddenly stopped playing the DVD for me. No idea what could be wrong.
rzerox21xx
You think down the line, funi might release the 4komas and the ovas like blind alchemist, simple people, izumi on one disc or something like the fma premium they did last year that include the ova and chibi party of the first series.

I order the blu-ray just now through the Rightstuf funimation 40 percent deal and yeah I was quite disappointed funi didnt release the 4komas and blind alchemist.
His Name is Unknown
Aw man!!!!

I don't get to see Wrath slice up Greed?! Huge letdown. I was so looking forward to seeing that in blu-ray quality with English dubbing, as Bradley is one of the few english voices in the dub that I thoroughly enjoy (his poor man's Sean Connery impersonation is actually rather endearing to me, and I feel it fits the character, somehow).

From the previous couple of posts, it sounds as if this is going to a no-frills release. Shame to double dip on a show that is already a double-dip from the get go: funimation really would fit in nicely dressed in all black and lurking in an underground hide-out. Based on this information I'm going to assume that funi will be planning a separate OVA release like they did with the original fma?
Vlyse
Most likely. I just hope the OVA collection isn't years later this time around.

I'm listening to the commentary for episode 10, and I'm surprised / it's interesting they said this series is more darker and that the comedy balances it out. From most anime-only viewers, I see they say the first series was darker.

Will post anything else interesting as I continue to listen.
His Name is Unknown
Interesting observation; I wonder what would compel them to make such a statement? Just paying lip-service to the manga, or an actual opinion? I guess you could say that the plot itself is darker (specifically, the details of the Ishval War, Envy's true form, the extended fallout from Hughe's demise, Roy's darker revenge arc), but the directing most certainly is not.

In my opinion, FMA1 was developed as a far more serious affair; whether one considers the more dramatic, rich musical score, the seriously designed and drawn character models, or the pervasive atmosphere of melancholy (the Law of Equivalent exchange as a promise between brothers, rather than an arbiter of fairness in the universe itself), FMA1 had an extremely dark style.

If FMA:Brotherhood had been told with a similar narrative aesthetic, then I could see such a claim as justified...but as it stands now, I tend to view the show more as a a pleasant, if ultimately sub-par rendition of superior source material.

One question directed at Vlyse, if I may? Where did you acquire the English dubbed dvds? I'm assuming it was an online order, because the official release date isn't until next Tuesday. Depending upon your answer, I may risk a trip to my local anime surplus store to beg for a copy from the back room... laugh.gif
Vlyse
^Yeah, the first two paragraphs are my thoughts, too. I think Brotherhood has more blood in it as well.

As for how I got the DVD, I ordered from Rightstuf.com. I was pretty surprised it came today, because I tried canceling it since it didn't say anything about arriving on the release date. So I fail to cancel it because of this worry and get it 5 days earlier laugh.gif
hawkflame
QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ May 20 2010, 06:25 PM) *
Interesting observation; I wonder what would compel them to make such a statement? Just paying lip-service to the manga, or an actual opinion? I guess you could say that the plot itself is darker (specifically, the details of the Ishval War, Envy's true form, the extended fallout from Hughe's demise, Roy's darker revenge arc), but the directing most certainly is not.

In my opinion, FMA1 was developed as a far more serious affair; whether one considers the more dramatic, rich musical score, the seriously designed and drawn character models, or the pervasive atmosphere of melancholy (the Law of Equivalent exchange as a promise between brothers, rather than an arbiter of fairness in the universe itself), FMA1 had an extremely dark style.

If FMA:Brotherhood had been told with a similar narrative aesthetic, then I could see such a claim as justified...but as it stands now, I tend to view the show more as a a pleasant, if ultimately sub-par rendition of superior source material.

One question directed at Vlyse, if I may? Where did you acquire the English dubbed dvds? I'm assuming it was an online order, because the official release date isn't until next Tuesday. Depending upon your answer, I may risk a trip to my local anime surplus store to beg for a copy from the back room... laugh.gif

I always considered the first series more dark as far as the emotions go, but this version is darker in the sense of what you mentioned above- there's something certainly more brutal and nightmarish about the manga and by extension, the new series, especially when you consider the nature of some of the homunculi, or episodes like 19 with the confrontation with Lust. I think they're picking up on that quality, which certainly shines through here.

As for the availability of the DVDs, I know this wasn't directed at me, but I picked mine up off the shelf at the local FYE store. The chain must have picked it up early, as it was available at another FYE as well.

(And by the way I think the musical score is every bit the equal of the first series).
rzerox21xx
Vlyse, the thing about rightstuf, si that you get your stuff pretty earlier, usually a week earlier than the release date, I got almost all of my products that way and there weekly deals and got anime combination make that site ideal in ordering.

Anyway, anyone got the blu-ray, I curious about it because I heard bad things about the d.gray-man bd release by funi while good things about the eveangelion 1.11 release.

I was hoping funi would have put the same amount of effort they did with the first series dvds with the extra and booklets and such.

does the dvds came with any booklets, and how exactly the extras other than commentaries, like any character sketches and such.
hawkflame
QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ May 20 2010, 07:13 PM) *
Vlyse, the thing about rightstuf, si that you get your stuff pretty earlier, usually a week earlier than the release date, I got almost all of my products that way and there weekly deals and got anime combination make that site ideal in ordering.

Anyway, anyone got the blu-ray, I curious about it because I heard bad things about the d.gray-man bd release by funi while good things about the eveangelion 1.11 release.

I was hoping funi would have put the same amount of effort they did with the first series dvds with the extra and booklets and such.

does the dvds came with any booklets, and how exactly the extras other than commentaries, like any character sketches and such.

It came with several postcards, and creditless OP/ED.

Frankly, the first series extras were better. Not only were there still commentaries, but those guide books were cool.
rzerox21xx
ah, thanks. Yeah agreeable that funi did a better job with the extra content that came with the first series dvds. I guess we were all hoping for a similar treatment with brotherhood, especially one with a closer vision of how arakawa intended.
deet-tastic
Don't the Japanese release of the DVD's come with butt-loads of awesome? All the eycatches, little booklets, and the 4koma?
So why is the U.S. release cutting back on the awesome?

I'm curious to hear the two commentaries though.
But I still going to wait to buy the DVD's till further down the road.

Bag of Magic Food
Bad Export For You?
deet-tastic
^ lul thanks biggrin.gif

(I went ahead and read the whole article, I didn't know that bit about Princess Mononoke)
rzerox21xx
DAMNIT, WHY

I dont know what to think. I just read some review on the bluray version and several say something bad about the video qaulity

amazon reviewer

Wow Funi there are real blue-rays of this show in japan, how did you guys drop the ball so hard? Look I understand you want this show, I want it too... so bad that I bought it even and its fuzzy and has artifacts all over the video. The first BD has 9 episodes, the second has four... you should buy the japanese disks if you want it in real nice HD, or better yet torrent it, Funi should not get your money for this one kids.

then again from here
http://www.animemaki.net/2010/05/dvd-revie...herhood-part-1/

"The video for Brotherhood is in a single wordÖ disappointing. Brotherhood is 1080p with the AVC codec at 14429 kbps (average bitrate of the first episode.) Despite being brand new and a name franchise, Brotherhood has a very disappointing Blu-ray. Lines are often pixelated and choppy, and the video overall has a very fuzzy and murky feel to it. Colors at times also appear fuzzy and not clean. Iím not sure how this happened (whether Funimation did something to their masters or if they were given sub-par masters) or if the Japanese Blu-ray looked similar, but this was just a disappointment.

Itís possible Iím expecting to much and expanding on minor flaws, but I donít think so. The video isnít unwatchable but it is far below what we expect from a series that began to air in 2009.

Edit- It has since been confirmed via screenshots of the Japanese Blu-ray that all the problems here are also on that Blu-ray."

What you guys think, you think I'm making a big deal of it especially from the above statement that the japanese blueray is like that too? I tried to change the order to dvd on rightstuf but it already shiped along with my dragonbox part 3

edit = okay, this maybe chaning my mind

http://www.mania.com/fullmetal-alchemist-b...cle_120678.html

"Video:
Originally airing in 2009, the transfer for this HD native TV series is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.78:1 in 1080p using the AVC codec. The show is spread across two discs in a nine/four format with the first disc being dual layered. I've read comments by some that have seen this disc and they tend to be very disappointed in the release. After watching this via streaming and comparing it to the DVD, I came away very pleased by it. The vibrancy of the animation shines through beautifully here as the colors are rich and generally free of gradients outside of a couple of scenes that almost look intentional. Backgrounds and character animation is solid with no visible noise and just a layer of natural high definition grain that's very minimal overall. By all appearances and comparisons, this release looks identical to the Japanese Blu-ray release outside of being slightly brighter which is a common occurrence."
A Pierrot's Aria
I wish I could have gotten the DVD early. D: And I agree with those that said it would have been better to go up to episode 14.

I think it was on this thread that someone mentioned that the commentary said that Brotherhood is darker- you'd actually be surpised by the amount of people that think that. My brother and sister have both watched the first series and Brotherhood, (but they don't read manga) and when I asked they both said that they believe brotherhood is darker. I have to agree with them, because I think both series are dark in different ways; although, often I believe that with the first series people misinterpret "darkness" with good old "drama."
deet-tastic
^ yeah. I wouldn't say the first series was "darker" but I'd say it did have a bit more.. angsty drama. Both series def. have their dark moments though.
rzerox21xx
Got the bluray in the mial today, finished watching the first 2 episodes, well the first episode, I watched it with the commentary, the picture seem crisp and clear and I didn't notice anything wrong. Then again, I'm watching it in my regular Tv that is not made for HD or watching bluray but I brought it because in the future I will get TV taht does. However, is the type of tv affects the subtitle placement because the subtitles are shown in the screen but the colors sometimes make it hard to see.
Bag of Magic Food
I'm curious, so a quick question for those of you who watched to the end of the second episode on the English DVD: Did the Fuhrer walking away from the alchemy exam look more like this...

or more like this...

or like something else instead?
Vlyse
It looked like the first one, with the Funimation watermark.
Bag of Magic Food
Oh, okay. Is anything else onscreen translated into English besides credits and title cards?
rzerox21xx
Kale Mustang, or anyone that owned the bluray, I still having trouble with the subtitles. The problem is that when there whiteness or bright, I can barely read them and its annoying. However I wonder if there anyway to change that snice there gotta be because I have not seen any online complaints about it or people making this a big deal so I guess the subtitles coloring can change or something.
penguintruth
I just got my Blu-Ray in the mail today, and the packaging is so gorgeous and I love the postcards, even if I can't see ever using them. I'm really excited to watch it.
Jen_Elric
jeeez. with all the trouble people seem to be having with the blu-ray dics, I'm happy that I got DVD's instead. Of course, I don't have a blu-ray player, but still.
But now I'm a little worried that the DVD's will have problems too. Did anyone get the DVD's and how are they playing?
His Name is Unknown
Bought the dvd set on Saturday! laugh.gif

I've watched through the whole set twice, once in English and once in Japanese with subtitles, along with the two commentaries for episodes 1 and 10...what I'm trying to say is, I've seen it all. Thusfar, I'm happy to report no issues with the dvds.

The picture is crisp and clear, with noticeably more vivid colors than when I viewed the show on adult swim and the funimation website. Subtitles are accurate, with no glitching or inconsistencies.

I actually bought the dvds because I was too impatient to wait for the bluray to arrive on tuesday, but all things considered, it looks like my impatience was a virtue. biggrin.gif
Vlyse
Part 2: Episodes 14-26

I saw this on a Youtube video, so I don't know how legit this is. I left a comment asking for a source, but no reply yet. Anyway, it's still one of the most sensible cover to use out of all the ones that cover 14-26. I'd personally prefer Vol 7's, though, with Ed poking his finger through the Gate.
deet-tastic
^ nice find. I guess we'll have to wait and see how legit it is.
I love both vol 6 and 7 covers. If it is real, I knew they'd use one or the other.
penguintruth
Aw man, that cover is awesome. And I thought the first volume's cover was beautiful.

So I was watching some of the first volume and I noticed that the subtitles won't turn off in the Japanese language setting. I also noticed that the subtitles themselves can be difficult to read at times, because they're so thin and weak. They need strong outlining. What's the point of having subtitles if you can barely read them? I shouldn't have to suffer because I prefer the original language track.

I checked out the English dub commentaries for episodes 1 & 2, and they were what I expected, the English VAs sort of talking out of their asses, being obnoxious. But they have a certain charm to them, if you're a masochist.

The video looks so damn amazing, though.
AXavierB
I got the first volume on DVD today. Had to settle since I don't have a Blu-ray player of my own. The Japanese track had removable subtitles, to my surprise. I guess it's just the Blu-ray version that doesn't.
Trakonda
I bought the first part from my Stockholm trip two days ago.. USA import so I can only watch it from my laptop, but heck, I'm still happy. The package has some real collector value, with 4 nice art cards and separate cases with more beautiful cover art on them happy.gif If these american versions weren't so darn expensive to buy, I'd love to have the whole set once they're all out.

It's a bit of a shame there isn't much of extras in these DVD's. And it seems like the opening sequences are put with english credits no matter what language you choose. I loved how in first FMA anime, the DVDs had the possibility for japanese credits too. It's a small complain, but I'm nitpicky like that. biggrin.gif It just doesn't feel right to watch the opening sequence with english stuff on it, not after I've watched all the episodes fansubbed before. XD
(plus they take more space there and stand out a bit too much with all that extra shadowing, the japanese ones blended nicely in and never bothered me much. Thank goodness they put clean op and ed in the extras section, at least!)

I haven't checked out the commentary tracks yet.
deet-tastic
This'll sound nerdy. But a friend and I were listening to the commentary on episode 10, and the actors mentioned drinking Brain Toniq. My friend went and hunted down this drink and found it at a local health foods store.
So I drank some the other day XP It's actually pretty good.
AXavierB
I actually enjoyed the commentary. >.>
Kale Mustang
QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Jul 3 2010, 03:36 PM) *
This'll sound nerdy. But a friend and I were listening to the commentary on episode 10, and the actors mentioned drinking Brain Toniq. My friend went and hunted down this drink and found it at a local health foods store.
So I drank some the other day XP It's actually pretty good.

Pfffttt, I did the same thing. Watched the commentaries on May 26, bought Brain Toniq on May 27.

As far as problems with Funi bd copy, none. Subtitles were crisp and clear - but then again, my PS3's always been hooked up to my tv through HDMI. Already pre-ordered my copy of Part Two from Amazon, it's good to be an Amazon Prime member. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.