Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 20: Father Before The Grave - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
edo little kid

Looool , Ed-laughing was best thing ever !!!<3
liked this episode very much
Hohenheim was awesome!!
also ,his voice was very good!
the part of digging up the grave was great !!!

can't wait the next ep!!
BloodRed Alchemist
Another awesome episode! I loved the music at the end while Al was having his epiphany(sp?)
Radadinator
Ahaha, it amuses me how there's a ton of people (not here, but elsewhere on the Internet) that criticize every little detail in Brotherhood, but still get upset when they hear there's no new episode tomorrow. We're all FMA geeks inside. tongue.gif

Anyways, Hohenheim's personality always sort of confused me. I'm sure he will have more chances to show off his oddball quirks, though, and he gets to be a superhohenmothaf*!@inheim later on, with the battle versus Pride and Father and whatever.

Thaaaaat being said, I really am enjoying this series more than the original one. I'd consider the new director to be a weenie if he didn't have the courage to mess around with the source material. The message of FMA still goes through, and I liked how Pinako specifically said that the bones were of a man in this episode.
Vagrant
Gah, I only just got around to watching this and rereading the manga today.

And I thought the episode kinda...Totally sucked. I mean it seemed to drag, for one thing. But it was basically a butchering of the manga version. The amount of stuff cut out or mishandled was ridiculous. Humour, character, lines, explanations, plot! (s Mr. Deathy pointed out with regards to the conclusion of the digging. And as everyone says about Hohenheim) Not to mention the stupid scene reshuffling. (revealing Ling's background immediately, etc.)

Plus, the music was really badly used. The way Ed and Hohenheim were drawn neara the beginning seemed really off as well.

Gah again!
Forsaken Love
^ you sure like to complain a lot about every episode XD allthough all of what you say is true T_T its so sad *sob sob* but still this series is better than no series at all right? And there are SOME good things XD
Radadinator
@Forsaken Love - Well, each to their own opinion, but you seem to be taking the bad things Brotherhood's done too drastically. I think the worst thing about the new series is just its inconsistency--you don't know which episode will be good or which episode won't be so good.

I think what they're trying to do with cutting out all of Hohenheim's odd moments is to make him seem like he really can be Father. This is sort of a good and bad choice to me.

And for all of the people who're upset with Brotherhood, you can always keep on reading the manga and just stop watching the new series. ):
Zii
QUOTE (Radadinator @ Aug 23 2009, 10:22 AM) *
And for all of the people who're upset with Brotherhood, you can always keep on reading the manga and just stop watching the new series. ):

I may be upset with it, but it's still FMA. The series as a whole is too interesting to stop me from watching. That and it's a long wait between manga chapters :C
Vagrant
My problem is that there's less reason for people to read the manga with the new series. And it confuses continuity and fan discussion a little further.

The idea was for this show was to bring that storyline and all it's goody goodness to a lot more people. And considering the anime is cutting humour, fight scenes, character development and in this episode; actual plot - I don't think it's really bringing the stuff from the anime to a new audience.
Now I don't mind a little bit of scene reshuffling, and I'm happy for them to add in new bits. But cutting everything worthwhile and reshuffling to the point where the story arcs become a mess and events lose all their dramatic effectiveness (such as Maria Ross is still alive ABOUT FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER) is not so good.
Red Kitty
I finally got round to finishing all the Brotherhood episodes, up to this.

The main problem in the Brotherhood series is scene shuffling, cutting details, to the point where the anime loses a lot of effect and becomes a confused mess. However, I think that this is somewhat inevitable when going from one format to another. Things which can take a matter of seconds in an anime may take plenty of manga panels, or a single manga panel may be presented in something much longer. Limited budgets and costs mean that things WILL be cut.

However, I think in Episode 20 in particular, the wrong things were cut, and unnecessary detail was left in. The details showing quirks of Hoho's character - including the hairstyle scene, which is probably one of my favourite moments of that volume, were completely cut. Basically, Hohenheim came across as a cold and emotionless bastard. I also think the scene where Ed and Al talking on the stairs, near the end of the anime, was basically pointless, and should have been mostly cut - apart from the obvious plot details.

Instead, the Hohenheim's quirks should have been shown properly, and detail on why Ed suddenly knew he could save Al, since Al's brain must be somewhere, would have been a better choice.

Though I think the grave-digging scene was done pretty well. I can see where those who say it was less dramatic are coming from, after rereading the manga, although I don't think it was lacking. Ed's laughter there was really great (totally freaked me out, thought Ed was losing his marbles - it worked really well). And I love how they kept the scene with RanFan and Ling eating identical to the manga.

Saying that, I think this episode would have always been a comedown after the epic extravaganza we got last week. It's almost natural to feel slightly disappointed. Though I think this episode could have been far worse *cough*Maria Ross' death*cough* which was handled awfully.
Zii
QUOTE (Vagrant @ Aug 23 2009, 09:16 PM) *
My problem is that there's less reason for people to read the manga with the new series.

A person who only watches the anime would agree with you. After all, why should they read something they've already seen animated? But the informed fan would find out what they're missing and check it out. We just have to promote the manga to the uninformed masses smile.gif
FMAobsessed
This episode lacked action, but it definately was a turning point in the series. We got to meet Hohenhiem. And I loved the warning he gave Pinako before leaving, about how she sould leave the country. If you read the manga, that is definately foreshadowing.

Ed digging up his "mother" was well done. It really was like the manga. One thing I always wondered is how do people who have broken their bones, or injured themselves badly, always know when it is going to rain by the way their joints feel?

Also can't help but feel sympathetic towards Al when he gave his speech about he thought for years he had thought he had killed Trisha a second time. And how he doesn't want to spend the nights alone. The animation made it look like he was crying. When it has been said that Al can't cry in his armor body.
Kasumisty
QUOTE (FMAobsessed @ Aug 24 2009, 05:12 AM) *
One thing I always wondered is how do people who have broken their bones, or injured themselves badly, always know when it is going to rain by the way their joints feel?

I don't know details, but it's all about pressure change. The broken joints/bones are vulnerable to it.
Kyelinn
QUOTE (FMAobsessed)
The animation made it look like he was crying. When it has been said that Al can't cry in his armor body.

It was also like that in the manga as well. It wasn't just the anime that did it. Arakawa also drew Al to look like he was crying. Here's the page that shows it: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/44/34/
FMAobsessed
@Kyelinn: I remember that page from the manga. I just love how Arakawa can make it seem that Al is crying in the manga. Also his voice actor does a wonderful job when it comes to having the audience feel sympathy towards Al.
Michiyo-
Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 20 (on CN on Adult Swim) talk-back/discussions here. smile.gif
hawkflame
I don't know about anyone else, but I found that Hohenheim's new voice sounded kind of odd and will take some getting used to.

Everyone else in the episode was generally in good form.
deet-tastic
When Hoho started talking I did a "KENT WILLIAMS"
And it dawned on me. This is why they got this guy to voice Hoho. He sounds just like Fathers VA. They're trying to trick the audience.

Besides hoho things. I actually enjoyed Vic in this episode. AND MAXEY, I'M SORRY I EVER DOUBTED YOUUUU!
EveningAlchemist
Although this episode was mostly just talking (and Ed throwing up) I enjoyed it! Interesting revelations and just a touch of daddy issues...

Hohenheim's new voice struck me at first as dry, but even just within the episode I began to like it. Sounds old and deep - perfect I'd say. Vic was of course super-great, and indeed Maxey is gaining her stardom!

My fav line was from Ed and Ling "What the hell are you doing here?!" "Eating a delicious dinner."
Ling's line almost sounded like a question, which made it even funnier!
Disasterpiece
Great episode. I thought the VAs were superb.

Favorite part: Vic screaming when Al and Winry said why she rejected both of them.

Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it is on again tonight on Adult Swim (U.S.) smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it is on again tonight on Adult Swim (U.S.) smile.gif
Tombow
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.