Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 20: Father Before The Grave - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 5. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 20 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 20 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode

* HD Screen caps of this episode to be posted on this link address sometime later

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, with episode title from official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 20: "Father Before the Grave"
TBF.... (currently I'm having problem opening up pages on the official JP site.. I'll fill in this one later. ^^)

=======================================

Episode Summary: (To be filled)

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes, to be filled)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
penguintruth
My initial thoughts on the episode:

- Yay, Hoho papa! But I don't think he has the same voice as in th efirst series, too bad.
- I don't need to see Winry react to every little thing that upsets her (which is everything)
- That damn Italian bistro music! Somebody serve Winry some ziti to cheer her up, already!
- Gravedigging scene seemed somewhat less intense as in the manga
- Some of vol 11's needless overexplaining
- And they say the first series was melodramatic...

An okay episode, but a big come down from last week. Then again, pretty much anything would be.

Damn, I might not be here next week to give early impressions, because I might be out of town.

amestris_star
Screenshots: http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/08/16...brotherhood-20/

And it seems that there's no ep next week from what the blog says...
Chiyo
Winry looking at Ed's back.....*sigh* I loved that part if the manga so much it's what inspired me to write my manga based fanfic. Now it's in anime form I'm in the midst of editing it a few years later. Colour me obssesed.

Well if what penguintruth said is right I'm a little dissapointed. I know Winry does get upset but part of her appeal in the manga was she wasn't as much of a moaner as she was in the anime...but we're heading right back there.

Still, I shall have to see the episode to judge for myself. As for no episode next week...darn it!
Zii
QUOTE (amestris_star @ Aug 16 2009, 07:48 PM) *
And it seems that there's no ep next week from what the blog says...

I knew it! I was going to post about that, but for the life of me couldn't remember where I'd read of it. Must have been on LJ somewhere...

And OMG. I bluescreened right before the one gag I thought they'd not leave intact (Ling & Ran Fan pigging out)! Damn you, mysteriously dodgy computer that crashes right when I don't want it to >V
And damn you, sports always getting in the way of my favourite shows!

Anyway
I just want to say, I loved Ed's laugh. *n*
Also, something between this Hohenheim and manga Hoho is amiss. He's a bit depressing when he doesn't have his gag moments... the VA might have something to do with it too.
Kirara
I have not seen the episode yet but I never felt anything was all that melodramatic in these chapters. Nothing bad happens to the characters in these chapters. In fact it's quite the opposite they move forward and realize there is a way to get Al's body back. And then there is Al telling Ed to get over his ridiculous guilt complex.

I also loved all the explanations in these chapters. For one thing it is nice that Ed & Al actually share information. That to me actually shows how close they are. And I always loved the reveal of why the thing they made was moving that day.

But I have a feeling with all this stuff they have to include in one episode I am sure I will be unhappy about something.
alphonse-fma
Ow no !!!!!! NO episode next week
ed elric lover
i seen that episode today but seeing edward laughing like light i laughed too
Hagaren_4ever
-I think they cut out some good scenes, but overall, they did it pretty well.

-I don't think Hohenheim got done enough justice for his character development. It's just like, "Lolhey, everything u ever worked for was in vein. Kthxbai." No muttering in front of her grave about how she left him. No hairstyle scene with Ed. No "I seem to have lost my house, Pinako." scene. That really does not suit my fancy, I tell you.

-And what the hell!? They cut out the part of Ed making a grave for the thing!? How could they!? That was freakin' imortant!! mad.png

-I'm glad they at least tried to explain the situation with Al's body as best they could. That scene wasn't bad.

-The voice acting of Hohenheim was... alright. I guess. Not the best, but whatever, I'll get used to it. I think the guy needs to speak up, though.

-Ed sounded like a girl at the beginning of his hysterical laugh. Didn't he? I think so. But the vomitting voice acting was done well. I liked that.

-Looking forward to the next episode. Looks like another battle with Scar. I hope they keep the scenes of how they lured him there, and they don't just stick him there randomly. Ah, hell. I know that's what they're gonna do. dry.gif

-Episode after next. <3 No need to say more.
Fee
All.. the eye... twitching...

I swear, whenever someone's traumatized (but not full of RAGE) it's like their eyebrows are possessed by hyperactive crickets.

I was a little disappointed by the missing hairstyle scene, but oh, well. Maybe Hoho will have his quirky moments later on.
Jen_Elric
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Aug 16 2009, 10:46 AM) *
-I think they cut out some good scenes, but overall, they did it pretty well.

-I don't think Hohenheim got done enough justice for his character development. It's just like, "Lolhey, everything u ever worked for was in vein. Kthxbai." No muttering in front of her grave about how she left him. No hairstyle scene with Ed. No "I seem to have lost my house, Pinako." scene. That really does not suit my fancy, I tell you.

-And what the hell!? They cut out the part of Ed making a grave for the thing!? How could they!? That was freakin' imortant!! mad.png

I haven't even SEEN this episode and already I'm not happy. No hairstyle scene?! I love that scene cuz Ed really doesn't want to be like his father.
No "Pinako, I have seem to have lost my house"?! That line is so cute! I LOVE that line!><

And I can't believe that they don't have Ed making a grave for the "Thing" he and Al created. It shows how moral he is. Did they at least have him Mention making a grave?
Ugh.
Chiyo
I wanted the hairstyle scene too, I think just that little moment summed up Ed's feelings towards his father perfectly...to NOT be his son in any way.

Not sure how I felt about the digging scene. I liked how Ed doubled over in pain and how determined he was to keep on going but something felt missing.

Did anyone else feel the music at the end was a little...detached from what was actually showing? It just seemed over dramatic, as if to jazz the scene up a bit. I actually paused the video to check something else hadn't started playing.

The shine on Al's armour looking like tears...clever.

Winry looking at Ed's back was actually highlighted more than I expected it to be, freeze frame and zoom and end! Not a problem for someone like me of course and hopefully an omen of what is to come in a couple episodes time.
Kirara
I am wondering if they cut some of the comedy scenes with Hohenheim because they wanted him to seem more mysterious. But it is a shame because that hair scene is one of my favorites. Hohenheim really knows how to annoy Ed.
Womie
Does it seems to me, that Ed has longer hair in this episode? ohmy.gif
Alzea
Good episode (19 was better but hey last episode was pure epicness and compared to it everything somehow is not good enough). It looks like next week...wait, no episode next week, darn -.- I watched this ep only in raw (ok, there were subs, but chinese) so I can't say much, but they cut comedy scenes (hair comment T^T), Hoho part seemed kind of rushed. I liked Ed's yell, don't really know why xD
kkg22104
QUOTE (Jen_Elric @ Aug 16 2009, 02:30 PM) *
I haven't even SEEN this episode and already I'm not happy. No hairstyle scene?! I love that scene cuz Ed really doesn't want to be like his father.
No "Pinako, I have seem to have lost my house"?! That line is so cute! I LOVE that line!><

And I can't believe that they don't have Ed making a grave for the "Thing" he and Al created. It shows how moral he is. Did they at least have him Mention making a grave?
Ugh.

I'm really sad that they missed two of Hoho's funny scenes. Now anime only watchers will get a different first impression on Hoho :/

Actually, I'm pretty sure the DID include the grave. They didn't say anything about it, but there was definitely a gravestone there (though with nothing carved on it).
Hagaren_4ever
QUOTE (Womie @ Aug 16 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Does it seems to me, that Ed has longer hair in this episode? ohmy.gif

Ed's hair grows instantaneously when it's let down, don't cha know?
Jen_Elric
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Aug 16 2009, 04:27 PM) *
QUOTE (Jen_Elric @ Aug 16 2009, 02:30 PM) *

Ugh.

I'm really sad that they missed two of Hoho's funny scenes. Now anime only watchers will get a different first impression on Hoho :/

Actually, I'm pretty sure the DID include the grave. They didn't say anything about it, but there was definitely a gravestone there (though with nothing carved on it).

They DId include the grave? Well, great! I'm feeling a little better about this episode now. I'm just waiting for subs...
Zii
QUOTE (Fee @ Aug 17 2009, 03:04 AM) *
Maybe Hoho will have his quirky moments later on.

Hah!

I need to keep away from this forum 24 hours after watching the RAW. When I re-view it, it reminds me of all the cuts and makes me feel so disappointed. But because it's FMA I still look forward to every Sunday. |:
Makes me wish I could draw animations. Best alternative I can do is make 3D models and animate those, ohoho

QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Aug 17 2009, 12:16 AM) *
-And what the hell!? They cut out the part of Ed making a grave for the thing!? How could they!? That was freakin' imortant!!

They did show a picture of the unmarked grave, that was close enough I guess.
Serb Alchemist
I have a download link for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Episode 20...

If anyone wants it, he can send me a message, and I will give him the link... wink.gif
Jealous Rogo
Another week, another new episode of Brotherhood. This weeks was a bit of a come down after last week's high action kickassathon, but that should come as no surprise really. This episode was less abotu kicking [All hail lord Xenu] and more about character and more importantly, about advancing the plot. With that said, here's a quick summary of my thoughts on the events of the episode:

- WHY, OH GOD WHY DID THEY GIVE HOHENHEIM A DIFFERENT VOICE TO FATHER?!? This really bugged me, it's eliminated any suspicion we may have had that they were the same person and that Hohenheim was the ultimate villain of the series. Very dissapointed with that, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

- Hohenheim seemed to lose a little of his personality in the translation. He just came off as rather stiff here. I mean he's supposed to be but all his little quirks (commenting on Ed's hairstyle, telling Pinako what a great friend she is, etc) were lost and again, think this is a shame. I'd have to say the portrayal of Hohenheim is the most dissapointing thing for me in this episode. Though I'm sure this all came as a result of time cuts in an episode that had to portray, let's face it, ALOT of information.

- I always liked that Pinako and Ed had time to interact with each other during this story. It's nice to see Pinako acting like a parental figure, think it shows a great contrast to Hohenheim.

- Now with all the the things removed from this episode, BONES actually ADDED something I liked. I'm referring to Pinako stating that the thing Ed adn Al transmuted was a man. I don't know why I liked this, it just felt like a good change.

- I like Ed's beige jacket.

- Love Ling and Lan Fan stuffing their faces. Makes me giggle. Surprised Homunculus weren't mentioned here. How are they gonna work that in?

- Love that they added the height chart, in case you forgot that Ed was short. (Though I suspect it was to emphasise that Al was shorter than Ed back then)

- Izumi is always awesome.

- Al and Ed's discussion on the stairs - stupid place it may be to have THAT conversation (Apparently they don't see a problem discussing their court martialable offence, loudly in the middle of a military hotel) - was great. The music and everything was perfect. Also liked how the shine on Al's helmet was made to look like tears.

- You hear that? It's the sound of a thousand Edwin fans screaming all at once....

- Don't know how much further into Volume 11 we'll be getting next episode, but something tells me the episode will take us right to the end of it. Bored of the talking this week? Well we're in for some kickass string of episodes by my estimation. Is gonna make waiting an extra week for the episodes worth it, I assure you.

All in all not a thrilling episode, and a bit of a step down from episode 19, but still solid, except for the problems with Hohenheim previously mentioned.
Full Metal Elf
Well...this week's wasn't HORRIBLE like some of them have been, when they rush and cut scenes, but it wasn't as amazing as last week either.

They didn't show any humor between Ed and Hohenheim, which I'm disappointed about. YES...the hair scene! T____________T I loved that scene.

I felt they pushed together and rushed the intensity a little. I guess it should have been done in one episode, but I don't know. I need to go back and re-read it.

I must say...that the scene where Ed digs-up the thing him and Al made, was done fairly well, but I still feel it was more intense in the manga.

Also...Ed's supposed to look older now, at least a little...enough that Winry notes it, and she does in the anime...but I could barely see it! o_O;;

Anyway...I'm REALLY excited for next week ^____^
Womie
Anyway...I'm REALLY excited for next week ^____^

But .. Next week won't be the next episode :c [as I heard]
Trakonda
QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Aug 17 2009, 04:46 PM) *
Also liked how the shine on Al's helmet was made to look like tears.

I also noticed this. It's great how Bones managed to catch Al's sad emotions this time around, even while he doesn't have a real body, let alone a face to show his expressions on. This artistic way of doing it is just perfect!

(just like the 'waterdrop falling like a tear'-scene some episodes back. )

I have to say that i really liked this episode. Sadly the animation and drawing style wasn't all that top-notch like it was in ep 19, but it was still good enough. biggrin.gif

The grave scene wasn't as intense as in the manga, but I'm glad they at least tried. (Ed vomiting once in a while, Pinako helping him out, etc. I was afraid they might have cut some of these off, but luckily they didn't.)

Throwing all those small flaws aside, I've really begun to like Brotherhood now. Seeing all the manga scenes coming into life just makes me look forward to every single episode. No doubt this will rise much higher than the first anime ever did in my book. smile.gif

EDIT: Womie-- where did you hear that? D: is it true? *sob*
Womie
Just read beginning of this topic. I have heard it from here smile.gif
Next episode - 30 August
kkg22104
QUOTE (Trakonda @ Aug 17 2009, 12:01 PM) *

I also noticed this. It's great how Bones managed to catch Al's sad emotions this time around, even while he doesn't have a real body, let alone a face to show his expressions on. This artistic way of doing it is just perfect!

After checking the manga, I found that the shine was also present in the manga panel, I just never noticed it before. So we should really be giving Arakawa credit instead of Bones laugh.gif

EDIT: Here ya go: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/44/34/
Jealous Rogo
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Aug 17 2009, 09:10 AM) *
QUOTE (Trakonda @ Aug 17 2009, 12:01 PM) *

After checking the manga, I found that the shine was also present in the manga panel, I just never noticed it before. So we should really be giving Arakawa credit instead of Bones laugh.gif

EDIT: Here ya go: http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/44/34/

So it was... oh well

SCREW YOU BONES

lol
paperstars
So it was... oh well

SCREW YOU BONES

Haha, quite right. I would normally settle with being happy with the fact they left it in, but I'm still kinda sad that Hoho's awesome humor didn't make an appearance. In the manga he's all " I am pure awesome yet still utterly adorable" (I think he's adorable, anyway wink.gif ) but here...not so much.
Aside from that, I thought they did pretty well, I loved Izumi and the digging up of Ed's not-mother. Ed's laughter really scared me though!!! Probably how it should be, I'd be a leetle freaked out if I had to go through that. Nice portrayal Romi Paku biggrin.gif.
Trakonda
Ah! I didn't remember that panel, either. Well, props to Bones for adding it in the anime, then! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Womie @ Aug 17 2009, 07:07 PM) *
Just read beginning of this topic. I have heard it from here smile.gif
Next episode - 30 August

Okay, thanks. I somehow missed this. ^^ Kinda disappointing news, but.. oh well.
Mr. Deathy
I really dont like something that they lost in this episode.

They didn't properly explain that the REASON Ed knew he could get Al's body back is because his brain must still exist somewhere to store his new memories, as the suit of armour isn't capable of storing memories, meaning his body must still exist in some place, probably on the other side of the gate.

What prompted him to think about all this is the realisation that you can not revive the dead, meaning that Al should not exist if his body was "dead".

Instead of this in the anime we basically just got Ed suddenly getting some sudden realisation that Al's body could be pulled back from beyond the gate without any depth to WHY he realised that.
Animeoldtimer
I hope at least they discuss Al's concerns about his body rotting and how he's connected with Ed.

Overall, I liked this episode, missed the hair scene, but liked the way the grave scene was portrayed.
penguintruth
Having just seen episode 20 with subtitles, I have a few thoughts to share on it.

It would have been a little richer if more of those little moments between Hohenheim and Edward were included. Hohenheim just seems like a mysterious douchebag in this episode. In the manga he comes off as being more weird and removed, muttering to himself and making observations on things while Edward is trying to express his anger towards him. Hohenheim is supposed to appear sort of flakey. Here, he's just a d***.

I thought what they were going for with Hohenheim's first apperance is, they presented you little hints about him, how he abandoned his family and his wife died soon after, obviously intending the reader to hate him, but when you finally meet him, it's hard to be angry because he acts so weird. So, you become more unnerved than upset at the character. I guess that was just my point of view.

The scene at the "grave" of the "thing" just didn't feel as important as it did in the manga. It's funny, though, that if I didn't read the manga, I'd probably have thought this scene was just a big "screw you" to the first series, since Pinako even mentions that the bones are that of a man.

I found myself rolling my eyes with the scene with Winry upset and the scene at the end with Alphonse renewing his vow to get their bodies back. Is it just me, or do they do that a lot? I thought they decided after Gracia talked to them that they'd continue? I mean, they don't have to actually SAY they're going to continue. It feels like a lot of unnecessary dialogue, since we can see for ourselves that they're continuing, and the characters themselves can. Making these big, grand vows aloud just comes off as being a little corny.

At least they cut down some of the overexplaining volume 11 did. Sometimes a few words are better than many of them.

(That damn bistro music again!)
Jen_Elric
The episode was pretty good. Not great, but good.

I wish they kept the Hair style scene and Other funny scenes between Ed and Hohenhiem. Ihn the manga, it seemed like they had more of a bond, despite the fact that Ed hates him.
I did like how Hohenhiem said "He acts like I did when I was younger", and also liked how Bones kept the Scene where Hohenhiem almost touches Ed's head when Ed was "sleeping".
They protrayed Hohenhiem indifferent and kinda cold. He didn't even smile!
The grave scene was the best scene in the whole episode! I'll always love Ed's laugh.
The Ling/Ranfan scene was cute! Ed:"What are YOU doing here?!" Ling:"We're having a meal! happy.gif". lol
ugh, what's with the italian restaurant music during a dramatic scene. I was trying not to laugh, cuz the music was soo ridiculous!!
So much talking....this episode should have been two episodes.
LOVED THE EDWIN SCENE!!! *heart*

The next episode looks really good! Too bad we hafta wait 2 weeks...
FailToImpress
I read the corresponding manga chapters SO long ago that I can't remember what's been included and what hasn't been included.

I laughed at the very end though, everything's all dramatic then Winry says "has his back always been so big?" or something like that. I know what it means, but in literal terms, it just seemed funny.
Forsaken Love
agree, there wasn't any mention about the mind body and soul, and how Al's brain must still be working and alive somewhere to store the new memories he was experiancing in the armour, at least i can't remember there been, a lot of detail of tthat conversation was cut out regardless, also hoho humor where did it go! I think thats a bit of mistake because that has led to his character been portrayed differntly, without the manga i certainly wouldnt think of him as quirky at this point, he seems a bit harsher and stiffer. Glad they kept ran-fan and ling eating scene XD They missed an edwin scene where winry grabs ed's shoulders on the way to the hotel room, wasn't happy _ ed and al's conv on the stairs actually made me shed a tear XD that made me sad in the manga too, (i allways noticed that arakawa drew the tear-light on al's armour did everyone else forget? XD) The thing dig scene did seem less impacting then its manga counterpart but it was still good and i liked ed's laugh and im glad they still had him throwing up XD On both sub and RAW i watched it cut just on the part where winry looks at ed's back gaaaaaaah so i can't really give my verdict on that part xD i hope they kept at least some edwin in, oh i loved ed blushing when talkin about winry marrying one of them as kids XD hahaha, oh and i liked the little detail about what ed and al making was male, although the manga heavily hinted it anyway

nuuuuuu no brotherhood next week! *cry*
Womie

Well .. Does anyone know why? :c
Zii
QUOTE (Womie @ Aug 18 2009, 09:33 PM) *

Sport. >C
It might be the athletics thing that's on at the moment.

ETA: I haven't seen the subs for this ep yet, I wait for Madman to do it on Fridays (goodie two-shoes doesn't download her subs)... so I had no idea they butchered even an important plot point such as where the heck Al's body is, the link and etc.
I think it's time for me to resolve that all this series is good for is pretty pictures. xD
Kasumisty
QUOTE (Womie @ Aug 18 2009, 02:03 PM) *

Some World Championships are going to be broadcasted then
Womie
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Aug 18 2009, 06:37 AM) *
QUOTE (Womie @ Aug 18 2009, 02:03 PM) *

Some World Championships are going to be broadcasted then

Ah, thank you very much happy.gif
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Aug 17 2009, 08:05 PM) *
Hohenheim just seems like a mysterious douchebag in this episode.

Pretty much describes my impression of him perfectly.

Seems I'm the only one who was really satisfied with his voice though. Suited the 'mysterious douchiness' just perfectly. And I was so relieved he didn't have Father's voice (but do they have the same VA, anyone know?), that would have been awful.

What would have been nice though, would be if Father would've been sharing Hohenheim's current voice, so that "Oh-sh*t-they're-the-same-guy!!" feeling would've been fully preserved. I mean, it's still there, to a certain point, but their similiarity is way less obvious now. You get that they in fact aren't the same person, new to the franchise or not.

(Duhh.. don't know if I'm being coherent or not. Definitely don't feel like it. Must be all the excessive beating of head into various things/objects/surfaces...)

Anyway, I overall enjoyed this episode. People say it feels bleak compared to last weeks episode. I don't get that. Last episode emphasized on action, while this was a more mellow episode dealing with plot developement and such. You need a break from the heat once in a while to be able to appreciate it. I don't feel that rating a certain episode based on the ammount of tension and suspense featured is really fair.

Missed the hair-braiding scene and I agree that Hohenheim gave somewhat of a too serious impression. Where's the old screwball we know and (have learned to) adore?
But it didn't bother me that much.

The shovel scene was handled allright. Not great, I did feel that something was lacking. But then again, I never felt that scene was too powerful in the manga either. I mean, yes, he is digging up the thing he believes to be the remains of his dead mother. But the thing is, I never managed to get my head around what the heck it was that Ed discovered that made him go "WAHAHAHA!! The answer was right here from the beginning!" and convinced him that Al could get back to normal.

Same goes for when he explained what he found out to Al on the stairway. It felt more understandable here (in the manga they completely lost me at this point), even if they didn't really explain the "armor-not-being-able-to-store-memories-hence-Al's-body-is-still-around" - thing.
Chiyo
QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Aug 18 2009, 09:44 AM) *
I laughed at the very end though, everything's all dramatic then Winry says "has his back always been so big?" or something like that. I know what it means, but in literal terms, it just seemed funny.

It did when they made that scene so dramatic, it was the music that did it I think.

I forgot to mention the "we're eating" bit, the exact picture it was in the manga which I'm glad they kept to lighten things up a little bit.
Nzm
Not bad EP, but there were some better ones.

The storyline was quite following the manga (execept of the philosophical part about mind and soul as well as some Ed/Hohenheim humour). The animation did good work, especially in the grave digging scene. Music was quite repetitive but I loved that tremolo melody in Ed's nightmare scene (I think that it was taken from the original anime but not sure).

BTW. I lol'd when they've shown wine bottles with 'BONES' written on them.

Also, why the hell would they show stupid championship instead of FMA?

PS. Next episodes are going to be awesome.
edxwinryfan
QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Aug 18 2009, 04:44 AM) *
I read the corresponding manga chapters SO long ago that I can't remember what's been included and what hasn't been included.

Yeah I think that she should have actually said "Have his shoulders always been that broad?"
Or something like that.
RoyxRizaFan
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Aug 17 2009, 11:05 PM) *
It would have been a little richer if more of those little moments between Hohenheim and Edward were included. Hohenheim just seems like a mysterious douchebag in this episode. In the manga he comes off as being more weird and removed, muttering to himself and making observations on things while Edward is trying to express his anger towards him. Hohenheim is supposed to appear sort of flakey. Here, he's just a d***.

I thought what they were going for with Hohenheim's first apperance is, they presented you little hints about him, how he abandoned his family and his wife died soon after, obviously intending the reader to hate him, but when you finally meet him, it's hard to be angry because he acts so weird. So, you become more unnerved than upset at the character. I guess that was just my point of view.

*nods*

I love manga Hoho simply because he is like that - mysterious, yet funny and quirky in a weird way. He's such an original character, and I felt like his scenes were completely botched. All the humor was drained out of it, making him seem the same as the anime1 Hoho, who was really serious and could be very annoying at parts...if you know what I mean. Just not a loveable character! So they've set the entire mood wrong for him, because is there's anyone just watching Brotherhood with no past FMA knowledge, they're hating Hoho for being such a jerk to come, show no emotions at his dead wife's grave, say like nothing to his son, and then ditch again after making Pinako cook for him.

And his voice annoys me.

That Italian bistro music was so bad I wanted to cry. So I guess they still managed to get me on the verge of tears, though it wasn't because of all the dramatic angst.

I thought they were going to cut Izumi crying. I'm happy they kept it, because at that point I was like, "cut anything else, and you're going down!"

Al's speech didn't bother me. I like how he says things like that now and then, because it really shows how different he is than the more passive (still loveable) Al from the first anime.

///rant done///
penguintruth
Well, even the first series got Hohenheim's "removed" nature down, with him muttering about things now and then. Here, they had that extra step of flakiness already in the manga, but they didn't use it. Sometimes Bones seems to have trouble choosing what to put in. Granted, it's only a 20 something minute episode, but it's not like they can't stretch out the material. The manga's 98 chapters and it's still going.
Elle-chan
I love the series so far. But i think they are rushing it a little bit.
ShadowCat17
yo couple posts up, put spoiler tags for hoho and father not being the same person - even though its not as ambiguous w/ the voices being different, it's still not certain
thunderbreak
i think they cut some of the hoho scene at beginning.yeah ,i agre that we initially gets to "hate" hoho bcos of ed,but when he finally meets him it's hard to hate him lol...i read some of the anime viewers comment ,and it seems like they want to turn hoho like as thought he is a villian.
i like it where ed digs the grave.at the final part,his motions get quicker and he use his hands instead of the digger and he gets frantic..i think the motion part there is quite good.it pulls your heartstrings on.another part i think the anime retains the manga spirit is when hoho touches ed's head,and where hoho looks at the door when telling pinako about the not-trisha thing.
um about the music (italian?-i'm not that familiar with the music compare to spanish ones) appears at al's flashback and ed's dream is ugghh....music inconsistency ...
and about ed's back...that's the part i laughed at along with ling's chicken.not sure why.
for music..well i like it where ed calls izumi.i think it's clarinet/bassoon(cant remember exactly) but it's really good.but the return call music from izumi is too...urggh

yeah,ed sounds like a girl when laughing.i think it's a bit inevitable(stilll i prefer it if sounds more like a male).but still,good vomit part.
i am more looking forward to next ep.not sure why,thought the dug grave scene in the manga is one of my fav and it has a huge impact for me .umm..riza face back to FA norm.roy 's looks good however,and i think they kept the tempo intact,especially at ed & al clapping scene
ShadowCat17
yeah, the Ed-laughing was definitely like the Yagami Light freakout in Deathnote. it made me lol
Rainshine
I really liked this episode... we finally get to see Hohenheim, and it got to the part about how the thing they transmuted wasn't really their mom.
I really liked the part where Ed was digging up the grave, and i loved his crazy laugh. laugh.gif
And I wanted to hug him when he was vomiting for some reason... dry.gif
The music in this episode was really great too!

Can't wait for the next one. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.