Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 19: The Death Of The Undying - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 4. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 19 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 19 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode

* HD Screen caps of this episode to be posted on this link address sometime later

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, with episode title from official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 19: "The Death of the Undying"
The operation by Roy and the gang against the Homunculi is coming to a big conclusion. Following Barry who is searching for his body, Roy, Havoc, Al and others sneak into the basement of the Third lab. They separate into two teams and proceed farther. There, Roy and Havoc run into Lust, and they learn about the Homunculi and their secret for the first time. Even though still in a state of confusion and wonderment, Roy manages to come up with the quick tact, and blasts off Lust with a huge explosion. But, regenerated by the amazing power of Philosopher's Stone inside, suddenly she revives and impales Roy and Havoc in an instance of their unguarded moment.....

Also, FYI, preview of the next episode (episode 20) from FMA-2 official JP site
(Translation by Tombow, the episode title is from official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 20: "TBA"
TBA....

=======================================

Episode Summary: (To be filled)

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes, to be filled)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
penguintruth
My initial impressions:

- Gluttony's voice is still awful
- Where's Ranfan vs Envy?!?
- I love Barry so much.
- Lust's jiggling breasts... as Havoc says, "BOING! BOING! BOING!" I haven't decided whether it ruins the mood or not. Nah.
- Roy kicks so much [All hail lord Xenu]. I'm not a HUGE Roy fangirl... er, boy, but oh god, he is awesome this episode. Shinichiro Miki has also earned my admiration.
- Eh, the Riza voice didn't make it for me, though. Riza still sounds too girlish in this series. When she screams, it's like she's a grade schooler who got into a fight with her boyfriend. Michiko Neya would have nailed this scene.
- Rie Kugimiya did a good job as Al this episode. Even more than usual, I mean.
- Barry ;_;
- HOHO PAPA!
- Great episode overall. Not flawless, but noteworthy.

Arakawa's writing skills shine through in this episode.
KEKU
Well, I was so excited for this episode that I went through the trouble of watching it as it aired, and I have to say this is probably my favourite episode so far.

I'm pretty disappointed about no Envy, (and also my favourite scene was missing where Ling slices Gluttony in half >_>), but I guess it was a necessary loss to make sure there was enough time for the Roy/Lust fight, which I thought was spectacular. I was worried they were gonna save it to the last 5 minutes of the episode, but thankfully they gave the scene ample time to play out without being too over-paced...

Anyhoo, some of the character designs looked a bit funky again this ep (what was up with Winry's eyes? Also Barry looked kinda weird, again.) But otherwise, the animation seemed good. I really liked that Lust's eyeball was half sticking out when she regenerated, lmao. But Roy burning her was amazing.

Anyway, overall I thought it was a great ep. I miss Ling/Lan-Fan vs. Homunculi (not terribly though), but otherwise they didn't cut anything else important, just little bits.

tl;dr - fantastic episode, I think they did Roy vs. Lust justice.

(Also I think this is my first post..... hah.)
black~hayate
Okay... I'll try...

-We got brand new music I never heard before! It's awesome! Even at the preview of the next episode there was different music this time!
-They (Bones and exactly the people who were doing this episode) overlapped the ending song with the anime end. I think it's a nice effect. Again, it's their first time doing this.
-Wow, it all was exactly mangalike... manga panel after manga panel animated. There's only one thing that wasn't exactly like in the manga: When Al and Riza help Roy to stand up after the battle. I dunno why they left that out. Maybe because this time they weren't rushing and time ran out?
-When Lust was burned... I could smell the ash... that looked awesome. But... dunno... making flames realistic in animes is almost impossible =D.
-Lust was animated very good and every movement of her was awesome.
-Riza was like... manga-panel-like. And totally awesome. Too bad she did not get her eyecatch. She needed one more than any one else in this episode.
-Roy looked also totally wow. They showed another side of him. Like, in the whole anime till now he was boring and even a little useless. Now, I bet, he has alooooot of more fans (I'm talking about who haven't seen the first anime and haven't read the manga yet. Who knows, maybe they will read it after this episode)
-Could this be the episode all manga fans were waiting for? That isn't rushed and shows everything (well, I mean the Roy vs. Lust scene) exactly like in the manga with all the awesomeness? It was the best episode so far. Well, IMO
~the end~

UPD:
Yeah I forgot something
-Riza's screams were RLY awful, they made me almost go berserk T__T
-And Barry... I gotta miss him ;____;
amestris_star
Best. Ep. Ever.

And I'm still crying.

Maybe I'll be more coherent later on... with the raw and the sub.
Kale Mustang
Such a fantastic episode - so far it's the best one yet!

Everything was spot on - though during the stream it seemed like the timing was off in a couple of places.

I'll probably have more impressions once the raws & subs come out (watched the raw, more coherent now), but man - Roy just straight up owned this episode.

EDIT:

- Was kinda disappointed that the Riza v. Gluttony fight was a little shorter, but it was good seeing Fuery and Hayate get some screen time before Roy showed up

- Glad they kept the part where Riza yells at Roy (one of the more amusing parts of that chapter)

- Humor/gag drawings were used in the best ways as they didn't seem terribly out of place

- Barry...I'll miss you you homicidal maniac, you were great

- Definitely missed seeing the Xing crew v. Envy - but hopefully it'll be addressed soon in a later episode (it was such another fantastic fight)

- Havoc... ;_; but, at least they kept the boob speech for you (and Lust's breasts jiggling a bit) tongue.gif

- Roy v. Lust pt. 1: extremely brutal, especially when Roy when for the Philosopher's Stone...also, the part where Lust removes Roy's glove was kinda hot tongue.gif

- Riza...nailed it (I thought her voice was perfect for this part as it's apparent that she's emotionally breaking down at that point)

- Yay Alphonose! Always loved that little speech he gave in the manga - was well-done here

- Roy's re-appearance and pt. 2 of his fight with Lust...OMG that was just plain awesome, in an extremely brutal way

- Great way to end the episode with Hohenheim (loved how they used a bit of the ED to transition)
Hey
Best episode yet. <3
Especially the Lust vs Roy. I mean, since it's like the highlight of the ep and all..
I'm glad Havoc got a eyecatch. :3 Because after this he doesn't get a lot of time to shine anymore..

And no more Barry ;_; He was one of my favourite chars. *sob*

Yeah, this episode was just 51 flavours of awesome.
I didn't really notice anything I didn't like about the ep, but I guess I was just too busy fangirling over it .o/
Kirara
The episode was pretty good but definitely not perfect. I mean besides skipping the Ran Fan/Ling Vs Homunculus scenes I also was disappointed that they didn't show the full explosion when Roy used Havoc's lighter to blow up the room (well I guess that is a minor nitpick)

However the scenes with Al not leaving Riza and Roy's re-entrance into the scene were just fantastic. I also loved the ending when Ed sees Hohenheim. It actually felt like the way Arakawa ends a chapter (the anime team seemed afraid to end at a cliffhanger almost).

Also Barry the Chopper ;______________; but I have to admit I didn't feel as sad for his passing as I did in the manga.

Now onto the preview it looks like they are animating chapters 42-44 next week. Not to mention they still need to animate scenes from chapter 40 that involve Roy & Co. that were skipped due to time line changes. If that is the case I am not pleased at all.
TheSentinel
Looked really good, can't wait for the sub.

Only real nitpick was Riza's screams. The first one was fine, the one half way through her ammo was a bit to high-pitched for my ears.

Aside from that the whole scene was fantastic.

I have faith they'll show the aftermath with the military, gotta show Havoc is still alive. I just hope they don't cut the whole Roy berating Riza, Havoc demanding to be left behind, stuff.

The other thing is the whole sensing homunculus. I'm curious about whether they just completely cut the Ran Fan + Ling vs Gluttony + Envy, or did they delay it. I can see either happening. While I suspect its cut, and they'll incorporate it into the Gluttony + Wrath vs Ran Fan + Ling fight, it then begs the question of how they set up Ed's plan on drawing out a homunculus or two.
edo little kid
Woooooooow , what a awesome ep ever!!!!

the fight between Roy vs Lust was damn perfect!!!

I don't care about Ranvan vs Envy but , may be we see it in other ep!
I'm enjoyed this epic fight Roy/Lust!!!
Jane Havoc <3 !!!!!!!!!!
I just want cry with Riza!!!!!
(Al not leaving Riza great part )
Love *RoyAi* this ep!!!!!!!!
also , Baryy T_______T aaaah!!!

I'm looking forward to next week happy.gif
Michiyo-
Best episode. I really liked it, so much action, Royai moments, everything... I need to find the raw and watch it again and again. Then again with subs. This is my favourite episode. biggrin.gif
mellulah
I haven't seen the new episode yet but im very dissapointed they cut out the Envy+Gluttony vs RanFan+Ling. It was one of my favourite scenes and I hope they add it in later but I don't think thats likely.
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (mellulah @ Aug 9 2009, 09:59 AM) *
I haven't seen the new episode yet but im very dissapointed they cut out the Envy+Gluttony vs RanFan+Ling. It was one of my favourite scenes and I hope they add it in later but I don't think thats likely.

Yeah it's totally gone and Envy and Ranfan aren't even in the ep. The only combat involves Mustang, Hawkeye, Al and Havoc vs Lust and the tiny Gluttony part at the beginning. I'm a bit annoyed as the other fight was cool, had some great panels and served as the introduction to Pride. It can't really happen later it wouldn't make ANY sense anywhere else.

Anyway apart from that though the Mustang vs Lust scenes were amazing. The animation was fantastic and I'm glad they paced it well and showed a prolonged burning scene as Arakawa felt she had to rush that part in the manga. This was pretty much the main reason I ever wanted a new FMA series and I wasn't disappointed. I'm looking forward to seeing it in better quality too.
ShadowCat17
yes, mustang finally gets a chance to have a whole episode where he can pwn everything over and over again lol. I'm glad they certainly didn't do much censoring with the fight. I'm pretty sure there were more than one new musical pieces here too, which made things better.

The Ranfan fight might still be included sometime later - it's not a scene that would necessarily be hard to cut out and paste someplace else where it might be more relevant. I hope they do put it in when they're done with the bit on hohenheim
mellulah
QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Aug 9 2009, 12:04 PM) *
Anyway apart from that though the Mustang vs Lust scenes were amazing. The animation was fantastic and I'm glad they paced it well and showed a prolonged burning scene as Arakawa felt she had to rush that part in the manga. This was pretty much the main reason I ever wanted a new FMA series and I wasn't disappointed. I'm looking forward to seeing it in better quality too.

Yeah although I'm dissapointed that the other part was cut the animation looks amazing for this episode. It's always better with the gory detail XD I just hope they make it as good in the Mustang vs Envy fight. The quality seems to have really picked up this episode.
rzerox21xx
The episode blew my mind away, the animation, the way the characters look. it was so awesome. Roy look so badass and there were moments that Riza sound very Rukiaish but I think her seiyuu is doing a great job as well. I like her scream and moment of hopelessness and Roy coming to her rescue. Yes, I'm aware they cut out Ling, Ranfan vs Envy but have faith that Bones will just move that part right before the Gluttony and Bradely fight. The episode was suppose to show focus to Roy's group. I'm sure the xingese characters will have their shining moment episode. I hope atleast.
Aribelle
O.O this was an intense episode. Wow. I reeeeally liked it! Riza's screaming was not exactly my favorite part...but I don't think I would have like anyone screaming. I'm just not a fan of people screaming laugh.gif but otherwise...I loved it! The partswith the tears after Riza had just ran out of bullets against Lust was...amazing. They did a really great job with this episode!

However...I'm more than a little miffed that they cut out the Ran Fan vs. Envy part. I get that it didn't do much for plot development and that the story won't really suffer without it, but I was looking forward to that part. It seems like they're moving on in the story so they won't be able to have it in. I am le sad.

But the preview did look good. I liked how they did the part where Ed was digging up the grave. That's such a powerful scene. I can't wait to see it.
Forsaken Love
this episode was really good, Riza was pulling at my heartstrings when she thought roy was dead, the stabbing scene was great and Roy look hawt when he came back to burn lust (no pun intended XD)

I am actually really dissopointed about the lack of ling and ran fan vs gluttoney, we dont get that priceless expression they both have at finding envy cant die, and it is pretty important, as it gave ling some prectice in fighting homunculi before he offered to help ed in the later plot, and its all character development, im sad as it gave ran-fan some time to shine before you know what happens, and ling to really before the other you know what happens, its also are first intro of pride and i was looking forward to seeing how he sounded, these VERY occasional parts with pride before he was revealed really made me intrigued reading the manga also ling cutting gluttoney in half was just epic, and we had a bit of foreshadowing with envy's true form when he got really mad at ling, and come to think of it there are even small details here reffered to later on like envys wheite on the bar.

Don't get me wrong this episode was really great but I just feel that scene was important, I thought they'd include it next week i really did, but the preview dont look promising for that, it allready looks like they are covering a hell of a lot next week, i was very surprised to see ed back with winry and al, thats a lot to cram in, mmm
SneakyRuler
Is it just me or do injured/dying people have a lot of life in Brotherhood? How come Roy can stand in one moment and then he falls down and after falling down he can turn his head so quickly. Unusual about a passing out person... And Barry's body crawled a big deal after being cut ohmy.gif

Anyway I liked this ep. Can't tell how much yet without seeing the sub version but... amazing. Burning Lust is a scene you don't come to very often (not gonna comment on it here, not needed). What made me feel emotional alot was Winry waiting for Al. Don't know why. Love it in manga and love it here, especially since it's obvious that Al had been through a lot. And Barry's death actually gave me freezes all over.
On the 'lighter' side I missed Havoc's last words how bad his luck with women is.

About the Ling and RanFan killing off Envy I kind of hoped Bones would show this the next episode. Obvously I was wrong. How can then be explained their ability to sense the Homunuculi? Will they just randomly go out in the streets and there see Envy?
Claudius
Just one more life point, and Lust would have killed Roy. Thank you, Maes Hughes, for saving your best friend's life...

Does anyone think Havoc's dating Lust might have played a part in Hughes' death?

Also, VERY trivial comment...does anyone feel cheated that unlike Edward, Roy, Ling, and Alex...we never got a scene of Hughes in his pectoral-abdominal glory?
black~hayate
QUOTE (Claudius @ Aug 10 2009, 12:12 PM) *
Just one more life point, and Lust would have killed Roy. Thank you, Maes Hughes, for saving your best friend's life...

Does anyone think Havoc's dating Lust might have played a part in Hughes' death?

No. Havoc started to going out with Lust, when he was moved to central. And he was moved with the rest of Roy's group after Hughes' death.

Haha, I need to write this: I loved Hayate in this episode >D.
Trakonda
..I'm speechless. 8D

This definitely was the BEST episode out of all so far. The emotion, animation, drawing style.. it all was pretty much.. perfect.
I really had tears in my eyes SO many times.

Also, the last scene was really nicely done. I always loved in the first FMA how they started playing the ending music before the episode was over. It gives some sort of extra emotion. :3

I really hope that Bones will keep up with this quality!

(oh, and about the next episode.. the baby-Al seriously made my heart melt. Awwww. <3 And Ed's grave-digging .. I've been waiting for that part some time now! )
Nzm
Epic episode. It's quite different from the manga but still really good. But it's still a shame that Lust and Barry died. Anyway, Colonel was awesome today biggrin.gif. Also, nice that they didn't remove some of manga humor (though I missed Roy and Havoc ironizing about being burnt). About more serious stuff: Lust's painful screaming was terrifying. But too little Ed here (actually, almost no Ed).

Apart from storyline, music and animation were awesome as well. At first I was going to criticize the animation, but at first I was just watching from extremely laggy server. After watching it from better website, it's good as always.

The next episode is going to be nice, but rather nothing special. There will be some sad stuff, but probably not as intense as episode 4. Anyway, showing some mysteries about Hohenheim is nice idea - just if they don't reveal too much because I'd like retrospective episode about Xerxes (which they can't skip as it's too important) to be surprising.

PS. LOL, AlXWinry shippers who didn't read manga will love this episode. Hopefully, if they watch the next ones, they'll be disappointed.
Chiyo
QUOTE (Trakonda @ Aug 10 2009, 01:26 PM) *
<3 And Ed's grave-digging .. I've been waiting for that part some time now! )

An emotional scene, they'll have to be careful with it. Looks like they'll speed through that time fairly quickley if they have Ed back with Winry and Al in the next one too (we know whats coming soon now too).

Seems an odd thing to say, but I like how you're not encouraged to like Lust. You might think she's cool but there is little space for pity, which is helpful when watching her die over and over again. Even when she mentions Roy's honest eyes it's only because she's looking forward to him feeling pain! As I said it's a curious thing, but I think with Barry being likeable (when he's a slicing maniac) if Lust had been too it would have taken something away from the horror that are the homonculous.

Barry's end...sad moment...nicely done.
Full Metal Elf
OMG OMG OMG

The episode was FREAKING AMAZING!!

This fight has always been one of my absolute favorites in the manga and I was NOT disappointed!! The music was great, the animation was great...they didn't leave anything out that I can think of (that was important enough).

I am SOO Happy with it right now! ^_____^
Cece
As a RoyAi fan I just have a little nitpick about the otherwise awesome Lust scenes. They left out Lust's line where she says "That woman doesn't want to to keep living". Which implies Riza won't live if Roy doesn't because he's her reason to live in chapter 39. Other than that Lust was great and her voice actress was awesome.
SonPan
Wow IM not a Mustang fan girl but man he was awesome in this episode... left a bigger effect on me than the manga did!

I made this so anyone who wants to use it be my guest smile.gif
amestris_star
SonPan... that is so... AWESOME!!! Thank you!
mandymtt
Am I the only one who is seriously annoyed with how they made riza in the anime. Her eyes look like shes on CRACK. They made her scream like a banshee. The panel shots of her looks amazing, but if shes not angry looking or in a battle I think she looks like a little girl.

This ep made that chapter more amazing. You could tell they wanted that battle to be nice, the animation was great. Roy is EPIC...
SonPan
No Prob...
I just couldnt stop myself smile.gif
penguintruth
This was by far the best episode of the the series thus far. The art and animation was (mostly) great, there was action and suspense, the music was spot on, and it just felt big and noteworthy. In fact, I'll go as far as saying that it's as good, if not better, than any of the best episodes of the first series, and I was a huge fan, and continue to be a huge fan, of that series. Really, I felt like this was one of those episodes that did Arakawa's story justice. It's one of those episodes of an anime that I'll always remember.

Now, it wasn't perfect, mind you. I personally don't mind saving the fight between the Xingese characters and Envy and Gluttony for another episode, but there are a few important story elements that are in that battle that would have been better introduced sooner rather than later. Then there's the voice acting by the voice actress for Riza Hawkeye, which I felt was too girlish, like she was a grade school girl crying over a fight with her boyfriend. I felt like the VA for Riza in the first series could have captured her anguish without it sounding so cheesy.

Then, of course, there's my opinion of Lust as a whole, and how I preferred the more constructed Lust in the first series, but this is hardly the time to even bring that up, since she did serve her purpose here. She didn't exactly go to waste, even though she wasn't as important as the first series.

Anyway, a hallmark episode. And I look forward to seeing Edward confront his father in the next episode.

RoyxRizaFan
Definitely my favorite so far, and it may seem like I"m saying this with a biased RoyAi opinion, but because I'm such a rabid fan of the pairing (and the two characters themselves), I was being even more critical than usual as I watched it because it meant a lot, being one of my all time favorite stories.

Firstly, the animation was wonderful. It was consistant throughout most of the episode, and then the part where Roy was setting Lust on fire like that...it was just perfect at that part. It really blew me away because I wasn't expecting it to be that good.

Only distracting part was the second and third screams. It kind of reminded me of the season finale of LOST where Sun saw Jin die and she screamed once and it was fine, and then she forced out two more screams that really took me out of the moment...but it wasn't as bad as that, still pretty overdone though.

Overall, I adored the episode, and I cannot wait to see what they do with Hoho Papa next week! (and they'd better work in that fight scene with Envy sometime)
Vagrant
Lust chopping up Barry was a bit cool.
That's literally the only positive thing I have to say about this episode. (okay; Al talking about protecting people was also good)

I didn't like the way they cut, directed and animated just about all of it. Cinematography paled in comparison to the framing of the manga. And especially since this episode featured some of the best manga moments evar.
Missing the Xingese fight was about the worst thing about it. But I have a ton of nitpicks; the way certain characters looked, lighting, Roy's physique, missing lines, Gluttony stuff, etc.

I'll admit they did some things as reasonably as should be expected, but still. The amount they're consistently getting wrong really bothers me.
I'm quite shocked that so many of you were happy with it.

Gah. I pretty much lost faith in this adaptation being even halfway decent in comparison to the manga a couple of episodes ago.
Imbris
lalala not reading anyone else's comments - I don't want to see the whining! tongue.gif

Great episode! Incredibly action-packed with multiple serious plot developments! Clearly the best episode of the series so far.
Zii
QUOTE (Vagrant @ Aug 11 2009, 05:11 PM) *
I'll admit they did some things as reasonably as should be expected, but still. The amount they're consistently getting wrong really bothers me.
I'm quite shocked that so many of you were happy with it.

Gah. I pretty much lost faith in this adaptation being even halfway decent in comparison to the manga a couple of episodes ago.

Depressing, isn't it?
I really enjoyed this episode while watching it live, and then I realised soon after it finished: they're not trying to live up to the manga. They had their chance to make a bloody great awesome series that'll be remembered for ever, and they stuffed it up. All we can do now is enjoy what's left of the carcass-- um, I mean we should appreciate that they've bothered to animate anything for us at all. Gosh we're ungrateful cretins *tsk*

Also, it's stirring up the fandom again, and we can go and nag people into reading the manga \o/
FailToImpress
^At times like this I think we should even just be grateful they've made it into an anime series, for a long while there was never going to be another.

Oh well. I liked it a lot, that's all that matters really smile.gif

I even had tears in my eyes at a few points, I'm somewhat of a Royai fan.

They only tiny tiny thing that I didn't like was Riza's screaming, it didn't sound right. Although, I don't like her voice much anyway so there you go haha.
TheGreed
This new series has been entertaining for me, but this episode just blew me away, rarely does an anime really amaze me.

The animation through out the episode was fantastic, Roy's flames were really brought alive and nicely animated. Also it's nice to see they've fixed Lust's spear fingers (I remember in the episode where she intended to kill Hughe's they looked a bit awkward.) Also where she was dieing and disintergrating away was greatly animated, very impressive, they really went all out for this one!

Seems like there was new music introduced, i wonder if they held back using it for this moment alone, well whether they did or not, it was greatly timed and made the scene of Roy killing Lust even greater, i feel any of the earlier music in the series wouldn't of made the scene as intense.

As for people complaining about Riza's VA, i think it's best not to compare to the first series. I barely remember what Riza sounded like though so I don't have much complaints tongue.gif although her screaming did hurt my eyes a tad.

Also although i love the Xing characters, i'm happy they left it out, although it would've been great to see, i think if we were going back and forth between the fights it would make the episode seem all over the place. A wise decision I say.

Great episode, I won't be forgetting this one, and I hope they continue out doing themselves during certain battles (Although i think that episode alone has made me a huge Roy fan, i'm more interested in his fights xD)
I look forward to the next episode, I always loved Ed's and his dads scenes together.
zonkiethegreat
WOW...did anyone else notice Roy's ROCK HARD ABS? and yet...smaller head and huge hands??? That threw me off a bit.

The "Roy" drawn in the manga tends to have a more prominent jawline. Eh anyways its no biggie.

But WOW...those abs...nice! biggrin.gif

I loved the scene where he was burning up Lust. It was very well done.

I also thought that Riza's second scream was a bit off. Kinda weird. Maybe the dub will be better.

All in all, a great episode. Came pretty quickly? I wasn't expecting it so soon I guess.
Claudius
QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Aug 11 2009, 01:28 PM) *
WOW...did anyone else notice Roy's ROCK HARD ABS? and yet...smaller head and huge hands??? That threw me off a bit.

But WOW...those abs...nice! biggrin.gif

Physical conditioning is part of being an Alchemist. Just ask Ed and Alex.

Still wish we got to see Hughes without a shirt...
Jen_Elric
Well, I was so amazed at this episode, that after watching it last night, I forgot to comment on it!
The whole episode was fantastic. Definetely my top fave. I didn't even miss the Xingese fight with Envy and Gluttony (even though I'm looking forward to that as well)!
I didn't mind Riza's screaming. I even teared up when she had that hopeless look on her face.
Poor Barry. It was nice having him around.
Roy was made of so much epic! Loved watching him kick some [All hail lord Xenu]!
Al was so darn cool! Protecting Riza like that. I'm loving this more active Al.
LOL! I loved when Al's arm fell off at the end!
HOHENHEIM!!!! I'm soooo looking forward to the next episode!
Red Shrimp
Fantastic episode. Lust and Roy VA did an excellent job for this episode, same goes to Riza and Alphonse.

And I definitely liked how the ending song got in the part where Edward saw Hohenheim.

Story's progressing really fast.
FMAobsessed
I liked the episode for all the same reasons that everyone else did. For some reason I am not big on characters or people screaming. But Riza's screaming was for a Royai moment so it is ok.

The staff really put in a lot of effort with that episode. Especially the fight. Roy is merciless. (And also hot with his shirt open)

Bye Barry.
Broken Chouchou
Good. Entertaining. Music I liked. Bouncy boobs took away a bit of the mood; or actually, it wasn't so much the boobs as the sound effects. BOING!! Anyway, Lust was haawt, and is my favourite homunculus character. And now she's gone. Too bad she has such a small part in the manga.

Didn't like Gluttony scene, his voice is not good, and the ridiculous scream when falling out of church made me giggle sarcastically, at the awefulness.

Too tired to write coherent, developed thoughts. Sorry.

Anyway. Pretty good ep.
TheSentinel
Not to jump on anyone for their opinions, but I'll offer one of my own.

IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion):

Lots of things switch formats: book to movie, tv show to movie, movie to book, comic to movie, manga to anime, anime to manga, etc. etc etc.

My best advice, don't try to confuse one for the other. They aren't identical pieces. Compare them all you wish, point out things you liked or disliked. Just don't expect perfection... its not possible.

I love the Manga, probably one of the best stories I've ever read (books included). I enjoyed the first anime (it led me to the manga). I'm loving the new anime. The manga remains better IMNSHO, but just because they aren't animating the manga frame by frame its not going to be a 'perfect' adaptation.

Enjoy the series (or don't, after all its you can make up your own mind).
Phoenix-Hawk
Yep, this is one of the best episodes so far...
The animation was just awesome, so was the part when Mustang was burning Lust...
I thought Hawkeye screaming was a tiny tiny bit over the top though
Imbris
QUOTE (TheSentinel @ Aug 12 2009, 10:35 PM) *

Lots of things switch formats: book to movie, tv show to movie, movie to book, comic to movie, manga to anime, anime to manga, etc. etc etc.

My best advice, don't try to confuse one for the other. They aren't identical pieces. Compare them all you wish, point out things you liked or disliked. Just don't expect perfection... its not possible.

I love the Manga, probably one of the best stories I've ever read (books included). I enjoyed the first anime (it led me to the manga). I'm loving the new anime. The manga remains better IMNSHO, but just because they aren't animating the manga frame by frame its not going to be a 'perfect' adaptation.

Excellent, excellent post. I couldn't agree more!
Jealous Rogo
QUOTE (TheSentinel @ Aug 12 2009, 07:35 PM) *

Seconded (Thirded?)

Now onto the episode itself.

- Okay first to address the main thing they removed from this episode, Ling and Lan Fan VS Envy and Gluttony. I am dissappointed to see this gone but at the same time, I'm not surprised nor do I think it's a great loss. It only served these purposes a. introducing Ling to the concept of Homunuculus (word of mouth will sort that out no doubt) and b. to introduce Envy's shapeshifting to Al and spark the conversation in the car, c. introducing that Lan Fan and Ling can recognise Homunculus by their weird energy and d. introducing, in voice, Pride (which is the only thing I'm really sad is gone)

- I like that Hawkeye didn't call that thing on Gluttony's tongue a tattoo. I don't know why but it pleased me. I know it's a tattoo but I just don't think you'd make that leap when you saw it on someone's TONGUE. I also think it's funny that in the manga Hawkeye accepted the fact Gluttony was an Homunculus whereas in the anime Hawkeye seemed more skeptical.

- The Homunculus were so creepy in this episode, mostly achieved by the fact that they weren't having their asses handed to them by Ling and Lan Fan Gluttony standing up gave me chills, don't ask me why. As did Lust from start to finish.

- Speaking of Lust. YES, YES, FREAKING YES. THIS is what Lust should be like dammit! Not moping over memories, having one facial expression and fawning over Scar. Sorry I don't hate the original anime and I like it for it's merits but I HATE the first series' version of Lust for being just... bad. I love seeing Lust here, being her cruel, methodical self. I don't care if she has less depth, she's badass. I love the cruel smile they've given her for the anime (that was somewhat there in the manga) it just betrays her true nature so simply.

- Is it me or were Lust's nails bigger and more claw like than ever in this episode?

- Love Mustang's expression when getting drenched. I love that he turned it back on Lust even more.

- Sorry? What was that Mustang? You know her body is near because of the smell? Sorry don't you mean because of the fat in the air making your lips sticky? No, definately the smell? Okay then. No censorship there. In all seriousness that change lept out at me as strange. Was the original just too gruesome for BONES?

- Poor Havoc, I kinda miss his 'I have the worst luck with women' line.

- God Mustang's ripping out Lust's stone was even more brutal than in the manga. Maybe just because of Lust's agonized scream after it happened.

- Bye bye Barry, we'll miss you sad.gif

- Hawkeye's voice actor has vindicated herself in my eyes. I have to admit I was a tiny apprehensive about her really girly voice, but she pulled off that shooting scene brilliant. The agony in her voice sold it to me so well. Not believed in grief like that in this series since episode 2.

- That being said why did they change Hawkeye emptying her clip, reloading, tossing aside her gun and then using her revolver to her having three guns? That was just weird but I guess it worked. She was just grabbing weapons and firing out of grief so it makes sense, I guess?

- How does BONES manage to make something already very brutal, even more brutal. Watching Lust being killed over and over again by Mustang was both awesome and almost a little disturbing. Lust's voice actress did a great job with her. Her screams were greatand made a chill run down my spine. Watching this I can't wait til he does the same thing to Envy

- Glad they kept Bradley, even if he did very little, he was necessary.

- Great ending, damn them ending before we hear his voice.
Nzm
QUOTE (TheSentinel @ Aug 13 2009, 04:35 AM) *

Fourthed. It's called adaptation for a reason - they adapt the story, don't copy it. Anyway, wouldn't it be borinbg to watch the sxact copy of manga? You'd know what happens and what everyone says and... everything. There would be no surprise, no suspense. It would be more like a tribute to Arakawa's comics than the actual series.
Zii
QUOTE (Nzm @ Aug 13 2009, 10:47 PM) *
wouldn't it be borinbg to watch the sxact copy of manga?

People say this so often.
No.
Is it boring watching half a copy of the manga? ;D You watch for the same reason I do, presumably: I want to see this manga animated, because I love this series and an anime will give it a boost in life, both in my personal interest and in the fandom's interest (therefore prolonging it).

I know because of the nature of screen media that some changes need to be made for the adaptation. However, these changes shouldn't be removing everything that isn't an important plot point. They're cutting out good content for the sake of time and budget. Since they won't get another chance to do this justice, it's such a pity they couldn't get more from their investors.

You'd know what happens and what everyone says and... everything. There would be no surprise, no suspense. It would be more like a tribute to Arakawa's comics than the actual series.
We still know what happens and what everybody is saying. I don't watch all of the subbed episodes, because I don't need to - and the words of Japanese I understand can be counted on a pair of hands xD The only surprises are getting to some parts of the story in a different order (Maria Ross/Xerxes).

@ Tombow: Time for an 'argue in here plz' thread, amirite? (;
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.