Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anime Recommendations
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Dickens
thank you, i'll look into it.

any other suggestions guys?

im getting a mate to lend me d gray-man and trgun, because ive noticed that they've recieved alot of reccomendations
Waterbender899
Guess i will. I would Recommend the following.

SHOWS:

Azumanga Daioh. Excellent watch very much... curious was my first. much like Seinfeld though you will Absolutely love it or hate it.

Lucky Star. Same as above. Has the same humor.

Ouran High School Host Club. Very funny episodes. Don't watch if you are a homophobe lol. It is funny though.

FMA. need i go on?

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. One of the best i have ever seen. it can go from stinkin hilarious! to epic to make you go into deep thought.
(Can't think of word)

Cowboy Bebop. Most people will have this i loved it. it just has so many good points to it though it is not my favorite i will say that.

Claymore. This is a girls with guns Shōnen. but it is more then that it deals with humanity and sacrifice it has a lot of gore and blood (Though most of it is purple) and some brief nudity. And it is not like Berserk people do die in this and it is quite intense and sudden. it is a Superb Anime which anyone who can stand the gore should watch.

Death note. most people have at the very least herd of this. it its a Very Good physiological game at least for the first 26 episodes i think after that it gets MUCH worse not sure it was even worth my time. though the first 26 are a work of art a must watch.

Gunsmith Cats. Not a break though but its nice to watch with some popcorn because it is only 3 episodes long. has some minor fan service though.

MOVIES:

My Neighbor Totoro. It is a uber cute film with a lot of heart. All ages can and should watch this. Best of Hayao Miyazaki in my opinion.

Princess Mononoke. Great movie lots of action kind of boring from time to time still good has blood which my family/friends don't care about i would let my little sister watch this its good.

Sonic the Hedgehog The Movie. I know it is Sonic but this movie has.. a charm to it when i had Japanese exchange students over out of all the Anime i had they picked this one and after watching it again it is very appealing.

And FMA movie. think all here have seen that.
samFMA
Does Anyone Know Of A Decent Anime I Should Watch?

Yeah

I have already watched elfen lied, death note, inu yasha, FMA, Gundam wing, DBZ/GT, card captors, and some others.
And not bleach, please.

x
Tombow
Merging samFMA's thread to Anime Recommendations thread. smile.gif

(Anime Recommendations thread has a good recommendations, and so as Something like FMA? thread.)
samFMA
Alot of people i know watch bleach, it seems extrememly mainstream, its almost like a trend where i live? i dunno, anyway i tried watching about 5 episodes in and got a bit bored. I'm not sure if its just like, slow starting or somthing biggrin.gif but should i continue? it seems pretty cool once you get into.

Tombow
@samFMA - If you'd like, you can also discuss more about the Bleach on Bleach anime thread. smile.gif
KenRik
Ei all. ^^ recommendations, recommendations...

Gundam 00
Shaman King
Ouran (for those who go for shoujo)
Lovely Complex
Rave Master
Samurai Champloo
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Detective Conan Movies
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

smile.gif well, that's all I got. ^^
xxangelchanxx
For mecha fans Macross frontier and code geass. ^^
For moe fans air.
for mystery/horror higurashi no naku koro ni and death note.
For harem shuffle!.
miggols99
~ Anime Recommendations? ~

I have only just recently gotten into anime. At the moment, I watch Fullmetal Alchemist and Azumanga Daioh. They are quite a lot different...but I love them both biggrin.gif I love Azumanga Daioh because it is all around hilarious. Fullmetal Alchemist...the storyline is very strong, it has touches of humour in it (the short jokes heh), moving scenes and great music.

I don't want anything overly violent. That means something that violence is the main theme. I tried Yu Yu Hakusho, which I liked at first, but it was just violence all the time after the first few episodes...and I don't really like that.

I hope one of you guys can give me a good recommendation smile.gif
Tombow
@miggols99 - Welcome to the board! biggrin.gif

Have you checked out our Anime recommendation thread?
We got some really good recommendations (IMO ^^) there. biggrin.gif

Also, since you're a fan of FMA anime, Something like FMA? thread may help, too.

And, you didn't mention which FMA anime you're following currently... is that the first FMA series? Or, FMA: Brotherhood series? Anyway, if you are watching only one of them, then you have another FMA series to watch also. Info on FMA's newest anime series, FMA: Brotherhood can be fund on FMA: Brotherhood anime FAQ thread and other threads in our FMA: Brotherhood anime forum.

I'm closing this thread as the duplicate topic of existing thread, but if you have further questions on anime recommendations, or FMA: Brotherhood anime, you can add your posts on these linked threads, and we'll be happy to help you there. biggrin.gif

ETA: June 5, 2009. Merged the thread. smile.gif
miggols99
I just watched the first two episodes of Fruits Basket. I was sceptical at first...the storyline seems a little wacky, but I actually really like it! Thanks to the people that recommended it smile.gif
Forlong
I know this will sound silly, but give Cardcaptor Sakura a shot. It's actually very entertaining.
hand-made-city
I highly recommend Soul Eater! It's got a great art style, really likeable characters, a good story with good added humor, and awesome action sequences! (Scythes, anyone?) My current icon is from Soul Eater!
lunneth
i would have to recomend shakugan no shana
Forlong
Another good one is the comedy School Rumble. It is ha-lar-i-us!
Thane
Literally 3 days ago my friend recommended fma to me and well.......I'm done. I borrowed the dubbed episodes from him and finished today.....and then I watched the movie today and finished that. This really surprises me seeing that I thought I hated anime and I only watched it cause my friend rarely recommends anything like that.
So now I am craving more, much more anime to watch (I dont sit there and do nothing, I usually am working on a project while I watch TV). The only problem I have is that I am very picky with what I watch, Ive been burned too many times before by shows I did like but turned out to mess up at some point or other (Kyle XY anyone?), I hope I'll have better luck with the Anime section of the video universe.

With that said I am looking for anything that falls into all these categories:

1. Dubbed not Subbed, I am always working while I am watching and dont have time to read the screen (plus subbed drives me insane).

2. Something that I dont have to buy/borrow the books to finish the series or to have it make sense. (I dont have very much time to read)

3. Something that's long, probably at least 50 episodes, with a lot of plot twist!!!! (fma was perfect!)

4. Deep, realistic characters!

5. Something that unlike fma, whose romance points left alot to be desired angry.gif If it has romantic sub plots at least let them be well developed and made relevant to the story! I like some romance in their, but not overbearing or like fma kind of dried out.

6. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!! A GOOD, SOLID, NOT NECESSARILY HAPPY (but preferably that way) ENDING THATS SATISFYING!! (you can tell my opinion on fma, one of the best shows Ive ever seen but....grrrrrr)

Plus: I dont like the horror genre and I hate gore.

I hope I dont sound too picky, I read probably 12 pages of suggestions and I got some ideas I am going to look into. I just really want to have a better Idea of what to watch so I dont waste my time.

thanks to whoever takes the time to read this.

(Out of curiosity, does Eureka Seven have a good ending??)
lunneth
@Thane - well i would recomend shakugan no shana to you but it does had quite a bit of gore and its just a regular 26 episode series unless your willing to wait for the second series to be dubbed. it is adictive stuff, and i just wanted to watch any old thing when i remembered seeing it in hmv and decided to watch.
Forlong
QUOTE (Thane @ Jun 14 2009, 01:36 AM) *
With that said I am looking for anything that falls into all these categories:

1. Dubbed not Subbed, I am always working while I am watching and dont have time to read the screen (plus subbed drives me insane).

2. Something that I dont have to buy/borrow the books to finish the series or to have it make sense. (I dont have very much time to read)

3. Something that's long, probably at least 50 episodes, with a lot of plot twist!!!! (fma was perfect!)

4. Deep, realistic characters!

5. Something that unlike fma, whose romance points left alot to be desired angry.gif If it has romantic sub plots at least let them be well developed and made relevant to the story! I like some romance in their, but not overbearing or like fma kind of dried out.

6. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!! A GOOD, SOLID, NOT NECESSARILY HAPPY (but preferably that way) ENDING THATS SATISFYING!! (you can tell my opinion on fma, one of the best shows Ive ever seen but....grrrrrr)

@Thane - My recommendations are:

Cardcaptor Sakura. I actually think that the dub is a bit better than the subbed episodes (dispite the fact that they don't retain most of the Japanese names). It has 70 episodes and two movies: the first occurring after the 35th episode (it's filler), and the second after the last episode. And the romance is important to the plot, which is kind of odd in a story about ten-year-olds. The only thing on your list that it's missing is a lot of plot twists, there are a few but...well...you'll see.

Code Geass is amazingly badass. 50 episodes of awesomeness. I'd tell you more, but I'm tempted to hint my feelings on the ending (and that would be telling).

School Rumble is 52 episodes of halarious.

Rurouni Kenshin. The dub really good, if you can get over someone having a Southern-American accent when she's Japanese (at least it's only a minor character). There are 95 episodes, but most of them are no good. The good episodes are numbers 1-12 & 28-62.
Forsaken Love
to anyone who likes fma (guessin everyone here) I highly recomend D Gray Man, its in a similar genre and is just completly awesome. Also 07 ghost is pretty good, although the anime has just started (and the mangas better XD well they allways are but meh) I'd still defo recomend that

Code Geass FTW
angelstar2408
WAHHH!!!!
*HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!*
> Elfen Lied (not for kids below 13 Lol...cuz I'm 13 laugh.gif)
> Air TV (For drama lovers)
> Lovely Complex (For Comedy and Romance genre lovers)
> Jigoku Shoujo (Also known as Hell Girl.... it's an all in one anime I tell you smile.gif)
> Gunslinger Girl (I think Hawkeye should be a part of this show... Joke! tongue.gif)
> Melancholy of Hruhi Suzumiya (This is cute!)
and lastly....
> Lucky Star (This is so funny! The fact that it doesn't even have a concrete plot!...... laugh.gif)
Haru0496
Hayate no Gotoku and Shakugan no Shana 2?
really nice laugh.gif
echo55
~ Anime Reco ~

Ok.. im looking for a good anime to start watching that has a lot of action.. my taste is naruto, fma(ofcourse), bleach.. i want to find an anime with good fight scenes.. and a good story.. but the story line is expendable if the fights make up for it.. all opinions are much appreciated

<Post merged to Anime Recommendation thread. 08/05/09 ~ Tombow>
Elrico
QUOTE (echo55 @ Aug 5 2009, 05:35 PM) *
~ Anime Reco ~

Ok.. im looking for a good anime to start watching that has a lot of action.. my taste is naruto, fma(ofcourse), bleach.. i want to find an anime with good fight scenes.. and a good story.. but the story line is expendable if the fights make up for it.. all opinions are much appreciated

You can try Yu Yu Hakusho. It's quite classic but it's really great. One of my first anime series.
You can also try Code Geass and Shakugan no Shana.
ScarMySoul
Two that I recently just finished were Gilgamesh and Last Exile..... I do recommend those to anyone..... they're 26 eps long but worth it. happy.gif
thunderbreak
i'm having a few days break so i want to ask 4 ppl on sevveral animes:
1.i just start gundam series and i want to ask whether gundam00 is worthwhile to watch?
2. can anyone recommend series like one piece.
3.and some details on series :baccano!,ninja scroll
4.and a series name :i dot remember its name but it's related to some high class restaurant,i think it's french.
thanks in advance smile.gif
althought i say few days break,i dont mind how long the series is.
onigiri_girl
For the one who loves to watch teenage japanese high school romance with the touch of Classic Musical Theme, I truly recommend you to watch La Corda D'oro Primo Passo
Popogeejo
Forget all this rubbish that's be recommended so far (unless I was the one recommending) and go watch/buy/psychically divine Irresponsible Captain Tylor.
It feels a little dated but that adds to the charm, the dub is solid and it's just funny.
Worth watching just for some of the freeze frame faces.
EniviD EiraM
uhm.... recommendations ??
hmm...

shakugan no Shana, FMA, Death note, Special A...

you decide ... ! sleep.gif
Deadbeat007
I've looked through a lot of anime favorites that are usually attached with Shonen like FMA, but I'm having a hard time finding others that I like. Decent animation and good fight scenes are usually what I notice first.

My other favorites:
- FMA: Brotherhood
- Samurai Champloo
- FLCL
- Soul Eater
- Michiko to Hatchin

Can anyone recommend a similar-ish anime/manga? Thanks. smile.gif
Popogeejo
Give Casshern Sins a try. The fights in that are pretty great.
Deadbeat007
QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Dec 4 2009, 10:05 PM) *

I've gone through the first two eps and really like it so far. Thanks for the rec.
leapyear29
Code Geass
Gurren Lagann
Air Gear
Negima
Naruto SHIPPUDEN
Oh Yeah and D-gray Man it has what you want some realistic stuff with some supernatural biggrin.gif
angelstar2408
Hell Girl (all three seasons!)
Code Geass
Naruto
Claymore
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~
Elfen Lied
K-On
Haruka Nogizaka no Himitsu
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Gundam Seed (And Gundam Seed Destiny)
Lucky Star (If You really are an Otaku you shouldn't miss this!)
Shakugan no Shana (There's also a third season coming up)
Minami-Ke
Sal_san
If you want something that has a mix of moe and 'scary as hell', try "Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni".

If you don't mind something that seems confusing at first in the beginning but explodes into something awesome, watch "Baccano!".

If you're alright with racial jokes and random comedy, and if you have a very busy schedule, search for the five minute anime "Axis Powers Hetalia". -is so fangirling over this-

If you want a rather 'innocent' high school drama, find "Azumanga Daioh".

If you're dying to see a good cat-and-mouse/mind game anime with a good plotline, interesting twists and philosophical questions, watch "Death Note".

And finally, if you want something that's strange, bizzare, philosophical, and sci-fi, watch "Serial Experiments Lain".
Popogeejo
Hey ho! It's time for the only person whose opinion matters to tell you what to watch.

First up is kind of obvious:
Summer Wars. I believe it's coming to DVD/Bluray soon so I encourage you to grab it. If you're gonna download it then try and get the highest res version you can. This is a very pretty film at times so push your computer to it's limit.

Secondly: Durarara!!
I've noticed one or two of you have already been watching this but to the rest of you: Go start it up. I recommend Ecliptic-BSS or AnCo^2 subs when possible. On a related note, if you haven't watched Baccano! by now then go do so.
(Hidamari S3 was also fun but if you didn't like the first two then you won't like this and if you did like the last two then odds are you've already watched this)

Next up, more of a reminder: Legend of Galactic Heroes. http://a.scarywater.net/ca/
It's a long, fairly complex, nicely fleshed out series that is more than worthy of your time. Hopes are high that Central Anime will get their hands on the recently released Blurays for subbing but for now the DVD and Laser Disc rips are serviceable.

For those of you in the US who have Syfy a reminder that the dub of Monster is still chugging along and you should check it out if haven't seen it already.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is also something you should look into if you want some sarcasm and madness. Media Blasters recently picked this up so look out for DVDs soon.

Finally: Taishou Baseball Girls (aka: Taishou Yakyuu Mesume), One Outs and Moyashimon (aka: Moyasimon) are also worth your attention.

So there are my recommendation/reminders of some great stuff you should check out.
fmaexpert
QUOTE (Deadbeat007 @ Dec 5 2009, 05:24 PM) *
QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Dec 4 2009, 10:05 PM) *

I've gone through the first two eps and really like it so far. Thanks for the rec.

did you watch the episode where cashern gets stuck under a rock for the whole episode? i couldnt believe it.

ok, anyway, recommendations.

for new anime, angel beats! n durarara!

old (sorta(some)): nyan koi!, gurren lagann, baccano!, kino's journey

a good laugh: fullmetal panic! fumoffu

singing: nerima diakon brothers (i lke the dub better. its also VERY funny but a lil perverted...)

makes no sense: pani poni dash!

horror: higurashi, school days, elfen lied

pretty sure everybody else listed good adventure or action
LegionofPhoenix
So, I'm looking for 1 or 2 very very good suggestions. Here is a list of my favorite anime. So I'm looking for something with a similar feel or quality to one of these.

Thanks in advance guys & gals.

All of these I watched with Japanese Voices. Except maybe Eureka Seven, it might have been English, can't remember.

Berserk
Eureka Seven
Durarara!! (Much much better than Baccano)
Monster
School Rumble
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (lolz, of course)
Ama-ri
@LegionofPhoenix: You may want to try Soul Eater, Pandora Hearts, D.Gray-man (similar feel to FMA), Bounen no Xamdou/Xam'd: Lost Memories, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (similar feel to Eureka Seven) or Baccano! (should be similar to Durarara, however I've only watched 1 episode of baccano so far, but the team is the same, even the same author)

General Recommentadtions:
No Moe shows here.

Seinen:

Code Geass (Seinen, Genre: Mecha, Sci-Fi, Action)
Higurashi no Naku koro ni (Seinen, Genre: Horror, Gore, Tragedy)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Seinen, Genre: Mecha, Action, Adventure)
Kobato. (Seinen, Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Romance, Slice of life)
Bounen no Xamdou (Xam'd) (Seinen, Genre: Action, Sci-Fi)
Jigoku Shoujo (Seinen, Genre: Horror, Tragedy)
Durarara!! (Seinen, Genre: Action, Urban Fantasy, Mystery?)

Shoujo:

Kodomo no Omocha (Shoujo, Genre: Comedy, Romance, School Life)
Lovely Complex (Shoujo, Genre: Romance, Comedy)
Ojamajo Doremi (Shoujo, Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Slice of life)
Puchi Puri Yuushi (Petite Princess Yucie) (Shoujo, Genre: Fantasy, Comedy, Romance)

Shounen:
Eureka SeveN (Shounen, Genre: Mecha, Aci-Fi, Action)
Pandora Hearts (Shounen, Genre: Fantasy, Adventure)
Soul Eater (Shounen, Genre: Fantasy, Comedy, Action)

Don't know where to put:
Eden of the East (Genre: Mystery)
Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu (Genre: Fantasy, Comedy, Adventure)
LegionofPhoenix
@Ama-ri: I've seen Baccano! (hence the earlier comment about Durarara being so much better), Soul Eater and Gurren-Lagann. I never finished Soul Eat though because I thought it wasn't very good. I loved Gurren-Lagann of course though.

Thanks for the other recommendations though. I'll check out Bounen no Xamdou/Xam'd: Lost Memories, Pandora Hearts and D.Gray-Man. I've definitely seen D.Gray-man at one point in time, but I don't really remember it.

Anyone else?
Thalogens
I really recommend Higashi no Eden/East of Eden too, it's a breath of fresh air smile.gif
And Kanon 2006
LegionofPhoenix
Oh yeah... forgot to mention I've seen Eden of the East and naturally, it is on the top of my list. Haven't seen Kanon yet though.
I.Love.Ed
QUOTE (leapyear29 @ Dec 18 2009, 08:27 AM) *
Code Geass
Gurren Lagann
Air Gear
Negima
Naruto SHIPPUDEN
Oh Yeah and D-gray Man it has what you want some realistic stuff with some supernatural biggrin.gif

It was so good.Thanks for the rec^^
Nuclear Alchemist
FMA and Death Note
Popogeejo
I just going to reinforce my recommendation of Durarara (aka: Drr).
Having finished it now I can say with certainty that you should give it a shot. The end was maybe a bit weak but you can tell they intended to adapt more of the books later. Hopefully sales will be good enough that such is the case, unlike with Baccano. Fun cast, decent action, great stuff.
manga_rock
shaman king shaman king!!!
Lt.Kathryn Lancer
Soul Eater's a great anime. Just came out this year.
Its got a sort of Pop halloween theme to it and its a good mix of comedy and action. It also came from the same studio as FMA so i definitely recommend it biggrin.gif
Mysteria
I second Soul Eater. That's a great one.

If you wanna bawl your eyes out half the time while also watching someone get their butt(EPICALLY) kicked, might as well try Chrono's Crusade, yusyus.

Death Note's great, too. Just make sure your name isn't written in the book, XD.
manga_rock
QUOTE (alchemist x @ Jul 17 2005, 03:08 AM) *
darn I want an anime that is full of sex XD

try negima tongue.gif
caerulcis
You should check the date on a post before you reply to it.
Elricallday
I'm fairly new to anime but i came across one called Clannad and i really love it and find it to be beautiful so you should check it out biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.