Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anime Recommendations
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Little Washu
Spiral (of Destiny) and Case Closed(Detective Conan) are great shows if you like to use your brain in a lot of anime.
Fushi
I highly recommend Rozen Maiden. It's a short series and it's very underappreciated. It really needs more love.
Little Washu
^I like the music in that show. ALI Project also does the .hack//ROOTS songs.
Psyco_Midget
An anime that I would reccomend for you to watch Little_Washu is Naruto Shippuuden and Hellsing. Those tow are awesome! And you get to see Kakashi a lot!Just to ask... what do you think of the anime Chobits and Ouran High School?
Fushi
QUOTE(Little Washu @ Oct 8 2007, 06:10 PM) *
^I like the music in that show. ALI Project also does the .hack//ROOTS songs.

ALI PROJECT does songs for a lot of shows. These include Avenger, Code Geass, Wish, Mirai no Eve, Noir, Kamichama Karin, Maria-sama ga Miteru, among others. They're a great band all around, their non anime stuff is good too and sometimes overlooked. =/
Nekokitty
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Oct 8 2007, 05:03 PM) *
I highly recommend Rozen Maiden. It's a short series and it's very underappreciated. It really needs more love.

I second this.

Hmmm, I would recommened Higurashi no Naku Koro ni if you like mystery and gore.
Kyo Kara Maoh! if you like fantasy, comedy and BL.
Little Washu
Wandaba Style

It's really funny, and the art is nice too. Oh, and the catchy music of course.
JMK
Well, my favorite anime besides FMA are Naruto, Blood+, Death Note, and Inuyasha.
Citteh
I find Death Note is a great thought provoking anime that is great to check out. I would suggest it. biggrin.gif
TheRainbowConnection
Quick question. I was wondering if y'all think that Gundam SEED is worth watching.

I haven't watched much mecha anime (pretty much just Macross Plus and Eva), but I don't care. Just want your objective opinion of the series. Thanks.
ninjamonkey
QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Nov 25 2007, 11:17 PM) *
Quick question. I was wondering if y'all think that Gundam SEED is worth watching.

I haven't watched much mecha anime (pretty much just Macross Plus and Eva), but I don't care. Just want your objective opinion of the series. Thanks.

gundam seed might be worth watching, but in the end, you gotta look into the other gundam series. theres pretty much a gundam series for everyone. some lilke the classic with mobile suit gundam, some like the nice artistic look of gundam wing and others really get into the story line (0080 and ms 08th team). others are looking for a more reprehesible approach to to gundam, try gundam sd or g gundam.

but gundam seed would under (and between) the artistic and storyline basis. it follows and prequels mobile suit gundam and has the style of gundam wing. probably a fan-service anime, but one worth watching, in my opinion!
MaiShadowAlchemist
Well the best is FMA!! YAY!! lOVE IT
I also recomend:

-Ghost Hunt (So good, somethimes scary it is about ghost researchers, it is funny and somethimes sad I hope there is a second season)
-Ouran School Host Club (So funny!!! I love and it is so cute full of hot guys but there are some yaoi moments but those moments are not real, they are performed (actuados)
-Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles (Love it!! I still dont finish it)
-Pita Ten (Cute and funny)
-Rozen Maidenn (It is really cool and funny but I still dont finish it)
-Romeo x Juliet (I love it!! is of course about Romeo and Juliet whit changes It is so cute and awesome great fight scenes it is awesome but I still dont finish it)

I forgot the other but anyway if you want to find this animes and see them you can go to YouTube but some people says they are deleting some anime clips there I dont know really I dont think is true (If someone knows about this please?? I would like to know more)
Popogeejo
but some people says they are deleting some anime clips there I dont know really I dont think is true

Don't believe any of the "copy and paste this into XX videos" messages.
Little Washu
QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Nov 26 2007, 12:17 AM) *

Gundam Seed is my favorite mecha anime =D. It was my first Gundam series, and it's really good ^^.

I recommend a few of these:
Witch Hunter Robin
Lupin the Third
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Negima!
Ninja Nonsense (rated 18+)

They're all really good.
Envylovesapples
I'd say death note,bleach,and trigun.Oh and FMA is the best as well
Shirai
If you like Fullmetal Alchemist, check out Gungrave, it's really good. Especially the first episodes!
Alchemist of Rock
Long Anime= no. They get boring and you end up skipping through filler, starving for the end. Try 26-50 eps like most average anime. Bleach and Naruto are veeery mainstream, yet I skip lots of (manga) chapters. I don't really watch anime (or any TV) that much (I kept dying because of dubs), but here are some nice titles.
Shojo------------------------------
*Lucky Star
*Air
*Lovely Complex (Love<3Com)
*Angelic Layer
*Descendants of Darkness
*Dema....a! Powerpuff Girls Z
--------------------------------------Shonen
*Samurai Deeper Kyo
*Saiyuki
*My-HiME
* Elemental Gelade
*Cowboy Bebop
yoko0217
I recommend these

Gintama - really funny
Death Note - just pure genius
Lucy Star - very cute :3 (for girls)
Blitz
I had something typed for each one of these; then my browser decided to screw up, so I'll just be listing.

- Mononoke
- Code Geass
- Nodame Cantabile [live action, more so than the anime]
- Dennou Coil
- Darker than BLACK
- Claymore
- Lovely Complex
- Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
- Gundam SEED
- RahXephon
- Monster
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
- Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
KingB
I recommend for the Vampire category:
-Hellsing (obviously)
and
-Devil May Cry
Little Washu
I recommend:

Gokusen
Spice and Wolf
Saiyuki Reload
KingB
I recomend

GTO
GSG
and
HELLSING!!!
Vinyl Zen
Would anybody like to recommend an anime series for me to check out?

I'm pretty much an average joe who has never been into anime and the like. I've been following FMA on adult swim and downloaded the entire series (calm down, I'm buying the DVDs when they're all released in the US) - I absolutely loved it and found it quite refreshing to the norm. I also really liked Paranoia Agent, I could probably watch that series 20 times over, and still not completely understand what the writers were trying to portray.

Thanks
Ice Blizzard
Samurai Champloo.
Death note.

Them's too will keep you busily addicted for a while.
Shikaraka
If I could recommend a anime it would be Maburaho it's very funny and the best I 've seen!I have to agree with you Ice Blizzard Death Note is really good. Although I've read the manga more than i've actually watched the show. Samurai Champloo was really fuuny with the trio and all.
asunder
Some recommendations of my own:

Planetes
Mushishi
Monster
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Shikaraka
Haven't heard of those .... care to explain ....please.*puppy eyes*
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Shikaraka @ Feb 27 2008, 07:40 PM) *
Haven't heard of those .... care to explain ....please.*puppy eyes*

Try searching for them on Wikipedia.

Planetes: Space cleaning crew
Mushishi: Homeless guy messes about with ghost type tings.
Monster: A Doctor tries to catch a criminal,
TTGL: Giant robots and huge sunglasses.

All are well worth a look.
Little Washu
Welcome to the N.H.K.
Innocent-malice
My recommendations for right now would be full metal panic! and phantom memory karau was pretty good.

Does anybody know any really good phycological or horror animes? Im going to try to steal serial experiments lain from my older half brother when I see him but that will probably be months from now...
The Pecan Alchemist
Chobits, Elfen Lied, Black Cat, Case Closed, Death Note, Fruits Basket.....

Am I forgetting anything?
Little Washu
QUOTE(Innocent-malice @ Mar 13 2008, 11:33 PM) *
Does anybody know any really good phycological or horror animes? Im going to try to steal serial experiments lain from my older half brother when I see him but that will probably be months from now...

Elfen Lied, Higurashi no naku Koro ni(When they Cry), Ghost in the Shell, Spiral of Destiny, and Case Closed.

And I recommend Akira. That's like, the original anime in a sense.
sephiroth07
Very simple.
Go with the classics !! Here are some world-wide recomended animes
Every single one of theme has won some prize (like best animated for year ..... or best OST)

- "Saint Seiya" (a major hit here in Brazil)
- "Cowboy Beebop" (personal favorite and holds dozens of prizes.....)
- "Evangelion" (winner for 1998......very good)
- "Ergo Proxy" (another Manglobe anime, from 2006..... If you like Gothic and opera WATCH THIS)
- "Rurouni Kenshin" (another one with lots of prizes.....and Japan history)
- "Gundam Wing" (very nice political plot)
- "Dragonball Z and GT" (longest anime in history !!)
- "Akira" (duh....one of the first animes ever made....)
- "Appleseed" (very nicely drawed and colored ! they used a P-MAX graphics engine on it)
- "Ghost in the Shell" (OK this just ROCKS)

Thats about it !! I took the Trigun recommendation ..... VERY GOOD !!!
asunder
Some small clarifications:

QUOTE(Little Washu @ Apr 5 2008, 12:47 PM) *
And I recommend Akira. That's like, the original anime in a sense.

No, that would be astro boy.

QUOTE(sephiroth07 @ May 24 2008, 08:03 AM) *
- "Akira" (duh....one of the first animes ever made....)

Akira is a classic, but it's no where near to being the first anime ever made. It was made in 1988, while anime had started in the mid 60's. To give this a bit of perspective both big mech franchises (Gundam and Macross) predate Akira by several years (1979 and 1982 respectively). And on another akira related note, there's a live action version coming out next year.
Little Washu
QUOTE(asunder @ May 24 2008, 06:11 AM) *
And on another akira related note, there's a live action version coming out next year.

...an American version like Speed Racer, or Japanese like Death Note?

I recommend 'Pani Poni Dash'. If you liked 'Negima!?' and '(Zoku)Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei', then you'll probably like PPD.
hypnot.EYES
hey guys, im new to anime and i need some opinions! ^^
i just watched my first anime Cowboy Bebop and i LOVED it... so different and entertaining
now im starting FMA, and im already hooked on it :3 from your expert opinions rolleyes.gif tongue.gif i would like some anime suggestions that compare to Cowboy Bebop! thanks a ton!!!
mei_tenshi
Hi, hypnot.EYES! Welcome to the board (and anime)!

A few series that I recommend based on your love of Cowboy Bebop are Wolf's Rain, Samurai Champloo, and Trigun. Some other shows that may not be similar to Cowboy Bebop or FMA but are really good are (followed by my comments):

Visions of Escaflowne - great story. I consider it a classic in fantasy anime.
Mushishi - visually awesome, excellent soundtrack, and again--great story(-ies)
Planetes - thought-provoking, good character development
Death Note - unique story, half the anime fandom is in love with it
Ouran High School Host Club - hilarious! not for everyone, sure, but give it a chance~
Nodame Cantabile - hilarious! a must-see!
Seirei no Moribito (aka Moribito: Guardian of the Sacred Spirit) - great action sequences, great story
Blood+ - story, soundtrack, animation, characters--all excellent. Lots of action, but it has tons of character development too. I admit to being emotionally attached to some characters. >__>
Rurouni Kenshin - a samurai classic. It can be light-hearted at times, but it's also well-balanced with some heavy themes (love, betrayal, loyalty, etc.).
hypnot.EYES
Wow! Thanks alot mei_tenshi! After doing some research I found out that Samurai Champloo is actually made by the producer of Bebop! I guess ill give that a try. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely look into them all.
Phew, it looks like i've got quite a load on my hands tongue.gif
BTW, im on episode 12 of FMA, and it just keeps getting better... i love this show!
~later
Amethyst Sunset
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Jun 5 2008, 01:11 PM) *
Blood+ - story, soundtrack, animation, characters--all excellent. Lots of action, but it has tons of character development too. I admit to being emotionally attached to some characters. >__>

Saying it has "tons of character development" is an understatement. Which is a good thing, because it's just fun watching them all grow and change. At first, I thought it would just be bloody and full of fights, but it's not. Some episodes don't even have a drop of blood. It's 50 episodes long, so if you can sit through FMA, you can sit through this.

As for the music...*listens to Diva's song* I could listen to these vocals all day.

I'm emotionally attached too XD *clings to Solomon and Haji*
Cecaniah
I wasn't emotionally attached to any characters in Blood+ :\ Code Geass, entirely different story...I cried so much!

Code Geass, It's really good!!! A lot of people thought it was going to be a trainwreck but they were all wrong
Little Washu
Code Geass = Code Gay-A$s

Chi's Sweet Home. Too adorable not to watch~
crazyanimefan
Should I watch Wolf's Rain? I keep hearing from friends that it's really good, but I'd like some more opinions before I really try it.
Little Washu
^Wolf's Rain is very good.
Popogeejo
QUOTE (crazyanimefan @ Dec 12 2008, 05:22 AM) *
Should I watch Wolf's Rain? I keep hearing from friends that it's really good, but I'd like some more opinions before I really try it.

Watch it and find out. What do you have to lose?
Artixte
Code Gay-A$s is amazing. If you watch it from beginning to end, you'll see why it's amazing. Either that, or you'll shoot it off your watch list. But I highly recommend it, even if the patience does kill you, just try it at the very least.
electro girl
A few series which I really loved were:
Gun Grave (such a great ending)
Paranoia Agent (abit weird, but still pretty awesome)

Some films:
Howls moving Castle is amazing, in my opinion. Miyazaki is a legend.
I saw Paprika the other day, it's by the same people as Paranoia agent.
Ryoheii
Seirei no Moribito happy.gif

I see first ten chapters (of 26) and finally, I found an anime that I enjoy as much like FMA. Very good story, desings...
lunneth
i recomend shakugan no shana. if you want something like fantasy, romance kind of slap in the face stuff then this is for you tongue.gif
Dickens
*HELP PLEASE*

I need something new and good to watch smile.gif

I love FMA and deathnote, i've tried card captor sakura, and although I like it, its not really 'my thing'- I like the darker plots. I've read Bleach manga, but don't know if the anime will live up to the manga (deathnote anime i didnt really like, I much prefer the mangas).

So in short- can anyone suggest a slightly dark anime please?

x
Popogeejo
Berserk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.