Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anime Recommendations
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Koori
Hmm … how come I know I am getting the same look I got from the rental store guy …

Anyway … looking for suggestions for Anime available in US that I can rent … buy … etc.

My first experience with Anime was Ronin Warriors / “Samurai Troopers” … from there I’ve enjoyed Sailor Moon, The different Dragon Ball series, Yu-Gi-Oh (*blush* I know … I know ... my husband thinks the same thing) … and recently started watching Inuyasha and Full Metal Alchemist. FMA is probably as dark as I’d like to go.

Just looking for suggestions of titles … and thought this would be the perfect place to ask.

Thank you in advance! ~ K

THIS IS NOW A GENERAL ANIME RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD. POST ALL YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS HERE. ALL NEW TOPICS REQUESTING THEM OR GIVING THEM WILL BE CLOSED OR MERGED WITH THIS ONE.
alchemist x
Fullmetalpanic
DNAngel
I don't know about this one but MADLAX
Toby-Chan
Ew. Don't watch Full Metal Panic. Save yourself the sanity.
Then again, Inuyasha is pretty bad too... as is DBZ.

But I'm just spewing my opinion

I would highly reccomend any films by studio Ghibli, in particular;

Princess Mononoke (Violent. No more than FMA, though)
My Neighbor Totoro (Only if you want something so cute your face will melt. tongue.gif)
Spirited Away (Not my favorite, but it is definitely one of the biggest films of the past several years)
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Grave of the Fireflies (I reccomend 1 box of kleenex)

Aside from that;

Haibane Renmei A tame series and truly gorgeous work of art.
Fruits Basket- A relatively simple and standard Shoujo anime about how one person can effect others' lives. Lighthearted, and emotion-diving. My personal favorite.
Azumanga Daioh- Cute, funny, completely pointless in every way. Kind of like seinfeld; it's a show about nothing, and it's frigging hilarious.
Noir- An action series, really good for little else than to watch the wonderful fight scenes. Violent, but bloodless.
Cowboy Bebop- Depending on the episode it can be anywhere from G to 13/R-ish material, but it's a generally fun series. Salty language, some bloodiness, etc. Watch it and worship Ed.

Satoshi Kon's film- "Millenium Actress"

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I reccomend no more trollage. >>
Luckyalchemy27
Trigun! Trigun! *cheers*
Kinbari-chan
Um...depends on what you like I suppose. I see Sailor Moon was on your list. If you truly liked that I would reccommend other shoujo anime such as Card captor Sakura. Also Full Moon wo Sagashite. FMwS is not licensed in the USA but you can find downloads of it online and plus there are import DVD's you can buy online which is what I did. I reccoomend that you have kleenex by you when you watch the last quarter of the show though--->gets pretty emotional and sad. Oh and Love Hina is good too. Each episode seems pretty pointless but it's funny in its own way.
Carnal Malefactor
Elfen Lied >:3

[just kidding]
AlphonseRules
Trigun is a really good series, but I have only seen some of it so I don't know how violent it really gets. I never saw anything as bloody as FMA can be though. I think it is on Adult Swim on Sundays at like 1:30 if you want to check it out though.
Koori
Hmm I can buy the box set of "Trigun" on Amazon for $150 ... or on e-bay for $2.00 *chuckles* Would $2.00 even pay for the pirated DVDs they are printed on? Will look into it, thanks for the suggestions ~ K
telepika
Hmmm... Besides the ones already mentioned (Toby has some good suggestions, especially Haibane Renmei, Spirited Away, Noir, and Fruits Basket.):

Get Backers
Read or Die aka R.O.D., the anime and OAV
Samurai Champloo (This may be a little violent).
Chrno Crusade (Don't watch this if you're very religious)
Gankutsuou (Is it available yet? Probably not. Check anyway.)
Last Exile
Saiyuki
Scrapped Princess
Spiral

For descriptions and ratings for anime, go to animenewsnetwork.com
~FMAgurl~
Gash Bell (dubbed name Zatch Bell) is a completely bloodless anime as far as I've seen. It's a kids anime, so how much violence could there possibly be? They show it on Cartoon Network at 9:30 on Saturdays. You might not like the dubbed voices though. One Piece is another harmless anime...as far as I know. It airs right after Zatch Bell. These are just suggestions happy.gif Hope you find what you're looking for!

BTW: AS stopped airing Trigun. Ghost in a Shell took its place sadly sad.gif
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ May 28 2005, 09:12 AM)
Gash Bell (dubbed name Zatch Bell) is a completely bloodless anime as far as I've seen. It's a kids anime, so how much violence could there possibly be?
[snapback]181173[/snapback]

Ummm... FMA is a kids' anime as well. As is Naruto, Rurouni Kenshin, InuYasha, YuYu Hakusho, etc. Not very un-bloody.

Heck, there are very few anime I can think of that aren't targeted towards kids.
Ironically many of the adult aimed series I've seen have less gratuitous violence/blood/nudity, etc than the kids' series. Go figure.

QUOTE(telepika @ May 28 2005, 02:13 AM)
Read or Die aka R.O.D., the anime and OAV
Samurai Champloo (This may be a little violent).
Saiyuki

[snapback]181029[/snapback]

These ones are rather bloody... but then again, what do I know? Boogiepop Phantom scares me. (::Wimp:smile.gif The ROD Anime's not bad at all barring a few mildly bloody episodes that merited a PG rating.

QUOTE(Koori @ May 28 2005, 01:12 AM)
Hmm I can buy the box set of "Trigun" on Amazon for $150 ... or on e-bay for $2.00  *chuckles*  Would $2.00 even pay for the pirated DVDs they are printed on?  Will look into it, thanks for the suggestions ~ K
[snapback]181015[/snapback]

Um, check the shipping price. That's usually where they stick ya.
Zarpia
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,May 27 2005, 10:05 PM)

[just kidding]
[snapback]180956[/snapback]

man, i can't take those images off my head
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(zarpia @ May 28 2005, 06:43 PM)

[just kidding]

[snapback]181224[/snapback]

It's a great anime, but definitely not for the faint of heart.
Zarpia
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,May 28 2005, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE(zarpia @ May 28 2005, 06:43 PM)

[just kidding]

[snapback]181224[/snapback]

It's a great anime, but definitely not for the faint of heart.
[snapback]181226[/snapback]

ah, and i only saw images of it, but still maybe i will see it
Quistis88
Ahh, Elfen Lied . . . the opening sequence to Elfen Lied is one of the things I liked most about it (it hooked me into the anime before the anime itself even did the job). The imitation of Klimt is nicely done, a good concept. The other parts, however, I'm not so fond of since I'm female, but I'm sure Bacon appreciates it. tongue.gif But it's incorporated into beautiful artwork all the same.

But yes, with your search criteria the way it is, DO NOT look up anything on Elfen Lied, unless you're really really curious.

There aren't many very good anime productions that aren't violent or bloody or provocative. Aside from everything already mentioned, "Wind: A Breath of Heart" isn't all that violent at all, but it's not very good. Episodes are about 10 minutes long.
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ May 28 2005, 12:12 PM)
BTW: AS stopped airing Trigun. Ghost in a Shell took its place sadly sad.gif
[snapback]181173[/snapback]

Sort of. GITS took the place of Trigun on Mon-Wed nights but AS is now airing Trigun and 1:30 on Sundays. biggrin.gif
Luckyalchemy27
Trigun is freakin' awesome! My favorite anime after FMA. It can get kinda violent, but it's not violence-at-every-turn. I love Vash's dub voice..it's so cute!
AlphonseRules
I made a mistake. The AS website says that Trigun is on Sundays at 1:30am which I thought meant Sunday night but it is actually on on Saturday nights(Sunday mornings). Sorry for any confusion.
telepika
@Toby: Samurai Champloo may be considered "overly violent," but I don't think ROD or Saiyuki would be. At least not more so than Inuyasha or FMA... But than again, I didn't think Hellsing was violent. tongue.gif Hey, I may have become accustomed to violent scenes, but at least I know good anime, or at least I think I do...

Btw, do NOT check out Hellsing or Elfen Lied unless you're very curious. Both aren't for the faint of heart, if you know what I mean. Also, I wasn't really impressed with Elfen Lied. True, it had good animation and I love the opening and ending sequences, but I didn't see much of a plot. All I saw was basically a very violent opening then some people find the girl at the beach while she has conveniently become tame for some reason. But I only saw the first episode so...

OH!!! How could I forget!!! Check out Rurouni Kenshin!!! laugh.gif
Carnal Malefactor
Well that's just ignorant, ain't it? Elfen Lied has a great story, and it moves very fast. That makes it much easier to watch marathon-style than most other anime.
[Shadow Alchemist]
(There's such a thing as non-violent/sexual animes? laugh.gif )

On a lighter note, I think you'd like Fullmetal Panic. I'm just starting out on that series, and it's got alot of funnies to it. I love it. happy.gif Azumanga Daioh isn't perverted/violent either, it's a pretty cute/simple series about young girls in high school just doing every day stuff with some really funny scenery added. Chobits...eh, a bit more perverted, but on the humor side. If you think FMA is dark, try Wolf's Rain...that series was...wow. huh.gif (In a good way.) If you really want a good laugh, but Warning: rated XXX (kinda...), then may I suggest Green Green? I've fallen off my chair one too many times watching that. Then there's Great Teacher Onizuka. (A former gang member, this dude becomes the most loved and yet hated hero/teacher on campus)~ a very good series.

</RandomRamblings>

...sleep.gif
Luceit Elric
I've finished watching FMA and I would like to get another anime. Problem is that I'm really broke (cause I bought the FMA artbook). Can any of you suggest animes that you really enjoyed? Here's the criteria:

1) Must not have too many episodes (e.g Naruto)
2) Must not be corny/ cliched/ lovey-dovey
3) Preferably funny
4) Should be intresting

Animes that I have already seen before: FMA, Curious Play (grr), Rurouni Kenshin, Groove Adventure Rave.

Actually I wanted to get Hikaru no Go but my jaw fellwhen I saw the price. No Go, Hikaru!
mongooseboi
full metal panic, and full metal panic fumoffu. great stuff. second raid is coming out soon too/
xrninja
bleach! it's an awesome series, and hasn't finished yet (it's at 36 episodes right now). yakitate!! japan's pretty funny too. are you downloading or buying anime?
edsgirl
Yeah bleach is a good one! Lets see umm, Vandread, Kiddy Grade, Saiyuki and One Piece are all funny, but not too cutesy and lots of action.
Jen_Elric
Fruits Basket is good! It's only 26 episodes, it's not very lovey-dovey at all, it's funny, interesting, and has angst! Problem is that after you see the whole series, you may feel like reading the manga (which i feel is better), and it's currently 17 vols. in Japan and still running!
FMA JPD
Fullmetal panic, fumuffu,bleach all good choises
Luceit Elric
Ah, I just got my unlimited broadband today! We thought of getting Full Metal Panic! but we were concerned that it might get too expensive (cause my sis is kind of a scrooge). Maybe I will get Bleach. I read the first few parts and I like it. I appreciate the help, arigato gozaimas!
~FMAgurl~
Trigun has it's funny moments. You might like Wolf's Rain if you're into fantasy. I'm pretty sure they're both around 30 episodes.
AlphonseRules
Wolf's Rain and Trigun are both great animes. Since you're looking for something funny I would recommend Trigun between the two. Wolf's Rain is very serious and is hardly ever funny.
foolmetal alchemist
Ichigo 100% is good and very funny. It only has like 12 episodes ou though.
Slashrose1010
Chrno Crusade if you can find it and Getbackers... also if you can find it laugh.gif They are both good from what I have seen ^^ I haven't watched a single ep yet, but someone told me Chobits was good. I am also curios to see the unedited versions of YGO and YuYu :3
Luckyalchemy27
TRIGUN! TRIGUN!! TRIGUN!!!
foolmetal alchemist
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Jun 16 2005, 08:22 PM)
Chrno Crusade if you can find it and Getbackers... also if you can find it laugh.gif They are both good from what I have seen ^^ I haven't watched a single ep yet, but someone told me Chobits was good. I am also curios to see the unedited versions of YGO and YuYu :3
[snapback]193669[/snapback]

The fansubs of Yu Yu Hakusho are sooooo much better than the dubs. I still buy the American DVDs anyway.... huh.gif
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Jun 16 2005, 10:22 PM)
[snapback]193669[/snapback]

That someone was me. I just love to get Slash into things XD

Yes, Chobits is good. I also recommend bleach and perhaps Samurai7? It's mecha but it's not heavy mecha. o_0
animefreak_zzz
hmmm...chobits is a good anime...chrno crusade too.
If u want somethin funnie and lame...try konjiki no gashbell smile.gif
hmmm...if you can find, try spiral~suiri no kizuna~... huh.gif
This one is about mysteries, but not too heavy on the suspense...
and hey, you cannot miss hikaru no go!!...Save up for it...it id definately nice... biggrin.gif
Saiyuki? U juz gotta try gensomaden saiyuki!!
then there is saiyuki reloaded and gunlock...haha maybe a little long... laugh.gif
hmmm...hunterxhunter is interesting and enjoyable too...
Getbackers is kewl too...ok...i think i am goin too far...haha
I'll stop now... cool.gif
fullmetalalchemistchick
inuyasha is my fav.
animejunkie429800
i think chobits is too pervy in the manga.. well, i have some.
Tsuabasa
Chrno Crusade
Inuyasha
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Cardcaptor Sakura
Samurai X aka Rurouni Kenshin
Rumiko Takahashi Anthology- i laugh my ass off! laugh.gif
Philosopher's Stone
1) Must not have too many episodes (e.g Naruto)
2) Must not be corny/ cliched/ lovey-dovey
3) Preferably funny
4) Should be intresting

Monster
It's a good thriller.
1) 51 episodes but with excellent pacing, I never felt that the show was too rushed or too slow. And every episode manages to hold your interest. It also actually has an ending! *gasp*
2) Nope. Nothing cheesy at all. This anime isn't as conventional as most.
3) No, Monster is rather solemn, I'm afraid. You'll have to get humor elsewhere. Let me suggest a good non-anime solution: Futurama.
4) Again, each episode holds your interest. Anytime one question is answered, more mysteries arise to take its place. Cliffhangers are sometimes used, but they're never overused and they are never blatant. The manga version is so well-written that the anime is virtually unchanged from the manga, and it never suffers for want of editing.
Ronaldo Rodregez
Great Teacher Onizuka. Though a lot of the time it's dramatic.
Zidan_chan
Samurai Champloo is a highly entertaining series. However, it might be fairly difficult to find in America or Europe. The artwork is simply beautiful though. I have only seend four episodes of the series, so I can not wait to see how the story unfolds. The series is reccomended for mature audiences. (This series is from the director of Cowboy Bebop and Excel Saga)
Luckyalchemy27
TRIGUUUUNNNN!!!!!!!
~FMAgurl~
QUOTE(fullmetalalchemistchick @ Jun 19 2005, 03:20 PM)
inuyasha is my fav.
[snapback]195261[/snapback]

It is funny, but extremely long.
QUOTE(Luckyalchemy27 @ Jun 21 2005, 09:09 PM)
TRIGUUUUNNNN!!!!!!!
[snapback]196851[/snapback]

I agree happy.gif.
Luckyalchemy27
*passes out from lack of breath because she keeps screaming "TRIGUN!"*
animejunkie429800
hey, Lucky-chan, you can stop now....

i have others:

Zatch Bell

BTW, Inuyasha is extremely long expanding to about 160 ep. but not worth watching. you'll be dissapointed by the last ep. (i know, i've seen it. i have the whole series.)
CodeAlchemist
Trigun & FLCL are my recommendations.
animejunkie429800
QUOTE(CodeAlchemist @ Jun 21 2005, 09:57 PM)
[snapback]197040[/snapback]

i think FLCL is really wierd. its aka Fooly Cooly look here.
Ronaldo Rodregez
QUOTE(animejunkie429800 @ Jun 22 2005, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE(CodeAlchemist @ Jun 21 2005, 09:57 PM)
[snapback]197040[/snapback]

i think FLCL is really wierd. its aka Fooly Cooly look here.

"Fooly Cooly" is the retarded English name. Just like "Case Closed" for Detective Conan.

FLCL is really the only title. You might hear "Fu Ri Ku Ri" but that's just the Japanese way to say the english letters. F=Fu Ri=L (They have no L sounds, so R takes it's place.) Ku=C (Also no C's except for in Chi, K's the next best thing) and Ri=L again. If you ever read the manga or seen the show, FLCL is an abbreviation for the condition Naota has with his brain.
Kakashi
Tenjou Tenge! biggrin.gif
CodeAlchemist
FLCL also has a cool soundtrack (mostly courtesy of 'The Pillows'). I love J-Rock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.