Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project Fma
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks > Fanfics
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Aribelle
biggrin.gif yay! Glad to have you. Like DistantBlue said, she doesn't really have any work for artists right now, but we definitely need lots of writers.
Broken Chouchou
100 replies!

Just felt like stating that biggrin.gif
Rainshine
Hey, I posted a while ago that I was willing to help, but I never really posted anything after that.
So... I'm here to help! biggrin.gif
I noticed in the first post that it says that we need Editors and Writers, and I'm good with doing any of those... which ever one of those you need more I guess. rolleyes.gif smile.gif

kkg22104
Hey everyone! An update on the editors: Rain-Alchemist and Neopuff have joined the team as well! Thank you so much guys! happy.gif

Anyone else out there who wants to join the team, this is your last chance! Please send me a PM as soon as possible so I can add you! smile.gif I need everyone to confirm that they still want to help edit; this will make it easier for me to make a complete list and start organizing you guys. Thanks for all your help! biggrin.gif

Also, if you want to edit but also want to write your own chapters, that's fine as well ^^
kkg22104
I'm sorry for double posting, but I have to bump this thread up to make sure everyone sees this important announcement. happy.gif

Attention all writers and editors! From here on out, this is the procedure we will be following! Aribelle and I have discussed this beforehand and decided this is the best method to organize everyone.

Basically, I have assigned each editor a few writers to work with. I divided people up as fairly as possible with 8 editors and 13 writers (I included Rain and Rosi, even though they haven't claimed any chapters yet; and as for myself, I don't feel like writing whole chapters yet XD). So, here is the list:

kkg22104: Elle-chan, Forsaken Love
Rain-Alchemist: Broken Chouchou, Sal_san
Backfired: Dearheart, YourViolentStalker
Broken Chouchou: Aribelle
Neopuff: Causmicfire, Rosicrucian
YourViolentStalker: Neopuff, Rain-Alchemist
Causmicfire: DistantBlue
DistantBlue: hand-made-city

Writers, after you finish your chapter and are satisfied with your work, please upload it to Google docs and send the link to your editor via PM. We are using Google docs because it is convenient and allows us to open the document and edit it right there. Editors, I'm sure you guys are experts at editing, so I don't need to spell out any guidelines. But, don't hesitate to talk with your writer and discuss anything you have questions about. Cooperation is the key! thumbsup.gif

Any questions, concerns? Objections or suggestions? I didn't miss anyone did I? XD As always, feel free to contact me anytime! biggrin.gif This project will turn out great!
Aribelle
Great! Thank you so much for doing this. I shall add it to the first post and to the other thread as well. \o/
hand-made-city
Awesome! That's definitely a good idea. Much more organized that way. Hahah DistantBlue practically owns me now. XD
kkg22104
Yay, I'm glad you guys approve of it! biggrin.gif

@hand-made-city: Lol, I figured you guys were friends and it wouldn't hurt to pair you up wink.gif

Also, another note: I think we have enough editors as of right now, but if more people still want to join, I think I'll add up to two more people so we can have a nice round number of 10 tongue.gif I think most people can handle having two writers to work with smile.gif
hand-made-city
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Aug 23 2009, 08:12 PM) *
Yay, I'm glad you guys approve of it! biggrin.gif

@hand-made-city: Lol, I figured you guys were friends and it wouldn't hurt to pair you up wink.gif

Haha yeah, she and I talk a lot already cuz of the art thing, so this won't be a problem either. <3
Broken Chouchou
Everybody, I kind of have a request to make.

A few pages back, when discussing the illustrative art for the project, I mentioned that I had made a large sketch that might work as a promo-poster sorta thing.
I think that I'll be able to get my hands on some good pens today, and I should have finished the drawing before the end of this week, if I don't get too many homework assignments from school that is.

So, what I'm wondering is this: Does anyone here have access to a decent image editing program, and knows how to work it?

If so: Would you like to voulounteer in adding color to my drawing, and sprucing it up, possibly adjusting it to make it look better, once I've scanned it? If anyone would feel interested in doing this, I'd be really grateful!

(You can either post your reply in this thread, or send it via PM.)

I understand if people involved in this are busy with trying to make time both for school-work and contributing to the project, and that something like this might not be on the top of our priority-list.

Regardless how anyone should decide about this, I will still finish my drawing and upload it, and hear with Aribelle whether she thinks if it could be of use to the project.

Just thought it would be nice to have it coloured, and for it to be a little professional-looking ^^
Radadinator
Oh man, is it too late to join this as a writer? I think it's too late to be an artist now, but I just wanted to make sure for both.

Well, if it isn't too late, here are my answers:

1) Would you like to participate now or in the future?
Probably now, although I might be a little busy with school work now and then.
2) How would you like to contribute? Currently we're looking for writers.
Well, I'd like to contribute by...writing. I know, very descriptive, huh? More seriously, I'd like to write a chapter or two...or however many more, really. For art, even if there aren't any more spaces left, I'd just submit fan art for this. Not anything important or necessary at all, but mostly just me being an FMA dork who likes to draw, haha...never mind. It's really unnecessary. Forget I asked.
3) Do you have any suggestions/concerns about the way things are organized? Are there things you'd like me or anyone else to clarify?
Do I need to send a writing example?

Thanks for reading! (:
Aribelle
We most definitely still need writers smile.gif

And no, you don't need to send in a writing sample. However, you will be assigned an editor (everyone is) and your editor will check over your work for spelling/characterization/accuracy and such. When you're ready to pick a chapter you can come over to the claim and reserve thread and request one ^^

Yay for new people!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

@Broken Chouchou - I'm average at best with digital coloring, so I'm sure people on this thread with more artistic abilities could do a much better job ^^; I can be a last resort though laugh.gif
DistantBlue
I got lucky and get to use the computer! XD

QUOTE (hand-made-city @ Aug 23 2009, 04:20 PM) *
Awesome! That's definitely a good idea. Much more organized that way. Hahah DistantBlue practically owns me now. XD

I read that before reading the previous page, and I was like, "What?! Am I too bossy?!?11? D:"

XD

Yaaaaaay~! biggrin.gif *BTW, happy belated birthday. I know I already told you before your birthday, but... XD

And....*checks*...Causmicfire is my editor! Yaay!

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Aug 24 2009, 01:33 AM) *
So, what I'm wondering is this: Does anyone here have access to a decent image editing program, and knows how to work it?

If so: Would you like to voulounteer in adding color to my drawing, and sprucing it up, possibly adjusting it to make it look better, once I've scanned it? If anyone would feel interested in doing this, I'd be really grateful!

I wouldn't mind doing it at all! I have GIMP 2, which is basically a free image editing program that's a little less fancy than Photoshop but has a bunch of the same features. I shouldn't be too overloaded....I just need to finish my V1 cover, write the last third of the chapter I am doing, and do editing for hand-made-city. It may take 1-2 or maybe even 3 weeks (although unlikely) for me to be done, since except for today I am usually not allowed to use the computer on weekdays. But I will work quickly with the time I have. smile.gif

Just PM me for my email. biggrin.gif
Thalogens
If the offer still stands...

I'd like to participate now, before school becomes too hectic :3

Preferably writing - I haven't written anything in a long time...

3) Do you have any suggestions/concerns about the way things are organized? Are there things you'd like me or anyone else to clarify?
Ehh, Not necessarily - except if I am accepted, how would I send the finished chp in to you? Sorry if you've allready answered this somewhere, where I've overlooked D': Also, if I write a chp. would I have to do the entire chapter with every page, or is it okay to just follow one or a few character's journey?
Aribelle
\o/ the offer definitely still stands biggrin.gif

The finished chapter should be sent to your designated editor via a link with Google Docs. And yes, it would be better if you did the entire chapter, although you find someone you'd like to collaborate with that's fine smile.gif
kkg22104
Welcome new writers! I'm so glad you've decided to join biggrin.gif I'm going to assign you guys an editor now, and you'll PM your editor the link to your chapter once you've finished with it. Radadinator, you'll be working with Broken Chouchou, and DoxyWings with Causmicfire smile.gif

And another note to the editors: Once you're done editing a chapter, please PM the link to me and I will give it a final look for any last mistakes or changes, then we will publish it happy.gif
DistantBlue
Hello! I haven't replied here in a while...this is mostly just an update though...and question...

Update: I am about 2/3 through my chapter (4), but I have temporarily been halted since our house is being remodeled and someone moved my FMA V.1 and some other items I needed for other things and now can't find them... mad.gif

Also, I just have the coloring for the V.1 cover to do...but I'm having problems with Ed's automail arm, so I've been scrounging around for a good reference...

Question: Is there a deadline for the chapter or cover? I have a feeling I'm the only writer for V.1 that hasn't submitted their chapter to be edited....dammit, I wish I had more time and no restrictions on when I can use technology. DX
Dearheart
QUOTE (DistantBlue @ Sep 6 2009, 06:18 PM) *
Hello! I haven't replied here in a while...this is mostly just an update though...and question...

Update: I am about 2/3 through my chapter (4), but I have temporarily been halted since our house is being remodeled and someone moved my FMA V.1 and some other items I needed for other things and now can't find them... mad.gif

Also, I just have the coloring for the V.1 cover to do...but I'm having problems with Ed's automail arm, so I've been scrounging around for a good reference...

Question: Is there a deadline for the chapter or cover? I have a feeling I'm the only writer for V.1 that hasn't submitted their chapter to be edited....dammit, I wish I had more time and no restrictions on when I can use technology. DX

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I'm guilty too. XD No, I'm not dead!! Dad's been throwing a bunch of essays at me (I'm homeschooled and wrapping up my senior year), and on top of that I've been applying for a job at a preschool, so my chapter's not done yet either. I'm chipping away at it, though. I'm trying to finish it as quick as I can. smile.gif

Oh yeah, I have a question too. When and where will we be posting the finished chapters? If anyone's looking for a good place to post BESIDES fanfiction.net and the forums here, Storywrite is a good website. We could probably post on deviantART, too.

Meh, don't mind me. Just brainstorming.
Aribelle
Nah, there's no deadline. Everyone has differing levels of business, so I don't want to add any stress lol. Whenever you can do it is fine smile.gif

I have a couple questions about chapter three though...I can't find the Viz translations at the library near my house, and I recently moved and have no idea where a good library is T_T (and I'm too cheap to actually buy it XD) soo if anyone can answer these I will bake you e-cookies X3

1) The little kid - is it Kayal or Kyle? Or something else D:
2) His father's name: is it Hulling?
3) Does he own an inn, store, or restaurant?
4) The name of the town is Youswell coal mines?

And @Dearheart: when all the chapters/artwork for volume one is done I'll introduce a thread for it and either I can post everything and just credit everyone, or all the individual creators can just post their stuff in that thread...whichever you'd rather. But kkg22104 and DistantBlue can just let us know when all the vol. 1 stuff is done and I'll give the word :3

Anddd edit again: an announcement, I has it! Volume 4 is currently up for claiming. Due to reservations, there is only one chapter up for grabs lol. So Broken Chouchou, Dearheart, and DistantBlue...make sure you let me know within a few days if you still want your chapters!!
DistantBlue
MY STRESS. IT HAZ GONE.

...JK. I didn't think there was a deadline, but I was a little nervous....XD

1) I believe it is Kayal
2) I think it was Hulling, but I misplaced my FMA V.1, so I'm not sure.
3) I know for sure he owns an inn
4) The town is called Youswell, but I think people refer to it as Youswell coal mines

I think you should be the one to post everything and credit everyone so it's simple...and BTW I think I will be done in 1-2 weeks. Maybe with the cover as short as tomorrow. But I will definitely let you know here or in a PM.

Oh, and I'd like Chapter 16! Thank you! biggrin.gif
Aribelle
Thanks! Cookies for you \o/

Vol. 5 is now available as well.
Causmicfire
Got my volumes handy, so here goes:

1: Viz has his name written Khayal
2: Halling <Again, Viz spelling
3: Definitely owns an Inn, seems to be a local pub/diner of sorts in the common room.
4: Town is definitely Youswell (on the map), but as Distantblue said, it's commonly referred to as Youswell Coal Mines
QueenTiria
I would love to become a writer! If chapter 19 (I'll Do it for You Guys!) is not taken, can I please write that chapter?
Aribelle
@QueenTiria - sure! Welcome :3 chapter 19 has already been taken, but you can go over to this thread to see what's open and request any other chapters you'd like (or you can PM me with requests) ^^

And thanks much Causmicfire!!
DistantBlue
First cover, I haz finished.

http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs50/f/2009/256...distantblue.jpg
Causmicfire
Nice cover art DistantBlue! I really love the way you did the background!
Aribelle
QUOTE (DistantBlue @ Sep 13 2009, 06:19 PM) *

ohmy.gif Yaay! It looks awesome! \o/
Causmicfire
Made some buttons!

CODE
[url="http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13022"]
[img]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AJWOODY86/ProjectFMA.png[/img][/url]

CODE
[img]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AJWOODY86/Projectfma3.png[/img][/url]

CODE
[img]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AJWOODY86/projectfma2.png[/img][/url]
Dearheart
*stifles a fangirl squee over the second button* heart.gif wub.gif Those look amazing, Causmic! biggrin.gif Olivia awesomeness, Bones-certified EdWin (YESS!!!) and princy goodness FTW! biggrin.gif
Rainshine
Ooh, nice buttons!! biggrin.gif

I also like the second button. smile.gif

That picture is the only reason i like edxwin.... dry.gif
DistantBlue
Got V.20 yesterday.

Rebecca Catalina is known as Rebecca Katarina.

And get this.

Greedling is known as Grin.

(I was like, WTF, GRIN?)
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (DistantBlue @ Sep 18 2009, 10:15 AM) *
And get this.

(I was like, WTF, GRIN?)

Actually... that's pretty damn-a$$ cool!! ohmy.gif
Causmicfire
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Sep 18 2009, 11:28 AM) *
QUOTE (DistantBlue @ Sep 18 2009, 10:15 AM) *
And get this.

(I was like, WTF, GRIN?)

Actually... that's pretty damn-a$$ cool!! ohmy.gif

because Greed has the best grin ever! XD
DistantBlue
It wasn't a 'WTF' like 'WTF kind of name is Grin?' it was more 'WTF how did they get Grin from Greedling?!"

At first I hated it, but when I read through the volume a few more times I've come to like it a bit. Like Greedling better, though. tongue.gif
Illuminating-Darkness
Um, I new here but I'd really luv to become a writer, do I just claim a chapter and start writing or something?
Causmicfire
@Illuminating-Darkness - Yep, that's pretty much how it works, you can go claim chapters here, we've currently got volume six up for grabs, and if you'd like to reserve a later chapter that can be done once every 7 days. The rest of the rules and a link to the master list of names are in the first post. kkg22104 will be along sometime soon to assign you an editor.

Welcome to the forum, and glad to have you on the team!

Glad you guys like the buttons, thank you.

Also, concerning Grin, though I do prefer Greeling, it's better than Grelin, which translators have used.
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (DistantBlue @ Sep 19 2009, 08:05 AM) *
It wasn't a 'WTF' like 'WTF kind of name is Grin?' it was more 'WTF how did they get Grin from Greedling?!"

Greed + Lin* + some creative letter removals = Grin

Which is badass, Imo biggrin.gif

*Viz's translation of Ling
Illuminating-Darkness
Ok thanks =)
Ok.. a few questions
-How long do the chapters have to be? Is there a specific length?
- If I reserve a chapter, can I start writing it or do I have to wait? I read the dibs for 3 days thing but if I can claim it within 3 days, then... yeah....
Causmicfire
You can start writing as soon as you've claimed or reserved a chapter. I don't think there's a specified length, I think my chapters have been between 4,000 & 5,000 words so far.
Illuminating-Darkness
Ok, thanks =)
I've thought up more questions (let me know if I get annoying XD)
-Do I write it in first person form or third person form or is it just up to me?
-Do I have to include the conversations from the manga?
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (Causmicfire @ Sep 21 2009, 12:44 AM) *
I don't think there's a specified length, I think my chapters have been between 4,000 & 5,000 words so far.

Thank goodness for that. I was a little worried here that my chapter may be a little short. But I guess there're no worries; I've written 7,498 words so far on my first chapter, and I'm not quite done yet ^^

I supoose it kinda depends on if it's an action-based chapter you've taken on or if it's more dialogue and conversation. Also, writing-style may play a minor role.
Causmicfire
QUOTE (Illuminating-Darkness @ Sep 21 2009, 01:04 AM) *
Ok, thanks =)
I've thought up more questions (let me know if I get annoying XD)
-Do I write it in first person form or third person form or is it just up to me?
-Do I have to include the conversations from the manga?

We're going with third person form, both limited and omniscient are fine.

The novelization should follow manga canon as closely as possibly. I've been pretty much including the dialog word for word, only tweaking it to make it flow more smoothly/not sound awkward.

@Broken Chou Chou - Yeah, just noticed my chapter that isn't action is actually about 9,000, but the first two I wrote, (7 & 8) are the Scar v. Brothers fight, are quite a bit of action.
Aribelle
Ahhh I've been away so long! School is...school T_T

Illuminating-Darkness
, welcome to the project! Glad to have you with us!

Causmicfire, the buttons are awesome! biggrin.gif

My chapter was around 4000-5000 words as well...I felt like it was long, but I'm glad that seems to be the average so far.

I'll update the other thread sometime today, but I'm currently on campus and about to run out of battery haha.
S.F. Thunder
Hi! I'm Sparx and I was introduced to this project via stalking DeviantArt, and I've become very interested. I'm not quite familiar with the big idea yet, but I'm pretty sure it's as simple as it sounds in being a written version of the manga, right?

In that case, I would love to help out, if you guys will have me. I write as well as illustrate, so if you need both an author and illustrator I'd be more than willing to play as both, but if you only need one or the other that's fine as well. As for those questions included in the first post...

Whenever I'm needed is fine by me.

However you like. I draw in a style that is similar to Hiromu Arakawa's in a way, so drawing the FMA characters comes naturally to me. I also enjoy writing very much, and have experience with the characters through writing side-project fanfiction that I'm fond of. If anyone's interested, I'm available as Zolf615 on DA and Sparx615 on Fanfiction.
I'm best with the darker sides of fiction, so yeah.

I don't think so. If I think of something I'll be sure to ask.
Broken Chouchou
S.F Thunder, welcome to the board! smile.gif

You seem like you'd be a great addition to the "crew", and I'm sure Ariblle will be happy to have you join this awesome project. I think we've got most of the art covered as it is, but knowing that we have someone interested in helping out if needed is great. Right now though, we're putting emphasis on writing. (Although I'm not really keeping myself that up to date, so if you really want to know where things currently are you should hear with either project-leader Aribelle, or DistantBlue, who is head of the art-team)

If you want to know what chapters are available for claiming and reserving, and to learn about the system we use for it, I recommend you go check out the claim and reserve thread. As Causmicfire staded a few posts earlier, volume 6 is currently the one up for grabs.
S.F. Thunder
Awesomesauce, and thanks for the welcome! Aw, jeez, it looks like all of my favourite Kimbley-filled chapters from volume 15 are already reserved, haha, oh well~ I'll have to look through volume six again to see if I'd be able to write anything of it up. <3
Aribelle
Welcome, S.F. Thunder! Like Broken Chouchou said, DistantBlue currently doesn't need artists, but we definitely need writers. Glad to have you with us smile.gif
S.F. Thunder
Okay, I'm fine with just writing, of course.

But, eh... I came up with a few questions today. First is simple: Who will my editor be? ^^; I want to know who to send my finished chapter to, after all.
Second, I was looking at the list of 'official' spellings for the names in the books... I may have overlooked this, but what are we calling Kimbley? Crimson or Red Lotus? I personally think Red Lotus is a horrible unsuitable name and Crimson makes much more sense, but whatever is easier works, I suppose. Viz translations drive me crazy. @-@ Just calling my favourite character 'Solf' when the katakana in his name so obviously and plainly say 'Zolf'... Ack, I could translate better than them. But that's enough of my opinions, I should get to work. <3
Aribelle
kkg22104 is in charge of assigning editors, so I'm sure she'll be around to let you know who to send it to. If you're already finished and would like feedback before then you can probably PM her and ask ^^

As for translations, as long as we're consistent I personally don't care which ones we use haha. Viz can indeed be awkward sometimes and they contradict themselves multiple times with different translations for the same characters -__-" so I hardly think they're the ultimate authority on how to translate things :<

But regardless lol, I just care about consistency...so as long as no one else minds it's fine with me \o/
Thalogens
Uhh, is it bad that I haven't started writing either of my chapters yet (and that I want to reserve more, ahah...)? I will be able to, but I'm just asking... D:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.