Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 16: Footsteps Of A Comrade-in-arms - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 4. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 16 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 16 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode

* HD Screen caps of this episode to be posted on this link address sometime later

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, wthe episode title is from official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 16: "Footsteps of a Comrade-in Arms"
From Barry Roy has learned some truth about the murder of Hughes. But, soon Homunculus learn that Roy is searching for the truth about Hughes's murder and Roy has met Barry. Meanwhile, Ed, Al, & Winry come to Central. Ed and Al learn about Hughes' death from Maria Ross at the Headquarters. Meantime, not knowing his death yet, Winry heads straight to Hughes' home.......

Also, FYI, preview of the next episode (episode 17) from FMA-2 official JP site
(Translation by Tombow, the episode title is from official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 17: "Cold Flame"
Ross is under the military custody as an suspect for the murder of Hughes, and the situation seems turning worse for her. Then, to her surprise, Barry attacks the brig where Ross is being held, and together with Ling, helps Ross escape from the military custody. The military issues an order to capture Ross, even shoot to kill if necessary. Ed and Al head for the Headquarters to find out the truth. But, even before Ed and Al find out more about the situation, Roy shows up before Ross, and shoot the flame toward Ross......

=======================================

Episode Summary: (To be filled)

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes, to be filled)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
JoshP1389
It will be a sad episode indeed. :[
penguintruth
Initial impressions:

- Love the detail in scenery of Central
- Aww, Ed an Al run by the booth Hughes was killed in without knowing it!
- The bathroom scene
- Ed running scene... enough already!
- No apple pie! Damn it!
- Henry Douglas looks a little weird compared to his manga counterpart.
- Maria arrested! Jean dating Lust! What an ending!

Things will really be going down in the next episode.
amestris_star
I really must see the RAW and the subs this time... the change in the time-line confused me a bit, but... some thing were really well done.

And next week, EPIC time coming up.

EDIT: Screenshots wink.gif

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/07/19...#comment-505261
Zii
The way they've switched events around made this episode a bit boring to me (the emotionless monster that I am). However, I do wonder if it would have been confusing if they'd left it like in the manga, especially to people who haven't read it. The scenes where the brothers run by the phonebooth, and Gracia crying out of view were interesting additions.

Can a mob of angry fans please crowd outside BONES' studio and grump about them removing half of the little funny bits though? This is not series 1, this is not 98% SRS BSNS, all this seems to be proving is that for the full experience I/we should just stick to the book. Or is that the point? Get them interested with this cut up edition of the anime so they'll go out and buy the manga?
Because clearly, if BONES have the budget to make the 4komas they have the budget to make us giggle a little more often in the series proper! >E *tantrum*

But yes, looks like next week shall be an epic one.
Claudius
QUOTE (Zii @ Jul 19 2009, 03:27 AM) *
Gracia crying out of view were interesting additions.
But wasn't that in the manga?
PLEASE tell me: During this Gracia's one big scene, did BONES visualize her memories of her husband, sorta like...
(FMA1spoiler)
Anime1Hohenheim's reaction to Anime1Sloth?
Zii
QUOTE (Claudius @ Jul 19 2009, 08:18 PM) *
QUOTE (Zii @ Jul 19 2009, 03:27 AM) *
Gracia crying out of view were interesting additions.
But wasn't that in the manga?
PLEASE tell me: During this Gracia's one big scene, did BONES visualize her memories of her husband, sorta like...
(FMA1spoiler)
Anime1Hohenheim's reaction to Anime1Sloth?

It was, but in this ep they don't actually show her - you only hear her. It's more effective, I think.
And err no, I don't think so about the flashbacks. I only remember seeing some after Ed found out about Hughes' death.
Claudius
And err no, I don't think so about the flashbacks. I only remember seeing some after Ed found out about Hughes' death.
And thus the book closes on any hope of a romantic Hughes-Gracia moment...
It's kinda weird that any real evidence comes from Conqueror of Shamballa.
Oh well, to quote myself:
"I'll always have Conqueror of Shamballa for my Hugracia take, as well my fanfics, and a certain series that IMO features characters who make a good live-action resemblance to the Late Brigadier General and his wife…

http://www.angelcordy.com/pictures/angelcordy12.jpg "

I might consider writing an essay about the Three Faces of Gracia (Manga, Anime1, and CoS).
edo little kid
sad things:
-sad,sad,sad every one was sad
- Ed running scene so sad !
-Oh , the booth scene was sad to me !
- Gracia & Elisya...
-Maria told elrics brothers the truth

funny :
-Ling poor
-Gluttony & chimera
-Armstrong smile in bath XD

any way , I love this Episode
I want cry , the art was perfect
but Riza eyes is really so big !!
also Lust's lips is big!
but Lust was really hot when she meet havoc !!

wait for next episode ....
poor Mari Ross she is wronged !!

ShadowCat17
The episodes are getting better yay! I was hoping for apple pie, but the ed/winry scene was still fine the way it was. Very sad episode. The episode makes you think it's going to end in one of those depressed/angst moods but then the ending was a real kicker! I want more episodes, now!
SneakyRuler
This time everything was taken care of well. No they-rushed-this-pretty-badly feeling which is good.

Yay for Havoc and his beautiful girlfriend! Liked the emotianal scene between Ed and Winry in the hotel. Nothing was missing and waw for the preview! Mustang looked scary as hell.
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (SneakyRuler @ Jul 19 2009, 01:22 PM) *
This time everything was taken care of well. No they-rushed-this-pretty-badly feeling which is good.

Yay for Havoc and his beautiful girlfriend! Liked the emotianal scene between Ed and Winry in the hotel. Nothing was missing and waw for the preview! Mustang looked scary as hell.

There were some things missing still, though less than usual thankfully.

Ed making his scary mask design for Ran Fan at the start was gone, as was the train scene (including the hilarious height comparison between Ed and Ling).

Other than that though thankfully it was just minor dialogue cutbacks.

Episode felt good as a whole, shame about no apple pie (I guess the pacing means there was no time for it to be baked!) but I mostly wasn't bothered with any of the changed.

I hope next episode covers quite a lot honestly, I want them to get through a lot of material before episode 19 so that nothing in that episode is missing or rushed.
ShadowCat17
tmd-asu subs are out, find them yourself or pm me for link
Forsaken Love
the episode got better towards the end, i was very annoied they missed out the newspaper part because that was just way better and more emotive and epic, the point of missing out the apple pie i have no idea, but i was really happy we had the part where winry grabbed ed's hand and pulled him inside her hotel room, i thought they may miss that out, the episode certainly became better toward the end

oh edit: wasn't the ling and ed hight comparision meant to be here!? wtf!!! i thought they liked exagerating ed's height i loved that part and isn't that when we find out how old ling actually is, isnt that little character detail slightly important?
rzerox21xx
Who knows what would happened, I was satified with the episode. I think they didnt left out apple pie scene but instead saving it for later snice Winry brought apples and were going to make it and even told Ed while she is sad so who knows they go with there. As far as jokes, who knows maybe in a later episode they will do the Ed comparing to Ling height joke there.

Let the series make this show more different and unique from the manga and first series as well as keeping the manga story. They can't animated word for word always. I perfer they catch me off guard witha twist or something to give each entity it's unique personality. I do agree that leaving out some parts were unncessacry but I'm hoping they might add something to make up for it. Maybe a extra Royai scene in and there or apple pie scene that is different that it will make Edwin fans cry out in joy. That's what I'm hoping.

I can't wait for the next episode.
Sword Alchemist
Such an emotion filled episode. Especially the part with Elicia and Gracia.

I actually like how Maria Ross was the one to tell Ed and Al about Hughes instead of them finding out from the newspaper.

Poor Maria. Cant wait for next episode when we get to see a whole lot of her.

Why are Hawkeye's eye so ridiculously huge?
Hagaren_4ever
AAh! Room 503! XD That's Winry's hotel room! (EdxWin's number) So that's why! I never noticed.

Other than just that, the rest of the episode was great, too. I mean, it wasn't as good as the manga's version of how it all went down. But still good.
First of all, they're really getting a hang of the pacing thing. I haven' seen a really badly paced episode in a couple of weeks. I hope they continue to please me this way. *knock on wood*
I haven't wanted to kill the "Fullmetal Alchemist!" guy in such a long time. I'm liking him lately.
Great voice acting and animation, but Lust seemed to look a bit weird this episode. (Or is that just me?)
edo little kid
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Jul 19 2009, 04:50 PM) *
but Lust seemed to look a bit weird this episode. (Or is that just me?)

me too , as I said Lust's lips was bigest than usual dry.gif
Jen_Elric
This episode was done really well! I was worried about how Ed and Al found out about Hughes' death from Mria, instead of a newspaper, but I liked it!

Maria didn't really tell them that Hughes died, Ed intuition told him something was wrong. After being told by Mustang that Hughes went away to the country, And the brothers were talking to Maria about how they would miss him, Maria tells them Hughes went up two ranks. Since that confused Ed, he wondered why the Military would do that after Hughes moved. And Maria's face told Ed what REALLY happened. I actually liked that. It seemed to have just about the same impact that finding out from a newspaper would have.

Anyways, even thought some things were missing, like some manga humor (what, no height comparison of Ling and Ed?!) and the Apple pie scene (though, Winry TALKED about making an apple pie), and the animation was a tad wierd (especially Lust! What the heck? Did she get collagen injections?!), I thought it was just done very well.

Can't wait til the next one! Mustang's face was scary, and so was Armstrong's!!!
Full Metal Elf
Well...I was sort of disappointed they had to change anything. I mean...the manga was just brilliant with how it was all handled.

Most of all, I missed the face Mustang makes when Ed asks about Hughes. That face is just heartbreaking.

Overall...yes...the emotion was there. It was played-out fairly well. I just hope they don't screw-up the next episode. If they do, I'll be very disappointed.
Animeoldtimer
All-in-all I liked the episode. When I read the first few posts before I saw the episode I thought "Oh no they cut the scene with Ed and Winry!! mad.gif " Then after watching I realized they just (excuse the pun) cut the pie. I liked how they did the scene, but I just couldn't help thinking "ED! Just go over there and hold her!!!" biggrin.gif I reacted the same in the manga.

Good drama, a little quick, but they have less than 25 minutes to work with.
Vagrant
I also noticed Lust looking a little weird. Was it just the lips?

Again, the episode didn't do too much for me. I liked the emotion with Winry. And that was about it.

Oh and I thought the creepy music was totally out of place when Ed found out about Hughes.
EDIT: and another negative note; I don't like Ran Fan's voice.

As usual, l have yet to reread the manga version of this and as usual, expect to hate the episode afterwards. ;D
Trakonda
I personally liked the music on this one.

And the emotion.. wow. ;w; though yeah, I think they SLIGHTLY overdid it in some parts, but then again, it was still lovely. It really showed how much everyone cared about Hughes.
It was a bummer that they didn't do at least some of it in the manga way, though. (I was looking forward to Apple pie scene and the dining scene with Ed holding the fork in his mouth.. I dunno, I just liked how these were done in the manga. )

But heck, it was a good episode still! biggrin.gif
thunderbreak
initial impression
I think i am a bit disappointed ,bcos they firstly change the newspaper scene(luckily we have it next ep )
,and maria ross revelation dont have the same impact as i have in the manga,as so did ed eating sceen and no real apple pie
and probably i watch it on a hot day,so...
i dont know about the music on ed found out hughes is dead,but on other parts i must say it's fantastic.the soundtrack is reminiscent to the atonement soundtrack.it sounds like the fma use another soundtrack bits.

Lust scene at the end is good,and i 'm lad they did not cut falman scene.
i write more later
penguintruth
I don't see why the music is getting compliments. They're still using most of the same tracks they've used every episode, with nary a new one since the fourth episode. Most of them are pretty unimpressive and they use them poorly. That music playing when Gracia was talking to the boys? That piece doesn't belong there. The only good piece was at the very end of the episode when Maria Ross was being arrested and Havoc was going on his date with "Solaris".

The events shuffle was barely noticable, to be honest. I'm sure if I wasn't re-reading the manga as we go along I probably wouldn't even have noticed. They got in Barry, an appearance or two by the Xingese, the brothers and Winry finding out about Hughes' death, the talk with Gracia, the homunculi's plans, the arrest of Maria Ross, and Havoc arriving for his date, and it all flowed very naturally to me. The only thing I might've changed was getting rid of that stupid scene with Ed running in close up for way too long and replaced it with an Ishbal flashback that belonged there during the bathroom conversation between Roy and Major Armstrong.

I find it hilarious that in an episode where they finally got Havoc's character design down (before his face/head was too long), other designs were uneven. For one, Riza's eyes are still way too big at times, they look like they're about to pop. Another is that scene where Lust is talking with Envy and her bottom lip looks messed up. Apparently she fixed her lipstick in time for her date. Then there's Henry Douglas. Doesn't look very much like his manga design, does he? He looks all bumpy now, with a lot of lines on him. He's not an important character, but come on, it's like they didn't even try.

But, it did have some good detail here and there and certainly set up the explosive events coming, so it was a pretty decent episode.
Vagrant
Just reread the manga version. Yeah, this anime honestly just isn't very good considering the material they have to work with.

Every scene loses almost all sense of character or humour. And the changes they're making are just...Weird.
Krokgard
I liked this episode.... yeah, it's not at the level of the manga, but it's still very good imho, and this time they haven't rushed things too much. I just don't know why they changed the "apple pie" scene; the manga version was much better.
I liked a lot also the music in this episode, most in the ending, but I would like if they add some new tracks.

The facts that happen in the next episode were great in the manga... hope they won't change too much (well, I hope they won't change anything biggrin.gif)

QUOTE (Sword Alchemist)
Why are Hawkeye's eye so ridiculously huge?

Ahah, I noticed... in some scenes they're a little bit weird laugh.gif
Mhacy
Just finished watching it..
and I just noticed...darn..they skipped Ed comparing his height with Ling..
I really want to see that scene...
and why the hell Maria Ross is the one who told the Elric Brothers about Hughes Death?

But i have to agree the episode is as great as ever..though it would be better if they follow what is really written in the manga...

I love Ed running with a sad face..blaming himself...and winry's face when she's crying..
she's soo cute...biggrin.gif
Poor Elicia...i wanna hug her...

Overall: This episode was a sad one...but hughes funeral is the only episode that made me cry so far...
rzerox21xx
I'm glad the mentioned the apple pie in the Edwin scene because I think they might do the Ed eating Winry pie later and might make more of a impact. I think the episode did a good job and I like the new soundtrack. It suppose to be a emotional impact to a hearing the death of a really loveable character so to see the main characters go through that was nicely done.

I hoping they would do the Ling Ed heigh comparision in a later episode when they meet in the hotel. I mean his first episode already revealed that he's a prince.
Jealous Rogo
When I saw the preview for this episode last week, I was a tad confused as to why it seemed to be missing any reference to Maria Ross' arrest, and this week I found out why, cause it only happens in the last few minutes.

So they decided to take all the emotional scenes regarding hughes death from Volume 9 (?) and condensced them down into one episode. And in my opinion, it works, and in some places, it's even managed to improve upon the original material. I'm referring mostly to the scene where Ed overhears Gracia crying replacing the scene where Ed looked back in the manga and saw her crying. Obviously there's reasons why the anime version of the scene couldn't have worked in the manga (relying mostly on sound) but it always struck me as odd that Gracia decided to stand by an open window crying.

Maybe it would've been nice if BONES had just left everything 100% in tact from the manga, but then again, why would I want to watch something that I've already read? I like being surprised and Brotherhood is doing a good job at doing that, for better or worse. This week I think they made the better decision, by taking all the talky, emotional stuff and putting it one place. It made the episode have more impact in my opinion.

On the negative side, I don't know if it was just the translation I saw, but I did think it ruined the surprise of that Havoc was dating Lust by having Envy ask Lust if her boyfriend had given her any info. After hearing Havoc announce he had a new gf earlier in the episode, anyone who didn't know must've had alarm bells ringing at that point.

There was also some wonky character designs, but I'm not gonna criticise them too harshly for that, mostly cause I know from personal experience how difficult it is to keep a character on model. So they slipped out on Lust's lips, no biggie in my opinion.

I also liked Focker's eyecatch visually, even if it pretty much said 'yeah this guy is only relevent or interesting because Envy pretended to be him'.

As for the preview for next week, can't say too much without getting into spoilers but it looks good.

Yayness?
Full Metal Elf
QUOTE (Mhacy @ Jul 20 2009, 08:53 AM) *
Just finished watching it..
and I just noticed...darn..they skipped Ed comparing his height with Ling..

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif mad.gif

They did cut that! sad.gif . That is one of my all time favorite scenes between them in the manga T__T.

They also cut Mustang hitting on Winry, loved that part, haha

But seriously...the facial expressions on this page:

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/35/09/

I am so disappointed they couldn't even get close in the anime sad.gif .
Cece
They missed the train scene T.T and the height comparison. I really liked the train scene and to me that was important because I like the Ed/Ling friendship part so it kinda made Ed seem like a jerk in brotherhood when he said I'm tired of this. Winry was supposed to meet Roy and the newspaper usage was better than her just going to the Hughes' house. would it have killed bones to put an apple pie there in stead of apples? That was just an idiotic and unnecessary change. I also wanted the Ishbal flashback. I'm really ready to stop watching brotherhood. I can't stand to watch Bones mess up my favorite series twice. This episode was just ugh! terrible.
Radadinator
QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Jul 20 2009, 08:02 AM) *
Maybe it would've been nice if BONES had just left everything 100% in tact from the manga, but then again, why would I want to watch something that I've already read? I like being surprised and Brotherhood is doing a good job at doing that, for better or worse. This week I think they made the better decision, by taking all the talky, emotional stuff and putting it one place. It made the episode have more impact in my opinion.

This. I think I've said this some other time before, but I'd rather have Brotherhood take liberties with some stuff from the manga than copy every exact detail, panel by panel. Even if BONES did mess up on some parts, they did make some good decisions.

Just because they skipped a funny Edwin scene or whatever doesn't mean that they're doing terrible with characterization and development. They'll probably do the apple pie scene in another episode.

Although the biggest risk BONES is taking right now is not making the Edwin and RoyxRiza fangirls happy. XD;
Kale Mustang
I enjoyed the episode and liked some of the background changes they made like Roy shaving in the bathroom or Havoc wearing civilian clothes when he goes to visit Falman & Barry.

Changing up the the reveal for Hughes' death was actually well done, especially when Winry finds out about Hughes just by simply visiting Elysia and Gracia rather than the newspaper. The phone booth was a nice touch as well.

I actually kind of liked that Roy and Armstrong's conversation was condensed a bit, since it's wiser to save the bits and pieces of the Ishval War for the arc.

There were a few inconsistencies with some of the artwork or something that jumped out (Roy having his sleeves rolled up one frame and having them unrolled the next - I figured it out though, it happened off-screen) but for the most part, it was fine.

I will say though that even Roy's slightly unshaven look made him look like a thirteen year old trying to grow some facial hair. laugh.gif
Jealous Rogo
QUOTE (Radadinator @ Jul 20 2009, 02:07 PM) *
Just because they skipped a funny Edwin scene or whatever doesn't mean that they're doing terrible with characterization and development. They'll probably do the apple pie scene in another episode.

Although the biggest risk BONES is taking right now is not making the Edwin and RoyxRiza fangirls happy. XD;

Agreed, there are a few little things this week I was dissapointed not to see (weirdest of them being Ed sullen with a fork in his mouth, it just seemed nice and different to me) but I wouldn't say that the series has made any horrible choices. The pacing has been a tad fast in places I have to admit, but only when you compare it other anime that just drag on, and on and on.

Also, the Lin and Ed height scene, I think that's a safe scene to have come up in the future. They at least need to establish that Lin is only 15, which they didn't do in ep 15 as far as I remember.
Mr. Deathy
QUOTE (Jealous Rogo)
Also, the Lin and Ed height scene, I think that's a safe scene to have come up in the future. They at least need to establish that Lin is only 15, which they didn't do in ep 15 as far as I remember.

There is actually another scene where it's established he's 15. I think it's in chapter 35. They'll probably just go with that scene.

It's really a shame the height comparison is gone because it's a legendary humour moment in the manga, probably one of the best.

would it have killed bones to put an apple pie there in stead of apples? That was just an idiotic and unnecessary change.

I think that was because, due to the way they paced it, Winry was there for far less time than she was in the manga, so it didn't make sense for her to have any time to bake an apple pie with Mrs. Hughes, so instead they focused on the fact that she was planning on making a pie but couldn't because Hughes was gone.

It was annoying though because it meant Ed done NOTHING to make her feel better, where as in the manga he takes a bite of the pie and says it's delicious.

About the Ishval flashback, I think they aren't bothering with that since they're going to be animating all those scenes at a later point anyway and don't feel the need to repeat things. They've had little snippets in other episodes at least though and I'm confident they will animate the big one (though I seriously hope it isn't a one episode rush job like Greed).
RoyxRizaFan
Not a bad episode. Better pacing this time around.

I was SO happy they left in Barry - I was sure they wouldn't. Even though they changed around the dialouge, it was still funny, especially adding the line about Riza XD

Taking out the height comparison was sad...but hopefully you're all right, and they'll add it later on *crosses fingers*

Ross telling them wasn't too bad, after all. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of her next week...

The pie thing made sense, but it was kind of awkward when she started crying and there was no pie lol

Sheska is adorable, BTW. And Riza's eyes are gigantic.
theicecreamalchemist
This is my favourite episode of Brotherhood so far, with last weeks coming in close second.

I think they've finally hit the right note with the pacing and I hope it stays this way. Any faster and I'll be disappointed again. I actually thought the little changes they inserted worked overall, especially the Maria Ross part. I liked the manga version too, but the creators clearly made select choices as to what they thought would work in animated form and I think they made the right ones this episode. Maria realising what she had let slip, her horror, and Ed's gradual comprehension (the look on his face! ohmy.gif ) made the scene all the more intense for me. The scene with Elysia and Gracia definitely tugged on my heartstrings too! More so then Hughes' death strangely enough. But maybe thats because I've seen the funeral twice now and once its hit hard the first time, its hard to do so again without the shock factor. The Elrics running past the phone booth was an ominous touch. Hearing Gracia crying was effective dramatically and got the same response from me as Ed looking up at the window in the manga and seeing Gracia crying. It was very saddening.

I was trying to pay more attention to the music then in previous episodes . It was okay, it fitted, but was nothing spectacular. I wouldn't say its a strong point in the series so far unlike it was in FMA1. They could improve on that. I missed the Ishbal flashback in the bathroom and the Ling height comparison. But I've finally, FINALLY got used to Edward's bleach blonde hair! I was so in love with his first series golden hair. Gah. Its change affected me more then it should. Lol, ridiculous.

I'm a BIG fan of the first dub and was going to wait till Brotherhood was dubbed, but I can't help myself now. tongue.gif Its getting good. Although they shouldn't have rushed the beginning to reach this point, in my opinion. And shouldn't have relied on the old anime/manga to fill in the blanks as they skipped ahead. A new adaption is a new adaption and should be treated as such. But even moreso for the newbies to the show. I didn't feel there was any need for such a fast, condensed version of the beginning when the manga offers so much more to include. But hey, we're here now. I can't wait for next week after seeing the preview. I want to see how they handle it cause I really love that part of the manga.

BluePhoenix
They actually aren't rushing as much as they did for the old anime stuff. And also, it may seem like they are rushing because it seems like a lot of material when you read it, but once you put it in an episode it's shorter. I think the pacing for this episode was good. I think they should have left the scene where we see that Armstrong abandoned Ishbal, but that's one of my biggest complaints. I also wanted the scene where Winry and Riza met each other again and made comments about the hair/earrings in the manga, it's a nice wink to those who read the gaidens. I didn't mind the pie being left out that much, especially because she had the apples in front of her. It's like a way of saying "the pie is incomplete right now, so is Winry's wish of having Hughes taste it someday." And the end of the episode was great!

My eyes actually watered when I saw Ross' face when she realized that she had accidentally told Ed about Hughes' death. I also thought it appropriate because since she is the one who was later accused, it'll have more of an impact on those who haven't read the manga because they saw a little more of her and in that scene we see her genuine sadness about the whole thing. And it'll affect Ed more too I guess.
Serb Alchemist
Very sad episode... It is getting better, and better!!! biggrin.gif
Mistress of Misery
QUOTE (BluePhoenix @ Jul 20 2009, 05:30 PM) *
My eyes actually watered when I saw Ross' face when she realized that she had accidentally told Ed about Hughes' death. I also thought it appropriate because since she is the one who was later accused, it'll have more of an impact on those who haven't read the manga because they saw a little more of her and in that scene we see her genuine sadness about the whole thing. And it'll affect Ed more too I guess.

I agree with this. More emotional fodder for the next episode.

The pacing, fortunately, was very good this episode (with the exception of Ed's running scene, which stretched just long enough to be awkward). This anime is still pretty touch-and-go right now - I never know whether the next episode will be brilliant or crap - so I suppose I'd better be happy for any little improvements.

The phone booth and Gracia crying scenes were interesting touches. Somehow, I found this episode more emotional and depressing than Hughes' death; possibly the latter lost some emotional impact for me after seeing it so many times, and it was rather badly paced. But this one...I haven't been this moved since Nina.

Nevertheless, the music could use some work. I miss FMA1's music. Sigh.

Great ending, lots of suspense. Loads of epic coming up next week. Waiting for the next episode of Brotherhood is always kind of painful for me, since I can't help suspecting that it'll be screwed up again, but I guess I'll remain cautiously optimistic.
Hagaren_4ever
Am I the only one who wants to talk about the whole 503 thing? Is that really the only reason 503 is EdxWin's number? Really? 'Cause I was under the impression it had to do with something like... jeans called Edwin or something? I don't remember, someone please explain. >_<
edxwinryfan
Pretty goood episode smile.gif My favourite part was the EdxWinry scene of course! When Winry took Ed's hand it was so cute I even took a picture of it it with my camera tongue.gif I didn't mind Ed and Al finding out about Hughes' death from Maria. I was a little disappointed that they left out the height comparison thing between Ed and Ling mellow.gif
kkg22104
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Jul 20 2009, 08:27 PM) *
Am I the only one who wants to talk about the whole 503 thing? Is that really the only reason 503 is EdxWin's number? Really? 'Cause I was under the impression it had to do with something like... jeans called Edwin or something? I don't remember, someone please explain. >_<

Yeah, apparently a company called Edwin makes jeans, and the number 503 is involved...somewhere...well check out their website for yourself. I was surprised that they included that extra bit of EdxWin in there, though they did sort of screw up the apple pie scene.
rzerox21xx
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jul 20 2009, 07:34 PM) *
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Jul 20 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Yeah, apparently a company called Edwin makes jeans, and the number 503 is involved...somewhere...well check out their website for yourself. I was surprised that they included that extra bit of EdxWin in there, though they did sort of screw up the apple pie scene.

Wow, thats really interesitng. I think someone should post this info on the Ed winry thread.
alphonse-fma
Ed Come in

BluePhoenix
I think I remember reading something about a company called Edwin that makes a line of jeans called 503, so the Edwin (the couple) fans associated the number with the couple, and Arakawa threw it in knowing about it and everything. I'm not entirely sure where I read it, but it was something like that
Forsaken Love
lol really? arakawa is so considerate of her fans! that is actually pretty cool
Chiyo
Yes the 503 thing is a style of jeans called Edwin.

I didn't like this episode very much, but I can't pinpoint exactly why. It had all it required, but I really don't like how they've altered scenes and removed even the slightest moment of humour. Although Ed spends a lot of this episode feeling guilty about Hughes death, there isn't the scene with him kicking himself for leaving the paper out for Winry to see it. I hate to bring it up...but it's almost taking away scenes that I think are vital to their relationship. Winry doesn't display her tears as much in the manga, and Ed takes a slice of pie as his way of awkwardly comforting her...and they changed it. Rant over...for now.

The rest of the episode was okay though, if perhaps a little slow paced. I know it's more of a filler/build up episode and we've had some good action so in the grand scheme of things it's okay. I think Hawkeye looked a little too wide eyed though, too child like.
Broken Chouchou
Descent episode, no major noticable flaws (or perhaps I was just tired when watching), though a few skipped scenes that would have been nice to see included. Though, a slight problem. I just can't, CAN'T, get myself into feeling bad for the characters. This show doesn't give me any emotional reactions whatsoever. I can count one or two times when I've actually felt something. That's it. Am I just hollow on the inside, or is it something else? Something like this show not feeling quite as original, or genuine, or good as one could wish? I Dunno.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.