Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 15: Envoy From The East - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 6. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 15 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 15 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode

* HD Screen caps of this episode to be posted on this link address sometime later

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, with tentative episode title id from official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 15: "Envoy from the East"
On the way to Central, Scar and Yoki run into a mysterious girl, May, who uses "rentanjitsu," a strange form of Alchemy from the East. She tells them that she is from Xing, a large country East of Amestris, and she is here to find the way to achieve immortality. Meantime, Ed and Al are in Rush Valley to get Ed's automail repaired. There, they run into a boy collapsed of hunger in the street. His name is Lin, and he is also from Xing, and he tells Ed that he is here in search of Philosopher's Stone. Lin asks Ed if he knows anything about the Stone, and Ed tells Lin that "he knows nothing about it." Just then, two shadowy figures approach from behind, and Ed and Al felt the blades pointing at them in their back...

Also, FYI, preview of the next episode (episode 16) from FMA-2 official JP site
(Translation by Tombow, with tentative episode title till we see official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 16:TBA
TBA..

Reminder:
As you all know, the new OP/ED will be introduced with this episode, and for the discussions of OP/ED, we have
FMA:B OP/ED theme music and Soundtrack discussion thread,
FMA:B OP (visual & sound) discussion thread &
FMA:B ED (visual & sound) discussion thread.

Hope to hear your opinions on the new EP/OP on these threads!! biggrin.gif

And, in case you'd like to post in-depth discussions of VAs for new characters, we have FMA:B Voice Casting discussion thread. biggrin.gif

=======================================

Episode Summary: (To be filled)

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes, to be filled)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
Alzea
I'm in despair! Or am I really?
Probably...as a Royai fangirl I'm in it since there was no jealous!Roy and they cut Barry scene T_T
But what with the whole episode?
They cut Mei's Youswell introduction, but hey, there was at least amazing!Ed in her dreams and few other funny things from manga. Lin and RanFun made episode for me, I think every part with them was great biggrin.gif About OP/ED no good parts with Roy n Riza! OBJECTION! they were good...I mean OP, when you look at it you can see many spoilers from upcoming fights (Lust fight!)
Maybe I'll say something more with subs or at least HQ raw since KeyHoleTV is a b!tch -.-
penguintruth
My initial impressions of the episode:

- Scar's fight with the Silver Alchemist was pretty rad.
- Wow, Mei just sort of appeared, without any real intro. And she's already having daydreams about Edward, without ever having heard about him, I think. Hm.
- Mamoru Miyano is a fine Ling. Probably a better VA than the character deserves. I did enjoy seeing him enjoy Ed's hospitality, or rather, force it.
- A little geography lesson really made the world expand.
- The battle was fairly well done.
- Barry's meeting with Riza, Roy, and Falman was sped up, but it wasn't bad, either.
- I love Ranfan's VA. Sure, it's the kid Wrath from the first series, but it fits so well for her!
- The pace is pretty dizzying at times, but they did keep a lot of the humor. Mr. Garfiel!
- Next episode has Ed running down a certain alley!

Overall, a fairy decent episode, overlooking my dislike for the Xingese characters.

I love the new OP credit sequence, but not so much the song. The new ED isn't as good as the first one.
amestris_star
QUOTE (Alzea @ Jul 12 2009, 10:35 AM) *
I'm in despair! Or am I really?
Probably...as a Royai fangirl I'm in it since there was no jealous!Roy and they cut Barry scene T_T
But what with the whole episode?
About OP/ED no good parts with Roy n Riza! OBJECTION! they were good...I mean OP, when you look at it you can see many spoilers from upcoming fights (Lust fight!)

Nah you're not the only one. I was looking forward for that too... anyways.
And I need to see the OP again, I was squeeing as soon as I saw the Roy-tachi so... lol, and yes, there's significant foreshadowing in it *nods*

EDIT:
Found screenshots for who's interested:

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/07/12...brotherhood-15/
kkg22104
Yay, screenshots from R andom Curiosity. I can't wait to see the episode. The Xingese characters look great!
amestris_star
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jul 12 2009, 12:12 PM) *
Yay, screenshots from R andom Curiosity. I can't wait to see the episode. The Xingese characters look great!

OT:
There's the OP and ED too!
kkg22104
I spy lots of manga panels in the screenshots! I'm glad they kept Mei's imaginary Ed laugh.gif And RanFan looks adorable :3

OT:
@Tombow: Small typo, it says "Spoilers for the first 16 episodes" even though we're only up to episode 15 tongue.gif
Tombow
Screen shots look good!! ^^
Also, I see Xing is a BIG country and Amestris is so tiny according to this map.

OT:
Oops, thank you, kkg22104!! Corrected. biggrin.gif
penguintruth
Amestris sure is landlocked. And, as usual, it looks like a cookie with a bite in it.

(All Father wants is the cookie!)

Chiyo
Only going by the screenshots so far I think I'm going to enjoy this episode, seeing a lot of scenes taken right from the manga (though I can imagine there are many missed out as well). Rather excited by the preview screenshots too...
SneakyRuler
Am I so childish or do I really dislike Ling just because he was mean to Ed in the beginning? biggrin.gif Probably so.

Scar vs. Silver Alchemist battle was great, it got aproximately the same length as in manga, you had to be amazed at what trick the old grandpa comes with next.
No complaints about Mei (OK, I miss her meeting Yoki a little), her adoration of Edward is fun to watch and am I wrong or did Scar try to kill Xiao Mei?! Looked like it.
What I probably will sulk about for some time is not enough Barry. He is so genuine in his desire to chop things up that I can't help but want to see more ("Can I chop you?" "No." "Can I chop them?" "No!") and I MISSED him decribing Lust and Envy *weeps*
The rest of the episode was good, fight scenes are usually done well in Brotherhood.

Can't tell so much about VA untill I see this ep in better quality...

----
Loved Mr. Garfiel!
Kirara
QUOTE (SneakyRuler @ Jul 12 2009, 05:21 AM) *
and am I wrong or did Scar try to kill Xiao Mei?! Looked like it.

Yes you are wrong but that's not your fault because they purposely tried to make it look like that but knowing Scar he wasn't trying to hurt Xiao Mei he was trying to pet Xiao Mei

Btw does anyone remember if Xiao Mei is a boy or a girl?

Anyways as for the episode itself I really enjoyed most of it but I can't give it a perfect score because I was somewhat disappointed in the introduction of Mei and the Barry the Chopper scene. The rest of the episode was great though and just as fun as the related manga chapters.

As for the new voices I really loved Ran Fan, Ling and Fu, but Mei's was a little grating to me (it does fit her character but I wish they chose someone whose voice was not as high pitched).
rzerox21xx
Anyone notice in Mei's daydreaming of Ed looking all bishounen, he looks alot like Vega from street fighter. All he needs it he claws and rose.

edo little kid
Looool , this ep was funny
I loved it very much !!
I loved Lin !! he is so lovely
Ed XDDDD awesome as always !
Win X Ed sooo niceee
Riza X Barry ,,,sad the part was fast , any way Riza was sooo soooo beautiful & sexy in that style !!
Woow yes, Ranfan voice=Wrath in 1st season , yeah good one !
May-chan sooo cuteee
the fight was amazing !

OP/En

In fact ,,,,,,,,,,, OP/EN was amazing !!!
this is my opinion , I really loved new OP/EN !!!!!!

Great job bones!!!!!!!
Sannom
QUOTE ("Kirara")

Xiao Mei is a girl wink.gif Do your spoil really needs to be spoiled though? It is spoiler, but spoiler that has more to do with databooks and bonus material than actual manga material, and it is not really important for the plot...

QUOTE ("Kirara")
because I was somewhat disappointed in the introduction of Mei

I liked it personaly, especially the bit when they are in the cart and May is sleeping while Scar and Yoki are talking.

About Yoki, is it me or is the lack of proper introduction makes him just a little bit more likeable than in the manga (although I like him in the manga. The guy proves useful at the most unexpected moments laugh.gif ).
Forsaken Love
mm it was alright, i was annoied that they missed out youswell tbh, mei's first demonstration of rendanshu was no where near the level of epicness+ she just sort of appeared, upset that the barry and roy thing was missed out ¬_¬ and i was also annoied that they missed out the pannle where winrys chasing ed with a chainsaw along a beach, atleast they kept the titan wrath one in though and Mei's Ed fantasy.

OT: on Voice Casting
I like Ran-fan's and ling's VA's, Mei's I didn't like so much but meh, all in all could have been a lot worse but also a lot better
strawberry_pockyness!!!
I really liked the episode but doesn't it seem like they're moving really really fast?? I mean the Scar fight the showed at the beginning doesn't happen until like 2 or 3 volumes later in the manga. They really shortened Barry's intro too D: Mei's intro with Youswell was cut too, but they cut Youswell out earlier, so I guess it's not being mentioned at all in this series. I just really hope they start slowing it down. I want another long series XD besides, FMA's story is too complex for a shorter one.
ShadowCat17
This episode looked great, the fight in Rush Valley was cool. And I liked Ed's see-saw joke lol. But I haven't found any subs yet...
strawberry_pockyness!!!
I really liked the episode but doesn't it seem like they're moving really really fast?? I mean the Scar fight the showed at the beginning doesn't happen until like 2 or 3 volumes later in the manga. They really shortened Barry's intro too D: Mei's intro with Youswell was cut too, but they cut Youswell out earlier, so I guess it's not being mentioned at all in this series. I just really hope they start slowing it down. I want another long series XD besides, FMA's story is too complex for a shorter one.

Well I mean this episode. I expected the repeated stuff to go fast but it should slow down again with the new material. Maybe I'm just being..... paranoid lol.
Cece
I'm really sad I wanted to see more Barry and as a Royai fangirl I'm totally crushed that they skipped the jealousy thing. Winry chasing Ed with a chainsaw was really hilarious when I read it in the manga and I was REEEEEAAAAALLLLLLYYYY looking forward to it. Bones let me down. On the upside the fighting was cool.
Beretta
I went into a slight depression when I saw that they skipped the infamous Barry scene from the manga... but I suppose that the very nice Scar vs. Silver Alchemist fight scene and great job with bringingMei and Ling into the mix make up for that. I'm liking what they're doing with this series thus far!
Mhacy
Just finished watching the RAW.
I must say that this is an amusing episode for me.
I've been waited to see the xingese animated.
and RanFan is soo cute. my avatar say so. biggrin.gif
i admit that they skip some cute manga scenes but overall the fight, plot, etc. are awesome.
i love the new OP smile.gif
_Jelly
I'm kind of half way through the RAW, skipping parts as I go, I'm waiting for the sub mostly but so far, the OP looks good. I'm always loving the fight scenes in openings, they're so much beter than the ones in the episodes themself.

And um... I forgot when the first time Al clapped his hands was... I'm pretty sure it wasnt this early though? Maybe? Dont know? I always just thought it was later on. I might be thinking of the other anime completely though.

omg the Xing trio are the cutest things I've ever seen :3

EDIT: Oh yeah I just remembered, they completely skipped the part where they found Black Hayate.

OT: On Ling's Voice Cast
Ling's voice sounds so bishounen it's freaking me out. They also skipped some of the Barry stuff. Aaaw... I was waiting just for that...
Forsaken Love
oh i forgot another part they missed out which made me sad >_< not only did they skip the royai scene but also an edwin jealousy scene too, where ling proposes to winry and Ed gets mad, i'm getting very upset at the amount of comedy and character development getting scrapped from the series, its just as important as the actual plot thats going at hyper speed anyway,

still waiting for subs though
kkg22104
QUOTE (JELEE @ Jul 13 2009, 03:01 AM) *
And um... I forgot when the first time Al clapped his hands was... I'm pretty sure it wasnt this early though? Maybe? Dont know? I always just thought it was later on. I might be thinking of the other anime completely though.

I haven't actually seen the episode yet. (Edit: I just watched it with Chinese subs) Bones actually did this part right. Here it is in the manga.
Krokgard
QUOTE (JELEE @ Jul 13 2009, 03:01 AM) *
EDIT: Oh yeah I just remembered, they completely skipped the part where they found Black Hayate.

Yeah I noticed. Maybe they'll do a flashback in the future.... but probably they won't.

QUOTE (Cece @ Jul 12 2009, 11:01 PM) *
Winry chasing Ed with a chainsaw was really hilarious when I read it in the manga and I was REEEEEAAAAALLLLLLYYYY looking forward to it.

D'oh! That was one of the funniest scenes of the whole manga.

OT:
Still no English subs (am i wrong?)
rzerox21xx
OT:

QUOTE (Krokgard @ Jul 13 2009, 04:34 AM) *

Yeah I noticed. Maybe they'll do a flashback in the future.... but probably they won't.

the Black Hayate orgiin will be on the omakes in the dvds.
Krokgard
OT: On bonus item for FMA: Brotherhood DVD set

QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ Jul 13 2009, 09:14 AM) *
the Black Hayate orgiin will be on the omakes in the dvds.

Oh... cool! I' ll have one more reason to buy Brotherhood's DVDs. It's a certain thing or an hypothesis?
ed elric lover
yeah it was a great episode i seen it 3 times live,raw,sub my favorite scene was when winry beat up ed two time>
Tombow
<Program Note>

Ok, guys, please stop filling the thread with these "are subs out yet?" OT posts. smile.gif

Instead, here is one way to deal with the situation, if you'd like....
Anyone, who find the sub, please post some comment on the episode, then if you are feeling generous and kind, at the end of the post you can comment as OT that you watched the sub. Then anyone who would be interested, just go ahead and PM that poster with the personal inquiry on the sub. Please don't make more OT posts asking that poster to send you the link, but PM that poster, please?

ETA: Now that subs are out, I took out all these "Are subs out yet?" OT posts. dry.gif
Please stop making these completely OT posts, and start posting actual CONTENT DISCUSSION for this episode. smile.gif

-------------------

Also, Reminder:
For the discussions of OP/ED, please post your comments on:
FMA:B OP/ED theme music and Soundtrack discussion thread,
FMA:B OP (visual & sound) discussion thread &
FMA:B ED (visual & sound) discussion thread.

Hope to hear your opinions on the new EP/OP on these threads!!

And, for discussions of VAs for new characters, please post your comments on
FMA:B Voice Casting discussion thread. smile.gif
Makika
Hayate *--*

Own, the brazilian version episode is online,
so much things happening on this ep! *-*
Serb Alchemist
OT:
You can PM me and ask me for these addresses:

<PM me and ask me for the address for this Torrent download of 1280x720 of episode 15>

<PM me and ask me for the address for this torrent download of Episode 15 avi file>

Or, I can send these to one person (to be named here later) and then everyone can PM that person for the address.

<Post merged. ^^ ~ Board Staff>
Tombow
<Program Note>

@Serb Alchemist - Welcome to the board!! biggrin.gif
Just to be safe, I edited out the link addresses. ...Sorry. Hope you don't mind.
Though, sharing that info privately would be fine, IMO. ^^

---------

QUOTE (Jen_Elric @ Jul 12 2009, 01:21 PM) *
After seeing the screenshots, I'm a little surprised that the OP shows Gluttony in his true form. People might think it's just another homunculus, instead of him, but still. It's a spoiler. lol

@Jen_Elric - I moved your post to FMA: Brotherhood OP discussion thread. Please continue the discussions for FMA: Brotherhood OP there. smile.gif

----------

@Krokgard - I noticed that you keep adding quotes to your post WITHOUT giving any info where these quote are from. Hence to us readers, these quotes on your post appear out of nowhere and we have no idea where these quotes are from.. You know where you're taking these quotes from, but unless you TELL US on your post, we can't read your mind. ^^ So... please be kind, and if you include QUOTE on your post, please try to include the source info (where you took the quote from) on your post also. smile.gif
The following are some of the ways you can achieve this:

1. You can manually write a note such as:
"The following quote is from xxx's post on page xx."

--------

2. Or, you can manually add quote source info inside the quote header, like how Sannom does with quotes in his posts, like this:
QUOTE ("Kirara")

To do that, you can manually add the name of the poster into the quote code, this way:
Original:
CODE
[quote]....[/quote]

Then, into the opening "quote" code, add the poster's name, like this: ="name"
CODE
[quote="Kirara"].....[/quote]

--------

3. Or, take easier way, and when making quote, GO TO the POST where you want to take the quote from, and at Bottom Right corner of that post you see " REPLY button.

Click on it, and then that post will be AUTOMATICALLY added to your reply post composing window with ALL THE SOURCE INFO, including a handy red snap back arrow <- which we can click and then instantly taken to the source post.

Next, please TRIM OFF any unnecessary part of that quote that is NOT directly related to your comments, and then compose the rest of your post as usual,

Then when you're done composing, click on Add Reply button at the bottom.

=============

~ Thank you, and now please resume regular chapter 15 content discussions. biggrin.gif
Serb Alchemist
QUOTE (Tombow @ Jul 14 2009, 02:52 PM) *
<Program Note>

@Serb Alchemist - Welcome to the board!! biggrin.gif
Just to be safe, I edited out the link addresses. ...Sorry. Hope you don't mind.
Though, sharing that info privately would be fine, IMO. ^^

Thanks!!! biggrin.gif
It's OK!! wink.gif No need to be sorry about anything!!!
If anyone want's download link, he can send me PM, and I will send download link to him wink.gif

And here is another one, still no [eclipse], but TMD-ASU are more then good...

<PM me and ask me for the address for this Torrent download of [TMD-ASU] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 15 [H264-720p][7C4CFF8D] mkv>

cool.gif cool.gif
Krokgard
Yay! I watched the subbed version on streaming. The subs sucked a little bit, but it's still ok.

First, the new opening is cool, nothing to say about it. The new ending is very simple but still nice.

I don't like very much how they managed the "Roy and co find Barry" stuff. It was hilarious in the manga to see Barry in love. Maybe they should have gave more time to that.
The fight Scar VS Silver Alchemist was amazing; the Mai Chang part, too, but the manga version (with Mai that comes to the mine and save the children's father) was very cool, I hoped they would make it. Oh oh, maybe that part will be an omake on a DVD! It's just an hypothesis but it would be cool.

The part in Rush Valley was well-made; the fight, most of all, is really great.

In the end, a very good episode I say.

Now I'm waiting for the next one... I think we'll have Ed, Al and Winry discovering of Hughes' death, and maybe the Maria Ross' arrest
Jealous Rogo
Okay just watched a badly subbed version of this (PM me if you want to know the address) and while the translations were pretty poor, it at least allowed me to get through the episode and actually understand what was going on.

First off, not actually that surprised that they cut May Chang in Youswell. Indeed I was curious how on earth they were gonna explain Youswell seeings as they reduced that entire story to a single line mentioned by Yoki. Not at all bothered to see Youswell go either, it's not important and the way they introduced May Chang this time around worked just as well. Bit dissapointed they took out Yoki bowing and pleading forgiveness from Xaoi Mei but ah well.

The only downside I can see to remvoing the Youswell bit of the story is that we don't get to see that Renjenjustu is long ranged as well as short ranged. I will also give BONES credit for working things around to give an excuse for her to use it (Scar indeed got cut on the leg when he fought the Silver Alchemist in the manga)

The Hawkeye and Barry bit, despite having the Mustang threatening to burn Barry removed, was still highly entertaining. I also felt that Hayate's introduction here worked pretty well. As much as I do enjoy his introduction omake, I dont think we need to see it animated again. Bit sad they cut out the bit where Falman gets 'volunteered' to look after Barry, but I suspect that some of that's coming up next week.

Happy to see Lin and his bodyguard, and I actually really, really like Lin's voice. It's about as close to how I imagined him speaking as you could get. He also made me laugh quite a bit during the episode, an impressive feat considering I knew half of his jokes were coming. Fuu and Lanfan were cool as well, as was the animation during the fighting sequences. Again, not surprised that they incorperated some of the dialogue that originally took place on the train into this episode, it made sense and was unobtrusive.

What does surprise me slightly is how Lin throws all his cards on the table here by telling Ed and Al pretty much everything about him. I guess they've done that to save time later on and explain his motivations better. Just a shame that in doing so they've removed Lin flirting with Winry.

Overall, a good episode, I enjoyed it. Next weeks looks very... interesting. The preview shots were very unhelpful but I'm guessing their trying to keep what's coming a surprise.
Trakonda
First up, I have to say.. AWESOME opening. And ending. biggrin.gif it was such a neat surprise when I got back home yesterday and looked for the new episode.

This episode was great! I love how they keep some of the manga panels here. The scene when Ed and Al went to see Winry was hilarious.

So is the part scene Ed discovers that Al can transmute without a circle, too. I seriously laughed out loud on that part. 8'D

The fighting scenes were neat, Ling and his bodyguards + May turned out great as animated. I'm happy that we're finally getting to the manga-only plot, and can't wait to see more! The next episode surely is going to be interesting. (;_;)
Krokgard
QUOTE (Trakonda @ Jul 14 2009, 12:22 PM) *
The scene when Ed and Al went to see Winry was hilarious.

lol, agree

OT: on Voice cssting of Ling
Yeah I forgot to say that before! Ling's voice is perfect for him

<Krokgard, please read my post above. Thank you!! ~ Tombow>
(Feel free to delete this little note anytime after you read. ^^)

@Tombow: Oh, ok, no problem!
Kyelinn
Ahhhh!!! I LOVE Ling's voice! They picked a perfect VA for him and I LOVE RanFan! I loved seeing her animated. She's such a cutie. The whole episode was really well done except there are some scenes I'm disappointed that they kept out like the Royai scene where Roy gets all protective of Riza and the whole Barry the Chopper being in love with Riza. I'm also bummed they kept out the scene where Ling flirts with Winry, but who knows. Maybe they'll have it at the beginning of next week's episode. Anyway, this was great. biggrin.gif I also enjoyed the new OP/ED, but most of all I'm so excited about the Xing characters showing up now and it's getting into JUST the manga side of the story. Yay!
thunderbreak
this episode begins with silver alchemist.I wish they atleast put a caption as to mention who is he.the fight is still very fine.music is good
forMei Chan-her voice is too ..childish..she sounds a lot like yachiru from bleach (or almost the same)i expect her to be a bit more mature...despite of this i think she gave a good performance.
i am dissapointed that they did not show the scenes on how yoki mets mei chan(ie move youswell scene to yoki)
For Prince Edward Elric gag -i think some parts of drawing are a bit off...still it's good that they include in handsome prince edward XD
For the Xing people,i think ling yao seiyuu,miyano's performance is AMAZING.For Ran Fun,despite only a few lines,she did an excellent job.Fu 's seiyuu is good too.
music:i think ran fun vs edward music is a bit off here.i would prefer it if they put in chinese music,or some other music than this part.i think this music is heard at the almost end scene in ep10.it fits well there,but not here.
overall it's quite a light episode depite the beginning.for preview parts,i understand why they did not include exciting scenes,but it's good if they can let in one or too that might serve as a cliffhanger thingy.
Jen_Elric
After a longer than usual wait for subs, I'm very happy to have at last seen this episode subbed! Even though the subs were badly done. Most of the time, it was a bit hard to understand. But I still liked it!

The Silver Alchemist vs. Scar fight was short and sweet. The old guy had the same fighting style as in the manga.
Mei just showing up was a tad strange, but I was ok with it. I'm not much of a fan of the youswell arc anyways. Her voice fit her well! Not too squeeky. It wasn't annoying, in fact it was cute! Loved how Xiao Mei bit Yoki. lol
Ahh, the Ed fantasy. Mei has such a wild imagination. lmao
Yay, more Barry! I loved how they kept in that he falls for Riza! But I was disappointed that there was no Jealous Roy scene.
Ling!!! Finally! Loved his voice, it was perfect! and the fight with Fuu and Ranfan was awesome! I actually had to rewind to see Al perform Alchemy by clapping his hands. I had thought it was Ed, but realized it was Al!
The OP and ED was nice, especially the OP with the foreshadowing.
Great episode, and I can't wait to see it again from Funi (especially since the subs will be better)!
Vagrant
Awful subtitles (fansub.) Man alive.

Anyway, the episode once again did nothing for me. :\
And I'm not sure about how certain scenes were handled, nor the ordering. Plus, I really liked Ling in the manga and wanted to punch him the entire time here.

I dunno. I'd have more thoughts when I reread the manga versions.

(didn't care for the new opening/ending at all either. Not much positivity.)

EDIT:
Read the manga version. How is that every single scene flows better, has more, better and funnier dialogue?
Got a lot more detail and characterisation across in the military with Barry bit and made Ling a little bit more likable. (but not as much as I expected)

I mean it seems like they got the fight scenes almost right, but they still managed to make bits of them a bit weird. (like how Ed flips Ran Fan and how she recovers. Or Ed's flashback on how he did capture her)

And the Mei Chan changes are just...Weird.

OT: By the way, this "rentanjutsu"? What's the official translation there in FMA manga? Just Xingese alchemy or...?
<Off-topic content. Please discuss this on Xing Alchemy thread. Thank you. ~ T.>
Tombow
Split topic content from kitsunepixie's post.
QUOTE (kitsunepixie @ Jul 15 2009, 04:14 PM) *
I regretted the absence of Winry chasing Ed on the beach with a chainsaw, but hopefully they’ll use it later in another episode. In fact, I’m holding on to the hope that they’re saving a lot of the gags and character development scenes that we fans love for later, though I share the anxiety about the new show moving so quickly. Perhaps if I wasn’t such a huge fan of the manga, I wouldn’t be such a stickler.

<Program Note>
@kitsunepixie - Welcome to our board! The rest of your post was moved to Xing Alchemy discussion thread, Please continue discussions on Xingese Alchemy there. smile.gif

OT:
QUOTE (Vagrant @ Jul 15 2009, 04:15 AM) *
OT: By the way, this "rentanjutsu"? What's the official translation there? Just Xingese alchemy or...?

@Vagrant - So far, the reference to Rentanjitsu came up briefly only once on episode 2 as "Alkahest" and we had a brief discussion at that time, but, let's wait till the official English sub for this chapter to be out on Funimation.com on Thursday, which is tomorrow, and then we will probably all know how it would be called in English for FMA:B anime officially. smile.gif

BTW, reminder:
Anyone who would like to go into deeper discussions on Xingese Alchemy, please go to Xing Alchemy discussion thread. smile.gif

==============

~ Now please resume discussions on the contents of episode 15. biggrin.gif
Serb Alchemist
Great episode... Best so far... At last, some action... I waited for TMD-ASU subtitles, and I wasn't wrong... Great job... wink.gif
I loved the fight with Fuu and Ran-Fan...
At last... Al performed alchemy by just clapping his hands... wink.gif Can't wait for ep. 16 wink.gif
Kirara
Oh look the Eclipse subs are out. But at this point I think I am just gong to wait for the Funi ones tomorrow. happy.gif
Kale Mustang
How interesting it took Eclipse that long to come out with their subs...ah well, Funi's are tomorrow, and I'm much happier with those.
ShadowCat17
TMD-ASU translated the "rantanjutsu" as "alchestry" or something to that nature. seems like a good translation to me but we'll see what funimation does.
penguintruth
I'm not huge on the Xingese characters. They've always felt just a little out of place in Fullmetal Alchemist. They're more like souped up Naruto characters to me, and Naruto is mindless action, whereas FMA is dramatic and a bit more mature and complex than the average shonen manga, even though it includes the sort of "plot device action" you see in some others. Not to mention, Ling especially, becomes a bit of a spotlight stealer, without having anything worthwhile going for him that the other characters don't already have. Most of the time, I just think of him as a more level-headed Edward. Still, they do bring a lot of interesting action to the table, so I'm looking forward to more combat.

For some reason, I didn't believe the Joliot Comanche fight as much as I did in the manga. I guess animated, I can see right away how silly it was. The guy's spinning around like a top, like something in a lesser shonen title. Come on, I can only suspend my belief so much during an action sequence. At least he died right away. I guess they put this earlier on in the show than in the manga because they wanted to keep Scar relevant, the same with him meeting May so soon.

Another thing that bothered me is that, especially during the fight with Edward and Ranfan, the music was so inappropriate for a fight scene. It felt like that piece should be used during dramatic revelations or in the background at the end of the program when a character is about to go do something dangerous or evil. It's really not "fight music". And it wouldn't kill Bones to ask for a new piece of music now and then from the person in charge of the music.

What I did like was the little geography lesson we got, which really helped establish the world of FMA. If the Xingese characters do one thing right, it's helping to expand the world the story takes place in. That was an issue with the first series, that everything felt so isolated, you only ever got a reference to another country once, and I don't think anyone ever even said "Amestris" once when referring to the country it was taking place in. This is where Arakawa's work shines, in establishing a setting.

I welcome the new voices to the mix. I thought they all fit well. Mr. Garfiel even sounded like I expected.
FMAobsessed
I liked how Ling, Ranfan, Fuu, May, and Garfield sounded. I think that Miyano Mamoru (sp?) is a good fit for Ling. He seems to have a good range. He has played characters like Tamaki from Ouran, to Light from Death Note. So I think he can be serious Ling and fun Ling.

I did like the episode. The fight scenes were very accurate to the manga. But I was disappointed that the Roy jealousy scene was cut. Also they should have shown Roy ordering Falman to watch Barry.

I don't know why but I liked this Yoki quote about Scar's name. "You must have a pretty name." Makes me wonder if Scar's name will ever be revealed.

Also liked the new opening and ending sequences.
Red Shrimp
Even though some parts have been missing in this episode (and the previous) Bones still manage to come up with an alternative. Like the part where Ling shakes his body and tells the people of Rush Valley that he doesn't understand what they're talking about [LOL part]. Although I think it could had been better if they added the part, base from the manga, on how Ed managed to make that trap and how May/Mei entered the story. It seems kind of off when she was suddenly introduced and she knows a certain Edward Elric--- but of course, FMA:B didn't have the Coal Mine part in the previous episodes, I think it was only mentioned by Roy Mustang as part of a report (?)

Xiamese VAs are cool.

spoiler
I wonder how Miyano will be able to voice for when Ling and Greed merges.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.