Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 14: Those Who Lurk Underground - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 5. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 14 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 14 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode

* HD Screen caps of this episode to be posted on this link address sometime later

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, with tentative episode title till we see official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 14: "Those Who Lurk Underground"
Ed's fight against Greed gets a new help when Izumi bursts in the scene. But, soon after the whole situation changes when the military soldiers lead by King Bradley himself brake in to exterminate Greed and his company. Greed grabs Al and tries to escape, but Bradley stands in their way, blocking Greed's escape, and overwhelms Greed with his fierce attacks despite Greed being homunculus. During the fight, Greed discovers an unbelievable mark on Bradley's eye...

Reminder:
For those who had seen the first series of FMA anime, and/or read FMA manga, you can probably guess what's coming in spme future episodes. HOWEVER, please remember that there are some who have not seen FMA-1, nor read manga. I know many of you would like to talk about the upcoming events and story lines. If you do, please USE PROPER SPOILERS, so that those who have no idea for the future story would not be spoiled. THANK YOU!!! smile.gif

=======================================

Episode Summary: (To be filled)

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes, to be filled)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
penguintruth
Initial impressions:

- HUGE improvement from the last episode
- Bradley and Armstrong appeared out of nowhere, but t hardly mattered
- Some (mostly) well-animated brutality helped the episode along
- Scene where Alphonse remembers seeing the Truth is creepy, well done
- Poor Martel... the first series let her stay around for a while! ;_;
- Extra scene with Bradley visiting Izumi was weird. Get away from her, you monster!
- Greed's demise was certainly well handled, but forgive me for continuing to prefer his death in the first series
- BIG SLOTH! So... tiresome... to work up... enthusiasm...
- FATHER!!! Somehow I expected him to sound a tad different, though. I wonder who voices him.
- SELIM! So adorable.

Next episode: My least favorite character in anything ever, Ling, comes in. Gurgh, he fills me with rage, I hate him so much.

Anyway, the episode pacified me for now. More detailed thoughts later.
thunderbreak
OT:

where do u watch them.so fast?(i didnt get to watch until i think 2morow)
penguintruth
OT:

QUOTE (thunderbreak @ Jul 5 2009, 04:37 AM) *
where do u watch them.so fast?(i dont got to watch until i think 2morow)

Japanese television streaming on the interweb. Come for the FMA, stay for the wacky Japanese commercials.
Tombow
<Program Note>

Thanks, penguintruth! Yap, those commercials are interesting! tongue.gif

QUOTE (thunderbreak @ Jul 5 2009, 04:37 AM) *
where do u watch them.so fast?(i didnt get to watch until i think 2morow)

@thunderbreak - We have an info thread to help finding out how/where to watch the series. Please check out the streaming info and other viewing info for the FMA:Brother hood anime on Where/how to watch FMA:Brotherhood anime thread (the compilation of the info is on the first post of the thread.) smile.gif
edo little kid
Initial impressions of ep 14:

-the fights is Wooow perfect & awesome !!!!!
-Woow Bradly is too Strong !!
-Yaaay Ed in new clothes
-the part of Alphonse & the Truth is wonderful.
-Greed T____T Noooo.
-Martel death is not that good.
- don't like Father voice >.< .
- Looool , Envy is Coooool !

generally excellent , scary episode with a lot of bloods !!
-^__^-

Next episode:
Wooooooooow I really can't wait new OP/En songs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kkg22104
Screenshots from R andom Curiosity smile.gif

Again, lots of blood, yay for no censoring. Introduced Sloth, Father, and Selim. Wish I could see the episode now, but I'll have to wait for tomorrow.

Ling's in the preview! penguintruth, are you going to explain your dislike yet?
penguintruth
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jul 5 2009, 09:33 AM) *

As he appears, I'll explain my irritation with the character. I'm too busy enjoying this episode right now.
kkg22104
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Jul 5 2009, 09:45 AM) *
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jul 5 2009, 09:33 AM) *

As he appears, I'll explain my irritation with the character. I'm too busy enjoying this episode right now.

Just curious, do you like any of the other Xingese characters?

On a side note, I bet Royai fans are happy to see that Barry the Chopper seems to be coming back. Cool shot of Riza with her shopping bag laugh.gif
Forsaken Love
a lot was missed out again this episode, but it was certainly a BIG imporvement on lasts week. I liked the scene where Al saw the truth! That was awesome. I thought Greed's death was carried out well too, I'm assuming they got rid of the cross because they will be selling this to America and the manga cross got censored (I think thats just stupid tbh, you gotta be preeeeeeety sensitve to get upset by that little detail) apart from that yayz for no censoring.

Only major critisism, I didn't like Father's voice at all, that was not how I imagined it in the slightest T_T I guess I'll get used to it but meh I don't see how that will suit his flask-honumculus form in the slightest, maybe they'll use a different voice for that? anyways there were a few things that were a bit annoying due to the scene skipping but all in all a pretty exciting ep so im happy, yaaaaaaaaay LING LING LING!!! I can't wait next week to see him happy.gif
Michiyo-
Well, this ep. was better than the previous one, but still not perfect. The pacing was a bit fast in the first 10 minutes, but then it slowed down. The fight scenes were awesome, I liked the animation, the creators did a good job.

I guess I have to wait for the subs to understand the sudden appearance of Bradley and Armstrong before Devil's Nest. It just didn't make sense now.

There were some extra scenes like Roy in Central and Bradley visiting Izumi. But I really missed the Armstrong-Sig friendship.

And we've got to see some new, manga-only material in this ep. I liked the part when Al recovered his memories about the Truth. Greed's death was well-made, too. Oh, and Sloth made his appearance!
However I didn't like Father's voice. It just doesn't suit him, he should have a deeper voice.
Selim's voice was okay. He looked so adorable.

Next week starts the 2nd season! I can't wait for ep. 15 and the new OP/ED!
Alzea
Hmmm, let's start from good things...Fights, yes, epic fight is epic and since something like this managed for me to be epic (well fight is fight but usually -for me- fight is starting to be epic when there are ones of my fav characters in it) so I can't wait for the Lust fight and so...Scene with Al and Truth, wow, I'm speechless...The moment when Martel was screaming when Bradley was killing others, god, it was amazing, I really felt like crying. Selim...Urgh, I hate him, really and his voice...I wonder how his VA is going to play when...Eh, you know, don't you?

From bad things...I don't like Father's voice! Yes, I mean no, it's just wrong~! -.-

Now, the most important thing since I'm royai fangirl, OMIGODBARRYINTHENEXTEPISODE~! Uh, well, I can't wait for that. Yes, kkg22104 is right, I don't know about others but I'm more than happy x] Oh, yes Lin is also going to appear in the next episode plus new OP/ED~!
So~now waiting for the subs.

BTW, why do you keep calling him LING since it should be LIN? I mean this is how it should be translated so...why?
Blux
I personally think this was an awesome episode and Greed's death scene was really cool. Selim was soo adorable!!! I love his voice. Though I never expected Father to have a voice like that...I thought it'd be kinda deeper. Al's flashback thingy was cool too.

Can't wait till the next episode, the new opening and xing characters will appear!!
Broken Chouchou
Comparing with the last two episodes, which were more or less, to put it nicely, crap, this was pretty good. Granted that my japanese skills don't exceed much farther than "konnichiwa" and "domo", but you just get a feel that this episode was better structured storywise, even after only watching the RAW.

As always (almost, ayway), animation was made of pure [All hail lord Xenu]-kicking awesomness. The battle scenes were smooth and fluent, and it's nice to see that they didn't cut back on the gore.

My only complaints after watching the raw would have to be that this whole Greed-arc happened way too fast, a little too fast for me to really get engaged in the events and characters. I feel like there's barely any time for the tension to build up before we reach the peak and everything culminates in something that is supposed to feel completely epic, but don't, for me at least. Its like the big wave washes over you before you've even had time to get excited.

But still, it was a lot better than the previous episode, in which they didn't even get the chronology right, if they intend to follow the manga at least.

And regarding ol' Daddy-o's voice, didn't anyone else notice it was the same VA who's been commentating on the recaps and previews since.. the start of this series? Surprised that no one at least mentioned it.. but maybe it was so obvious that nobody thought there'd be any need to? Then now I'm gonna fel stupid, for sure xD
A little creepy though, if that's how they intend it to be. Having Father narrating the events of the Elric brothers lives, I mean. The old creep D:<

(Oh, and no, I agree with that this voice doesn't suit him. At all.)
Tombow
<Program Note>

I posted the translation of the preview of the next episode form FMA-2: Brotherhood official JP site on FMA:B Future episodes discussion thread. Those who would like to discuss possible contents of the next episode, or from any of the upcoming episodes, please use FMA:B Future episodes discussion thread. smile.gif
Forsaken Love
OT:
QUOTE (Alzea @ Jul 5 2009, 06:30 PM) *
BTW, why do you keep calling him LING since it should be LIN? I mean this is how it should be translated so...why?

Lin is a mistranslation by VIZ which they seem to have corrected I think as some of my fma has it as Lin and others as Ling. Other mistranslations include lan-fan which would be ran-fan (again i have seen both spellings depending on the publication) , 'golden' watch instead of 'silver' and probably others.

^ O.M.G i never noticed that! good observation, and yes that is creepy that father is narating the elrics lives XD but urgh i hate his voice i totally didnt imagin in that way T_T
Tombow
<Program Note>

QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Jul 5 2009, 04:20 PM) *
QUOTE (Alzea @ Jul 5 2009, 06:30 PM) *
BTW, why do you keep calling him LING since it should be LIN? I mean this is how it should be translated so...why

Lin is a mistranslation by VIZ which they seem to have corrected I think as some of my fma has it as Lin and others as Ling. Other mistranslations include lan-fan which would be ran-fan (again i have seen both spellings depending on the publication) , 'golden' watch instead of 'silver' and probably others.

@Forsaken Love - Actually, it's not quite a "mistranslation." The newest official FMA guidebook, FMA Character Guidebook lists Xing characters, Ling, Mei, RanFan, Fuu as "Lin," "May," "Ranfun," and "Who." YES, "Who" as in W.H.O. XDD Yap, that's true!! laugh.gif

ETA: July 6, 2009
UPDATE!!!
Kirara has kindly pointed out that the Character page on official FMA:B JP site now has entries for Xing characters, and their listing says these characters are: Ling Yao, Lan Fan, Fu, May Chang, & Shao May...
Hence, these are the spelling I'm going to use for FMA:B now. biggrin.gif

--------------------------

Reminder:
Also, in case you'd like to discuss any of the VAs in depth, reminder that we have FMA:Brotherhood Japanese VAs discussion thread. biggrin.gif

=============

~ Now please continue discussions on the content of episode 14. biggrin.gif
Alzea
Ah, woow subs are already out~So to the ep~Now I realized that they kind of censored Greed's death...

OT:
Uh, so I thought I mean Polish version of FMA has got a really good translator and he explained to us few times already Xignese names on one of the forum boards so it can't be English' mistranslation xD Ah, well, I kind of get used to the fact that people are calling him Ling xP
Forsaken Love
^ how so? Apart from getting rid of the cross, which as i said before i expect is purely for the reason of selling to America, they didn't un-gore it i dont think
ShadowCat17
This episode rocked. The fuhrer King Bradley, now revealed as Wrath, got to show off how awesome he is. Great fighter and totally merciless to Greed lol. All of the Wrath/Greed interaction was good, and so was the slaying of Loa and Dorochet. Martel's death could have been better though. Greed's death was good too. And geez, Ling and Mei in the preview yes finally it's here! They'll be in the new op for sure
Krokgard
This episode was great. Not excellent, but surely great. It has some good splatter-scenes, and (most of all) it wasn't as fast as the last ones.

OT on Future episodes:
Looking to the few seconds after the ending, i suppose that in the next episode we 'll have:

-Ling & co introduction and fight against Ed and Al
-Mei Chang introduction
-Return of Barry the Chopper
-Scar VS Silver Alchemist

... and i'm very scared that they will speed-up things a lot. I hoped that they would slow down starting from Ling...
Zenoseiya
Ed and Al's dad is the big bad? Who would have thought?
zonkiethegreat
-I have to add that I also preferred Greed's death in the first series! It was just so OPERATIC!!

-I have read the manga, and I am up to date with it. I'm happy that the series is finally departing from the first series storyline!

-I love Envy's eyes in this ep! Can't wait to see his/her true form!

- I WANT MORE ROY please!

- FINALLY! Less ridiculous facial expressions and a little more weight! I liked this episode the most so far!

- EEEkk....Selim.....

-Sloth...UGH.....don't care

OT on Future episodes:
- The characters from Xing are coming!!! HOORAY! I LOVE LING! and Ran Fan. I don't like Mei though, she annoys me.

-I also can't wait for Olivia Armstrong! I wonder how long that will be from now? The series is going REALLY FAST.

OT:
QUOTE (Zenoseiya @ Jul 5 2009, 07:29 PM) *

@Zenoseiya - Actually, NOT REALLY!
Here is the reason: BUT, Read it ONLY if you REALLY want to be spoiled of some MAJOR stoly key-point for this series.
Father is a homunculus and only physical copy of Hohenheim. They have a very very ancient history together! It will all be explained.
Full Metal Elf
This episode was MUCH better than the last one!!

I thought Greed vs. King Bradley was freaking awesome! smile.gif

The whole scene with Al getting his memories back was great too.

OT on Future episodes:
Ling and Mei already!? I really need to check back with the manga now, I didn't realize it was so soon after Greed! But...OMG...Riza and Barry! YES...biggrin.gif biggrin.gif...next episode will be amazing if they don't RUSH it!
HannahBlack09
I totally loved this episode

- The fight that had Bradley and Greed was amazing

- Al's flashback was really really good! Very creepy ohmy.gif

- The extra when Roy was walking towards Bradley office was good

- Martel screaming when the other guys where fighting was really dramatic.. loved it!

- Greed's was amaazing!! I always prefered the one from the manga than the one from the previews anime. Sad that he only appeared in two episodes though sleep.gif

- First appearence of Sloth! ... Good to see that it is following the manga plot.

- Selim was really really cute! ... I'm excited to see how the can turn this whole image of him

On Voice Casting of Father:
What I didnt like was Father's VA.. I did notice that was the narrator.. or at leasts he sounds very similar to the narrator.. I cant imagine the black mass speaking with that voice..

On Future episode:
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay! Ling and co. are so closee!! Just one week! and because I love Royai.. YAAAY!!! BARRY IS ALMOST HERE TOO!! x33 heart.gif
Cant waait for next Sundaay! tongue.gif
Zenoseiya
OT:

QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Jul 5 2009, 06:38 PM) *
Actually, NOT REALLY!
And suddenly the story is not nearly as interesting to me as it could have been. dry.gif
zonkiethegreat
OT:

QUOTE (Zenoseiya @ Jul 5 2009, 08:33 PM) *
QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ Jul 5 2009, 06:38 PM) *
Actually, NOT REALLY!
And suddenly the story is not nearly as interesting to me as it could have been. dry.gif

Trust me, the manga is VERY GOOD! You will not be disappointed! The storyline is still developing in the series.
ShadowCat17
OT:
Use spoiler tags people!

Better for new viewers not to see the "not really" and the bit about turning around the image of Selim.

Moderator chiming in, because I think there is some SERIOUS issue to be reminded here .....

I completely agree with ShadowCat17.
Farther more, if the part is containing some MAJOR key point for the story-line for this series, then please add EXTRA WARNING telling so, so that the reader can make an informed choice.

See the example of how I edited some part of the posts on this thread, although I learned that it was too late for one reader and I apologize for this reader for getting spoiled of this fact... Just for this, please assume this was some case where it was absolutely necessary to post this spoiler content.

BEFORE editing:

Actually, NOT REALLY!
Here is the reason: Father is a homunculus and only physical copy of Hohenheim. They have a very very ancient history together! It will all be explained.
(Intentionally omitted the quote sorurce for this post as that is not important in this instance)

AFTER editing:

@Zenoseiya - Actually, NOT REALLY!
Here is the reason: BUT, Read it ONLY if you REALLY want to be spoiled of some MAJOR stoly key-point for this series.
Father is a homunculus and only physical copy of Hohenheim. They have a very very ancient history together! It will all be explained.
(Intentionally omitted the quote source for this post as that is not important in this instance)

* Better yet, unless it is necessary to include that content for your discussion and therefore it is necessary to cover up that part with the spoiler tag, if all you are showing is "I know something you don't know," then please fight your urge to post that "unnecessary" spoiler.

* ESPECIALLY, if it is MAJOR key-point for the storyline for this series, please try NOT to post these content AT ALL.

I highly appreciate your guys' help on this. Thank you. smile.gif
~ Tombow
Kirara
I thought this episode was great and such an improvement over episode 13 it's not even funny.

On Voice Casting:
I didn't really like Father's voice but I loved Selim's. smile.gif

OT on posting Unnecessary SPOILER:
I agree with Tombow. You know guys unless people ask to be spoiled you don't have to tell them "not really". Let them find out for themselves.
Jen_Elric
Wow, I just LOVED this episode! Such a great improvement from the last one!
I loved the fight scene between Greed and Bradley! So cool, yet so bloody!XD It's great that it wasn't edited.
Poor Martel and the others. I almost started crying when she was slain, but what stopped me was AL seeing the Truth! I loved when he got his memories back! It was an intense scene, just like it was for Ed back in episode 2.
Seeing Sloth, Selim and Father was great.
I liked the interaction between Greed and Envy.
Greed's death was well done!

On Voice Casting for Father and Selim:
Loved Selim's voice! But I didn't like Father's. Someone here said he's the narrator, and he is! He sounds exactly like him! Father's voice should be slightly deeper.

On Future episode:
I absolutly can't WAIT til next week! LING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So many things I can't wait for!
Radadinator
After last week's episode, I'm pretty sure that almost anything would have been great in comparison, but luckily, this episode already kicked arse anyways. Visuals were even better than usual, and it's good to see that they didn't skimp out on the gore. (Did Dorochet actually get sliced in half?)

Al's scene with the Truth was great, and pretty creepy, but that's how I like it.
There was actually a part where Bradley's fighting was freaking insane. It was awesome. biggrin.gif

I liked the part with Bradley visiting Izumi and Armstrong advising Ed not to be reckless?, it covers up all of the loose details and their unexplained entrance hardly even matters now.

I think that at the very end with Bradley's family, it was meant to be sort of...uh...ironic? that it's such a sweet family scene, and they have no idea what Bradley is, but all I'm thinking about is how goddamn creepy Selim is and how cutely he's portrayed here. So it's like triple, er, double irony. Blargh, ignore this, I'm confusing myself.

On Voice Casting for Father:
I'm gonna be alone in saying this, but I don't mind Father's voice. I don't think a very deep or menacing voice suits him, since he always reminded me of the behind-the-scenes villain who partakes in evil cocktail parties and sips wine, and never really struck me as evil.
Overall, brilliant episode. I think I trust the director now, but I'll have to wait and see how the pacing of the second season is.

On upcoming episode:
Eh, Ling's not somebody I care about, and Mei's annoying, but damn. Chinese people are always cool.
kkg22104
QUOTE (Radadinator @ Jul 5 2009, 10:35 PM) *
(Did Dorochet actually get sliced in half?).

*checks manga* Um, not sure...here's the page where Dorochet dies. It's not really clear where he was cut but obviously Wrath/Bradley killed him.

About Selim...
but all I'm thinking about is how goddamn creepy Selim is and how cutely he's portrayed here. So it's like triple, er, double irony. Blargh, ignore this, I'm confusing myself..

Yeah, I get what you mean by "ironic," especially the last sentence.

I'm gonna be alone in saying this, but I don't mind Father's voice. I don't think a very deep or menacing voice suits him, since he always reminded me of the behind-the-scenes villain who partakes in evil cocktail parties and sips wine, and never really struck me as evil.

Hey, you're not alone, Father's voice doesn't bother me either. I think it's fine the way it is.

OT:
Eh, Ling's not somebody I care about, and Mei's annoying, but damn. Chinese people are always cool.

Yay for Chinese people biggrin.gif (I'm from China lol)
Nikolye
This episode definitely made up for the last one. The animation was incredible, especially the fight scenes.

I'm glad that they covered up the stuff they skipped from the manga in the last episode.

And OMG, I freaked when Selim came running up to Bradley with his cute little voice. How can he be so cute AND evil?!
blowup.gif

I don't mind father's voice either, but I did expect it to have a bit more...I dunno, god-like judgment ring to it?
Vagrant
I was kind of unimpressed. I never found myself gripped, entertained, moved or laughing. I at least expected some kind of "woah!" moment considering Greed versus Wrath...But no. It was all just...Stuff.
A lot of it seems to stem from the last episode and it means that this entire thing just didn't flow right...

As per usual, I haven't reread the manga version yet, so I imagine I'll end up liking this episode slightly more or absolutely hating it when I do.

Bullet points!
-Armstrong versus Roa was actually pretty good though. Well animated and brutal.
-Art looked solid, but at times seemed too static again. And Greed's bobblehead bit was just...Bizarre.
-Was Wrath that well built in the manga?
-Nice to see Sloth.
-Didn't care for Father's voice.
-They pussied out with Greed's crucifiction? Really? That whole scene just seemed totally un-epic compared to my recollections of the manga, generally.
-White room. Very white room.
-The music is good but it seemed like they forgot to put it in a few scenes.
-All the homonculi in one episode?
-Next week on Fullmetal Alchemist: Ninjas, a tiny panda and Liiiiiiiing! ;D
penguintruth
Heh, all seven homunculi in one episode!

Some further comments:

I really thought the action was pretty amazing in the episode, especially anyting Fuhrer Bradley did, even when he was just talking. They pumped up the animation any time Bradley did anything. And the VA for him is still strong as ever, if not better than when he played the role in the first series. I thought it was pretty amusing in that added scene with him and Izumi that we had two returning VAs discussing something again.

It was weird having Bradley and Armstrong just sort of showing up, because of the Fuhrer supposedly conducting an inspection. How could he have even known about Greed's wherabouts? That's sort of weak. I also think they made Greed out to be a little pathetic, escaping because he was teamed up on by Ed and Izumi, instead of being inconvenienced with the military's presence, like in the manga, and deciding it wasn't worth continuing. And then, ultimately, Izumi's presence proved meaningless, too.

I have to congratulate Yuuichi Nakamura's performance, though. He really was an excellent Greed, even matching Junichi Suwabe at times.

I think that, overall, I'm a bit disappointed that the Dublith/Greed arc was three episodes when it probably should have been four or five, but at least this episode capped it fairly decently.

OT: on Voice Casting of Father's Voice
Father's voice sounded a tad feeble and wavery, when I expected it to be a little more deep and dry. He is voiced by Iemasa Kayumi, who played Chief Chujo in the Giant Robo OVA, so I know he's capble of good work. I'll keep listening to see if he meets my expectations this time around.

Imbris
It was a great episode. Completely action-packed with some really neat choreography. Seeing so much new content from the first series is really exciting as well! Unfortunately, this will have to be my last post in these episode threads. I've only read the manga through October - stopped so I could increase my excitement in the anime when it gets to that point, but a lot of people here are accidentally posting huge spoilers... See you guys around the rest of the forum! Can't wait til next week's episode. smile.gif
Tombow
<Program Note>

QUOTE (thunderbreak @ Jul 6 2009, 01:48 AM) *
I havent finish watching yet,but i think father's voice
is voiced by whoever who voice honeiheim.btw he's voiced by Iemasa Kayumi .
anyway i did not recognise that he's the one who voice the previews.

@thunderbreak - I noved your post to FMA:B Voice Cast discussion thread.

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Jul 6 2009, 02:32 PM) *
QUOTE (thunderbreak @ Jul 5 2009, 11:48 PM) *
I havent finish watching yet,but i think father's voice
is voiced by whoever who voice honeiheim.btw he's voiced by Iemasa Kayumi.

Oh... So Hoho and Daddy-o will have the same VA? Logically it makes sense of course, seeing as [spoiler for those who haven't reached chapter 74 (?) yet, even though you should have been able to figure this out on your own] Daddy-o's body is a replica of Hohenheims. Just hope this Iemasa guy is good a performer enough to make the voices differ; however much you'd think that this voice doesn't suit Father, if he would be to use that exact same voice for Hohenheim, it'd be a disaster. He better make him sound different, and a lot less old-ish. But yet, despite all that I just said, you should still be able to hear just a tiny hint of resemblance...

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Jul 6 2009, 01:11 AM) *
I have to congratulate Yuuichi Nakamura's performance, though. He really was an excellent Greed, even matching Junichi Suwabe at times.

A(greed!) on that one. Too bad he only got two eps of screentime sad.gif

Father's voice sounded a tad feeble and wavery, when I expected it to be a little more deep and dry. He is voiced by Iemasa Kayumi, who played Chief Chujo in the Giant Robo OVA, so I know he's capble of good work. I'll keep listening to see if he meets my expectations this time around.

Good to hear he isn't just a curious old guy they hired due to budget issues. I do suppose I'll get used to his voice eventually, it's not like you can complain on a bad performance or anything. I just didn't feel that creepiness I so much associate with Father.

But this could mean, if Hohenheim's voice turns out to sound exactly like Father's, that my creepy theory about Father Creep being the one creep-narrating the events of the brother's lives is most likely wrong. It'd be more family freindly, with the absence of all the scary creepiness that is Father, to have the brother's genuine dad be the narrator.

@Broken Chouchou - I moved your nice discussion post on these VAs in FMA:B to FMA:B Voice Cast discussion thread.
Please continue this discussions on FMA:Bs VAs there. smile.gif

======================

~ Now please resume discussions on the content of episode 14 biggrin.gif
Broken Chouchou
OT:

QUOTE (Tombow @ Jul 6 2009, 11:39 AM) *
@Broken Chouchou - I moved your nice discussion post on these VAs in FMA:B to FMA:B Voice Cast discussion thread.
Please continue this discussions on FMA:Bs VAs there. smile.gif

Ok. Sorry for going off topic.
Tombow
<Program Note>

@Broken Chouchou - No problem! ^^

==================

Here is a handy REMINDER to everyone: smile.gif

* If you'd like to comment on some VAs' performance in this particular episode, then this would be a good thread to post and comment on that.

* If you wold like to discuss about Voice Casting of certain VAs in FMA: Brotherhood series. then the best place to post your discussion is FMA:B Voice Cast discussion thread.

==================

~ Now please resume discussions on the content of episode 14 biggrin.gif
thunderbreak
since i am watching the series with a first timer,i am not that focused on the series cos need 2 do explaining,anyway:
-as others says,king bradley scene is awesome.i never imagine his sword skills would be that fast
-greed,envy has great VA.that laughter from greed is great
-wasnt really pissed of by absence of armstrong n sig scene.
-compact,n bit of surprise on first scene ie mustang scene.good way to say bradley in south
-i am glad that they include each description of the members of homoculi,especially on envy "weird fashion sense"

foe next ep:
-for hawkeye scene i think it may serve as a cliffhanger at end of next ep

btw
-next time i wont spoil my self to early sad.gif -spoil my viewing pleasure quite a bit
Vagrant
Manga did it waaaay better. Like I can't even believe. Although a lot of it links into how bad they messed up last weeks. You know, giving the chimeras some personality kinda helps. Dolchet (or however it's officially translated, I've seen about ten variations on this) and Roa had some extra scenes which gave them characterisation, action AND a chance to see more of Wrath.
Plus his scene with Armstrong was better. And the scene with soldiers surrounding Ed seemed to make more sense in the manga.

Wrath having sixpack abs visible through a black t-shirt is just nonsensical and weird.
And the blood 'splosion from Martel was way too exaggerated in the anime.

Manga ended the fight between Ed and Greed much better too.

It looked like they did it fairly accurately, but somehow it still felt like Greed's end should have been more epic. That said, I don't like the scene reshuffling either.
This is the part where the anime should be following the manga exactly and they're managing to mess it up. It is worrying.

Tombow
<Program Note>

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Jul 6 2009, 10:19 PM) *
QUOTE (Zenoseiya @ Jul 6 2009, 09:42 PM) *
this new series sucks just as bad as the first attempt. Cheers!

Since the first series didn't suck at all, you must really enjoy this one, then.

@Zenoseiya and penguintruth I moved your posts to Series 1 vs series 2 (FMA: Brotherhood) discussion thread since that discussion is not directly pertaining to the content of this episode.

QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Jul 7 2009, 05:55 AM) *
Tbh I'm preeeeeeeeety worried, they covered about 30chapters in 14 episodes, thats a third of the manga practically, if they don't slow down a hell of a lot and add in the stuff they missed they WILL inevitably catch up to the manga, unless the mangas gonna stop at chapter 100 or somethin O_o

@Forsaken Love and kkg22104 I moved your posts with the above quoted discussions to Future episode discussion thread.

OT:
Hmmm... this episode must be REALLY boring and devoid of contents to discuss about.
(I couldn't get the Key-hole TV streaming, and I'm waiting for the official sub on Funimation.com to be up on Thursday.) What I read so far is mostly Voice Casting discussions for Father and Selim, and comments on Future episodes. I'm now highly curious to find out if this episode is really that much devoid of contents to discuss. tongue.gif

Anyway... I'd really like to reduce the incidents of moving posts from this thread to other discussion threads, so...

=================

REMINDER:

IF your Voice Casting discussion is about the certain VA's voice acting in this episode, then this is the good thread to post and comment on that.

IF you are posting comments on Voice Casting of some character for this series, then the good place to post that is on FMA: Brotherhood Voice Casting discussion thread.

IF you want to comment on the possible content and/or appearance of certain characters in the future episode, then good place to post that is on Future episode discussion thread.

=============-

~ Thank you, and now please please post some REAL discussions or comments on content of THIS EPISODE. biggrin.gif
Animeoldtimer
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. But then again I'm not picky. I have the tendency to fill in the blanks of the missing material. I liked the Greed/Bradley fight. I think they did a good job with it. I also liked the scene where Al gets his memory back. To me scenes like those are the ones that are especially important to see come alive in the anime.
Full Metal Elf
QUOTE (Vagrant @ Jul 6 2009, 09:29 PM) *
Manga did it waaaay better. Like I can't even believe.

I agree...that manga did it WAY better.

I still enjoyed the episode, especially after last week's mess-up.

I seriously don't understand how it is SO hard to adapt manga to anime. Bleach and Naruto do it all the time and pull it off fairly well! lol

if they screw-up the anime from Ling/Mei on, I'll be pissed mad.gif
Hagaren_4ever
Okay, I've been out of town and JUST now got to see it, so here are my thoughts:

On Father's voice

I was a bit suprised that that was how it sounded, but I didn't mind so much, because I thought... "maybe he has the same voice actor as Van Hohenheim?" think about it. It may suit Hohenheim, but not father.

On the animation

They didn't hold back at all, that's for sure. In fact, I think this may have actually been MORE violent than the original. I mean, I don't mind violence or anything, but I think they definatly added some gore.

On the timing

Wow. SO much better than last weeks. Now if they made every episode from now on like this, I would be happy. But they're gonna cover pretty much all of volume 8 in the next episode, so.... the timing is gonna SUUUUCCK. There is a LOT in the battle with Ling's dudes.

Overall

I loved it. The slaughter scene with Martel was done beautifully, and I didn't mind how they had Greed escape. I thought it was done a little weird how he escaped in the original, quite frankly. I mean, Ed just kinda stood there like... "WTF just happened?" But with Izumi in the picture, he actually has an excuse to stay behind. And Pride/Fuhrer talking to Izumi in her sick bed wasn't a bad add in either.
Forsaken Love
^in the original Ed didn't stay behind for no reason, he tried to go after Greed but was restrained by the soldiers
Hagaren_4ever
^Well, here's the page.
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/29/35/

I just thought it was a bit weird that Greed was so agile, and quick, and Ed has a bit of a delayed reaction, as seen on the next page. But this way, Ed HAD to stay behind and Greed had no need to. And that's what I like about it.
penguintruth
^ See, that's what bothered me about this episode, actually.

In the manga, Greed gets out of there because the military came in, but in episode 14 it looks like he's too afraid to take on Ed and Izumi. This makes Greed seem weak, on top of his easy beating in the previous episode.

Otherwise, it was an excellent episode.
Forsaken Love
^ agree with penguin this annoied me too, i thought that izumi laying a hit on him in the previous ep and him running away from them in the 2nd really mucked with his characterization
Sannom
QUOTE ("penguintruth")
In the manga, Greed gets out of there because the military came in, but in episode 14 it looks like he's too afraid to take on Ed and Izumi. This makes Greed seem weak, on top of his easy beating in the previous episode.

I thought there was no doubt about this : Greed IS weak laugh.gif Against skilled people like Ed, Izumi or Bradley, he doesn't stand a chance. All he has for him is the shield and the regeneration, and frankly we know this is not enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.