Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 11: Miracle At Rush Valley - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 4. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 11 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 11 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode

* HD Screen caps of this episode to be posted on this link address later

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, episode title is from official sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 11: "Miracle at Rush Valley"
To realize Winry's long-time dream, Ed and Al take Winry to visit Rush Valley, a place considered as a mecca by automail mechanics. But, as soon as they arrive there, Ed's State Alchemist's watch gets stolen by a girl with automails for both of her legs. Eventually, they meet the girl who stole Ed's watch, Paninya, the mechanic who created her automails, Dominique, and his family. Seeing his superior skills as an automail mechanic, Winry asks Dominique to take her in as his apprentice. Meantime, Dominique's son's pregnant wife, Satilla, starts her labor....

Reminder:
For those who had seen the first series of FMA anime, and/or read FMA manga, you can probably guess what's coming next. HOWEVER, please remember that there are some who have not seen FMA-1, nor read managa. I know many of you would like to talk about "the upcoming episode." If you do, please USE PROPER SPOILERS, so that those who have no idea for the future story would not be spoiled. THANK YOU!!! smile.gif

=======================================

Episode Summary: (To be filled)

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes, to be filled)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
amestris_star
They skipped the Paninya - Ed chasing scene in the first part of the episode, but then they compensated it with the beautiful 'giving birth to the baby' scene... really, it was touching. Especially at how realistic they managed to do it. And the Ed-Winry scenes were so cute.
As much as I thought I wouldn't have enjoyed the Rush Valley ep that much, they proved me wrong tongue.gif
penguintruth
Initial thoughts:

- Well... uh... that was... fast. Jeez, I never liked the Rush Valley chapters, but I actually found myself going, "Uh, what the hell? The're really going to go at this that fast?" I almost felt bad for being happy all week this arc was only going to take one episode!

- One of the reasons I thought the Rush Valley chapters were awful was because the fight with Edward and Paninya went on a lot longer than it should have. Here? Not long enough! Am I too difficult to please? Maybe.

- They saved all the great animation for this episode? Really? Why?

- At least the Winry delivery portion was kept pretty well intact.

- Greed on a wanted poster! Awesome.

I foresee much rage on this episode, given its hasty treatment of Rush Valley. I, on the other hand, couldn't care less, since Izumi is next and Greed is soon.
amestris_star
Some screenshots from the curious Curiosity blog:

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/06/14...brotherhood-11/
Kasumisty
Darn. That was an example of the WORST PACED EPISODE all the time. They've cut SO MUCH. Not one scene, not two, but several! Most events didn't make sense at all, because they're placed so randomly. The arm-wrestling scene, the collector's shop, the battle at the roofs of Rush Valley - why didn't they kept it and instead made one, chaotic episode that can't be logically understood! Even the important scene with fallen bridge! Come on! Character developement was here! The birth scene was allright though, a lot of drama here....The animation was allright as well, but they did a lot of SD, and not from manga what's more.

Damn! Why did they return to alchemy introduction and summaries?! They're completely UNECCESSARY!

Ehm...ok, as I said. This was bad. Very bad. Even if it had some fine and cute scenes (Al and Ed hugging each other from fear and touching the belly, ftw), nothing can fix what the creators have done with it. I give if 3/10. "Such a shame" -Kimblee

And they keep playing the same background themes sleep.gif
amestris_star
In fact they totally could have skipped the alchemy intro and the summary of the previous ep at the beginning, and fitted in something else.
penguintruth
They also almost ruined the scene with Winry crying "because you two won't cry!" with that awful instrumental version of that one piece.

Or as I've called it, the "Italian resteraunt" track. It's hard to take Winry seriously when it sounds like she should be asking for the pesto.
Kirara
I haven't watched it yet but they skipped the bridge scene? Not Happy! dry.gif

Of course I won't judge the rest of the episode until I actually see it but that definitely will remove some points for me.
Zii
Why did they leave out so much of the content? ;A; I really hope they cut it out (ahaha) by the time we get to the really new stuff... basically everything including/after Greed, I think. If they keep going with this pacing they will ruin it.
I'm just bitter because I wanted to see the arm wrestle scene again. ;D
amestris_star
QUOTE (Zii @ Jun 14 2009, 01:53 PM) *
Why did they leave out so much of the content? ;A; I really hope they cut it out (ahaha) by the time we get to the really new stuff... basically everything including/after Greed, I think. If they keep going with this pacing they will ruin it.
I'm just bitter because I wanted to see the arm wrestle scene again. ;D

They're rushing this part, I suppose, on purpose to get to the new stuff asap... we knew that these would have been rushed as soon as we saw the episode titles of the forthcoming eps.

I will be in rage mode only if they mess/rush up the newly animated stuff.
Chiyo
I guessed they would be cuttung out a fair deal. If they'd done two episodes it would have dragged it out too much. As long as they have the key moments that will be referred to later, i.e The Winry/Scar/gun moment where Ed mentions her helping deliver a baby. It's a shame to skop these moments out but they couldn't have squeezed all of them in and they aren't important enough to eat up two episodes.

In saying that I haven't seen it yet, I just don't mind about reading the episode before I see it. The screencaps look good though, a lighter episode in comparison to the one before.
Hagaren_4ever
Wow. Just looking at the sceencaps, I can tell that this is gonna be an BEAUTIFUL episode in HD. biggrin.gif
Kyelinn
OMG screencaps are AMAZING!! I can't wait to see this episode! And they didn't keep out the EdxWin scenes! HOORAY!!! <333
Hagaren_4ever
This is the first time in FMA that I've actually wondered, "How on earth are they going to traslate that if it's released dubbed in America?

Ed: *panting* O.... ma....
Winry: *horse crawls across the screen* Oma?

I wonder what they're gonna do? Any thoughts? :/
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
wow the screenshots are so cool. so can't wait ontill eclipse puts up the subbed version of the ep so i can download it.
Kasumisty
I don't know what he said in English, but I'm sure good translators will come up with something. Similiar line happened in manga
Claudius
The birth in the manga is a diamond, but I think Anime1's adaptation of the birth being Elysia Hughes' is an emerald. That is, each has their value. The strengths of Anime1's birth:
-It cemented the Brothers' (and the viewers') relationship with Hughes. It also gave some time for Nina Tucker.
-It provided the only Maes-Gracia moments in the entire series before Elysia got all the attention. In the scene where the Brothers meet Gracia, I can't help thinking that Hughes' blush had something to do with 'Yes, I'm a real love machine!'
-One nice thing of having Elysia's birth set before the Brothers Elric's four-year journey: Unlike her 3-year-old manga counterpart, the 4-year-old-Anime1Elysia had an extra year with daddy...
Hagaren_4ever
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Jun 14 2009, 01:21 PM) *
I don't know what he said in English, but I'm sure good translators will come up with something. Similiar line happened in manga

Really? When? ohmy.gif
Kasumisty
I don't have proper scan (only fan translation that isn't accurate), but Satera says this in one point of that chapter.
ShadowCat17
The "uma" scene reminded me of FMA1 in episode 6 when Gracia fell down and Hughes thought she said "uma" lol
Hagaren_4ever
Ah! I didn' watch the subbed episodes, I watched the dubbed episodes on Adult Swim every Saturday, so I didn't realzie that the joke had been used before! ohmy.gif
ShadowCat17
yeah, it's hilarious though.

Also I didn't recognize the music during the brief paninya flashback, was that a new piece?

EdxWin for the win in this episode

Also is it my imagination or were Winry and Pinako not present with the Elrics when they were watching their house burn down in either the manga or FMA1?
Sannom
Winry and Pinako are present in the manga when they burn their house (Winry cried and when she said why, Ed said that she always cried too much... jerk) wink.gif I don't remember for the first anime.
Trakonda
I agree that this episode was a bit too fast-paced (again) but then again.. the scenes that WERE left, were made of pure win. XD I loved to have some good old manga-humor after depressing ep 10. The animation was fluent, the expressions were great, and.. personally, I love the music used on all the scenes.

One thing DID bug me the whole time: the whole "Winry opening Ed's watch" came out WAY too fast. It just felt like as if she was looking at the carved text inside the pocket watch for 5 seconds, giving a shrug, "ah.. okay".. then leaving it off there. The emotion.. it just wasn't there! D:

But apart from that, I really liked this episode. \o/
penguintruth
It's funny any of you have faith that Funimation will come up with a good translation for that joke.

We're talking about the same people who brought you lines like, "Smellric Brothers" and "Come give mommy a hug, my Prince of Cool."

They'd be better off acting like it wasn't there at all.
Kyelinn
Does anybody know if the subbed version has been released yet and if so could you PM me a link? Thanks. smile.gif
SneakyRuler
Don't know why but the episode kind of made sense, if you forgot about manga. However I felt like an outside observer, not caring... until Winry started to give orders and took care of the delivery. The Edward/Winry scence were gentle and touching, loved them all.

Loved the poster on the wall, showing wanted villains tongue.gif

I don't usually complain about character's appearance, but I was distracted a lot by Paninya's design. Was she really supposed to have such big breasts? I know it's a little stupid to point to something like that, especially in an anime, but the dissproportion of her body made me uneasy...

Look forward to next episode, it was a shame they came back with the introduction but it was necessary to say that in case somebody hadn't been watching a character is missing.
Sword Alchemist
I have to say that the this Rush Valley episode was much better than the first anime's Rush Valley. Even Paninya wasn't quite as annoying.

Was it just me or did Winry's hair keep changing lengths?

That pregnant lady kind of looked a little like Maria Ross in a way.
Full Metal Elf
I really enjoyed this episode! Rush Valley isn't my favorite part of the manga, so I'm glad it was done in one episode. I think all the important aspects were covered and Winry is so much better in this anime than the last one already.

I'm more anxious for next week to see Izumi finally!! smile.gif Then Greed...biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
kkg22104
I just watched the subbed version. Um, can't say I'm too pleased with the first half of the episode. Ed and Paninya's fight was way too short, and I miss the arm wrestling scene! Everything was way too short, it was like they skimmed over it. They should've gotten rid of the intro and summary to make room for more important stuff, like the bridge scene. The second half got a little better though, hurray for EdxWin! smile.gif

Oh, and did anyone think Winry was freakishly skinny in this episode? And they had a close up of her eye when she was crying and her earrings were blue, but I thought they were supposed to be silver... unsure.gif
Jen_Elric
Well, despite being a little disappointed that they cut some stuff out, this episode was not too bad!
I wish they kept the arm wrestling part, cuz I love it in the manga. They instead showed it for one second in the beginning.
Some people said it was too fast paced, and I have to kinda agree. At one point, I was like,"whoa! SLow down!", but that was in the middle. After that, it seemed fine.
The manga humor, at one point, was too much. Too silly. But I did love the part when Ed finds out that he could grow taller with lighter automail. The fantasy he has was soo funny! Al's mouth moved when he said, "You're so tall, big brother!". XD
Winry was awesome in the episode! I LOVE how she took total control of the situation.
The EdXWin moments (especially when he picked her up *kya!*) was so lovely. Though, it was mean that he dropped her on her butt.XD

YAY!! IZUMI NEXT EPISODE!!!!!! I LOVE HER!!!! *estatic*
Animeoldtimer
I understand why they cut out the arm wrestling scene, but I wish they hadn't. The could have shortened the title sequence and the number of times Winry touched Paninya's legs. tongue.gif

Also, the "Italian restaurant" music has got to go. I loved the scene and I normally like the new soundtrack for this show, but this time it just didn't quite fit.

Overall, I liked the episode, but it did feel rushed.

I loved Ed's fantasy!
penguintruth
Impression after seeing it again, subtitled:

Still not a great episode, I never really liked the Rush Valley material. Better than the Rush Valley episode of the first series, though I preferred the watch and birth incidents' utilization in the first series, even if the former made a bit more sense here. One of the bits I wish that they had kept from the manga was the bridge incident, but they sort of cover it with Ed still feeling powerless during the birth. The birth was a little bit melodramatic, I might add, but most of the happenings surrounding it were pretty well handled. I'm not a huge Winry fan, but her telling Paninya about working hard to pay off Dominic's good faith was a great moment.

One episode was probably enough for this, though, and I'm glad they're getting to Izumi next.
edo little kid
I love this episode ^.^/
EdxWin nice.
Hahahaha~ Ed so funny , he want to be that tall !!!!??? XD
really enjoyable episode , I just wait the sub now ^^
Krokgard
As evryone just said, they have cut too much. The arm wrestling, the fight against Paninya, the bridge, the "ouch your granny is Pinako!".
But it was still a funny episode. And very important for the Winry's character.
The manga humor, at one point, was too much. Too silly. But I did love the part when Ed finds out that he could grow taller with lighter automail. The fantasy he has was soo funny! Al's mouth moved when he said, "You're so tall, big brother!". XD

Agree!
Kasumisty
"I don't believe in God, but... If you exist, please just for now"

Damn Ed, you hypocrite. Decide for yourself rolleyes.gif

Watching episode with subs makes it a bit better, but I guess I got used to the pace of it >> The fact is, it got great animation, bad pacing and bad selection of music. Too bad, because episodes has been gradually improving so far.
Vagrant
For once I didn't mind too much about what was cut from the manga. This arc has always been rather uninteresting. So I don't mind them condensing three chapters into one episode for it.
I mean it irks my slightly, knowing they did it worse than the manga again, but really, missing things like the arm wrestling scene and Ed versus the town doesn't change much.
That said, I was annoyed by the lack of the Pinako Rockbell part. That's fairly notable.
Still annoying to see the wasted 30 second intro back. They could have covered a fair bit of manga stuff in that time. Again. (and same with the hated voiceover ad break guy)

I liked the music throughout.
Animation seemed mixed, though I'm admittedly not the best judge of this. The scene with the house burning down looked (and sounded) great.
It had some slightly funny moments, but the humour wasn't really anything special.

On the other hand, I think they made the birth waaaay too melodramatic, compared to what it was in the manga. And although it could be down to translation differences, I feel they messed with Ed's characterisation a bit there too. (in regards to the praying part)
And I wasn't bothered by the length of the "fight", but I think they made the scale of Ed's alchemy too large again.

So, yeah. Looking more forward to next week's episode with plot that actually matters. But since it's the same as the original anime, they'll probably rush through it. So I wonder how many chapters that part is...?
Kirara
QUOTE (Vagrant @ Jun 15 2009, 04:03 AM) *
So, yeah. Looking more forward to next week's episode with plot that actually matters. But since it's the same as the original anime, they'll probably rush through it. So I wonder how many chapters that part is...?

Unfortunately they will definitely be rushing through the Izumi bits. It looks like they will covering almost 3 chapters again next week. sad.gif

And I agree with people that the birth scene was exaggerated. In the manga Ed & Al were scared but I think the point is they really had no reason to be. They just don't know much about births.

The best scenes of the episode was definitely after the birth because that was really cute and the pocket watch scene which was absolutely perfect.

I also liked the scene when Ed & Al touched the mom's stomach except that Al should not have been able to feel the baby in the stomach. This is why in the manga only Ed touches the stomach. But it was a really sweet scene so I will forgive them for this tiny error.
Full Metal Elf
OH! I forgot about the Pinako stuff with Dominique...sad.gif

They should have mentioned that, I think it was kind of important (and funny).

I think they're rushing through Izumi too sad.gif. At least it looked that way from the preview. If they do that, I sure hope they don't rush through Greed. Greed deserves his share of screen time.

I really hope they slow down once we get to the manga only stuff *crosses fingers*
Forsaken Love
neuhhh~ this was too fast for me, i wanted to see ed's armwrestle XD lol nearly the whole of volume 5 was in this episode, too much too much too much
KyuubiKitsune
Hey did anyone notice the wind turbines in the background?
Hagaren_4ever
I think tghey picked a good place for the home-burning scene to go. When Ed looked over at Winry and smiled, shivers went down my spine... don't know why! XD
It made me sad that they cut out the part where Dominique had a history with Pinako. That made me laugh so hard in the manga!

Anyway, they're probaly going to finish the Dublith story arch much faster considering they already took care of the flashbacks to the human transmutation. Which means the battle with Greed is coming up, and after that, Rush Valley again! So exciting! biggrin.gif
Tezrath
Yep noticed that, those wind turbines were on the cliff directly over the Riddle's house... can't say I'd feel too comfortable with those gigantic blades right overhead! lol

I think they missed too many things in this ep for me to be entirely happy about it, but what they did animate was well done. I have to say that I missed the chase in the city scene but I suppose that if I really want to see that I can go back to the first anime and watch their (entirely too long) version of it. They really overplayed Ed's alchemy in that chase too. And her going back to the Riddle's with the watch made exactly NO sense. Them finding her in a pawn shop on the other hand, did.... I am glad that they kept Al catching her in a cage, and then Winry's grabbing her after she scythed the bars open though smile.gif

How could they miss granny Pinako in her glory??? Loved that panel in the manga! And its not like it would have taken much to animate if they would just stop giving us episode summaries and all the other unnecessary stuff we all keep mentioning! On a side-note, what is with the ultra-shrinkage that befalls all older characters in anime? I mean I know people lose inches as they age, but they really seem to overdo it laugh.gif
ShadowCat17
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Jun 15 2009, 05:29 AM) *

I was surprised by this - was that line in the manga? It seemed to me like it should only take an even more dire helpless situation for Ed to compromise himself *that* much.

I also noticed those wind turbines, and they looked a bit out of place since it didn't exactly look like a particularly windy DESERT.
Reta McClain
QUOTE (ShadowCat17 @ Jun 15 2009, 10:03 PM) *
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Jun 15 2009, 05:29 AM) *

I was surprised by this - was that line in the manga? It seemed to me like it should only take an even more dire helpless situation for Ed to compromise himself *that* much.

I also noticed those wind turbines, and they looked a bit out of place since it didn't exactly look like a particularly windy DESERT.

Ed actually did comment about praying at that point in the manga.

"At a moment like this... you can probably do nothing but pray... Pathetic...." (Vol 5, Chapter 19; in online viewers it would be page 5)

Yes, I completely butchered the official Finnish edition, but Ed really became a hypocrite.

I agree that the pacing was questionable in the first half of the episode, I had hard time keeping up with it. I kind of found it annoying that they didn't keep the Paninya fight in Rush Valley, because in vol 8, the residents complained because Ed broke their houses again while chasing after Ran Fan. I found this funny.

Also the missing bit of Pinako-Dominic history. They DEFINATELY should have kept that.

The bridge scene was also missed, not only because of the character development but also because it shows Ed's determination to help. It also offered a good bit of hands-on alchemy explaining (the mass dragging the alchemy-made stone bridge down). When reading the manga, this info made it seem more realistic, in a way.
Lost_in_translation
QUOTE (Reta McClain @ Jun 15 2009, 01:19 PM) *
Also the missing bit of Pinako-Dominic history. They DEFINATELY should have kept that.

The bridge scene was also missed, not only because of the character development but also because it shows Ed's determination to help. It also offered a good bit of hands-on alchemy explaining (the mass dragging the alchemy-made stone bridge down). When reading the manga, this info made it seem more realistic, in a way.

Agreed! That would've at least been interesting. rolleyes.gif Plus the arm-wrestling scene. Ah well at least showing Winry's determination and post-birth scene was nice wink.gif
Radadinator
Eh, I didn't really mind this episode too much. They could've kept some things from the manga, but what they did keep was okay. The only thing I really hated was the dramatic music during the birth scene, but I thought the Italian restaurant music fit the burning house scene pretty well.

I don't care about the thirty-second equivalent exchange sequence, considering that the old anime always had Al's speech in the beginning, but I wish that they'd keep things more consistent. It's like they include it whenever they feel like it.

And I find the FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST! dude hilarious.
I bet he knows that everybody hates him, and does that extra giggle just to piss people off.

Izumi next week! Looks like the animation is good for next episode again.
edxwinryfan
I can't believe that I forgot to watch it on Sunday and Monday! I will watch it now though. It will be good because Winry is in it (unlike the manga) sleep.gif

I loved this episode smile.gif Of course the best part was when Ed gave Winry the piggyback wub.gif
Although it wasn't for very long it was cute happy.gif After seeing this episode I have to say that I am sick of watching subs and CANNOT WAIT until it is dubbed.
Tezrath
QUOTE (edxwinryfan @ Jun 16 2009, 05:16 PM) *
It will be good because Winry is in it (unlike the manga)

......ummm Winry IS in the manga during these events. Why do you think she isn't? wink.gif
RoyxRizaFan
I liked this episode. I think it went fast, but not too fast. It slowed down on the important parts (ie Ed and Winry's talk). It really put emphasis on Winry's change of character, and I was rooting for her the entire way. I count on her to defy all Mary Sues, and the Mary Sue the anime replaced her with XDDD

It was funny, though I missed the scene with Pinako. I still loved it when Ed accused that old guy (I can't remember his name >_<) of having a soft side, and how he just turned and you couldn't see his expression, but you knew from Ed's reaction... LOL

Ad Ed is adorable as usual happy.gif So I enjoyed it. I can't wait to get to see Izumi, and then the manga material is right around the corner (I think it gets different about halfway through the Greed thing, or exactly after it)

@ Tezrath - I'm pretty sure she meant in the current manga chapters, since Winry vanished after 84 and won't be back for a while, seeing how much else is going on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.