Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 10: Separate Destinations - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 6. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 10 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 10 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode
NOTE: Last week some viewers had a trouble getting streaming of raw episode as it aired in Japan of Keyhole TV.

* HD Screen caps of this episode to be posted on this link address later

* For all FMA Brotherhood anime fans who do not have access to the official subbed episodes, the transcriptions of English subbed episodes on Fanimation.com will be posted sometime later on Transcritions of official English sub thread.

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, episode title is from official English sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 10: "Separate Destinations"
In the hospital room, Ed and Al tell Armstrong, Hughes, and others about things they have witnessed at the Fifth Lab; about the human sacrifice, about the Alchemy circle for the Philosopher's Stone, and about the ones with the tattoos of Ouroboros. For now, there are no answers, and the mystery deepens. Suddenly, their talk gets interrupted by an unexpected visit by Fuhrer Bradley. He tells Ed and others there that there is some mysterious and disturbing existence within the Amestris military that King Bradley himself hasn't been able to find it's identity yet, and tells everyone to be discreet, and be careful. But, as if to ends Bradley's advice in vein, the enemy makes their move, with an attack on an unexpected person....

Reminder:
For those who had seen the first series of FMA anime, and/or read FMA manga, you can probably guess what's coming next. HOWEVER, please remember that there are some who have not seen FMA-1, nor read managa. I know many of you would like to talk about "the upcoming episode." If you do, please USE PROPER SPOILERS, so that those who have no idea for the future story would not be spoiled. THANK YOU!!! smile.gif

=======================================

Episode Summary: (To be filled)

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes, to be filled)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
amestris_star
@Tombow: Guess you need to change the title of the thread wink.gif

As for the ep, I need to stop crying and watch the subs. And the raw again.

*sobs*
Kasumisty
Wow, that was super sad and scary episode ;.;

Analysing it from beginning:

There's NO alchemy introduction at all! Joy!

Aww, Roy is dreaming. Though I would prefer Riza to struck him with the pile of paperwork than to ask what's wrong

THERE is also NO summary of previous episode: Did Bones listen to fans for once?

The whole hospital scene is intact~

Hughes...though I would like to see him react more angrily, it was scary. The VA did perfect work - you could hear the trembling in Maes' voice ;.;

Blood on the wall and telephone made me cringe ;.;

The phone booth scene. THAT WAS MASTERPIECE. The play of lighting and shadow, VA's play, cinematography. I love how exposured Envy keeps talking in his voice (but Bones, please change that flashy animation as well).

Blood flooding Hughes' family photo ;.; And Hughes bleeding to death...damn.

The funeral scene would be the saddest moment in whole series if they added typical funeral music. Nevertheless, emotional with no exceptions - Elysia yelling was done a whole lot better than in previous series - it was even "unhuman yell" as Bradley named it later...

They did keep "it's raining". I'm so glad...

Investingating, as I predicted....

Elrics and Winry laughing oblivious to what happened ;.;

Somewhere in the middle of episode, Elysia, Gracia and Winry said goodbye to Hughes going to work. Damn cinematographic...

Music fit in placed more than perfectly, there was none akward moment

Animation did as well. I'm glad it was smooth the whole episode and not much SD was squeezed into it.

I give it strong 9 out of 10.

Keep it Bones ;;

The next episode - everything I predicted as well...wait, no, they won't. They want to fit all Rush Valley into one episode...'
amestris_star
^ Rereading your comments made a shiver run up through my spine. I want to see the RAW so bad, even though I've seen the thing myself live.
Tombow
QUOTE (amestris_star @ Jun 7 2009, 04:34 AM) *
@Tombow: Guess you need to change the title of the thread wink.gif

Oops...thank you, amestris_star!! ^^

On-topic.. you guys are scaring me... Yet, I can't wait to see it!!! My computer couldn't catch Kay-Hole streaming, and I have to wait for the raw...
*stays anxious*
Michiyo-
I wanna see the raw NOW! As I read Bones did a good job. I'm gonna miss Hughes!
penguintruth
My initial impressions:

- They started off with one of my favorite scenes from the Ishbal chapters, where Roy looks up and the Fuhrer notices him. I hope they use this scene again later, with the Fuhrer's thoughts. It's a really important scene.

- The Fuhrer scene wasn't as humorous, since we already knew what the Fuhrer had in him from episode one of this new series. I mean, after dispatching Isaac so brutally, I didn't buy the friendliness at all.

- Wow, they really loved rubbing in what was going to happen. I mean, they added a scene with Hughes and his family, which felt a little like cramming last minute for a big exam, to me. The scene at the beginning was enough already.

- THE scene was pretty well done. It reminded me that, whereas in the first series Envy appeared as Maria to get Hughes to trust him and go with him to a place where he could kill him, it's different in the manga, since the Maria disguise was specifically to frame her for it later.

- Another thing about THE scene, was how they really just went beyond to rub it in, with mixed results. Blood leaking out over the photo of the family was too much, as were Hughes getting last words after being shot (that was just lame and melodramatic). I did like the bit where Envy takes the phone and hangs it up while Roy is still talking into it. For a moment, I thought Envy was going to say something, but he was smarter than that.

- As I expected, the whole affair wasn't quite as sad as it was in the first series, but that could be because I knew it was coming. On the other hand, the funeral wasn't nearly as sad. The music didn't make the scene as much as Oshima's track did previously. Still, I was sad to see Hughes go again.

- Ugh, Rush Valley next week. Maybe I can skip it an decompress.

amestris_star
http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/06/07...brotherhood-10/

Screenshots from the ep are up on the curious Curiosity anime blog smile.gif
Elemental/Alchemist
QUOTE (amestris_star @ Jun 7 2009, 05:30 AM) *
http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/06/07...brotherhood-10/

Screenshots from the ep are up on the curious Curiosity anime blog smile.gif
arghhh those shots are making me fidget... must see...
ahem...
so i asked a friend who got keyhole to work for him what he thought and he said "crude... just the way Arakawa intended..."
and i thought, ok i can understand that, after all the manga death was short paneled, so a corresponding episode may be short as well
but then i realized it really delves into how much Ms. Arakawa realizes (and so too us the readers/viewers) that life is short, and can be changed abruptly, plans can be altered, disrupted, lives can be shaken in a moment - even what seems so unfair a moment, so crude a moment - such is the way, therefore, that the panels are drawn
so it is only right for them to follow that and do the episode as such

so i suppose what you're all saying so far about this episode, as much as I as a Hughes fan would like it to be more emotionally driven, is correct and right for this adaptation, meant to bring out the best in the original manga work...

of course until i see it, these are all just thoughts, but i think what my friend said is a good preparation for what is an artistic evaluation of a black and white story line - crude, short and full of life and artistic motion as a character meets the end to his
amestris_star
QUOTE (Elemental/Alchemist @ Jun 7 2009, 11:43 AM) *
"crude... just the way Arakawa intended..."

Those were my thoughts exactly when I finished watching the ep.
Claudius
Geez, I remembered seeing episode 25 on its repeated airing that premiere night on Cartoon Network late April 2005. I learned a hint about what would happen to Hughes, but I hoped he survived, until I saw the funeral. Even then, I hoped that that anime1 had already left behind the manga source, and this was purely an invention of the adaptation. No such luck. My mourning of Hughes was late, occurring February 2006 when the series was ending its run on Cartoon Network. What a depressing time. I don't think I want to watch the death scene. I already saw Episode 25 twice (the second time was immediately followed by my watching episode 51 and Conqueror of Shamballa. Unlike a lot of you, I was not disappointed), I don't want to see Maes Hughes die again, and with the added violence, my reluctance has skyrocketed. Please understand.

Nevertheless, I wish to give my comments about the story.
-Why Gracia? Yes, I know why (I'm writing a fanfic about my favorite couple), but its rather a problem with foreshadowing. Even when I first saw the death in 25, I found Envy's disguise a little off. Why not Elysia? This is a flaw of all three versions: there is precious little about Hughes' devotion to Gracia. Most of Hughes' scenes dealt with the dotting daddy instead of the loving worshipful husband. Thus, Envy's act doesn't quite have that impact. Incredibly, it's Conqueror of Shamballa that has that emphasis; the short moments of Nazi Hughes and Gracia spoke volumes about how much the man loved this woman, moreso than their FMA counterparts. So what happened? Did Arakawa plan to have Envy become Elysia, but recent 'school-shooting' incidents made 'kids with guns' a big no-no?
I wished Anime2 remedied this problem. Something along the lines of sudden 'flashback memories' (like what happened to Anime1Hohenheim in Anime1episode 45). If you've seen today's episode, please prove me wrong!
Oh well, I'll always have Conqueror of Shamballa for my Hugracia take, as well my fanfics, and a certain series that IMO features characters who make a good live-action resemblance to the Late Brigadier General and his wife…

http://www.angelcordy.com/pictures/angelcordy12.jpg

Think of it as a pre-wedding photo.
-So Roy was on the phone when his friend was killed? Different from Anime1's 'Roy to the rescue (too late)' plot point. So how did he remember his friend's bloody end later in the manga? It's not like the authorities left the corpse alone for a few days for Roy to see.
-There wasn't much flashback as I've read. You may like the 'Roy strides before the Fuhrer's eyes' scene in the manga flashback, but I tend to favor the Anime1flashback in episode 25. Here's the description:
It is c.1909. Maes knocks at the door. It opens to reveal Roy, his haunted face a testimony to the horrors of the Ishbal War. It's enough to shock Maes Hughes (here clean-shaven, with two hair bangs), but he quickly restores his happy face and presents Roy an apple pie his girlfriend made. And then Roy's face brightens. He actually smiles, probably for the first time in years.
It's my favorite Roy-Hughes scene and its among my favorite Anime-friendship scenes. It is a nice scene about two friends reuniting. There has been distance. AnimeHughes never went to Ishbal (Dialogue: Roy: "Easy for you to say. You weren't there."/Maes: "No, I wasn't. And if you didn't want to kill enemies in battle, you shouldn't have been there, either. Should have asked for a desk job like I did."). Both their expressions suggest neither has seen each other for a long time. But the distance ends at the door. The sight of Maes is able to bring a smile to the haunted Roy (Unless I'm mistaken, this is probably the only time Roy actually receives something akin to 'Getting a hug'). Maes' shock over his friend's situation sets him to help Roy (even if it means punching some sense into him for attempting human transmutation). As Roy talks about his plan to rise up, Maes nominates himself to help Roy on that goal by being near the higher-ups. Tragically, in view of what happened, Roy had created his best friend's death warrant, a warrant the enemy inevitably signed six years later. Still, it shows what a wonderful man Hughes is. His willingness to help someone (especially his friend) no matter the lack of reward or consequences.
-So does Anime2Hughes say his manga line 'I can't choose my fate after taking lives'? That dialogue sounds like a man who probably did not intend on being a father. It's my suspicion that maybe Elysia was an accident (a beautiful one). This would explain why the dutiful father Hughes had only one child within a span of four years (compare that to reluctant father Hohenheim, who had Trisha spit out two babies in less that time!)
-Back in 2005/2006, I read complaints about Elysia's behavior at the funeral. Something along the nonsensical lines of Despite the fact Elysia is 3-4 years ago, she should have known better about death! Whatever. I sincerely doubt Hughes would have taught her. If I sound arrogant, let me put it this way: Considering the doting father Hughes was, do you think he would puncture his daughter's secure childhood with something grim like 'Let me tell you about death.'? Didn't think so.
-The recent events in the manga have given new insight to these past events. I'll spoiler them.
Considering Envy wants to see humans kill each other, did he actually expect Hughes to kill the likeness of his wife? Oh, he'd kill him anyway, but he probably wanted some fun out of it. But Hughes refused to cater to the psycho's whims, at the cost of his life. The Envy that freaked out over seeing Roy, Ed, Riza, and Scar refuse to lower themselves must have been very disappointed over Hughes' refusal. Thus, the Lieutenant Colonel gained some victory. Oh, Envy and Lust. By killing Hughes, you expected to end the opposition to the Homunculus' plans. An ending did come, the end to the Homunculus' security. Both of you will not outlive Hughes long.
-Bradley's shaking hands at the funeral. He told Roy that he was annoyed at Elysia's behavior, but could there be a different reason? Hughes was a father who deeply loved his daughter, who reciprocated that love. Bradley can never have that relationship. Selim's reaction to his father's death would probably be 'Munchy time!' Envy is not the only envious Homunculus.
SneakyRuler
I don't have any willpower! I swore I'd wait untill the subs are out but here I am... not sure of what I think or feel. I don't like the Führer. In anime1 I kinda thought of him as a silly man who likes to make fun of people but here... the man gives me the creeps!
Otherwise... love Lust and Envy (meaning I love how they just are their evil selves), Envy hanging the speaker while Hughes' hand was reaching toward it... scary as hell.
More coherent thoughts after I see the subs
amestris_star
QUOTE (SneakyRuler @ Jun 7 2009, 01:49 PM) *
Otherwise... love Lust and Envy (meaning I love how they just are their evil selves), Envy hanging the speaker while Hughes' hand was reaching toward it... scary as hell.

Just think of Chapters 39 and 95 and you'd start grinning like an idiot.
SonPan
Can someone send me a link to subbed... plssss im dieing to see it biggrin.gif
amestris_star
QUOTE (SonPan @ Jun 7 2009, 03:58 PM) *
Can someone send me a link to subbed... plssss im dieing to see it biggrin.gif

Sub is not available for now... guess it's a bit early +P
SonPan
Yes ofcourse I meant WHEN it comes out (im going out so im hoping ill get a link by the time I come back lol)
kkg22104
I just finished watching the raw...T_T I hate how they included Ed, Al, and Winry on the train laughing because they don't find out until like five chapters later...

The backgrounds looked kinda funny in the scene with Roy, Riza, and Armstrong near the end. It was like a painting and didn't look very realistic. But I did like the music in this episode, especially when Ed was talking about sensei and the music just kinda died laugh.gif

I want SUBS!

EDIT: Oh, and also, I really liked the eye catches this week. And the "FMA" guy wasn't quite as annoying as last time...
Michiyo-
Watched the raw... It was such a sad episode. Hughes trying to reach for the phone, the funeral, Roy at the grave... T_T

They kept the humor for the first half of the ep. I liked everyone's shocked face after Bradley escaped through the window, and, like kkg22104 said, the music that died when they thought of Izumi. biggrin.gif

Voice acting was really good this time, too. Not only Paku Romi, but Fujiwara Keiji did an awesome job.

I liked the scene at the beginning when Riza gently tried to wake Roy up by calling him.

The animation and music for the ep. was good, too.

Now I'm waiting for the subs to come out. I'm gonna cry again after I watch that version later.
Sannom
QUOTE ("kkg22104")
I hate how they included Ed, Al, and Winry on the train laughing because they don't find out until like five chapters later...

They find out five volumes later. Something like 19 chapters.
kkg22104
QUOTE (Sannom @ Jun 7 2009, 11:32 AM) *
QUOTE ("kkg22104")
I hate how they included Ed, Al, and Winry on the train laughing because they don't find out until like five chapters later...

They find out five volumes later. Something like 19 chapters.

Ack, you're right. Well that just makes it even worse. sad.gif
Kirara
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jun 7 2009, 08:12 AM) *
Oh, and also, I really liked the eye catches this week. And the "FMA" guy wasn't quite as annoying as last time...

Me too, well I still don't like the talking aspect but I loved the design. It was a nice way to show how much Hughes was a big part of Roy.

And you know I really liked how this episode ended with Roy investigating Hughes death. For me it shows that Hughes death isn't there just to make us sad but it will continue to impact the story: both plot wise and character wise.

I also think the flashback from Ishval they chose was appropriate. But they better show it again later and include what Bradley actially says (if they leave that line out I will be pissed).

The only thing I didn't like was Hughes saying sorry to his family before he died. I know it makes the scene sadder but I like how in the manga his death is quick. It just felt more realistic that way.

Also I didn't mind the scene of Ed, Al, & Winry laughing and having a good time. They were completely oblivious to what happened so it was only natural and it was a good contrast to the other scenes.
Hagaren_4ever
The did this episode differently! Half the time I couldn't guess what they were saying! I'm actually going to have to watch the sub to fully enjoy this episode. ohmy.gif

The funeral was sooo pretty. The animation was beautiful! Wow!
This episode had a good flow to it. I like how almost the entire episode was all about Hughes. It worked.
I liked that they added a little extra bit with his daughter. It was cute.
The scene with the Fuhrer coming into Edward's room was finally done. And well, if I do say so myself.
Is it just me, or was the "Fullmetal Alchemist!" guy significantly less annoying this week? When I heard him, I felt no urge to kill anything! So that's an improvement!
I am very much looking forward to the next episode. (Paninya!)
I wonder if they're going to show the scene where Winry delivers Mrs. Le'court's baby. Come to think of it, they'll probably save that for the next episode.
Kasumisty
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Jun 7 2009, 07:02 PM) *
I wonder if they're going to show the scene where Winry delivers Mrs. Le'court's baby. Come to think of it, they'll probably save that for the next episode.

Unfortunately not, the bits from after the labour were shown in the preview.
SonPan
No but from what I've seen in the preview it looked like they are goinhg to show the delivery... since that scene where they're all panicing is there
Hagaren_4ever
I didn't see the preview! ohmy.gif
Radadinator
I still need to watch this episode. :/
From the sounds of it, they overdid it a bit...then again, FMA 1 overdid it too with that ghostly Hughes waving goodbye to Ed on the train platform.
edo little kid
*cry*......T.T
I watched the episode.....
It's ..... sad..... T.T

but , the ep was really wonderful the art was (like movie art )perfect.....
------------
I loved the part with Meas family. ;_;
------------
the preview is going in this ep , that good .
-------------
I liked all this episode .
----------------
Hmm.....
the next ep look so funny...
I will wait ep11.
------------------
Anakishi
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Jun 7 2009, 02:02 PM) *
Is it just me, or was the "Fullmetal Alchemist!" guy significantly less annoying this week? When I heard him, I felt no urge to kill anything! So that's an improvement!

I felt the same way, though I think it's only due to the eyecatches being so awesome this week. Still, it's good we had a not-so-annoying voice for this specific episode.

Not much to say, to be honest, Hughes's death doesn't affect me as much (maybe it's because I saw him die in anime1 before I started following the series properly), but the scene in the phonebooth was done very creepy, and the music was fantastic. What I loved the most was the ending, with the grave and Elrics and Winry laughing obliviously: it left the suspense of when they would find out what happened, and how they'd react. In the first series, they found it out so later on that I didn't even care anymore, and it was awkward to see Ed react that fiercely.
mira mirth
Um, if anyone has a link to a direct download, and not torrent, for this episode - whether subbed or raw - I would be greatly appreciative of it =) Although I hear subs aren't even out yet... *sigh*

Edit: Oh, wait, I've discovered where all you clever people check the subs' appearance. Still haven't the foggiest where to look for the raws, though.
edxwinryfan
Can anyone PM me a link to the subbed episode? Thanks smile.gif
crazyanimefan
I cried this episode. While the actual killing did in fact make me tear (the blood on the Hughes family photo was beyond creepy), what really made me cry was Elysia at the funeral. A little girl who doesnt have any idea what is going on and why her father will never come back. The VAs did an excellent job this episode. I really liked the end, with the Elrics and Winry just laughing because it really contrasted against the serious mood and also how it set up the dramatic reactions later. Overall, it was excellent.
TheGreed
Does anybody know why the subs are taking so long? :S i never like watching the raw versions but i may end up doing that as i've been really excited for this episode.
Pyroluminescence
QUOTE (TheGreed @ Jun 7 2009, 04:51 PM) *
Does anybody know why the subs are taking so long? :S i never like watching the raw versions but i may end up doing that as i've been really excited for this episode.

Eclipse just released fansubs. TOOK LONG ENOUGH, dinnit it?
Kyelinn
Oooh could you PM me a link please!?
vfdj24
Maybe the subs are taking too long because everyone's crying too hard and keep getting through the episode? I'm sad just thinking about it.
Sword Alchemist
Awesome, they pulled this episode off very nicely.

It was so much more emotional than the first series. The way they showed Hughes trying to reach for the phone as he was dying and then saying sorry to Gracia and Elicia. WOW. What a great yet sad episode.

I hate Envy so much. And now poor Maria Ross has to take the blame in the near future.
Full Metal Elf
T_______________________T *blows nose*

This episode was done SO well! I loved the Bradley part in the beginning! lol It was so funny...

And...his death...it was just done so well.

I loved the Ishbal stuff in the beginning. I can't wait to see it in more detail later.

Can't wait for next week... ...so that after that we see Izumi! ^__^
Jen_Elric
Well, that was as great as I hoped it would be! It had so many manga panels! I'm so happy that I re-read the corresponding chapters last night.

-I like how the episode began, with Mustang and Hughes in Roy's Flashback/dream. The part when Bradley looks down at Roy, when Roy looks up at him was gold.
- Hughes saying goodbye to his family before going to work was sad (and cute, cuz of Elicia). I knew what was going to happen, so it was like twisting the knife.
-The kinda fight between Hughes and Lust was so quick and dark, I had to rewind it to see when she stabbed him! I thought I missed it!
-The whole phonebooth scene was mixed for me. I loved everything with Hughes trying to call Roy, Envy as Maria and then as Gracia, and Hughes's face when he sees "Gracia" holding a gun at him. I even loved the part when Hughes reaches up for the receiver, and Envy hangs it up.
But I didn't like the part when Hughes has his final words, then dies. It felt overdone. They should have left it like in the manga.
-The train scenes were nice.
-Ugh. The funeral scene. Elicia made me cry. And I loved how the angle was changed in the "It's raining" scene.
-The "Roy questions Armstrong" scene was exactly like the manga. Wonderfully played!

I forgot to mention that I loved how Al started shaking when Ed mentions their teacher! So cute!!

Next episode, Rush Valley. That should be interesting.
Kyelinn
OMG This episode absolutely had me in tears. It was so well executed. Hughes whole death scene was a lot more emotionally gripping than the original...it truly was. So absolutely heartbreaking and Winry and the Elrics totally oblivious to it all...;____; Well done, Bones. Keep up the awesome work as you're doing so now.
Hagaren_4ever
I actually squealed when I saw the preview for the next episode. I can't wait to see the scene with Ed and Winry! Oooh, that's gonna be great! It'll be good to have a nice comic relief episode, too.
FMAobsessed
I thought I would try not to cry this episode, but it didn't work at all. The phone booth scene where Hughes reaches for the phone wasn't in the first series right? I lost it at the burial scene. Poor Elycia. I thought the episode was beautifully done.
And of course the "it's raining" scene had me bawling/

Next weeks episode will at least be funnier and more light.
Animeoldtimer
Excellent episode! I noticed the name "Olivier" used in the code Hughes gave to the operator. Interesting.
I really like how Ed and Winry interact in this series. I think it's better than the original series. I also like the scenes with Roy and Riza. Although, Riza seems a bit soft to me. I guess we haven't see her in her true colors yet, but that's my initial impression.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, too. biggrin.gif

Thanks to all who bring us the episodes and subs!
Tsuppi
@Animeoldtimer: Olivier ? Really? Also I read that the code he used, USO800, has significance to what he was trying to call about, since uso = lie.

Before I delve into the several notes and (dis)likes epi 10 of FMAB spawned for me, overall, I must say....
I LOVE STUDIO BONES WITH ALL MY HEART!! GYAH! How could you make something so perfect for me?!
[viva original manga storyline]
Their character designs and backgrounds, among other things, are awesome.
In this episode, they were great as always.

The adaptation was faithful to the manga and more importantly, honest. Someone mentioned that it was all meant to be crude and abrupt and shocking. Can't disagree. Anyway, back to my point--the manga was followed chronology-wise faithfully, except for the flashback (anyone notice how crisp and bright they made the colours in the normal scenes, compared to flashbacks and dreams?) and placing Scar's dream and awakening at the slums in episode 9 (a perfect thing to have done, since everything that had gone on beforehand was about how family can stick together--since Scar's family didn't quite stick together).

• The start where Roy was just leaning in his chair and conversing with Riza--enough to convince me, this episode will be good. I mean, Roy just sitting there is damn cool. tongue.gif (in all seriousness, the animation is damn cool, that's what)
    side note: almost ironic how Roy says 'boring flashback.' I have two issues: JUST? c'mon. BORING? oh, geez, the Ishbal War flashbacks are my personal favourites of the whole manga!
  • OMG THE HOSPITAL SCENE: Maria's reaction to the Führer is... <3!!
    MELON! biggrin.gif Ed's reaction = LOL
    Bradley's twofacedness definitely shows.... Also, he looks like a relative of mine if I made 'im angry....
  • EDXWINRY: Lovers' spat! happy.gif
    Al is back to normal, as well.
  • EXTRA FAMILY MOMENT (I read the corresponding manga just before the epi, and why do the Hughes have an apartment rather than IIRC in a condo/house thing as the manga had it? who cares it's beautifully drawn): dig a fork into my heart, will ya?
    And for something completely different: WINRY'S HAIR IS ALIVE. How well could you possibly animate her bowing? Gosh!! <3
  • TRAIN SCENES: the music grinding to a halt is effing classic. And later on at the very end of the epi, they did not have Maes waving. I don't much care for that addition of FMA1's. But it was fitting, right? I guess the fact is, they're not riding on pure melodrama but trying to help develop Roy's character--he lives longer. sad.gif
  • MAES' EPIPHANY: his reaction, compared to the manga, is different (he doesn't quite jump from his seat), but it is a purfect juxtaposition to his lively demeanour in the family moment.
  • THE MOMENT: His blade and where Maes hid it was foreshadowed in, I believe, episode 7, when he met with Ed and Al in the liberry. Totally knew what that was for. They animated the blood dripping as he staggered. Love. As for the phonebooth scene, the "camera" direction was amazing.
    And Maes' last words? Omigod. It's definitely something that could have been added by Arakawa but of course, wasn't. It's an adaptor's job to try to mine the depths the sourcework and see where they can find some gold. But I think the "I couldn't keep the promise" wasn't quite so lustrous. Should have cut it short.

It started with Roy being awesome and ended that way. The focus of episode 10 was making it understood why Roy would want to be so vengeful which is something I, having neglected the manga for months beforehand, knew F-all about until I read chapter 95. Roy's face was scar-ee.

Go BONES. Go Arakawa-sensei.
Go LIFE. biggrin.gif
Vagrant
I wish they'd make Bradleys seem less obviously evil. Roy's flashback and his telling them not to speak about the information came off way too sinister. And this is after what we saw from him in that first episode.
Still, hah at his "escape".

Al's shaking and Ed's fear talking about Izumi was adorable. (I also liked the way the music almost had a record scratch effect as mortality dawned on Ed)
As was Al's celebration at the promise of Winry cooking him that pie.

Might have had something to do with the quality I was watching, but the building Hughes was in was drawn awfully. Mismatched lines and broken perspective. And the animation didn't seem too good in that Ishbal bit at the beginning.
However from Hughe's funeral onwards, the episode looked really good. Mainly down to lighting effects and the like.

I just didn't like the way Hughes' death was handled. :\
For one thing, him hobbling away was fairly dodgy to me. I mean, I know it otherwise was almost exactly from the manga, except with that unecessary bit with him getting last words (Envy wouldn't have finished him off immediately?), as penguintruth noted. And the insert with Envy hanging up. Which I kind of liked, but think it seems a little plotholey. (no checking for fingerprints or any actual reason for doing it?)

The funeral scene was something of a disappointment too. The music wasn't fantastic. And although again, perfectly copied from the manga, the things Elysia was saying and Bradley shaking just didn't have the emotional impact I always envisioned. :\

On the other hand, Roy's lines afterwards and the talk on the train were fantastic.

I also liked Roy figuring Armstrong's hints. Possibly a sign of how they'll handle the cold war-esque information passing that comes up much later in the story.

And in the manga, here was the bit with Scar having a Kimbley flashback and waking up in the Ishbal slum.
On that note, I liked the flashback being put into the beginning of this episode. It helps sort out the story a bit more, I guess. It's weird how FMA's exposition gets muddled in my mind due to rereading and having watched the show and such.

Anyway, I plan on watching how the original anime handled all this for comparison.

Also, NOT looking forward to next week's episode. >_<
FullMetalFist
I was very disappointed with this episode, I think Hughes's death was not dramatic enough(his funeral is what I am referring to). I really did not feel it, the original series sold his death a lot more. It had the booming music at his funeral and it was much more devastating. They really got to up their music. It just did not do it for me, I wish it would have had a little more sadness to it. The actual death scene looked good, with his blood oozing onto his family picture. I really did not care for the way he was shot, your telling me he froze up over envy turning into his wife so he would die and never see his real wife again. Ya I know envy would have killed him eventually any way considering she does not die like a human being. I almost felt like hughes died like a wimp and that makes me sad. I know it follows the manga, but that is how I feel. I sleep on it and think about is some more and see if I change my mind.
Vagrant
I just watched the original anime version and I think the funeral was no better, except for the music. I think a lot of the reason I was disappointed was because the shock was gone. I've already seen this plot twist and the sadness of it twice.

But I agree with FullMetalFist on the hesitation being too much. It was the same in the manga and the old anime, but yeah.
Radadinator
I saw the episode with subs, finally.

It looks as if they spent most of the budget on the second half of the episode (and it shows), but I don't really mind, since the lighting and the colors were on par with the Nina episode. Man, if all else fails, the colors save the episode.

The phonebooth scene was great, except that it would've been more effective if Envy spoke in Gracia's voice, in my opinion. I didn't have any problems with the blood on the photo, but Hughes' last words were over-the-top. (At least it wasn't any ghost waving bye to Ed.)
Then again, judging by the director's other series, it looks like he likes to make sad scenes overly emotional.

The funeral scene with Elysia...well, I felt the emotion coming, but at that moment, a background noise with the worst timing ever went off and I ended up laughing right when they were shoveling dirt on the coffin. Man I feel like a terrible person now.

Overall, a pretty good episode. Not looking forward much to the next episode, but the animation looks good, so I'll probably be distracted. The one thing I can't wait to see is Bradley in a Hawaiian T-shirt. They had better keep that in.

Edit: About the hesitation thing, I guess Envy enjoyed seeing Hughes dying right at his feet. Then again, I'm probably looking too much into this.
penguintruth
Wow. This was probably my favorite episode of the series thus far, I honestly enjoyed it quite a bit. Is it as good as episode 25 of the first series? Well, maybe not. Still, some consideration has to be made for the fact that I expected the events of this episode. Other than that, it was masterfully done, except for a few little nagging details.

But first, some positives. The scene at the beginning during the Ishbal massacre was awesome. It was actually from one of my favorite moments in the manga. I only wish that they had given the Fuhrer's thoughts like in the manga, and how he looked down at Roy and saw him staring not at him, but beyond him, seeing the fierce ambition in his eyes. But perhaps they'll revisit that in the future.

The purpose of the Ishbal conflict was for the same reason episode 25 of the first series had that bit where Hughes finds Roy depressed and promises to help lift him him to the top position in the country. Whoever decided to add this flashback was very wise in doing so, because it had the same effect of showing the viewer just what a big supporter of Roy he was.

I found the scene with the Fuhrer somewhat amusing, not because of the humor, but because in that scene were all voice talents that reprised their roles for the second series. The Elrics, Hughes, Armstrong, and Bradley were all the same voices that they were in the first series, and there they all were in the same scene. It made me smile.

As for the humor of the scene, it was somewhat disturbted by the fact we clearly saw a different nature of the Fuhrer in the first episode, the anime-only episode with Isaac. I knew it would eventually have some consequences. I mean, even if I wasn't already aware of the Fuhrer's true nature, I think if this was my first exposure to FMA, I'd still be expecting something wicked every time I saw him.

The scene in which Hughes dies is done fairly well, except for a few things that bothered me. For one, they lingered over it for too long, and it took away from the suddeness of it. Not only did they add blood leaking over the family photo, but Hughes didn't die right away, he was dying and even had last words after being shot. It felt like they were dragging it out a tad.

And while that was too long, on the other hand, the funeral was a little shorter and the episode spent a bit of time with the investigation, which should have been saved for the next episode or the one after that. Part of the impact of the first series' 25th episode was that it ended so shortly after the funeral, with that sort of ghostly appearance of Hughes at a train station, waving at Ed. If they had shown Roy talk with Riza and Armstrong after that scene, it wouldn't have meant as much.

The next episode is Rush Valley, and while it was my least favorite part of the manga, I'm too much of a FMA fan to just skip it. Mercifully, it will only be one episode, then onto Izumi.
Elemental/Alchemist
QUOTE (Tsuppi @ Jun 8 2009, 12:10 AM) *
@Animeoldtimer: Olivier ? Really? Also I read that the code he used, USO800, has significance to what he was trying to call about, since uso = lie.
The adaptation was faithful to the manga and more importantly, honest. Someone mentioned that it was all meant to be crude and abrupt and shocking. Can't disagree. Anyway, back to my point--the manga was followed chronology-wise faithfully, except for the flashback (anyone notice how crisp and bright they made the colours in the normal scenes, compared to flashbacks and dreams?) and placing Scar's dream and awakening at the slums in episode 9 (a perfect thing to have done, since everything that had gone on beforehand was about how family can stick together--since Scar's family didn't quite stick together).
very good pick up of the the term "uso" i noticed it in the manga but never thought much of it
and yup that was me with the crude statement - and now having finally given in to seeing it w/ unofficial subs i can safely say my friend who told me it was crude was right...
it bears repeating - whatever you thought of this one in comparison to the Ep.25 of Anime1, this followed Ms. Arakawa's panels in indicating a sudden and crude end of life...
Truthfully I never liked the suddenness of it, but alas that's just how life is... Maybe I always wanted to see something else occur around the corner, something else to show the intensity of the situation Hughes knew about but we don't yet know about (in similar vein when a supporting actor dies in a movie, occasionally that one is the guy who knew something the rest didn't, and the lead up to his demise is drawn out)....

But then we come to penguintruth's point:
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Jun 8 2009, 03:52 AM) *
The scene in which Hughes dies is done fairly well, except for a few things that bothered me. For one, they lingered over it for too long, and it took away from the suddeness of it. Not only did they add blood leaking over the family photo, but Hughes didn't die right away, he was dying and even had last words after being shot. It felt like they were dragging it out a tad.

And while that was too long, on the other hand, the funeral was a little shorter and the episode spent a bit of time with the investigation, which should have been saved for the next episode or the one after that. Part of the impact of the first series' 25th episode was that it ended so shortly after the funeral, with that sort of ghostly appearance of Hughes at a train station, waving at Ed. If they had shown Roy talk with Riza and Armstrong after that scene, it wouldn't have meant as much.
There's no doubt about it, the team behind the episode knew that they'd have to make it fit the manga, but that in an Anime they have artistic freedom to move beyond the fixed black and white pages...
So I give props for the extra scene added after the shot, I feel like it was Bones' way of saying "hey we know this is how it's being done, but we're gonna give a little extra b/c 1) it's an important turning point in the story and 2) everyone already knows what happens (or most did)"
And that's a tough thing to get past, most of us already knew this was coming - I remember being very emotional when I watched the first one, and took extra time to read the chapter when I came to it...
But now, well, I just wanted to make sure a good story was told - longer, shorter, w/e, I think they did a good job accomplishing this...
As well I'm happy they made sure to include Riza at the end - a major connection...
Hughes is a major reason Roy does what he does, and Riza is now the one remaining close friend he has (the military team is a team yes, but it was Hughes and Riza who supported in closeness his goals) - now Hughes' death brings them closer, and we'll surely see them draw this out as well as it is seen in the manga

Lastly, Hughes/Roy and Roy/Riza is one of the most compelling and interesting relationships in manga in my opinion, and it looks like they'll do them good justice in the episodes to come, thank you Bones.
Claudius
Hey, did anyone realize the future significance of Hughes knocking down one of Lust's life-points?
In chapter 39, Lust was so very close in putting her finger through Roy's head, but disintegrated. She would have succeeded if she had one life-point left. In essence, Hughes saved his best friend's life.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.