Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will Winry Return As A Pawn Again Or She Will Show Up As Just A Pie Maker? Or?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2
Animeoldtimer
(I was going to put silly answers like "Winry can't resist eating the pies while waiting so long for Ed that she gains ten pounds." but I wanted to start a more significant discussion.)

Who here thinks Winry will be used again as a pawn in the manga? or Do you think she'll just come back in the end with the pie? I'm not really sure. I'd like her to be seen again, but would her showing up again as a pawn be too cliche for people?

I don't expect to see her in Father's abode. However, I get the feeling she will be helping out in another way other than baking pies. However, with Wrath missing it does make me suspicious of him going after her.
Kirara
Well of course how much more Winry will do will depend on how much time is left in the manga. But I somehow doubt Winry will be used as pawn again after Arakawa so brilliantly established that she would not let herself be used as pawn. Nor do I think we will just see Winry baking pie (although of course that scene has to be in the manga eventually).

I can't recall where I read it but there was an interview once where Arakawa said where she grew up everyone worked: the men, the women, and the children so I think this reflects how she writes her character. Thus I can't see Winry doing nothing. Whether she will do something major again I am not sure but I am pretty sure she will help out in some way.

However, with Wrath missing it does make me suspicious of him going after her.

Although I suppose this is a possibility but then even still I am sure Winry will turn things around so she is in control. Where is Wrath should also be a topic though. tongue.gif
FMAobsessed
I have no idea what Arakawa plans to do with Winry. I would like to see her again though. A while ago in the manga Winry would say that "waiting was all she could do" and "she was tired of waiting and doing nothing." I think with this, Winry has a chance of coming back. I don't know if she will be at the actual final battle, but I think she will do something. Because manga Winry is definitely stronger than first anime series Winry.

Animeoldtimer your suggestion that Winry has gained ten pounds because she ate a lot of pie waiting for Ed's return made me laugh out loud! That would be a funny drawing to see.
Aribelle
I think we'll see more of her before the end, although I don't think it'll be just as a pawn. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Wrath has gone after her, but if that happens I don't think she'll stay a pawn 'til the end. I don't really have any predictions beyond that haha, but I have a feeling that she hasn't been reduced to just a pie maker just yet.
penguintruth
She's not especially relevant to what's going on, but I wouldn't mind seeing her again. I don't dislike her, but sometimes I feel like her development seems to get in the way of the plot.

Winry needs to get back to fixing automail and leave the fighting to the real women, like Izumi and Olivia.
Sannom
Well, I think that Bradley will be brought to Resembool by the river, and here he will be found by Winry. And Winry will abduct him, tie him in the basement of their house in order for him to not do anything in the final battle. I even expect a conversation between the two for some reason.
_Mat
Hm...

Anyone thought about winry getting killed or seriously hurt by wrath? Maybe so she needs an automail herself. I think that Wrath will get revenge by hurting Winry... Noone can seriously think that Winry would be able to abduct Wrath. xD For me, her task is not to fight, but to support the others, morally. To talk to them, to give them good advices, but to fight?... xD
Anomia Grey
Do you guys remember Ed coming to Central and sumbling upon Winry who been talking to Wrath for quite a while? With Bradley remarking something in the lines of 'oh what a nice girl you two must be really close?' Where was it in the comic (did I just take it from th first tv series?), and more importantly, has Bradley ever used that information himself? (would the Briggs episode count?)
Sannom
That scene with Winry and Bradley must be in the third chapter of volume 12, so chapter 48. And yeah, he has already used the this intelligence when he blackmailed Edward in stating a State Alchemist, because he knew how much the brothers cared for her.

QUOTE (_Mat @ Jun 5 2009, 04:06 AM) *
I think that Wrath will get revenge by hurting Winry... Noone can seriously think that Winry would be able to abduct Wrath.

If he is unconscious and wounded after the train accident, why not? If memory serves, they have tables with restraints on them for the automails operations, she could use one of those to make sure that he doesn't move.
Animeoldtimer
QUOTE (Sannom @ Jun 5 2009, 05:12 AM) *
If he is unconscious and wounded after the train accident, why not? If memory serves, they have tables with restraints on them for the automails operations, she could use one of those to make sure that he doesn't move.

And doesn't she have some bodyguards at her house still? Hmmm. That gives me an image of the movie Misery.

I had another crazy thought. What if the train accident knocked the philosopher's stone out of Wrath and he becomes human again? Suddenly his concerns would only be for his wife, the only person he chose for himself. Then Winry would help him get to her and he becomes the key to Greedling becoming human again. I know it won't happen. Like I said "crazy thought."
Sannom
Well, if they talk I do think his wife will come into play. I would love to see him embarrass Winry with some talk about Ed laugh.gif
kkg22104
I'm not really sure what Winry is going to do, but there's really not that much manga left for her to do something huge or dramatic. There's probably going to be around 10 more chapters, and Arakawa still has to get to the final battle and aftermath to wrap up up the story. I hope we'll at least see Winry feeding Ed some pie laugh.gif

As for Wrath...I don't think it's possible for him to go back to becoming a human. There's no doubt that he's still alive though, so he's probably just hiding out and Arakawa is going to spring him out of nowhere to surprise us all tongue.gif
Krokgard
I'm sure that she 'll be important in some way in the next few chapters... she's just too much important as a character to disapper until the very end, when Ed and Al will return to Resembool jumping and singing.
Gimpyhair
I don't want to see Winry as an hostage (she has already been used this way before, it's too predictable and too unoriginal), but I don't want to see her just as a pie maker either (I think she deserves more than just one post-battle-scene left). So I guess I would like her to help somehow, something underground, kinda like Maria Ross and Jean Havoc are doing right now. But like many said before, I don't see what she could do.

What I think is most likely and logical to happen: pie-maker. Anyway, between this and the pawn, I prefer the pie-maker: I'm tired of plots where girls are taken hostage (maybe because I read too much Inuyasha in the past o_O)
edxwinryfan
I miss Winry so much! I want her to come back soon,but I don't care how she comes back and I think it would be interesting if she was a hostage again because then Ed would have to save her wub.gif wub.gif She better end up with Ed by the end of the manga or I'll be REALLY upset.
RoyxRizaFan
Winry better not be a hostage. She's already said she didn't want to be used, and if she's taken again, I think it'd really add flame to her haters, and just cause all her fans to get annoyed. If the poor girl isn't allowed to stand on her own and work for something she believes in, then all her character developement has been for nothing. She's come too far to be the classic 'damsel in distress'.

If she were taken, escaped somehow while doing something that had meaning, I'd be fine (however unlikely that is), but a practically pointless kidnapping is out of the question and I hope Arakawa won't put us through that.

I really like Winry, and how she's an average girl who is also independant. I think a hostage situation would kill all she stands for, and some of the things Arakawa tries to show through her writing.

I want to see Winry come back and do something cool, but even if she doesn't I won't be too disapointed (other than missing her, obviously)
Animeoldtimer
Very good point RoyxRizaFan! It would not fit her character. I am hoping she does come back in a helpful way other than making apple pie. Even if it's to make some chocolate cream pie or key lime! tongue.gif wink.gif laugh.gif
Full Metal Elf
Hmm...I honestly haven't thought about Winry in a while, lol. I've been so caught-up in the Envy and Roy stuff.

Winry will have an important part to play I think. What exactly that'll be, I have no idea. But she influences Ed and Al so much, that I feel like they're going to see her again before anything big that happens at the end with them.

I hope she doesn't die, that would kill Ed (and me T__T). It's possible her and Wrath will confront each other again. Where was Winry last time we saw her?
kkg22104
QUOTE (Full Metal Elf @ Jun 6 2009, 01:44 PM) *
...Where was Winry last time we saw her?

I think in Chapter 84, which is when she promised to bake Ed that apple pie. happy.gif
edxwinryfan
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jun 6 2009, 01:58 PM) *
QUOTE (Full Metal Elf @ Jun 6 2009, 01:44 PM) *
...Where was Winry last time we saw her?

I think in Chapter 84, which is when she promised to bake Ed that apple pie. happy.gif

Yes it was chapter 84 SADLY! sad.gif sad.gif
kimonodragon88
I think Winry will play another significant part sometime soon. Maybe more towards the end of the manga. I don't think she'll be a part of Wrath's pawn because I think she's smarter than to be stuck in that situation again, but I also don't see her waiting around with an apple pie since she's always so tired of waiting.
Hagaren_4ever
Yeah, if Ed and Al returned to Risembool with their bodies back, and she was sooo happy that she cried, blah blah blah, they ate apple pie, blah blah blah, and Ed and Winry end up together somehow,blah blah blah...
... I dunno why, I just think that ending sucks. I want their to be more drama, and DANGER and humour with her character! I don't want it to be all wrapped up and then have her just added in on the end because the writers feel it's an obligation! I want her to be put back SOON, because if you think about it, it's been, like, a year before we've had ANY new Winry material. Think about it! It just makes me angry is all... dry.gif
Chiyo
I have always thought there is more to her love for Ed then just it being a nice part of the story. To me it just seems key, especially how it was so highlighted and we were reminded of it (as we were how Ed possibly feels). Unfortunatly I see it being important as a weapon against either him or her...otherwise...why would Arakawa put it into a manga that would otherwise not need romance.

I don't know if she'll be used as a pawn, in the same way I can't see her being left until the end. Even if it turns out to only be a minor scene she was adament in chpt 84 that she would do all she could...letting her sit there and wait seems a waste of the character she has become.
Forsaken Love
lol i want winry to do something cool, like i dunno, take a bullet for Ed or something, haha i don't want her to die or anything! i want her and ed to get together at the end XD but I want something pretty dramatic, life threaterning and worrying for the reader to happen with the two, and since she is basically the female lead i think thats probable, and I hadn't really thought about it but it has been a very long time since she was last around, getting on for a year now right?
FMAobsessed
If Winry took a bullet for Ed, I would be in shock.

I know this isn't going to happen, but it would be funny if Wrath showed up to where Winry is, and she was baking an apple pie, and then she hit him in the face with it. But once again it is not going to happen.
kkg22104
QUOTE (FMAobsessed @ Jun 19 2009, 12:11 PM) *
If Winry took a bullet for Ed, I would be in shock.

I know this isn't going to happen, but it would be funny if Wrath showed up to where Winry is, and she was baking an apple pie, and then she hit him in the face with it. But once again it is not going to happen.

Shocked that Winry would do that for Ed, or shocked that someone would shoot at Ed? tongue.gif I don't think it's going to happen in the plot, but Winry probably does love him enough to want to protect him.

Lol at the pie-in-the-face Wrath image laugh.gif
Forsaken Love
lol, that would be pretty amusing if Wrath got hit in the face with an Apple pie XD

lulz, it would be an epic edxwin moment if it did happen XD I wonder how Ed would actually react to that? I is curious tongue.gif
RoyxRizaFan
Ha, I really like that pie image XDDD

As for Winry taking a bullet for Ed, I think she does have it in her to do it. I don't think I can see it actually happening, but that's an interesting thought. It'd be an interesting twist for sure.
kkg22104
If Winry did take the bullet though, she won't die...right? sad.gif We have to have both EdxWin and Royai in the ending! I think most people agree that none of these four are going to die.
FMAobsessed
@kkg22104 I hope that Ed, Winry, Roy, Riza, and Al too for that matter don't die. Because we do need an Edwin and Royai ending.

I am glad people like my Winry pie throwing scenario. If I was good at drawing I would so make that a comic.
Forsaken Love
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jun 21 2009, 02:59 AM) *
If Winry did take the bullet though, she won't die...right? sad.gif We have to have both EdxWin and Royai in the ending! I think most people agree that none of these four are going to die.

nyah~ just because someone gets shot doesn't mean they definatly die, very frequently people don't die from bullet wounds XD Ed got impaled by a spikey poll he lived and both Roy and Havoc got impaled by Lust they lived too and you get the idea of course I don't want Winry to die!!!! eeee nooo, there must be a edxwin ending!!! lulz but I want her do to something epic and worthwhile and I'd be really interested to see how Ed would react in such a situation, lol I just said shot because it was the first thing to pop into my head, but it could be anything really right? XD
Animeoldtimer
I just don't know, but I really feel she'll be brought back with Wrath in some way, but not in the way we would expect.

@FMAobsessed laugh.gif I love the pie in the face imagery I have in my head now! It goes along with my image of Winry with a kitchen full of pies and Granny rolling her eyes at her.

Man, I wish I could draw! Anyone want to give it a go? Please? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
lunneth
i'm not to sure but i think she will be used as a pawn. its just too good a plot device to miss
DistantBlue
i'm not to sure but i think she will be used as a pawn. its just too good a plot device to miss

So good of a plot device that its extremely overused by authors today. As much as it would be nice for Winry to come back and we get our confirmation with Edwin, I really don't think she will be a pawn. However, her character will not go to waste til the end.
Forsaken Love
maybe, she might start of been a pawn (is captured etc) but then while imprisioned hears something interesting about the homunculus plot we don't know of yet or something, somehow escapes (and yeh she can do that cause shes awesome XD) and then runs off to warn and join everyone else annnnnnnd then back to my old theory gets badly injured but not die doing something heroic, (i really wanna' see Ed's reaction XD and it would be a great edwin moment)

ok i know thats very loose, brief, farfetched and non-evidency in every way (i was just aiming to guess at similar events that could happen) but id rather something like that to Winry been a damsel in distress, that will annoy me, as a character she obviously doesn't want to be saved all the time, I think she needs a 'make a difference' oppotunity.
kkg22104
QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Jun 24 2009, 05:14 AM) *
...I think she needs a 'make a difference' oppotunity.

I think she already did make a difference by making Ed's automail, because that's her main role in the story. But I know what you mean, I wish Winry could have a chance to do something bigger in the plot. smile.gif
Hagaren_4ever
*sigh* By the way the story is progressing, it looks like Winry won't show up again until they finish the story, and they need to add her on to the end. :'(
Forsaken Love
^ how can you tell that, the story could turn to include her at any point, particually without Wrath officially dead and arakawa doesn't usually include stuff without reason, the fact shes built on ed and winrys relationship and showed winry to be a 'hostage' must be in build up for something. I will personally be very dissopointed if she doesnt turn up to do something epic before the end
Candy Alchemist
Pie maker would be cool!
Chiyo
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jun 27 2009, 07:14 AM) *
QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Jun 24 2009, 05:14 AM) *
...I think she needs a 'make a difference' oppotunity.

I think she already did make a difference by making Ed's automail, because that's her main role in the story. But I know what you mean, I wish Winry could have a chance to do something bigger in the plot. smile.gif

True, but don't forget in her last moments with Ed she once again mentioned doing anything she could to help them (with a rather distressed look on her face). I'm not saying that certainly suggests she will still play a part, but there is a chance she still could. I think this mostly because Ed didn't argue back, as if him brushing it off suggests she has to prove she meant it.
Haru0496
automail automail automail automail
fixing automail is one of winry's hobbies and she cant even forget it or dont do it coz she must fix ed's automail and others
strawberry_pockyness!!!
She come in and kill everyone with her wrenches *duhh* lol jkjk but I really hope she's back again. Arakawa's not one to just leave something hanging. (Of course Edwin HAS to happen with all of the little hints she's been dropping XP).
Hagaren_4ever
I freakin' want her back, man. Like... now. When is she gonna show up? I don't even think they gone without ANY recurring character for this long! The way she comes back has GOT to be epic. Right? After making us wait this long Arakawa's not just gonna have her be waiting for them to come back, right? I mean, that's what made her lame in the first anime series! She had no life! It was all her just waiting and waiting and waiting for the Elric brothers. But, in the manga she has friends other than Ed and Al, she has a job, she's living on her own and showing some independence! PLEASE, Arakawa! Don't have her just sit in Risembool and WAIT!
Forsaken Love
she has to come back!! The whole build up of her and Ed's relationship will be pointless if its not used in something epic before the end, so I'm remaining hopeful of seeing her soon =3
strawberry_pockyness!!!
Guys, come on, there's going to be big "end of the manga fights", Ed's gunna get his arm busted and she's going to fix it XP lol just kidding but I'm so calling it XD. I really hope she has a big important part, or at least not just totally left out. And her and Ed are just too cute <3
Nutters
Hmm. I'm not sure what's going to happen. But I don't think Winry's role in the manga is finished. I mean! Come on! It's Arikawa we're talking about. She hasn't let us down yet! xD Every chapter is just as good and if not better than the last. She's built up Winry's character so much and brought her back more times then I even thought she would. So... I don't know what is planned for her, but I'm sure it's something good.

GAH. I'm so excited. @_@

And for the whole Edward coming hom to an obese Winry is just absolutely hilarious! I think some fanfiction or fanart needs to happen. xDDD
The Bearded One
She’ll probably have her next significant scene after the climax in Central. Her most important role right now is as Ed’s love interest. When taking her skills and location into account she really doesn’t have a whole lot to offer the protagonists in their current situations.
Forsaken Love
I dunno, she seems to have a habit of turning up in places quite unexpected, like up north in Briggs, and she was escorted there to remind Ed of her hostageness, but I dunno it would be very nice if she could have some stage time doing some awesome and not been a hostage or whatever
edxwinryfan
I was kind of hoping that she was going to show up in chapter 100,since it was supposed to be a "big exciting" chapter. But instead we had the return of Gracia and Elicia dry.gif ohmy.gif
Chiyo
To some extent, I was expecting her to turn up in chapter 100 too. I suppose it was her fight with Ed that triggered the expectation. He tells her to get out of there in case something goes wrong and Winry is adament she isn't going anywhere, because he will save them all, simple as that. Not that I WANT her to be proven wrong but I suppose I thought something might happen so that fight with Ed is significant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.