Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 9: Created Feelings - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 7. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 9 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 9 episodes.
REMINDER: This thread is spoiler free zone ONLY for the content of first 9 episode.
If you're going to talk about the UPCOMING event, especially if you would like to talk about certain events that may have some shock values to those who do not know the FMA maga story or story on the first FMA series, please make sure to USE PROPER SPOILERS. Thank you!!

* Where to watch this episode
NOTE: For FMA fans in Italy, Spain, Portugal, Hungary, Czech Republic, the Slovak Republic, Bulgaria, Romania, Yugoslavia, Greece, Sweden, Poland, Finland, Denmark, Norway, the Russian Federation, & Turkey: You can now watch officially subbed (in your country''s language) FMA: Brotherhood episodes in your country!!! Please check the first page of above linked thread for details!!!

*Additionally, the following countries and areas are listed as newly able to access FMA: Brotherhood episodes on Youtube site (though the episodes may not be subbed in the language of your country): Check the list of viewing countries (Please double check Youtube site for details.)

* For FMA fans in Philippines, now you can watch Tagalog dubbed FMA-2 Brotherhood episodes on TV5 every Friday 7:30 PM. (Although, the current airing schedule is about 8 weeks behind the premier of the new episode in Japan. Please check TV5 for more details.)

NOTE: This could change soon, but as of May 31, 2009, North American viewers are NOT being able to watch FMA Brotherhood episodes at Funimation.com sites. Please check this post and few posts around it. UPDATE: as of June 1, 2009, we are expecting/hoping that on-line viewing of FMA: B episodes to resume soon... as reported by ENVY II on here.
UPDATE: As of June 3, 2009, FMA: Brotherhood episodes are back on Funimation.com site for viewing!! UPDATE:2 It's Wed. evening, and episode 9 is already up on Funimation.com, a half-day ahead of regular schedule this week.

* HD Screen caps of this episode to be posted on this link address later

* For all FMA Brotherhood anime fans who do not have access to the official subbed episodes, the transcriptions of English subbed episodes on Fanimation.com will be posted sometime later on Transcritions of official English sub thread.

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, episode title is from official English sub on Funimation.com)
Episode 9: "Created Feelings"
Ed's automail was heavily damaged and Ed was wounded badly during the fight at the Fifth Lab. Ed calls Winry to Central from Resembool to repair his automail. Meantime, Al has been troubled by Barry's words from the Fifth lab, and Al begins to wonder, "Am I really Ed's brother? Or, was my memory fabricated, as well as my being as his brother, by Ed, by attaching a soul to an armor?" Al can not shake off his doubt, and it begins to tear apart Ed and Al's brotherly bond that had been unbreakable till now..

Also, FYI, preview of the next episode (episode 10) from FMA-2 official JP site
(Translation by Tombow, to be filled once the preview is up on the site)
Episode 10: "TBA"
TBA.

Reminder:

For those who had seen the first series of FMA anime, and/or read FMA manga, you can probably guess what's coming next. HOWEVER, please remember that there are some who have not seen FMA-1, nor read managa. I know many of you would like to talk about "the upcoming episode." If you do, please USE PROPER SPOILERS, so that those who have no idea for the future story would not be spoiled. THANK YOU!!! smile.gif

ETA: PROGRAM NOTE:

I would like to see this thread to be filled with discussions about THIS EPISODE, and not overrun by the talk of some content of the future episode. Hence, I would like to ask anyone who would like to talk about the possible content of episode 10, to kindly head over to Future episode discussion thread ... please talk about the possible content of episode 10 on the above linked thread. Thank you!! smile.gif

=======================================

Episode Summary: (To be filled)

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes, to be filled)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
amestris_star
Has anyone else seen the ep?
I'm still crying... I'll comment coherently when the raw is up and I've dried the tears...
Kasumisty
It was that good? :x Damn you, streams.
amestris_star
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ May 31 2009, 10:34 AM) *

Yeps. And next week it's... THAT.

PS. Why don't you use Keyhole?
Kasumisty
QUOTE (amestris_star @ May 31 2009, 10:38 AM) *

For some reason, channel TBS wasn't on the list
black~hayate
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ May 31 2009, 10:39 AM) *
QUOTE (amestris_star @ May 31 2009, 10:38 AM) *

For some reason, channel TBS wasn't on the list

(sorry for offtopic)
It IS! I couldn't find it first, too. You have to type it in "search" or scroll down, but when you scroll it down, you won't see it, drag the scroll bar with the mouse. It's kinda more down on the list.

Why crying? Did they made the scene THAT sad?
Damn, want to see now!
amestris_star
QUOTE (black~hayate @ May 31 2009, 10:45 AM) *
Why crying? Did they made the scene THAT sad?
Damn, want to see now!

Towards the end of the ep, I started bawling my eyes out...
And knowing what's coming, prepare the tissues everyone.

PS. I need the RAW like crazy.
edo little kid
OMG , hey guys you fear me
what happen in ep ....ToT ????
amestris_star
QUOTE (edo little kid @ May 31 2009, 11:48 AM) *
OMG , hey guys you fear me
what happen in ep ....ToT ????

It's Chapter 14 and beginning of 15 of the manga - the one where Ed and Al are in the hospital...
They did a real good job with this one (I ended up crying towards the end).

A preview pic of Ep. 10 (which practically killed me):
here

Source: http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/05/31...brotherhood-09/
edo little kid
Oh!!! Roy !!!!

Kasumisty
Scene at the grave was so sad. "It's raining" part is tearing me apart
Michiyo-
amestris_star: OMG, that pic of Roy...
I'm really going to cry next week.
That will be the saddest episode of FMA, I'm sure.

I wanna watch ep. 9 RAW now!
fullmoon
Wow, what a great episode! I really enjoyed it happy.gif A lot of warmth, emotion and humor smile.gif.

It's great seeing the manga humor! Ed and milk XD hehe (Though i wished they showed Ed all bandaged up after Armstong's tearful hug happy.gif)

I loved Elicia's birthday party scene with Winry and Hughes. It was really well done and has much warmth ^^ I couldn't help but smile. Elicia...i just want to hug her! she's adorable!
Oh my gosh! Hughes with the gun! Great to see that there! Haha!

Really great voiced acting from Rie-chan smile.gif It was really intense.

The scene where Al questions Ed...just, wow...was so good!. To see Ed shaking and slowly walking off....It was a tense moment.... Also Winry repeatingly wacking Al XD Just wonderful ^^ Loved the flashback as well!

The rooftop scene made me cry T-T Once again, really well done. This Al Angst ordeal was done a lot better here than in the first series. It was beautiful and to see Ed and Al make up made me feel so warm inside smile.gif Just perfect!

Great to see Kimbley and Scar! ^0^

All in all, I'm really, really happy happy.gif

Oh no! Hughes next episode! I will definitely be preparing tissues...it's going to make me cry T-T and by looking at the previews...the animation has me in awe, it's stunning. That picture of Roy is amazing...

(lol, sorry for the overuse of 'done so well' XD Couldn't help it.)
Hagaren_4ever
MUST. WATCH. RAW. O_O
kkg22104
I haven't been able to find a raw yet, but looking at the screenshots, it seems like they followed the manga panel by panel, which is great. Anyway, if this episode doesn't make me cry, the next one will. T_T
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ May 31 2009, 07:15 AM) *
I haven't been able to find a raw yet, but looking at the screenshots, it seems like they followed the manga panel by panel, which is great. Anyway, if this episode doesn't make me cry, the next one will. T_T

Is it really? Anime as a medium differs significantly from that of manga, hence, IMO, the story should be adapted with that in mind. Manga panels coming to life is great, don't get me wrong, but what works on paper might not always work on screen. (And vice versa, of course). I'm not convinced just taking the pictures, making them move and adding sound is the way to go if you want to convey an intricate and captivating story.
Kyelinn
Ummm well obviously they would add more fluency then just going panel by panel, but lest you forget dear, this anime is pretty much bordering between a strict to loose adaptation of the manga itself, unlike the original story which branched off from the manga into it's own tell tale story.

Now, getting off-topic but I'm DYING to see this episode! I wish they'd hurry up and upload the raw, dammit! I'll just grab my manga and follow along but so far it sounds amazing! And next episode...;___; Hughessss...
kkg22104
QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ May 31 2009, 10:35 AM) *
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ May 31 2009, 07:15 AM) *

Is it really? Anime as a medium differs significantly from that of manga, hence, IMO, the story should be adapted with that in mind. Manga panels coming to life is great, don't get me wrong, but what works on paper might not always work on screen. (And vice versa, of course). I'm not convinced just taking the pictures, making them move and adding sound is the way to go if you want to convey an intricate and captivating story.

Just finished watching the raw. Really really good episode!

I think what I was trying to say is if you freeze the anime at some moments, it matches up almost exactly with a manga panel. Of course it's not going to be panel after panel and just making the pictures move some, they added some extra scenes too (like Al seeing the toy robot...) and made it flow together. I'm pretty sure the dialogue matches up pretty close too.

@ Kyelinn: The raw is up happy.gif
Claudius
So they didn't speed through the Elysia birthday. I wonder, is the sexy 'Hughes-without-glasses' sequence hotter than Anime1's depiction? (the manga...yum!)
Y'know, Birthdays in Anime are omens...
SonPan
Can someone PM we with a link of the Raw plaase
Alzea
Ah, finally, Iíve seen the raw version and whoa, great episode but still I need subs. Am I the only one who want to kill the 'Fullmetal Alchemist' voice? Really, I hate it. Anyway Hughes family and Al FTW~! So many scenes from the manga biggrin.gif And next episode...Iíll be crying, thatís for sure...Darn, sad Roy is sad, he need a hug~! Riza should cheer him up I wonder about next episodeís flashback, I think they might give us gaiden from BLUE or maybe just few scenes from 15th volume who knows, but 'His Battlefield Once More' (it was the title, right?) would be nice ;P
Michiyo-
Just finished watching the raw. I enjoyed this episode. The animation was good, too.
Loved that there were so many scenes taken directly from the manga.

I really liked the music during Ed and Al's conversation on the rooftop.

Can't wait to watch the ep. subbed. smile.gif

QUOTE (Alzea @ May 31 2009, 05:36 PM) *
Am I the only one who want to kill the 'Fullmetal Alchemist' voice?

No, you're not the only one.
SonPan
Just watched that raw and I was happy with it...I just need the subs... NOW!
kkg22104
I was just rewatching the raw version I have and I noticed that the usual intro is gone, the one where the guy talks about the taboo of human transmutation and all that. They did include the summary of the previous episode...Was that just my version or did they skip it the intro this time?
black~hayate
Same here, I diddn't see the full intro, too.
I really hope that we will get a new opening with episode 10!
Fubuki
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ May 31 2009, 09:16 AM) *
I was just rewatching the raw version I have and I noticed that the usual intro is gone, the one where the guy talks about the taboo of human transmutation and all that. They did include the summary of the previous episode...Was that just my version or did they skip it the intro this time?

No, the intro was completely gone - all of us who were watching live were really surprised. It was cool, though, because you don't really need to see that at this point in the show, anyway, and it meant that there was an extra 20-30 seconds of time available to the episode's material. smile.gif

I'll post a review sometime later, when I can form my thoughts coherently. tongue.gif
kkg22104
QUOTE (black~hayate @ May 31 2009, 12:20 PM) *
Same here, I diddn't see the full intro, too.
I really hope that we will get a new opening with episode 10!

Okay, cool, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. laugh.gif

Don't they usually change openings and endings every 13 episodes?
Michiyo-
I think we'll get a new opening after the Greed arc, because Greed was also included in the recent one. So the new op. could be around episode 15.

Still waiting for subs.
edo little kid
Hello~~~*
I watch the episode finally ^o^/
-------------------------
I loved it so much !!!

It's funny at first ^.^
and sad at end T.T

------------
Winry-chan , Meas & his family are sooo Cute !! <3

------------

the art was Cool !

--------------

I enjoyed in this ep !! ^^

they are doing great job in this episode !!

Awwwiii I can't wait next ep !!

QUOTE (kkg22104 @ May 31 2009, 10:27 AM) *
Okay, cool, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. laugh.gif

Don't they usually change openings and endings every 13 episodes?

Yes , they are cool.gif !!
I think , they will change Op/En after ep 13 !
rolleyes.gif
Hey
Huh, the boring alchemy intro is gone. Never really found it important anyway, at least the recap tells you what went on before if you missed the previous ep or what but that intro just seems to stall time...

This wasn't half as boring as I expected to be (I never really liked this part, because I always thought it kinda unreal that after traveling to find their cure for 3 years Al would suddenly doubt Ed and his own existence like that), without deviating much from the manga. I genuinely felt worried...wonder how the first anime pulled that off. (didn't watch)
The flashback part with Ed in bed saying Al probably hates him and stuff made me cry (I cry easily anyway) ;_; And Winry's wrench bash reminded me of Maka in Soul Eater for some reason :P
But somehow I thought Al didn't seem...emo enough?

And that 'Fullmetal Alchemist' guy, can't he just stick to saying it normally? I'll probably still be kinda *okay* with his voice from the first few eps, but now I can't stand his weird voicing and attempts to sound girly :|

Next episode is coming too fast ;_; Well at least he'll reappear in the Ishbal flashbacks... Pfft I still need my tissues. I'm inclined to cry everytime I read that chapter.
Btw totally irrelevant note, but Hawkeye isn't supposed to be wearing her usual black shirt inside her uniform during/after the funeral, but the formal white shirt that Roy wears all the time because it's a formal occasion and all.
I can't believe I notice this stuff ~_~'
amestris_star
QUOTE (Hey @ May 31 2009, 07:38 PM) *
Btw totally irrelevant note, but Hawkeye isn't supposed to be wearing her usual black shirt inside her uniform during/after the funeral, but the formal white shirt that Roy wears all the time because it's a formal occasion and all.

Dang, you're right. I was 'fangirling' the preview and I hadn't noticed it. Thanks for the tip (it's not irrelevant +P)
kkg22104
QUOTE (amestris_star @ May 31 2009, 01:51 PM) *
QUOTE (Hey @ May 31 2009, 07:38 PM) *

Dang, you're right. I was 'fangirling' the preview and I hadn't noticed it. Thanks for the tip (it's not irrelevant +P)

After you guys mentioned that, I looked up Chapter 16 of the manga, which is the funeral, and it looks like Hawkeye is wearing a skirt. Not a mini skirt though. laugh.gif
FMAobsessed
I am falling behind on watching the series. I still need to watch episode 8. But I am having trouble finding a website that will work. Episode 9 and 10 seem like they are going to be tearjerkers. Especially for me, and I do cry easily.
amestris_star
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ May 31 2009, 07:54 PM) *
After you guys mentioned that, I looked up Chapter 16 of the manga, which is the funeral, and it looks like Hawkeye is wearing a skirt. Not a mini skirt though. laugh.gif

That I am sure about. It's the gala/formal uniform. Riza used to wear that even in her early days (e.g. when Roy went to Resembool to fetch Edward).

I hadn't noticed the shirt though in the preview... ah too bad, I love the scene anyway +P
Kirara
Hey guys looks what cameo appearance from the manga they kept it smile.gif

Michiyo-
^I noticed that, too. I'm glad they weren't left out from that scene. smile.gif
Kasumisty
Well, I've watched the episode and I must say that animation is bad. Very bad. Even worse than in episode three (when to think about it, it actually look pretty good now, lol) AND episode 7. Come on, when Winry walks at the station, no people in the back move. They're just still images. The similiar scene is the one with Scars in Slums. People talking is bad, too.

They cut some fine scenes, like one with Armstrong and with mechanical mouse (Elisia's birthday party). I don't see a point of adding new ones - even if the scene with a winding robot was kinda cinematographic, it was pretty useless and has taken at least a minute from the actual episode.

The summaries of the previous episodes. Completely useless. Hello, I have seen the previous episode and I'm still able to recall it after a week, hello! I haven't seen the intro as well, but I think it got cut out. (althrough, I've seen two versions of RAW with the same cutout - so I'm not so sure?)

Why Winry got another eyecatcher? Not that she changed or aged (as the ones with young Elrics)! They could put Armstrong here instead. Really.

Wow, enough ranting. I'm sorry, but I've read all that positive opinions and expected something good or even perfect. I was kinda dissapointed.

BUT

I reaally liked the music. It was co climatic and beautiful. The one with breaking the mirror, the one with Al yelling at Ed and the one in the fighting scene. Also, they used that funny theme from Nina's (;;) episode. So all the music was situated perfectly. I want OST.

The atmosphere. It was sad, and when I write sad I mean it ;; I didn't cry though, I did so when reading the manga. But still.

Yay Izumi and Shig! I'm so happy they kept this.

Also, I was worried if the flashback with young Ed will be here, but it was. Romi Paku whining in that high-ish voice was just, like.... I have no words to express my feelings D: Also Al yelling - that seemed so real.
Trakonda
..Seriously. That "Fullmetal Alchemist" guy has gone TOO FAR. What the heck was with that giggling?! XD Bleh. I actually had to rewind the episode and listen to it again, just to make sure if my hearing was right. Sadly, it was.. x_x

BUT, apart from that, this episode was REALLY well done. The music was beautiful as always, and Al sounded tremendously good when he screamed at Ed. Wow.. just wow. o_o Definitely better than how it was adapted in the first FMA.

I think I can officially say that I fell love with this ep. <3 And the next one is going to be even sadder.. Hughes! ;_;
ShadowCat17
I kind of wish they would do the thing with Bradley and the melons. I thought that was hilarious in the manga. Anyway this was a great episode - now that they are finally slowing down I think they are getting better as they go.
kkg22104
QUOTE (ShadowCat17 @ May 31 2009, 04:52 PM) *
I kind of wish they would do the thing with Bradley and the melons. I thought that was hilarious in the manga. Anyway this was a great episode - now that they are finally slowing down I think they are getting better as they go.

I'm pretty sure that's coming up in the next episode. The melon scene made me laugh laugh.gif
Imbris
I need to give a heads up to people looking for the subbed episode..
DO NOT download from the fansub group "Punch". I watched about 30 seconds and had to stop - the "English" was completely broken with spelling and grammar errors multiple times in every line. If you need a sub...wait for a better one.
Kasumisty
Damn, too bad, I have already 50%. But the Polish subs on the official YT channel aren't good as well, so I think these will do...
hand-made-city
At first I completely hated the "Fullmetal Alchemist" guy who does that weird voice........ but now I just laugh every time I hear it! This time was certainly a classic, with that giggle! Disgusting, but funny!

I liked this episode well enough, but I need to watch it again with subtitles. I know I missed a lot, which is why I didn't really feel much of an emotional impact. Moreover I'm looking forward to next week's episode! That one's going to be something special.
amestris_star
QUOTE (Imbris @ May 31 2009, 11:16 PM) *
I need to give a heads up to people looking for the subbed episode..
DO NOT download from the fansub group "Punch". I watched about 30 seconds and had to stop - the "English" was completely broken with spelling and grammar errors multiple times in every line. If you need a sub...wait for a better one.

Which means I'll wait for the better ones... I'm going to bed anyways so there's plenty of time +P
Thanks for that info ^^

As for the melons seen, I think they'll keep it, considering that Bradley will appear +P
ShadowCat17
I watched the entire Punch subbed version, it was horrendous the entire way through. awful awful subs lol
edxwinryfan
I have to say that after watching this episode, I liked the music in the first anime much better.... Anyway overall the episode was pretty good,mostly because there was the first EdxWinry moment biggrin.gif
SneakyRuler
First thanks to those who warned us against bad quality subtitles, the Eclipse's just released their subs so everything should be fine biggrin.gif
Again, from what I understood (and remembered from manga) this episode was well done and pacing nicely. The moment I looked so much forward to (Winry + wrench) followed manga exactly, to every last line. Elicia's birthday party was amazing, especially after Winry joined Elicia fanclub smile.gif Romi Paku was as great as always, her 11-year-old Ed left me moved...
Kyelinn
If anybody has a link to the subs, could you please PM me? =) Even if they are horrible lol so long as you comprehend what's saying, I don't really care. tongue.gif
Krokgard
Nice one! Maybe my fav 'till now!
Very funny in the first part, and I noticed that this time many drawings were the same as the manga. Also the Scar part was really well-made.

In the "what will happen" part are shown some scenes from the Ishbal War. Do you think it's possible that in the next episode we'll see the facts of the chapters 58-61 (the 15į volume)? I hope we won't, I loved that chapters and I would prefer an episode or two dedicated to them, not to see them condensed in an half-episod (the other half of the next one will surely be occuped by you-know-what), and not so soon in the series.
Sword Alchemist
This episode was great. The scene where Maria slaps Ed was much better than it was in the first series.

I love that face Denny made right after Maria slapped Ed. Almost as if he felt Ed's pain. Maybe he too has personally experienced Maria's stinging slap of love.

Too bad they left out the scene where Denny felt all insulted because Ed told him not to compare Al with a "love obsessed sergeant" after Denny thought Al was acting strange because he was in love.

I really like the portrayal of Denny in this series better than the last series. I feel like he's actually a character and not just Maria's sidekick. He even took part in punishing Ed and Al (even though he got a broken hand as a result)

I always get mad at Al because he was so willing to believe a maniac he only met one time over his brother who he has known his whole life.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.