Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I Watch FMA-1 Or FMA:B First?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
qulup
Yesterday, I discovered FMA:B on the new Hulu client (http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop) and really like it. I watched all episodes of FMA:B, then decided to do a little research on the series and found out about the original series.

Should I just watch the FMA:B series and wait until it's over to go back to the original FMA, or should I go back and watch the original series now?

Thanks for your input!
ninryu
fma of course.
Alligatorbucket
In my opinion they are two completely different shows. The original series is already done though so it would make more sense to just go ahead and watch that if you don't want to wait.
kkg22104
FMA:B is based off the manga, so if you read the manga and really want to see the animated version then continue watching Brotherhood.
The first FMA season had its own story starting about episode 30 or so, but all the episodes before that pretty much follow the manga.

In my opinion, you should go ahead and watch FMA in your free time because all 51 episodes are out, then on Sundays watch FMA:B. biggrin.gif

P.S. Make sure to take a look at the manga too! smile.gif
qulup
Thanks for your input everyone! Looks like I'll be watching the original FMA, then check out Brotherhood after that.
Kasumisty
The second series. You would compare two of them without any sense if you watch first first..
Kirara
FMA Brotherhood because it is a closer adaption of the original manga which came before the first animated series. And not to mention you can watch the episodes legally & for free if you live in the US, Canada, most of Europe and Asia. smile.gif

And wow I can't believe people are actually discouraging people from watching Brotherhood first. I think it is great that new people are interested in this series that have not seen the first anime or read the manga. Otherwise the only people left watching will already know what happens (at least for the parts covered by the manga and 1st series) and that's no fun.
Tezrath
Personally I think if you just started with FMA:B that you should stick with it... and watch the other FMA after.

I'd actually love to see the responses from someone who is watching brotherhood first. Because for a lot of us who have either watched the first fma or read the manga (or both) it changes how we view brotherhood. We are all biased and have expectations of the current show based on the work we had seen previously... which makes it hard to get a sense of the 'impact' certain scenes have (or don't have) because none of it is a surprise at this point in the timeline
ShadowCat17
I think it doesn't matter. The first series was incredible. FMA:B hasn't had enough episodes aired to really make a judgment, but being based more closely on the manga, we have high expectations because we know that the manga is amazing. From my perspective, the more FMA, the better. I don't really know which one would be *better* to watch first, but it would be a tragedy for you to miss out on the first series, so I say go with the first series first. That way you can get pretty much unlimited FMA for awhile and it will be awesome. Then switch gears and put aside all assumptions you might have from the first series and move to FMA:B. There is some overlap in the first 10 or so episodes, but by the time you finish the first series, enough episodes of FMA:B will be out such that you can just marathon right through the early episodes, which move more quickly in FMA:B anyway...
Little Washu
I would say the first season. I prefer it to the 2nd, personally. You get to know characters like Hughes better.
penguintruth
Largely irrelevant.

A hardcore manga fan may ask you to entirely ignore the first series, due to its detraction from the original material, but I would suggest giving it a go. I certainly count it as one of the greatest anime programs I've seen, out of nearly two hundred.

However, it doesn't matter, since the new series and the old one are in entirely different continuities, the first going off to do its own thing (at the insistance of Arakawa herself, I've read), whereas the new one sticks closer to the original manga.

Either way, there really is no wrong way to go at FMA. The first series was excellent, in my opinion, and the second one is certainly shaping up as well, and may surpass the first yet. But they're different beasts, so just pick one and go for it!

(It may be easier to start with the first, since it's already finished, but don't feel like you have to finish it before diving into the new one, unless you'd rather not mix up events.)
Kale Mustang
Doesn't really matter, but the best way to approach both series is that they are completely independent of one another, despite some overlap with characters/settings/plotlines.

The first series was extremely well-done and is still one of the most engrossing series that I've seen. The story follows the original manga storyline to a point, before it diverges into it's own original work.

FMA: Brotherhood, on the other hand, is more closely related to the manga as the manga's reached a more mature point than where it was when the first series began. Aside from the first episode, Brotherhood has followed the manga's storyline and is shaping up to stand on its own merits. The pacing may seem faster than the first series or to those who have never been exposed to the manga, but since the manga storyline is extremely dense Brotherhood is doing an excellent job of maintaining the core of the chapters that are being adapted.
AA battery
It doesn't really matter. The previous series has a good story too, it's just that you need to keep in mind that the two anime series are DIFFERENT, that's all, and try not to compare them when you watch them =)

Ignoring the fact that the previous series doesn't really have the same theme as the manga, the previous FMA series is indeed one of the greatest anime. I love the music and detailed development in the previous FMA series, whereas the story in manga is definitely a lot more brilliant.

So, watch both. =P Since the previous series is already done and over with, you might as well watch the whole thing + movie at one go ;D
Aribelle
I personally would watch FMA first to get introduced to the characters because FMA: B moves pretty quickly (I think if I wasn't familiar with the series I'd have been a little confused :/), but if that's not a problem for you then it really doesn't matter which you start with smile.gif
Sal_san
Watch the first FMA. The first half of the anime is somewhat based on the manga, and they introduced the characters better. You may want to watch that before watching FMA: B.
FullMetalFist
If you are new to the either series, I would go with FMA: Brotherhood. It is a great place to start if you are new to the anime. Then you can go back and watch the first series, and see what makes that series so amazing. You could also do both, but then you might get confused. Honestly FMA: Brotherhood is amazing and so is the original FMA series.
Forgiven
Doesn't really matter. I mean, I would probably watch both if I were you.
mazam
I would say you could even enjoy both at the same time. Brotherhood you'd have to watch weekly since it's new, but you can watch the first series whenever you want because everything is out already. To supplement Brotherhood I would recommend getting a hold of the manga since it's the source material.
Forlong
I'd recommend watching the first series. The reason being that the fast pace of "Brotherhood" might become confusing.
Kirara
QUOTE (Forlong @ Jun 3 2009, 02:25 PM) *
I'd recommend watching the first series. The reason being that the fast pace of "Brotherhood" might become confusing.

Well they watched this far and weren't confused wink.gif

This whole confusing thing seems to be something that old fans believe new fans should feel even though I have seen not one new fan confused. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many new fans. That is why I wish people wouldn't push new fans away because I would like to see what new fans think of Brotherhood who are not influenced by the 1st series or manga.
Forsaken Love
I recomend reading the manga happy.gif but lol er if you don't want to do that mmm hate to say it but I sugest watching the first anime first, as the begining introduces the characters more an stuff, just prepare for an incrediably more awesome story when you get into Brotherhood, really they are two completley different shows though with pracitically completley different storys, when they get into it there is basically no simerlarities between them, bar the same set of main characters. I do know people who wanted to get the proper story and went strait into brotherhood and the manga and skipped the 1st anime entierly butttttttttt lol im not been much help here XD

QUOTE (Kirara @ Jun 3 2009, 11:46 PM) *
QUOTE (Forlong @ Jun 3 2009, 02:25 PM) *

Well they watched this far and weren't confused wink.gif

This whole confusing thing seems to be something that old fans believe new fans should feel even though I have seen not one new fan confused. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many new fans. That is why I wish people wouldn't push new fans away because I would like to see what new fans think of Brotherhood who are not influenced by the 1st series or manga.

nyah~ oh bdw I got someone into fma and they started with Brotherhood and said they understood everything, they got so hooked though they read the whole manga after like episode 5 or something XD on the other hand, someone else I know watched the first episode of Brotherhood and just stopped 'cause they didnt get it all, guess it varies from person to person eh? I don't think they gave it a good enough chance though.
Mhacy
in my opinion.
it doesnt really matter what you watched first.
since the FMA:B is a remake of the first series.
so it begin on the very beginning.
it is really up to you if you want to watch the both series.
though for me Brotherhood was the best. lol.gif
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
well watch the first season and read the manga then watch fma brotherhood. that is what i think that you should do.
Forsaken Love
QUOTE (xXdark_angel_nekoXx @ Jun 12 2009, 01:32 PM) *
well watch the first season and read the manga then watch fma brotherhood. that is what i think that you should do.

Thats what I did ^ (mainly 'cause I was too lazy to read the manga first, even though I heard it was better.) The first anime is good, but the manga and brotherhood are COMPLETLEY different, so I don't think it really matters, my only bit of advice really is not to watch fma 1 at the same time to reading the manga or watching brotherhood XD
Trakonda
If you have read the manga, I'd suggest you to start off with Brotherhood. If not, then I guess it really doesn't matter.

The thing is, the first 20 (?) episodes of the original FMA are quite identical to Brotherhood's at the moment. Brotherhood skips these parts pretty quickly probably because of this fact. So.. if you feel like, you could watch some of the first fma's episodes to get some better introduction to the happenings in the beginning, then when the plot gets divorced from the manga plot, switch back to Brotherhood.

..or something similiar. I don't know how easy this would be, since even Brotherhood hasn't got all the way to manga-only plot yet. Watching original to the certain point and switching to the new one who even isn't as far yet? I dunno, but with this speed they're going, it's not going to be a long wait. smile.gif
ignore this part. Sorry. XD

..heh, no matter how I try, my writing ended up sounding so complicated. XD Umm.. maybe start off with the first one. You know, as someone already mentioned, it's already finished. If you have tons of free time, you could be able to finish all the 51 episodes in no time, then continue watching Brotherhood every week.
Forsaken Love
QUOTE (Trakonda @ Jun 20 2009, 09:06 PM) *
If you have read the manga, I'd suggest you to start off with Brotherhood. If not, then I guess it really doesn't matter.

The thing is, the first 20 (?) episodes of the original FMA are quite identical to Brotherhood's at the moment. Brotherhood skips these parts pretty quickly probably because of this fact. So.. if you feel like, you could watch some of the first fma's episodes to get some better introduction to the happenings in the beginning, then when the plot gets divorced from the manga plot, switch back to Brotherhood.

..or something similiar. I don't know how easy this would be, since even Brotherhood hasn't got all the way to manga-only plot yet. Watching original to the certain point and switching to the new one who even isn't as far yet? I dunno, but with this speed they're going, it's not going to be a long wait. smile.gif

..heh, no matter how I try, my writing ended up sounding so complicated. XD Umm.. maybe start off with the first one. You know, as someone already mentioned, it's already finished. If you have tons of free time, you could be able to finish all the 51 episodes in no time, then continue watching Brotherhood every week.

eee no! sorry i have to disagree on the first point, the beginings are similar but in no way identical, fma 1 anime is very different in the begining, its based on the same events but have a completly different twist to them that MATTERS a lot later on

what about the whole thing with the fuhrers 'assistant' that starts up within the first 20 eps and would be very confusing since it dont happen in brotherhood and im not gonna spoil anything for either series but they are very different, you can't mix and match it would be very confusing
Trakonda
Gah, I guess you're right! Sorry, I didn't come to think it that closely. x_x true, there are some differences in both of them.. (haven't watched the first FMA in a while, my memory slipped. )

Well then, just forget what I said about watching both of them together. biggrin.gif
TheSentinel
My inclination would be to watch FMA: Brotherhood. But then again, I am huge fan of the manga.

Don't get me wrong, the original FMA anime is what I saw first. That got me into the manga, which then left me slightly, oh so very slightly, disappointed in the original FMA anime.

Ultimately, both... well all 3, you really should read the manga as well.
Broken Chouchou
My advice would be to watch Brotherhood first. Then to go on reading the manga. That way you'll avoid any possible disapointment. That's my theory when watching movies based on books as well; you see the movie, and if you like it, you are probably going to love the book, which is in most cases way more fleshed out and deeper in content.

Anyway, after having seen Brotherhood, which I imagine is a pretty good show if you don't know anything about the manga, reading the manga will be like getting more of the sweet stuff, only with additional flavors and bonus content.

Then, watch Fma 1. You'll then probably view it as an alternative interpretation, which is different, yes, but still really good.
Nzm
Well, it doesn't really matter if you read manga. But if you don't - watch FAM first and Brotherhood later. After some time, original FMA starts to be much different from manga but before that, it's more detailed about the events.

Brotherhood is generally better and is more similar to manga, but it skips too much ;c
Tsumiko
honestly I was scared to watch FMA just after watching few AMV's on YouTube. The main scene that made me so scared was Roys suicidal try (and fullmetal vs. flame with this strange ending) . So I think if one knows manga and got used to characters and their features, should probably watch Brotherhood first.
eddman
~ Watching Fma-1 Before Fma: Brotherhood: How Many Episodes Of Fma-1 Should I Watch? ~

I know that others have already made this question, but the answer wasn't definite. So, let me put it like this:
I'm planning to watch 28 episodes of FMA, in order to not to miss anything important that is also in manga, then start watching FMA: Brotherhood.
Is it enough? or maybe I should watch more?
Kirara
QUOTE (eddman @ Aug 26 2009, 01:52 PM) *
I know that others have already made this question, but the answer wasn't definite. So, let me put it like this:
I'm planning to watch 28 episodes of FMA, in order to not to miss anything important that is also in manga, then start watching FMA: Brotherhood.
Is it enough? or maybe I should watch more?

Watching the first FMA is not a supplement to the early parts of the manga. Even in the early parts of the first FMA anime there are differences from the manga storyline (the differences just get even greater as the series goes on.) If you want to find out what is missing from Brotherhood then your best bet is to read the manga.
eddman
Yes, I'm aware of that, but the differences aren't that big. As far as I know it's after episode 28 that first FMA became really different compared to manga. Am I right?
Kirara
QUOTE (eddman @ Aug 26 2009, 02:36 PM) *
Yes, I'm aware of that, but the differences aren't that big. As far as I know it's after episode 28 that first FMA became really different compared to manga. Am I right?

Actually yes in some cases they are even in the early episodes. If you consider the fact that later events build on those earlier scenes than even minor changes can have a big impact.
eddman
OK, read this. http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=95318
Now it clearly says: "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood will deviate from the story of the first TV series and proceed to a brand new chapter from July 12th (episode 15)."
I just want to know, at which episode, first anime completely stops following manga? that's it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fullm...hemist_episodes
Kirara
QUOTE (eddman @ Aug 26 2009, 04:24 PM) *
OK, read this. http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=95318
Now it clearly says: "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood will deviate from the story of the first TV series and proceed to a brand new chapter from July 12th (episode 15)."
I just want to know, which episode that is in the first anime?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fullm...hemist_episodes

You are not getting what I am saying: Look I've seen the first series, read all the manga, and I am currently watching Brotherhood.

Yes the first series covers scenes of the manga to a point. But even those scenes it covers are different from the manga version.

For someone who has already seen the first series but has not read the manga it would be understandable why they would be frustrated at the early episodes of Brotherhood because they are similar to the first series (but similar does not mean the same). That is why that information is on MAL because it is telling these viewers that Brotherhood will eventually become completely different from the first series by episode 15.

But I don't understand why anyone would watch the early episodes of the first FMA and then the later episodes of Brotherhood. That makes no sense to me because you are literally watching two different versions of a story. And they don't actually correlate when you put them together.
eddman
Man, I KNOW THAT. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to watch FMA until some point, then watch Brotherhood's later episodes. I plan to watch Brotherhood from the beginning. I just want to watch those episodes of FMA first, that have something in common with Brotherhood. That's it.
Anyways, guess I found the answer myself. It has to be episode 34. Maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks.
Kirara
QUOTE (eddman @ Aug 26 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Man, I KNOW THAT. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to watch FMA until some point, then watch Brotherhood's later episodes. I plan to watch Brotherhood from the beginning. I just want to watch those episodes of FMA first, that have something in common with Brotherhood. That's it.
Anyways, guess I found the answer myself. It has to be episode 34. Maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks.

It seems a strange way to watch the series if you ask me. And I am telling you the first FMA will not fill in for what it is missing in Brotherhood from the manga. But yes I guess episode 34 of the first series is where they stop following the manga storyline at all.

And don't get me wrong I am not trying to discourage you from watching the first series. If you are going to watch it up to episode 34 you might as well watch it to the end. Just don't use it as a supplement for the early parts of the manga. Brotherhood does leave a lot of things out from the manga but it's still a closer adaption of the manga even in the earlier episodes.
eddman
Yes, thank you. That's the answer I was seeking. FMA 1 completely stops following manga after episode 34. Done.
I was planning to have a look at manga too.
The reason that I don't want to watch FMA till the end, is that I don't like animes that part ways with the manga, like Gantz and Berserk. I really liked those mangas and their animes just spoiled them. And yes, I know. FMA is a great anime, but as I said, it stopped following manga. I may watch it till the end though.
Tombow
All right then, seems that's settled, right? ^^ That was an interesting question. Thank you for the fine advise, Kirara, and welcome to our board, eddman! Hope you will enjoy watching the series! biggrin.gif

Closing the thread. I'll be adding these posts to Should I watch FMA:1 or FMA:B first? thread later. I think this discussion would add a nice dimension to that topic. smile.gif

ETA: Thread merged.
Fallen Gemini
As of now, l think the first series has a better beginning than brotherhood. Prior to Hugh's death, the first anime somewhat follows the manga more closely than brotherhood. I mean, FMAB is made to be more accurate to the manga than FMA, yet they remove some chars/eps/parts so that the series can enter the manga arc quicker

In my opinion, this causes some problems since it makes Hugh's death less emotional in FMAB. It also makes some important eps less important. For instance, other than one line, Rose's devotation to revive her boyfriend is greatly omitted in the new series. Even some "filler" eps like the bandits on the train(which is also in the manga) isn't seen in this series.

I prefer FMA more than FMAB, however, that is because l have seen the entire first series whereas FMAB is still going. IMO, FMAB is actually getting better after the Hugh arc whereas the eps now focuses on the characters rather than just to the story. I wouldn't be suprised if l would end up liking FMAB more than FMA.

I do not think it would hurt watching FMA first since l believe Bones intentionally made the FMAB the way it is so that the audience can watch FMA and see the difference in FMAB
Tombow
Reminder:

Presumably, some people who hasn't watched the series may read this thread for some advise on which series to watch first, etc., and hence we ask everyone to be very vigilant with any spoilers for both FMA series when posting your opinion and advise on this thread. Thanks!! biggrin.gif
Kirara
QUOTE (Fallen Gemini @ Aug 27 2009, 03:00 PM) *
As of now, l think the first series has a better beginning than brotherhood. Prior to Hugh's death, the first anime somewhat follows the manga more closely than brotherhood. I mean, FMAB is made to be more accurate to the manga than FMA, yet they remove some chars/eps/parts so that the series can enter the manga arc quicker

In my opinion, this causes some problems since it makes Hugh's death less emotional in FMAB. It also makes some important eps less important. For instance, other than one line, Rose's devotation to revive her boyfriend is greatly omitted in the new series. Even some "filler" eps like the bandits on the train(which is also in the manga) isn't seen in this series.

I prefer FMA more than FMAB, however, that is because l have seen the entire first series whereas FMAB is still going. IMO, FMAB is actually getting better after the Hugh arc whereas the eps now focuses on the characters rather than just to the story. I wouldn't be suprised if l would end up liking FMAB more than FMA.

I do not think it would hurt watching FMA first since l believe Bones intentionally made the FMAB the way it is so that the audience can watch FMA and see the difference in FMAB

I disagree that FMA one is closer to the manga in the earlier parts. Yes it has some scenes from the manga that do not appear in Brotherhood but it also makes many huge changes.

The Nina story is almost completely different (well not what happens to her but everything else)
The Lab 5 story is expanded
Al's memories storyline is handled completely differently
And on another note while Hughes does have a bigger part in the first series than Brotherhood. He just happens to have a smaller part in the manga to begin with.

And yes certain side stories like the train incident & the coal mine episode make it to the first series but these are handled differently from the manga versions of these stories. Especially the coal mine with the introduction of Lyra.

Then you have things like Mahjal, the Phantom Thief, and the Other Elric Brothers stories which do not appear in the manga at all. So yes Brotherhood cuts things from the manga but overall it's still closer to the manga version (note: I didn't say better)

As I said previously the only way to really find out what is missing from Brotherhood that is in the manga is to read the manga.
eddman
If Bones did that on purpose, then they both succeeded and failed. Succeded in making me watch so later I'll be able to see the differences between it and FMAB, but failed in making me to finish the series. 34 episodes are enough for me.
There is no point to continue watching something that isn't even written by the original author herself. I mean, Germany, Britain, WWI, wrong.
I'll begin watching FMAB, starting tomorrow.
FullMetalFist
Just throw it all into a big blender and hit liquefy, and then see what you get. A big FMA smoothie, it goes down smooth any way, every way.
Dark-Winds
I think it's good to see the first series first, and then read the manga.

That's the way I did it ^__^ Both series are great and I feel like you can appreciate them both more that way.
xUltimate_Shieldx
QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 21 2011, 08:48 PM) *

That's the way I did it ^__^ Both series are great and I feel like you can appreciate them both more that way.

I agree. When you watch anime1 first, you can fully appreciate it without any bias. Than, you can read the manga and fully appreciate the original. Then after that, you can watch Brotherhood to appreciate the scenes they adapted well from the manga. I think that's the best order. Otherwise I feel like if you see the manga or Brotherhood first you're too bias for the original to really get the first anime.
Misty- Nala
QUOTE (xUltimate_Shieldx @ Jan 22 2011, 05:51 AM) *
QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 21 2011, 08:48 PM) *

I agree. When you watch anime1 first, you can fully appreciate it without any bias. Than, you can read the manga and fully appreciate the original. Then after that, you can watch Brotherhood to appreciate the scenes they adapted well from the manga. I think that's the best order. Otherwise I feel like if you see the manga or Brotherhood first you're too bias for the original to really get the first anime.

I most definately agree. Both the series are so so different from each other. The characters have different goals, the focus is different, art is different, music is different, some voice actors are different. It's pretty difficult to even talk about these two in the same sentence.

Yes, there is the danger of not being able to appreaciate the first anime in case you stick to the original from the beginning. Some people tend to feel stronger for the version they first see.
rosieechan
I watched the first anime first, then Brotherhood, then read the manga. But really, it doesn't matter. You can do whatever as long as you remember to watch/read all of FMA. tongue.gif You'll enjoy it all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.