Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I Be Honest? I'm FMA-1 fan and I'm Not Feeling Hot About Having another FMA (Remake) anime
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
FullMetalFist
NOTE and PLEA (by Tombow): This thread is not a "debate" thread. Members who think this new series is a great idea, I ask you to please stay away from this thread (unless, specifically invited by posters of this thread, to aid in their understanding by answering their questions, etc. ... then I think it's quite all right to add your post, IMO. ^^) and try to give these people their own space where they can safely express their "unfavorable"/"uneasy" feelings toward having this remake of the first FMA anime series. Thank you!! smile.gif
===========

I get it, the fact that they want to make a series closer to the manga. It still is kind of annoying though, we had one series and now there a totally different one. I wander in the end which one will prevail. I mean I have been watching the new series and it is pretty cool. I think in the end the original series was amazing. I guess what I am trying to say is I do not know what to do or how to feel about all this nonsense. I think this was a bad decision, making a new series that is. They should have just let well enough alone. Who knows the Brotherhood series could turn out awesome, and that would be great in its own right but still I can not help having a terrible feeling about all this. I guess this was more of a rant than a question. Having two of something is not always better. dry.gif
Tombow
@FullMetalFist - Aha, I'm glad you actually came out and classified it as your rant, and I think yours is a very valid opinion. So much so that I'm going to make it into a thread where people who do no like the idea of having two separate series can voice their opinions without the enthusiasts of this "manga based" FMA series coming in and quieting these voices.

Now, please don't get me wrong... I'm actually a huge FMA manga fan, and I am sooo excited to have this series based on manga story. But, I'm also a fan of the first FMA series, and I think, for the fairness's sake, it's fair that the fans of the first FMA series who are not manga fans, or anyone who just happen to think this remake is not a good idea, can have a place where they can voice their opinions and feelings about having the "remake" of the first FMA series.

So, with that, I'm splitting FullMetalFist's post on "FMA Brotherhood anime Q&A/FAQ" thread, and making into a thread for anyone who thinks that having the FMA remake is NOT a good idea, or having some doubt about having a remake. smile.gif
penguintruth
Look, obviously (to me) there was no particular reason for this new series. The first series was massively successful, and at least to me, pretty pleasing. The new series is an obvious attempt to continue cashing in on the popularity of the title and pleasing the hardcore fans of the manga. Bones would probably be better served working on something fresh, or at least on a second season of Dark than Black.

That said, who cares? I'm actually very excited to see a new FMA series, based closer to the manga. I don't care about the reason why they're doing it. I'm a big fan of FMA in all its forms (er, except the video games, but hopefully the Wii game will be decent), so more FMA is more awesome. And for the hardcore manga fans, they finally have a series based closer to what they feel FMA should be, Arakawa's vision of FMA. I feel happy for them. Also, there are a lot of scenes in the manga that weren't in the first series that I'm excited about seeing animated.

Nobody is taking away your experiences of the first series. And yeah, maybe some people will say things like, "This is the REAL FMA", or "this replaces the no good series". Whatever. What does it matter?

If I didn't feel like this current series was any good, I wouldn't watch it. I'd go and rewatch the original series. Nobody's forcing me to watch the new one.

Except maybe Scar. Oh god, help----

Everything's fine. Ishbala bless you.
Tombow
@penguintruth - Haha, yeah, I'm excited about this series also, but let's give those people who are not feeling otherwise, some own space where they can express their feelings without our rebuttle, may we? biggrin.gif

=============

NOTE and PLEA by Tombow to the enthusiasts of this new series: This thread is not a "debate" thread. Members who think this new series is a great idea, I ask you to please stay away from this thread (unless, specifically invited by posters of this thread, to aid in their understanding by answering their questions, etc. ... then I think it's quite all right to add your post, IMO. ^^) and try to give these people their own space where they can safely express their "unfavorable" feelings toward having the "remake" of the first FMA anime series. Thank you!! smile.gif

Also, NOTE to the intended posters of this thread: This is your chance to calmly explain how and why you feel that you're not feeling hot about having a remake of the first FMA anime. This is NOT a thread to bash and trash the new anime series. Making a post such as "This new series is a piece of crap!!!" (or similar trashing of the new series) would be doing DISSERVICE to fellow posters by increasing the chance of this thread being closed (or your post being removed.)
If your sole purpose of making a post on this thread is to bash and trash this new series, I ask you to stay away from this thread. smile.gif
ShadowCat17
So far I have been somewhat disappointed by the new series, but no matter how you slice it, it is incredibly hard to start out by having to re-do much of the same material from the first series - and the rehashing I think is part of what is making the new series seem dryer to me. Not only that but it's rehashing at an incredibly fast pace, so it's like glossing over without getting the full depth that the first anime accomplished. But then again, for someone who is new to FMA, this new series is probably pretty awesome so far for them - lots of interesting plot with no filler episodes (unlike the first anime with majahal, the tringham brothers, psiren...), and they haven't heard the jokes before either.

I think the series will get much better for us who have seen the other anime very shortly when things start getting different. Which should be *very* soon at the rate we're going - before you know it we'll be in Rush Valley (I would guess about 4 more eps), which I view as the major turning point where the old anime digresses from the manga.
FullMetalFist
I am not even saying I think its necessarily a bad idea, I guess I just do not know how to feel. I love the fma manga, I am just having a hard time with fact that people are now going to blow off the original series. I think the original is amazing. I thought it was cool having the story told in anime and then the manga be a little different. Now there is another series and I do not know what to make of it. I do not know if that makes sense. I guess I have a question, its a little weird but here it is. Am I allowed to like both of them. I mean I know literally I can but will the time space continuum rip open. ha ha
Vagrant
I wanted an adaptation of the manga. Not just to see the Lust versus Roy animated, but because people that read the manga are all too rare. I'd like to see the story more widely known, discussed and celebrated.

But I'm a bit worried, because even though they're rushing through Brotherhood so far, the bits they're cutting and the writing in general has me worried for how it'll turn out in the future. :\
Kirara
Quite honestly I wasn't so sure about it at first either. I was pretty content with having the manga and anime being two separate entities.

But now that the new anime is here I have to admit I am excited to see the manga storyline animated since I really love the manga. I do worry about the increase in anime VS manga fans 1st series VS 2nd series fans though but I guess that comes with the territory of being involved with a large fandom with so many different versions.
Tombow
QUOTE (FullMetalFist @ May 17 2009, 10:17 PM) *
.... I guess I have a question, its a little weird but here it is. Am I allowed to like both of them. I mean I know literally I can but will the time space continuum rip open. ha ha

@FullMetalFist - Sure you can! ^^ I like both the first series, and the new one. When I was following the first series, I was sooo excited to watch every new episode. The first series was emotionally gripping, and the story was moving away from manga so I did not really know how the story would go, and watching every episode in the first series was such an intense experience. This time, I already know the main story line, and hence I'm more relaxed and enjoying feeling "familiarity" while watching this series. It's very different experience, but nonetheless entertaining, and I'm enjoying it very much.

But, I kind of think I know what you mean by feeling your "FMA space time continuum" messed up by watching the two different series. XDD I had the similar "weired feeling" time to time while watching the first series AND following FMA manga at the same time. laugh.gif But, by now my brain is used to the fact about FMA manga and FMA anime (first series) having completely different story universes. And, mainly because by now I had some time away from the first series, and meantime I've been following FMA manga very closely, and so what I see in this new series is very familiar with me already, and I no longer get any weired feeling of having the two FMA universes. But, for others who were fans of the first anime series, and who haven't read manga or who are only the casual followers of FMA manga, I can very much understand having the weired feeling about this new series with the different FMA story universe. biggrin.gif

Anyway, my answer to you is .. "sure you can, & of course you're allowed," and in my opinion, accepting and enjoying this new series with it's own set of FMA universe is NOT going to negate your viewing experience you had with the first series of FMA anime, and I hope eventually you can get used to the fact of having the two different FMA story universes. smile.gif
FullMetalFist
You know what, what you said actually makes me feel a lot better. Thanks a lot. I do definitely look forward to the new series. That is a good way to look at it, 2 different fma universes. Thanks a lot.
Tombow
@FullMetalFist - Oh, I'm glad what I said made some sense. ^^
Gahaha, yes, let's live long, prosper, and enjoy the new FMA series!! biggrin.gif
(It's the Trek fan in me talking... tongue.gif )
Seriously, I'm glad you're looking forward to watching this series!! ^^

And, now that the original question with the OP is resolved, I think we can open up the floor to everyone to post and state their mind....shall we? ^^
(Or, if no more posts , then let the thread slide down quietly. ^^)
Kyelinn
QUOTE (FullMetalFist @ May 17 2009, 09:17 PM) *
I am not even saying I think its necessarily a bad idea, I guess I just do not know how to feel. I love the fma manga, I am just having a hard time with fact that people are now going to blow off the original series. I think the original is amazing. I thought it was cool having the story told in anime and then the manga be a little different. Now there is another series and I do not know what to make of it. I do not know if that makes sense. I guess I have a question, its a little weird but here it is. Am I allowed to like both of them. I mean I know literally I can but will the time space continuum rip open. ha ha

See, I feel the same way! I absolutely love the FMA manga, more than I do the first anime. HOWEVER, I still absolutely LOVE the first series. There will be no taking that away from me. I was a little worried in the beginning and still kinda am somewhat in their lack of quality in the art in the most recent episode. It felt very lazy to me, but it could just be because of the rehashing...=/ Hard to say really. Anyway, can you like both of them? Of COURSE you can!! You shouldn't have to question if you're allowed to like both of them and certainly nobody should judge you for that either! You like what you like and you enjoy it. Who cares what other people might think. Everybody has their own opinions on things and if you want to like both of them, only like one, hate one or hate them both then more power to ya! Don't let anybody tell you different. ^_~
Imbris
I don't mean to come off as snippy, but if you don't like the idea of a remake...just don't watch it! No one (as far as I know) is tying you up and forcing you to watch it, so this really shouldn't be a big deal.

On the other hand...I love your avatar FullMetalFist. Franklin's awesome.
Tombow
QUOTE (Imbris @ May 18 2009, 04:35 AM) *
I don't mean to come off as snippy, but if you don't like the idea of a remake...just don't watch it! No one (as far as I know) is tying you up and forcing you to watch it, so this really shouldn't be a big deal.

@Imbris - I think, replying to someone by telling "if you don't like it don't watch it" does sound snippy, IMO. tongue.gif
In case you missed it, let me repeat the NOTE about this thread. smile.gif
NOTE: This thread is not a "debate" thread. Members who think this new series is a great idea, I ask you to please stay away from this thread... and try to give these people their own space where they can safely express their "unfavorable" feelings toward having this FMA anime series....

In other words, this thread is set up as an "SANCTUARY" for certain group of people to be able to safely speak their mind without being a target of snider, or "snippy" comments, or being overwhelmed by post after posts of majority opinions against them every time they post and express their opinions/feelings on the subject. I ask everyone to respect that and if the only thing you have for your post is some "snippy" or snide comments, then I respectfully ask you to honor this thread as their sanctuary, and stay away from this thread. smile.gif

(On the other hand, you probably did not mean to come in just to make some "snippy" comment, as you said on your post, but I think your post does really come off that way, IMO. tongue.gif )
Imbris
Haha yeah, I really didn't mean it that way, but I know how it came off. Continue as usual. tongue.gif
Tombow
QUOTE (Imbris @ May 18 2009, 06:43 AM) *
Haha yeah, I really didn't mean it that way, but I know how it came off. Continue as usual. tongue.gif

@Imbris - Yeah, that's kind of I thought. biggrin.gif
(I do the similar stuff, and my posts often do come off NOT the way I intended, then I go "oops" as I read back later, so I know that well. laugh.gif )
Anyway, in case others might also read your post in a wrong way, I'm glad we got that cleared up. ^^
Full Metal Elf
Hmm...I guess I can't bash nor defend the new series.

I rave about each new episode in the episode discussions, but to be honest...I have been slightly disappointed with each one on some points.

I understand why they wanted to make a new one. That motion I'm not going to complain about. I want to see Ling, RanFan, Mei, the Father...all of them animated. I'm so excited for that.

However, I feel that they're being a little sloppy. Maybe this is because this is coming from someone who has watched the first series at least twice and reads the manga.

I don't know what the show looks like from someone who is watching it for the first time (and if there is anyone, they should make a thread exclusively for new viewers smile.gif...I'd love to read what they have to say about it wink.gif ).

Overall, I have to say I am pleased with the new series. I think the pacing is a bit rushed, and they left out some things I felt were important. I don't understand why they can't do it frame-per-frame from the manga. Other animes do it all the time, it shouldn't be difficult.

But...I won't stop watching it either. I hope in the end it all pieces together like intended biggrin.gif
Kirara
Overall, I have to say I am pleased with the new series. I think the pacing is a bit rushed, and they left out some things I felt were important. I don't understand why they can't do it frame-per-frame from the manga. Other animes do it all the time, it shouldn't be difficult.

I agree with you that things have been going faster than I would like. But you have to keep this is mind. Besides a few details that differ right now what is basically happening is a rehash of what was already covered by the 1st series. We are all familiar with the manga so we know things are going to eventually differ. But you know what there are tons of fans only familiar with the 1st series who might not realize how different this new series will eventually become (sad but true I have seen many comments that have confirmed this. Basically people saying what is the point this is just going to be one big rehash).

Now I expect the Japanese fans are a little bit more familair with the manga (after all the manga is a top seller there) but even still I bet a bunch of fans don't really care to see the same scenes that were animated in the last series twice.

From a story point of view this series might feel a little rushed. But if you take the above into account it's a little understandable why they are rushing things to get to the new stuff. It is a shame that because of the 1st series the first half of this series is suffering a little but I do think it has gotten much better from the initial couple episodes and the pace is settling down despite the fact that they have been adapting 2 chapters into 1 episode.

I think once we get into the new stuff not covered by the 1st series things will be more exciting because we have never seen this stuff animated before and it will be fun to see everyone's reaction who are not familiar with this stuff. For now all we get is comparisons to the 1st series and that's not really that fun. And honestly I've seen mostly positive responses from people who are completely new to FMA. It seems the people who have the most complaints are manga and first series fans.
Envy II
I'm enjoying it, but it is going a bit fast.

I understand why... because we all want to get to the manga content that the original anime never got to, but in the process of rushing it's becoming less what I enjoyed from the original. It's still great, don't get me wrong, but the liking of the characters is less... Such as Hughes. In the original anime he was shown a lot, and we learned to like him a lot as a character. When you know what comes around in this anime, will we be as sad?

Really, they haven't shown that he loves his family like he does much at all this time. Perhaps some people like that, but I always found that really funny in the first anime. sad.gif

Hopefully the pacing will slow down a whole lot once they get to the manga content. It has to!
Kirara
QUOTE (Envy II @ May 18 2009, 10:17 AM) *
Really, they haven't shown that he loves his family like he does much at all this time. Perhaps some people like that, but I always found that really funny in the first anime. sad.gif

He won't be around as long but they will show this I guarantee it since the 1st anime did not come up with this trait for Hughes. As for being as sad honestly I don't know but the fact that you already know what happens is also going to have an effect.

As for liking the characters less well keep in mind that you are comparing your feelings for the characters in 51 episodes of the last series to only 7 episodes in this series. Having read the manga I can't even say what my feelings for these anime characters truly are because I am already heavily influenced by what I know from the manga. For example I know when I was reading the manga I was not a big fan of Roy & Riza at this point in the story but since I am now from the 95 chapters I have read of the manga I already love Roy & Riza at this point in this new series.

And sorry I know we are not supposed to debate here. smile.gif
Full Metal Elf
QUOTE (Kirara @ May 18 2009, 11:52 AM) *

I agree with you that things have been going faster than I would like. But you have to keep this is mind. Besides a few details that differ right now what is basically happening is a rehash of what was already covered by the 1st series. We are all familiar with the manga so we know things are going to eventually differ. But you know what there are tons of fans only familiar with the 1st series who might not realize how different this new series will eventually become (sad but true I have seen many comments that have confirmed this. Basically people saying what is the point this is just going to be one big rehash).

Now I expect the Japanese fans are a little bit more familair with the manga (after all the manga is a top seller there) but even still I bet a bunch of fans don't really care to see the same scenes that were animated in the last series twice.

From a story point of view this series might feel a little rushed. But if you take the above into account it's a little understandable why they are rushing things to get to the new stuff. It is a shame that because of the 1st series the first half of this series is suffering a little but I do think it has gotten much better from the initial couple episodes and the pace is settling down despite the fact that they have been adapting 2 chapters into 1 episode.

I think once we get into the new stuff not covered by the 1st series things will be more exciting because we have never seen this stuff animated before and it will be fun to see everyone's reaction who are not familiar with this stuff. For now all we get is comparisons to the 1st series and that's not really that fun. And honestly I've seen mostly positive responses from people who are completely new to FMA. It seems the people who have the most complaints are manga and first series fans.

Yes, I see what you're saying...and that's what I'm hoping for. That once they get to the stuff people who have only watched the first anime are unfamiliar with, it will slow down. I guess I should keep in mind they'll cut out a scene here or there, or a line now and then...but I think as long as the stick to the content and character well enough, I'll like it better.

And you're right, people have no idea what's coming if they've never read the manga (like Roy vs. Lust, Ling, RanFan, Mei, Olivier Armstrong...Bradley being Wrath and not Pride! lol...)

As of now, I'll keep watching though! I don't hate anything about it, even if some things bother me a bit wink.gif
FullMetalFist
You know I did feel it was a little rushed, but did not know if I should say it. Ha ha, What happens if they do not slow down and this whole series is one big rushed thing. It is called fullmetal alchemist, and lets face it metal(music reference) is fast(aka lame joke biggrin.gif . That would suck, o well fingers crossed.
Trakonda
Although I went on a huge hype when I heard about the new anime (in fact, I'm still in hype of some sort. XD ) I have to agree.. there IS something that makes me feel a bit uneasy, too. I don't know what. Maybe the whole fact that there's two animes now. It feels confusing, even though it's clear that they are kind of rotating in a separate universes from eachother. (Like Tombow said. :3 )

The story is indeed going way too fast now, but it makes sense in a way, we already saw these scenes in the first anime. But it's still kind of a shame, if, for example, someone watches Brothehood before the first FMA, they're going to miss so many great parts of the beginning of the story. D:

I guess I still love the first FMA more, for some reason.. although I'm more a fan of the manga storyline. smile.gif But I definitely can see your concern.

Guess we'll have to see how it keeps going. Who knows, maybe the true quality kicks in after we get all the way to the manga-only storyline.
Lost_in_translation
QUOTE (Trakonda @ May 19 2009, 06:54 AM) *
Guess we'll have to see how it keeps going. Who knows, maybe the true quality kicks in after we get all the way to the manga-only storyline.

Yeah me too. Btw hello everybody! smile.gif

I'm glad this thread was created. I was lurking around this forum lately and everybody's been so thrilled about the new series I kind of dreaded posting that I don't really like it. I mean there are scenes that I enjoy and I esp loved the 1st and 4th episode but overall I'm still not used to it. It's probably because I finished watching the 1st series a couple of months ago and then I finished reading the manga. Now I feel like my head's going to explode x_x biggrin.gif

I hope it gets better and I hope I'll get used to it.
Greensky
I'm glad to hear that many people feel the same way I do about this "new" series. FMA is my all-time favorite anime. I've never read the Manga past volume 5 though, so I have no idea what to expect later on in the Brotherhood series.

I was thinking, "Ok, maybe the first 3 episodes or so will be the same storyline as the first anime, then it will branch off in a new direction!" But we're on the 7th episode so far, with the 8th episode looking like the same story as well...

I find that ridiculous.

It's the principal of what they're doing. What if every anime had a remake like this... Would you endorse that? What's the point? Different art style and SLIGHTLY shifted events aren't worth it at all. Not even close!
Tombow
QUOTE (Greensky @ May 22 2009, 12:03 AM) *
I was thinking, "Ok, maybe the first 3 episodes or so will be the same storyline as the first anime, then it will branch off in a new direction!" But we're on the 7th episode so far, with the 8th episode looking like the same story as well...

I find that ridiculous.

It's the principal of what they're doing. What if every anime had a remake like this... Would you endorse that? What's the point? Different art style and SLIGHTLY shifted events aren't worth it at all. Not even close!

@Greensky - With all due respect, I think you have it backwards.
Let's get your fact straight. First there was FMA manga, and if anything, it was the first series of FMA anime that veered off from the original FMA story, and now this series is following the original FMA story, so calling that (how close the storyline of this series is at the beginning to the storyline of first anime series) "ridiculous" is rather ridiculous, IMO, as this was already CAUSED by the FIRST SERIES of anime, and this second series has no control over it, IMO.

What should you expect them to do to "satisfy" you? Alter the original FMA manga story for this series? AGAIN? And, for what? That does not make sense to me at all, as, having the FMA anime series that is closely following the original FMA manga IS, IMO, probably the biggest reason of having this second anime series.

On this thread, I can understand people talking about their uneasy feeling of having this new series in many aspects, EXCEPT the story line differences, or how close the first series and the this new series are at the beginning, because that is, IMO, clearly NOT the fault of the manga, and hence, inherently, not the fault of this new series. That fault (if you call it as "fault"..I don't, but you seems to think it's some kind of fault...) lies clearly on the FIRST ANIME SERIES, and IMO it is not FAIR to criticize the aspect of this series for which this series has no control over. The pacing, yes, they have control over it, but how close or not close this series' storyline is to the storyline of the first series, that condition is already set in cement and not some element they can change at their whim.

So, please check you fact straight before you start falsely accusing this new series (and since the storyline for this series is following the original FMA, you're accusing the original FMA maga story, in effect) for what the first series of FMA anime has done "wrong" ('wrong" in your line of thinking, not mine.)

I already stated that this thread is NOT going to be used to bash and trash new series, and I would certainly NOT allow this thread to be used for falsely accusing this new series (and inherently, accusing the FMA manga) for what the last series of anime has done, according to your complaint. (BTW, I'm not the one accusing the story difference/or closeness, mind you. To me, the difference/or closeness of the storyline of this series to the first series is GIVEN, preset condition, as this series is closely following original FMA manga story.)

For anyone who does not know FMA manga-anime (first series) differences, I suggest reading FMA anime (first series) - manga differences thread to learn more about the FMA manga/anime (first series) differnces (or closeness) and maybe it will help learn little more about "history" of FMA manga and the first series of FMA anime to help you stop making any more "false" accusations like this one.
Greensky
QUOTE (Tombow @ May 21 2009, 10:32 PM) *
On this thread, I can understand people talking about their uneasy feeling of having this new series in many aspects, EXCEPT the story line differences, or how close the first series and the this new series are at the beginning, because that is, IMO, clearly NOT the fault of the manga, and hence, inherently, not the fault of this new series.

Oh I'm not blaming the manga storyline, or the 1st anime series, or any storyline at all, I'm blaming the creators or Brotherhood for deciding to publish the same first part of the story over again. That's all.

I certainly wouldn't want to see a remake of Hajime no Ippo or any other anime up until the point where they switch to a new manga story... because the vast majority of people have already seen it, yes? That story already exists!
Tombow
QUOTE (Greensky @ May 22 2009, 02:57 AM) *
I certainly wouldn't want to see a remake of Hajime no Ippo or any other anime up until the point where they switch to a new manga story... because the vast majority of people have already seen it, yes? ....

@Greensky - My personal reply is basically, "no." But, I refrain from posting the rebuttal because now you're posting how you feel about having watched the similar story told twice in the beginning part of the series, and I think that's fine as posts on this thread, (so I'll leave the discussion to you guys.) That's different from posting "It still has the same story from series-1!! This series is stuupiiiid!!" or some similar trashing of the series you posted on your prior post. In your mind, you might think these two posts are saying the same thing, but these two are saying two entirely different things to the readers of the posts; One is "calmly explaining why you hold 'unfavorable' feeling/view on some aspect of the new series," (or, at least trying, in part) while the other one is simply trashing the series. The former is fine, but the latter, and any similar "plain trashing of the series" is not allowed for this thread, as part of the condition for this "sanctuary" thread.

....Or, I can just remove all these cumbersome "conditions" and just turn this into regular discussion thread. But then we already know (at least at this point) that the minority opinions would very likely to get overwhelmed by people who are enthusiastic FOR the series, as this is in the FMA-2 forum. (And, I get PMs from people who are afraid to post "unfavorable" opinions of the series in this forum.) Hence, we have this protected thread, but in return, people who have "unfavorable" opinion on the series can NOT take the advantage of the protection and start posting trashing of the series here. Those are the set conditions for this thread. Hence, NO TRASHING posts of the series here, please.

As for the rebuttal, I think penguintruth had replied to that point of yours on Ep 7 discussion thread (a "regular" discussion thread,) and answered better, and in a more concise way than I probably could, so if you'd like to, you can continue the regular discussion of this point there. smile.gif
Greensky
Yes, I must apologize for the way my first statement came across to people. I didn't want to trash the new series, but I was quite irate at the time of writing that post.

I'm such a huge FMA fan, and I will continue watching Brotherhood. The story is beyond good, it's amazing, and I'm sure when the manga story starts up (finally! =p), I'll enjoy this new series!
Astria
Wow. My log-in still works after so long? Nice.

Anyway, I wasn't sure about the remake when I first heard about it. It seems too soon after the original anime, almost as though Bones is attempting to cash in on what is still could be for them a very lucrative series. Nevermind doing it because Arakawa's storyline could work so well animated in its entirety. I reckoned that if they don't put thought into how they pull it off, it could come off badly and be a waste of time for fans no matter how the creators profit. I've had episode 1 around for a while, but haven't watched it yet. Partly because I've had other things to do, partly because I'm anxious about what I will find. However, having recently been catching up with the manga, I'm going to get into it soon. Just can't let my interest in this series lie, it seems.
FailToImpress
Ohh, does it really matter?
I always think that people take this way too seriously.

My theory is that if you enjoy it, you enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, then that's fine too.
Just enjoy it for what it is. *shrug*
Forlong
I have mixed feelings about how fast-paced it is. I like that they aren't wasting time, but I'd like a breather once in a while.
Popogeejo
I'm betting the pacing will settle down once they move out of old anime territory.
I'm more annoyed by the frequent production errors but those to seem to be fading away.
Little Washu
QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Jun 2 2009, 06:41 PM) *
I'm more annoyed by the frequent production errors but those to seem to be fading away.

Production errors?

I was excited at first...but I can't seem to watch and enjoy it, without thinking "...this part was much better in the first anime...", and also, I'm not very hot on this new art. The guys have funny noses and look kinda fat...and the girls' eyes are a bit odd...

Other than that though, I still like the first better :/
AA battery
QUOTE (Greensky @ May 22 2009, 10:39 AM) *
Yes, I must apologize for the way my first statement came across to people. I didn't want to trash the new series, but I was quite irate at the time of writing that post.

I'm such a huge FMA fan, and I will continue watching Brotherhood. The story is beyond good, it's amazing, and I'm sure when the manga story starts up (finally! =p), I'll enjoy this new series!

The publishers HAVE to redo the first part of the story too because the manga part and old-anime part only have around 70% correspondence. You have seen new-episode 3, right? It differs by around 20% from the old-episode 1&2. You have seen new-episode 2, right? It introduces the Truth, which did NOT exist in old-episodes. You have seen new-episode 8&9, right? Please tell me that you do realize how different they are from the old 20-24. I don't want to spoil you, but episode 8 has big hidden plot twist that, if the new crew did not redo this part, they cannot continue the story properly later on.

With only 70% similarity from the first old-29-ish episodes to manga volume 7, they cannot just pick up from manga volume 7 and start from there. The old-anime-episodes have been rewritten to fit the old-anime-ending. Redo-ing the whole series is definitely the correct decision. Enough said.

As a "huge FMA fan" I think you really should read the manga, because a lot of the claims you have made so far look funny to me, and I had to made this reply to you because I don't want you to continue to be blinded from the fact that it is PLOT-RELATED IMPORTANT for the publisher to redo the whole series. I would say it's disrespectful if the publisher did not redo the whole series. It would look cheap (money-wise) if they don't redo it.

Oh, in case people think I hate the first series... I don't. I do like the manga a lot more, and I still think the first FMA series is one of the best anime out there. The reason why most people think that the new-anime is "pointless" at this point is because it follows the speedy-pacing of manga. FMA manga was once dissed because it lacks character development, which the old-anime makes up for it by slowing down the story and adding character development. The first few volumes of manga was rather "immature" (immature as in development of the series... don't forget that Arakawa was still a newbie in the manga industry back then, and Fullmetal Alchemist is her FIRST SERIES.) Right now, the new anime is sticking to the manga, hence it was too fast-paced (just like manga) and rather "immature" compared to the old-anime. The old-anime had professionals who have been around the anime industry for a long time, and knows how to change and make the story better. It is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL to feel that the new-anime (right now) is inferior to the old-anime with the reasons I stated above.

(Well, I do have stuff to complain about the new-anime too, of course. I don't blindly love the new-anime... I can understand taking out the Train story, but what about Youswell... @_@; That's where Yoki appears... and they just skipped over it by showing a file w/ Yoki?! However, I do have a guess on why they did not anime-ize this episode (yet)... that chapter about Youswell is NOT long enough to make a 20 minutes anime (my guess is around 12 minutes)... and it would be kinda weird to have two distinct stories in 1 episode, so that's likely why they scrapped the Youswell story right now. My guess is that it will appear in the form of a flashback later on. Anyway, since my stand in this post is to defend the new-series, I won't go further on the flaws of the new-series xD;)

Anyway, I definitely agree that the first few episodes in new-series have been too rushed, but the production cast seems to have improved, and I didn't get that rushed feeling anymore for the newer episodes. Maybe people need to completely erase the memories of the old-series to fully enjoy the new-series. Anyway, BONES should be done with covering what's covered in old-series within the next 5-ish episodes... the part with Greed is where the old-anime and manga really differ, so the people who have only seen the old-series will be able to see what really have been going on in manga. ^^

okay I should go sleep before I go on and on and on forever...

PS. It seems that there is a crowd of people who dislike the new-Ed for the reason that he is less "uke" in the new series (both his looks and the way he acts)... It's just a feeling, please don't brick me for saying this lol =x I wasn't the only one who mentioned this on a different forum lol
Vagrant
I'd just like to mention that while Arakawa certainly improved as FMA went on, the earlier days weren't 'too fast'. They were paced just fine. If anything, later (better) chapters become MORE hectic and such.
And I think Brotherhood's last few episodes has stopped cutting as much stuff out and it's getting fairly well paced. It's seems like they'll be following the manga fairly rigidly and not adding in much of their own stuff. (which I don't think is too bad a thing)

Also, what was the hidden spoiler thing you mentioned in episode 8? I can't think of anything that sounds like that.
Kasumisty
It IS there

Maria shoots from his pistol and does Denny, but their bullets go missing. Later on, Envy takes form of Maria and kills Hughes. The investigation shows that Maria has been seen on the crime spot and also her pistol has been shoot ONCE. When Denny wanted to tell his account, they didn't allow him to. And so the story goes on. But one must read manga

Or it might be something else ;p
Kirara
Quite honestly I never thought the early parts of the manga were not as good as the later parts of the manga and same scenes covered in the anime. I think the issue here is many people saw the 1st anime first and were influenced by it. The first anime expanded a lot of Arakawa's scenes because they had so little to work with (with some good results and some bad results IMO). And yeah this might have added more development for certain characters. Certainly some minor characters in the FMA manga became major characters in the FMA anime. So I think a lot of people expected the manga to have the same development and dark tone for these same scenes they saw in the anime. It was only when the manga and anime fully diverged that they could judge the manga by its own merit fairly. And I see this happening with this new series as well. I personally never had this problem because I started the manga and first anime at the same time. I watched the anime weekly on Adult Swim but read manga scanlations with no break so caught up with the manga first. Hence the anime changes were what was hard for me and it wasn't until the anime did its own thing that I came to appreciate it more. But I have personally always enjoyed the manga more.

The difference also is the early parts of the manga became the later parts of the anime. So in the manga these early parts were almost setting up later more important scenes in the manga whereas in the anime they were introduced as major plot points that happen much later in the 1st anime storyline. Remember that it took the first anime almost 13 episodes to get to the main storyline, whereas Arakawa was there by the 2nd volume.
Popogeejo
QUOTE (Little Washu @ Jun 3 2009, 03:44 AM) *
Production errors?

In the Ep where Scar and Ed fight, when Armstrong shows up to save them he's wearing his gloves. When the rest of the military show up Armstrong jumps back and his gloves have disappeared.

In the Ep at Risenbool when Ed is testing his new arm at one point his auto mail is flesh coloured above the elbow.

There are other cases of the art becoming kinda sloppy, mostly with background faces. This also happened a lot in Deathnote.
Little Washu
QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Jun 3 2009, 07:13 AM) *
QUOTE (Little Washu @ Jun 3 2009, 03:44 AM) *
Production errors?

In the Ep where Scar and Ed fight, when Armstrong shows up to save them he's wearing his gloves. When the rest of the military show up Armstrong jumps back and his gloves have disappeared.

In the Ep at Risenbool when Ed is testing his new arm at one point his auto mail is flesh coloured above the elbow.

There are other cases of the art becoming kinda sloppy, mostly with background faces. This also happened a lot in Deathnote.

Oh yeah, I see what you mean...in Negima! (the first one, not done by SHAFT) they had a few errors, like Negi's staff being two places at once and such. I don't quite remember the first anime (FMA) having any really noticeable ones...

I haven't been getting into these episodes that much. I watch them, but can't seem to actually be interested. I don't think this new series is quite as charming as the first. I really would have been pleased if they just sorta did something new with it, like the games do. It's nice not seeing the same story over and over again :>
Kirara
QUOTE (Little Washu @ Jun 3 2009, 07:57 AM) *
I haven't been getting into these episodes that much. I watch them, but can't seem to actually be interested. I don't think this new series is quite as charming as the first. I really would have been pleased if they just sorta did something new with it, like the games do. It's nice not seeing the same story over and over again :>

Sigh do people not read the previous posts? You do realize that they are doing something new with it. This series is following the manga which ends up having a completely different story than the first series. It just starts off similar at first.

As for production errors a lot of times those are fixed on DVD releases. I am not saying this will happen with Fullmetal Alchemist but it is a common practice. The thing is they have to get the weekly episodes out on a schedule and sometimes mistakes happen. So usually things are cleaned up for the DVD releases.
Tombow
@Kirara - Haha, yeah, I think Little Washu's post represent a certain population of FMA-1 fandom, and IMO that's an valid view also, and as long as they don't start using this thread to bash FMA: Brotherhood anime, or the same poster would keep posting the same thing over and over, then I think these population can also have this thread as a place where they can safely post their rather "unfavorable" view/feeling/thought/opinion on the new FMA series. smile.gif
Kirara
QUOTE (Tombow @ Jun 3 2009, 09:41 AM) *
@Kirara - Haha, yeah, I think Little Washu's post represent a certain population of FMA-1 fandom, and IMO that's an valid view also, and as long as they don't start using this thread to bash FMA: Brotherhood anime, or the same poster would keep posting the same thing over and over, then I think these population can also have this thread as a place where they can safely post their rather "unfavorable" view/feeling/thought/opinion on the new FMA series. smile.gif

Well I am not trying to tell anyone they are wrong for not liking the new series as much as the first or even for completely disliking it. But I do think there are some general misconceptions about what this series is. It's not just a rehash or just the same ol thing again. I am not 100% sure where that misconception is coming from honestly and I am just trying to clear it up. I guess it is the difference between sharing factual information and saying someone's opinion is wrong which I was not trying to do. Just to be clear. But sorry if it came off that way. smile.gif
Tombow
@Kirara - Oh, no..IMO you have been a great level-headed voice on this thread, and I appreciate your posts very much. happy.gif
As for having many of FMA anime (first series) fans "baffled" by seeing "remake"....I think for many of them the misconception comes from not knowing FMA manga. (or, maybe they checked it out, but for one reason or another, they never got into FMA manga.) To this day, I think a large population of FMA anime (first series) fans don't even know that FMA anime (first series) had a vastly different FMA "universe" from FMA manga universe. And then, I bet many of these fans are simply wondering why even create "remake" to rehash the same story... I keep getting asked that again and again from fans of FMA-1. XD
These days I just refer these fans to Popogeejo's FMA: B FAQ thread. tongue.gif
AA battery
Kasumisty is correct on what I hinted about episode 8 =3 so Vagrant can take a look at that post if you haven't already.

I also started reading the manga and anime at about the same time... well, after watching the first few episodes of anime I decided to look for manga =P so I guess it's still sorta the same time xD I dunno, back then I did think anime was better than manga because manga was too fast paced... well, we are all different people so we view things differently 8D; I admit that I started to like the manga more when the old-anime started to have their own story. I do have the impression that manga later slowed down to have more developments, such as the part on the Ishval war which took four long chapters. I like how detailed those chapters are. (BUT I definitely agree that starting around chapter 72-ish, manga began to rush like WHOA @_@; It's as if Arakawa wanted to get FMA done and over with so that she can focus on her new series Juushin Enbu...)

anyway, time to move on... I had my share of ranting and I'm satisfied. xD
Kirara
QUOTE (AA battery @ Jun 3 2009, 01:29 PM) *
(BUT I definitely agree that starting around chapter 72-ish, manga began to rush like WHOA @_@; It's as if Arakawa wanted to get FMA done and over with so that she can focus on her new series Juushin Enbu...)

You know it is interesting because I remember reading an interview awhile back before these chapters where she specifically said that the series will start moving quicker to the climax which is where we are now I would say.

However in an even more recent interview she said the manga will be a little bit longer than she first thought despite that quicker pacing. smile.gif
AA battery
QUOTE (Kirara @ Jun 3 2009, 03:35 PM) *
You know it is interesting because I remember reading an interview awhile back before these chapters where she specifically said that the series will start moving quicker to the climax which is where we are now I would say.

However in an even more recent interview she said the manga will be a little bit longer than she first thought despite that quicker pacing. smile.gif

Yup, I vaguely remember reading something like that before too. Anyway, I certainly hope that the manga will finish before the new-anime.... (in other words, within 10 months) The new-anime intends to follow manga as closely as possible, right? I don't think they would be crazy enough to make up their own anime ending again if manga didn't manage to end soon enough x_x If they really get up to that point, I hope they'd stop broadcasting the new-anime (and wait for manga to finish up)... and do a season 2 or OVA or whatever. Just don't spoil us manga-fans about the ending before the manga shows it ;_; and definitely should not make up their own ending since that's ridiculous and beats the purpose of new-anime... ok I should shut up =x

QUOTE (Forlong @ Jun 3 2009, 02:41 PM) *
QUOTE (AA battery @ Jun 3 2009, 05:02 AM) *
I can understand taking out the Train story,

I don't. That was the most awesome filler ever. And it was on a train! That automatically makes anything awesome.

Well, like you said, it's a *filler* so...
Tombow
<Program Note>

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Oct 3 2010, 05:53 AM) *
In my opinion, Brotherhood's greatest weakness is that....

@Misty- Nala - Very good post! ^^ But.... it's consisting mostly the comparison of FMA-1 vs FMA:Brotherhood, and hence I think it's more suited for FMA-1 vs FMA:Brotherhood thread, and therefore, I moved your post there. smile.gif

Also, I moved some other posts on the thread with similar contents to FMA-1 vs FMA:Brotherhood thread as well.

I see that this thread is now being used somewhat differently than what the OP intended; The original purpose of this thread was to give FMA-1 fans a place to voice their feeling about having another FMA anime series, such as, feeling FMA-1 being slighted, etc., and now this thread is being used to list the weakness of FMA:Brotherhood instead? blink.gif And hence some of the discussions are now over-wrapping with FMA-1 vs FMA:Brotherhood thread. We'll check to see how we can arrange this better. ^^

meantime...

Everyone, if you have opinions & views on the weakness on FMA:Brotherhood anime, please add such posts on FMA-1 vs FMA:Brotherhood thread.

Any FMA-1 fans who feels negative about having another FMA anime series, feel free to post and express your views/opinions/thoughts/feelings about it on this thread. smile.gif
Misty- Nala
I hope this one goes right and doesn't get switched to somewhere else tongue.gif

Anyway, back in the days I started watching FMA, and even now, I loved the unique combination: there was manga and anime that were different. In most cases, Animes follow Mangas' plots like slaves, some are more creative, some are less. I adored the fact that FMA Anime was different and gave the themes of Manga a whole new meaning. Fma Anime followed the basic plot of the early chapter ( Two first episodes were almost entirely taken from the manga) and then it took some of the manga plot but made whole new adventures. For instance, Bald chapter was in the first book and set in the time when Ed was 15 and an experienced State Alchemist. In Anime 1, this Bald episode was given a whole new impact: it is a story of Edward and Al going to Central and meeting Hughes and it introduces Mustang. I loved how everything was changed to make the story bigger; Barry was given a bigger role, Tucker was given much more character etc.

The fact that Anime and Manga differ so much from that one very sad point onwards made Fma feel unique to me. I have never come across something that was based on something ongoing and still managed to become a very touching story of its own. Making of Brotherhood threw FMA into the same bunch with (almost?) every other manga/anime combination there is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.