Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If They Had The Election For Fuhrer: "Fuhrer" Roy Mustang or Olivier Armstrong? Or Someone Else?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
CodenameElizabeth
~ Major General Armstrong: Future Fuhrer?, Is Arakawa setting up for something HUGE here? ~

You know, I have had this thought in the back of my head ever since chapter 74 (or something like that... the one where Gen. Armstrong comes to Central and takes over Raven's post.)
Is Arakawa setting up to have her become the next Fuhrer? Might explain some of the animosity between her and Mustang.

We can all be pretty certain that Bradley will be exposed for what he is, AND that his forces will fall by the end of the series, so it is logical to set up some sort of succession strategy. I don't think that Arakawa would have an inexperienced thirty-something like Mustang actually achieve this lofty goal. He is not even close to being top-brass in the military, so it would make very little sense. Now, Armstrong on the other hand, has the experience and rank necessary to take over a leadership position over the Amestrian military forces. I mean, she DID pretty much reign supreme of Briggs for how many years. I always got the impression that no one from Central really screwed with the soldiers up there. (But then again- who in thier right mind would want to screw with Gen. Armstrong?)

Perhaps, if she does assume the ultimate leadership role, she would appoint Mustang and his crew as her aides. That is supposing Mustang redeems himself in her eyes by the end of the manga.
tammertime

Like I said in the AB ones. Her choice in uniform definately gives a clue. But I feel the same sort of animosity towards the General, as Mustang gets from others. When she walked into that meeting, no one looked very happy... But Mustang is too inexperienced, and has a lot to do before he can give himself to that job. But he's a main character, and he'll wind up probably getting the job in the end, unless something crazy happens. Though I'm rooting for Armstrong in the meantime! WoOt!
Though maybe Mustang would be happy with just a lot of power, and doesn't need to be Fuhrer. that way he can still be the fun, social guy we love. And maybe even start a family?!?!? gasp!
Izumi Sensai
*Shudders at the thought of Mustang actually settling down*
Imagine if he and Riza finally tied the knot and had kids together.
I give you this visual... Riza potty training.
I wonder what caliber weapon she would use for that.
biggrin.gif
BTW I been meaning to sign up here thanks for the push.
"QD"
tammertime
Maybe he should be Fuhrer just to avoid all of that...

Slightly off-topic. I really want Izumi and Armstrong to meet eventually.... GAWd, that'd interesting.
Izumi Sensai
Oooh...That could be interesting depending on the circumstances.

CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Izumi Sensai @ Oct 19 2007, 03:58 PM) *
I give you this visual... Riza potty training.
I wonder what caliber weapon she would use for that.
biggrin.gif

I think the conversation would go more along the lines of:

"Roy-- I've been thinking, and it's about time we get little Roy Jr. out of those diapers. Let the potty-training begin."

"Uhh... honey? I really think you ought to let ME handle this one..."

(If you desire RoiAi crack, just go here:
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...hp?showtopic=35
It's probably the largest thread on the boards.)

This does make me think of that one chapter where Armstrong first meets Raven, and she mentions something about how 'most women her age already have children.' I def. see her as more of a career woman than a mother though-- which is why I can see her character being a suitable fuhrer.
Izumi Sensai
Armstrong is a smart woman.
Of course I can see the Armstrong clan being a bit overly fussy as to who would be worthy enough to sustain their "Traditions" and the all important "Armstrong Family Line".
Kiarrens
Who says ANYONE's going to get the job? smile.gif Remember, at the end of the anime/in the movie, the government had become a democracy of sorts, and while the manga and anime certainly have headed in different directions, Arakawa-san had sway over the story arc of the anime.
This being the case, perhaps the manga is going to end in somewhat the same manner, if not exactly. I'm already seeing correlations with the end of Chapter 76 and Episode 50 - you see what I mean?
Causmicfire
If there is a position for a new leader of sorts open I think Roy will have a hard time running against her.
tammertime
QUOTE(Kiarrens @ Oct 19 2007, 04:33 PM) *
Who says ANYONE's going to get the job? smile.gif Remember, at the end of the anime/in the movie, the government had become a democracy of sorts, and while the manga and anime certainly have headed in different directions, Arakawa-san had sway over the story arc of the anime.

I wonder what she would do if it became a democracy. Mustang turned all emo in the movie, so what would it do to her?!?

QUOTE(Izumi Sensai @ Oct 19 2007, 03:04 PM) *
Of course I can see the Armstrong clan being a bit overly fussy as to who would be worthy enough to sustain their "Traditions" and the all important "Armstrong Family Line".

Ah, yes. Though I'm really not seeing the Armstrong line continuing after this generation... Forgive me if anyone thinks differently... tongue.gif

Roy will definately have a hard time beating her for the position, that's for sure!
Triss Hawkeye
That's an interesting suggestion. Although Roy's been around in the manga since almost th beginning and Armstrong's relatively new, so we would expect that he would become Fuhrer simply because we know that's been his goal for a long time, who says Arakawa's going to do what we expect? Still, I'd still root for Roy if only because I want him to become Fuhrer. Whether he will or not is hard to tell at this stage. If he plays a very key role in overthrowing Bradley and Father, it might be that he would be promoted in recognition of that. Again, whether or not to Fuhrer remains to be seen.
AA battery
QUOTE(tammertime @ Oct 19 2007, 11:11 PM) *
Ah, yes. Though I'm really not seeing the Armstrong line continuing after this generation... Forgive me if anyone thinks differently... tongue.gif

Maybe the other 2 sisters (the 2nd and 3rd child of the family) are already married and already have kids? XDDDDDDDDDDD
tammertime
QUOTE(AA battery @ Oct 21 2007, 03:21 AM) *

Maybe the other 2 sisters (the 2nd and 3rd child of the family) are already married and already have kids? XDDDDDDDDDDD

Yeah. I REALLY want to meet those other two...
Causmicfire
QUOTE(AA battery @ Oct 21 2007, 03:21 AM) *

Don't forget the youngest, Catherine. She could very well continue the Armstrong line.

Well, at the moment Olivier is probably the highest ranking official that isn't corrupt. She's infiltrated the Top Brass, and knows what she's dealing with from the information both Ed and Raven gave her. She's kept the soldiers of Briggs loyal to her and only her. I wonder what their plan is for their new General from Central. We'll see her enough by the end of the series to get a good take on her character, and where she's going. She is our insight as to what is going on at the top of the food chain, military-wise.
tammertime
QUOTE(Causmicfire @ Oct 22 2007, 10:23 AM) *
Well, at the moment Olivier is probably the highest ranking official that isn't corrupt.

In addition to that-
Besides the Fuhrer, she's the highest ranking officer we know, right? Unless I'm forgetting someone...
Grumman was demoted, Raven's in concrete, and Hakuro's out of Central...
TheRainbowConnection
QUOTE(tammertime @ Oct 22 2007, 04:44 PM) *
Besides the Fuhrer, she's the highest ranking officer we know, right? Unless I'm forgetting someone...

Grumman was never demoted, per se. He was a lieutenant general, but once he shot down the whole immortality plan, he was relegated to the East. He kept his rank but lost his influence as far as central influence goes. He's still the highest-ranking character that's been introduced, not counting Bradley or Raven.

HOWEVER. In this picture, we clearly see a mustachioed lieutenant general who is neither Raven nor Grumman. Alternate view here.

Basically, we probably only know a very small slice of the military leadership.
Izumi Sensai
QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Oct 22 2007, 11:09 PM) *
QUOTE(tammertime @ Oct 22 2007, 04:44 PM) *

Grumman was never demoted, per se. He was a lieutenant general, but once he shot down the whole immortality plan, he was relegated to the East. He kept his rank but lost his influence as far as central influence goes. He's still the highest-ranking character that's been introduced, not counting Bradley or Raven.

HOWEVER. In this picture, we clearly see a mustachioed lieutenant general who is neither Raven nor Grumman. Alternate view here.

I agree. There are, I'm sure, lots of wildcards yet to make an appearance. And the road to become Fuhrer isn't going to be an easy one for whomsoever wants that title. And that's going to make it very interesting in the future.
tammertime
QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Oct 22 2007, 08:09 PM) *

Alright, I wasn't quite sure, I was just going off of this.

And I see about that other guy... I was trying to check during that last meeting with General Armstrong.
Vitor 3000
I don't think this will happen! For two reasons. If Wrath would leave his place:

1) it would be because someone killed him, made him resign... by some mean, someone made a movement that made him unable to return to his place. If this would happen, it would mean that behind there is a big thing to reach Father, and end with his plans. That would mean the end of the Military (kept by Father), so, no more Führer.

2) is because Father ordered him to, so he has a plan in mind. If this is the case, it is very unlikely that he will pass the place to Olivia =P
TheRainbowConnection
QUOTE(tammertime @ Oct 22 2007, 11:04 PM) *
Alright, I wasn't quite sure, I was just going off of this.

And I see about that other guy... I was trying to check during that last meeting with General Armstrong.

Ah, I see. Grumman said he was getting "demoted" because he got sent away to a place where he can't influence central command. This is much like how Mustang got promoted to colonel but still called it a demotion when he was told that he was to be stationed in the East. (Don't know if this was in the anime or manga or both, but I'm sure it happened. Argh, too many episodes, too many chapters. sleep.gif)
Zalamist
Mustang would do just about anything to move up the ladder. I could see him trying to marry General Armstrong if she became fuhrer and his assuming a "First Lady" kind of role.
Izumi Sensai
LOL...Mustang as first lady.
That is if he survived the honeymoon.
Animeoldtimer
This is sad, but I can just visualize Mustang in the dress and Armstrong (Olivier, of course wink.gif ) in the suit! laugh.gif

She'd be a kick a** Fuhrer! biggrin.gif
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Animeoldtimer @ Oct 25 2007, 09:36 AM) *
This is sad, but I can just visualize Mustang in the dress and Armstrong (Olivier, of course wink.gif ) in the suit! laugh.gif

She'd be a kick a** Fuhrer! biggrin.gif

Uh oh. I smells me sum Fanart time... laugh.gif
Causmicfire
Can you imagine it?
O: I'm home!
R: Dinner's ready.
O: *sniffs* You burnt it again didn't you?
R: *teary eyed* No, yes, it's just the bottom!
O: *shakes head* Useless, absolutely useless. Aren't you supposed to be the Flame Alchemist? You can't even keep the flame from burning food? I'll just go chop something up for salad.
R: *hides in corner of doom*

R & O: Sit at opposite ends of a very long dinner table glaring at each other while they eat the meals they each prepared.

O: *Mumbling* Academy is going to include cooking class from now on.
R: *Mumbling* I should burn that salad to a crisp. Hmph, questioning my alchemic abilities.

*A bit of Roy Ooc-ness there, but eh, it happens.
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Causmicfire @ Oct 26 2007, 11:20 PM) *
Can you imagine it?
O: I'm home!
R: Dinner's ready.
O: *sniffs* You burnt it again didn't you?
R: *teary eyed* No, yes, it's just the bottom!
O: *shakes head* Useless, absolutely useless. Aren't you supposed to be the Flame Alchemist? You can't even keep the flame from burning food? I'll just go chop something up for salad.
R: *hides in corner of doom*

R & O: Sit at opposite ends of a very long dinner table glaring at each other while they eat the meals they each prepared.

O: *Mumbling* Academy is going to include cooking class from now on.
R: *Mumbling* I should burn that salad to a crisp. Hmph, questioning my alchemic abilities.

*A bit of Roy Ooc-ness there, but eh, it happens.

I LOL'd...

laugh.gif
tammertime
haha. Very nice!

I was joking with some friends online, and paired her with Fuery though. Just for the laughs... biggrin.gif
I feel so evil right now...
Causmicfire
Poor Fuery, I don't think he'd be able to handle her!
tammertime
QUOTE(Causmicfire @ Oct 30 2007, 05:51 PM) *
Poor Fuery, I don't think he'd be able to handle her!

Who honestly could, you think?
Causmicfire
Buccaneer. The pairing shall be called Oliveer, her names got to be first, because we all know she'd be the more dominant one.
tammertime
QUOTE(Causmicfire @ Oct 30 2007, 11:03 PM) *
Buccaneer. The pairing shall be called Oliveer, her names got to be first, because we all know she'd be the more dominant one.

Yeah.... but.....
Okay, you're probably right.
They did seem pretty close during their chat (after Buccaneer and the crew got out of the tunnel).
Very Izumi/Sig though.... not that that's bad at all!
Causmicfire
Even if she may not become Fuhrer, I think Arakawa's definitely gearing us up for a battle between Bradley and Olivier. What a nice little sword fight it'll be.
tammertime
QUOTE(Causmicfire @ Nov 1 2007, 10:41 PM) *
I think Arakawa's definitely gearing us up for a battle between Bradley and Olivier. What a nice little sword fight it'll be.

It's gonna be pretty frickin' sweet! biggrin.gif
Thoyin
Couple things:

1) Arakawa did have some say on the ending of the anime -- she insisted that it ended DIFFERENTLY than her plans for the manga. So, assuming the manga will end at all the same way is probably a mistake. That being said, I do think it's possible a democracy will replace Wrath without either Mustang or Armstrong as an intermediary.

2) It seems like Mustang wants to be Fuhrer out of duty to help the country, rather than a desire for the post itself. He was planning on turning the country into a democracy (so he'd no longer be Fuhrer) and facing persicution for his crimes. With Ed's wish that Mustang and Hawkeye could just live their lives, maybe Arakawa will spare them from having to complete thier plan. So, Armstrong as Fuhrer might actually be really good for Mustang.

3) The only problem with this, is I'm not sure Armstrong would work towards democracy (though we don't really know her well enough at this point). If she intended to maintain the power structure, I think Mustang would fight her.
tammertime
QUOTE(Thoyin @ Nov 3 2007, 09:44 PM) *
3) The only problem with this, is I'm not sure Armstrong would work towards democracy (though we don't really know her well enough at this point).

Yeah. I SERIOUSLY doubt she'd turn it into a democracy....
Triss Hawkeye
Oooo, I just thought. Maybe if Armstrong becomes Fuhrer, then a fight between Armstrong and Mustang, Mustang wins, turns country into a democracy and then faces persecution for his crimes...

I'm still of the sad belief that it is very possible that Roy will have to face the death penalty at the end of the manga. sad.gif
Anomia Grey
Hey, having the military overturned runs the huge risk of getting into the other extreme - in the exagerrated desire for justice, the State Alchemists could end up as scape goats for the long reign of terror. We saw how many people in the country felt for State Alchemists, there's a chance there will be a huge trial for the Ishbal matter, employed by a faction of ambitious parazites of the former system, who now wish...ok, I know, this is just my own political speculation biggrin.gif My point is that Roy would be pretty vulnerable if the system fell anyway.

What makes me wonder is how come Armostrong didn't make the high board seat in the first place. She's a tough and brilliant general, an outstanding leader, a powerful and ambitious personality, and come from an influential family on top of that - so what the heck is she doing in far-away Briggs!? She takes her job seriously, but my feeling is that she may have been pressured at first to take it. Maybe because she's a woman? We haven't seen many high ranking women in the millitary except for her - could the generals have feared her so much so as to send her to freeze her a** off in Briggs, in the hope that she'd break down from the cold and the Drachmans? Could be... but remember how Miles said that in Briggs everybody has a secret. What's Armstrong's? What kind of mistake could she have made to compromise her carreer so badly?
Causmicfire
I think they know she's aiming for the top, which is probably one reason she was sent away, like Anomia said, in hopes that she'd break down from the cold and Drachmans.

Her secret...looks like we do have a lot more to learn about her.
natsu-hime
@Triss

OH MY GOD. THE WORLD WILL CRY AND ARAKAWA'S HEADQUARTERS IN HOKKAIDO WILL BE FLOODED WITH FANS BRINGING PITCHFORKS AND FIREARMS SCREAMING "WHY DID YOU KILL ROY?!" IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES.

i will cry if it happens. but if he had to be killed, please let him get married with riza and make her atleast pregnant >.<

Celeste Nayamashii
Argh, but then we'd have another Hughes case. Roy and Riza get married, have a baby Roy dies in the line of duty leaving Riza husbandless with a child. Honestly, I can't see Roy dying in the manga, but I could be really wrong. You just never know what Arakawa has up her sleeve.
Also I could totally see Armstrong being set up for future Fuhrer here.
CodenameElizabeth
My opinion? Armstrong got sent away to Briggs for the same reason Grumman was stationed in the East-- they showed no interest in Raven's "immortal army" and therefore were a threat to the plans that were afoot in Central. They couldn't be kicked out of the military, but they could at least be stationed far away where they wouldn't have as much influence over the upper-brass.

tammertime
QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Dec 5 2007, 09:58 AM) *
My opinion? Armstrong got sent away to Briggs for the same reason Grumman was stationed in the East-- they showed no interest in Raven's "immortal army" and therefore were a threat to the plans that were afoot in Central.

But she JUST found about the "immortal army", right? And it was probably at least 10 years ago that she was stationed at Briggs, maybe close to twenty. At least that's how it sounded when she mentioned that crazy woman (Izumi)...

My bet is it was something that happened a while ago. I really hope we find out what that may be, if there even is anything...
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(tammertime @ Dec 5 2007, 06:27 PM) *
My bet is it was something that happened a while ago. I really hope we find out what that may be, if there even is anything...

She did *something* to piss off the upper brass. At some point...

There was some sort of plan she didn't go along with, which lead them to believe that she wasn't part of their 'circle' and would best be stationed far from Central--- where she wouldn't have as much influence.
tammertime
OKAY.!!!!

I've been saying this for MONTHS (!!!), but General Armstrong HAS TO BE in next month's manga. dry.gif
Things are not looking good up at Briggs, for all of Amestris in any case...
I'm dying to know what she is up to!!!
Causmicfire
I hope to see her, too. She's got to know what's going on if Mustang's gang is using the flower lady to pass messages.
Trashley
Armstrong will make a great leader during the coming difficult times. She is obviously a very strong leader, otherwise she wouldn't have been able to control everyone up in Briggs. She can also think strategically and quickly, which is going to save her in the situation she is currently in. However, I don't know if she'd make a great peace-time leader. Her specialty seems to be in extreme situations where she can demand absolute loyalty from her subordinates. Although, we haven't seen her in command of a more relaxed situation.
RoyxRizaFan
First of all, I can't see Armstrong in a romantic situation. She's too independant, and she'd probably end up killing her partner somehow...or at least driving them insane.

Maybe they (the high commander peoplz) realized how observant and...um, for lack of a better word, awesome she was and decided it was safer for them to have her far off in the north, away from their planning base place...(i really can't word anything correctly right now...) I would say that an Armstrong flashback would be interesting, but at the moment i don't really want too many flashback since the present situation is so interesting...

As for Armstrong as Fuher? I can't see her changing the way things are run too much, and Roy would probably change it into a democracy like you all said. Armstrong would probably win an election unless Roy does something really "heroic" (my vocabulary sucks today) and changes everyone's minds about him being an underaged loser. Armstrong's most likely to overthrow Bradley though, especially in her present posision, so they'd probably vote for her.

But as for me...

I'd vote for Mustang (no surprise there)
Gimpyhair
~Fuhrer Roy Mustang Or Olivier Armstrong? - If They Had The Election For Fuhrer, Which one would you choose? ~

Who do you think would do a better job as the new fuhrer? Armstrong or Mustang?
Tombow
<Program Note>

@Gimpyhair - Do we have other options? Like, "Neither" ??
How about other people?? Like, Alex, just as an example??

Just checking. ^^
penguintruth
My vote is for Olivia Armstrong!

Though I have a feeling she'll end up back at Briggs at the end of the manga, waving aside the opportunity to become Fuhrer, because she thinks it's a position for a bureaucrat, where she prefers a hard-driving, battle-ready position.

It reminds me of a quote from Lex Luthor in Justice League Unlimited. "President? Do you know how much power I'd have to give up to be the President?"

Hey, maybe there'll be DEMOCRACY END like the first series.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.