Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 5: Rain Of Sorrows - Content Discussion Thread,
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
Please post the discussions on the content of episode 5 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 5 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode
NOTE: Please be aware that TvAnts has failed to stream last episode (episode 4.)
Streaming on KeyHole TV went as scheduled for episode 4.

NOTE: For this episode (episode 5) there will be a temporary change of air-time. Episode 5 will air Sunday, May 3 2009, 5:30 PM ~ 6:00 PM in Japan.

* For all FMA Brotherhood anime fans who do not have access to the official English subbed episodes on Fanimation.com, the transcriptions of English subbed episodes on Fanimation.com will be posted sometime later on Transcritions of official English sub thread.

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Translation by Tombow, episode title is from official English sub on Funimation, and the naming of "Destraction's Right hand" is from series-1, episode 14. )
Episode 5: "Rain of Sorrows"
A mysterious and elusive killer who hunts only the State Alchemists, and sending chilling sensation throughout Amestris, Scar. He is now spotted in East City.
By chance, Ed and Al encounter him in town. Immediately, Scar attacks Ed. Ed and Al fight back, but they are overwhelmed by his transcendent skills in martial art, coupled with his mysterious "Destruction's Right Hand"....

NOTE: The normal airing schedule (5:00 PM ~ 5:30 PM on Sunday in Japan) will resume next episode (episode 6)

=======================================

Episode Summary: (courtesy of Edamame)
Ed awakens from a nightmare where he is haunted by gruesome images of his mother and Nina. Consumed by the images in his nightmare, Ed along with Al make their way to headquarters in East City where they are greeted by Riza Hawkeye. Ed asks Riza what has become of Tucker and Nina, only to learn that Tucker was originally supposed to be put on trial and have his qualifications as a State Alchemist revoked, but was killed along with his daughter Nina. Meanwhile, in the city of Reole, it appears as though Father Cornello has once again gathered a group of loyal followers to preach his sermons to. The strange part of the matter is that Father Cornello should have died at the hands of his attackers Lust and Gluttony, yet here he is preaching to hundreds of loyal followers and proclaiming that the people of Reole should take up weapons and fight against their oppressor, the state military. Citizens who no longer believe the tainted words of Cornello turn against his new loyal followers, and a rebellion breaks out turning friend against friend. All is truly not as it seems as Father Cornello returns back to his previous attackers and transforms into an androgynous being who goes by the name of Envy. To make matters even stranger, this bizarre trio knows of Shou Tucker’s death and the identity of the Fullmetal Alchemist who they proclaim has interfered with their work and who they long to use as a human sacrifice. Just exactly who they are and what they are up to remains a mystery.

Back in East City, Colonel Mustang and his subordinates learn the identity of the State Alchemist killer- a man who goes by the alias of Scar. Outside in the pouring rain, Ed muses over the meaning of alchemy and his own inability to protect Nina, but his thoughts are cut short when he is confronted by none other than Scar who attempts to murder him. The brothers enter into battle against Scar, who utilizes alchemy to destroy half of Al´s empty shell of armor and Ed´s automail arm so he can no longer transmute and therefore perform alchemy. Defenseless and in shock, Ed awaits his death at the hands of Scar, but is saved by Colonel Mustang and his subordinates. Unfortunately, Colonel Mustang’s alchemy is useless on rainy days, so his subordinates work together in attempt to bring Scar, the man who murdered Tucker and Nina, down. Riza grazes Scar with one of her bullets, and ends up knocking off the glasses, only to discover that he has the red eyes of the Ishablan people who were slaughtered by State Alchemists in the infamous Ishbal Massacre. Scar escapes back into the sewers before he can be killed. After Scar’s escape, Al yells at his brother for being so willing to simply throw away his life and tells him that they need to value their lives and continue onward despite all obstacles. Latter, at headquarters in East City, the brothers plan their visit to their hometown of Risembool where Ed will be able to get his automail armed fixed by his childhood friend and mechanic Winry Rockbell.

Characters in this episode: (To be filled)
East City:
Scar
Edward Erlic
Alphonse Erlic
Alex Armstrong
Roy Mustang
Riza Hawkeye
Jean Havoc
Maes Hughes
Trisha (brief appearance in Ed's dream)
Thing from Ed's Human transmutation (brief appearance in Ed's dream)
Nina (brief appearance in Ed's dream & flashback)
Alexander (dog, brief appearance in Ed's dream & flashback)
Winry (briefly shown when Ed talks about Resembool)

Reole:
Lust
Envy/Cornell
Gluttony

Ishbal

Locations: (excluding review and preview scenes)
East City
Reole
Ishval (no real time action, appears as an information)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
Kasumisty
Long time no see.

I can't say much concerning this episode, because my lag in Keyhole reached critic numbers (around 1,5 minutes)

But I can say that:

-Ed looked like a girl all the time, lol
-The pacing was fine, I feared that the summaries of the previous episodes will fast things up, but no, they fit whole chapter in it without cutting scenes!
-The next episode will be with Dr Marcoh <3
-Music was awesome

That's all, I need to watch it again, with better quality

Btw, there was commercial presenting a Newtype FMA extra
amestris_star
I really enjoyed it <3
And... Ishval flashback <33333333

I'll post a coherent post when I see it in a more calm way lol

@Kasumisty: Why don't you use mms streaming?
Kasumisty
@Kasumisty: Why don't you use mms streaming?

I tried, but it simply didn't work for me ;;
Alzea
Ok, I somehow managed to watch this ep but only the beginning of the episode and second part since KeyHoleTV and AntsTV hate me xP But so~ many scenes directly from manga, and useless Roy is useless, yes this part was, is and always will be epic biggrin.gif
I think it was very good episode or at least second part was xD Most of the things today were exactly as in the manga and so it makes me happy^^ Can't wait till subs or at least HQ raw...
Uh, I'm not sure but there was both cms I mean of last SGG issue and one which will come out next week, right? Oh, and in the newest Newtype there will be something about FMA too, right? (I'm not sure since even cms were in separate pictures xP )
Anakishi
Man, the streaming went down on me right at the parts I wanted to see the most! (Ed's nightmare, and Al screaming at Ed), now I can't wait to download it, lol (it was 5:30 in the morning, and I was yelling)
For what I could see, art was beautiful as always, Ed looked like a girl because his hair was messed because of the rain. I liked that touch. There are a few parts I felt rushed up, though.
penguintruth
Just some quick thoughts:

- The animation seemed off in this episode. At times the characters were way off model. I like to think they're saving their budget for Greed.

- Felt a little fast for my tastes. Did a fairly decent job, just not as good as the last episode, because that one took one chapter and expanded slightly, whereas this had two chapters. Not as bad as episode 2's fast pacing, though. More like episode 3.

- Ed's dream was pure nightmare fuel.

- Is it just me, or (and perhaps this is the same case with the manga) did it seem like since there were so many armed soldiers they could have simply shot Scar numerous times? I mean, he can't dodge everyone. In the first series, I seem to remember him causing reactions with the road which scattered the troops.

- Otherwise, a pretty solid episode. Envy's new VA is pretty good. I mean, we're talking about Dilandau here, so of course it suits him. And Scar's new VA is also good.

More constructed thoughts later.
amestris_star
QUOTE (Alzea @ May 3 2009, 11:12 AM) *
Ok, I somehow managed to watch this ep but only the beginning of the episode and second part since KeyHoleTV and AntsTV hate me xP But so~ many scenes directly from manga, and useless Roy is useless, yes this part was, is and always will be epic biggrin.gif I think it was very good episode or at least second part was xD Most of the things today were exactly as in the manga and so it makes me happy^^ Can't wait till subs or at least HQ raw...
Uh, I'm not sure but there was both cm I mean of last SGG issue and one which will come out next week, right? Oh, and in the newest Newtype there will be something about FMA too, right? (I'm not sure since even cms were in separate pictures xP )

Yes, it has Ed in the cover page, YES >D Which means we'll be having more FMA stuff coming up in the next few days.
I think I'm getting an overdose of EPIC >D

PS. The Roy eyecatch = TOTALLY WANTS *____*
Haineko
It's way late for me to post a full reaction, but some initial thoughts:

- Holy snap I'm so glad they animated that dream! It was even creepier the way they added that transmuted thing in place of Trisha, and nice addition with Nina too
- Animation was gorgeous.... wow, Liore was done beautifully again, and that fight scene was just incredible, <3333
- Pacing was all right, too. It still felt a bit rushed to me, actually, but then again, this is all that happens in one chapter of the manga. Craziness. oops two chapters, no wonder it felt a bit rushed to me. Sigh it's very late for me XDD
- Overall loved the episode, this series certainly is getting better and better.

I'm also confused about the preview. It showed both Ed and Al arriving at the Rockbell's and them sitting with Dr. Marcoh... those events happen in two different chapters though... are they really going to cram all of those events into one episode? I'm a little worried about that, but also curious to see what they'll do next time.
amestris_star
QUOTE (Haineko @ May 3 2009, 11:15 AM) *
I'm also confused about the preview. It showed both Ed and Al arriving at the Rockbell's and them sitting with Dr. Marcoh... those events happen in two different chapters though... are they really going to cram all of those events into one episode? I'm a little worried about that, but also curious to see what they'll do next time.

They will. I think the standard pace for now will be 2 chapters per ep, till Hughes' you-know-what.
Yes, it'll be a bit fast, agreed, but I'm not minding much actually. As long as they keep everything that's essential inside.
Tombow
@Haineko - I just added the preview of the next episode (episode 6) from the FMA: Brotherhood official JP site, to the first post as FYI. ^^ And, as amestris_star said, it's probably so that they fit events in these 2 chapters into the next episode.
edo little kid
Hello , everyone ^o^/

I finished watched the episode just now !!
What I say !!
my heart was striking fast from the beginning to the end episode!!
Ed was too cute,lovely wub.gif
I love his hair !!! -happy.gif-
I liked the emotions between the brothers , and the fighting scenes too !!
I was very happy that the events were identical to Manga !!
I loved the comedy too ^^
In brief, this episode is the best one to me!!!
I loved it very much
(it's amazing me)!! happy.gif

Go FMA:brotherhood !!!
ShadowCat17
Good episode.

I was expecting young ed to look a little more freaked out and scared during his nightmare, but anyway it was a good scene.

The battle with scar sort of came out of nowhere, but from that point on the episode was great.

And... Hawkeye for the win. & she was hot when she gave ed her blue coat
black~hayate
The atmosphere was wow...
And the expressions on little Edo's face were so dramatic,
Ed's dream was wow... You could feel it was a hell of a nightmare! The animation in this place was brilliant.
The music near the end was *___*. I'll be the one who gets the OST (if there will be one) first.
I loved the expressions of the military when Ed and Al were fighting.
And the flashbacks to Ishval were so dramatic. Very well made.
amestris_star
QUOTE (black~hayate @ May 3 2009, 06:26 PM) *
The atmosphere was wow...
And the expressions on little Edo's face were so dramatic,
Ed's dream was wow... You could feel it was a hell of a nightmare! The animation in this place was brilliant.
The music near the end was *___*. I'll be the one who gets the OST (if there will be one) first.
I loved the expressions of the military when Ed and Al were fighting.
And the flashbacks to Ishval were so dramatic. Very well made.

I was SO looking forward for the nightmare sequence and the Ishval flashback *___*
And they did it right >D
Mistress of Misery
*sigh* I had to watch it in mediocre quality with iffy subs, but oh well...

- Pacing was ok. Still fast, but I think I'm getting used to this series' speed by now.

- Ed really did look like a girl. o.O I think it was the hair. (it was kind of cute, though) And I agree that the art seemed a little off. Still, I don't mind that Ed seemed more vulnerable here, more like a normal teenager should. It shows more contrast between his harder exterior and the fact that despite everything, he's still only fifteen years old.

- I'm so glad they included the nightmare. <3 It was suitably creepy.

- When Scar appeared out of nowhere in front of the Elrics, I was like "WTF"? o.O Kind of...abrupt...but the fight scenes were good. Armstrong. *chuckle*

- Same with the soldiers suddenly appearing out of nowhere...they have some spiffy ninja skills. =.=;

- I like the way they handled Al yelling at Ed. Very manga-ish, very fitting.

Apart from that...I can't really think of anything else to say. It was a decent episode, not amazing like the last one, but still fairly good. I need to watch it in better quality. Dx Watching this series still makes me anxious that something will get messed up, but hopefully my paranoia will be reduced as time goes on...

The next episode...is covering two chapters? Huh. Well, that does seem to be the default speed right now.
HannahBlack09
They did a fair job with this episode. It had a quick pace, but they still managed to show the most important things of the two chapters. What I loved was:

*The nightmare, it gave me chills. It was really really creepy. I also loved Ed's expressions when his mother was stroking his hair. Also the face he had when he woke up was incredible.

*The Ishbal flashback was awsome.. really dramatic.

* The part of Riza calling Roy useless was great too laugh.gif

The only thing I was really looking foward was that image when Scar destroys Ed's automail and he has this big shock face. I was hoping I could see it with this new animation.

Imbris
I must've watched the same stream as Mistress. I don't speak Japanese, but I know the subs weren't that great.

Anyway, it was a great episode. The pacing was fast, but not too fast. I never got "lost" in the action, which is really all that matters when it comes to a fast paced anime. I'd much rather have it at this speed than the crawl that was/is DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach.

I love how Armstrong totally owned Scar. BEHOLD ARMSTRONG'S BEAUTY!

I'm not sure which was creepier...Ed's dream or the Ishval (Ishbal? Which is it!) flashbacks. I think I have to pick the wonderfully drawn bodies in Ishval.
mira mirth
Oh, I really enjoyed this episode. I don't quite know why, but from the nightmare onwards, it just grabbed me and didn't let go. Maybe it's because my recollections on how exactly things play out in the manga are kind of iffy until a certain point - so this felt sort of like watching new material and was therefore very exciting.

Ed's nightmare is likely to give *me* nightmares. I was so totally not expecting that transmuted Trisha.

Scar pwns everyone. He pwns a bit too much, really, because, yeah, so many people there, three State Alchemists - and he escapes almost unscathed. And later we're shown that State Alchemists are ultimate pwnage, because they pretty much destroyed the whole of Ishbal. So... a bit of a discrepancy, but sure sets Scar up as a super-cool adversary.

I spent most of the episode telling Ed, "Sweetie, move! Now! No no no, stop dithering around, RUN!" I don't quite get his reasoning for lying around like a rag doll once Scar isn't looming over him any longer, but he was generally quite angsty in this episode, so I'll take it as part of the package.

And as I was watching the Lior scene and listening to the Homuncili discuss war breaking out, for a moment there I was like - wait, why are they doing this again? And then I remembered that there's actual good reason for it in the manga, with the map and the conflicts and the diagram and the need for them to shed blood at strategic places. And I was so, so happy that it made sense, unlike the half-arsed plan to make people kill each other and hope that it would somehow produce a Philosopher's Stone!

Oh, and Hawkeye is awesome.
Trakonda
Seriously, I've got a feeling that this episode had a different artist.. Everyone, especially Edward and Alphonse, looked somewhat different.. and the animation was different, too. o.o However, I have to admit that I loved it; it was so fluent! When Ed woke up from his nightmare and moved on his bed, and some of the talking/action scenes were very nicely animated, too.

The whole 'sacrifice' scene with Scar wasn't as good and dramatic as it was on the first FMA, but it was nice nevertheless. smile.gif At least they did REALLY good job with the face expressions. Great episode, as usual!

Oh, and the music when Al screamed at Ed was beautiful. I want to have that as mp3! XD

One thing that bothered me a bit though was.. the 'last' battle with Scar with all the State Alchemists around. It was a bit slow, everyone just kept talking and talking instead of the action. No wonder Scar managed to get away! XD
..And it wasn't all that logical that while he was so close touching Ed's head, he rises his arm and steps away from him from a sound of a single gunshot. If killing all the state alchemists is his main goal, wouldn't it have been just simple to finish off his job and then start running?
No, I definitely don't want Ed dead, and it isn't even possible considering the plot.. but it was a bit weird, nevertheless. XD
C. Eduardo
I thought the transformation of Envy exaggerated.
Hughes will be an idiot if him fall on this trick.
Envy seems more discreet in the morph, without red lights.
Kasumisty
QUOTE (Trakonda @ May 3 2009, 10:13 PM) *
..And it wasn't all that logical that while he was so close touching Ed's head, he rises his arm and steps away from him

Uh, it's a normal human reaction to get frightened by such a loud noise, especially when it comes from nowhere (the street was completely empty and boom, military appeared - now THAT'S illogical)

I thought the transformation of Envy exaggerated.

Envy seems more discreet in the morph, without red lights.

Yes, I agree. Maybe authors wanted to stress his transformation. But I almost got epilepsy'
RoyxRizaFan
I didn't have a problem with the pacing. It is a fast paced battle, isn't it? I liked the episode, from the humor to the angst. I don't know what sub you guys watched, but the one I saw was really amusing in the wording of things, like Riza asking, "Why is he naked?" and Havoc saying, "Well, the reasoning is sure to be crazy..." and Roy going, "Oh, sh!t" when he found out that Scar was after him laugh.gif

And of course, I loved the 'useless' line.

And I agree, the animation was a little strange, especially at the beginning of the episode, but it got better after the scene with Ed and Riza (her eyes were HUGE there, and it was really creepy)

Anyway, next chapter is a combination of Marcoh and Resembool, then? Should be interesting to see if they can pull off the pacing.
edxwinryfan
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I can't wait for the next episode when we get to see Winry again! happy.gif This episode was pretty good smile.gif
Tombow
QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ May 3 2009, 04:28 PM) *
And I agree, the animation was a little strange, especially at the beginning of the episode, but it got better after the scene with Ed and Riza (her eyes were HUGE there, and it was really creepy)

Yeah, as if some parts of this episode was done by people who did the first series.
Manga-like Riza disappears and Riza turns into one with really typical "huge eye" anime-face. That was little strange. Hughes looks closer to series-1 Hughes with smaller nose also in some portions of this episode. tongue.gif

But, that and some logical holes aside, I enjoyed this episode very much.
Pacing was fine with me. I'm glad they included Ed's dream scene. It was sufficiently shocking and creepy for my taste.
Loved "uselesss" scene. Riza powns there. ^^
And, I liked the scene with Ed and Al talking at the end. Less serious and lighter mood than series-1. I liked the way they made the scene in series-1, but I enjoyed this one also.
Kaosugoji
Ed getting his arm blown off by Scar was always one of my favorite FMA moments. Putting it in the middle diluted the impact. The pacing was quick, but this couldn't be split into two episodes without having to pad them both out. I'm more worried about condensing the return to Resembool/meeting with Marcoh storylines, especially since the Resembool chapter has enough to warrent a full episode.

The emotions and characterizations were dead on though. The staff really nailed the brotherly bond between Ed and Al in this episode.
Anakishi
Finally, I was able to watch the nightmare scene! biggrin.gif Pretty cool, but not so shocking, after all the spoilers.
I'm not so sure about this 1 ep/2 chapters speed, I mean, they did this one quite well, but I'm still worried about next one.

I think I know what looked off about Ed's appearance, and why he looked like a girl: it was definitely the hair. Sometimes, it was too long, most of the time it was too short! It did make him look really helpless, which I enjoyed, but he was also like 2 years younger. Romi Paku didn't do as good as she did last episode: her voice was a bit monotone...

The scene with all the millitary people popping out of nowhere was so unrealistic it was actually funny. And what the hell was up with them, pondering about Scar's motivations instead of, you know, shooting and arresting him?! Scar abandoning Ed when he found another target was rather strange, too. And I can only guess Ed was at shock, so he couldn't get up by himself.

Other than that, great episode, loved all the humor, and absolutely ADORED the animation, It felt just like a movie! <3 The sound when Mustang tried to make a spark was priceless, Armstrong was, eh... himself, and the Lior conflict was done nicely. Envy's voice totally suits him, you can't tell wether it's male or female happy.gif

@WinterChanterelle: I'm also so glad the homunculi's plans make actual sense this time! Never bought that junk about starting wars, sitting and waiting for something to randomly happen ¬¬
Radadinator
Overall, this episode was pretty sweet. Not as good as the Nina episode, but with better pacing than episode 2.

Ed seemed a lot more passive while fighting Scar than in the first anime, but I guess it's because of his vulnerability, which I'm glad they made more apparent in this episode. I also liked how the chase scene was drawn out, made everything look more haphazard.

The animation quality wasn't that great. (Especially with Al.) Hopefully they're saving the budget for more important scenes.

Scar popping out of nowhere didn't make any sense, but the music abruptly ending there was nice.

And I liked that shot near the end with Winry and her geeky goggles.

It worries me that they're condensing Marcoh and Risembool into the next episode, though. :/

Trakonda
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ May 3 2009, 11:27 PM) *
QUOTE (Trakonda @ May 3 2009, 10:13 PM) *
..And it wasn't all that logical that while he was so close touching Ed's head, he rises his arm and steps away from him

Uh, it's a normal human reaction to get frightened by such a loud noise, especially when it comes from nowhere (the street was completely empty and boom, military appeared - now THAT'S illogical)

Well yeah, but that wasn't the main thing that really bugged me. He was so close to killing Ed, yet he left him all alone after he saw Mustang. I dunno, maybe because they were confronting him, but Ed would have been an easy catch to do out quickly, just laying there by his feet.

But heck, that's how anime always works. tongue.gif

Sorry, I guess I didn't type that clearly enough in the first post. smile.gif
Kasumisty
No problem smile.gif

About Ed laying still, maybe he was in deep shock (after all, a lot happened to him in such a short time) or he wanted to die. He seemed broken since the Nina incident

Or maybe he fell asleep...

Btw

That smile kills kittens...
Trakonda
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ May 4 2009, 12:45 AM) *

That gave me good laughs. XD I could totally imagine that:

Al: "Brother! Get up! Run away!"
Ed: "Zzzzzz...."

But yeah, it definitely must have been the shock. I would be like that too, if such thing happened to me. D: That's actually what I loved with this episode - it made Ed feel more natural. He IS just just a 15-year old kid who just was confronted by a killer, after all. Anyone would feel vulnerable at that point. o.o
Haineko
I can't get over how gorgeous the animation is O.o (even though there were some weird faces occasionally, but it didn't bother me that much). Some thoughts:

- Liked the addition of Al in the room when Ed wakes up. It adds a nice dynamic of having an observer witness Ed's grief.
- Missed Hughes's snarky "Are you telling me to put this corpse on trial?" line, but it wouldn't have made sense because he was investigating Scar, and I would gladly take more Hughes screentime over snark. Although Hughes will have plenty of snark later on, so I'm comforted.
- Also loved how the animators depicted how the riots in Liore started, it all tied together very nicely and made perfect sense. In the manga, it just seemed like Envy was randomly playing dress-up, but here it actually serves a purpose. Nicely done! Envy's voice was also spot-on PERFECT. Fantastic casting there. Not loving Gluttony's voice as much, I hope the whole dementia in his voice is toned down, and the cuteness aspect cranked way up.
- I was expecting that poor soldier to appear before Ed and Al, so it was really surprising to see ZOMGSCAR!! suddenly standing right there. I liked the sequence with the silence, then the clock chiming, and Al pulling Ed to safety. He's done that twice already, huh? Thank you, animators, for making Al awesome again.
- OMG THE STAIR SEQUENCE! I was going, Oh Snap! the whole time ^^
- The breaking of Al's armor and Ed's arm didn't have as much impact as the last series, IMO, but still nicely done. I also didn't like the way Ed was just laying there pitifully on the ground the whole time, even after Mustang-tachi arrived, but that's about the only thing that really bothered me this episode.
- The USELESS! scene was fantastic, as mentioned by others ^^
- As for why the military didn't just shoot Scar when he was completely surrounded, well... I agree it's a bit unrealistic but I'm assuming they didn't want to have Ed and Al get caught in the scuffle as well. They were also trying to capture Scar, not kill him, I believe, hence Riza only tried to wound him.

Overall, another great episode! Not as good as the last one, personally, but definitely the second best so far. I'm also worried about the next episode... the pacing wasn't too bad here, but I'm afraid to see what'll happen when they attempt to cram a naturally slow expository chapter together with another chapter that's stuffed with plot. At this rate, Hughes is gonna be dead by the time we hit episode 10 XDD
mira mirth
QUOTE (Trakonda @ May 4 2009, 01:02 AM) *
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ May 4 2009, 12:45 AM) *

That gave me good laughs. XD I could totally imagine that:

Al: "Brother! Get up! Run away!"
Ed: "Zzzzzz...."

That explains so much! Ed, plagued by horrible nightmares, finally manages to get some shut-eye - only to be woken up by inconsiderate soldiers. Honestly, the nerve of those ruffians!

... Yeah, okay, I do agree that he's in shock. It's just very odd to see Ed, of all people, reduced to being so utterly useless. Besides, I'd expect him to have been in a few dangerous situations before now, if the thing with Cornello is anything to go by. Perhaps it's the fact that he's specifically targeted by a maniac and finds himself without his trusty Automail. And he's in the middle of an Nina-angst, anyway, so it's a bad time...
Sword Alchemist
Such an awesome episode. I like this Scar much better than the first anime's Scar. I like how Roy's crew is more protective of Ed. I see Roy as much more of a father figure towards Ed then I did in the last anime.

So we get to see an older Winry next episode. And Marcoh too. I wonder if they're going to combine the Risembool and Marcoh episodes.

Hagaren_4ever
QUOTE (Sword Alchemist @ May 3 2009, 08:30 PM) *
Such an awesome episode. I like this Scar much better than the first anime's Scar. I like how Roy's crew is more protective of Ed. I see Roy as much more of a father figure towards Ed then I did in the last anime.

So we get to see an older Winry next episode. And Marcoh too. I wonder if they're going to combine the Risembool and Marcoh episodes.

I personally think that it would be better to do the Risembool story line FIRST, just because it would flow better. I just thought it was weird how in the manga, after the Marcoh told them where they needed to go to Central, they were so excited about it. They were like, "Next stop, CENTRAL!..... But first we need to stop at Risembool and learn stuff about the past." Maybe it would be better if the order went like this:
1. Battle
2. Get things fixed up
3. Go to Marcoh
4. Go to Central
Instead of:
1. Battle
2. Go to Marcoh
3. Get things fixed up
4. Go to Central

The order was just all.... jee-wockered, ya know?
Anakishi
BTW, did anyone else think Ed looked a bit retarded there, when he met Scar?
"Oh, my. This is bad. I gotta run. This is bad. Bad..." - Alphonse, run!
That made sense in the manga, when he was "woken up" by the clock, but this time, it kinda reminds me of Homer Simpson when he was called "slow"...
Sword Alchemist
Winry looked like such a dork in those goggles at the end. Hehehe.

Am I the only one liking the fact that these series doesn't have a Hughes overkill like the last series? Or the fact that none of those filler episodes such as Psiren, Tringham Brothers, or even the ever popular Flame Vs. Fullmetal doesn't exist.
penguintruth
More composed thoughts on the episode:

As an adaptation of the source material, the episode was excellent. The pacing was a tad hurried, but it felt more natural than the third episode, and was really just fast compared to the last, which was more word-heavy than action-packed. Little bits like Ed's nightmare, Alphonse telling Edward that they should survive to help more people like Nina, and the Ishbal flashbacks were well-appreciated.

A problem I had with the episode was that Scar just sort of appeared. In the manga, a soldier comes up to them and warns the brothers, and falls victim to Scar. This is necessary because the soldier is the reason Scar knows who Ed is and it shows exactly Ed what he's about to try to do to him.

The animation was all over the place, though. It felt like little emotional moments like Ed with Al in the alley when Al was scolding Ed were better animated than some of the action sequences. When Roy was talking with Armstrong and Hughes, there were some off-model moments. In fact, any time Riza appeared she looked different than before. I was disappointed that the episode wasn't well-animated throughout, because the material certainly deserved it.

The music is improving steadily. It's not as stand-out as Oshima's tracks, but at the same time, it compliments the scenes without obstructing it, so it serves its purpose. The voice acting is pretty good, too: Envy's new VA sounds a little less devious for now, but it's Dilandau's VA, so I'm sure she'll cut loose with him later on. Scar's new VA is so excellent, I like him just as much as the previous. Lust's is okay. I can't get use to Gluttony's new VA, though. I've gotten used to Shinichiro Miki's Roy.

It somewhat falls sort of the built up tension in the first series, though. We found out so much in episodes 14 and 15 of that series, and in the midst of a lot of action, without it seeming like people were just standing around talking while they should have been in action like here. I mean, really, with that many soldiers there, they couldn't have immobilized Scar? In the first series, Scar used his skills to scatter the troops. And Ed didn't put up as much of a fight here, either.

A good episode, but it didn't have as much impact as I thought it should have.

sidekick.kep37
@ Sword Alchemist I am so happy those fillers don't exist here.... I mean the Flame v. FullMetal was cool and all that jazz, but... I dunno. Maybe they should throw a remake of that in the dvd or something..... Yeah, that last sentence came out of nowhere.

My thoughts in order:
-In the dream scene, I initially thought Ed was a girl cuz... he walked like one and the hair was, like, kid-Winry length...
-Whoa!.... What a creepy dream.... -shivers- Never thought the "thing" would pop up...
-Oh, poor Al. Sitting there, by himself at night cuz he can't sleep, reading. Super brotherhood moment right there
-Whoa, Al looks weird. And Hawkeye too. Oh no, it really is like the Anime1 artists work! Agh, I hate when Riza has super ginormica eyes.
-Scar... popped out of nowhere. I was looking forward to the MP getting blown up, but oh well.
-@ Anakishi Yes, I thought Ed was a bit retarded sounding at the "gotta run run run run run" part.
-Agreed. Military popped out of nowhere. And did Scar really just leave Ed like that just for Roy?
-OH!! OH! WHOA! HAWKEYE FTW!!!!! I replayed that "hawkeye's special attack" scene over and over again. She practically horizontally cartwheeled that. I'm in love with that scene....
-Aw, I was hoping Hawkeye would get another scene full of win, but the camera angle for the rifle shot wasn't exactly like it was in the manga. Oh well, can't have everything.
-Ed and Al's moment was super touching. I loved it. Music was awesome and when thesun came out, it looked like a painting. Very nice.
-Wait, Resembool and Marcoh together? OH jeez, that's going to be going like a 5000000 mph episode.
-Hey, Winry's eyes are super blue!

Overall, I thought it was alright. The pace was good... I thought it flowed decently, but not super great. Give it something betwen a 7.5 and 8.4.
crazyanimefan
New episode was pretty good. Not as good as Nina, but still good.

I agree with many previous posts that Ed was perhaps a little TOO vulnerable, like just laying there, but I suppose he was rather angsty this episode, so I'll let that slide. I'm a tad disappointed since Riza was constantly changing. I wish the animation was more consistant with her character. My favorite part was Al scolding Ed. It was very manga-esque and I appreciate it. It made me very emotional. Scar suddenly appeared, which was odd, but the animation was done pretty well.

The Homunculi part in Lior was great. I liked the reference to sacrifice, which will come in very nicely as the series progresses. Also, the Lior riots was a nice touch. I adore Envy's new VA and have high hopes since it is Dilandau, one of my favorite characters from one of my favorite animes. I do not like Gluttony's voice. It grates on my ears.
Jen_Elric
Well, I just really enjoyed this episode! The pacing was fine to me. I didn't even notice if the pacing was fast.
The dream was CREEPY!! I was totally creeped out when Nina and Alexander morphed into the chimera.
Oh my, Ed is sexy there with his hair down.><
It WAS strange that Scar just appeared! One second he's not there , then POOF!
I was not at ALL bothered by Ed's pause before finally running. You guys have to understand that he was so deep in his mind, thinking about his sorrow, that when he realized that Scar was going to kill him, he tried to make his legs move. He was just that terrified. If you were deep in thought, and someone just put a gun in your face, you wouldn't run right away. You would be frozen stiff by terror, until your brain sent down the message to MOVE.
I LOVE Hawkeye! hehe, her "useless" comment to Roy was awesome.
I thought the animation was good, but not consistent.

I can't wait for the next one, but I hope they won't rush through it. But hey! Get to see Marcoh!! happy.gif
CrystalMoonKiss
QUOTE (Sword Alchemist @ May 3 2009, 06:30 PM) *
I like how Roy's crew is more protective of Ed. I see Roy as much more of a father figure towards Ed then I did in the last anime.

I loved that feeling wink.gif

I thought it was an amazing episode. The art was beautiful (but inconsistent, though) and I didn't feel it too rushed. I love that they are keeping the manga humor.

I'm worried about the next episode as well, but I guess a lot of us are in the same boat biggrin.gif

PS. Out of lurking, sorry to intrude happy.gif
Vagrant
I was a bit disappointed by this episode. I enjoyed the humour (Hughes "freakshow" stuff, Armstrong in general) and I was still moved by Ed and Al's story in it, but it was still a big letdown after last week.

I wanna mention the good choral music when Ed and Al are talking. It was in a previous episode too. I'm guessing this is like the new "Brothers".

QUOTE (penguintruth @ May 4 2009, 02:40 AM) *
A problem I had with the episode was that Scar just sort of appeared. In the manga, a soldier comes up to them and warns the brothers, and falls victim to Scar. This is necessary because the soldier is the reason Scar knows who Ed is and it shows exactly Ed what he's about to try to do to him.
I know. I much preferred the manga version of that, because it was just far better dramatically. Not only does it set up Scar in front of the boys and such, but Roy dispatching people makes him seem a fair bit smarter as well.

I was also a little irked by the fight scenes. I didn't mind some of the extra stuff, but I don't like that whole pillar hopping thing Ed has been doing in the original fight scenes (episode 1 did it notably). It's just too OTT for FMA.
Though Armstrong versus Scar was handled well and is suited to being over the top.

Where was the mandatory shot of Ed falling in slow motion with the look of surprise and horror on his face as his automail is blown up?
I know we've seen it in the manga and the original anime and pieces of art, but not only is it very cool, but it's a fairly important moment.
I just didn't like how they handled this scene. There were a lot of opportunities for better cinematography and such. (such as the shot in the manga of Al trying to crawl at them)

I was rather annoyed by the whole scene with the military though. Roy and Scar's original dialogue was better in the manga.
Scar's bullet dodging was way too ridiculous and well, slow. Hawkeye missing him from that close makes about zero sense. Never mind the rest of the military being there.
I think the old anime handled that a LOT better. And made Hawkeye's first badass moment a lot more badass. (even if it was less than like the manga)

I also noticed the art didn't seem to look as good this week, but I can't at all put my finger on why. Or as accurately as any of you guys have.

Oh, and I was surprised to see it spelt Ishval. I though Ishbal was the accepted one now.

Also, I've decided to start rereading the manga along with the show. After each episode. I just caught up this week and read these Scar chapters just nowish.
(and I realise I'm about three weeks late here, but double-u tee eff was with Cornello turning into a monster?!)
Radadinator
QUOTE (Vagrant @ May 3 2009, 08:05 PM) *
I wanna mention the good choral music when Ed and Al are talking. It was in a previous episode too. I'm guessing this is like the new "Brothers".

Yeah, I was thinking this too. I think I heard a different, instrumental version of this choral music around the part in Episode 3 when Al was talking with Rose, so I'm guessing that if they made a second version of it, it's probably the new "Brothers".

Scar could've easily killed Ed off before going after Mustang, but I suppose he saw a bigger threat in Mustang, while Ed was busy fainting from hypothermia due to the rain and shock. And the soldiers probably didn't want to risk shooting while Scar was in close combat with Mustang, Hawkeye, and Armstrong.

Tezrath
Hey, all

Thought I would post my theories on a couple of the 'odd' moments of this ep that everyone keeps commenting about

Odd scene 1) Ed lying there helplessly as Scar reaches to kill him

For starters, as everyone has been pointing out, he's pretty much in shock. He's all angst ridden that he couldn't do anything to help a little girl, Al has had his armor ripped appart and can't move, and lets face it: without his automail arm Ed is pretty helpless against Scar. His confidence in himself is pretty much shot at that moment. He has no reasonable belief that he can fight Scar off. His choices are to stay and be killed--whether he tries to fight without an arm or alchemy, chooses not to fight--or run. And he refuses to leave Al. Can't say that he was really thinking straight but he chooses death in return for Scar's promise that he leave his brother alone. Scar agrees... and so Ed lays there awaiting his 'fate'

... which of course is why Al is yelling at him after Scar flees. LOVED that moment--especially the look of shock and incomprehension on Ed's face biggrin.gif

Odd scene 2) Scar leaving Ed alive and turning to the military

Makes perfect sense to me. Ed is not a threat. He is laying there (pathetically, I might add) and was waiting for the death that Scar decreed for him (in return for sparing his brother). After dealing with the meddling troops Scar no doubt feels confident that Ed will still be there. He won't leave his brother, he can't use alchemy with his arm destroyed, and Al can't leave either with his damage. In other words, they are going nowhere. More important to Scar is hearing Mustang's name. That's when he steps away from Ed. Mustang is, after all, one of the 'war heroes' of the Ishval massacre... Thus Scar would undoubtably bear more of a grudge against him then against a kid that was 2 at the time the fighting began, and 9 when the actual massacre took place. Targeting Ed is because of the State alchemist certification. Targeting Mustang is personal.
edo little kid
QUOTE (Tezrath @ May 3 2009, 09:05 PM) *
Odd scene 2) Scar leaving Ed alive and turning to the military

Makes perfect sense to me. Ed is not a threat. He is laying there (pathetically, I might add) and was waiting for the death that Scar decreed for him (in return for sparing his brother). After dealing with the meddling troops Scar no doubt feels confident that Ed will still be there. He won't leave his brother, he can't use alchemy with his arm destroyed, and Al can't leave either with his damage. In other words, they are going nowhere. More important to Scar is hearing Mustang's name. That's when he steps away from Ed. Mustang is, after all, one of the 'war heroes' of the Ishval massacre... Thus Scar would undoubtably bear more of a grudge against him then against kid that was 2 at the time the fighting began, and 9 when the actual massacre took place. Targeting Ed is because of the State alchemist certification. Targeting Mustang is personal.

Nice , I agree with you in this point wink.gif

and welcome in board!
penguintruth
I don't think it was weird at all that Scar turned to Mustang. Ed's already immobilized, he's obviously not going to run as long as his brother's there, and even if he did, Scar has a much better target in front of him.

I'm just baffled with Roy's lack of foresight in not having his troops fire until they're completely out of bullets. I know that "dead men tell no tales", but if it's this one man, killing the State Alchemists, and he's already killed Gran, eff him. The grandstanding by Roy and Armstrong is exactly what prevented apprehending Scar.

Protip to State Alchemists: Guys, you don't need to use alchemy in every situation. Sometimes, bullets work just as well. You're soldiers, not superheroes.
Hagane no Baka
Well I'm slightly dissapointed with this episode. But only slightly, it's like the quality of the episode fell on the level of the 3rd episode (which in my book means it's on the 3rd place out of 4 places by rating: 1st place: ep 4, 2nd: ep 1, 3rd: ep 3/5 and last ep 2). I personally am bothered with this inconsistency :/

Anyway I liked the dream scene and pretty much everything till the scene where Scar blows half of Al's armour. After that everything just seemed plastic again (the pacing was off at places). Am I the only who hated Armstrong's comedic flash? dry.gif I think it was done better in the 1st series. Here it just seemed out of atmosphere. I did love all Hughes' lines (here's some humour I do enjoy and I never get tired of it) biggrin.gif Mustang was a bit too cold. And the line where Ed's says 'We're both all torn up..' was made better the first time too. And the useless scene as well. And here's the thing that bothered me too:

QUOTE (penguintruth @ May 3 2009, 09:52 PM) *
Protip to State Alchemists: Guys, you don't need to use alchemy in every situation. Sometimes, bullets work just as well. You're soldiers, not superheroes.

The whole thing 'Scar miraculously dodging all of Hawkeye's bullets, Armstrong all to himself, military not firing' just seemed kind of illogical to me.

I also found the Ishval introduction kind of off, but I did love the scene where everyone's sitting at Mustang's office. It really captured the manga feel of that kind of curious moment happy.gif And I enjoyed where Ed sort of introduces what will happen next; when we get to see Winry, as well.

All in all, I'd give this episode 3 stars out of 5. To me it seems like this episode was another sloppy made one. They did a terrific job with the previous one, but only coz they knew this is one of the most famous FMA scenes in general and that people are going to expect much (and you can actually see this in the animation drop as well!) What, are they going to gradually drop to 'averageness' just coz people don't expect much untill another such episode comes forth? It's just like throwing a juicy steak to us so we can be satisfied for a while, afterwards we can get scraps and bones untill there's time for another feast :/ I don't know, I guess I'll have to rewatch the episode, maybe afterwards I'll like it better.

Oh and I do love the new Brothers theme! happy.gif
Becca-chan
I thought that this episode was alright...although I wouldn't say that it was outstandingly awesome, but it was good; that's all I can say about it really. XD;

The nightmare scene was played out very well; although unfortunately I didn't find it too creepy. ^^;
It was something that made me go 'Eeeech' but that's about it, although I once had to pause it for something and it stopped on when Nina and Alexander are morphing and that just made me feel disgusted. O.O;

I noticed some people have said about the art apparently being different and off-model in places in this episode...I can't really say that I noticed the difference in the art all that much and even if I did, it was no big deal.

The expressions were nicely done, and there were some parts that actually got me to giggle and other parts made me go 'Awww' ; All in all, this was a nice episode to watch.

I also managed to grab a limited number of screenshots from a high definition spanish sub, but I wouldn't say it's a wide selection.
Rayray105445
The episode was not very good... I just didn't get that old "My name is Edward! I am not bean sized!" Feel from it. I liked how Edward was frozen with fear, because it really portrays how young he is.

That beginning part though when Nina and Alexander morphed and Edo's mom turned into that monster thing made me feel sick. It was quite gross XD

Am I the only one who noticed they changed Edo's hair? Its not outlined anymore and its bit more frail!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.