Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 4: An Alchemist's Anguish - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tombow
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 8.

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 4 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 4 episodes.

* Where to watch this episode
NOTE: We are getting reports that so far TvAnts has failed to stream this episode. Streaming on KeyHole TV went as scheduled.

* HD Screencaps, courtesy of AA Battery.

* Transcription of the official English sub of this episode on Funimation.com, courtesy of Kale Mustang.

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(The episode title is from official sub, the preview part is translation by Tombow)
Episode 4: "An Alchemist's Anguish"
Ed and Al are introduced to "Sewing-Life Alchemist" Shou Tucker by Roy. Two years ago, Tucker has created a chimera that could talk human language, and since then he has been known as the authority in that field of Alchemy. While continuing their research at Tucker's home, Ed and Al meet Tucker's daughter, Nina. Meanwhile, Tucker's annual assessment for his State Alchemist status is drawing near, and Tucker is in distress (to produce some measurable results for his research as the Life-Sawing Alchemist for the annual assessment)....

NOTE: For the NEXT episode (episode 5) there will be a temporary change of air-time. Episode 5 will air Sunday, May 3 2009, 5:30 PM ~ 6:00 PM in Japan.

=======================================

Episode Summary: (courtesy of Edamame)
A mysterious man with a scar on his face combs the streets of Central City at the dead of night and meets face-to-face with the “Iron Blood Alchemist”, Basque Gran. The stranger tells Basque Gran that all alchemists who have gone against God shall perish. From the stranger’s words, Basque Gran recognizes his opponent as non-other than the killer who annihilates all alchemists. The alchemist enters into battle against his new opponent, and is soon murdered. The members of the military soon uncover the body of the Basque Gran; they learn that the murder of alchemists at the hands of this unknown man has not been an isolated incident. Much latter, at the main Headquarters in Central City, Mustang’s loyal subordinates discuss an incident surrounding Lieutenant Yoki. Yoki had been entrusted with the authority to overlook the mines of Youswell, but only ended up abusing his power in order to line his pockets with money from innocent townspeople. In the meantime, the Elric brothers revisit the events of Lior, and Ed speaks of his interest to learn more about the field of biological alchemy with hopes of finding something that would allow for him and his brother to get their bodies back. Mustang recommends that the boys seek out the help of the “Sewing Life Alchemist”, Shou Tucker, who is renowned for his work in biological alchemy and for transmuting the only chimera that could understand human languages. The brothers arrive at the home of Shou Tucker only to discover that he has run in on hard times ever since his wife left him two years ago. After learning of the brothers´ reason to research biological alchemy, Shou grants them access to his private library and shows them his laboratory. While performing research, Ed and Al meet Shou´s daughter Nina who takes an instant liking to them. After much hard research, Havoc comes to pick the boys up and hands Shou a letter from Colonel Mustang reminding him about the upcoming assessment. Shou tells Nina that if he can’t obtain a good assessment this year he will no longer be a state alchemist- this is his last chance. When the brothers return to Shou´s home to continue research several days latter, they are shocked to see that he has transmuted a chimera that can speak. However, Ed realizes that something is terribly wrong when the chimera addresses him as “big brother” and Nina is nowhere in sight. Ed comes to the horrific conclusion that Shou´s wife did not leave him two years ago- she was transmuted into his first chimera, and the new chimera before him is none other than Nina and her dog Alexander. Al stops Ed before he can kill Shou, and the brothers leave, devastated over their powerlessness and inability to help Nina. Back in the comfort of his home, Shou and his chimera daughter are paid a visit by the man with a scar on his face. The man kills both father and daughter and removes his glasses to feel the falling rain. He has the red eyes of the Ishablan people…

Characters in this episode: (excluding review and preview scenes)
East City:
Edward Elric
Alphonse Elric
Shou Tucker (Life-Sewing Alchemist) : Dies in this episode
Nina Tucker: Dies in this episode
Alexander (dog): Dies in this epiosode
Roy Mustang
Jean Havoc
Riza hawkeye (brief appearance)
Heymans Breda (brief appearance)
Kane Fuery (brief appearance)
Vato Falman (brief appearance)
Hohenheim (appears nanosecond, in flashback scene)

Central:
Scar (appears in East City also)
Bask Gran (Iron-Blood Alchemist) : Dies in this episode
King Bradley
Maes Hughes
Alex Armstrong
Maria Ross (brief appearance)
Denny Brosh (no speaking part, appears nanosecond, in the scene where Bradley shows up during the investigation of Basque Gran's death: info courtesy of Sword Alchemist)
Lieutenant Yoki (briefly mentioned, no real-life appearance)

Central
East City

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)
If anyone get any info on the scores used in this episode please post on this thread!!! ^^

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)
Chapter 5
Sannom
Does someone know what's going on? There is still nothing, neither on TBS, TBS-TV or MBS. Did they cancel it for important news? Because the thing going on on TBS seems pretty serious!
Alzea
Well, when I was watching it by TVAnts there was news but on KeyHoleTV it was ok. I watched FMA just like every week
ShadowCat17
I think it is supposed to air 3.5 hours from now
amestris_star
Watched it on streaming.

Best. Episode. Till. Now.

I cried... it's how all the series needs to be. This way.
Sannom
Shout! TVAnts must have had a breakdown or something, every channel was looping again and again on the same thing!
Alzea
I thinks this episode's pacing was good, not too fast and all. As amestris_star said it's the best episode so far...Since KeyHoleTv doesn't really like me so today sound was faster than pictures so I can't really say that much. But hey! There was Yoki or should I say his file. Does it mean that no Youswell in FMA:B? I just remembered how much I hate Tucker. Ha! Finally I felt like crying!...Could it be, that we will have useless comment next week? Okay, waiting for subs and better quality...
Haineko
QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 26 2009, 01:18 AM) *
Does someone know what's going on? There is still nothing, neither on TBS, TBS-TV or MBS. Did they cancel it for important news? Because the thing going on on TBS seems pretty serious!

That's what happened in my feed too, until I switched to an mms link. The episode played normally for me there, so I'm not sure what's going on.

As for the actual episode, umm...

I hate how adorable Nina and Alexander were. I was going oh^$# the whole time I was watching them because I couldn't help but get attached, and then that scene when Ed and Al walked in... gahhhhh.

I'll have some more detailed comments later, but suffice to say, this was definitely the best episode so far.

*goes into a corner and cries *
amestris_star
QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 26 2009, 10:35 AM) *
I thinks this episode's pacing was good, not too fast and all. A amestris_star said the best episode so far...Since KeyHoleTv doesn't really like me so today sound was faster than pictures so I can't really say that much. But hey! There was Yoki or should I say his file. Does it mean that no Youswell in FMA:B? I just remembered how much I hate Tucker. Ha! Finally I felt like crying!...Could it be, that we will have useless comment next week? Okay, waiting for subs and better quality...

They're referring to Youswell but not making an ep out of it, just like I had thought. They NEED to make reference to Yoki because of later on, with Mei arriving.
Yes, I cried too wink.gif
Trakonda
Wow. This is the first time I REALLY felt like crying about Nina's and Alexandra's fate. I don't know if I was just feeling sensitive today, but I really did. It seemed like everything was just as it should be on this one! Keyhole TV was a bugger with me too, but luckily I managed to catch most of the Chimera-nina scene.

I never felt like crying when I saw this on the first FMA anime. I don't know why, but.. something was missing, back then. But THIS.. this really brought tears to my eyes. Characters actually show emotions, even the end with Nina crying next to Tucker's body was beautiful.

Ed and Al sitting in the rain - Wow. :3

And again, great humour scenes, and they were placed really well.
Alzea
So true, Alexander FTW, I loved scenes with him and Ed^^
Yes, there was something in it. While watching first anime I wasn't crying at Nina and Alexander, now I did, so it's good^^
If so many ppl felt like this that means FMA:B is getting better and soon we can honestly say "It's made of awesomeness"
Elemental/Alchemist
Wow, first and foremost, as a veteran fan of FMA and this site it is truly a pleasure to return to this website and see Tombow (!!!!!) as a moderator (congrats!! for those who don't know, I used to post on the royai forum for a while, then after the series ended, well, it's been a while (but i still read the manga - and as such here we are today with a new, proper series happy.gif!!))

I used to find it weird that Bones would just let pass the opportunity to do justice to a great piece of work by, well, leaving it in dust as a misconstrued and remodeled work that didn't represent the original intent and depth of the work - now I'm finally shown what every fan of this piece of art has requested, a proper realization on the big screen (Oh, and lets not forget, More Maes/Roy fun, as well as Royai to boot)

I am especially pleased to see the gate included in the opening sequences... The gate in all its intended glory by Ms. Arakawa, who designed it not with an eye (like the first anime showed) but with the sephirot, the Jewish Kabbalistic Symbols of Heavenly attributes of G-d (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephirah).
The fact that they even showed this convinces me that they are going to do a good job making sure the anime pays tribute to the manga - b/c everything Ms. Arakawa included in her work is there for a reason

the example here: Alchemy was greatly influenced in europe by Jewish Mysticism and Kabballah (see information that Nicholas Flamel was given a book by a wandering Jew named "Abraham") - and the 6 pointed star of David is seen throughout the work.
Heck the lion/dragon like symbol of the Amestris Flag is similar to the city of Jerusalem's Lion, a city symbol

I am fully confident that Bones will do a wonderful job this time around (is it Bones this time too actually?)
Here's to hoping they include it all, b/c in artwork, every paint-stroke, every line is important and has meaning behind it, even when you don't notice it, and that's why I love this series...

Now as for the Episode we are up too - what I said applies here too... They did an excellent job with the Nina and Alexander storyline. In the original anime, i feel they adapted the story and attempted to rework the emotional aspects to fuel the possible turn about that would occur for Ed's future in the post episode 25 world (as is shown by Tuckers return as a Chimera near the end of the series). Here though, it's obvious intent is to follow the manga storyline, and keep to the heart of the issue that Ed faces as he struggles to find his place in the world he's been thrust into (that's what I think the Nina storyline is meant for - to introduce Ed to chaos, to have Ed and Al "grow up" and realize the world is a scary place - Ed and Al in the rain indicated this as well)

Again, here's to future episodes and more FMA manga goodness happy.gif
cheers fellow fans, cheers
Tombow
^ Thank you, Elemental/Alchemist!! ^^ Nice to see you back!! happy.gif

--------------

I was hoping to post this part of translation of interview with Ms. Romi Pak before the airing of this episode, but anyway, on the interview, Romi Pak-san said that the voice of Nina is done by a 9 years old girl, Ms. Sumire Morohoshi. And, at the recording of this episode she impressed everyone in the studio, including all the FMA VA veterans, with her amazing work for the VAing of Nina. smile.gif
(Ms. Pak described it as: watching Ms. Morohoshi work on that day "sent a chill on the spine" with her natural talent on VAing of Nina. ^^)

BTW, I haven't watched the episode yet. The episode sounds good, and I'm dying to watch it...

----------------------

OT:
QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 26 2009, 04:18 AM) *

@Sannom - I just checked the news in Japan, and the top news seems to be that Japanese government has issued some cautionary directive to all travelers to Mexico because of the Swine flu outbreak in that country. tongue.gif

So... knowing that the streaming of the episode on "official" streaming venue of KeyHole TV went fine, my guess is that the streaming of the episode on TvAnts might have been somehow blocked or altered for some reason?? unsure.gif
amestris_star
QUOTE (Tombow @ Apr 26 2009, 10:58 AM) *
^ Thank you, Elemental/Alchemist!! ^^ Nice to see you back!! happy.gif

--------------

I was hoping to post this part of translation of interview with Ms. Romi Pak before the airing of this episode, but anyway, on the interview, Romi Pak-san said that the voice of Nina is done by a 9 years old girl, Ms. Sumire Morohoshi. And, at the recording of this episode she impressed everyone in the studio, including all the FMA VA veterans, with her amazing work for the VAing of Nina. smile.gif

She did an amazing job... totally.
Thanks for the info, Tombow-san wink.gif
Sannom
Is that why they said Nina was a nine years old? I've not seen the episode, but I can guess her age wasn't given to us?

Oh, and how was the filler about Scar battling and defeating Basque Gran? I was kinda hoping it will be there, because we saw Gran's alchemy in the teasers, and I wonder how it turned out...
Alzea
Wow, this photos, niiice^^ Thanks Elemental/Alchemist. Yes, Ms.Arakawa is amazing.
Thanks Tombow for info. This girl really did a great job, it makes me wonder how Elysia's VA will do on Hughes' funeral...
I liked filler with Gran but I'd love to see Gran's death made as in the 15th volume's omake xD
amestris_star
QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 26 2009, 11:09 AM) *
Wow, this photos, niiice^^ Thanks Elemental/Alchemist. Yes, Ms.Arakawa is amazing.
Thanks Tombow for info. This girl really did a great job, it makes me wonder how Elysia's VA will do on Hughes' funeral...
I liked filler with Gran but I'd love to see Gran's death made as in the 15th volume's omake xD

With respect to Elysia... I'd better prepare a whole box of tissues.
Elemental/Alchemist
@ Tombow my pleasure, good to be back and see a familiar face happy.gif

QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 26 2009, 04:09 AM) *

Oh man they better do him justice and make that episode rock.... Hughes is a huge driving force behind Roy's entire storyline in the manga (as it is intended)... lets just wait and see for that one
Haineko
My initial impressions of this episode:

- The pacing was spot-on perfect. Having only one chapter to adapt into about 22 minutes' time did wonders, and I am very optimistic that this trend will continue now that from here on out, the plot moves forward quite complexly that will make abridging pretty much impossible.

- I didn't like the narrator recapping the previous episode and felt it really wasn't necessary. It might be intrusive in later episodes that require greater continuity, but I can live with it.

- I loved the introduction of Scar in the beginning as it manages to simultaneously fill in the holes with General Basque Grand's murder, introduce us to Denny and Maria (yay!), and not make me go WTF! like I did in the manga when Scar appeared out of nowhere at the end. The mini-fight was awesome to see, and Scar himself looked great, suitably menacing and mysterious. Did I mention I loved seeing Denny and Maria get more screentime? Oh, and it was great seeing Mustang's team again, serious love for that.

- I guess they're skipping over Youswell for sure then? Maybe they'll have some flashbacks when Yoki meets up with the Elrics later on.

- My GOD, Nina was sooo cute! T_T Sometimes I feel like VAs can try too hard to be cute, but her voice was just perfect. And Alexander was just as adorable, his little whines just pierced my heart. I felt like hugging them and snatching them away from that house. Those little scenes with Nina placing flowers on Alexander's head, and playing with the Elrics (fantastic music too) just made me tear up inside because I knew what was going to happen. I also liked the addition of that brief flashback that connected Nina's father being distant to Ed and Al's own father alone in his study.

- I was going ohsh--ohsh--ohsh-- the whole time Ed and Al were entering the house T_T

- That moment when Ed realizes the truth was just amazing. I love how the music just stops as his eye widens in shock. Silence was the only proper response for such a moment. Paku Romi's performance is amazing yet again. When Ed pushes Tucker against the wall and then Ed punches him over and over again... wow, that was such a powerful scene. And then the addition of Ed kicking away the pocket watch while Tucker obsesses over it was excellent as well. It really highlighted Ed and Al's questioning of themselves as alchemists for the first time.

- The rain scene was done very well also, I really commend the music for making these scenes come alive. And Paku Romi, Paku Romi, oh, how I love you! No one else could ever play Ed the way you can. I also liked the way the episode ended with Ed and Al sitting there in the rain.

So yeah, overall, the best episode so far. I have to say that watching this made me have a huge lump in my throat the whole time, which is unusual for me because I read this chapter over again just today, and I thought I was already prepared for it. Boy, was I wrong XD. Animation, at its best, just has the power to move people. Anyways, this was just such a well-done episode, I'm very pleased.
Anakishi
I can't believe TVants managed to crash on me right in time to miss FMA!! I woke up at 4:40 am for this?!
now I realize just about everyone had the same issue... ¬¬
Well, in my desperation, I managed to find a DDL link to the raw episode, and was able to watch it full, without crashing and/or synching problems between audio and visual (no offense to keyhole tv, I know it's legal and all, but it's just unbearable). All I can really say is YESS, I KNEW IT!!

I was kind of afraid of what they'd do to this episode, since the one from the first anime made me stare at the screen in total shock. This time around I am already aware of what's gonna happen, have read the manga and all, so I'm not gonna be in shock and that's okay... is what I thought. But I wasn't prepared for that: it was just about the same feeling I had the first time! Truly amazing, now I know I was right for trusting the producers.

So Nina's voice was really done by a 9 year old? Yeah, you can definitely tell. I always had the impression japanese programs refrain from using small kids for some reason. Well, that was some IMPRESSIVE acting, they should do this more often from now on.

I, too, enjoyed to see the little Hohenheim flashback that linked Nina's situation to the Elrics. Just now I realize why Ed made that face, and then suddenly wanted to play. It all makes sense! biggrin.gif That was something I missed, even after reading the manga. Good job, BONES.

That is all I have to say for now, and sorry about the incomprehensible english, it's 8:00am and I really need some sleep.
Claudius
Not a review, but a certain point connected to this story. I wondered what Hughes thought about the Tucker incident? Definitely not good. Here is a guy who cherishes the joy of fatherhood...and then he learns about this alchemist who betrayed that responsibility (the shock must have been bigger for AnimeHughes, due to the incident occurring shortly after AnimeElysia's birth). Bet he would like to use Tucker as target practice for his push-knives...
Forgive my OT mumble.
Becca-chan
Again, I haven't been able to watch the episode yet...so I can't give a review on what I thought of it. ^^;

Although for some reason, my heart's already starting to sink...I always said that I'd like this episode if they put certain factors in it and from what people have said/ been saying about it, it doesn't seem to have any of that in it.

But if it really is true that Shou cares only for his watch in this version...then to be honest, I prefered the original anime's version better; like a person who summed up Shou's personality in the first anime on a Japanese site that I visited a few days ago.
" There are two sides to him; A mad scientist and a loving father" ( although that quote is paraphrased ^^; but the Google translation I got, more or less implied that)

I don't know...maybe that kind of character personality contradiction just seems to appeal to me more; or I'm just taking peoples (who aren't too fond of him) words for granted and jumping to conclusions.
I just have to make up my own mind and see for myself, once I see the episode, right? < : (

Shou-alienated fangirl lament aside though, I would love more than anything to see the cute scenes with Nina and Alexander.
And if there was any scene I've always wanted to see animated, it's of where Chimera! Nina is crying over the body of her father.

I found that emotionally gripping and haunting when I saw it in the manga, so I'm pleased to know that they've included it in the episode. ^^
Hagaren_4ever
God, I wish I spoke Japanese. T_T
Is it out with subs now? now? NOW? XD
amestris_star
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Apr 26 2009, 03:10 PM) *
God, I wish I spoke Japanese. T_T
Is it out with subs now? now? NOW? XD

I've been craving that as soon as the live streaming finished XD
Goral
Decent episode, definitely the best so far (so the rest probably will be in 7th heaven ;P). I even liked the filler with Grand (although he died little too easily, considering he was one of the most powerful state alchemists there were). I didn't like that they've skipped Ed's trip to Youswell (I doubt they'll return to it later). It's official now that they're assuming everyone knows FMA. And that's it. There were more elements that I liked than I disliked so I don't have more to add.

And the subs were out few hours ago. Google
[The_Alchemists]_Fullmetal_Alchemist_2_-_Brotherhood_-_04_[848x480_H.264_AAC][4DE4B140].mkv
or
[The_Alchemists]_Fullmetal_Alchemist_2_-_Brotherhood_-_04_[1280x720_H.264_AAC][3802F060].mkv
temmy
Let's see . . . Initial thoughts after seeing it w/ bad subs:

Not only was the recap totally unnecessary, they wasted time doing it that could've been better spent developing the characters (i.e. Tucker and Nina).

Scene with Gran was nice. Introduced us to Scar as well as Scar's entire philosophy so that his appearance wouldn't be completely curious. I also loved seeing Gran's alchemy. The curious mention of Yoki was also a good way to introduce him, though I think many new viewers will completely miss his importance to the storyline. Nevertheless, nice way to cover their tracks and skip over the Youswell section of the manga.

Yay, office team! I love them. Heh. (Breda seems to have lost weight?) But was anyone else bothered by Roy's outburst at the Elrics? Seemed OOC for him and it irked me. I'm too used to seeing ol' untouchable Roy Mustang behind his desk. Bleh, that may just be me though. (I did love Ed's outburst. Hehe.)

Soundtrack when they first introduced Nina and Alexander (or somewhere close to there) - the piano melody section. Was great. I loved it.

I was actually rather annoyed by how the director kept trying to hint at Tucker's mad scientist side. It annoyed me. I'd rather have had more of the loving father than the glasses-with-too-much-glare b/c it would've hit me more when he used Nina and Alexander for the experiment. (Also, his entire crawling after the watch? I loved Ed kicking it out of his hand, but I don't personally think Tucker is quite that single-minded.

Ed's punching scene with Tucker was neat. His eyes when he realizes Nina/Alexander are right off to his left were heartbreaking.

The rain scene with Roy and Riza and Al - great, great, great. And, ha, Roy looks amazing in the rain.

Nina/Alexander's sniffing of Tucker's hand once he's dead has always killed me in the manga. Glad to see it killed me here too.

So, overall: Great, great blend of humor and seriousness in this episode. Didn't feel over the top, and I loved Ed and Al's scenes with Nina and Alexander. Seeing Ed have the flashback to Hohenheim studying in the lab also provided a nice personal connection with Nina. And Romi Paku = amazing. (Even though I think I still mildly prefer Vic because I like hearing things spoken in English). Pacing was perfect. Not much to actually complain about here other than some characterization issues that probably just have to do with how I interpret the characters themselves, so . . . Overall, very happy with this episode and can't wait for the Funi subs to come out. smile.gif
Hagaren_4ever
I swear to God, if I see one more website telling me that I have to take a survey before watching the episode I'm gonna kill the closest person to me. mad.png
spectator
nothing emotional for me in this episode. love the word fighting scene between ed and roy. By the way, it seems that roy ditched his paperwork to his subordinates again.

Finally, I'm looking forward to the 5th episode. I name it "Colonel, you're useless in the rain!" I guess we can see certain colonel growing mushrooms. laugh.gif
Hagaren_4ever
Can somebody tell me a SAFE website where I can watch this episode? Subbed, preferably. One that won't make my Spyware Remover freak out again.
crazyanimefan
This episode is the best so far. I really enjoyed it. The pacing was nice, and I loved the emotional connection we got between the Elrics and Nina and Alexander. The Hohenheim scene tied the group nicely together and sent little pangs in my heart.

I knew what was going to happen, but I still cried. Ed's face as he realized the truth was great. I think that kicking the watch out of Tucker's hand was a nice element and really made Ed and Al question the way of the alchemist. What really killed me was Chimera!Nina crying and touching her dead father's hands. So many emotional strings were pulled for me. The scene in the rain is really emotional. Paku Romi was fantastic in this episode. This is what episodes should be like.

Introduction of Scar, Maria, and Denny was done nicely. Also, the reference to Youswell and Yoki was a nice touch of the manga without actually going to Youswell. Glad they managed to introduce all these secondary characters that will become really important as we develop further.

I was annoyed a little by the unnecessary intro, but it didnt really detract from my overall impression of the episode. As a whole the episode was done excellantly.
edxwinryfan
Is this episode supposed to take place after the stuff with Cornello and Rose?
Kyelinn
Yes, because this particular scene in the manga takes place after all of that. I've yet to watch this episode! I really want to wait for some fansubs. tongue.gif But the internet company I'm with won't let me download torrents. D=
HannahBlack09
This episode was the best, I was totally what I was expecting. I was happy when I saw that Scar killed Tucker too cause that proved that they are really following the manga.

I cried a lot. The scenes with Nina I found it more intense that in the last anime.
FailToImpress
Nice to see people are really liking this episode. smile.gif

I've yet to find a sub but I'll get around to it tomorrow maybe.
Mistress of Misery
I think this episode was the first one to really impress me. Most of my thoughts have already been voiced by others, but here's a rundown...

- Pacing was perfect, minus the unnecessary recap at the beginning
- Scar and Gran's intro, as well as Maria, etc. was well-done. It was nice to see Gran put up more of a fight than in the first anime.
- Nina was SO cute.
- Loved the flashback to Hoheheim and then Ed deciding to play with Nina. It tied things together very well.
- There were too many hints about Tucker - it was like he was flashing a neon sign, "Hey, over here, I'm going to do something evil!" I'm not too bothered by it, though.
- That entire scene where Ed found out about what Tucker did and then hitting him... Here I was thinking that after reading the manga so much, I'd be prepared for it, but I got teary anyway. ;-; It was a heartbreaking scene. And my god, the music...
- Sitting in the rain + "We're only humans" + Romi Paku-san's amazing acting = bucketloads of tears

I was pretty impressed, as well as relieved to see that they didn't mess up this episode. Hopefully it'll only get better from here.
Cece
Oh god I felt like someone squirted a lemon in my eye I cried so much. best episode so far. They really need to do the Youswell episode. Hopefully it will come after episode 5.
Kyelinn
Oh god, somebody give me a box of tissues. I just watched the episode. The pacing in this was perfect... The episode was...perfectly heartwrenching. ;_; Why oh why did they have to make Nina as adorable as she was?! She was even cuter in this than she was in FMA1. Her voice actress too! What an amazing job that little girl did! TBH, I found this whole episode sadder than the first FMA Nina story tbqh. I always thought the manga story was more emotionally gripping, but seeing it animated truly confirmed that.

Ed's expressions were gripping and Paku-san's deliverance of Edward's lines throughout the episode were wonderful. She really made it tug at those heartstrings. I think the tears started when Ed was having it out with Tucker and then got worse when Nina was nudging at Tucker's hand saying "Daddy, Daddy" over and over and crying. ;___; Dear god. I have no complaints on this episode. It was truly awesome. I loved how Alexander tackled Ed of course and his little whines were so cute! The scene in the rain did it for me too. Paku-san, I bow to you! This episode just even further raised my hopes for this anime. It's going to be absolutely incredible.
Alzea
Oh, finally, DDL subs~! *goes dl it*

Next episode is "Colonel, you're useless in the rain!" you say? Nahahaha, so I thought, can't wait~!
Tombow
QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 26 2009, 02:38 PM) *
Next episode is "Colonel, you're useless in the rain!" you say? Nahahaha, so I thought, can't wait~!

The next episode, according to the official preview is "The Rain of Sorrow."
You can read the translation of the official preview of episode 5 on the first page of this thread. ^^
Alzea
Oh, well, "The Rain of Sorrow" sounds better, more FMA-like, but this about colonel, we know that there'll be Roy and mushrooms! wink.gif Fansubs aren't perfect, true, but for ppl not from US/Australia/Canada/UK/other country where FMA:B is streamed officially it's only hope - so just like me (at least till DVD realase)
Tombow
^ Well, of course, it's "useless" episode. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 26 2009, 03:13 PM) *
Fansubs aren't perfect, true, but for ppl not from US/Australia/Canada/UK/other country where FMA:B is streamed officially it's only hope - so just like me (at least till DVD realase)

And, just for people like you and other members of our board who do not have the access to the official sub, His Name is Unknown and Kale Mustang are kindly volunteering their time and efforts to create transcriptions of the official subs for FMA-2 episodes. I hope others can make a good use of the thread!! smile.gif
mira mirth
I'll be a rebel and say that I don't think the recap at the beginning of the episode is a totally bad idea. Right now it's unnecessary, of course, but by chapter 80 of the manga, or thereabouts? Every time a new chapter comes out I have to return to the previous one to recall where we're at, with the plot being so intricate. So in the long run, it might not be so useless.

Now, I'm probably in the minority again when I confess that this is my most hated part of the whole manga. I think. I *hate* Tucker and I *hate* what he's done and this particular flavour of angst is for some reason too much for me. Point being: er, I sort of skipped a few parts of this episode, so my review probably won't be so balanced, but - oh my god, Nina is so cute. Her voice! And Alexander was really well done - I love the scene where they have fun outside and Ed chases them with automail transmuted into jaws =) Really, really cute.

Which is, of course, why I couldn't bear to watch them become a chimera =( So depressing, my god. I did see some bits of it and from what I saw, they were really good too. Generally, this episode is very good in terms of pacing, I think. Ad the ending... Ed in the rain, faced with what being an alchemist could mean, how low one could sink, how fine some lines are - that was some pretty potent stuff.

I'm very glad this part is over, however. Tucker and Envy: two creatures I want to see dead. One down, one to go =)
edo little kid
Finally I saw the episode !!

perfect episode !!!

I cried ,,,,,,

it is difficult to crying on events you know it previously , but I do !!

I loved the confrontation between Scar & Basque !!

I loved playing with Alexander
hehehehe poor Edo biggrin.gif
he make me Strongly Laughing !!!!

(did any one noticed that Edo was very short in this episode XD)

also I liked to see Roy and Edo together

perfect sad music !!!

Edo sad expressions was a very great !!

I enjoyed in this great episode and I will wait the next always!!

Becca-chan
Finally seen it!

Hmm...I'm not really sure what I can say about the episode to be honest. ^^;
I liked the use of music as well as the cute moments when they popped up in it.

Also, the part with the revelation of Chimera! Nina did actually get my stomach to tense up with anxiety, even though I knew what was going to happen.
But I also think that it could of done with a bit more character development where Shou and Nina were concerned.

Although I'm pleased to see that it still went with the Tucker's being poor before the assessment...the part with where Shou said to Nina that they could play tomorrow though, I just hope that my sister's right when she said that he meant it more as a 'last time he'd get to do that' thing, rather than just as a trick. @.@;
( But to be honest, my gut is pointing to the latter rather than the former for some reason, even though I really don't want it to...)

I also have to confess that I laughed at two of the moments that I wasn't supposed to; the pocket-watch part and where Shou and Nina are laying in a pool of blood...but that last one is because of the fact that the aerial view made it look like Shou was doing some really weird dance move... I hate how my mind works sometimes. ^^;;

As for my opinions on Shou...I really don't know; I don't hate him...but my stomach kind of feels all sicky for my mind to actually think straight in saying anything positive.
I just hope that he was still a loving father to Nina before he snapped. ;_;

Also, the scene that I really wanted to see with Nina nudging dead Shou's hand and saying Daddy over and over again?
It successfully made me tear up. < : (
Hagane no Baka
W-O-W. FINALY! Yay, yay, finally!!! They did it! This what I was waiting for! They passed the test! blowup.gif

Akhem.. apart from the fangirl-ism, Yesh, finally a really awesome episode, not decent but awesome! <3 First of all let me start how in this episode I really appreciated the FMA: B art style. The dark, grey like couloring really matched the story when the episode was drawing to an end! somebody commented on how Bones showed Tucker's mad scientist's side too much and focused too little on the loving father side. Maybe. But then again, it did suit the fast (but not too fast) pacing of the episode. So to me it didn't really seem like that. I'm so glad I can finally say I'm used to the pacing!! <3 Plus I still say Bradley was faaar more obvious than Tucker. Tucker seemed like a neutral character to me at best smile.gif

I usually don't comment on these things but somebody also mentioned Nina's seiyuu is what, 9 years old? If that's true, than kudows to the girl! thumbsup_anim.gif I wish people in my country could do that dry.gif I also really loved the Nina-Elrics playing scenes. Now that was funny and cute! And the music gave a special something, I can't really pinpoint.

Ed's and Tucker's expression at the 'showdown' scene. Priceless. Ed seemed so intense! And when Tucker was crawling to pick up his watch, totally oblivious to the fact that he had just fused his daughter with a dog, two state alchemists witnessed the outcome, one even beat the living crap out of him. None of those things really mattered now. Nina is long gone. It's just the profession that matters. The silver watch matters, the silver watch.. That's what that scene got me thinking!

I really enjoyed how they showed the atmosphere and the personalities of Mustang's team. And Mustang himself was just how he must be too. I actully think this series captures his character more, than the 1st series. In FMA 1 he was too laid back. It's nice to see some cocky outburts on his side too. Besides at the end, when he was talking to Hawkeye and Ed in the rain, it showed Mustang can take things seriously. That scene was breathtaking too. I loved it how Mustang made a comment about the devil and when he compared the work of a soldier to the thing that Tucker, while walking down the stairs, like walking deeper into hell. And don't get me started on Romi Paku's performance!

Last but not least: Scar. There couldn't have a been a more artistic, not too overly dramaic introduction of his character. The Gran vs Scar showdown, the display of Scar's raw style, great foreshadowing on Scar's intentions overall and the cherry on the top, Scar's intense look at the torned sky, like looking at his own future, approaching it that wrapped the episode. Simply brilliant! girl_sigh.gif

P.S. I lol'd when I saw Yoki biggrin.gif Though I am going to miss the mine episode. It's one of my favourite episode, as far as humour is concerned sad.gif
spectator
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Apr 26 2009, 11:48 AM) *
Can somebody tell me a SAFE website where I can watch this episode? Subbed, preferably. One that won't make my Spyware Remover freak out again.

I think www.ani-zone.co.cc is fine. But I'm not sure if it's legal.
Hagane no Baka
Visit this thread: http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...showtopic=12700
Hagaren_4ever
Oh, I just finished watching it. (finally!) Anyway, this was, no doubt, the best episode so far. The next episode is going to be fantastic. I can't wait to see the battle with Scar animated! And also, no split-screen! I was afraid, when watching episode 3, that it was gonna become a common thing, but it didn't. (Thank God.) Oh, and after his battle with Scar, I think older Winry's introduced, so let's look forward to the episode after next. (If I know Bones, they're probably gonna stuff a little extra EdxWin in there for a pure fanservice.)

On a seperate note, does anyone know if those funny cap summeries were uploaded yet? And could you give me the address? Thanks. smile.gif
Anakishi
Forgot to mention something: I'm one of the few who didn't think the recap was a total waste of time. That narrator's voice annoys me so much I want to kill him, but at least he said some interesting stuff. Especially liked the "Stand up. Move forward. (...) Those words were also directed at Al and himself" (or something like that) part, since it introduced what I believe is the message of this episode: even when things get real ugly, you still have to move forward. From my point of view, FMA has its angsty and dark moments, but overall it's a hopeful and positive series, and they stick to that. Love it.

It seems the capsummaries are gonna be late again. Oh, well... it must be hard to make fun of this ep, anyways.
Full Metal Elf
So I finally watched it and thought it was WONDERFUL!

I'm so happy. They captured the sadness and anguish of this entire thing perfectly. I agree with some statements that it was even sadder than the previous version...and I was sad watching that one too!

I am so happy to see Scar again!! happy.gif. I missed the guy. Next episode is going to be awesome!

I'm really getting into this series more and more each episode.

I was sad that we're skipping Youswell...BUT...they mentioned Yoki, which is a good sign! So although we won't actually see the episode, we know he's still going to make his appearance as intended. Yay! happy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.