Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 3: City Of Heresy - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Full Metal Elf
QUOTE (spectator @ Apr 19 2009, 06:47 PM) *
QUOTE (Full Metal Elf @ Apr 19 2009, 05:09 PM) *
Anyway...I think once they get past some of this stuff here and solidify the anime into it's new story line, things will slow and hopefully be more strict, page-per-page manga based. Though, I am most concerned about Youswell still. That's in Vol. 1 with Lior and if they're going straight to Tucker/Nina how are they going to introduce Yoki?

Yoki, the train incident (may not be in the new series, since Mustang and co. already been introduced), and nina in one go. Anyone?

I just keep thinking of Hughes's life been shortened as the new series rushes to the major plot.

Editing out the train is fine...nothing really essential to the plot there.

But they can't edit out Yoki because he is essential to the manga plot (teaming-up with Scar and Mei later. He may not be a MAJOR character, but he's certainly part of a lot of action in the future...and to his liking actually had a major part in a recent chapter [if stealing Kimbley's car is considered major] happy.gif XPP lol )
Sword Alchemist
I like the new Rose much better than the Rose in the old anime. She seems more real this time around. And her hair is much better too.

I am liking this new series much better than the old one.
Colette
It makes more sense for Rose to have pale skin. I just think she looked so much better in the first anime season ;_;
His Name is Unknown
The pacing was a bit better, I enjoyed the extra development Rose received, and the direction is beginning to handle the emotional aspect of the brother's struggle in a more refined fashion - but having said that, I did not enjoy this episode.

The entire tenor of this series is too light-hearted and episodic for my tastes (zomg! philosopher's stone *cue recycled 3pic Latin choir*). I think I'm going to call it quits now and just enjoy the first series and the manga, because so far I've been disappointed by the new show.

It's too soon for me to put my all my thoughts in order, but suffice to say this show feels (to me) hollow and amateurish compared with season one. I guess it might have something to do with the fact that I'm currently watching Monster, and what that show accomplishes in a 24 minute episode compared to this is somewhat ridiculous. Slow-paced, thought provoking shows are more my style - the direction of this new season reminds me of Naruto or something (that Cornello-hulk scene was completely ridiculous). rolleyes.gif
Cece
I wouldn't really call anyone white in Fullmetal Alchemist except for Winry (blue eyes bond hair) because really who has Golden hair and eyes so I don't think we should try to translate FMA races to our world i would just call the Amestrian, Xingese or Ishbalan because it get confusing. If anything I would call everyone Japanese because everyone in FMA world to me with light skin is not white. Anyway I like Rose's new look she looks better lighter to me and the bubblegum pink hair was something I was happy to see go. Rose's character change was pretty awesome I have a lot of respect for her now. Her character was weaker and I like how she's portrayed as having a mind and having inner struggles. Cornello should have screamed more from the rebound and Ed was hot. I loved when he yelled to rose about how you can't bring people back to life ever. That was cool. I liked the humor and the split screen wasn't too bad. The pacing was much better in this episode though.
Radadinator
Finally, the pacing improved. Okay, it's still pretty fast, but it wasn't as fast as the previous episode, and they took the time to go over the important scenes (like the ending with Rose and the Elric bros.) slowly.

The plot twist with Cornello ordering Rose to shoot Ed and Al was nice, but Cornello on steroids was really freaking stupid. I guess I could see it as a symbolism of his hunger for power, but even so, that scene really wasn't needed.

I'm glad that they got rid of Rose's inexplicably pink hair, the parrot chimera, and the mutant chicken boyfriend, at least. With those combined, I think I can forgive the Hulk Cornello. Sort of.

I actually liked Gluttony's new voice. I think they're trying to give him an adult voice so that he can seem more retarded in comparison? Whatever, the acting was good.

Ed's a cynical jerk again, which is awesome.

I think the real test for this series is the next episode, since the Nina stuff in the first anime was probably the most emotional part of the series. If they mess up on Nina, then I'll be pretty unhappy. :/
fullmoon
I found it really enjoyable and I just loved how it had panels from the Manga. I was so stoked to see one of my favorite scenes in it: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/fullmetal_al...01/c002/14.html. As i mentioned in the future discussion thread XD.

I agree that the pacing was a bit fast at first but it got better. I'm so surprised they managed to fit two chapters in one episode...(Okai, After watching it with subs, the pace really wasn't bad at all.)

Cornella after the rebound really shocked me XD. (and how stupid was he for trying to use the Philosophers stone again after his arm got seriously messed up) I wish they didn't put that in and just stuck with the way the Manga did it. i agree that it was a bit ridiculous XD.

I just loved how devious Ed was! ^w^ and his laugh XD.

I was a bit bothered by Cornello's and Gluttony's voice...but Cornello's was only for one episode so i don't mind so much. Gluttony doesn't sound very cute XD. I'll take some getting used to.

Rose with the gun was really unexpected but it was nice to have a twist there =D.

The humor was great in this one, i couldn't help smiling along.

Music-wise for this episode, i think the first series score was more fitting (However, i still love the music of the new series).

Next is Nina...and as it's only a chapter in the Manga...the pace should improve and slow down.
Hagaren_4ever
QUOTE (Colette @ Apr 19 2009, 04:58 PM) *
What have they done to my beloved Rose? ;_;

From this to this!

I don't.... ever remember her looking like that. Where did you get that screen cap?

Anyway, while I'm on the subject of Rose's new look, I think the reason why so many people like this version as opposed to the version in the first series is.... well, you know when you get a new hair cut and you think that you like it just because it's a change from your old style but that opinion is only temporary? Yeah, I think it's kinda like that.

QUOTE (Radadinator @ Apr 19 2009, 09:46 PM) *
Finally, the pacing improved. Okay, it's still pretty fast, but it wasn't as fast as the previous episode, and they took the time to go over the important scenes (like the ending with Rose and the Elric bros.) slowly.

I was starting to worry when they sort of rushed the beginning and Al smashed the radio so quick, I was thinking, "Not again with this! T_T", but I was then relieved to see they improved the pace of things.

QUOTE (Radadinator @ Apr 19 2009, 09:46 PM) *
The plot twist with Cornello ordering Rose to shoot Ed and Al was nice

I'm happy to see that they're shaking things up a little. Rose 'as got a little bit of a rough side to her now! It's pretty bad-@$$! (Take that Lord Xenu. You censor me, I'll symbol your @$$.)
Animeoldtimer
Ed was a real jerk in this one and pretty self centered tongue.gif . But what's good about that is that it allows the viewer to see him evolve and grow as a person more strongly than he did in the original series. At least I hope that's the way it goes. Ed in the current manga is much more concerned about others than himself --a contrast from what he was like in the beginning.

As for Rose, I think she fits in better with the new look. In the first series I kept thinking she was Ishbalin. I like her personality better as well.

I liked that it was fast paced though and not stretched out for two episodes. I thought that it was done well. I actually liked Conello better this time around.

One thing that's getting to be a bit too much are the short jokes. Yeah, Ed's short can we move on now? .......at least for a few episodes. smile.gif
fullmoon
QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ Apr 20 2009, 12:18 PM) *
One thing that's getting to be a bit too much are the short jokes. Yeah, Ed's short can we move on now? .......at least for a few episodes. smile.gif

Yeah, it was but it was still funny XD. (I liked it better there than in the first episode)

Instead of short jokes,. we will have Alexander jumping on Ed XD.
Hagaren_4ever
QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ Apr 19 2009, 10:18 PM) *

Ah, you know that when they actually go a while without one, your gonna miss those short jokes. Then when they're back you're gonna think "How nostalgic!"!

True story. laugh.gif
jacksparrow589
I liked this episode overall. The humor was pretty oddly placed, though. (Come on, Ed, prancing off in the middle of stuff with your shirt partially ripped up? What's that all about?) Even so, I did like them keeping Ed's "Strike!" comment. That always got me in the first anime, and it made my day to see it in this one.

Rose looks... okay. It just looks like she's spent her whole life indoors or something. Her hair was better this time around, though. Pink is okay in most things... just not Rose's hair. The whole twist with the gun was nice, I'll admit. I didn't expect it to come back right in the end, though.

I do like the music, too, but again, there were times where I was going, "Wha--? Why this?"

Cornello sounded way different than I remember. Didn't particularly like that bit, but I can deal with it. Lust and Gluttony sound pretty good, though.

I think the next episode is where we'll get some real drama, though. Aside from whatever humor Nina brings, they just can't add any more in. I'm curious to see the paper-pushing, too. What's that all about?
Jen_Elric
Ok, this episode was ok. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. THe humor was a little over done. I loved seeing the part when Ed chamges his Automail into that blade, with that look on his face, but after that, it was too silly.
I liked Rose's new look. The color of her hair mathed well with her skin.
I HATED the rebound! Cornello getting all beefed up was so pointless, I actually adverted my eyes. But I did like it when Ed head butted him. I think that WAS in the manga.
The look on Ed's face when Roses said he could bring back their mother was great. It was heart breaking and what this series is great for.
I liked the scene with Lust and Gluttony. I never heard Gluttony's voice in Japanese before, but his voice DID sound weird. I"ll get used to it.
I can't wait for the next episode! It's going to be sooo heavy.
Kyelinn
QUOTE (Cece @ Apr 19 2009, 08:30 PM) *
I wouldn't really call anyone white in Fullmetal Alchemist except for Winry (blue eyes bond hair) because really who has Golden hair and eyes so I don't think we should try to translate FMA races to our world i would just call the Amestrian, Xingese or Ishbalan because it get confusing.

ROFL xD I wasn't meaning white in the literal sense of "caucasion" I was meaning white as in her skin is white/pale/creamy instead of tan/dark/olive-toned. In any case, Rose is Amestrian. She's not just some character with a unique, Ishbalan skin color like she was in the first series.
Kaosugoji
QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Apr 19 2009, 06:00 PM) *
The pacing was a bit better, I enjoyed the extra development Rose received, and the direction is beginning to handle the emotional aspect of the brother's struggle in a more refined fashion - but having said that, I did not enjoy this episode.

The entire tenor of this series is too light-hearted and episodic for my tastes (zomg! philosopher's stone *cue recycled 3pic Latin choir*). I think I'm going to call it quits now and just enjoy the first series and the manga, because so far I've been disappointed by the new show.

It's too soon for me to put my all my thoughts in order, but suffice to say this show feels (to me) hollow and amateurish compared with season one. I guess it might have something to do with the fact that I'm currently watching Monster, and what that show accomplishes in a 24 minute episode compared to this is somewhat ridiculous. Slow-paced, thought provoking shows are more my style - the direction of this new season reminds me of Naruto or something (that Cornello-hulk scene was completely ridiculous). rolleyes.gif

Don't you think you might be jumping the gun a bit there? It's only been three episodes, and even you noted the direction of the show seems to be improving. I suggest giving it a bit more time. Granted, it wouldn't hook a newcomer like me as FMA1 did, but I think the emotional core is there, and as long as it's not swallowed up by silly tropes, I'll enjoy this show even if it's an inferior product.

Oh, and even at its weakest, FMA has never been as formulaic and derivative as Naruto. I think most instalments of any version of the story have more intellectual weight than any episode of Naruto.
His Name is Unknown
QUOTE (Kaosugoji @ Apr 19 2009, 11:30 PM) *

Don't you think you might be jumping the gun a bit there? It's only been three episodes, and even you noted the direction of the show seems to be improving. I suggest giving it a bit more time. Granted, it wouldn't hook a newcomer like me as FMA1 did, but I think the emotional core is there, and as long as it's not swallowed up by silly tropes, I'll enjoy this show even if it's an inferior product.

Oh, and even at its weakest, FMA has never been as formulaic and derivative as Naruto. I think most instalments of any version of the story have more intellectual weight than any episode of Naruto.

Ah, I didn't mean to imply the plot/content of FMA was on the level of something like Nauruto buth rather that the direction of this new series seems to be focusing on trivial elements like short jokes at the expense of more weighty themes like resurrection, brotherhood, and desire that the first show tapped so well.

Another nuance of my statement, which perhaps did not shine through due to my subpar written expression was the fact that I consider FMA2's direction to be like Naruto in comparison to the equivalent episodes from season one, rather than due to a lack of creativity on the part of the creative team. My statement was actually much more specific than it may have appeared in the initial post, so please take this response as the full expression of my original intent.

As for whether I'm jumping the gun - considering that my original comments were based on my gut reactions, not really. I don't have a pressing need to see the manga animated because I'm happy with it as a piece of literature; and considering the fact that I found the first season to be something of a minor anime masterpiece, and this new season to be lacking from the start, there's no motivation for me to continue watching. Plus, I hate being a rain-cloud, especially over something which I enjoy as much as FMA, so I think it's probably more prudent to restrict my posting to constructive criticism on the manga board. I know a lot of people are enjoying this new season, and since I'm not, I'll be leaving the discussion to those more invested in the topic.

One final point concerning my decision: the set-up chapters that Bones seems to be rushing through to get to the 'real plot' were my favorite parts of the entire story. The brother's bond, the failed transmutation attempt, the events in Liore, Nina, and Hughes' death were THE highlights of the FMA saga in my opinion, and provided the emotional anchor which allowed me to so thoroughly enjoy the story which then unfolded. There are definitely a few more scenes from the manga that I consider to achieve this level (Roy's fight with Lust and Ed's defense of Winry against Scar being the which most readily come to mind); however, I enjoy them as they are in printed form, and the glossing over of my favorite material in FMA2 is really too bothersome for me to continue watching. Upon reflection, it is this fact, combined with my earlier complaint which render Brotherhood as an unenjoyable experience for me. I hope that clarifies.
Kyelinn
QUOTE (Kaosugoji @ Apr 19 2009, 10:30 PM) *

I was sort of thinking the same thing. How you can you base what this anime is going to turn out like on only three episodes, especially when most of the beginning story is identical to the first anime? =/ Naturally I can't see them being as thorough with the beginning episodes as they were with the first anime. I really think it's a bit too soon to call it quits. You should learn to give things the benefit of the doubt before making judgements, especially based on what you know in regards to the manga and the first anime. Oh, please don't misunderstand btw. I'm honestly not trying to be rude. I'm just asking is all. ^^;
Toby-Chan
This series seems completely half-assed and most of all, it feels dead inside. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

I'm totally rooting for it to get better. Especially since there are little hints that the creators are putting some care into the adaptation. But I'm not going to keep my hopes up at this point.

I guess I got too excited and raised my expectations to start with. sad.gif

ETA- Oh, PS- ROSE WITH A GUN!
ShadowCat17
I liked this episode, I think it was the best so far. The first one was a good intro to the characters, but I didn't really like the Isaac plot. The second one had great plot but it seemed rushed. This one basically covered what it needed to cover in Lior, in one episode instead of two.

I liked most of the humor, but the one with Rose pointing the gun at Al instead of Ed did not mesh with the mood of the scene at all. Perhaps they could have still had her make the mistake but the correction should be on a more serious note.

The expression on Cornello's face and the sound effects when he discovers that he is being miked is priceless. Classic FMA humor.

I wish they had kept the scene with Rose hiding inside of Al's armor - that was pretty powerful in the manga. It really wouldn't have been too hard to add. But I suppose it would have been harder to do the Rose/gun incident that way, which I do think was an interesting twist. I suppose it was a fair trade-off.

I didn't mind the split-screens, I didn't even really notice them.

The confrontation between Rose and the Elrics at the end was great. Both Ed and Rose's expressions and the emotion in their voices were perfect (Rose's desperation, Ed's sadness). A great FMA moment. And unlike someone else said, I think the music during that scene was quite fitting.

I'm glad they removed the whole bird-chimera thing. The boyfriend-chimera wasn't in the manga anyway, and one chimera is enough, especially when the next episode will probably well... have something to do with a chimera.

My only concern is that it seems that they will be doing the entire Nina/Tucker story in one episode. The old manga, in taking two episodes, gave more time to get attached to Nina before her death. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the next one, let's see how well they can do it smile.gif.
Havanese
QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Apr 19 2009, 08:00 PM) *

I think if FMA:B moved at the same pace it would not do that well, since the manga was more fast-paced than Monster and because Monster is aimed at an older crowd than FMA is. I don't really think it's fair to compare Monster's pacing with FMA because they're so different. I agree wholeheartedly with you that the pacing in FMA:B has been really sloppy and amateurish, I just don't think it would be good if it was the same as Monster's; there needs to be a happy medium. I hope you decide to give it another chance, though, because I enjoy reading your thoughts on the forums. And I hope you enjoy the rest of Monster. biggrin.gif

My thoughts on this episode:

Maybe it's because I don't care as much about the Loir arc as much as I do about the Elric's past, but I felt this episode was better than the previous one. Still a disappointment, and still not handled as well as it should have been, but I was able to enjoy it. I'm glad they got through the Loir arc in one episode, since I've always felt the Loir arc was one of the weaker arcs in the manga and I didn't like how FMA1 expanded on it. I thought the animation was nice, though I could see that they got lazy in some areas; I guess they're saving their budget for other things, which is understandable, I suppose.

The humor was definitely out of place in some areas. I'm tired of the redundant "Ed is short" jokes, even though there are a lot of them in the manga, they just don't work as well in anime. I just hope we don't have many in the next episode (except maybe one in the beginning), that would be really off-putting.

The characterization of Ed and Al was good. I love how devious Ed is, and I love that Al is doing more than in FMA1. Rose's characterization struck me as odd, though, because one moment she seemed all innocent and naive, and the next she was holding a gun and about to shoot Ed. It was just... meh. I hope she redeems herself if she comes back later on.

HULK!Cornello was ridiculous and completely pointless. I understand letting the writers have some freedom, but none of their insertions in FMA:B have been good so far. Some of them were good in the first anime, like how they expanded on the Nina plot and gave us more time to grow attached to her, but the whole point of FMA:B is so it can be like the manga. Silly, stereotypically shounen additions like HULK!Cornello is just doing more harm than good. If it's not broken, don't fix it. I'm not getting my hopes up that the next episode will be better. sad.gif

Also, wayyyy too many splitscreens.
Kaosugoji
I'm not so bothered by the fact that he turned himself into The Hulk as I am by his not shutting up about being God's representative. I can understand him being a megalomaniac and believing in his own lies, but he seemed more two-dimensional than I wanted him to.

Good episode though. I enjoyed it. Not without its problems, but I think it's the most consistent in its quality. I really liked the additional character development for Rose, the mumor was better placed and didn't feel all that excessive or intrusive (that scene where Cornello discover's he's been played is absolutely priceless). Al indirectly asking for Rose to shoot his brother seemed a bit odd though.
Haineko
It's definitely been interesting to read comments on what's been giving everyone the most headaches, which seem to be the pace and the tone/direction of the series.

On pacing: I agree that the pace so far has been rushed, but the funny thing is that each time I go back and re-watch the episode, it slows down for me. When I ask my friend, who is a new-comer to the series, whether the story is confusing or feels too fast, he says it doesn't feel that way for him. My other friend who is also watching FMA for the first time feels that it's fast-paced, but not necessarily too fast for him to grasp what's happening.

I think what may be happening is that when I get ready to watch a new episode, I already have a preconceived story in my head-- of what dialogue is supposed to go where and which scene follows another, and also what kind of emotion/feel is attached to each scene-- that when I actually watch the events unfold on-screen, the differences that pop up make me feel instantly uncomfortable. My internal narrative is getting disrupted, which makes the pace seem too fast or rushed to me.

So when Rose gets left out of the diner scene in the beginning, I subconsciously think "WTF, why did they not even introduce Rose properly?" which makes it harder for me to enjoy the episode as it's being presented. When I go back later and re-watch the episode, I can see the reasoning behind the change: the only things we really learn about Rose in that scene is that she's very pious, she's a nice girl, and she lost her boyfriend in a tragic accident, all of which are covered in 1) the scene with her kneeling and praying, 2) her overall demeanor and interaction with the Elrics, and 3) Cornello's admission. I especially liked how Rose was shown in the temple praying instead of having the diner owner and Rose talk about her going to the temple-- it's always a good thing when directors follow the "show, don't tell" rule.

At any rate, I think the main problem is that the last two episodes have each covered at least two chapters' worth of manga material, which makes the abbreviations really noticeable. I have complete faith that the pacing will be just right in the next episode because it'll likely cover only one chapter's worth.

On tone/direction: It's interesting to hear people say that this series seems shallow and the humor a little overdone. I think it really all depends on what you think the FMA series is about. FMA:B isn't a character-driven philosophical drama like FMA1-- it's much closer to the tone of the manga, which I think will always be a relative of the shounen genre. Wacky humor and heavy action has always been a part of shounen, so I don't feel weird when I watch super deformed Ed and Al, and rejoice that there's finally some more humorous/silly moments in the anime. FMA isn't as shallow as Naruto or Bleach, of course, but the archetypical shounen theme of finding the strength to overcome all obstacles really rings true in FMA, and it's something that the director has expressed when asked to sum up the feel of FMA. I completely agree with the poster who said earlier that FMA is really just a good balance between the light-hearted and the heavy moments. It's certainly more intellectually-driven than most any shounen series, as well.

The first few volumes of FMA for me set up the challenge and premise of the story: it's clear that many terrible things have happened (Ed and Al losing their mother and their bodies, the Ishbal massacre, etc.). But then I feel the series takes a turn after all of this has occurred: what are these characters going to do about their situations? The rest of the story is about overcoming their tragedies, and finding their own paths and growing as individuals as their journey continues. The overall feel, I think, is much more hopeful than the tone of the first anime series, where because of the limited number of chapters available the overall tone was adapted to fit the darker earlier chapters of FMA. I can see why people who fell in love with the emotion and depth of the first series would be disappointed, but really, these two series are completely different genres, and I think should be treated as such.

Damn, didn't think I'd write this much XD.
Imbris
The pacing was fast at the beginning, but slowed down after that. I enjoyed the episode, but I was never a huge fan of the Lior story. The content (religious man convinces people to follow his fake cause for his own greedy benefit) is just too familiar to me. Looking forward to Tucker and Nina though - a very emotional story.
Edamame
It's interesting to hear people say that this series seems shallow and the humor a little overdone. I think it really all depends on what you think the FMA series is about. FMA:B isn't a character-driven philosophical drama like FMA1-- it's much closer to the tone of the manga, which I think will always be a relative of the shounen genre. Wacky humor and heavy action has always been a part of shounen, so I don't feel weird when I watch super deformed Ed and Al, and rejoice that there's finally some more humorous/silly moments in the anime. FMA isn't as shallow as Naruto or Bleach, of course, but the archetypical shounen theme of finding the strength to overcome all obstacles really rings true in FMA, and it's something that the director has expressed when asked to sum up the feel of FMA. I completely agree with the poster who said earlier that FMA is really just a good balance between the light-hearted and the heavy moments. It's certainly more intellectually-driven than most any shounen series, as well.

I must say that I couldn´t agree with you more. I adore both the original work of Arakawa-sensei, and the original series. However, I do find that the tone between both of these works diverges a great deal, as do the central themes. I agree that Arakawa-sensei´s work is incredibly intellectually-driven and has an extreme amount of depth in comparison to other shounen series. (There are other shounen manga series out there, with a great deal of substance that makes you think.) Yet, the author still retains the humour, the action, and many of the themes central in shounen manga that generally target one´s personal will to continue onward and overcome obstacles. I always viewed the central themes in Arakawa-sensei´s manga as movement and personal growth. The origina anime series always seemed so much darker in tone and tackled much more philosophical themes such as the nature of man, the fight between good and evil, and a slew of other heavy-handed subjects. One of the central themes in the original series was that of brotherhood, which was exemplified in the characters of Edward and Alphonse. While Edward and Alphonse are extremely loyal to one another in the manga, we do see times when they are seperated and one their own. I always found this so much more realistic, because it lets the reader comprehend that although the brothers are a team in every sense of the word, they will not always be together. There are times in life that we are seperated from the ones we love, and forced to embark on our own personal journies.

I believe that the anime will center much more on the themes of movement and growth (interpret this as you will) and overcoming hardship, grief, and personal loss. Many of the characters in the manga are on their own personal journey, and attempt to move forward in order to obtain it. I know that in the manga we have seen Ed grow from a cocky and rather self-centered teenager to a young man who is strong-willed and resolute, undyling loyal, and who shares an unbreakable bond with his brother. I agree that the tone is the manga is much more "hopeful": "Yes, I can overcome hardship and pain and move forward to achieve my goal." Hopefully, the directors will be able to capture this in the new series.
mira mirth
I'm with the previous two posters as regards the message of the manga vs. FMA1. I generally feel that FMA1 is very angst heavy and logic poor, though, so I'm probably not the most objective judge.

Regarding this episode: it made me think that I quite like the way they've structured the storytelling so far. In the sense that, in the 1st episode, they introduced the characters and mentioned the sin in the Elrics' past --> 2nd episode deals with human transmutation --> 3rd episode talks about the possibilities of resurrection and introduces us to a chimera --> 4th episode will centre on the chimera plot. They're sort of like beads on a string, each adding more detail to another.

Although, in contrast to a lot of people here, I really, really dislike the whole Tucker episode and I'd be happy if they never included it in FMA2 at all. Except that it brings, y'know, plot development, and we can't do without that. Blah.

This episode also made me happy, because in it, we see manga Ed. I rejoice at seeing the angsty, woe-is-me, FMA1!Ed gone. Manga Ed is a devious, manipulative and extremely clever and talented kid, who - as other people before me have pointed out - has great character growth. FMA1 Ed never felt like much of a genius to me - we rarely see him act clever. We see him fight and rush into situations, but, apart from the manga moment with Yoki in Youswell, he's not the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to getting what he wants/ dealing with people/ life in general. Manga Ed, on the other hand, I trust to find a way out of any situation he gets himself into - and it's great to see him animated. That utterly unimpressed expression when Cornello goes on his take-over-the-world spiel and the devious one after? The reaction to the fake stone shattering? The wonderful face he pulls when transmuting his arm into a crazy blade? The conversation with Rose at the end? I feel that this character is alive. And fun to watch =) Because he'll spend more time actually moving forward than angsting, which is always a good thing in my book.

And yeah, of course I'm projecting a lot of what I already know about manga Ed onto this FMA2 one, but the signs are there. And they make me very happy.
Trakonda
QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 20 2009, 11:56 AM) *
It's interesting to hear people say that this series seems shallow and the humor a little overdone. I think it really all depends on what you think the FMA series is about. FMA:B isn't a character-driven philosophical drama like FMA1-- it's much closer to the tone of the manga, which I think will always be a relative of the shounen genre. Wacky humor and heavy action has always been a part of shounen, so I don't feel weird when I watch super deformed Ed and Al, and rejoice that there's finally some more humorous/silly moments in the anime. FMA isn't as shallow as Naruto or Bleach, of course, but the archetypical shounen theme of finding the strength to overcome all obstacles really rings true in FMA, and it's something that the director has expressed when asked to sum up the feel of FMA. I completely agree with the poster who said earlier that FMA is really just a good balance between the light-hearted and the heavy moments. It's certainly more intellectually-driven than most any shounen series, as well.

I must say that I couldn´t agree with you more. I adore both the original work of Arakawa-sensei, and the original series. However, I do find that the tone between both of these works diverges a great deal, as do the central themes. I agree that Arakawa-sensei´s work is incredibly intellectually-driven and has an extreme amount of depth in comparison to other shounen series. (There are other shounen manga series out there, with a great deal of substance that makes you think.) Yet, the author still retains the humour, the action, and many of the themes central in shounen manga that generally target one´s personal will to continue onward and overcome obstacles. I always viewed the central themes in Arakawa-sensei´s manga as movement and personal growth. The origina anime series always seemed so much darker in tone and tackled much more philosophical themes such as the nature of man, the fight between good and evil, and a slew of other heavy-handed subjects. One of the central themes in the original series was that of brotherhood, which was exemplified in the characters of Edward and Alphonse. While Edward and Alphonse are extremely loyal to one another in the manga, we do see times when they are seperated and one their own. I always found this so much more realistic, because it lets the reader comprehend that although the brothers are a team in every sense of the word, they will not always be together. There are times in life that we are seperated from the ones we love, and forced to embark on our own personal journies.

I believe that the anime will center much more on the themes of movement and growth (interpret this as you will) and overcoming hardship, grief, and personal loss. Many of the characters in the manga are on their own personal journey, and attempt to move forward in order to obtain it. I know that in the manga we have seen Ed grow from a cocky and rather self-centered teenager to a young man who is strong-willed and resolute, undyling loyal, and who shares an unbreakable bond with his brother. I agree that the tone is the manga is much more "hopeful": "Yes, I can overcome hardship and pain and move forward to achieve my goal." Hopefully, the directors will be able to capture this in the new series.

I couldn't have said it any better. Well done! biggrin.gif

Season 1 was darker-themed and seemed to circle around all the sadness and loss. As watching that for 51 episodes, I really was hoping that the new season would take a different view - the Arakawa's style of view. I think Bones is doing great job so far! smile.gif

I can't help but love all the humor scenes. Every single one of them. I watched the subbed episode last night, and you can't tell how happy I felt after seeing it. It had it's sad themes (the scene with Rose and Ed was definitely emotional, I loved that. ) but still it showed that while things are how they are now, there's always a linger of hope, somewhere.

..English is not my native language, so I can't explain my view as deeply as most people do. Hope it's still making sense, though! happy.gif

..I really wish I could get a gif animation of the running scene when Ed and Al (with Rose) ran away from Cornello and his minions through the hall. That looked just adorable! XD
Sannom
I can't help but love all the humor scenes. Every single one of them.

The one with Rose saying "By praying, you could get taller" was overkill though... in the manga, it made sense because Rose saw Ed's antics about that, but here it really comes of nowhere huh.gif
FailToImpress
I liked this episode... smile.gif It's really hard not to automatically compare it to its counterpart from the first series but I found this adaptation to be a lot better. I like Rose more too, last series I just couldn't stand her, and as a small note, I like that they've toned down the colour of the pink in her hair.

It looks like they're slowing with the pace as well, which I know is something that annoyed a lot of people with the first two episodes.

Episode 4 looks good too. wink.gif
Meu
Agh, too much short jokes for one episode. >_< They don't have to have that thing with people thinking Al is the Fullmetal alchemist in every damn scene.
They could've had e.g. Rose just shoot Al without Ed making a scene; it didn't make sense that the brothers made Ed the target since shooting Al doesn't have any effect on him. And we would've gotten a more dramatic moment. smile.gif
And I didn't like the split-screens, looked messy.

Otherwise the episode was pretty good. It was way slower compared to the previous ones (yet still fast) and I was very pleased until the Hulk Cornello thing, but I'll just pretend it never happened. :] Loved the evil smirk on Ed's face when he transmuted his automail into the scary-looking blade and his laugh when he had tricked Cornello, plus I cracked up to Ed and Al running in the church thingy with Rose. It looked funny. ^^'
Cece
QUOTE (WinterChanterelle @ Apr 20 2009, 06:20 AM) *
This episode also made me happy, because in it, we see manga Ed. I rejoice at seeing the angsty, woe-is-me, FMA1!Ed gone. Manga Ed is a devious, manipulative and extremely clever and talented kid, who - as other people before me have pointed out - has great character growth. FMA1 Ed never felt like much of a genius to me - we rarely see him act clever. We see him fight and rush into situations, but, apart from the manga moment with Yoki in Youswell, he's not the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to getting what he wants/ dealing with people/ life in general. Manga Ed, on the other hand, I trust to find a way out of any situation he gets himself into - and it's great to see him animated. That utterly unimpressed expression when Cornello goes on his take-over-the-world spiel and the devious one after? The reaction to the fake stone shattering? The wonderful face he pulls when transmuting his arm into a crazy blade? The conversation with Rose at the end? I feel that this character is alive. And fun to watch =) Because he'll spend more time actually moving forward than angsting, which is always a good thing in my book.

And yeah, of course I'm projecting a lot of what I already know about manga Ed onto this FMA2 one, but the signs are there. And they make me very happy.

I agree you took the words out of my mouth.
Makika
Well, I like the ep in a general mode...

But I think they put some short jokes, making the scenes a little bit forced.
Anyway, the fight with Cornello, the homunculi's part, Ed's laugh and some other things make
it a good episode.

Own, next chapter'll be good, Military dogs *-*
Roy, Riza, Havoc, Breda, Fuery, Fallman, Hughes *-* Own, I want.
Full Metal Elf
QUOTE (Trakonda @ Apr 20 2009, 06:44 AM) *
QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 20 2009, 11:56 AM) *

I couldn't have said it any better. Well done! biggrin.gif

Season 1 was darker-themed and seemed to circle around all the sadness and loss. As watching that for 51 episodes, I really was hoping that the new season would take a different view - the Arakawa's style of view. I think Bones is doing great job so far! smile.gif

I can't help but love all the humor scenes. Every single one of them. I watched the subbed episode last night, and you can't tell how happy I felt after seeing it. It had it's sad themes (the scene with Rose and Ed was definitely emotional, I loved that. ) but still it showed that while things are how they are now, there's always a linger of hope, somewhere.

..English is not my native language, so I can't explain my view as deeply as most people do. Hope it's still making sense, though! happy.gif

..I really wish I could get a gif animation of the running scene when Ed and Al (with Rose) ran away from Cornello and his minions through the hall. That looked just adorable! XD

I agree with you both completely. You captured the theme and tone of what the manga is about in great words.

I was not too sure I'd enjoy the new series when I watched the first episode...but now, 3 episodes in I'm pretty sure it's going to head in the direction I want it to.

I simply hope they don't make unnecessary changes that will keep it from being "manga-strict" like I (or we) thought it would be.

As of now, I have to rate FMA as:

1. Manga
2. FMA2: Brotherhood
2. FMA 1

I love FMA 1...but I have high hopes in this series and if it follows the path of the manga, it will be better than the last IMO.
Hagaren_4ever
Seriously, though! I never thought that Rose was ever dark-skinned! Someone enlighten me to the situation at hand. T_T
Anakishi
I just want to say I agree with every single word that Haineko, Edamame and WinterChanterelle have said. Thanks a lot, guys: being english not my native language, I find it almost impossible to translate my exact thoughts, but you guys said it all for me! happy.gif

I was so pleased to see a selfish, arrogant teenager-Ed as he was in the beginning of the story: to think that he will slowly grow to that adult-Ed we see in recent manga chapters just kills me of joy. I also think FMA-2 will be more centered on moving forward and character-growing. FMA-1 was awesome at portraying the dark scenes and the angst, but it was just too negative for the original FMA plot, and it looked like it was centered on the past, not the future. I set my hopes up for a more light-hearted (that includes silly jokes) and positive-thinking plot for this new FMA.

The episode was rather good, kinda WTF'd when Cornello told Rose to shoot the Elrics, but after that thought "wow, that matches perfectly". Hulk!Cornello would make a good videogame boss, IMO. tongue.gif
I honestly couldn't find any major elements to complain about. Guess I'm just not picky enough, but I find people who keep ranting on small details to be really annoying. Looking forward to the Nina arc, that'll be the real challenge for the producers: seeing FMA1-Ed hit Tucker a dozen times still gives me chills.

One more thing: sorry for being repetitive, but I posted that several pages before, and no one seemed to notice, but the reason why Rose and other Lior citizens have white skin in this anime is because LIOR IS NOT ANYWHERE CLOSE TO ISHBAL IN THE MANGA, so they cannot be related to the ishbalans like they were in previous anime, thank you. To be honest, the new look suits her best.
PsychoSushi
I thought this was the best episode so far in terms. The pacing is a lot better than the irst 2 episodes. I think they did this part better than the in the original series. There was no unnecessary scenes like the giant green parrot in the 1st series.

I loved the anguished look on Ed's face when Rose said he could use the stone to revive her mother. And is it just me or is Romi Paku's delivery of Ed's lines getting better and better?

I liked that they made Rose pull the trigger on Ed and Al. It showed how more character in her and it's a good improvement from Manga Rose and Series 1 Rose.

However, I did not like the split screens. I found them too comic book like and irritating. And I was disappointed they did not include Ed transmutating the giant Leto statue.

Popogeejo
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Apr 20 2009, 10:32 PM) *
Seriously, though! I never thought that Rose was ever dark-skinned! Someone enlighten me to the situation at hand. T_T

Did you not watch the first anime?
Rainshine
Looking forward to the Nina arc, that'll be the real challenge for the producers: seeing FMA1-Ed hit Tucker a dozen times still gives me chills.

Same here!!

The Nina part of the last anime freaked me out.
I can't wait for this one!! happy.gif
Trizo
QUOTE (Anakishi @ Apr 21 2009, 07:48 AM) *
One more thing: sorry for being repetitive, but I posted that several pages before, and no one seemed to notice, but the reason why Rose and other Lior citizens have white skin in this anime is because LIOR IS NOT ANYWHERE CLOSE TO ISHBAL IN THE MANGA, so they cannot be related to the ishbalans like they were in previous anime, thank you. To be honest, the new look suits her best.

biggrin.gif I noticed you. And I think that's a really smart point - I completely forgot about the surroundings of Lior in the manga, so naturally like 95% of this board Rose's skin was a bit of a shock to me... Do I like it? Hrmmmm yes. It makes sense that as a nation that obviously isn't into multiculturalism Rose would have to be white and uhm, less Mary-sue
Kyelinn
QUOTE (Trizo @ Apr 21 2009, 07:09 AM) *
Do I like it? Hrmmmm yes. It makes sense that as a nation that obviously isn't into multiculturalism Rose would have to be white and uhm, less Mary-sue

*snorts* laugh.gif You took the words right out of my mouth! xD I absolutely loved the Rose in this episode and I look forward to seeing her in the future episodes especially when she meets Winry! At least we know Rose isn't going to be turned into a mute Mary-sue. I seriously could not STAND Rose in the FMA1. I loved how Rose was portrayed in this episode and I love Manga!Rose, so no doubt I'm going to enjoy her character in this series. biggrin.gif
mewtant307k
The hot topic for this episode seems to be Rose's skin color. Seriously?

Well, it wasn't as bad as the last episode...but that's no great feat. Still too fast paced (did anyone else think that Rose's character was kind of flattened?) but at least theres hope.

Animation was pretty good, voice actors were great (gluttony, yeah, will take a bit of getting used to) and I personally love the overdramatic orchestral music. But meh, i still favor the old anime's and manga's portrayal of this story arc.

also CORNELLO SMASSHHH was the only bit of (unintentional?) humor that made me laugh. Really damn funny.

Overall, 3/5 ish? I dunno, my expectations are still really low from the last sin against god episode, so I might be being too generous.
Sannom
did anyone else think that Rose's character was kind of flattened?

Most of the people who care seems to believe it was a change for the better. It really shows how desperate she is and how unfaithful she was, getting into letoism only because it promised her what she wanted. Like a lot of sects.

Unless of course you're talking about the Rose from the first series...
ZakOnTheAttack
I liked this episode a whole lot better than the first version of it.

Though one thing I wish they had included was when Ed threw Al's head at Cornello's followers and hit them. Or was that on the train? Either way I guess we won't be seeing it animated.

Ed looked super awesome in this episode by the way and I liked Rose a lot better too. Better look, and better personality.
RoyxRizaFan
They had me going until Cornello got decked out on steroids.
Becca-chan
Okay I finally got to watch the episode today, so I can finally give my opinions on it.

So far, so good...I didn't see any pacing problems this time around; and it was interesting to see the episode play out.

Despite my reaction to the changes in Rose's appearance earlier on, I can thankfully say that I've grown a bit more used to it now.
Although to me, this series Rose isn't better than the previous anime's version, nor was she worse.
She was merely put in a situation that both the manga and first anime's Rose were never put into, so of course you're going to see a different side/ edge to the character. O.o;

I wasn't actually irked by the transformation of Cornello and it actually seemed to suit him somewhat.
The scene in which he transformed actually me got to freak out like Ed did at first.

And I agree, the bit at the end with Gluttony was creepy, that smile of his made me shudder when I saw it. O.O;

The comedy moments in this made me grin a bit...and the escape from the church with Ed, Al and Rose did actually make me laugh; just where these blue undetailed people came practically flying out of the door; I know I was like; " What the heck?!" but laughing at the same time. XD

Now I await next week's episode...and don't worry, I may be a Tucker fangirl; but I have long since resigned myself to the fact of what's going to happen to Shou ( and Nina) in that one.
I'm just trying to tell myself not to be too critical when that episode rolls around, considering that it'll be a condensed and much different version of two of my favourite episodes from the original anime. ^^;
Sannom
QUOTE ("Becca-chan")
I wasn't actually irked by the transformation of Cornello and it actually seemed to suit him somewhat.

I'm sure people would have been less irked if he transformed into a Armstrong!Cornello instead of a Sloth!Cornello. That thing is just too massive!
Becca-chan
QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 21 2009, 10:18 PM) *
QUOTE ("Becca-chan")

I'm sure people would have been less irked if he transformed into a Armstrong!Cornello instead of a Sloth!Cornello. That thing is just too massive!

That's very true!
laugh.gif It really would of took the cake if he'd ended up with sparkles too ( only the Armstrong family can ever pull off the whole sparkle thing and look awesome while doing it)

I thought that Cornello's transformed state looked familiar, he was pretty Sloth-like. O.O;
spectator
QUOTE (Becca-chan @ Apr 21 2009, 04:25 PM) *
...It really would of took the cake if he'd ended up with sparkles too ( only the Armstrong family can ever pull off the whole sparkle thing and look awesome while doing it)

About the sparkle, Riza and Roy have it too sometimes in the manga.
fullmoon
QUOTE (spectator @ Apr 22 2009, 11:42 AM) *
...It really would of took the cake if he'd ended up with sparkles too ( only the Armstrong family can ever pull off the whole sparkle thing and look awesome while doing it)

They do? Oh gosh, i haven't been paying attention XD Hehe, that's funny.

In this episode, Ed and Rose had some of Armstrong's sparkle XD

spectator
QUOTE (fullmoon @ Apr 21 2009, 08:58 PM) *
QUOTE (spectator @ Apr 22 2009, 11:42 AM) *

They do? Oh gosh, i haven't been paying attention XD Hehe, that's funny.

In this episode, Ed and Rose had some of Armstrong's sparkle XD

Really, check these out!

Full Metal Elf
QUOTE (Becca-chan @ Apr 21 2009, 05:25 PM) *
QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 21 2009, 10:18 PM) *
QUOTE ("Becca-chan")

That's very true!
laugh.gif It really would of took the cake if he'd ended up with sparkles too ( only the Armstrong family can ever pull off the whole sparkle thing and look awesome while doing it)

I thought that Cornello's transformed state looked familiar, he was pretty Sloth-like. O.O;

He did remind me of Sloth...which is probably why I wasn't totally bothered by it. It wasn't so out of touch with FMA (like big Gluttony in the movie o_O)...because Arakawa does have Sloth. It was almost like a preview "Get used to a big guy in the future." lol...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.