Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 3: City Of Heresy - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3
amestris_star
QUOTE (spectator @ Apr 22 2009, 05:17 AM) *

These so made my day this morning XDDD
The Armstrong sparkle is becoming addictive >D
Sannom
I'm going to completely nitpick here, so be aware happy.gif But I think I know why they made Lior into a wooded area instead of an oasis in a desert. I mean, they could have kept the desert and dark-skinned Rose as far as I was concerned, there wasn't really anything in the manga that could contradict it. That was until I remembered those panels from volume 21 (especially the second one, the first one is to show that we are in the vicinity of Lior) :

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/84/20/

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/84/21/
Tombow
^ @Sannom - Again, good point. ^^

-------

QUOTE (fullmoon @ Apr 22 2009, 05:00 AM) *

Gwahahaha!! I'm so loving this!! laugh.gif

@fullmoon - Assuming you can kindly keep providing us with links for these awesomely funny "capsummaries" for more upcoming episodes, do you mind if we make your "Capsummaries" posts into a stand-alone thread with the continuing collection of "Capsummaries" from each episode?
Since we have AA battery's "HD Screen Cap" thread, and soon we'll have Kale's "FMA-2 official English sub episodes transcripts" thread, I think your "Capsummaries" thread would make a nice companion thread for this series!! biggrin.gif
amestris_star
Good point there Sannom, I had forgotten about that ^^

And thanks to who posted the capsummary, I'm laughing like crazy xD
I-luv-FMA
This episode was better than the 1st anime's version, but not better than the manga's version: all the funny bits were left out laugh.gif
btw I'm new here so hello
Hagaren_4ever
Haha! I finally know what the hell everyone was talking about with the dark-skinned Rose! laugh.gif I know I'm slow, I'm sorry, but I'm so stupid. >_<
Kale Mustang
God I love those capsummaries. So awesome though I'm dreading the next set...
Kyelinn
I don't know if she'll be able to pull off any humor for the next set UNLESS they show a bit of humor, like Ed getting tackled by Alexander for example, then perhaps, but I think the rest of them will be too heartbreaking to even make humor out of. ;_; I'm dreading AND looking forward to the next episode at the same time.
fullmoon
QUOTE (Tombow @ Apr 23 2009, 12:46 AM) *
QUOTE (fullmoon @ Apr 22 2009, 05:00 AM) *

Gwahahaha!! I'm so loving this!! laugh.gif

@fullmoon - Assuming you can kindly keep providing us with links for these awesomely funny "capsummaries" for more upcoming episodes, do you mind if we make your "Capsummaries" posts into a stand-alone thread with the continuing collection of "Capsummaries" from each episode?
Since we have AA battery's "HD Screen Cap" thread, and soon we'll have Kale's "FMA-2 official English sub episodes transcripts" thread, I think your "Capsummaries" thread would make a nice companion thread for this series!! biggrin.gif

Hehe, i love them too! ^0^

Sure thing, Tombow-san wink.gif That sounds like a great idea!
I'll definitely keep posting up the links happy.gif

----------------------

@Kale and Kyelinn: Yeah, I feel a sense of dread knowing what's going to happen to Nina T-T yet i really want to see how this episode will be pulled off...
Toby-Chan
Does anyone else think the preview announcer guy sounds like he has a mouth half full of novacaine? Or moderate head trauma?
Haineko
Good point on Steroids!Cornello's connection to Sloth.

Now that I think about it, having an emotional Rose clutch the gun might also be a preview/allusion to Winry holding the gun. It's interesting that in both cases, Ed is the one who stops them and points out that their actions are harmful to themselves.

Also, in the last episode, I liked Hughes's line about Roy making it to Brigadier General the next time he came to Central. It adds an extra layer of irony after Hughes is the one who gets promoted posthumously to Brigadier General cry.gif

It really makes me appreciate FMA:B for adding all these little manga references and themes.

thedespised2166
I just noticed. They caused one big paradox.
...and I now know where my ava came from.
deet-tastic
I really liked the episode tonight biggrin.gif

Of course, the split screens drove me nuts. But I tried to ignore them.
AND they thru in a preview for next week. Awesome biggrin.gif
thedespised2166
I know. biggrin.gif
Although it was a little fast paced.
Vlyse
I don't think I've seen this episode since its original airing, so this was refreshing for me. I don't remember all those split screens, and some of them seemed kinda out of place. Al's voice just keeps getting better and better. Glad to see Cornello dead so quickly (seeing the episodes on TV feels super rushed), never liked him. Glad to see Lust and Gluttony again, was hoping to see Envy, too. Pretty sure we will in episode 5. Also, I'm surprised we got a preview. Wonder how long this will last.
penguintruth
Perhaps largely due to this not being the first episode, the Lior incident just seemed so much less important in Brotherhood, and lacked the certain magic the first series gave it.

I'd forgotten about all the split screen garbage, too. I remembered CORNELLO SMASH, though. Yikes.

The returning voices all sounded pretty much the same way they did in this part of the first series.
Jen_Elric
episode was done well, Maxey is really getting better! Still a little bit soft on certain scenes, but so was Vic.
Ugh, never was a fan of this episode. Hate Rose when she cries too much, the manga humor was a little too much, and Cornello......Let's just say I'm glad he's dead. I never understood why they had him turn into Hulk!Cornello. Seemed pointless. IDK.

Yay for seeing Lust and Gluttony again!! Wow, I really miss Lust. And I always liked Gluttony's Dub voice. I think it fits him better. Wow, a preview! Ohhh, next episode's gonna make me cry.
Tezrath
Cornello SMASH! was just as lame in dub as I remember it. And the split screens actually annoyed me more in this version.

One good thing was that I could hear the arrogance in Ed/Vics voice during his conversation with Rose way more clearly then in the japanese. Guess his voicing has got to be good for something! laugh.gif

Speaking of voices... is it just me or was Gluttony's voicing beyond horrible?
Hagaren_4ever
^Well, I had always imagined Gluttony's voice to be like the way the portrayed it in this episode: kinda high pitched and stupid. In any case, he doesn't talk much, so it shouldn't present that much of a problem.

As for the rest of the cast, I think this was the first episode where I actually liked Maxey Whitehead as Al. She's winning me over more and more every episode. I knew she would fit the role more snugly as time went on.

Vic continues to sound the same. Nothing really new here, still done relatively well. I liked the laugh in the scene with the microphone, it was nice.

Colleen Clickenbeard continues to be amazing. She did a good job, and I could really feel the despair in her voice. I give her props.

As for the dialogue, I usually don't like it when the change the conversations from the original episode, but I liked that they changed "boyfriend" to "fiance", it made it seem a lot more serious relationship she had with him, and I think it was a good decision.

Overall, it was a well recorded episode. I feel frustrated that I have to go through all of this story AGAIN, which is effecting my view of the content of the episodes, but the voice acting was good and I look for to seeing more dubbed episodes in the future.
edxwinryfan
Maxey's best scene was on the roof with Rose. Although she still needs to realize that Al is a 14 year old boy, not a 10 year old girl... she needs to improve. Colleen was good as Rose. Next episode will be good,but I can't wait to see episode 6 with Caitlin as Winry.
EveningAlchemist
^Yeah that scene was one of my favourites too! I also liked all of Ed's speeches. Although the story is fast paced at the moment, and random things were added randomly, there is a lot of philosophy and great emotions as well.

The next episode may just kill me though... Go Vic and Maxey!
Kyelinn
QUOTE (edxwinryfan @ Feb 28 2010, 11:51 AM) *
Maxey's best scene was on the roof with Rose. Although she still needs to realize that Al is a 14 year old boy, not a 10 year old girl... she needs to improve. Colleen was good as Rose. Next episode will be good,but I can't wait to see episode 6 with Caitlin as Winry.

Thing is though, is that Al was only 10 when his soul was attached to the suit of armour, and he's not exactly growing is he? So his voice can't really change since he can't go through puberty. He may be 14 years old in age, but he has no body to take him through those changes, fyi. wink.gif She's not Aaron and she's not perfect, but she's still doing one hell of a bang up job trying to make Al sound as he always did.

I'm sorry for those of you who thought Rose's voice was wonderful, but I seriously thought it sucked. It was WAY too dramatic and overbearing. I seriously continuously cringed and facepalmed throughout the whole episode because her voice drove me some completely mad. It was like shaky and whiny and ugh...I was hoping they would've gotten somebody else to play Rose because her voice just never sat well with me. It's too...My Little Pony/Rainbow Brite 80s-ish or something. I dunno. It just doesn't fit Rose. I much prefer her Japanese voice. Maxy is doing better and better as Al. I almost had her mistaken for Aaron a few times. Even my husband was shocked. Vic is still awesome as ever! Looking forward to seeing how he does the next episode. I'm really really hoping that he doesn't pull off the despair!Ed the way he did in the first one though. <.< I hope it's different in some way. The voice actors need to stop and remember that this is FMA: B and not the first one. The story and the character's personalities are a lot different from what they remember and did in the past.
shanryelric
AGGREE
i mean, she sounds OFF. goddamn awful. too dramatic and OOC for a Rose. naaah
Tezrath
lol--I never liked Rose as a character anyway, so having her voice over-dramatic and teeth grittingly annoying works for me wink.gif
Kyelinn
I'm SO glad somebody agrees with me. I seriously cringed and facepalmed over and over and over again. I don't even remember her being THAT dramatic in the first episode of the first anime. @_@ I mean it was this constant shaking-overbearing...I don't know. I can't even describe it. I wanted to like stuff cotton balls in my ears as far as they could go just to drown out the sound of her overly emotional 80s My-Little-Pony-in-danger voice. @___@ I'm so glad she's less of a main character in this series because if she continued on with THAT voice, I'd absolutely go insane.
Bag of Magic Food
I caught another change in the animation! It's a little hard to show with still pictures, but I'll do my best to explain.

In the scene where the figures of the Elric brothers turn into a cut-out view of Leto, the original broadcast had the rest of their linework completely visible the entire time, while in the new version the lines are almost all gone, only seen faintly around the edges.

The floating testimonial guys were pulled in closer and given more transparency. Originally you couldn't see the third one's shadow eyes at all!

Finally, the new version doesn't pan down as fast or as far as the original. Presumably this is to keep Leto's face onscreen the entire time.

The shadow eyes also look a little darker, but I think it's just because Adult Swim's uploads of this show are a little darker in general.
deet-tastic
WHOA! Super interesting. Thanks so much for those smile.gif
I love finding these little differences.
EniviD EiraM
I keep on wondering---- 'what is the stone in the High Priest's ring (Father Cornello)?' ..Yes, it isn't the Philosopher's stone but it could be something useful to alchemist yet they didn't mention about the name of the stone ... *it doesn't really matter, I'm just curious

Also, I like the scene where Ed said to Rose: "you've got two legs to walk on" .. sad.gif *I was moved
deet-tastic
^ It's not THE philosophers stone that he has, the one talked about in legends. But a smaller one that was made.
Bag of Magic Food
Right, so far there doesn't seem to be any truly infinite stone, only bigger stones whose power lasts much longer. I suppose the "Philosopher's Stone" of legend was whichever lasted the longest.
Bag of Magic Food
Ah, I forgot about this omission. But until episode 5 I assumed every piece of writing was going to be removed for Adult Swim, so I didn't bother chronicling them.

Tombow
Back on again! biggrin.gif

Please add the comments for FMA:B English dubbed episode 3 (on Adult Swim) if any, here. smile.gif

Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it's on again tonight on Adult Swim (U.S.) smile.gif
Tombow
For anyone who missed this episode, it's on again tonight on Adult Swim (U.S.) smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.