Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 2: The First Day - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Makika
Winry's parents died after Trisha.
Ed and Al was living with Winry and Pinako when that happened.
(If Trisha were alive, she'll help Winry and Pinako, but she were not there).

SneakyRuler: I tottaly agree with you. The alchemy exam was strange. And I don't see the part when Ed confronting Mustang saying: You even hesitate when I attacked the Fuhrer, etc. (That's important, it's the start from the implications that they always do with each other!)
spoonyalchemist
I looooooove the Truth's voice! It goes perfectly with the fact that he is all people in one. Actually, I really loved the transmutation scene in general. There was so much emotion! Romi Paku and Rie Kugimiya did a wonderful job!

I'm amazed at how many of those shots were direct replicas of manga panels. O_O It was awesome!

My only major complaint is the face Ed makes when he gets his state alchemist name. What was with that? XD And then they zoomed in really close and I was like whoa, gimme some personal space here.
spectator
I think the main problem in season 2 is that the story starts from the beginning. Many of us know the story already and have seen it in the season 1, although it is not exactly the same as in manga. It might be the reason BONES trying to speed up and cut into the later story. Flashback is a great technique to introduce the story again. However, at the same time, the shrunken introduction in the second series have cut many of the interesting scene from the manga.

I feel that the second episode is so-so. I am more interested in the later developement which is after Mustang is transferred back to Central. Somehow, I feel a little glad that BONES is cuting some of early scene. This time, I just hope that the new series has more episodes than the first one. And the most important part, Royai!!

Still, I like the detail background in Central. the background music is perfect too. I wonder when the ost will be out.
Hagaren_4ever
QUOTE (spoonyalchemist @ Apr 12 2009, 08:36 PM) *
My only major complaint is the face Ed makes when he gets his state alchemist name. What was with that? XD And then they zoomed in really close and I was like whoa, gimme some personal space here.

I noticed that too! I was like, "0_o. Dude, cool it." Anyway, they better slow this down and FAST. They're fixing to rush straight to like, volume 7. I had the feeling that someone who didn't read the manga wouldn't appreciate the episode half as much as someone who did. And I hate what they did to the Riza and Winry conversation! Though I suppose there's only so much that can be stuffed into a less-than-30-minute show. Oh well. dry.gif
Jen_Elric
Ok, the episode was ok. It was great and awesome, but it hade it's moments.
Things I didn't like:
-Trisha being in the episode for 2 minutes. Even the funeral was un-emotional. No crying Al? In the first anime, there was a great bond between the boys and their mother. I felt nothing.
-The episode seemed fast paced. But I know that won't be for future episodes.

Things I liked:
-The insult fight between Pinako and Ed.
-The look on Al's face after Winry tells Ed she's going to help him until he gets his body back.
-The TRansmutaion, the Truth, the TRuth guy! All that was so scary and sad. Especially when the Truth guy showed Ed what price he paid to see the Truth (all in the manga).
-The whole Mustang confroning Ed and Al saying "Sorry". Ed's face was so sad, but it was Al's "Gomen nasai" that nearly made me cry. Kudos to Rie-sama for putting so much emotion during that.
-The Riza/Winry talk. The "I promised to protect someone" line is in the manga. I love that line!
-The exam. It WAS fast, but it was still kinda cool. Pointing the spear at Bradley was in the manga, but I wish they kept what Ed said to Mustang about hesitating.

I'll watch it again when Funimation releases it. Maybe I'll like it more (especially the beginning).
The preview looks promising! I really like Rose's new look. Much better.
Full Metal Elf
QUOTE (Makika @ Apr 12 2009, 08:33 PM) *
SneakyRuler: I tottaly agree with you. The alchemy exam was strange. And I don't see the part when Ed confronting Mustang saying: You even hesitate when I attacked the Fuhrer, etc. (That's important, it's the start from the implications that they always do with each other!)

I agree too! I loved that moment and I was disappointed it wasn't shown. However, they could be waiting and putting it in later too. Who knows...

As for the episode...I LOVED it!! I agree it was rushed and I hated so much of it was revealed so early in the show, but maybe in the anime it works better earlier than in the manga. Besides, there's always a chance they'll reference to this again and put in some of the more specific moments that were cut-out.

Also, I was at the edge of my seat during the entire gate and transmutation scene. So much more powerful this time than the first time around. I loved Truth and thought he was done very well!

I can't wait to see how Lior is handled this time biggrin.gif
Toby-Chan
All of the tension is gone from this series.
zonkiethegreat
Hmm....I really liked this episode, I didn't mind the fast pace at all, I mean in the first series they already went into pretty good detail about Trisha's death, and how Ed and Al reacted. I think it was better for them to show just HOW Ed got Al back, and seeing "The Truth". It was a trip!

As far as animation, it is sharper and brighter. However, I guess I like the more "impressionist" feel of the original series. I don't really like Ed's hair , it just reminds me too much of "Naruto" hair, and is less detailed.

The whole Winry and Riza interaction was cute. Especially when Winry noticed "who" Riza protects.

I love how they have created Lior. However, to be honest, I want the next 2 or 3 episodes to fly by. Because its basically a recap of the beginning. Which is fine. But GOD I JUST WANNA SEE LING and OLIVIA ARMSTRONG!!! i can't wait til they introduce them into the series! biggrin.gif

Kale Mustang
Been out for most of the day, but just finished watching episode two.

I'm loving the pacing so far, as they've managed to cram several chapters into this episode but they've also managed to nicely integrate Isaac into the major storyline.

Loved the way the origin of Ed & Al's motives were presented, as you couldn't but feel bad for them when they were sitting at their mother's grave. The transmutation attempt scene was great too, as I loved how both Ed & Al were 'broken apart' - almost reminded me of seeing data deleted. Ed seeing the "Truth" was a great moment - felt like a moment that would've fit in The Matrix and I loved the music. Also nice seeing Roy & Riza - I've always been fond of the first meeting between Riza and Winry.

The State Alchemy exam was good to, as it was just as brief as it was in the manga laugh.gif. The retention of the manga humor was top-notch - Al's expression after Ed and Winry fought was priceless.

Previews for next week's episode look awesome and I love the designs for Rose and the town of Lior. Should be great fun.
Kaosugoji
I think the manga commited pretty much the same criticism as FMA2, with the pacing and what not, until the Greed storyline. The manga is doing damned great right now, but the first dozen chapters are extremely choppy, too fast, and don't leave much room for characters to make an impression. The writing staff working on FMA1 had a lot more room to stretch in terms of what creative muscles they could flex. Only a faint sketch of a storyline had been illustrated in the source material and the writers had a lot more freedom seeing that they were pretty much writing fan fiction, albeit amazing fan fiction. With FMA2, the staff knows exactly what it's adapting, and therefore, are a bit more constricted in terms of what liberties they can take, how much they can drift away. I'm pretty confident this whole thing is going to slow down.

As for not feeling the emotion of the brother's plight, I'm not sure I agree with that. The creative staff may be rushing things and losing bits and pieces of character development, but from what I've seen so far, I think they get it. I think they capture most of the whole "Ed and Al leaving their innocence behind to pursue their dream" angle fairly well here and I definitely felt that. This story may be moving at a fast and jumpy pace so far, but calling it just pretty pictures with music is a bit harsh.
Gukumatz
Hey fandom, I was just over at the NarutoFan forum and guess what? They love the pacing. They think it's good that it's going fast.

At first I was unsure why, but then I realized... They're Naruto fans. Of course they don't want anything slowed down! (If you don't know what I mean, think of the reputation that Naruto has for long over-extended fight scenes.) laughing.gif

Maybe we're all so used to how the story is supposed to be? What themes are important, how characters should develop, what plot points will be important later? Anyway, it gives me some hope that not everyone thinks it's going as clumsily as the majority of us fear. I still personally think they're not taking enough time to properly develop their themes and storyline, but maybe this will improve in future episodes. I hope so.
mewtant307k
I have to admit I was disappointed with this episode. Fast pacing is good, but you can't condense an entire manga into 20 minutes of animation without loosing alot of the emotional value. Manga #6 was one of the most powerful manga I've read from any series, and in my opinion this episode didn't do it justice.

I mean, seriously? Trisha's death is the impetus of the entire story. They mentioned it. MENTIONED IT.

Overall I felt it was far, FAR too rushed (and also introduced to early. Arakawa waited 6 books for a reason). I hope they revisit some of these scenes, because adequately portraying the main character's backstories is important to the foundation of a series.

Also: what was up with the Truth? That scene felt unnaturaly humorous...it was almost insulting.

QUOTE (Toby-Chan @ Apr 12 2009, 09:45 PM) *
All of the tension is gone from this series.

Seriously.
Radadinator
QUOTE (Gukumatz @ Apr 12 2009, 11:45 PM) *
Maybe we're all so used to how the story is supposed to be? What themes are important, how characters should develop, what plot points will be important later? Anyway, it gives me some hope that not everyone thinks it's going as clumsily as the majority of us fear. I still personally think they're not taking enough time to properly develop their themes and storyline, but maybe this will improve in future episodes. I hope so.

If the episode wasn't so skimmed over, then it would have probably been better than the flashback episode from the first series. I think that overall, from what they've shown us, the director really gets the substance more than the old one did. If anything, Ed, Al, and Mustang are more in character than they've ever been in the first series.

Basically, the people who are really enjoying this series are the first-time viewers. People who've already read the manga/watched the first anime are more concerned with picking out the differences. Even if that Ed-as-narrator bit did have some truth to it, it's still freaking nitpicky.

edit: And let's not forget that Trisha had about five pages dedicated to her in the fifth volume. Okay, that was a mistake Arakawa made and the anime should have corrected it. It was just bugging me.
Edamame
I just finished watching the High Definition fansub, and I must say that the quality was absolutely superb; being able to see all the minute details makes all the difference. I am finding that a great deal of people are having problems with the pacing in this episode, but I believe that the episode really captured the director´s ideal to potray "movement" and moving forward. I am sure that we will get more than one glimpse into Edward and Alphonse´s past and a much more indepth view of the events leading up to the fated transmutation; remember that a great portion of the sixth volume of the manga is centered around the events leading up to and after the transmutation. I believe that the fast pacing in this episode is to set up the basic story-line and introduce us to the characters. I realise that it is impossible to have character development in the span of only two twenty-four minute episodes, and I believe that the directors actually did quite a good job of giving us brief glimpses into the Elric brother´s tragic back-story.

I found both the background music and fluid animation to be superb. The brief glimpse of the transmutation scene was incredibly disturbing, and Paku Romi´s wonderful voice talents really brought the scene to life. I also found the exchange between the Truth and Edward to be delightfully creepy as well, especially when Edward realizes the price of his knowledge that he has just obtained. I am also pleased at how close the dialogue is to the original dialogue from the manga. The episode also did quite a good job balancing the tragedy of the transmutation with more comedic moments. I am probably the odd one out here, but I thought that this episode held my interest while still remaining faithful to the manga. I look forward to the third episode! I have absolutely no desire to compare this new series with the old one, but will instead view this series as a completely seperate artistic creation.
Imbris
If we're going to look at this as a stand-alone series, the pacing was simply too fast. Trisha didn't get nearly enough screen time, and most of the more relaxed scenes in the episode came off as frantic. The transmutation scene was great though, if not still a bit too quick.

I still enjoyed it immensely, but it was definitely too jumpy. I'm confident that as the series progresses it will slow down to a more reasonable level. In any case, I'd rather have a quick paced anime than...well...than Naruto. The last thing we need is an episode entirely consisting of two character having a useless conversation or a flashback to an old episode in a flashback to an old episode. We should be thankful that we're seeing so much plot development in such a short period of time...and with such fantastic animation!
FailToImpress
The episode was okay, not much we haven't already seen before.
I still really don't like Riza's voice, it just annoys me. She just sounds way too young. Then again, I tend to have problems with many female japanese voices...maybe I'm just not used to it.

As for pacing, that didn't even cross my mind while watching. I'm pretty sure I've said this before but I think a lot of people are expecting way too much from this. I think for a lot of people it will get better, though.

The transmutation scene was nice, that's at least one thing I think they're done a lot better on this time around
PsychoSushi
Hi, I'm new here.

I just watched episode 2 an hour ago and I agree with the others that the pacing was a bit too fast especially with the state alchemist exam and the part with Trisha. If they had devoted a bit more time to Trisha, her death scene would have more emotional impact.

However with that said, I thought the transmutation scene up to the part where Roy was convincing Ed to be a State Alchemist was superbly done. The music, the animation and the voice acting (especially Romi Paku) was done very very well. In fact I think it surpassed the 1st series in the way the transmutation scene was done. It was creepy and so much more dramatic than the 1st series. My favourite scene was when Roy confronted a very depressed Ed and Al was apologising and shaking. It broke my heart.
crazyanimefan
Overall, I liked the new episode. I agree that the pacing was quick, and I wish we had some more time to emotionally connect with Trisha and to develop Ed, Al, and Roy more, but what can I expect out of the second episode? This was mostly review anyways. I did like the animation and music. That was top-notch stuff. Some of the newer things, like the interactions of Ed and Truth and Winry meeting Riza, were pretty awesome to see animated. The transmutation circle and the entire Gate scene was creepy but made my spine tingle with excitement.
Sweetdeath04
*sigh* I don't know anymore.... I've just read what everyone else has said and I agree with the majority of it on both sides of the arguement.

Things I liked - Mention of Xerxes, The Transmutation, The Gate and The Truth. Also Al's "Sorry... sorry..." and Winry and Riza's first meeting.

Things I didn't like - Trisha's death just didn't hit me, there just wasn't enough. Also they missed out the bit with Ed confronting Roy about not being too concerned with Bradley's wellfare after the State Alchemist Exam.

Things I'm undecided about - Yes, it is rushed, but at the moment that's okay with me. So long as it slows down after Hughes death... or even after we get a flash back of Ed and Al's training with Izumi I'll be happy.

Other than that- animation is amazing. It still bugs me a little because I'm not used to it yet, but I do love it. And the music is so good. I want the OST!

All in all, looking forward to more!
SonPan
I actually liked the episode... and im sure that they are gonna get into the individual scenes again, like the talk after the exam, or winry's parents and Trisha, I think more backflashes will be added throughout the series...
Oh btw i found something interesting
http://www.ji-hi.net/fma2/index.html
its a comparison of all the fansubs
Tombow
QUOTE (SonPan @ Apr 13 2009, 11:47 AM) *

@SonPan - Nice find!! I'm adding this info on "Where to watch the episode" thread. Thank you!! ^^ (BTW, I see there is only one group that had correctly used the known FMA term for the State Alchemist in FMA, "dog of the Military." tongue.gif )
SonPan
QUOTE (Tombow @ Apr 13 2009, 12:04 PM) *

@SonPan - Nice find!! I'm adding this info on "Where to watch the episode" thread. Thank you!! ^^
(BTW, I see there is only one group that had correctly used the known FMA term for the State Alchemist in FMA, "dog of the Military." tongue.gif )

Yea haha... and some groups used Reole insted fo Lior... though i feel Taka is the best thats why i always dowload theres smile.gif
Anakishi
QUOTE (SonPan @ Apr 13 2009, 01:17 PM) *
QUOTE (Tombow @ Apr 13 2009, 12:04 PM) *

@SonPan - Nice find!! I'm adding this info on "Where to watch the episode" thread. Thank you!! ^^
(BTW, I see there is only one group that had correctly used the known FMA term for the State Alchemist in FMA, "dog of the Military." tongue.gif )

Yea haha... and some groups used Reole insted fo Lior... though i feel Taka is the best thats why i always dowload theres smile.gif

about the Lior/Reole thing, I think they're both acceptable, since we don't know for sure how it's spelled officially. I'm pretty sure I've seen a manga picture (a map of something) in which the spelling was "reole". Oh yeah, found it! chapter 67, page 18 (at least in my scanlation).
BTW, I'm new here, nice to meet you guys! happy.gif Just registered yesterday, though I've been reading this forum for quite a long time now.

EDIT: guess that was a little off-topic. if so, sorry...
Tombow
@Anakishi - Welcome!! Hope to see many of your posts around the board!! happy.gif Yeah, I'm guilty on Reole/Leore spelling because I use both. XD
BTW, since this being "Season 2, Episode 2 Discussion" thread, I would love to hear your comment on how you think about this episode also. ^^

===========

Also, *Program Note*
1. If anyone runs into any info on the scores used in this episode, please post and share the info so that I can add to "episode 2 info archive" that is on the first post of this thread.

2. Anyone who would like to take a shot at writing a brief (one paragraph) episode summary for this episode so that I can add the brief episode summary to the above mentioned "episode 2 info archive," please do. The basic aim for this summary is "brief" yet containing vital story info, and being "accurate." ^^
SonPan
Welcome Anakishi... im actually quite new too... i joined liek 2 weeks ago
On Topic: I really thought the transmutation part was really freaky gave me more chills than last series
Anakishi
Yes, back on topic, I got a lot to say about this episode. It was kind of confusing...

My impression after watching it once: BEAUTIFUL art, amazing background music, a little rushed (so what?), transmutation scene was very well done (geez, I just loved it that the room in the background was sort of distorted, so it followed the shape of the alchemy circle, hence emphasizing it - so classic). Guess I was caught up by the awesomeness of the visuals. Also, when Truth showed up I couldn't focus anymore ("KYAA!! it's Truth!!")

But then I started reading the thread, and all those "gah, this episode was terrible!" comments started popping up, and I was stunned, like "it was? really?! o.O" Then again, after reading all of them, considering the major arguments, and watching the ep. one more time, I was surprised at how many new points of view I had collected from that.
Some of them are:
- about the "jumping too fast from one scene to another" thing: didn't mind at all. It kinda suits the concept of "memories", like when you're dreaming and you can't really keep a rational, linear sequence of events (and notice that, at some point, Ed falls asleep while remembering all of those wink.gif )
- about the pacing of the episode, I have to admit it's too rushed for my tastes. It was very disappointing, since those were really important parts for the plot. But I seriously doubt that's the last we've seen of it; it's not like it's going to be like the first anime, where all the flashbacks of the series were condensed into two separate episodes. After all, they didn't show the house-burning scene, so there will be more, maybe they'll even show other comic parts and that one where Ed realizes the coronel's not a very loyal subordinate.
- Well, about Trisha: the manga was also very vague about her death, but I'm sure she will appear more on later flashbacks.

And, finally, my conclusion: like many others have already said, there's nothing wrong about the episode, it's just in the wrong place. Period. It was introducted too early, so there was no time to build up the tension and increase the curiosity of the viewers, and that's about it. When people that are new to the series see this, all they see is a pretty intricate (and interesting) story coming out of nowhere. They just don't care that much about Ed and Al's past yet, because there hasn't been given time for that, so in the end they don't pay as much attention and can lose some important clues for what's yet to come. A giant waste of one of the best parts in manga, I'm afraid. sad.gif

Even so, I can't judge the direction of the anime yet. There's still plenty of time for them to give all of this a good explanation. happy.gif Sorry if I'm repeating what most people said earlier, but that's how I put things together.
SonPan
@ Anakishi
I completely agree with you.... they definately will show those parts again in other flashbacks
AA battery
QUOTE (SonPan @ Apr 13 2009, 09:17 AM) *

Judging from what you said, it seems you feel that Reole is the wrong spelling?

Actually, Reole is the official spelling as seen on the manga guidebooks. Lior would be what I call "old A-keep" spellings (back when there aren't official guides and stuff).

(Scan from the Hong Kong version Perfect Guidebook 2 I bought.)
Full Metal Elf
QUOTE (Kaosugoji @ Apr 13 2009, 02:32 AM) *
I think the manga commited pretty much the same criticism as FMA2, with the pacing and what not, until the Greed storyline. The manga is doing damned great right now, but the first dozen chapters are extremely choppy, too fast, and don't leave much room for characters to make an impression. The writing staff working on FMA1 had a lot more room to stretch in terms of what creative muscles they could flex. Only a faint sketch of a storyline had been illustrated in the source material and the writers had a lot more freedom seeing that they were pretty much writing fan fiction, albeit amazing fan fiction. With FMA2, the staff knows exactly what it's adapting, and therefore, are a bit more constricted in terms of what liberties they can take, how much they can drift away. I'm pretty confident this whole thing is going to slow down.

I agree! I was thinking about this today and the manga is paced pretty fast, especially in the beginning. Compared to the first anime this may seem really rushed, but from the manga pacing it's not far off.

I really enjoyed this episode, and honestly...it doesn't take away from any suspense that was presented later because for one, I've already read it. "Truth" and everything was suspenseful in the manga, because it was new. However, it's not new anymore...it's out there, it's in the manga, it's on the internet. Instead of creating suspense with the backstory, I think they want to create suspense with the present time. They have a LOT to cover still, so getting this out early makes room for everything else (Ling, Mei, Olivier Armstrong, "Father", Sloth, Gling, etc...) There's also a lot of story arcs to cover that have nothing to do with the past anime they need time to focus on.
Edamame
Hello Tombow,

In response to program note number two of your post, here is a "brief" (I can not tell you how difficult it was to condense this episode into a long paragraph...lol) summary of episode two. Please feel free to edit this, or combind it with other summaries. I tried to touch on all the important parts in the episodes, but had to leave some information out due to the fact that the original summary that I wrote was more like three paragraphs. laugh.gif

Summary of episode two:

On their way to Reole to investigate rumors of a priest who can perform miracles, brothers Edward and Alphonse Elric reminisce about the events before and after the fated transmutation that would send them on the path to find the Philosopher’s Stone. Ten years prior to their journey, tragedy befalls the two young brothers when their mother Trisha becomes ill and passes away. While visiting their mother’s grave, Ed proposes to bring her back using the science of alchemy. Al warns Ed that all the books on alchemy state that it is taboo to bring somebody back from the dead. After days upon days of studying, Ed and Al are finally ready to perform the human transmutation. Unfortunately, a rebound occurs, leading to Al losing his entire body and Ed losing his left leg as a passage fee. After meeting with the Truth, Ed is horrified to discover that the thing he created is not his beloved mother, but rather a monster. Edward then affixes his brother’s soul to a suite of armor in exchange for his own right arm. Some time passes, and the brothers are visited by Lieutenant Colonel Mustang who has discovered that the brothers have committed the taboo of human transmutation. Mustang offers Ed the choice of becoming a State Alchemist, with the prospect of returning both himself and his brother to their former bodies. Ed obliges and is fitted with automail, steel prosthetic limbs. He latter takes the State Alchemist examination, and impresses the members of the military by his ability to perform alchemy without a transmutation circle. Ed passes the examination and officially becomes a dog of the military; he is given the title the “Fullmetal Alchemist” due to his prosthetic limbs. Thus begins the brothers´ long journey to regain what they lost by finding the legendary Philosopher’s Stone.
Becca-chan
I was finally able to watch the second episode of FMA Brotherhood today ( in spanish subs mind you, but I don't mind...I normally just watch RAWs anyway ^^; ) and I'm not really sure what to say about the episode.

I will admit that there were some scenes that I liked...such as the moment leading up to the transmutation scene ( Ed and Al with darkened out eyes was kind of creepy...it almost made them seem 'not all there' O.O) as well as the moment in the Gate ( Truth is awesome) and the scene with Riza and Winry.
( Although the arguement between Ed and Pinako was funny, Al and Winry's faces in the background were priceless XD , another funny scene was after Bradley sliced the top of Ed's spear off as well)

But I do feel like something was missing, I just can't place what exactly...but something was indeed missing from the episode.
Then again, maybe I'm just being biased since I like the original anime...but this series' episode 2 just didn't give off ( to me at least) the same impact that the third episode from the original series did.
edo little kid
I Loveeeee episode 2
It was Coooooool , scary , & funny

Ed , Edddooo I love him
when he slept , and when he said (Kinjanoyshy) in the end of episode
cute cute cuteeee !!

in fact I love new Riza she is very nice , Winry and Roooy too

yes , I have one thing not like it
the episode was too fast

but who know !?
may be , somethings will coming in next episodes

any way I looove it

and I can't wait the next one !!
Tombow
@Edamame - Thank you for the summary!! biggrin.gif
*adds to the first page* ^^
Hagane no Baka
This was by far the most plastic anime episode I've ever seen. Since I mostly agree with His Name Is Uknown here:
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...mp;#entry669687

and here:
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...12754&st=75

(All in all too fast, too little Trisha, the messed up grave scene..)

I mean sure the transmutation scene did start of creepy, the red colour, not enitrely visible faces of Ed & Al.. but then it just died out. Not to mention that I agree with mewtant307k about Mr. Truth aka Mr. Wacko o.O

Lemme see.. what else? Okay they tuned down the humour but it was still out of place. (Haha this is amusing to me) Sorry for the sarcasm but I just can't help it.

The scene with Riza and Winry was totally anti-climatic. It was like: ˝Hello cute little girl. My name is Riza and I shoot people coz I want to protect my man.˝ ˝Aha my name is Winry. 'Kay, bye.˝

And the scene with Roy and Hughes.. what was that all about? And at what time?! I mean here we have Hughes: ˝Yo Roy my man *casually smilling* hey look at the sky, it so pretty today isn't it.. oh wait why again did you make Ed and state alchemist.. they're gonna see hell in tha army x3?˝ ˝Huh, I don't care.. They've already seen it.. 'Kay bye.˝

My favourite part of the episode xDDDD was when Bradley was walking down the corridor xDDDD It was the second time Bradley mentioned his family (the first one was in ep 1). I mean there's no way Bradley is a bad guy, oh no, he's such a family guy. Now don't get me wrong here. Of course he has to put up a facade of a normal, devoted husband and father but to me this whole thing smells like bad covering for the whole 'oops we revealed Bradley is a bad guy in ep 1 so that the newcomers can act surprised later on'. Tell me about lame foreshadowing (yes I'm still clinging to that). In the end of the exam Bradley made me think of this line: ˝Hey shrimp, I'm in Central, ruling ur country.˝

In the end we see the beautiful image of Lior, which further (imo) proves the theory that this anime is just moving pictures glued together with some music and put on screen.

And last but not least (I know it was somehow paraphrased in the quotes I posted but I want to make a decent conclusion). I think that even if the episode was a bit slower, people who've already seen the first series would still have been able to enjoy. I mean I'm sure many of those people already decided they're not going to rewatch the show after they've seen the teasers and realised, it's starting from the beginning all over again. So why fast forward those 'already seen' scenes to try to engage somebody who already dropped this project into watching it? :/ It seems to me this series is much too much oriented on those people who've already seen the 1st series – and frankly even for us it does a lousy job (at least for me it does).

P.S.

1.)I'm totally for comparing the 1st two episodes of the 1st series and FMA Brotherhood.
2.)I've decided that if the show doesn't improve till episode 5, I'll drop it. So that nobody will say why am I watching the series, if I don't like it.
Makika
QUOTE (Hagane no Baka @ Apr 14 2009, 11:31 AM) *
The scene with Riza and Winry was totally anti-climatic. It was like: ˝Hello cute little girl. My name is Riza and I shoot people coz I want to protect my man.˝ ˝Aha my name is Winry. 'Kay, bye.˝

And the scene with Roy and Hughes.. what was that all about? And at what time?! I mean here we have Hughes: ˝Yo Roy my man *casually smilling* hey look at the sky, it so pretty today isn't it.. oh wait why again did you make Ed and state alchemist.. they're gonna see hell in tha army x3?˝ ˝Huh, I don't care.. They've already seen it.. 'Kay bye.˝

Hahahaha, I laugh with you. But you is right, the scene with Riza and Winry was so "WTF?"...
Roy and Hughes scene is strange too... So plastic ;O hsuishuishiu
But I hope they make a lot of flashbacks to fix it... I hope.

Elphaba
I'm a mixed bag. Firstly, I missed Trisha. A lot. If you think about it, her death is the catalyst for the series (ok, that's a stretch) and I really didn't feel her presence enough. I'm holding out for more flashbacks of happier times, and maybe a flashback death scene? Will be out of place I'm sure, but would still be nice.

Like most of us, I'm also having pacing issues too, but I don't feel like I can properly judge the pacing until the DVDs come out in the States, which we can expect from FUNi eventually. I know that sounds odd, but I feel like I won't mind the pace as much when I rewatch these first two episodes having seen more of the series all ready

I still feel like the series hasn't quite started yet, because they haven't made it to Lior yet. I really liked how in the manga (and 1st anime? Don't remember, wish I had time to rewatch....) they went full circle through the alchemist certification and various introductory adventures before we realized we were at the point in the story where they were off to Lior, where it all began (for us). In a way, seeing as how we'll be getting Lior in the next episode, I've kind of started to think of these first two episodes as a prologue of sorts, and that makes it easier to deal with. You know, 'this is who Ed is, this is who Al is, this is what happened and how and why, ok NOW we can get started'.

Now, loves. LOVED the short people banter during suppertime. The first truly in-character humor I've felt.....a lot of the stuff before seemed a bit out of place. Truth FTW. Totally amazing, so glad we have that now.......and excellent human transmutation scene.....though for some reason I kept getting scared that they were going to imply Ed's right arm was part of the price for their transmutation and not for Al's soul.

Is it just me or did Roy look a little more Asian than usual?

Riza and Winry was cute, but felt out of place.

Music = win

Bring on episode 3! I'm very much liking the changes to Rose, although it probably helps knowing that she's not going to end up as a mute religious figure with a baby and crush on Edo.
Anakishi

lol, that was priceless! biggrin.gif But, on a side note, I feel most people are forgetting to link the 2nd episode and the 1st: Hughes met the brothers a little time ago, and we see him at his house, telling Gracia he doesn't understand how someone that young would work for the army. Then, a few days later, he decides to ask Roy, nothing strange about that. But I do agree that scene was a little curious there, in middle of flashbacks.

In a way, seeing as how we'll be getting Lior in the next episode, I've kind of started to think of these first two episodes as a prologue of sorts, and that makes it easier to deal with. You know, 'this is who Ed is, this is who Al is, this is what happened and how and why, ok NOW we can get started'.

you know, that is mainly what I dislike about this episode: they don't think us viewers are smart enough to find our own answers, they want to give the information directly, and that takes all the magic away.
Makika
Ah.. I really don't like the Lior part... I don't know why but I dislike Rose and all that history...

I WANT THE MILITARY DOGS! biggrin.gif
Hagaren_4ever
Um.... maybe I'm asking an obvious question, but I watched the episode on Youtube, and it wasn't loading right and the end part got cut off and.... anyway. Can anyone tell me just what's going on in the next episode?
Tombow
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Apr 14 2009, 10:33 PM) *
Can anyone tell me just what's going on in the next episode?
@Hagaren_4ever - Preview from the official FMA series-2 JP site:

Episode 3: "Town with a Heretical Religion"
(temporary episode title till the airing of official English sub.)

Ed and Al heard the rumor about the town with a heretical religion with the founder who is said to perform "miracle," and travel to the town of Reole to investigate. They learn that Cornello, founder of the heretical religion Leto, peforms alchemy that does not follow "Equivalent Exchange." In the town, they meet a girl, Rose, and she takes them to meet Cornello at his temple.... (translation by me ^^)
Full Metal Elf
So I watched the episode for the second time and have to agree on the points that it rushed over Trisha way to fast. It gave me no time to grieve for her loss with Ed and Al.

I also missed the Roy and Ed conversation after the alchemy test. However, I feel that they might use these back stories throughout the series so it could show-up later (all of this didn't show-up until Vol. 6 and we were fine until then).

I found I loved the entire transmutation scene even more and Mustang's visit to Resembool. I can't wait for the next episode!! biggrin.gif
Kyelinn
Did anybody every consider that they might have rushed it for a reason? =/ I mean we have yet to see the Izumi arc. For all we know they could really expand and elaborate more during that entire flasback scene in those chapters...I do have a feeling Trisha is going to get plenty more screentime.
Goral
QUOTE (Kyelinn @ Apr 15 2009, 08:23 AM) *
Did anybody every consider that they might have rushed it for a reason? (...) For all we know they could really expand and elaborate more during that entire flasback scene in those chapters...I do have a feeling Trisha is going to get plenty more screentime. (...)

But it doesn't matter that they might explain all this later on. This is "Episode 2 General Discussion" thread not Future Episodes Discussion Thread. You're being silly.

QUOTE (Hagane no Baka @ Apr 14 2009, 04:31 PM) *

My favourite part of the episode xDDDD was when Bradley was walking down the corridor xDDDD It was the second time Bradley mentioned his family (the first one was in ep 1). I mean there's no way Bradley is a bad guy, oh no, he's such a family guy. Now don't get me wrong here. Of course he has to put up a facade of a normal, devoted husband and father but to me this whole thing smells like bad covering for the whole 'oops we revealed Bradley is a bad guy in ep 1 so that the newcomers can act surprised later on'. Tell me about lame foreshadowing (yes I'm still clinging to that). In the end of the exam Bradley made me think of this line: ˝Hey shrimp, I'm in Central, ruling ur country.˝

In the end we see the beautiful image of Lior, which further (imo) proves the theory that this anime is just moving pictures glued together with some music and put on screen.

And last but not least (I know it was somehow paraphrased in the quotes I posted but I want to make a decent conclusion). I think that even if the episode was a bit slower, people who've already seen the first series would still have been able to enjoy. I mean I'm sure many of those people already decided they're not going to rewatch the show after they've seen the teasers and realised, it's starting from the beginning all over again. So why fast forward those 'already seen' scenes to try to engage somebody who already dropped this project into watching it? :/ It seems to me this series is much too much oriented on those people who've already seen the 1st series – and frankly even for us it does a lousy job (at least for me it does).

P.S.

1.)I'm totally for comparing the 1st two episodes of the 1st series and FMA Brotherhood.
2.)I've decided that if the show doesn't improve till episode 5, I'll drop it. So that nobody will say why am I watching the series, if I don't like it.

Amen.
Edamame
Did anybody every consider that they might have rushed it for a reason? I mean we have yet to see the Izumi arc. For all we know they could really expand and elaborate more during that entire flasback scene in those chapters...I do have a feeling Trisha is going to get plenty more screentime.

I have to say that I truly could not agree more Kyelin. I viewed both of these past two episodes as a prologue to the series. As you have mentioned, we are no where near the infamous "Izumi" arc, where the brothers tell their entire tale to their master. I believe that we are going to see a great deal more of the transmutation, the events surrounding Trisha´s death, and Hohenheim leaving his family latter in the anime. Seriously though, I am not going to be one of those people who says that the new series automatically sucks, and thus stop watching. I actually started out not liking the first series, but I gave it a chance and grew to love it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I am going to give this series a fair chance. tongue.gif

edo little kid
QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 15 2009, 05:02 AM) *
Did anybody every consider that they might have rushed it for a reason? I mean we have yet to see the Izumi arc. For all we know they could really expand and elaborate more during that entire flasback scene in those chapters...I do have a feeling Trisha is going to get plenty more screentime.

I have to say that I truly could not agree more Kyelin. I viewed both of these past two episodes as a prologue to the series. As you have mentioned, we are no where near the infamous "Izumi" arc, where the brothers tell their entire tale to their master. I believe that we are going to see a great deal more of the transmutation, the events surrounding Trisha´s death, and Hohenheim leaving his family latter in the anime. Seriously though, I am not going to be one of those people who says that the new series automatically sucks, and thus stop watching. I actually started out not liking the first series, but I gave it a chance and grew to love it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I am going to give this series a fair chance. tongue.gif

I agree with you ^^
fullmoon
QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 15 2009, 10:02 PM) *

I have to say that I truly could not agree more Kyelin. I viewed both of these past two episodes as a prologue to the series. As you have mentioned, we are no where near the infamous "Izumi" arc, where the brothers tell their entire tale to their master. I believe that we are going to see a great deal more of the transmutation, the events surrounding Trisha´s death, and Hohenheim leaving his family latter in the anime. Seriously though, I am not going to be one of those people who says that the new series automatically sucks, and thus stop watching.

Edamame, Kyelin, I agree with you too. There are still plenty of opportunities for flashbacks and the Izumi arc is the perfect place to cover more details on their past. It's not like this is all we are getting happy.gif besides I'm happy with what we've been given. It's truly wonderful to see their past again, even though it may be a bit different. Besides...the expectations are so high for this series...it's not easy to create a new series that does it's best to cater all FMA fans...new and old. Also it's natural for there to be disappointments.... as it's being compared...but...
As this series has only just begun....we haven't seen nothing yet. There is a lot more to see and let's enjoy it happy.gif.

QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 15 2009, 10:02 PM) *
I actually started out not liking the first series, but I gave it a chance and grew to love it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I am going to give this series a fair chance. tongue.gif

- Thank you Fullmoon for lightening the mood. We need it here....

I was the same Edamame...but look at us now happy.gif. Totally into it XD.

Yes, i agree...and right with you there wink.gif

No problem! I thought it was a bit of a laugh =D.
Kyelinn
QUOTE (Goral @ Apr 15 2009, 02:27 AM) *
QUOTE (Kyelinn @ Apr 15 2009, 08:23 AM) *
Did anybody every consider that they might have rushed it for a reason? (...) For all we know they could really expand and elaborate more during that entire flasback scene in those chapters...I do have a feeling Trisha is going to get plenty more screentime. (...)

But it doesn't matter that they might explain all this later on. This is "Episode 2 General Discussion" thread not Future Episodes Discussion Thread. You're being silly.

Look I'm sorry, but I'm starting to get really SICK of you quoting me and telling me I'm being silly or trying to pick fights with me. All I did was make a statement. If you don't stop being so rude to people, I'm going to report you. End of story. You might like to argue, but I don't and I'm certainly not going to do it with you. You like to be cruel and call people names and that's not what this is all about, especially in a proper debate. So please, just stop quoting me, stay away from my posts and leave me alone.

QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 15 2009, 07:02 AM) *

Thank you soooo much for saying that and same to you, fullmoon! I'm so glad somebody finally agrees with me. biggrin.gif I'm definitely giving this anime a chance. I know most people don't like the first two episodes, but I know I really enjoyed them. I really liked the 2nd one, regardless of it's fast-pacing, it was still a good episode! biggrin.gif
Tombow
<Program Note>

@Goral - I agree with Kyelinn here. And, this is not an isolated incident.
I have read your posts since you registered to our board, and as soon as you came on our board you started "picking fight" right away by making posts in inciting manners.

I have openly reminded, more than a few times now, and asked to focus on the topic discussions instead and conduct discussions in civilized manners, but you continue with your name calling of our members and inciting manners of postings. It is time that you heed the reminder and change your posting manners on our board.

If you would like to pick fights with people who do not hold the same opinion as yours, I advise you to go elsewhere. Or, if you would like to continue having discussions on our board, it's time you change your inciting manner of posting and stop name calling of other posters who do not agree with your opinion.

I'm giving you 3 days of time-out time.
When you come back on, if you'd like to continue having discussions on our board, I expect you to stop your name calling of other members on our board and inciting manners of postings.

-----------------------

Once again, open reminder to everyone:
On your post, please try to stay focused on "topic discussions." Please remember...on your post, discussion is good, whereas personal fighting is not. biggrin.gif
amestris_star
QUOTE (Edamame @ Apr 15 2009, 02:02 PM) *

I agree with you dears. I'm really enjoying watching the episodes, and I'm a hardcore manga fan. And I still haven't seen anything in these 2 episodes (mind you, we are speaking of the first TWO episodes) has made me go: WTH this is so OOC? No, it's all within the manga context, and I'm loving it. Yes, some things are being skipped (but I consider this natural, the important thing is that they don't skip the important, essential stuff) and some things seem to be rushed (Trisha's death and Izumi's brief appearance). But I consider that as done on purpose - most probably we will have greater flashbacks later on.
Demonic Rosebush
To be honest there was only one thing that seemed rushed to me. It was like, "This is Ed and Al's mum, and their daddy's gone, but luckily Trisha is really nice to them. Oh, btw, she's dead." No time to wonder if you might like this character, because before you get the time to do so, she's dead. But I'm perfectly sure we will see more of Ed and Al's past in future episodes. I mean, we have quite a few eps to go before we even get to Greed, including the boy's meeting with Izumi, which will probably bring us another flashback.

I loved the ep btw, the human transmutation was amazing. I absolutly loved it, especially the scene that came after it, where Ed was all alone. Yeah, I really liked this ep.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.