Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 2: The First Day - Content Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Edward Cardinal Elric
Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 13 of this thread. smile.gif

Please post discussions on episode 2 of FMA:Brotherhood here.
Also, this thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of this episode and episode 1. Anyone coming in to this thread, please be ready for full spoilers of these two episode!! smile.gif

* Where to watch this episode

* HD Screencaps, courtesy of AA Battery.

* Transcription of the official English sub of this episode on Funimation.com, courtesy of His Name is Unknown.

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(The episode title is from official sub, the preview part is translation by Tombow)
Episode 2: "The First Day"
To revive their beloved dead mother, Ed and Al attempt "Human Transmutation," a practice considered as a biggest taboo in Alchemy. But, it ends in failure, and them paying a heavy price for their attempt. One day, a military man visits the despaired brothers with a suggestion to become the State Alchemist. To regain what they have lost, the brothers' long journey has begun!

----------------------

Episode Summary: (Courtesy of Edamame)
On their way to Reole to investigate rumors of a priest who can perform miracles, brothers Edward and Alphonse Elric reminisce about the events before and after the fated transmutation that would send them on the path to find the Philosopher’s Stone. Ten years prior to their journey, tragedy befalls the two young brothers when their mother Trisha becomes ill and passes away. While visiting their mother’s grave, Ed proposes to bring her back using the science of alchemy. Al warns Ed that all the books on alchemy state that it is taboo to bring somebody back from the dead. After days upon days of studying, Ed and Al are finally ready to perform the human transmutation. Unfortunately, a rebound occurs, leading to Al losing his entire body and Ed losing his left leg as a passage fee. After meeting with the Truth, Ed is horrified to discover that the thing he created is not his beloved mother, but rather a monster. Edward then affixes his brother’s soul to a suite of armor in exchange for his own right arm. Some time passes, and the brothers are visited by Lieutenant Colonel Mustang who has discovered that the brothers have committed the taboo of human transmutation. Mustang offers Ed the choice of becoming a State Alchemist, with the prospect of returning both himself and his brother to their former bodies. Ed obliges and is fitted with automail, steel prosthetic limbs. He latter takes the State Alchemist examination, and impresses the members of the military by his ability to perform alchemy without a transmutation circle. Ed passes the examination and officially becomes a dog of the military; he is given the title the “Fullmetal Alchemist” due to his prosthetic limbs. Thus begins the brothersī long journey to regain what they lost by finding the legendary Philosopher’s Stone.

Characters in this episode:
Edward Erlic
Alphonse Elric
Trisha Elric
Roy Mustang
Maes Hughes
Riza Hawkeye
Winry Rockbell
Den (dog)
Pinako Rockbell
King Bradly
Izumi Curtis (Brief flashback scene)
Truth

Resembool (flashback)
Central (flashback)
The Gate of Truth (flashback)

Sound Track info for this episode that's known to us so far: (To be filled)

FMA manga reference: To the readers of FMA manga (To be filled)

=================================

Although I will need to reserve in-depth analysis and final judgment until after I am able to watch the second episode in descent quality with subtitles (a translation would definitely come in handy in assessing the finer points of this episode), I feel quite safe in tentatively stating that tonight's episode did a superb job in relating the story of Edward and Alphonse's misguided attempt to resurrect their mother. I think that this second season likely has surpassed the first, in my opinion, in effectively portraying the Elric brothers' tragic back-story. I greatly enjoyed the background music for this episode and I felt that it complemented the events of the storyline very well. The art and visuals in this episode provided for a number of very touching moments and effectively drew me into the storyline by eliciting a deep sense of sympathy for the Elric brothers. Although a number of comedic moments did pop up (I have a limited tolerance for such interludes), the overall amount of comedy seems to have dropped off a bit from the first episode. The overarching tone of the series is most definitely serious; the mood will likely only become even more dramatic as the series evolves and unfolds (good news for those, such as myself, who prefer the more solemn side of FMA). The plotline still seems to be progressing at a fairly breakneck speed, although I have a feeling that the pace of the series will slow as new material is introduced that was not a part of the first season. Overall, I believe that the second episode was excellent and I eagerly await both Thursday's release from Funimation as well as future FMA installments.

Additionally, from the trailer for next week's episode, it looks like the animators have toned down the previously bright pink hue of Rose's hair. This is a very welcome development indeed (I truly despise oddly colored hair on anime characters dry.gif ).
amestris_star
I suspect they're going through this a bit fast because it had already featured in the first anime. However, this is all needed for the time when the new manga based stuff starts. Let's say this will all lead to Hughes' death and then slow down to normal pace after that.
They certainly have something in mind about this.
Same here, I need to see the ep in HQ and subtitles for sure to make a more critical analysis, however, I loved the transmutation scene. It makes you almost touch the despair that Ed felt at that point. The rendering of Truth was awesome and scary at the same time.
One thing they left vague is Trisha's death. But I have the suspiscion that this will be dealt with in more detail in a later flashback.
Alzea
After this episode it was something like: woah!
Everything was happening so fast but I liked it, I donít really mind this pace. Aw, there was The Truth guy~! This scene with him in the gate was great. Alís face after Edís Ďcute commentí to Winry Ė priceless. When Al was saying 'I'm sorry' to Roy I felt like crying...
Iím happy there is so many things from manga. But itís a shame there wonít be this scene where Ed is asking Roy why he didnít rushed to help BradleyÖ BGM is amazing, yeah when it comes out, I need to get OST...
I can't really say much now since I don't understand japanese so....Waiting for subs ^^
Anyway, flashback was great, next episode Ė Lior.
Sannom
Funny thing in this episode : Isaac was a badass alchemist, and apparently he knew about Rentanjutsu too sleep.gif So we will have the Xingese then!

Ah, another funny thing : they aged Trisha laugh.gif In one of the teaser, you could read she was dead at age 26, now she is dead at age 31.
amestris_star
QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 12 2009, 11:07 AM) *
Funny thing in this episode : Isaac was a badass alchemist, and apparently he knew about Rentanjutsu too sleep.gif So we will have the Xingese then!

Ah, another funny thing : they aged Trisha laugh.gif In one of the teaser, you could read she was dead at age 26, now she is dead at age 31.

Yeah, naturally, it shall follow the manga hence Xingese >D
For the Trisha-age thing, well, probably they changed it after that ^^

@Alzea: Yes, I noticed that too from the exam scene. Well, if all the manga scenes were put into the episodes, we would have a neverending series *__*
Radadinator
I can't believe they managed to put that much stuff into twenty-four minutes without throwing off the timing (too much.) I think that they rushed Trisha's death and Ed and Al's fight scene, but I suppose that's understandable. And there's less humor in this episode, so that's an improvement.

My only complaint is that they left out the burning house scene, but hopefully that'll come in a flashback in another episode?

And this series's transmutation scene was a thousand times better than the old one. The old one was depressing, but the new one's just...scary.

I need a subbed version to do a better analysis, though.
amestris_star
QUOTE (Radadinator @ Apr 12 2009, 11:23 AM) *
I can't believe they managed to put that much stuff into twenty-four minutes without throwing off the timing (too much.) I think that they rushed Trisha's death and Ed and Al's fight scene, but I suppose that's understandable. And there's less humor in this episode, so that's an improvement.

My only complaint is that they left out the burning house scene, but hopefully that'll come in a flashback in another episode?

And this series's transmutation scene was a thousand times better than the old one. The old one was depressing, but the new one's just...scary.

I need a subbed version to do a better analysis, though.

On the burning house scene... it's in the OP, so I suspect that it will come later on for sure.

Yeah, scary is the right term to use to describe it, hence perfect, as it's how it should be and meant to be in the manga after all.

EDIT: First screenshots from the ep:

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/04/12...od-02/#comments
fullmoon
Wow...i don't know where to start...i loved it though i really wish there was more Trisha, Ed and Al burning their house and Ed going through automail surgery but perhaps that'll come later as flashbacks happy.gif . The transmutation scene...was creepy, intriguing and intense. Paku-san did an amazing job...i was so close to crying...and Ed in the wheelchair...his expression....Al apologizing over and over to Roy...it was heartbreaking.

It was so nice to see scenes taken directly from the manga happy.gif, it's so wonderful!

I was so eager to hear Truth's voice and wow..creepy! and the 'equivalent exchange' part...and his evil smile...loved it!.

Oh and when Ed was hit by the wrench and he was on the ground XD His spirit coming out of his mouth XD and the whole milk thing. So cute!

Plus the exam, i loved Ed's expression when his spear broke XD and the fuhrer going "hua hua hua" XD

Music was fantastic!! Ahh....I must get the soundtrack when it's out! =D

The humor was great and wasn't overused.

Also Pinako looks different....(i'm glad it's the still the same seiyuu =D or at least i think it is)

Loved Riza's voice and Winry's is adorable. Now that i'm used to Roy's voice, it suits him well. I can't wait to hear Winry when she's older.

The art is beautiful with the occasional weird expression XD such as Ed's expression at the very end of the episode XD

XD.

I forgot to mention pacing. It was very fast paced but it got to the point. Though it went very fast in terms of Ed and Al's time with Trisha and her death. So fast...
Hopefully...it'll be covered more in oh (godly) flashbacks XD. (Sorry for mentioning flashbacks so much XD.)

For the Eyecatch...I thought the "Fullmetal Alchemist" voice over English guy was gone ("yes!!" Is what i thought) and then after the Ads...."Damn". Oh well XD.

Next week is Lior. Yay!! and Rose looks different happy.gif (she's paler and her bubblegum pink hair is toned down). Oh! I can't wait!
Lior looks stunning (though i'm so used to seeing it as a desert XD).
Flamez_Freak
some more info people....by reading ur posts it sounds amazin...anyways preview for the 3rd episode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49b7AKaY_UQ
Sannom
LOL Rose laugh.gif "A little bit paler"??? Are you kidding??? She is freaking aspirin-white wink.gif I can't even say it's the same person tongue.gif
amestris_star
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category...8210007dyXPgdbB

Thankfully someone uploaded it.
Hope I find a HQ DDL link soon lol
fullmoon
QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 12 2009, 10:12 PM) *
LOL Rose laugh.gif "A little bit paler"??? Are you kidding??? She is freaking aspirin-white wink.gif I can't even say it's the same person tongue.gif

*laughs* I agree with the aspirin-white description XD. She still looks looks cute though.

Oh and...

Yummy!! >w<

Thanks fma_milan_freak and amestris_star! Legends ^0^. Now i can re-watch the 3rd ep preview and the episode. What's not to love!
edo little kid
QUOTE (fma_milan_freak @ Apr 12 2009, 05:05 AM) *
some more info people....by reading ur posts it sounds amazin...anyways preview for the 3rd episode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49b7AKaY_UQ

Woooooooooow amazing !!

same Manga , same Mangaaaa \^o^/

I like new Rose , she is soooooooooo beautiful wink.gif

thanks alooot FMA_Milan-san ^^
Flamez_Freak
thx edo little kid....and speaking about rose...i guess i like the new one better...
amestris_star
Just saw the first part of the ep with Volume 6, Chapter 23 in my hands.
Perfect. Simply. Perfect.
edo little kid
Awwwwwo

Ed looks small punk in pics ^^

but he is so cute , I love him ^^

thanks FullMoon for nice pics !

Alzea
Subs by shinsen-subs are out, if someone wants link PM me (only torrents right now) *goes search for the DDL*
Oh, well I have to go for now, link is on the shinsen-subs' main page, just google it^^
amestris_star
And followed the second part with the manga in my hands too.
Loved the feeling >D

@Alzea: That's great!
Yikie
QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 12 2009, 06:41 AM) *
Subs by shinsen-subs are out, if someone wants link PM me (only torrents right now) *goes search for the DDL*
Oh, well I have to go for now, link is on the shinsen-subs' main page, just google it^^

DDL is out too ^^!
black~hayate
QUOTE (amestris_star @ Apr 12 2009, 05:35 AM) *
Just saw the first part of the ep with Volume 6, Chapter 23 in my hands.
Perfect. Simply. Perfect.

Whoa O___o Share with us please xD
AA battery
Hmm, is it just me, or does Truth sounds like Park Romi + Kugimiya Rie's voices modified? X3

The voice actors for Truth is not in the credit list, so it's possible that it's Romi and Rie =3

and LMAO @ Ed's face at the last bit of the episode. It's simply priceless.
Goral
Didn't like it :/. It was even worse than previous episode and that's odd coming from me because I hated first one. What was with Ed being a narrator? That didn't fit at all. Hughes' question "Why did you make Ed a state alchemist" was artificial just to explain how did Ed become one. All these jumps from one time to another reminded me of Claymore and Pieta battle (though instead time skips there were space jumps). It completely ruined the mood. All episode was rushed too much and like in previous one they condensed as mch information as they could. And what I'm most angry about is how they showed Ed's first encounter with Bradley. They've skipped through most of dialogue and it was done lamely... The same can be said when Winry talked with Riza. What's more when Ed said "you're not cute" or sth like that Winry blushed... It was so not FMA like. "You're not cute" is a schematic that can be seen in almost every poor shounen or shoujo for masses. For now FMA 2003 wins easily.
Radadinator
QUOTE (AA battery @ Apr 12 2009, 06:48 AM) *
Hmm, is it just me, or does Truth sounds like Park Romi + Kugimiya Rie's voices modified? X3

The voice actors for Truth is not in the credit list, so it's possible that it's Romi and Rie =3

and LMAO @ Ed's face at the last bit of the episode. It's simply priceless.

Truth does sort of sound like their voices condensed together.
That would make sense...although it's a bit creepy.

QUOTE (Goral @ Apr 12 2009, 06:57 AM) *
The same can be said when Winry talked with Riza. What's more when Ed said "you're not cute" or sth like that Winry blushed... It was so not FMA like. "You're not cute" is a schematic that can be seen in almost every poor shounen or shoujo for masses. For now FMA 2003 wins easily.

Doesn't Ed say that frequently?
It's also a schematic that's used in just about any story.

I do agree with you on the timing thing, though. Trisha was just sort of there and then left.
Kyelinn
QUOTE (Goral @ Apr 12 2009, 08:57 AM) *
Didn't like it :/. It was even worse than previous episode and that's odd coming from me because I hated first one. What was with Ed being a narrator? That didn't fit at all. Hughes' question "Why did you make Ed a state alchemist" was artificial just to explain how did Ed become one. All these jumps from one time to another reminded me of Claymore and Pieta battle (though instead time skips there were space jumps). It completely ruined the mood. All episode was rushed too much and like in previous one they condensed as mch information as they could. And what I'm most angry about is how they showed Ed's first encounter with Bradley. They've skipped through most of dialogue and it was done lamely... The same can be said when Winry talked with Riza. What's more when Ed said "you're not cute" or sth like that Winry blushed... It was so not FMA like. "You're not cute" is a schematic that can be seen in almost every poor shounen or shoujo for masses. For now FMA 2003 wins easily.

Wow, complaint much? Ed always says "You're not cute, not sexy" to Winry and quite a lot too. Honestly, they rushed this because all of this stuff was shown in the previous anime. There's going to be a lot of changing once we get past Hughes's death I believe. Have you even read the manga just out of curiosity? It is quite FMA like when it comes to the manga. Seriously, read the manga before you go throwing around opinions and judging because the writing is a hell of a lot different than the first anime...and much more enjoyable if you ask me. The manga story owns the first anime anyday.
Goral
lol
I've read manga, this particular scene was totally different. In manga it was natural. And there was absolutely NO BLUSHING. They were kids then, damn it! Love wasn't in Winry's head then at all nor she cared about being cute or not. She was seriously fighting with him (using her wrench) and it wasn't so pompous (actually it was no pompous at all). And they've skipped important part of the dialogue that showed Winry's resolve and added some humour to it ("You've got two choices, either you listen to me or I'll smack you in the head" - said Winry nonchalantly walking past Ed). In short: it was nothing like in the manga.

QUOTE (Kyelinn @ Apr 12 2009, 04:18 PM) *
The manga story owns the first anime anyday.

Agreed on this one but IMO on the other hand first adaptation owns this one.
AA battery
It's too early to say whether or not the first adaptation was better since the new season only aired like what, 2 episodes. Maybe it will improve later? Since it's quite obvious that they did everything in a rush, and it's too hard to get get compared to the first adaptation... so I'm heading over to the "let's sit and wait and see" boat. XD
Goral
@AA battery
I thought it was obvious I was talking about first two episodes, guess I was wrong biggrin.gif.
AA battery
QUOTE (Goral @ Apr 12 2009, 07:55 AM) *
@AA battery
I thought it was obvious I was talking about first two episodes, guess I was wrong biggrin.gif.

I guess it is obvious that you didn't get what I meant. Oh well, what can you expect from someone with merely 3 posts. Mr. Newb, go read the forum rules and learn to be nice.

Comparing a whole series VS 2 episodes = wrong. You clearly didn't get that.

Anyhow, SLEEP.
Goral
@AA battery

I think the one who didn't get the message is you biggrin.gif. Comparing first two episodes of FMA 2003 and first two episodes of FMA 2009 makes perfect sense. They own completely first two episodes of this "true adaptation". And what number of posts does have to do with anything? I'll rewrite my last sentence from first post so you could understand:
Agreed on this one but IMO on the other hand first adaptation owns this one FOR NOW.
Sannom

No, but he does in that specific scene. "Be nice if you're not cute! Mechanic fanatic!", something like that. Winry hits him two times in that same scene in the manga : one when she sees the brother fighting, with her wrench, and the second time when Ed transmutes his automail, and here she hits with a chair.

Speaking of wrench-kicking, I can't wait for the time where she will hit Al. I consider that scene the only "serious" wrench scene.
Alzea
QUOTE (AA battery @ Apr 12 2009, 04:59 PM) *
Comparing a whole series VS 2 episodes = wrong. You clearly didn't get that.

So true.
Now, they're rushing everything because they don't want to repeat so many scenes and they just want to get to the moment of Hughes' death, because since that event, previous anime started to go its own way. I think that after this, FMA will get a slower pace and everything should go just fine.

Goral, would you really be happy to see exactly the same two first episodes as in the FMA 1 but with better animation and changed VA? First two eps in FMA1 are good because they are just the same as in the manga, in the second season they couldn't copy it...They just had to do something else...
AA battery
QUOTE (Goral @ Apr 12 2009, 08:08 AM) *
@AA battery

I think the one who didn't get the message is you biggrin.gif. Comparing first two episodes of FMA 2003 and first two episodes of FMA 2009 makes perfect sense. They own completely first two episodes of this "true adaptation". And what number of posts does have to do with anything? I'll rewrite my last sentence from first post so you could understand:
Agreed on this one but IMO on the other hand first adaptation owns this one FOR NOW.

*sigh*

Ok, I admit that I thought you were comparing overall 2003 season to the first 2 episodes of new season. Your post was not clear the first time I read it. Regardless, you didn't have to sound so rude with the added sarcasm you know? It's 8am my time and I am still up because I was doing screencapping and stuff.

Anyhow, I think it's still unfair to compare the first two episodes in 2003 and in the new season. Because the first 2 episodes in 2003 were already done pretty well (although I didn't quite like how "less-cool" they made Ed in the first 2 episodes of 2003, compared to manga), it's hard to redo the EXACT same thing and be better. I'm sure people already went over this in a different thread because I recall reading it somewhere; it is fair enough that they started the series in different way so that they can distinguish the two seasons. I personally really liked the first episode in new season, although agree that the second episode is a little too fast-paced. But I don't think the new season is as horrible as you claim. I found what you said quite insulting, and my first impression to your post was "Then why are you watching it if you have to complain so much"?

I'm gonna stop here otherwise I'd just be repeating what people have already said in a different thread. Sleep for real now. x_x

Edit: To stay on topic... I really like how they did the part inside the gate and Truth. It was really cool and creepy at the same time. xD It's too bad they rushed Trisha's part though... I guess the next time we see her would be the part where she tells Pinako her message for Hohenheim? ("Sorry I couldn't wait" or something like that...) Hopefully when we get to that part, we get more screentime for Trisha as well.
Goral
QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 12 2009, 05:14 PM) *
Goral, would you really be happy to see exactly the same two first episodes as in the FMA 1 but with better animation and changed VA? First two eps in FMA1 are good because they are just the same as in the manga, in the second season they couldn't copy it...They just had to do something else...

I've got a question to You, how many times have You read manga? Only once? If no, was it boring when You've read it the second time?
To answer Your question directly and honestly - if they just remastered first two episodes I would still probably whine that they didn't stick to the manga completely BUT that's assuming I wouldn't know first two episodes of what they've done now. If I could choose knowing what I know now then yes, I would be happy to see exactly the same two first episodes as in the FMA 1.
And could you extrapolate on the "They just had to do something else..." bit? They had to? Don't think so (Hellsing Ultimate, Dragon Ball Kai, NGE). Now they've completely screwed chronology that was in the manga so there will be quite big differences between manga and anime for sure.
Tombow
Reminder to Goral & AA battery, and everyone:

We do have Season 1 vs Season 2 (Brotherhood) thread. If you'd like to discuss First series vs Brotherhood, you can head over there and continue S-1 vs S-2 discussions there. smile.gif

Also, I'm sure everyone knows this already, but anyway...
...allow me to remind everyone about not attacking the POSTER just because he/she may have different opinion from yours. IMO, different opinions and views are valuable ways to learn more about the subject, and people who are willing to post and share different way of looking at the subject with us are very much appreciated.
Asking them questions on the topic subject helps us learn different angle of looking at the subject, and IMO these discussions help posters and readers of this thread, whereas attacking the poster, IMO, would discourage people to post and share their opinions when they think theirs is not the perceived "majority" opinion of the thread, and IMO that could be our missed opportunity to learn more on the subject.

Please try to stay focused on the discussion on the topic content, and not on attacking the posters. smile.gif
Alzea
Yes, I read it countless times, but why are you asking?
You would enjoy it, but remember yor're not the only one who is watching it. If they'd simply gave us the same first two episodes but a little better, they'd lost many watchers, who could thought 'I already saw this' and all. So they had to do something else, something new but still it had to follow manga. They did something like this, I don't mind. I liked first episode, as for a filler episode I think it was a good one. Second ep was rushed, they could easily make two eps about that events (more Izumi, Trisha, state alchemist exam). So it was just fine, I like the way how the did it since there were many things from manga and I'm very happy about that.
I'm not making you to like FMA2, I'm just proving you that IMHO it wasn't as bad as you wrote about it.
edxwinryfan
Is there a sub out yet? If there is can someone give me a link for it?
Tombow
^ @edxwinryfan - Yap. (Please see the following quoted post ^^)

QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 12 2009, 08:41 AM) *
Flamez_Freak
if u ask me ...i loved the episodes...i would not bash it like how Goral is bashing it...why dont u wait before jumping to big conclusions,,,,
edxwinryfan
I was actually looking for a video that I wouldn't have to download... is there one,because I watched the first episode without having to download it. unsure.gif
Tombow
@edxwinryfan - I think if we give a little more time they will show up. After all the episode aired in Japan just a few hours ago. biggrin.gif

---------------

QUOTE (fma_milan_freak @ Apr 12 2009, 12:13 PM) *
if u ask me ...i loved the episodes...i would not bash it like how Goral is bashing it...why dont u wait before jumping to big conclusions,,,,

Let me keep reminding again:

NO personal attacking of posters just because he/she posts opinion that is different from yours. Please stick to the topic discussions.
(BTW, that goes for everyone.)
Kyelinn
QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 12 2009, 10:12 AM) *

No, but he does in that specific scene. "Be nice if you're not cute! Mechanic fanatic!", something like that. Winry hits him two times in that same scene in the manga : one when she sees the brother fighting, with her wrench, and the second time when Ed transmutes his automail, and here she hits with a chair.

Speaking of wrench-kicking, I can't wait for the time where she will hit Al. I consider that scene the only "serious" wrench scene.

Actually, there are a few more times Ed had said that to her. In that particular scene and another I can recall is after Winry delivers the baby in Rush Valley and Ed carries her piggyback, she starts in on the "being carried by a guy shorter than me" and he says "you're not cute, not sexy" to her or something along those lines. I can't remember exactly what's said. Would have to go look it up in the manga and I cba to right now. Too lazy. tongue.gif

In any case, I agree with you what say, AA. You can't judge the 2nd anime quite yet because it's only just begun. It's rather ridiculous to compare the first two episodes to the first anime. Not to mention, Goral, as people have stated previously as well as myself, I'll reiterate: They are most likely rushing these scenes because they've BEEN seen BEFORE in the FIRST anime. Geddit? biggrin.gif Anyway, I just watched the raw and I have NO idea what they're saying really so I had to grab my manga and follow along. laugh.gif This episode was great! It was a little disappointing that Trisha wasn't in it much. I absolutely love Trisha. ;_; And seeing Ed in that wheelchair...and how Al kept saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" to Mustang...so heart-wrenching.
Flamez_Freak
actually tombow...i didnt attack him at all....
edxwinryfan
Okay I found a video that you don't have to download (well someone sent me it, thank you crazylazy89) if anyone else wants it here it is:

http://animezone.info.tm/fullmetal-alchemi...ode-2-t5991.htm
Cece
I liked the episode. I did want to see Trisha more but I have to agree with most people if they repeated episode 1 and 2 they way it was in the manga it would be boring. As much as I love FMA I would probably skip it too because I read it and I watched in the last series. I did want to see Winry hit Ed with a chair though. LOL! It was priceless and I did want to see Al's youthful joke though.
black~hayate
QUOTE (edxwinryfan @ Apr 12 2009, 10:28 AM) *
Okay I found a video that you don't have to download (well someone sent me it, thank you crazylazy89) if anyone else wants it here it is:

http://animezone.info.tm/fullmetal-alchemi...ode-2-t5991.htm

Thank you very much, I already gave up hope to see this episode today.
Thx thx thx ^___^ subs, finally! Online! <3
temmy
Okay, let's see here . . . Now, keep in mind this is after one viewing; I'll be waiting for the HQ subs.

I . . . didn't like it. I'm a sappy, sentimental person, and none of the feeling was there. Yeah, the animation was nice (it was amazing, though sometimes the faces looked a bit weird, especially Roy's), but it seemed like this episode was just "something-we-have-to-do" (which it was) and the quality of the storytelling itself was rather horrible because it showed. The grave scene? I stared and waited for some emotional impact to hit me: Nope, none, nada (though now it occurs to me that that was probably the umpteenth time they visited the grave; was initially thrown off by the similarity in dialogue from the first series with Al saying, "I'm hungry," the day of the funeral). The scene changes were jumpy and erratic, Trisha had a whopping half a minute devoted to her, and character-wise, she sounded a bit shallow (I dunno why; it's probably because I have a knee-jerk reaction to parents boasting about their kids - ugh). The transmutation scene itself felt rushed, and the result of the transmutation was definitely not as scary as the one from the first series. And they didn't show Ed screaming in pain at the automail surgery. sad.gif

I think the humor in this episode was badly juxtaposed with all the tragedy. It didn't work for me. (Ed's insult-competition with what's-her-name was nice, though).

Now, what did I like:

The opening (before the OP song) was cool, if a little artificial; lazy storytelling, because they could've easily inserted that into the episode itself, but nice showing all the souls trapped in the Philosopher's Stone. Pretty good foreshadowing.

I like how they threw the flashback on top of Ed's train ride to Lior. That was one of the things in the episode that felt natural. (Btw, anyone else bothered by the fact Al was sitting next to Ed on the train and not across from him? Haha, I'm so bothered by this it's not even funny, but it's just me being neurotically anal.)

The backgrounds were beautiful. Pastel, anyone? And the BG music improved markedly. The night they performed the transmutation? That red filter and crow were neeaattttt.

Winry. Winry, Winry, Winry; great characterization here. The Gate and the Truth were plain awesome. And Hughes's office was amazing (I know, I'm weird).

I loved, loved, loved Roy's confrontation with Ed and Ed's exam scene, though I wish the latter were extended. (Heck, I wish the entire episode were extended, but . . . ) They showed the floor caving in a little! smile.gif

I'm hovering on the brink of liking the design of this Ed over the design of the first Ed. Same with Roy's design (like his VA better though). But then they make this weird face just when I'm deciding I like them, and - argh.

Riza's VA: Whoa, I dunno if it's because she looks younger in this episode, but I wasn't bothered by it . . . Hm.

So far, I'd have to say I much prefer the old series to the new one.

ETA: Second viewing, and I have to say I like it much, much better (probably because I was pausing every which way in order to get down all my points for this post. Ha). Also, I think the next episode will be awesome; the fast pacing will be great for the action, 'nuff said. Though . . . I thought Lior was in the middle of a desert?
Tombow
I barely managed to view the episode once and I need to view it again to catch more details. Right now, I'm happy to find out that they did not leave out Riza meets Winry part. ^^

-----------------------

QUOTE (fma_milan_freak @ Apr 12 2009, 12:26 PM) *
actually tombow...i didnt attack him at all....

@fma_milan_freak - Oh all right, maybe I misunderstood, and if so I apologize. ^^
Flamez_Freak
new lior looks brilliant...magnificent ...beautiful..and wat else....lol
edxwinryfan
This was a great episode happy.gif of course there were a lot of similar things that happened in this episode that happened in the 3rd episode (Mother) of the original anime. Also there was scenes that happened only in the manga (such as Winry meeting Riza for the first time). Overall this was a awesome episode,my favourite part was when Winry was yelling at Ed for changing "her" automail and then he said something like " That means that you can change the shape of my head then" tongue.gif
Goral
QUOTE (Kyelinn @ Apr 12 2009, 06:22 PM) *
They are most likely rushing these scenes because they've BEEN seen BEFORE in the FIRST anime. Geddit?

Wait, were there in previous anime:
1) The apperance of Truth?
2) Riza Hawkeye being with Roy when he meets the Elrics?
3) The State Alchemist test where Ed used Alchemy to summon a spear to attack King Bradley?

No, no and no. In all these cases they've skipped many dialogues and it was rushed even though in previous version there was nothing of the sort.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.