Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA: Brotherhood, Future Episodes Discussion Thread (for Content Up To Episode 62): Warning! Spoilers Abound!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Kirara
Although I could be completely off I am going to estimate that we will get to the manga material never animated in any shape or form (as in Vol 8 material) by episode 16 or 17.

I think they will get to the start of the Greed arc by the end of 13 (hence why he is in the opening.) And episode 14 and 15 should cover Vol. 7

I am a little conflicted how many episodes they will use to cover Rush Valley. Two seems too many but one seems to little. They can probably cover Izumi in 1 1/2 to 2 episodes. One episode for the Island/flashback and One episode for the present part with Izumi. Although maybe they will even combine this into 1 episode.

Anyways I think we will have the next batch of episode titles soon. They usually come out at the beginning of the month.
penguintruth
The next episode preview looks to have some scenes from the Ishbalan war flashback. It even seems like it'll have that scene where Roy looks up at the Fuhrer and the Fuhrer can see the ambition in his eyes. Just as long as they keep the Fuhrer's watermelon scene, I'll be fine with this (though I want them to do a whole FMA movie about the Ishbal massacre). Though, thinking about it, won't the watermelon scene seem awkward, since we've already seen the Fuhrer's true nature in the first episode when Isaac tried to kill him?

The sooner they get through that Rush Valley arc, the better. It was by far the worst part of the manga, and made me want to stop reading it altogether. As much as Winry development helps her character, to have it done in such a drawn-out, painfully boring manner makes my head hurt. One episode is enough for that Rush Valley crap. I liked that the baby delivered in the first series was Elicia Hughes, and it was helped by the brothers (and Nina!). In fact, that's what made both the Nina and Hughes death so much more tragic, the involvement of the brothers in their lives.

Maybe they'll skip over Rush Valley like Youswell. I doubt it, though.

kkg22104
Ahahaha, the melon scene. Yeah, the previous episodes did already show the suspicious side of Bradley, but the melon scene just shows how well he acts I guess.

Rush Valley is pretty important though. Winry helps deliver the baby, which is a huge deal for a fifteen-year-old girl. It kinda proves that she's good for other things besides automail and that she's pretty mature. Though I did like how they had Elysia born in FMA1, I always liked how Winry was the one who took action in the manga.

Oh, and the whole State Alchemist watch thing takes place in Rush Valley. Also, they first meet Ling and co there. So I doubt they're going to skip it.
Kirara
I love the Rush Valley arc. It has excellent character development for not just Winry but Ed & Al. Not only does Winry deliver a baby in that arc (which comes back during that Scar scene) after seeing Ed's watch she makes the conviction to get stronger herself and become an apprentice in Rush Valley.

As for Ed and Al's development they get to see a baby being delivered which ties into the whole cycle of life that Izumi teaches them. I don't really think it matters that is wasn't Elysia since I think the manga does a better job of exploring this cycle than the first anime. And again this ties into why we should not try to bring the dead back to life. There is also the scene where the little girl tries to get Izumi to bring back the kitten.

Finally in the Rush Valley arc we have Ed & Al unable to fix the bridge (or whatever it was that they were trying to fix) with alchemy. This shows that alchemy that Ed & Al rely on is not a super power and has its limitations.

The Ling thing happens later though when they return to Rush Valley.

However I think they can shorten the Rush Valley arc but not skip it entirely. They don't need to make the chase scene with Paninya quite as long.

In fact, that's what made both the Nina and Hughes death so much more tragic, the involvement of the brothers in their lives.

Well in the case of Hughes in the manga it had a bigger impact on Roy who along with Ed & Al is probably the next most important character in the story. Despite being more tragic in the anime I still prefer how the manga developed the Hughes death in how it defined the overall story. Hughes death was sad in the anime but after he died they never did much with it where it continued to be a large part of the story in the manga. And honestly I don't remember Hughes having that much more impact on the brother's life in the first anime series besides a few extra scenes (although I admit those additional scenes themselves were a nice touch).

I guess the difference for me is the impact of the event as it happens VS the impact of the event and how it shapes the overall story & development of the characters. Perhaps the first anime did a better job at the former but I would argue that the manga does a much better job at the latter.
Radadinator
What makes me sad is that no matter how good this episode'll be, if it doesn't make an anti-FMA2 fan cry, they'll probably bash it to no end. If it does make them cry, they'll probably criticize it as being over-emotional. It would be awesome if this episode was so amazing that even the nitpickers can enjoy it.

I doubt that'll happen though, considering that most fans already know what happen to Hughes, and the bashing ones immediately consider any episode to be inferior to the manga or FMA1. But I'm guessing the Hughes episode next week will have about the same--maybe more--emotional impact that the Nina one did.
ShadowCat17
I love the melon scene for so many reasons lol. First, the shocked-Maria/Denny panel. Then, the everyone-else-shocked panel, followed with the stupid melon, followed with bradley's intense half-kidding joke. "a storm just came through" haha I hope they keep everything as it was in the manga for that scene. Anyway if they have both this scene as well as the big hughes death...that would be like falling off am emotional cliff considering how funny the ep would have started out...
Sannom
Two seems too many but one seems to little.

Two episodes seem good far a three-chapter long arc. One is just too short in my opinion, especially with the action and emotion involved here. I can't wait to see Paninya humiliating Ed in a race across the rooftops of Rush Valey laugh.gif
Hagaren_4ever
I'm also looking forward to that! happy.gif Come to think of it, if you think of that as a "battle" she's the only girl he's fought besides Ran Fan. He really doesn't hold back against girls, does 'e? XD

I'm really looking forward to seeing the characters from Xing be animated. Not to mention all the other manga characters. I began writing them all out before I realized. Wow. There are a LOT of manga-only characters. 0.0
Since I'm an EdxWin fan, of course I'm looking forward to the Scar scene. (You know the one I mean.) But it makes me depressed to think of how far off that is. I wonder how long we have to wait before we see the Xingese folk. So let's see.... Ed goes to the teachers place, while they're there they have the fight with Greed, and then they go back to Rush Valley to get it fixed by Winry and that's when the Xing characters come in. Not too long when you think of it "events" wise. happy.gif
Sannom
He really doesn't hold back against girls, does 'e?

He didn't really know Ran Fan was a "she" before the very end of the fight though. As for Paninya... well, she is a tomboy, and she really got on his nerves laugh.gif
Hagaren_4ever
I noticed that Ed never hits Winry back, though. So, I guess he takes it a LITTLE easy on girls. huh.gif
ShadowCat17
And let's not forget the part with Maria Ross being accused of Hughes' murder, and Mustang taking action on it! That should be coming up relatively soon, right? That's one of my favorite moments in the manga
Kasumisty
Hmm. My predictions for future episodes' contents:

10. We all know, Ed drawing Homunculi, unexpected visit by Fuhrer, melons, walking through a window (lol), Winry getting an attack by the mention of Rush Valley, ....the whole scene with Hughes and the phone booth..., Elrics and Winry in a train - the famous scene with an apple pie, then Military funeral of a CERTAIN someone... And Roy standing by the CERTAIN someone's grave. And I think that's all. A lot of events. DO not cut anything, Bones!

11. Roy investingating the phone booth, an introduction to Rush Valley, the arm-wrestling competition, naked Ed, the lack of military watch, the whole chase with an angry dog , with angry shopkeeper, etc., hm, the scenes are all action, so they may add some of the another chapter, ending with the beginning of Satera's labour. (we would have a nice "cliffhanger")

12. The labour, Winry offering help, Dominic going to the village, Paninya scared of blood, the birth, Ed picking-a-back Winry, the revelation of the Ed's watch, maybe finally a FLASHBACK of burning house, Winry staying in Rush Valley and Elrics ride to Izumi. (Maybe after ending, scene with Shig ;f)

13. Meeting with Izumi, her kicking boy's butts, the talk about stones and Hoho, Ed getting an attack by hearing his name, the touchy subject, showing off alchemy skills, Izumi noticing Ed's technique, Ed freaking out, the children scared of Shig, the scene with fixing toy and with dead cat, Izumi's comprehension skills, and ending with asking the brothers to tell her all about their past.

14. Maybe the flashback, I'm dissapointed they covered some facts in episode 2. We need the whole "addiction" with alchemy, unsconscious Trisha, the funeral, Izumi coming to Risenbool, the apprentice thing, staying on the island and being attacked. I guess they may cover all island events, because it isn't that long. Ending with Izumi taking boys home.

15. Izumi beating the crap of the boys, lecture about circles and human transmutation, Elrics learning about it, coming home, eating like beasts, getting ready for the transmutation, the transmutation (how they're gonna repeat it anyway?), some details that haven't been presented in episode 2, Ed woofing (plz), and the end of the flashback. I hope they'll include Izumi hugging boys in that episode or another, otherwise I will cry.

EDIT:

The next [daily ;f] dose. From episode 16 to 20. I'm reminding, these are just my PREDICTIONS

16. Izumi abjures Ed and Al. They go to the station, Shig tells them about Izumi's past and reminds them that they always can visit them. They come back and are determined to stay and research. Roy plays chess with general Grunmann and learns that he and his companion is to be moved to Central. Meanwhile, Elrics come back from an library and encounter a beggar who claim that knows the truth about them two. Ed and Al battles him, but he runs away to the surpise of boys. The beggar (Oh, Bido was his name?) Goes to an bar when he tells his master/ordinate what he'd found out. The ordinate is revealed as Greed (D:)

I feel like I wrote an actuall summary...

17. Izumi on a check-up, then Ed who recollect about annual assesment and goes to the South Headquarters. Then Slums , where the bounty hunters (I think that how I could call them) wants to get Scar. A well-known mine owner from Yous Well is a traitor. Scar gets rid of the intruders, revealing his skills. Meanwhile Al tidy up the outside of the shop when he receives a message. Three people wants to talk with him, but he runs away, deceiving them. Nevertheless, he is caught and kidnapped. The kidnappers take them to their master, homunculus.

18. The kidnappers want Al to reveal all about soul bound. Ed, lost in the South Headquarters, meets Armstrong here who leads him to the Fuhrer. Ed passes easily and comes back to Dublith. Izumi wonders where Al is and after receiving the name of the place, decides to go herself. She meets homunculus named Greed and tries to threaten him, but ends hurting herself. Ed comes back to Dublith, spyed by Armstrong and Fuhrer. Upon learning that Al has been kidnapped and Izumi hurt, he goes to the pub called Devil's Nest.

Wow, I think I'm into too much detail, sorry XD
kkg22104
@ Kasumisty: Wow, those are some pretty detailed predictions. You remembered almost all the details from the manga laugh.gif Nice job.

IMO, I don't know if they're going to go that slow. So far you've gotten to Episode 18 and they've just met Greed. In the manga, this would've been Chapters 17-27, so about 10 chapters. They were doing 2 chapters per episode before, so it would've been 5 episodes, except they already covered 23 and 24 in Ep 2...so maybe only 4 episodes. Then again, the first half of the Rush Valley arc was Ed chasing Paninya, and when you change that into anime it doesn't take that much time. I think they might be able to fit Rush Valley into 1-1.5 episodes. Izumi and the flashback should fit in about 2 episodes...Though, I was hoping we'd get to Greed by Episode 13, because he does appear in the opening and openings usually last for 13 episodes.

Gah, I'm confusing myself XD Did all that even make sense?
Kasumisty
I have manga next to me xd

Yeah, I think they'll cover chapters more quickly than I predicted, ideally, I would want to see the episodes slow down a bit. (gradually, they're better and better from what I see, so there is a chance).

On a side note, I wonder if the opening will be changed after 13, or 26 episodes
kkg22104
Haha, that would explain it a bit. tongue.gif Otherwise you'd have to have super amazing memory laugh.gif

I agree, the episodes seemed rushed and a bit sloppy in the beginning and it's finally beginning to flow coherently together now without seeming awkward.

Well I still think it'll be after 13, because isn't that the usual "standard" or something? I don't think it would make sense to use it for 26 episodes because a lot of new characters would've been introduced by then and they should be included in the opening too. smile.gif
Full Metal Elf
QUOTE (ShadowCat17 @ Jun 2 2009, 03:10 PM) *
And let's not forget the part with Maria Ross being accused of Hughes' murder, and Mustang taking action on it! That should be coming up relatively soon, right? That's one of my favorite moments in the manga

Hmm...we still have to meet Barry the Chopper again. So it's after Greed is "killed" by Father. I think it's even after we meet Ling and Mei.

sad.gif So long a wait!
RoyxRizaFan
I know that they will not cut Rush Valley, as they should't, seeing how vital it is to character development (especially Winry's, this is the beginning of her seperation from her more immature, dependant anime counterpart from the original series) but I honestly hope that's condenced to one episode. It's definitely my least favorite storyline (which really isn't saying a lot since I love everything else, so this doesn't mean I dont like it, it means I don't like it AS MUCH)

I think they'll move a little faster than that as well, though I loved reading those summaries LMAO It seems like they'll be adding some Ishbal, but I'm sure it will only be the scenes with Roy and Hughes perhaps when they were talking about being in the army and (we know for sure from the preview) when Hughes points to Bradley and tells Roy he'll support him moving to the top.

Elemental/Alchemist
off topic of the upcoming events -- is it just me or is the art and color for this run through of the series getting better each episode?
Sannom
QUOTE ("RoyxRizaFan")
but I honestly hope that's condenced to one episode.

Reasons for the Rush Valey arc to be in two episodes :

--- it's three chapters long.
--- out of volume 1-7, it's in Rush Valey that the manga and first anime are the most different.
--- it's awesome, but that's personal judgement laugh.gif
Tombow
^ Hi Sannom, your posts are always interesting, and well-thought-out, and I love reading your posts. Could you make them even easier for us to follow, by including the source post info when you include quotes on your post? That would help us a lot when reading your posts.

You can do that by this way.. when you're making a reply post that includes quote from a post, go to that post from which you would like to take the quote from, then click on "REPLY at the bottom right part of that post. This will bring up the usual "reply post composing window" but with the quote of that post with all the quote source info already included in the composing window. Then, all you have to do is to trim out the un-needed part of the quote and keep only the needed part of that quote, then compose rest of your post as usual, then hit Add Reply at the bottom.

This way, the quote inside your post would automatically includes all the source post info for that quote, including a nifty small Red arrow like this <- which we can click and that would take us instantly to the location of quoted post.

Without this source post info, I (and other readers of your posts) often end up spending lots of time trying to locate which post the quote in your post is from... you know which post you took the quote from but we don't, and it will be all solved easily if you could kindly use quote with the source post info, and since your posts are very interesting and thoughtful and we often read them with great interests, and often interested in finding out where you took the quote from, so, if you don't mind, this would help out very much for us. Thanks!! biggrin.gif
Sannom
Argh, don't bother to explain to me how it works, I know how it works. Heck, I nearly don't even use the buttons anymore. Here, I was just lazy and I didn't think it was necessary to quote the person. Once, I even went to the extent of giving the name AND making a link to the actual post, but you get tired of it. Anyways, I added the author of the quote happy.gif

Oh, and thanks for the compliment wink.gif
Tombow
^ Thanks! And you're very welcome. ^^ Yeah, I think lots of people on our board enjoy reading your posts, including yours truly, and I often hear very good comments on your post, but that often follow by "but... " and mentioning the lack of quote source and how that's making it difficult for them to follow the "train of posts," so yeah, that would help greatly. happy.gif

=======

And, getting back to on-topic discussion.. ^^

Judging from the preview, we're going to see "Houghes and Roy in Ishibal war" scenes, and that's my fav panels in manga (as you all know, Houghes didn't go to Ishbal war in FMA-1) so yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing that being animated (or otherwise shown in this anime in some form.)
Kale Mustang
QUOTE (Tombow @ Jun 4 2009, 11:55 AM) *
Judging from the preview, we're going to see "Houghes and Roy in Ishibal war" scenes, and that's my fav panels in manga (as you all know, Houghes didn't go to Ishbal war in FMA-1) so yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing that being animated (or otherwise shown in this anime in some form.)

Loved those panels too in the manga. One of my favorites easily from those panels is when Bradley was looking down at the crow, only to see Roy looking past him with absolute defiance while Hughes is standing next to him followed by the panel of the two of them walking away from the celebration.
kkg22104
QUOTE (Kale Mustang @ Jun 4 2009, 04:24 PM) *
Loved those panels too in the manga. One of my favorites easily from those panels is when Bradley was looking down at the crow, only to see Roy looking past him with absolute defiance while Hughes is standing next to him followed by the panel of the two of them walking away from the celebration.

Ah, hearing you mention it makes me want to read it...Do you remember what chapter that's in?
Kale Mustang
QUOTE (kkg22104 @ Jun 4 2009, 06:10 PM) *
QUOTE (Kale Mustang @ Jun 4 2009, 04:24 PM) *

Ah, hearing you mention it makes me want to read it...Do you remember what chapter that's in?

Ch. 61, pg. 34 (for the exact shot)
kkg22104
Yay, thanks Kale! happy.gif

Even though that's in chapter 60, I guess they're going to include a few panels of it in the next episode...(tear)
Kirara
Although I hope they save some stuff with Hughes for the actual Ishbal flashback. I understand they want to establish the Roy/Hughes relationship more before Hughes well you know what. But I really enjoyed seeing Hughes again after all that time in Vol 15. So it would be a shame if we didn't have more Hughes to look forward to later on if they are going to do all the scenes now. Although I doubt they will because there isn't enough time in the episode. smile.gif

On another note I am really hoping they will incorporate "His Battlefield Once More" into this series. Of all the side stories it's the one that can transition into the story the easiest (besides the Elric Family side story which I am also really hoping to see animated)
Haineko
I forgot to mention how I liked that in the second episode of Brotherhood, Hughes says to Roy to be sure to come back to Central as a brigadier general, which Roy scoffs at. That sure was a clever setup for some bittersweet irony.

Yeah, I'm also excited to see some Ishbal material next episode and glad that the animators are emphasizing their relationship so much.

Elemental/Alchemist
QUOTE (Kirara @ Jun 4 2009, 09:36 PM) *
Although I hope they save some stuff with Hughes for the actual Ishbal flashback. I understand they want to establish the Roy/Hughes relationship more before Hughes well you know what. But I really enjoyed seeing Hughes again after all that time in Vol 15. So it would be a shame if we didn't have more Hughes to look forward to later on if they are going to do all the scenes now. Although I doubt they will because there isn't enough time in the episode. smile.gif

On another note I am really hoping they will incorporate "His Battlefield Once More" into this series. Of all the side stories it's the one that can transition into the story the easiest (besides the Elric Family side story which I am also really hoping to see animated)

i just hope they do Hughes/Roy justice.... a huge aspect of Roy's storyline is Hughes (yay flashbacks... if it weren't for them we wouldn't get to see Hughes do more knife fighting), and he deserves a grand episode, not just a couple shots and its over.. i know that's how the manga did it and it worked on the side to side panel leading to the phone, but anime is different, it's more engaging... so too should the episode be engaging and heartfelt
Claudius
QUOTE (Elemental/Alchemist @ Jun 5 2009, 01:33 AM) *
i just hope they do Hughes/Roy justice.... a huge aspect of Roy's storyline is Hughes (yay flashbacks... if it weren't for them we wouldn't get to see Hughes do more knife fighting),
Actually, I don't recall Hughes doing any fighting in the flashback, save for Riza's rescue.
Anyway, I got to say this: I loved the anime1 flashback in episode 25 (Hughes giving Roy the comfort he has rarely received). So I hope you are a little considerate in the future comparison (No 'the anime1 flashback sucked hard and made no sense' rants).
Also, expect an analysis about certain plot points concerning the next episode (though I don't think I'll watch all of it; I've had enough of seeing that scene).
Elemental/Alchemist
QUOTE (Claudius @ Jun 5 2009, 06:04 AM) *
QUOTE (Elemental/Alchemist @ Jun 5 2009, 01:33 AM) *
i just hope they do Hughes/Roy justice.... a huge aspect of Roy's storyline is Hughes (yay flashbacks... if it weren't for them we wouldn't get to see Hughes do more knife fighting),
Actually, I don't recall Hughes doing any fighting in the flashback, save for Riza's rescue.
Anyway, I got to say this: I loved the anime1 flashback in episode 25 (Hughes giving Roy the comfort he has rarely received). So I hope you are a little considerate in the future comparison (No 'the anime1 flashback sucked hard and made no sense' rants)
oh im fully aware that hughes was never drawn to use his knives in an actual fight scene... but animes have artistic freedom in that they can deviate from the storyline a bit to add flare or other scenes to the story...
so it's my hope they don't rush this episode and my hope that in future flashbacks and other scenes they have more depth to the history of Hughes & Roy's relationship (which impacts him, his relationship w/ riza and all around him)

OT: just for the heck of it, i'm not sure u need to use the {spoiler} block on this thread, after all, this is the thread for future episode talk amongst spoilers anyway
ShadowCat17
omgggg 2 days til........... noooooooooooooooooooooo
Kale Mustang
QUOTE (Elemental/Alchemist @ Jun 5 2009, 08:10 AM) *
oh im fully aware that hughes was never drawn to use his knives in an actual fight scene... but animes have artistic freedom in that they can deviate from the storyline a bit to add flare or other scenes to the story...
so it's my hope they don't rush this episode and my hope that in future flashbacks and other scenes they have more depth to the history of Hughes & Roy's relationship (which impacts him, his relationship w/ riza and all around him)

It's hard to say what Bones will do to illustrate just how important and big Hughes & Roy's friendship is, seeing as it's one of the main catalysts for Roy fighting to become Fuhrer (the other catalyst of course is Riza), but I think they realize that it's a major point in the manga.

Even in the first episode of Brotherhood, the scene where Hughes is telling Roy about how the Fuhrer is giving him (Roy) the credit for bringing down Isaac is kind of a nod to their friendship because Hughes knows that events will have a positive impact on Roy's ambitions.
Full Metal Elf
I also hope they give Hughes justice in the next episode. I think they will...them adding in a little of the Ishbal Flashback now I think is a sign that they want to get it across to the viewers how close those two are, and how much we should like Hughes. It seems in the next episode they're going to cover: flashback, death, funeral.

Then I assume Episode 11 and 12 will be Rush Valley. Episode 13 will start Izumi (or end of Episode 12).

At this rate...we should see Greed by Episode 15 and Ling by Episode 25? I need to look through the manga again and try to piece it together.

And...like someone else mentioned, I really do hope they show that side story with Roy and Hughes in Ishbal! (Whatever that story was called). It was so powerful...IMO
Kirara
I got the following from Anime Suki. These summaries come from Newtype

Ep11: Miracle in Rush Valley (Sounds from the summary that they're doing the entire Rush Valley arc in one episode, including the birth)

Ep12: One is all, All is one (They meet Izumi again, and it will feature the flashbacks when they first met Izumi, as well as the survival island)

Ep13: Beasts of Dublith (Roy is summoned to Central, Scar moves towards Central as well, Al encounters Greed and friends)

Ep14: Those who dwell underground (Ed vs Greed, Bradley vs Greed, the annihilation of Devil's Nest)

Source

So basically we should be getting to manga only material by episode 15. But it seems like at least episode 11 and 12 might feel a little rushed.
kkg22104
@ Kirara: Thanks for the info. So my prediction was right, we get to see Greed by episode 13! Yay! biggrin.gif I can't wait to see Ling in episode 15.

And yeah, I agree that 11 and 12 are going to be a little rushed, I just hope the art quality doesn't drop again.
Tombow
QUOTE (Kirara @ Jun 6 2009, 09:27 PM) *
I got the following from Anime Suki. These summaries come from Newtype

Ep11: Miracle in Rush Valley (Sounds from the summary that they're doing the entire Rush Valley arc in one episode, including the birth)

Ep12: One is all, All is one (They meet Izumi again, and it will feature the flashbacks when they first met Izumi, as well as the survival island)

Ep13: Beasts of Dublith (Roy is summoned to Central, Scar moves towards Central as well, Al encounters Greed and friends)

Ep14: Those who dwell underground (Ed vs Greed, Bradley vs Greed, the annihilation of Devil's Nest)

Source

So basically we should be getting to manga only material by episode 15. But it seems like at least episode 11 and 12 might feel a little rushed.

Thank you, Kirara!! biggrin.gif Judging from the source, this one seems reliable info. ^^
And, looks like we'll have more packed episodes ahead! ohmy.gif
penguintruth
All right! They'll be done with that awful time-wasting Rush Valley arc in one episode, and then on to the Izumi and Greed material! I wonder who the new voices of Izumi and Greed are. I hope they kept the old ones.
Michiyo-
My predictions were right. I thought that we'll get the new material by episode 15. Possibly there will be a new opening from that episode.
I hope ep. 11 and 12 won't be too rushed.
amestris_star
Boy, I can't wait for the Maria Ross incident and Lust vs. Roy to come.
And Ling and Ranfan and... Ok... *______*
Sannom
What the heck angry.gif ?!? Three chapters in one episode even when the arc in question is SO different from the first series??? Come on Bones, Winry, even Paninya, deserves more than that! Man, that was the ONE thing from the first anime that I hoped they would do better in the second series, and it look likes it will be the most rushed episode ever! That's a big disappointment for me.

Yeah, I'm afraid that the part in Rush Valey will be way too rushed. But at least the animation and art seem to be as good as in the last three episodes! And the chase is still there!
slc2
Ah I'm not a fan of the Rush Valley bit, not fond of Winry either, and glad it's getting forward to Izumi and Greed faster, but at least this episode should be funny?? It has rude jokes like Winry keeps making Ed strip so everyone can see his automail etc etc
Unless they cut all that :/
Full Metal Elf
O_O they will rush through it! My predictions were off a little, lol.

Ah well...as long as they SLOW down when they get to Manga only material. Half the viewers will be unfamiliar with it, and besides...it deserves justice.

I can't wait!! Bradley vs. Greed is going to kick major butt! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Radadinator
I could care less about Winry and the Rush Valley arc, so I'm pretty happy that they're skimming through it. As long as they do a good job with the significance of the watch.

I wish that they could do the Izumi parts in two episodes, though, with one entire episode for the island...looks as if Trisha will get about five more seconds screentime again. Hopefully they'll do the episode like they did in the first series, with Izumi beating up Ed and Al before hugging them (makes it a bit more emotional than in the manga), but I doubt that'll happen.

On the other hand...yes, Greed by Episode 13!

I guess they'll have Ling and Ran Fan in the second opening...I don't like the Xing characters much, but having them in an opening fight would be awesome.
Cece
Why is everyone so Anti-Rushvalley arc and Anti-Winry? The Rush Valley arc is actually pretty good. Ed and Al learn about the miracle of life you learn about the significance of Ed's watch and the Ed vs. Paninya fight is funny. So what is it? What makes you so negative?
penguintruth
I'm not anti-Winry so much, though I do find that on occasion, her so-called development as a character comes at the price of the movement of the plot. It's true that characters must be more than vehicles for the plot, but there's just something that rubs me the wrong way about Winry making so much traction in the pages of the manga when really anything she has to say is better left to implications. I appreciate how Winry is a strong female character, but sometimes it's like she's just being paraded around as an example of a strong character rather than actually being one, and it's actually not doing her any favors.

I liked that, in the first series, the miracle of birth was presented to the Elrics via their involvement with the delivery of Elicia Hughes. Not only did it serve the same purpose that the manga's version at Rush Valley did, but it made the brothers that much closer to Hughes. And, for that matter, Nina Tucker, who was also there. And the watch portion was well-used in the visit to Risembool, because it fit better with the mood of "returning to our home".

Yes, this meant that the Rush Valley episode in the first series was then downgraded to filler material, but it made the necessary points about Paninya and even gave Edward and Winry some moments of realizing the importance of the other and showed Winry that Edward does appreciate her work.

I'm "anti-Rush Valley" because in the manga, it just seemed like they spent too much time with it. It was tiresome after the first chapter of it, and then they had two more. And though the events have some significance, if it had been written a little tighter, it wouldn't have seemed so unnecessarily extended. I mean, by the time Chapter 19 started, I was looking at the later bits of volume 5 (Izumi, the flashback to Ed and Al's past) and wishing I was already there.

And, of course, the only really worthwhile Rush Valley character is Mr. Garfiel, and he doesn't appear until Ed and Al return to Rush Valley.
Kirara
I am sorry to say but I am not really sure how Winry's development ever stopped the plot. The Rush Valley arc doesn't just develop Winry but also Ed & Al, who not only witness the miracle of birth but also have their alchemy fail them at an opportune time (admittedly I am afraid the episode will remove this scene though).

So it's a quick side story. The first anime had ton of those and there is still important scenes in it: such as the watch, Winry deciding to become an apprentice in Rush Valley, and the miracle of birth.

Yes the watch and birth scene were done in the 1st anime. But again the birth scene in the first anime missed the point that alchemy cannot solve everything. The birth scene also shows Ed & Al the miracle of birth which ties into the cycle of life that Izumi was trying to teach them.

And the watch scene missed the point that Winry would also get stronger and not turn back like Ed and support him the way she knows how (although later on she learns she cares about all her customers). So while the first anime did indeed do these scenes in my opinion they missed the message that Arakawa was trying to convey with them.

Other than that I don't remember any other moments where Winry's development gets in the way of the main plot.
Sannom
Look at the post just above mine for an intelligent response. The subject is just too damn "sensible" to make me write something worthwile.

QUOTE ("penguintruth")
Yes, this meant that the Rush Valley episode in the first series was then downgraded to filler material, but it made the necessary points about Paninya and even gave Edward and Winry some moments of realizing the importance of the other and showed Winry that Edward does appreciate her work.

f*!@. Nah, really. The Rush Valey arc in the anime was a massacre. Winry was presented as even more arrogant and childish than she already was. Paninya, from a funny and looking-forward pickpocket is turned in some sort of cry-baby who absolutely wants to prove that the work of Dominique is the best around (and they add her an automail arm. Just for making her enter a freaking arm-wrestling competition). Dominique is some guy who refuses to work because the client is a jerk and they downgraded his work just to make Winry look "good". And DON'T get me started on the stupid development of Izumi actually chasing the brothers all the way here!

QUOTE ("penguintruth")
And, of course, the only really worthwhile Rush Valley character is Mr. Garfiel, and he doesn't appear until Ed and Al return to Rush Valley.

Paninya is worthwile. She is the closer thing Winry and the brothers have to a "normal" friend.
Cece
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Jun 7 2009, 06:17 PM) *
I liked that, in the first series, the miracle of birth was presented to the Elrics via their involvement with the delivery of Elicia Hughes. Not only did it serve the same purpose that the manga's version at Rush Valley did, but it made the brothers that much closer to Hughes. And, for that matter, Nina Tucker, who was also there. And the watch portion was well-used in the visit to Risembool, because it fit better with the mood of "returning to our home".

I'm "anti-Rush Valley" because in the manga, it just seemed like they spent too much time with it. It was tiresome after the first chapter of it, and then they had two more. And though the events have some significance, if it had been written a little tighter, it wouldn't have seemed so unnecessarily extended. I mean, by the time Chapter 19 started, I was looking at the later bits of volume 5 (Izumi, the flashback to Ed and Al's past) and wishing I was already there.

Well a girl Nina's age knowing about birth disturbs me personally. Paninya's one of my favorite character's and I like er getting more screen time and development. I like her better as the misguided young girl who does bad things with good intentions rather than some girl who lost a arm wrestling contest and made a fool out of Ed. Plus it was nice to see someone change people for the better other than Ed and Al. The watch portion is best left in the Rush Valley Arc because to me there was no character development and at least in the manga Winry resolved to get better for Ed. All he did was yell at her and she cried but Winry to me didn't grow as a character after the watch scene to me in the first anime.

To me the Rush Valley arc also showed Ed that alchemy isn't a cure-all and isn't always the solution. Plus Winry came off as an idiot in the last anime at least she was smart enough to know that her automail wasn't that strong. I mean even I, who is probably one of the most pro-Winry people in the fandom, got a little irritated seeing her cry and run off.

I still don't really understand your logic but that's your opinion.
penguintruth
QUOTE (Kirara @ Jun 7 2009, 06:28 PM) *
Ed & Al, who not only witness the miracle of birth but also have their alchemy fail them at an opportune time

Their alchemy couldn't do anything to stop Scar, either, or help Nina. Those were much better representations of their alchemy failing them at times, because it put into better perspective that alchemy isn't all-powerful, and can even be detrimental in the wrong hands.

Other than that I don't remember any other moments where Winry's development gets in the way of the main plot.

The Rush Valley arc itself is a major stoppage in the development of the brothers, making points that had up to then had already been made, and in better ways. And the first series did a better job doling out those bits in earlier parts of the story, making Winry develop throughout the story via her interactions with Sheska and discovery of her parents' murderer, without her constantly being paraded in front of the viewer as a hamfisted example of a strong female character.

And the miracle of birth and its place in the cycle was still in the first series, and they even mentioned it later when they talked to Izumi. That the childbirth happened right before the flashbacks about their lessons in the manga was a little too plot-convenient.

For me, Rush Valley was one of those things that had me flipping through to the later chapters of volume 5, convincing myself that purchasing it was worth it by looking forward to the Izumi material. I eventually grit my teeth and got through it, but I really found myself not caring about Paninya, Dominic, or his family, who have so far not had any role at all since then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.