Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA: Brotherhood Japanese Voice Cast Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2
Tombow
Please post your opinions and discussions on the Japanese voice casts of FMA : Brotherhood

Japanese Voice Casts for FMA: Brotherhood:

Edward Elric: Romi Park (same)
Alphonse Elric: Rie Kugimiya 釘宮 理恵 (same)
Trisha Elric: Yoshino Takamori 鷹森 淑乃 (same)

Winry Rockbell: Megumi Takamoto (New VA)
Pinako Rockbell: Miyoko Asou 麻生 美代子 (same)

Roy Mustang: Shinichiro Miki (New VA, Japanese James from Pokemon)
Riza Hawkeye: Fumiko Orikasa 折笠 富美子 (New VA, was Lybia in FMA-1 ep35)
Jean Havoc: Yuuji Ueda (New VA, previous anime's Kimbley)
Heimans Breda: Biichi Satou 佐藤 美一 (New VA)
Vato Falman: Kenji Hamada (New VA)

King Bradley: Hidekatsu Shibata 柴田 秀勝 (same)
Maes Hughes: Keiji Fujiwara 藤原 啓治 (same)
Alex Louis Armstrong: Kenji Utsumi 内海賢二
Maria Ross: Kaori Nazuka (New VA)
Denny Brosh: Yuuki Hayashi (New)

Lust: Kikuko Inoue (New VA)
Gluttony: Tetsu Shiratori (New VA, previous anime's Fuery)
Envy: Minami Takayama (New VA)

Slicer (Older one): Dai Matsumoto 松本 大 (New VA)
Barry the Chopper: Hideyuki Umezu 梅津 秀行 (New VA, Doctor in FMA-1 ep10)

Solf J. Kimblee: Hiroyuki Yoshino 吉野 裕行 (New VA, ? in FMA-1 ep10
Isaac: Kouichi Yamadera (New Character)

Scar: Kenta Miyake (New VA)
Yoki: Kazuki Yao 矢尾 一樹 (same)

Sheska: Chika Fujimura 藤村 知可 (New VA)

Paninya: Akemi Okamura 岡村 明美 (New VA)
Dorchet: Anri Katsu 勝 杏里 (New VA)

----------------------

Narrator: Iemasa Kayumi 家弓 家正

(The above info is compiled from FMA:B Official JP site, and from ANIME NEWSNETWORK, and from Kasumisty's post here with info that was originated by csakuras.)
Kasumisty
All right, lets evaluate them. From characters present in episode:

Roy Mustang: Shinichiro Miki (Japanese James from Pokemon)

Very good, I even didn't notice his voice has changed. A bit younger, but matches neverthless.

Riza Hawkeye: Fumiko Orikasa

Um, she didn't have many lines, but what I've heard was average. This voice is kinda too young and girly for her.

Alex Louis Armstrong: Kenji Utsumi (same as previous anime)

Great (even huge biggrin.gif) as always

Maes Hughes: Keiji Fujiwara (same as previous anime)

Great as always

King Bradley: Hidekatsu Shibata (same as previous anime)

...did he has any lines? Well, it's the same, so no big deal

Lust: Kikuko Inoue

Perfect, didn't notice the change, similliary to Roy's.

Kimbley: Hiroyuki Yoshino

Very good, I liked it very much biggrin.gif

Isaac: Kouichi Yamadera

s'OK. After all, he is dead ;f
amestris_star
I think I'm one of the few obsessed fanatics around that hasn't seen the first anime (or seen few things from it). So it's like everything's new for me wink.gif Especially the seiyuus. And being a Roy obsessed person, I must say that I liked the voice, suits him pretty much.
Alzea
QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Apr 5 2009, 10:35 AM) *
Riza Hawkeye: Fumiko Orikasa

Um, she didn't have many lines, but what I've heard was average. This voice is kinda too young and girly for her.
True. At least I think so after watching this cm of the new SGG between part A and B of the FMA, this part when she smiled and said something to Roy it was soooooooo OOC...
Popogeejo
Not much to say other than new Roy sounds fine and Armstrong remains awesome. Kenji is only behind Norio Wakamoto in my books for Beefiest Man voice award.
fullmoon
To be honest, i love the new voices especially Elicia's (such an adorable voice!).
Kimbley however...It will take a while for me to get used to as it was the only voice where i noticed a change (i'm so used to the previous Kimbley XD).
I'm really pleased. They all did such a good job ^w^
Also I'm looking forward to hearing Envy =D
Little Washu
I've yet so see it, but right now, I'm questioning Fumiko Orikasa as Riza. I know here as Miu from "Ichigo Mashimaro", and I know that's quite a young sounding voice.

Though, I only watched series one dubbed, so I really wont pick up on the changes. Except Roy. Hated his first voice, and from what I can hear, this one sounds much younger and fitting~
RolfKaese
What, Winry got a new VA? ...
Oh well, since the 1st episode was super awesome... looks like I have to become more active again :3
crazyanimefan
The VAs were very good. I could barely tell some were new to the series, like Roy's and Lust's. Riza's new VA I cant pass much judgement on until she gets more lines. Elysia is so effing cute.
FailToImpress
From what I've heard from Riza so far, she sounds too young and girly.
Not that she isn't relatively young, and of course girly but somehow it doesn't quite fit. I'll come back when I hear more.
amestris_star
Wrt Riza, she just said two phrases so can't really judge for now.
FailToImpress
Yeah, that's why I said 'from what I've heard'...
I notice I'm not the only one who thinks this though, so hmm.. we'll see. =)
Tombow
Watched it again, and this time paying more attention to VAs.
I thought Lust's voice seems to fit well.
Riza's voice was hard to judge with only a few lines, but in this episode I felt it came out a bit too pretty?? I like the VA (Fumiko Orikasa) as Lukia in Bleach, and I think she is a good VA, and I would love it if she does Riza with a bit more "toughness inside" (yet with a hint of vulnerablity... gahaha, I know I'm being difficult XDD) like she showed sometimes with Lukia, then I think that would make me happier. biggrin.gif

OT:
QUOTE (RolfKaese @ Apr 5 2009, 04:30 PM) *
What, Winry got a new VA? ...
Oh well, since the 1st episode was super awesome... looks like I have to become more active again :3

Welcome back, RolfKaese-san!! ^^
Sannom
I loathe Rukia from Bleach. But I love Shirley from Code Geass. I think it will be two characters voiced by that woman that I love laugh.gif
Kale Mustang
I really like Roy's new voice, as I always thought of him being more soft-spoken and he sounds more like his age though at times he almost seemed to sound younger than Ed.

Riza's voice, I can't really comment from hearing only two lines but I thought they were fine within context, as she seemed to be speaking mostly to herself about Roy's antics.

Kimbley's voice was interesting as you can hear the manic edge in his voice, but I can't wait to hear his voice when he uses his powers against everyone.

Everyone one else was great as usual.
Full Metal Elf
I had no problem with the new VA's. I had to get used to Roy's new voice (if I wasn't looking at the screen, all I heard was Urahara from Bleach XP). Otherwise, I have no complaints. If Ed and Al's voices were different...then depending on who would have replaced them I might have more to say.
Artixte
I'm really glad Ed and Al's voice had stayed the same. It was Roy that made me turn my head a little to the side but I got used to it after watching him for about two minutes. OH, but Elysia's voice was SO CUTE! I was rolling around on the floor smiling because her voice was so adorable, and it suited her so well!
AA battery
Roy's voice sounded fine to me until he screamed "PH33R MY FLAMES!" near the end of the episode... I totally went wt* at it. It sounded TOO SHOUNEN. That scream scared the **** outta me and now I really miss Roy's old voice thanks to that horrifying scream. orz I hope new Roy's voice gets better later.

Riza sounds a little too loli for now, but it's hard to judge since she only had like 2 or 3 lines?
fullmoon
QUOTE (AA battery @ Apr 7 2009, 05:08 PM) *
Roy's voice sounded fine to me until he screamed "PH33R MY FLAMES!" near the end of the episode... I totally went wt* at it. It sounded TOO SHOUNEN. That scream scared the **** outta me and now I really miss Roy's old voice thanks to that horrifying scream. orz I hope new Roy's voice gets better later.

I agree. That was the only line i didn't like for Roy.
As I see Roy as being very calm and collected and for him to yell like that...is unlike him.

I watched the episode again and I'm still not used to Kimbley's voice >_<
Kasumisty
But what is wrong in sounding shounen in shounen manga and screaming? I found it pretty amusing, it was for comic aspects

Btw, many people have avatar or signature from new series, especially with Ed XD I think it's pretty cute tho. I would have either, but something is terribly wrong with uploading anything.
Sannom
But what is wrong in sounding shounen in shounen manga and screaming? I found it pretty amusing, it was for comic aspects

Personally, I think that Mustang has his own pride and certainly dislike being humiliated like Isaac humiliated him in that episode by making him useless laugh.gif That's why he is so loud about how his alchemy shouldn't be underestimated later on wink.gif

But in fact I do dislike how "loud" they made Armstrong in that episode... he often screams so loud it sounds like a war cry, and for some reason it seems OOC to me huh.gif
His Name is Unknown
QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 7 2009, 08:57 AM) *
Personally, I think that Mustang has his own pride and certainly dislike being humiliated like Isaac humiliated him in that episode by making him useless laugh.gif That's why he is so loud about how his alchemy shouldn't be underestimated later on wink.gif

That's how I felt about the yell as well - I was actually laughing pretty hard at that part. The fact that Mustang was being humiliated by one of his former underlings was hilarious; their fire/ice rivalry, while it only had a couple scenes devoted to it, was great and I almost wish Isaac had stuck around a little while longer for that aspect alone.

Mustang's cold at the end was pretty legendary, as well.

Anyway, more on topic, I enjoyed all the voices, including Riza's. I guess it's a blessing that I never had any interest in Bleach, because I had no difficulty adapting to the VA changes. I enjoyed the old Roy, but as some have noted, this new voice sounded slightly more age appropriate. As for Riza being 'loli,' I didn't get that vibe at all. Her line was clearly an aside about her love/hate frustration with Roy, so it makes sense that it would be more feminine. I like Tombow's suggestion about 'toughness with a hint of femininity,' and I hope that's how her voice plays out in future episodes.

Kale Mustang
Just to echo several of the statements that Mustang's "Shonen Yell" was absolutely perfect for his character. Like Ed, who of course hates people picking on his height, Roy hates being underestimated for his power - especially when he gets wet and gets called useless - since his alchemy utilizes being able to split the molecules in the air to create his flame sparks.

Although Mustang comes off as a very cool, calm character, I think sometimes people forget that he's rather young for his military rank and because of his experience in the war, was forced to grow up too soon so he tends to hide most of his emotions. Of course we see moments when he loses his cool (usually in humorous situations), but for the most part we have a character that's probably juggling 2-3 different personas that he presents to the world so that he can keep people guessing on who Roy Mustang really is.

Hope this made sense.

PS - Loved the part at the end when Hughes was telling Roy how he should listen to his elders and Roy's expression was close to that of Edward's earlier in the episode. Roy's old enough to give advice to Ed & Al, but still young enough to dismiss the advice when it's given to him.
Anzu Mazaki
Needless to say I was a little disappointed with the changing of Kimblee's voice actor, although perhaps this will fit his manga role more? Its too early to say at this point. Otherwise the other's all seem ok. I loved Mustang's previous voice actor, however this new one doesn't hit me as being EXTREMELY different so we'll have to see.
crazyanimefan
I rewatched the episode again and found that I adore Kimblee's voice. It's so maniacal. And I still cant stop squeeing over the adorable Elysia. She's so cute!
spectator
QUOTE (fullmoon @ Apr 7 2009, 07:53 PM) *
QUOTE (AA battery @ Apr 7 2009, 05:08 PM) *

I agree. That was the only line i didn't like for Roy.
As I see Roy as being very calm and collected and for him to yell like that...is unlike him.

I feel kinda cute and hilarious for Roy to scream like that. It's totally acceptable to me. First impression about Riza's voice, seems find but more feminine than the voice in the first series. I feel like it's very hard to the Riza's new voice because everybody is 'fixed' with the first series's tone and sound. I read that many fans like her to be feminine thought, because many comments that Orikasa's voice for Rukia in Bleach is too deep and creepy sometimes. I just plead everyone to be reserve on judging on the VAs for the time being. Maybe we will find something interesting.
Sannom
I'm more used to the character of Shirley Fenette in Code Geass for Riza's VA, and this character is perhaps one of the most feminine one I've seen in an anime that focuses on action wink.gif
Hagane no Baka
QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Apr 7 2009, 08:59 AM) *
QUOTE (Sannom @ Apr 7 2009, 08:57 AM) *

That's how I felt about the yell as well - I was actually laughing pretty hard at that part. The fact that Mustang was being humiliated by one of his former underlings was hilarious; their fire/ice rivalry, while it only had a couple scenes devoted to it, was great and I almost wish Isaac had stuck around a little while longer for that aspect alone.

Mustang's cold at the end was pretty legendary, as well.

Agreed. I actually enjoyed that funny scene with Mustang more than Riza's comment of his uselessness. It was much more expressive.

Oh and yeah I don't have a problem with Roy having the same voice as Urahara Kisuke from Bleach. I love his new voice! <3

QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Apr 7 2009, 08:59 AM) *
Anyway, more on topic, I enjoyed all the voices, including Riza's. I guess it's a blessing that I never had any interest in Bleach, because I had no difficulty adapting to the VA changes. I enjoyed the old Roy, but as some have noted, this new voice sounded slightly more age appropriate. As for Riza being 'loli,' I didn't get that vibe at all. Her line was clearly an aside about her love/hate frustration with Roy, so it makes sense that it would be more feminine. I like Tombow's suggestion about 'toughness with a hint of femininity,' and I hope that's how her voice plays out in future episodes.

I'm also one of the few who actually liked Riza's voice. Everybody keeps saying that it's too soft and girly for her character but I don't think so at all. If I compare to other tough-like female characters in the series like Olivia and Izumi, she appears to me as the most feminine out of those three. Riza may appear as a strong, reliable and brave person but not only does she hide her soft side, she also possesses great elegance. At least that's how I've always seen her. Tell me, do you remember any scene where Riza would make a scary face and start screaming at someone like this or this Coz I don't remember any of such. And that's why I like Arakawa's women; they all may seem the same at first glance but also have entirely different, complex personalities tongue.gif
spectator
QUOTE (Hagane no Baka @ Apr 8 2009, 07:24 PM) *
Tell me, do you remember any scene where Riza would make a scary face and start screaming at someone like this or this Coz I don't remember any of such. .....

Just a thought of this - maybe Riza hasn't hit mid-30 yet. XD

Popogeejo
I like how you quoted that gigantic post above for a one sentence rely.
Next try deleting some stuff.
Rannika03
Glad Romi Paku does Ed's voice biggrin.gif
I checked out Shinichiro Miki (Mustang's voice) .I was like OMG. He is Urahara Kisuke from Bleach.
And as for Riza Hawkeye's VA -> Fumiko Orikasa. Kuchiki Rukia from Bleach.
Mercy_Alchemist94
I feel a bit out of place with this. The only voices I heard of the original Japanese series was the ones in the movie, and I don't know Japanese actors, I barely know any English ones!
However, basing on what little knowledge I have on this I say that the new voices (only one I really noticed) are really good. (But don't hold me to this, like I said, I don't know much about this.)

For the most part the quirts I found I noticed after reading comments in here . . . Like Armstrong screaming for the most part of the episode. As I was watching it seemed natural but looking back on it I can see it as a fault. Armstrong is more of a proud, sing-songy show off rather than an angry, screaming show off. However, I did a double take when I heard Riza's voice. It sounded too gentle for me. (I know Riza has gentle moments, but in that scene she seemed to be more frustrated or calm than anything else.) Also jumped a little when I heard Roy's voice, but I got over it nearly instantly.
Alzea
After second episode and hearing something more from Riza than only three lines I can say, I like her voice now^^ I think she doesn't sound too young/girlish or so. For me it's just right.
amestris_star
QUOTE (Alzea @ Apr 12 2009, 10:38 AM) *
After second episode and hearing something more from Riza than only three lines I can say, I like her voice now^^ I think she doesn't sound too young/girlish or so. For me it's just right.

Yup, same here. I like both Riza's and Roy's voice... I'm becoming more accustomed to them (actually I haven't seen the first series anyway soooo... and the eps I saw were in the english dub tongue.gif)
Trizo
When I first heard Roy's voice my first instinct was nooo how could you change him! However, after I got over the shock I decided I really... really liked it. I think it suited how I imagined his voice in my head, in a totally insane way.

Fuery as Gluttony.. ahha that makes me laugh.
kkg22104
QUOTE (AA battery @ Jun 9 2009, 04:16 PM) *
*still secretly hopes that Kugimiya Rie will dub Mei's voice*

That would be pretty funny laugh.gif Is there any news on Ling's and Mei's voice actors yet?

<This post was moved from FMA:B Sound tranck, Op/Ed discussion thread. ~ Tombow>
Demonic Rosebush
The whole casting of Greed made me think of something.

Greedling. Is Yuuichi NAKAMURA gonna voice Greedling as well, or is the Ling!VA gonna use a Greedish voice, or is he gonna voice both Greed AND Ling? (Which would make the Ling/Spirit!Greed conversation rather... interesting. XD) So yeah... what do you think would be the best thing to do?

But I still hope they will cast the guy who did the voice of Vash the Stampede for Ling. XD

(Sorry for the spoiler overload, I wasn't sure what to put behind the tags.)
penguintruth
I'm going to miss Junichi Suwabe as Greed. He was one of the strongest performances of the first FMA's cast, and brought a real jaunty, but smooth quality to Greed.

Yuuichi Nakamura was Graham Acre in Gundam 00, and it looks like they're just going to get anyone who's been in that show or Code Geass for this series. Still, I'll have to give him a chance.

I'm glad that Shoko Tsuda is returning as Izumi. She was really good in the first series, and I look foward to hearing her booming yells just as much in this one (though her role will be somewhat diminished). Sig's VA will be the same, too.

I'm also constantly surprised by the voices that returned for the new series. I could have sworn Shou Tucker sounded different this time around, but it was the same guy! Basque Grand, Pinako Rockbell, and Trisha Elric (though, she had one line), were also the same voice talent as they had in the first series. Gracia and Nina Hughes were both different, though.

Shinichiro Miki sounds more like Toru Okawa with every new episode. I'm really satisfied with his performance now.
Kirara
I quite honestly have had no trouble getting used to the new voices. My favorites from the original cast were Ed and Roy and we got one of them back and Miki is a fine replacement for Roy. As long as the performances are good that is all I care about. After all they are all interpretations nothing says a character has to sound a certain way.
Reta McClain
Overall the VAs are alright, the best actors (Paku Romi, Kugimiya Rie etc.) are in this series too so I'm not gonna start angsting anytime soon^^

About Roy: My only Urahara-vibes came in the first episode. I just kept giggling every time Roy was on-screen but since then the Urahara-ness has disappeared (or maybe I'm just ignoring it...).

Another character that makes me fall from my chair laughing is Envy (Takayama Minami). I just keep hearing Conan, who is, you know, a good guy, a smart-[All hail lord Xenu] and a (outwardly) little kid. I can't take Envy's character seriously in FMA:B; too much hyperventilating because of the seiyuu choice.
Kale Mustang
I'm enjoying all of voices, both new and old, as it's interesting to hear them perform a different take on an already familiar scene.

Regarding Romi and Rie, I think their performances in Brotherhood are much stronger than compared to first series (in which they were terrific already) as I can not only hear the emotion, but feel it as well.
kkg22104
@ Demonic Rosebush: Huh, that's a very interesting point. I never thought about that problem. I'm guessing Greedling will be voiced by Greed, since he's technically taken over Ling's body, so he should have control over everything.

Anyway, about all the other voices, I'm pretty satisfied. At the beginning Riza was a little girly, like most people mentioned, but after 10 episodes I'm getting used to it. I never had a problem with Mustang's new VA though. I'm so glad that Ed and Al have the same VA's smile.gif
penguintruth
QUOTE (Reta McClain @ Jun 10 2009, 05:19 PM) *
Another character that makes me fall from my chair laughing is Envy (Takayama Minami). I just keep hearing Conan, who is, you know, a good guy, a smart-[All hail lord Xenu] and a (outwardly) little kid. I can't take Envy's character seriously in FMA:B; too much hyperventilating because of the seiyuu choice.

You may be thinking Conan and laughing, but I'm thinking Dilandau and shivering.
Kirara
I honestly don't associate any of the voices with other roles because I've already seen most of them do several roles at this point. But when I heard Takayama Minami was doing Envy I thought she would be perfect because of her role as Dilandau and she's been excellent so far.

Actually Miki was in Escaflowne too since he played Allen. Maybe they can get Maaya Sakamoto & Tomokazu Seki and have an Escaflowne reuinion. laugh.gif
penguintruth
QUOTE (Kirara @ Jun 10 2009, 06:12 PM) *
Actually Miki was in Escaflowne too since he played Allen. Maybe they can get Maaya Sakamoto & Tomokazu Seki and have an Escaflowne reuinion. laugh.gif

When they get to Roy vs Envy, it'll be Allen vs Dilandau again!
Forsaken Love
I really love Envy's voice, I heard it and for me it was perfect! I told my friend that and she agreed 100% when she came over to watch. She didn't like Gluttoney's voice, I'm not to keen on it either but I can't really think why, it doesn't bother me to much though. I love Lust's voice. I think Romi Paku has made Ed sound more grown up this seires, compare it to the begining of the first anime, I think his voice sounds a lot deeper, well anyway I love Ed and Al's voices they're great, and I like the more adulty tone to Ed's (if im not imagining things) happy.gif Riza I thought was a bit 'generic high pitched female voice' but im getting used to it, I think the same of winry too which is a bit grrr but her character is coming over much better than in anime 1 so i dont care much. I can't wait to hear what Ling sounds like
Hagaren_4ever
I can't wait to hear Lings voice either. I wonder if they're going to keep the Chinese accent... I wonder what a Chinese accent SOUNDS like in Japanese.... :/
Tombow
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ Jun 18 2009, 04:53 PM) *
I can't wait to hear Lings voice either. I wonder if they're going to keep the Chinese accent... I wonder what a Chinese accent SOUNDS like in Japanese.... :/

@Hagaren_4ever - In manga chapters, characters from Xing use certain way of syntax, or with certain extra phonetic note at the end of their sentences. And, I'm guessing that's probably how they speak, rather than with different accent. smile.gif
I'm also looking forward to find out how Lin will sound in anime. biggrin.gif
penguintruth
I'm more interested in hearing what Father, Hohenheim, and Olivia Armstrong will sound like.

I wonder if Father and Hohenheim will have the same VA. I hope Masashi Ebara returns as Hohenheim.
Forsaken Love
QUOTE (penguintruth @ Jun 18 2009, 10:54 PM) *
I'm more interested in hearing what Father, Hohenheim, and Olivia Armstrong will sound like.

I wonder if Father and Hohenheim will have the same VA. I hope Masashi Ebara returns as Hohenheim.

Thats an interesting point, I imagined them to have different voices when I read, I think they should be different (allthough similar) because they are seperate characters, in the same way I personally think that Greed and Ling should have different voices. I dunno I imagined Father to have a harsher, perhaps deeper more old guy voice than Honenhime
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.