Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do Your Friends/family Know About Fma?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2
Speedy Alchemist
Do Your Friends and Family know about FMA?
And if so, what was their reaction to it? and what do they think of it?
edxwinryfan
Well my brother actually introduced me to Fma,so he likes it biggrin.gif My mom thinks its stupid tongue.gif and no one else in my family really knows about it. One of my old friends is borrowing my DVD'S of fma and she likes it smile.gif
Forgiven
Somewhat.
Mercy_Alchemist94
Yeah, my family and friends know about it.
At the moment my parents really couldn't care less what was FMA. (However, I was watching the movie a few weeks ago and my dad came in about when Wrath was fighting Gluttony and said something along the lines of "No wonder you have nightmares" even though it had been a month since I had had one. And strangely my mom walked in when Wrath started spewing the Red Stone liquid from his mouth and when Gluttony started biting down on him and said absolutely nothing. She's the one more likely to shake her finger at me for what I watch. It was odd. 0-0; ) My friend knows about it, and has seen the entire series and now we can start on the new FMA series together and not worry too much about spoiling it to each other!

Though about a year and a half ago my mom would've banned me from the TV had she seen me watching it and my FMA-fan-rants would go over all of my friends' heads. =_=
DN-Moonflower-FMA
A friend of mine told me about FMA but my family doesn't know about it, if my parents saw me watching it they would ban me from the internet ><.
fullmoon
My parents know about it (through seeing FMA posters up in my room and me watching FMA on the plasma tv XD) but they don't watch it with me.
My sister watched a little bit and said "it looks boring", she honestly should watch a bit more *shakes head*. I have tried to get her into it XD We share a computer so when we switch turns, i leave the tabs in Firefox with FMA stuff there XD Like a manga page or a trailer for the new series of FMA (Plus my wallpaper XD). I don't know if she actually sees it though X_X. Oh and when i was reading the manga in the plane she goes "what manga are you reading?". I show her the cover and she goes "Oh, the boring one". XD
Most of my friends aren't really into anime as much as i am...but i have three friends who like FMA as well. They are all excited about the new series. happy.gif

QUOTE (DN-Moonflower-FMA @ Apr 4 2009, 11:01 PM) *
my family doesn't know about it, if my parents saw me watching it they would ban me from the internet ><.

Moonflower-san, wow...that's extreme...why would your parents ban you? sad.gif
DN-Moonflower-FMA
QUOTE (fullmoon @ Apr 4 2009, 02:34 PM) *
My parents know about it (through seeing FMA posters up in my room and me watching FMA on the plasma tv XD) but they don't watch it with me.
My sister watched a little bit and said "it looks boring", she honestly should watch a bit more *shakes head*. I have tried to get her into it XD We share a computer so when we switch turns, i leave the tabs in Firefox with FMA stuff there XD Like a manga page or a trailer for the new series of FMA (Plus my wallpaper XD). I don't know if she actually sees it though X_X. Oh and when i was reading the manga in the plane she goes "what manga are you reading?". I show her the cover and she goes "Oh, the boring one". XD
Most of my friends aren't really into anime as much as i am...but i have three friends who like FMA as well. They are all excited about the new series. happy.gif

QUOTE (DN-Moonflower-FMA @ Apr 4 2009, 11:01 PM) *
my family doesn't know about it, if my parents saw me watching it they would ban me from the internet ><.

Moonflower-san, wow...that's extreme...why would your parents ban you? sad.gif

Because I spend most of my time on the internet and they have weird ideas about anime.
FMA Obsessed
My parents know that I watch it and my mom doesn't mind it. Actually, she watches it with me. She likes it.
AzhiDevn
My friends from school have no idea.
My parents have seen me watching anime, but I'm sure they have no idea how they're called.

Now that I'm in college, I have friends that like anime too, and that's f****** great, 'cuz back on school my classmates were not interested and I got bored of them with their own talking themes.. sleep.gif
lunneth
yeah my friends know about it. one of them hated the idea at first. then he watched the english dub of episode 3 and loved it. he stopped watching after that though. my other friend groans at the sheer mention of the second series...meh he might enjoy the new series so long as he gets to see kimbleys neck ripped open. well my parents don't really know about it but i was scarred that when i had started watching the episodes that they would scold mr for watching them. however my dad saw wrath die in the film and didn't say anything.
Alzea
My parents know about it, my dad even sometimes watch it with me and he is a fan of Death Note x] My mom thinks it's stupid and childish but she doesn't mind 'till I'm getting good grades xD My school friends know, some of them (plus my english teacher) started watching anime and read because of me and my FMA rants, others don't really care.
cheruu
I don't have any friends who read FMA, sadly. Actually, I don't really have any friends who know anything about anime at all. It sucks! ;_;

My parents know about FMA, but they don't really know much about it besides the fact that I like it. Sometimes when I'm at the bookstore with them and I'm buying the latest volume of the manga, they'll want to see what it's about and open it up to a curious page... only to see Scar blowing some guy's brains out. Of all the pages they could have opened to, it had to be THAT... >_<; No wonder they think it's evil. D:
fullmoon
QUOTE (Mercy_Alchemist94 @ Apr 4 2009, 07:12 PM) *
Yeah, my family and friends know about it.
At the moment my parents really couldn't care less what was FMA. (However, I was watching the movie a few weeks ago and my dad came in about when Wrath was fighting Gluttony and said something along the lines of "No wonder you have nightmares" even though it had been a month since I had had one. And strangely my mom walked in when Wrath started spewing the Red Stone liquid from his mouth and when Gluttony started biting down on him and said absolutely nothing. She's the one more likely to shake her finger at me for what I watch. It was odd. 0-0; ) My friend knows about it, and has seen the entire series and now we can start on the new FMA series together and not worry too much about spoiling it to each other!

Though about a year and a half ago my mom would've banned me from the TV had she seen me watching it and my FMA-fan-rants would go over all of my friends' heads. =_=

Talk about bad timing >_< It's funny how family and friends never pop in to watch at the right time...It always happens when i watch FMA. Then my family just thinks I'm a bit weird XD.

QUOTE (cheruu @ Apr 10 2009, 02:27 AM) *
they'll want to see what it's about and open it up to a curious page... only to see Scar blowing some guy's brains out. Of all the pages they could have opened to, it had to be THAT... >_<; No wonder they think it's evil. D:

Oh gosh, yes. Why...does it always happen!? Then they start having all these strange thoughts about it >_< *shakes head*.
QUOTE (cheruu @ Apr 10 2009, 02:27 AM) *
I don't have any friends who read FMA, sadly. Actually, I don't really have any friends who know anything about anime at all. It sucks! ;_;

Aww...that does suck. How about trying to ease them into it. Let them know you like it and introduce FMA to them =D. It's worth a shot.
DistantBlue
Yeah, my family knows. My mom doesn't care; if I like it, she'll consider it a book, and buy it for me (she says books are educational and good for me...I read a million books a year already, its not like I never read, LAWL). My dad doesn't care. My brother saw the anime but he refuses to read the manga, LAWL. He's waiting until the new anime is over until he watches it because I told him if he watched the new anime i wouldn't force him to read the manga. XD
Prince the Ripper
Well seeing as 90% of my friends tend to be anime fans, most of them do know about FMA and love it.

My mom likes it, although she's only watched bits and pieces of it.

So...pretty much: yeah, my friends know and my mom knows of it and both like it.
SneakyRuler
My family knows very much as I rant about it all the time. I managed to hook my sister to watch it with me but my mother hates hearing Ed scream which is very often. Actually, she went by when I watched episode 25 right when Hughes cut Maria Ross/Envy's throat and the bood was flooding out. She was like "Yeah, it's so nice" (imagine my horrror at the time, I was scared something bad would happen very soon) while I was whining "It's not enough, not enough!"

So better not talk about FMA very aloud at home...

Omamori
Yeah, they do...and they have no idea why I love it so much ^^;
Tsugumi
Hm, they do. My friends like it too, some more then me. 8)
And my family knows too. My dad thinks "it is not real, so its stupid" and mom watches sometimes. lol
Envy II
My friends know about it... and some of them even watch/read it.

My family? No, not that I know of anyways.
Jolly Good
Yeah, my friends know about it. First heard about it from them around a year or so ago.

As for my family.... uh no, not really. My mom usually jumps to conclusions about anime and stuff like that, so I have to kinda keep it on the down low. wink.gif
RAWR~F.M.A-fan~RAWR
lol... not all of them... my friends are getting crazy because i constantly talka about fma... everything does remember me of it... and my mom and dad... i only told the stuff about searching for the phelosophers stone... if i would tell more, my mom would go crazy xD i better keep that for myself.... and my brother? my brother doesn't like anime and manga, but because i made him read the first fma manga, a few funny parts of it, now he can't stop reading xD yay... he's jalous of my fma necklace xD lol... IT'S MINE

hehe sorry 'bout my long story... i just wabted to tell xD nobody really readed this stuff, i think,.... and if they did, I LOVE YOU!! >.< xD lol

bya bya biggrin.gif wheelchair.gif rockon.gif bag.gif skull.gif dirol.gif kicking.gif dance3.gif lol... those smilys are awesome xD sorry

QUOTE (DN-Moonflower-FMA @ Apr 4 2009, 02:01 PM) *
A friend of mine told me about FMA but my family doesn't know about it, if my parents saw me watching it they would ban me from the internet ><.

lol... same with mine xD i didn't tell them much.... only about them searching the phelosophers stone... better not tell them about Scar and stuff xD
HannahBlack09
My family does know I watch anime, specially my older brother, my cousins, uncles and aunts do not know.. but they have they kinda know I like anime. wink.gif

All my friends know that I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEE FMA wub.gif .. I am actually really happy because most of my friends have watched a lot of anime, more than I can imagine and they are the ones that usually recommend me the series but I decided to watch FMA without anyone telling me anything and it resulted to be the greatest anime EVER!!!
Aribelle
Some of my friends (the ones that also like anime/manga) know that I love it. But then I have many friends who have no idea what anime is beyond Sailor Moon lol, so I don't really talk about it with them because there is nothing to talk about besides me chattering on about something they have never heard of before, and I don't want to subject them to that laugh.gif
Popogeejo
My mom will beat me if I watch anime :(
She will beat me if I dont but she will beat me moar if I do.
luluseason
My friends have heard me go on about it.
but i dont think they watched it yet.
My Parents have given up on keeping up with what animes i like, since i watch so much. so they don't know
My brothers the only one so far, who knows about it in my family, since he watched it before me
kkg22104
I have a couple anime/manga obsessed friends who all know about FMA, though I'm the one who's the most obsessed laugh.gif My parents know that I really like it, but they don't really care as long as I don't spend too much time (and money) on it. tongue.gif
FMAobsessed
I have friends that are obsessed with anime. So most of them know about FMA and like it. But I think that I am probably the most obsessed with FMA.

My parents know about anime but they don't know what animes I watch. So they don't really care.
Forsaken Love
only because i talk about it at some point in 9/10 conversations XD i actually got my mum to read some and she sais she quite likes it (which is amazing because she doesnt like the manga artstyle, allthough she seems to have grown a shy liking due to my obssesion) as for everyone else they know of its existance or 'my obssesion' and end up buying fma related presents for my birthday and xmas because i always request them XD my best friend likes anime a lot, i introduced her to fma and loves it same as me (but maybe not so obssesivly XD)
SanshoElric
Out of all my friends and family only my sister and uncle know what FMA is. My uncle and I talk about it sometimes, and my sister watching it is very rare. When I try talking about it with my friends theyrefer to it as "that cartoon with the blond guy". So then I just stopped talking about it.
angelstar2408
Well...my friends know about it since me and my friends bond by making fics and discussing otaku stuff.... biggrin.gif

But as for my family, no. They keep on telling me "You're 13 years old and you still watch cartoons?" "Grow up!" "What a waste!" "Foolish pastime!" dry.gif

Then I tell them that it's anime not cartoons, that it's not just a hobby but it's more of a passion and that it's not just for kids but also for adults.

It's just so sad that my family doesn't support FMA and anime as a whole.... They're so cruel sad.gif
amestris_star
Family - Yes, and they think I'm a crazy 25 year old, but they don't bother much (other than when I start screaming out for all the house when something happens in a new FMA chapter, I tend to do those things... for example, when the new anime was announced, when there are Royai scenes in the manga... I still remember when Roy and Riza showed up in the manga after a 10-month/chapter drought... I screamed so much that mum gave me a scared look LOL)

Friends - Yes they know and I think they appreciate the fact that I have different hobbies/likes/tastes/whathaveyou from the average 25-year olds... and I'm managing to get some of my friends into FMA too XDDDDDD
sidekick.kep37
Not just my parents, but practically everyone I know (and more... the majority of my jr. high new me as the FMA kid). My dad thinks I'm weird and that I should grow up from it- he thinks anime is just a kid thing. dry.gif My mom on the other hand doesn't mind, although from both of them they think it's a problem when it comes to crazy spending on ebay and stuff.

As for my friends and other curious people, they just think I'm a walking FMA wiki. I must sound like a complete nerd now.
kimonodragon88
My family knows I like it, basically b/c I started watching it and buying the manga and other merchandise. I've gotten a couple of my friends into FMA and other animes as well. smile.gif My other friends know I like it but no absolutely nothing about it.
That One Dude
My family knows nothing of FMA, let alone anime, unless of course, my parents get going on about Mazinger Z or Candy. They just ramble on and on about them whenever I ask (especially about how Aphrodite always shot out her breasts as a sort of, 'final move').

On the other hand, most of my friends know about FMA, and they rather like the series (though most of them, like myself, haven't actually read the manga. =A=; ).
Forsaken Love
ooooo noooo you must read you must read! XD seriously its very good! happy.gif

lulz people just think im weird, my mum knows i obssess and even though she didnt really get it at first, kinda encourages my obssession sometimes XD she does that every time i get a new obssession once she gets used to it, she makes an effort XD she even points out stuff in shops for me and makes an effort to get related presents happy.gif allthough thats kinda hard for fma since the UK isn't very anime friendly XD other people in my house know nothing but must be aware i like it due to the massive wall hangings in my room and my comp desktops and stuff XD as for other people, id say everyone who knows me knows i like anime, closer friends will know of fma and like one or maybe two friends i know in person actually read it XD
cherry-chan. :D
I actually heard about FMA from my friends. I was actually surprised that quite a number of my school mates know and like FMA. XD So yeah. As for my family... well, my mom saw me watching FMA: Brotherhood once. Haha. Although the only thing she watched with me were J-dramas. Haha!

Hmm. I can't remember if my uncle knows about FMA. I know he reads manga and watches anime, but I can't remember if FMA was one of them. HAHA. It's been quite some time since we visited him in Singapore, so... haha. XD
Full-Fledged Alchemist
My friend Megan breifly told me about it in 6th grade and I was like meh, but when I found out that Vic Mignogna was in it, I decided to give it a shot. I am so glad I did, it's epic! And yes, like most of the anime I watch, my mom loves it!!! She thinks Roy is sexier than Ed, but she also thinks Vic is sexier than Travis, so she refuses to be on either of the teams, lol. My dad hates all things Japanese, and whenever I mention it, we get into a heated arguement over Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima...but anywho! I got my sister a bit into Inuyasha, but she hasn't been home a lot, considering she's 23, so I haven't gotten a chance to show her the epicness of FMA.
Mhacy
My friends know about this anime but actually im the one who discovered it and share it with them. I first saw this anime when I was still a elementary student maybe year 2004. It was aired here with our language dubbation (tagalog). i found out that this anime is full of awesomeness and i want more of it when it was ended. In school, my friends and I start discussing each of the episodes and FMA is one of the factor why we hooked on anime.

my family knows it too but the like drama, real people shows than anime. they even call me a teenager with a child mind. sleep.gif
f1madman
No they do not, my family aren't into this kind of stuff and neither are my friends sad.gif That's why I'm here smile.gif
Cold-Blooded-Alchemist
I found it myself and intorduced it to several of my anime nut friends, but only one other than me is obsessed xD
Levive
Well, yeah, they all know. My whole shelf is dedicated to manga and 3/4 of it is FMA. My older sister considers this stupid and calls it "stories for children" (yep, FMA is definitely one dry.gif ) but still, if there's no new volume at the nearest bookstore, she buys me one. My mom often gets my manga from postman since I prefer ordering volumes via Internet and I'm almost never at home. And there's a lot of my fanarts around my desk and room so I think she recognises it. My dad... well, he doesn't really care, but our Polish AXN Sci-Fi airs the first series late at night (around 3am) so I record it and watch later. My dad often sleeps on the sofa when I do that but I'm sure he's eavesdropping it, since it's dubbed laugh.gif .
My friends also know about my obsession with FMA. I read it now and then during breaks at school. They have nothing against it, some of them heard about it, so it's okay.
Thalogens
My parents are aware of my love for manga/anime, but not necassarily FMA. They see them all as just one big haze. My sisters think its just a phase I'm going through... for the past year and a half. But the one sister that is still living at home knows most of the character's names and vaguely whats going on. My friends, on the other hand, know about everything from me comming to the each month and screaming at them what happened in the most recent chapter. But sadly, I've only been able to convince one person to convert to FMA, and even then, she's only on vol 7 and is working through it a tortoise speed. I managed to hook someone else on Death Note (I have no idea how I managed that)... but all the rest still think anime is childish and just Japanese cartoons :c
Katya Martin
Family- Well, they know it exists, because I carried around a FMA messenger bag that my friend gave me for two years (I had to retire it after that because the amount of homework I got was wearing it out T_T) and I used to have a few volumes on my bookshelf. My mom knows the basic premise of the series because she wanted to make sure I wasn't being corrupted or anything; lately her attitude that all anime and manga is perverted, misogynistic corruption has increased (which is ridiculous when you look at Fullmetal lol), which kind of puts a damper on things (i.e. she's forbidden me from bringing anime/manga into the house). My sister knows a little because I've recounted a little of Ed's silliness (mainly shortness) to her. That's about it. Oh, and a few of my cousins are fans.

Friends- Some of them got me hooked on it. I have since gotten some hooked on it. Others are interested but not hooked, i.e. they just ask me for spoilers instead of reading it themself tongue.gif The ones who aren't really interested just regard it as an amusing obsession of mine.
evel
Some of them. For example, me, my brother and sister used to watch it sometimes years ago (but I doubt that neither one of them remembers anything from it anymore). My friends haven't watched it, but once when I mentioned it my one friend was like 'eeeeeh?', so I guess she doesn't like/understand it.
KwiatekAlchemist
Family - My mom actually likes Fullmetal Alchemist, she watched it with me. xDD she also thinks that Ed is sexy.
Although my dad and my sister think it's dumb.. they really don't know what they're missing. .__.

Friends - Yes, a lot of them know about it, and they're fans of fma themselves.
We talk about it a lot through facebook and school.
Broken Chouchou
My mom knows about FMA, I think. She knows that I collect the manga, she's even bought a volume of it for me. But I don't think she really distinguishes it from other manga. She only knows it by the cover. Manga is manga, for her.

My sister knows what it is, she refers to it as "that show with the robot and the little guy".

Friends... umm... well, there was this guy in my class once who sorta read it online... we weren't really friends though...
kazare
My family doesn't even know (Yeah I am good at keeping secrets tongue.gif tongue.gif ) But my friends too go loco with FMA
EniviD EiraM
at home, I usually talk to my younger brother about it then during supper, I just end up talking about the forum and other FMA stuff ......

mom even gave me a compilation of the complete FMA series ... smile.gif

we're really open to one another at home tongue.gif
Cold-Blooded-Alchemist
A lot of my friends know about FMA but they're WAY more into other anime out there. So, it's just like 1 or 2 other people with me that are totally in love with it. Meh it's better than them making jokes about me liking it ^^;

My family, well my dad and borther don't really care what anime it is, they just know I really enjoy it and they're fine with that. My mom really knows and supports it xD even though she has no idea what goes on in it hahaha
She'll let me get tons of FMA stuff though ^^ thankfully I have a really understanding family and group of friends
Envy's Lady
Well they all know that it exists since they see me getting dressed up as Envy to go to cons and I told them what it is.

The only other one who follows it though is my sister. And of course friends I met at cons who also cosplay FMA characters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.