Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hetalia: Axis Powers/hetalia: World Series
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Little Washu
Have you ever wondered what world history would be like if the countries could walk and talk? Well now you can see (loosely). Hetalia: Axis Powers tells the story of Italy, a man obsessed with pasta, pizza, pretty girls and whine. He's weak, he's needy, and oh so adorable.

All the countries are portrayed as stereotypical versions of the people who reside in them. Though, some countries have yet to appear(if at all, i.e. Mexico)

Hetalia: Axis Powers (ヘタリア Axis Powers ?) is a manga and anime series by Hidekaz Himaruya placed in a World War-era setting in which the countries are represented by anthropomorphic characters. Hetalia (ヘタリア ?) is a made-up word combining hetare (へタレ ?) — Japanese for useless — and Italia (イタリア ?). This is to make light of Italy's apparent cowardice during World War II.

Himaruya originally created Hetalia as an online webcomic, and so far two tankōbon have been published by Gentosha Comics, the first on March 28, 2008 and the second on December 10, 2008. The series was later adapted into drama CDs, and an anime series created by Studio Deen has also began streaming online.

The main historical events portrayed in this work occurs between World War I and World War II. The series often uses satire and comedy to address well-known and lesser-known historical facts.

Each episode of the anime is 5 minutes long (too short >.<), and the last minute or so is usually accompanied by "Chibitalia" which tells the story of the countries when they were younger, such as how Italy was bullied by the Holy Roman Empire and Austria.

Each country also has a name(America = Alfred, UK = Arthur, ect.), but it's much easier to refer to them as simply Italy, Germany, Japan, ect.

Countries/Characters:

Axis Powers

Northern Italy (Veneziano) (イタリア ,Italia?) Voiced by: Daisuke Namikawa (JP), Todd Haberkorn (US)
A bright and energetic nation that progressed from being the kin of The Roman Empire, widely recognized as the strongest nation in the world, to being clumsy and irresponsible. Personified as being carefree, cowardly and lackadaisical (noted by his collection of white flags he uses to surrender), he often depends on Germany to resolve issues. Nods to Italian culture include his artistry and recurrent portrayal of pasta and pizza. He has an older brother who represents southern Italy and who is commonly known as Italy Romano.

Germany (ドイツ ,Doitsu?) Voiced by: Hiroki Yasumoto (JP), Patrick Seitz (US)
Germany is a hard worker as a drill instructor, and a lover of rules. He sticks to them rigidly and trains his troops to do the same. Despite this, he has formed a close relationship with the carefree Northern Italy. He notes at one point that he has a crazy boss.

Japan (日本 ,Nihon?) Voiced by: Hiroki Takahashi (JP), Christopher Benkins (US)
Japan is hard-working, serious, skilled with his hands, and needs time to adjust to other people. He is inexperienced in the outside world, but does his best to learn all he can. Generally quiet, he sometimes seems to have the attitude of an old man.

Allied Forces

America (アメリカ ,Amerika?) Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (JP), Eric Vale (US)
(You may recognize him from my avatar and signature) Raised by England and having fought for his independence, America became a country of pioneers. He is an energetic country who loves sticking his nose into other people's business. He sees everything in a positive light, is quick to take action, and he always has his own idea of doing things. He also has immense physical strength and courage, although he has a crippling fear of ghosts, particularly when they are vague blobs of light in pictures. Strangely, a grey named Tony appears in his house from time to time without him minding it at all. America is frequently seen clutching a hamburger and flashing a thumbs up. America also has a penchant for coming up with elaborate inventions that never go anywhere.

United Kingdom (イギリス ,Igirisu?) Voiced by: Noriaki Sugiyama (JP), Scott Freeman (US)
A nation that was once a pirate and tormented Spain, the United Kingdom (also known as U.K. or England in the comics) is a gentleman who is known for having terrible cooking skills (although America enjoys his food), a foul mouth, and huge eyebrows. He does not get along well with France or Russia, and can sometimes be cynical, particularly towards his somewhat estranged sibling America. Despite being mocked by the other nations for it, England is a strong believer of unicorns, faeries, and magic, going so far as to literally curse his enemies. (At one point, he tried to summon something evil, and ended up with Russia.) England cannot hold his liquor well and is a very unhappy sort of drunk. He once formed an alliance with Japan because he felt lonely. He is classified as a *tsundere character.

France (フランス ,Furansu?) Voiced by: Masaya Onosaka (JP), J. Michael Tatum (US)
France was once a large nation, but after Napoleon Bonaparte had died, he was no longer good in war and instead attracted tourists to his country with his wine. He has an intense rivalry with England, and loves to argue with him over trivial topics. France is infatuated with most of the nations, often touching them inappropriately. He has been known to streak naked and makes blatant sexual comments at every opportunity. France maintains a bit of facial hair because he feels it makes him look like a big brother. He is constantly pictured with a rose, whether he is carrying it or using it as a censor.

China (中国 ,Chūgoku?) Voiced by: Yuki Kaida (JP), Clarine Harp (US)
China is one of the oldest nations and is regarded as the eldest brother among the East Asian nations. He is extremely superstitious and religious. He has certain tastes for things and gets irritated if a food has a certain pattern of tastes. He is also a big fan of Hello Kitty and tends to end his sentences with the Japanese suffix -aru.

Russia (ロシア ,Roshia?) Voiced by: Yasuhiro Takato (JP), Jerry Jewel (US)
Despite having the cruelty of a child, Russia is the tallest of all the nations. He adores vodka and sunflowers. His primary hate is "General Winter", despite using the cold to his advantage in war. Russia has a kind and gentle face, but has mentally cracked from the strain of his bloody history. The other nations are mortified by him, particularly Lithuania, whom he loves to both physically and emotionally abuse. Occasionally, he stalks others while in a panda costume. Russia promises that eventually "everyone will become one with Russia". He also frequently says "KolKolKolKol" to nations he is threatening. Russia is almost always seen carrying a section of pipe. He is classified as a *yandere character.

*Tsundere = A person with a conceited, spiky, combative personality that suddenly becomes modest and loving when triggered by some sort of cause (such as being alone with someone). It can also describe a personality that is good-willed, but its attitude and actions often contradict its nature.

*Yandere = A personality that is initially extremely loving and gentle, then at one point becomes deranged or psychotic, often brutally so.

DISCUSS.
Blitz
Sometimes, I can't stop laughing when I do my AP World History homework. It's becoming problematic.

We're talking about Revolutions right now in class, and of course, we had to talk about the relations between England and France, and how they hated each other [relating to the Haitian Revolution]. I just kept thinking about Arthur and Francis. Oh, dear.

Ahh. Koreans overreacting. I'm Korean. I'm not offended; it's all in good fun.
Little Washu
We're discussing the Renaissance (Galileo, Copernicus, ect.), so the Holy Roman Empire now serves as a source of humor for me XD As does Italy, of course. If I get the chance, I may mention it to my teacher. If he seems interested, I may recommend showing it in class >w> Though, some of the jokes are a but lewd, like the "miniature-Japan-down-there" one >w>...

Ah, that's good. I see a lot of comments from Korean fans(or not...) who say they hate it(or the author) for how they were portrayed. Maybe like...

Washu: Some Korean fans(?) are very angry at how they were portrayed.
Friend: How were they portrayed?
Washu: As being very angry.

Lol, I/we are portrayed as being air-headed, nosy, and always eating hamburgers XD
Blitz
Yep. We just finished up with Enlightenment and the Renaissance a few days ago.

Funny thing, the HRE. They were not: a real empire, nor were they Holy, nor were they really "Roman."

We're moving into German re-unification. Guess what that means? PRUSSIA. >D
Little Washu
Lol, I guess the "Holy Roman Empire" is a liar! He just wants to get Italy over to his house.

Lol, haven't seen him yet since I'm watching the anime (can't find a place to read it...).

I have the sudden urge to genderbend all of the characters...though, I'm sure it's been done...oh well.
Blitz
Livejournal is your best friend.

Strangely, I know the person [Kokizzzle] who translates the Hetalia anime IRL. It's a bit odd, but I spammed his Facebook when I found out. X3
Little Washu
Lol, I shall investigate that...

Lol, I would request a r@ndom shout out to myself in one of the eps(or the ED), just for fun XD

Currently awaiting episode 9 *w* They're too short D: I mean, "Chi's Sweet Home" was shorter, but at least (I believe) they cranked the episodes out like no tomorrow. I shall go resume watching "Nanaka 6/17" until said episode reveals itself...
Prince the Ripper
Gah, why didn't I see this XD

I love Hetalia~ [Italy -both North and South- happen to be my favorite XD]

And I really don't see the problem with the Korea character to make Korea hate it =/ But then again, the fact that Japan and Korea really don't get along that well, I could see some problem there. But still =/

And haha...yes we Americans love our hamburgers. I don't know why but I always have to go "That really is us" whenever Alfred does something that prtrays the Americans >>;

Now to go catch up >>;
Little Washu
^I know what you mean XD.

As far as Korea(character) goes, he's portrayed as being temperamental, and is apparently seen carrying a Japanese flag (in the manga, since the character doesn't appear in the anime, or at least hasn't as of yet). Now, temperamental, I don't know, the Koreans I know (by that I mean the nice man and woman who run the local Sung's) seemed very nice to me. And the flag, I'm unsure as to what that represented. But I do know that Korea is the youngest of the Asian Countries (characters) and is about 15. And aren't most 15 year olds temperamental anyway XD?

Ah, waiting on episode 9. Damn I wish the episodes were longer D:
Prince the Ripper
Yeah =/ Maybe their portraying a love for Japan or something instead of a hate...but who knows lol

and I wish that they were longer too D;
Forgiven
I am learning about the Axis Powers and ect in History Class right now.

*Puts on Anime watch list*
DustStorm
I just got into this anime/manga a bit ago. This makes my ap world history class much more amusing to me than it should be. XD
I love this anime, there's only gong to be a few episodes for it (26, I think ;_;), but the manga is still being translated. :3
Its so cute, everything about it is just so adorable. It's really funny too.
The characters are hilarious. I especially like how Germany/Italy's relationship is portrayed. I always laugh too much/loud when I watch it.

Their voice actors are pretty awesome. I especially LOVE North Italy's voice. I think it fits him perfectly.

(Today on a bike ride to the beach I passed by many Italian restaurants in my city that I had never noticed before and I kept saying "Pastaaa" aloud every time I saw one. God knows how many times I said the word... later on today I had a gelato. It's sad, but Italy ran through my head the whole day because it was kind of hard to ignore the Italian overload today. XD)
Prince the Ripper
Haha XD I did that a few days ago with spaghetti sticks~ XD

Oh and Romano and Feliciano [N and S Italy] are the same voice actor. But it fits since they're both Italy, but I will agree with DustStorm. It fits North~

Now I might go to Olive Garden after school XD
Rainshine
OMG, now I'm going to shout out "Pastaaaa!" everytime we make spaghetti. >.<
I love this show, it's sooo cute!
I can't seem to find episode 12, but from what I've read, it should come out soon?
huh.gif *confused*

Anyway, I'm loving this!!! biggrin.gif
Blitz
^ I think it's already out, just not subbed.

Himaruya made an Australia
Rainshine
QUOTE (Blitz @ Apr 13 2009, 08:04 PM) *
^ I think it's already out, just not subbed.

Himaruya made an Australia

Ok, Thanks! happy.gif
ZakOnTheAttack
I've started this series yesterday, it's pretty funny but a lot of fast talking so I needed to take a break from it ha ha.

They should make that Australia a real character, he would probably be my favorite one.
Prince the Ripper
I just caught up with the anime and omg. I needed this~

Episode 14 was just...XD I really wonder what those images were that were mentioned with the German simulator bit.
Little Washu
Episode 14 is a lie...I wanted to see the US Closet-Cleaning episode...
Prince the Ripper
Maybe they're doing like they did with the whole France asking England to "marry" him bit. Showing bits of it here and there and THEN throwing it out.

I wanna see it too >>;
Little Washu
2nd season is confirmed, and Canada finally makes his appearance in episode 19.
and a friend and I think we saw him in Chuck E. Cheese
Katya Martin
Oh man.
Hetalia's pretty funny. I also went "What the-----" a lot. Reading/watching it the day before my world history final was probably a bad idea.

At any rate, I happened across this, and now I must spread it to ease my mind's pain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xCBEegKUVM...feature=related It is Caramelldansen. Hetalia caramelldansen. SO MUCH caramelldansen.

...And a cheeseburger, among other things. happy.gif
EniviD EiraM
what's this ??

anime .. ?

I haven't heard about it yet ... sad.gif
Little Washu
QUOTE (Naomi Kumikoh(cutiedivine) @ Jan 25 2010, 09:29 AM) *
what's this ??

anime .. ?

I haven't heard about it yet ... sad.gif

Use this to look it up

Bumping for English cast announced

---

Todd Haberkorn as Italy (I totally called that one~)
Christopher Bevins as Japan
Patrick Seitz as Germany (as I predicted~)

Eric Vale as America
Jerry Jewell as Russia (very fitting IMO)
Clarine Harp as China (Yes! A woman as China!)
Scott Freeman as England
J. Michael Tatum as France

Brina Palencia as Chibitalia
Cherami Leigh as Liechtenstein
Chris Cason as Holy Roman Empire
Christopher R. Sabat as Rome
Chuck Huber as Austria
Dave Trosko as Spain
Ian Sinclair as Romano
John Burgmeier as Switzerland (We'll have to see on this one...)
Josh Grelle as Lithuania
Luci Christian as Hungary
Lydia Mackay as Ukraine
Maxey Whitehead as Sealand
Mike McFarland as Estonia
Monica Rial as Belarus
Ryan Bijan as Poland
Ryan Reynolds as Latvia
Vic Mignogna as Greece

---

Will update with more voices as they're released.

There's clip from the English dub of ep 1 floating around. America sounds good, China not so much. To me, Germany sounds like Patrick Seitz, Italy sounds like Todd Haberkorn, and Japan may just be Travis Willingham.

Here are some clips of each character's dub scene (for Axis and Allies)

Italy
Germany
Japan

America (Aha~ Still sounds like Brock to me~)
England (America Is shown talking here. He sounds like Brock from Pokemon, I'm not even kidding.
China
Russia
France

Some additional clips~
Italy and Germany
World Conference (from episode 1)
Sal_san
... oh my god, a Hetalia thread.

This makes me insanely happy.

Anyway, I love this show. It needs more Asians, though.

Aside from Japan, that is.
Jankat
I've been watching Hetalia for awhile, and I just now deceided to reply to this topic (I fail forever) And I haven't watched the entire World Series one, but I have watched all of Axis Powers.

My faverite episode at the second is the episode where France trys to get Britain to marry him X3

This thread shall revive
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.