Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tying Up Loose Ends Before FMA Story Ends: (May Contain Spoilers!)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Animeoldtimer
~ Questions That probably won't Be Answered In The Manga that you would like to know? ~

What questions do you think won't be answered in the manga, that you would like to know?

For example:
Do you think we'll learn about the history of Hoho-Papa's master?
Will we learn how Hohenheim and Trisha met?
Vitor 3000
Honestly, I can't see Arakawa not answering things. She is very good on this! That wich she doesn't explain is easy to be deduced, or she leaves a clue somewhere in her chapters. Every question of the manga I believe it will be put to proof, someday. But, nevertheless, I think there are questions that do *not* need answers, but I still would like some explanation.

1) How were each one of the Homunculi born? How did it happen? (NOTE: I believe she will say, or leave implicitely, the usefulnes of the Homunculi, but won't say the way they were made)
2) How is Briggs? I don't believe they'll talk about how it works. It is called an Empire, isn't it? I have this curiosity!
3) What happened to Knox and his family? I just loved that scene! I think he won't appear anymore .
4) What happened to Glacier and her daughter?

But, as you can see, those are questions that don't matter to the story. I believe 3 and 4 will be answered, just like Arakawa usually does: in a cool way! But the others are just for curiosity!
Naivete
Honestly, I can't see Arakawa not answering things. She is very good on this! That wich she doesn't explain is easy to be deduced, or she leaves a clue somewhere in her chapters. Every question of the manga I believe it will be put to proof, someday. But, nevertheless, I think there are questions that do *not* need answers, but I still would like some explanation.

True, but IMO, she's probably going to make an omake on one of the "questions that don't need an answer".
Fujihakama
I think Arakawa will answer most (or all) questions in the manga, though I doubt she's gonna tell us about the characters' ancestors (apart from the Armstrong's)......
Vitor 3000
QUOTE(baKa-neKoh @ Oct 10 2007, 01:39 AM) *
True, but IMO, she's probably going to make an omake on one of the "questions that don't need an answer".

Hahahahahahaha, yes, I forgot about the omakes!
She can make an omake making a joke with this - like she made that one wich showed how was Pride and GreedLing's first meeting!
I hope she does, I love her humour.
Animeoldtimer
She does do a good job of that. I'd like to see one of when Ed first gives Winry the wrench or one of Riza's tattoo.
Alchemical
I think she'll answer all the questions that are vital to the story, but leave some of the ones that aren't needed (yet make us curious) for omakes.
mazam
~Tying Up Loose Ends Before Fma Story Ends: (may Contain Spoilers!), What unexplained part you'd like to see "resolved"? ~

Since we're up to the final stretch in the manga, I was wondering if there are any loose ends in your mind that you feel absolutely need to be addressed before fma is done? I know she'll give a resolution to things like Ed/Winry and Roy/Riza. What I'm interested in are things you feel may be ignored in favor of other things.

What I'm personally hoping for is a Trisha/Hohenheim moment. Maybe a nice flashback Hohenheim can share with Ed and Al before he inevitably is no more. I'd seriously like to know more about how they came to live together.

The official timeline has Hohenheim and Trisha start living together in 1894 - 5 years before Ed's born. I made out Trisha's manga tombstone as giving her birth year as 1878 (recent trailer confirms this). That would mean Trisha moved in with Hohenheim at age 16 ... Heh, considering Hohenheim looks at least late 30s, that kinda makes Hoho sound/look pedo - 'specially when he told Al he swooned when he first saw her. >_< But yeah, that's one of the main things I'm looking for. Besides attraction, why did they move in/how'd they fall in love?

What about you?

Did Arakawa ever given an estimate on how long FMA would run? I remember hearing 80 then 100 chapters - seems like it will go over that right now.
Gukumatz
16! I had not thought of that. That is indeed very young. Hoho, what were you thinking?

That makes me even sadder that he left her with two children. She was so young.

I would like to know more about their backstory, too. You know, it occurs to me that Ed and Al may not even know the names of their grandparents. With Hohenheim, I understand, but I would like to know what happened to Trisha's family. I bet Arakawa has a whole story in her archives. It would make a good side story for the manga, supposing we never hear about it in the main story.

I would also like to know more about the Philosophers from the East and West, and how the founding of the separate Xing and Amestrian alchemies came about. We haven't heard anything about that in a while and I doubt the purpose of those legends was just to build suspense for the revelation of Xerxian Slave No. 23 and the Flask Homunculus.
Kasumisty
While I don't think we need revealing another story of Elric's family, it is essential to slow the pace and do a side story, as you say, Xingese alchemy. Something like flashback about slave 23.
Hagaren_4ever
QUOTE (Gukumatz @ Mar 18 2009, 12:45 AM) *
I would like to know more about their backstory, too. You know, it occurs to me that Ed and Al may not even know the names of their grandparents. With Hohenheim, I understand, but I would like to know what happened to Trisha's family. I bet Arakawa has a whole story in her archives. It would make a good side story for the manga, supposing we never hear about it in the main story.

I completely agree with you on that point. I find the family of the characters to be extremely important, and so far Arakawa has done a good job at addressing the families of the characters in a realistic manner, (not EVERYONE has a dead parent, like in a lot of shows), but I was kinda shocked that she took the easy way out for Riza and just said that BOTH of her parents were from estranged families. I can't see Trisha coming from an estranged family, though. Even so, I'm sorry, but I honestly don't think the subject is gonna come up.
N. Havoc J.
Meh. I'd rather see how Bradley and his wife met. It takes balls or tits? To slap the king of a nation. laugh.gif
jefe
I wnat to know how did Father came to be. He was already there in the flashback, with no explanations on who made him or on why was he a floating shadow with eyes that knew so much about alchemy.
Anakishi
I, too, really want to know more about Father. That's bound to be, like, the ultimate secret behind the whole plot. We've already begun to unfold this secret on chapters 74-76, with Hohenheim's past, but that's just not enough: there's still the part about what is Father, who created him, on what purpose, what are his true aspirations (ok, free himself from the flask, but then what?), what he intends to do with Amestris to achieve his goals, and, finally, what is this about those "human sacrifice" things.
I guess we'll see a whole lot of this in the upcoming chapters, with the Hoho/Father meeting, but it's been a few chapters and no reappearence of them. sad.gif at any rate, it's really hard to make any predictions on this, but I believe, like many have said in the past, there's a relation between Father and Truth, that would explain his obsession with the Doors.
Zazaza
Well, I wanna know more about the Xerxes, Truth and alchemy backstory! I find it really interesting.

So... I'm wondering about the 'Eye' symbolism that is used during the transmutation scene. As far as I know, the 'eye' had always been linked to the Illuminati/Anti-Christ, a secret society that controls the media and the corporations of the world in order to bring about falsehood about 'God'. Isn't this about the same as the premise of FMA -- the government is corrupted and is planning a devastating scheme towards the people of Amestris....

This one-eyed symbol was also used abundantly in Eygpt, as a sign of power and 'Godhood' (pharaohs). I think that Arakawa incorporated the 'eye' to show that the alchemy of Amestris is of an evil source... who knows? The story of Xerxes also has parallels with ancient Egypt -- slaves, a desert country, pharaoh-like ruler...
Gimpyhair
I had like to see:
- I would like to see a bigger flashback of Wrath, either how he met his wife or how he began to care for her.
- It might be too late, but more information about madame Christmas, if she were an acquaintance of Hawkeye-sensei for example.
BluePhoenix
hey!! I'm new here!! I've been lurking around for a while but finally decided to join the forum. Some people might recognize me from zomgfta possibly? anyway hahah

I'm interested in seeing the connection between General Grumman and Madame Christmas. Remember how Roy found the slip in the chess piece and then asked a favor from Madame Christmas, and she contacted Grumman again... I'm interested in knowing more about that, or if it's more like the fact that Madame's is the only place where he could have made that call? I could always be reading into it too much. And I hope they show Grumman and Wrath soon, they left that kind of hanging, and I hope she doesn't think we were supposed to be convinced that Wrath is dead.... Even though he is a human who was injected with the philosopher's stone, he can regenerate, right?
sidekick.kep37
QUOTE (Zazaza @ Apr 18 2009, 10:48 AM) *
Well, I wanna know more about the Xerxes, Truth and alchemy backstory! I find it really interesting.

So... I'm wondering about the 'Eye' symbolism that is used during the transmutation scene. As far as I know, the 'eye' had always been linked to the Illuminati/Anti-Christ, a secret society that controls the media and the corporations of the world in order to bring about falsehood about 'God'. Isn't this about the same as the premise of FMA -- the government is corrupted and is planning a devastating scheme towards the people of Amestris....

This one-eyed symbol was also used abundantly in Eygpt, as a sign of power and 'Godhood' (pharaohs). I think that Arakawa incorporated the 'eye' to show that the alchemy of Amestris is of an evil source... who knows? The story of Xerxes also has parallels with ancient Egypt -- slaves, a desert country, pharaoh-like ruler...

Oh wow. That's really amazing how you brought up the Illuminati in relation to the 'eye' symbol. I never would've guessed on anything like that, but now that you bring it up, it suddenly seems very likely. Also, I agree with your other theory on how the eye could also relate to Egypt's power. Being who I am, I'm probably gonna go ahead and look more into that.

What I'd like to know more about is Truth. Seriously, whowhat is Truth? Besides the whole "everything, nothing, you, me" hack. Initially, I thought Father created Truth, but I'm skeptical against that since Father created Gluttony as an alternate form of the Gate- which of course, failed. So does anyone control Truth, or is Truth just third-party between the humans and homunculi? Or could it be that Truth is just fate- inescapable and unavoidable?

Also, Ed claimed when speaking to Al "We're gonna hunt down that bastard Truth..." Would you perceive that to be a threat against Truth or just a bold statement claiming Ed's determination?
mazam
QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Jun 23 2009, 02:28 PM) *
QUOTE (Kyelinn @ Jun 23 2009, 05:11 PM) *
Do you mean like, how he is now as Father or do you mean how he became Homunculus? Because how he became Father was through Hohenheim, if I'm not mistaken is in the chapter that shows Hoho as basically a slave and how the Philosopher's Stone was made; The Last Days of Xeres I believe? Though I am curious how he became a little man in a flask like that...hmmm

oh yeh i know that, I meant about his form as 'homuculus' in the flask came about, we were told it involved hoenhimes blood, but we arn't told many details of his actual creation, since all other human transmutations in fma have ended badly and not in the creation of a conciousness, i think thats interesting.

You know this is also one of the things I've been wondering about a lot. Father was made with Hohenheim's blood and somehow given a form. But on a higher level - is Father kind of a clone of Hohenheim? I believe it was mentioned that Father used the blood/DNA to make his body. But then his shadowy form was similar to the grabby paws that take limbs, etc as a toll for Truth.

Which now makes me wonder Father's connection to Hohenheim's Truth. Did Hohenheim see his Truth when his body was taken? But then, that would mean Hohenheim's Truth has his real body considering Father mentioned using half of Xerxes to recreate Hohenheim's body. Not to mention Father knows more about alchemy than whoever made him. How?

And I hope it's answered soon why Hohenheim doesn't question how Father aged. It means he knows why.
Causmicfire
QUOTE (mazam @ Jun 24 2009, 09:18 PM) *
You know this is also one of the things I've been wondering about a lot. Father was made with Hohenheim's blood and somehow given a form. But on a higher level - is Father kind of a clone of Hohenheim? I believe it was mentioned that Father used the blood/DNA to make his body. But then his shadowy form was similar to the grabby paws that take limbs, etc as a toll for Truth.

Which now makes me wonder Father's connection to Hohenheim's Truth. Did Hohenheim see his Truth when his body was taken? But then, that would mean Hohenheim's Truth has his real body considering Father mentioned using half of Xerxes to recreate Hohenheim's body. Not to mention Father knows more about alchemy than whoever made him. How?

Well, considering that Bob!Father looks kind of like Truth/Gate(specifically the eye of the gate and grabby hands), maybe he is (part of) Hohenheim's Truth/Gate. Then, maybe he has Hohenheim's real body, which is why he aged. (insert stone into a real human and it ages: Wrath)

Some info into how the first homunculus was created with be interesting to learn.

I'm also wondering when Marcoh is going to show up.
Flamez_Freak
QUOTE (Causmicfire @ May 27 2010, 11:21 AM) *
Some info into how the first homunculus was created with be interesting to learn.

my point exactly . I wanna know how the homunculus were created . It would be a great addition . . But sadly , we don't have space left . Well , an ova (anime) or a small spin off (manga) would do the trick . .
Vlyse
There's still the last chapter. Maybe Father's origins are relevant to his defeat. I don't understand why things like Zombies or Mini-Bradleys got explained over something as big as this. And how ever did Hohenheim qualify as a human sacrifice anyway?
ramencat
I'd like to know more about Xing. And another flashback about Xerxes would be nice. In regards to Father and Truth, since Father transmuted an enormous amount of people along with himself, he would have seen more of the truth, so maybe he knows something that the others, exept Hohenheim, don't.
Forsaken Love
I wanna know how Father was created XD No one else in the story was able to create intelligent life, and what is father? Is he a truly artificial being? Or a creature dragged out of the gate of truth?
MsLinn
Well, clearly spoilers! rolleyes.gif And long meaningless post! (well not meaningless, it's in topic (on topic? :S), but still...)

Things I hope (but seriously doubt she will ignore) that Arakawa wont leave hanging are Roy's unfair Human Transmutation (or whetever it counts as); it was unfair, and Pride, what's going to happen to him.
Acctually, the last goes for every minor and major character! What happens to them? It's her fault she made them all so darn main-character-ish; they have all been so important for the story! I want to know how they will live the rest of their life the following months or so! If Roy remains blind, will he still try to become the new Fhrer/President? Will Ed then borrow even more money? Will the Mustang-gang be split up if Roy doesn't get to deside? Will some of them retire (Fuery maybe)? What will Scar do for the rest of his life? He said that he wanted to change this country, right? Well, now he has. OH, I just remembered, back when Riza told Ed about Ishval, and that the soliders there will be seen as mass-murderers when it's back to peace. Will they really be judged in a trial? Do they have a trial independent from the military in Amestris? Will Olivier Armstrong go back to Briggs? Where is Miles, btw? With Grumman, right? ...In east, if my memory doesn't fail me again.
Scar's name too. She has promised, hasn't she?

Random thought I had today was what Ed and Al will do for a living after the end. Will they work in the military, to build it up again? Automail-mechanics, maybe? tongue.gif
In fan-fics *rolls eyes at myself* Ed is often portraid as too restless to stay in Risembool with Winry and Al and therefore goes to central to work in the military and leaves Al :C (and Winry). But...Winry works in Rush Valley. Do all the fan-ficauthors thinks she will just move back...Did she get a job in the first anime? If she didn't, that would explain things as most fics seems to be animeverse...Anyway, I hope that doesn't happen! (Him leaving Al. (and Winry))

Agrees with Forsaken Love and others who wants to know this; How was flask!Father created?! It's so weird!

And Al must get his applepie!! Acctually, if I got to deside the whole or maybe half, of chapter 108 will be about Al getting used to-- No, that's a bad choice of words :S As if he will think it's boring after a week... Rediscovering-- that's sounds weird to in a more pg13 way...Oh well, living again!! ... sleep.gif' And here they have been all series convincing themselves that Al is alive.
Reliving the joice of life.... >.> possibly with May... :C
Anyway, lots of that! biggrin.gif
I wonder if they will keep that armour?
Where will the brother's (and Hoho, damn it!) live? Will they build a new house? Move in with Rockbell?
Stay with Winry in Rush Valley when Al is strong enough?
Oh oh oh, I want a scene in the hospital with everyone alive visits Al! And there will be crying!
And as mentioned by someone in the ch107-thread, it would be awesome to see Ed cry! If I remember correctly he cried a lot in the first anime, but not since he became an state alchemist in the manga. I want him to hug Al and cry. I even drew it >.<'
Has Winry gotten her earrings back from Ed yet? That shoud get a short scene at least. tongue.gif

Aaaanyway, the only big things I can come up with now is Pride, how Father was created and Roy's forced transmutation. And what Truth is. Are. Someone said, and I assume it's true 'cause it makes sense, that Father absorbed a Truth and not God. I don't know if it's his own Truth, Hoho's (since Father wasn't born as a normal person, but as some kind of clone of Hoho or whatever, I don't think he has an own Truth) or the Earth's.

EDIT: I just remembered the small flask of Philosopher's Stone that Ran Fan picked up from Wrath. *trying to come up with something cool, but am too tired*
Bett Bett
I want to see a flashback about Roy' human transmutation because I think he had some conversation with the "Truth" and we saw just 2 pages about him in front of the gate so there could be something interesting. laugh.gif
_Jelly
Dude where's Pride? Is it possible to throw him at the gate to get Roy's eyesight back...?
Edward Cardinal Elric
QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Jun 24 2009, 12:02 PM) *
QUOTE (Zazaza @ Apr 18 2009, 10:48 AM) *
"Well, I wanna know more about the Xerxes, Truth and alchemy backstory! I find it really interesting.

This one-eyed symbol was also used abundantly in Eygpt, as a sign of power and 'Godhood' (pharaohs). I think that Arakawa incorporated the 'eye' to show that the alchemy of Amestris is of an evil source... who knows? The story of Xerxes also has parallels with ancient Egypt -- slaves, a desert country, pharaoh-like ruler..."

"Oh wow. That's really amazing how you brought up the Illuminati in relation to the 'eye' symbol. I never would've guessed on anything like that, but now that you bring it up, it suddenly seems very likely. Also, I agree with your other theory on how the eye could also relate to Egypt's power. Being who I am, I'm probably gonna go ahead and look more into that.

What I'd like to know more about is Truth. Seriously, whowhat is Truth? Besides the whole "everything, nothing, you, me" hack. Initially, I thought Father created Truth, but I'm skeptical against that since Father created Gluttony as an alternate form of the Gate- which of course, failed. So does anyone control Truth, or is Truth just third-party between the humans and homunculi? Or could it be that Truth is just fate- inescapable and unavoidable?

Also, Ed claimed when speaking to Al "We're gonna hunt down that bastard Truth..." Would you perceive that to be a threat against Truth or just a bold statement claiming Ed's determination?"

Quid est veritas?

I believe that the whole eye = the Illuminati and/or Freemasonry issue is quite a common misconception. The
Eye of Providence was a Christian symbol long before it came to be associated tangentially with such groups. I am quite anxious to see how Arakawa ties up the story and reveals the metaphysical nature of the FMA universe.

So, which of the evil characters will ultimately end up being portrayed as good allegories for the
the Dragon, the Antichrist, and the False Prophet?

Trakonda
QUOTE (MsLinn @ May 27 2010, 07:59 PM) *
...Al must get his applepie!! Acctually, if I got to deside the whole or maybe half, of chapter 108 will be about Al getting used to-- No, that's a bad choice of words :S As if he will think it's boring after a week... Rediscovering-- that's sounds weird to in a more pg13 way...Oh well, living again!! ... sleep.gif' And here they have been all series convincing themselves that Al is alive.
Reliving the joice of life.... >.> possibly with May... :C
Anyway, lots of that! biggrin.gif
I wonder if they will keep that armour?

I'd LOVE to see how Al manages with his body after so many years of living without it. He definitely needs help at first, that's for sure. It would make some cute scenes to see Ed helping out his little brother in small everyday routines ~ Oh, and Winry, too. Possibly May C:

About his armor.. there's this one portion of the last Brotherhood ending vid that keeps bothering me. The part when we see Al's armor in a sunset, just standing there. I always keep noticing how that armor looks so.. lifeless and worn. As if it was just put there like a statue or something.
Who knows, might that be foreshadowing? tongue.gif Maybe they do reconstruct Al's armor back to whole (as it's all wrecked in the latest chapter) and stand it in Risembool or something, as a memorial of the old times. I wouldn't see that impossible, really

As for the topic in general, I truly want to see how Father was created, too. It's been bugging me all this time. And the first homunculus, how was he created?
Aand.. some alchemy backstory definitely would be interesting! C: Scar's true name, too..

Bah, simply too much stuff to tie up at the moment! Maybe Arakawa ends making an extra chapter for all of this sometime, who knows. o.o She just might want to keep ending as simple and whole and just finish the main plot.. and then make a small omake for those smaller, "not as important" things later. Because tying them all up in a single ending chapter might just be too much and take some effect away from the ending, overall.
Kaori Ayanami
QUOTE (Trakonda @ Jun 1 2010, 01:27 PM) *
She just might want to keep ending as simple and whole and just finish the main plot.. and then make a small omake for those smaller, "not as important" things later. Because tying them all up in a single ending chapter might just be too much and take some effect away from the ending, overall.

You mean a gaiden? Those are like mini-chapters and are as canon as chapters themselves, omakes are those short strips just for fun. tongue.gif
But she may quickly and amusingly clear up many, many things in the omakes. XD
angelofsarcasm89
QUOTE (_Jelly @ May 30 2010, 02:04 AM) *
Dude where's Pride? Is it possible to throw him at the gate to get Roy's eyesight back...?

That just made me crack up. I have this mental image of Roy just picking up a screaming baby Pride and hurling him at the wall.

But yeah, I want to see closure with Roy. Also, I'd die to see an omake or gaiden about young Roy learning alchemy from Hawkeye-sensei.
Trakonda
QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Jun 1 2010, 10:56 PM) *
QUOTE (Trakonda @ Jun 1 2010, 01:27 PM) *
She just might want to keep ending as simple and whole and just finish the main plot.. and then make a small omake for those smaller, "not as important" things later. Because tying them all up in a single ending chapter might just be too much and take some effect away from the ending, overall.

You mean a gaiden? Those are like mini-chapters and are as canon as chapters themselves, omakes are those short strips just for fun. tongue.gif
But she may quickly and funny clear up many, many things in the omakes. XD

Gah! Yes I meant gaiden, sorry. XD I always keep messing up with these different terms.
But some funny short strips would work nicely too, yeah! tongue.gif
BirdieNumNum
I've been thinking for a while myself that the chapter might be focussed mainly on tying up the main plot, and maybe Arakawa will give us a gaiden in the last volume that ties up all the little character related stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.