Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Watchmen
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Movies, TV Shows, & Other Videos
Dickens
Hello smile.gif

So I went to see Watchmen on the weekend, and I've been waiting for it to happen for a couple of years now, since I heard it was in the making. I love the graphic novel, all the symbolism and content, the character development, the characters themselves...

But- I was a little dissapointed by the film.

Several reasons why, one being the violence. Now, yes it's an 18 and the GN does deal with some dark issues, but was there any need for changing and developing the more intense grusome bits of the book? I mean- spoiler- the whole guts on the ceiling after being blown up by Manhattan, the fact that in the book the bloke who gets tied to prison bars has his throat cut, but in the film has his arms saw off... is it really needed???

Overall I'd rate the film a 6.5 out of 10, but I was just wondering if anyone else had seen it and what the thought about it.
Blitz
I completely agree; the violence was rather gratuitous. A lot of unnecessary things were thrown into the movie, and it seems like they abused the "R" rating. :/
Dickens
Completly agree, just like the sex scene. Did we have to look at nakedness for so long?
Popogeejo
At least it's a a fairly faithful adaptation even if it doesn't do it for fans of the comic as much as we'd like.
it may have missed the finer points (like Vedit worrying over whether he did the right thing and such) but as a companion piece to the comic it's not that bad.
The movie is basically an advert for the big huge DVD anyway.
Dickens
Indeed, and I will even concede that leaving out the squid in replace of the explosion and framing Jon worked well in the film.

Popogeejo
Oh yeah, expect lots of internet kiddies to idolise Rorschach and ignore all his glaring faults (or turn them into positive traits.)
Dickens
Do you reckon they were trying to avoid that happening when they gave it an 18 cert? tongue.gif lol

Although Jackie Earle Haley did a great job on a very difficult character.
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
well as for me i have to say that the movie was epic. i saw it at the imax theather. that was epic. Rorschach got blown up by Dr. Manhattan. he was my favorite person in the movie.
Dickens
It's a moving scene that, although i don't like that dan saw it, in the book he doesn't. I keep comparing the book and the film though, thats my problem. I should probably look at the film more objectivly but I can't seem to do it, I keep comparing. The extended dvd might give me some more joy.

I loved the actors they picked though. They were spot on.
kelen
I was waiting for this movie for some time, and before premiere I bought all volumes of polish edition. I knew that Alan Moore history is one of the greatest and most important graphic novel in 80's. And - wow - sure it is. Now, it's my fav comic book history.
Movie? I enjoyed it very much. It's the BEST movie based on comic book - Snyder made something special - a movie for comic book fan. For fan that wanted this epic comic book on screen with all original content. Sure, there are few changes (like the ending - but IMO, it's better in the movie - and it fits for it), whatever.
And about complaining that movie is too violent - I think it is NOT. First, categoery R, Sec, everything was like in comic book (well, maybe not the scene with fat man in prison). The scene when Manhattan blowing up bad guys is ok - I mean - if something would blow up from inside it would be messy. Very messy.
Sex scene - true, in comic book there were only few shots and in the movie there is full scene, but I think, if comic book and movie is concentrated around people - not action - then I think that is good to show something that is normal thing in our life (also, it's shows us something more about characters).

Annd, sorry for my english.
Dickens
Hey Kelen, welcome to the boards smile.gif (I know I'm a bit late but oh well tongue.gif)

I still believe the movie is too violent. There are very dark themes covered in the GN, it contains incredibly violent images, but why include suct over the top scenes of violence. Yes if you were blown apart from the inside it would be messy, but why incluse shots of women with chunks of human on thier face, as well as camera shots of organs plastered onto the ceiling.

But its like most movies these days. It's assumed that to scare people, you need gore, and that for audiences to get the point, things need to graphically shoved in front of your face.

I'm excited for the DVD though, to see if the rumours are true...
kelen
Hello, hello smile.gif
why incluse shots of women with chunks of human on thier face

As fair I remember, that woman was Dr Manhattan fiancee, right? And I think that scenes shows us reaction of people that are close to Manhattan and their shock for this what thing he is doing with no emotions.
Probably (beacuse I didn't watch it - there is NO premier in our country of this movie and I don't know the reason) the film with too much violent is new Punisher, Punisher: War Zone.
I'm excited about DVD too, beacuse of more scenes (over 3 hour movie, yeah), including SPOILER death of Hollis Mason and Dan's reaction for it. SPOILER
Dickens
Violent spoiler I meant when he blows up a couple of guys in a bar, theres organs on the ceiling and then they do close ups of two women sitting at a table with chunks on thier face, not pretty.
kelen
Yeah, not nice. I was wondering about reaction (and other scenes) of some people, beacuse... there were few parents with 8-10 years old children.
Dickens
You're kidding!?!? Thats awful, I'd never let my 12 year old sister watch that film at her age.
Blitz
Honestly, I'm not sure if I should have watched it; a 10 year old, though?
That's absolutely unreasonable. Especially considering all the graphic content in the movie. It was awkward enough sitting through that incredibly long sex scene at my age....
Dickens
i've gone on another forum and apparently loads of people saw young kids in the cinema watching it.

if i'd have watched that at 10 i'd be scarred.

i wandered into the living room when i was little whilst my stepdad was watching something- i cant remember what but i remember seeing a heart being ripped out of a guys chest and i couldnt sleep properly for weeks.

Blitz
Oh. I've been immune to this sort of stuff for a while, and I do enjoy it most of the time.

It just saddens me that people will take their young children to see Watchmen....
kelen
Well, yes, it's true. You know, you can't go to R movie if you are not at last 18, but if you are going for it with someone who is 18 or more, you can do it. Probably parents thought that is next nice superhehero movie based on comic book for kids... :D
Popogeejo
It's worrying when a big blue dong is probably the least upsetting thing kids will in this movie.
Gotta love parents not looking into these kind of things.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/20...atchmen_li.html laugh.gif
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Mar 19 2009, 04:48 PM) *
It's worrying when a big blue dong is probably the least upsetting thing kids will in this movie.
Gotta love parents not looking into these kind of things.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/20...atchmen_li.html laugh.gif

wow that is the best movie article that I ever read in my life. thanks Popogeejo. happy.gif
Dickens
i agree with most of that to be fair.

Cheers for the link.
Slashrose1010
As a fan of the graphic novel, I'd have to say that this movie was a load of bollocks. The characters were changed and underdeveloped far too much and the acting was subpar considering the cult around Watchmen.

I disagree with the new ending. It leaves the whole original framing (Jon giving people cancer) pretty pointless, as originally Veidt's original purpose was to get Jon away from earth and stop caring about humans since Jon was the only person that could stop him. The movie's alternate ending frames Jon AGAIN, even though he's on Mars. Many non-readers of the novel said that the squid ending was a lot less believable because aliens are so curious and doesn't make sense... Indeed, because a blue God-like naked man, able to deconstruct and reconstruct matter as he sees fit, duplicate himself, and see into his past/present on command is so much more believable than aliens. Let me tell you.

I agree that the violence was unnecessary as well. While reading the novel, I actually noticed how brief and limited the violence was. The blood and gore kind of ruined it. The cinematography was weak as well. I've never seen 300 or Dawn of the Dead, so I'm not sure I can truly criticize his style, but I felt the camera was far too static, trying to "stay true" to the comic by replicating as many frames of the novel as possible. I enjoyed how he stuck to some things, but trying to watch a comic like a slideshow is not very entertaining.

I'd have to give this movie a 3/10. Major disappointment, especially since I enjoyed V for Vendetta and From Hell. I expected a lot more out of a Watchmen movie.
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
wow Slashrose1010... that is deep for a movie. but as for me i like the fight parts.... but i was not the big fan of the whole big sex scence that happens in the flying bug thing (whatever that is called). but besides that i have to say that the movie is a 5 out of 10.

and aslo i have never seen 300 or Dawn of the Dead yet, but from what i heared from other people that have seen it they think that these movies are really volient and bloody. (sorry can't spell happy.gif ) so at the moment i am deciding of i want to see these movies or not.
Dickens
300 is brilliant- nothing like the watchmen- i def reccomend it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.