Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pending, Perplexing Questions! (almost Done With The Series). Possible Spoilers!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
hughesfan_89
Hi all. I'm new here. I'm enjoying the FMA anime series so far, and have seen til ep. 48, so I'm pretty near the end. However, I have some questions with me which are really BOTHERING the heck out of me. Obviously, I cannot contact the creators for answering them (I can't speak or write japanese anyway), so then I decided to ask at a big FMA forum - here.

1. Apparently, ed has decided not to return Al back to normal. When did he decide this, and why? The brothers, whether they like it or not, DO have the stone with them afterall. How does Roy know of his decision? Who else knows of his decision?

2. The philosophers stone has been made. It used souls. The souls of all those military men fighting in Liore. We even saw how the stone was made - the men just vanished in red light. My question is, why has there been no hue and cry over those men? Throughout the series, the brothers have shown sorrow over death, even for the bad guys (greed, the guard of Lab 5, etc.), but there has been nothing on the men lost in the stone's creation. Heck, the brothers were pretty shocked at the prospect of making that stone!

3. Barry the Chopper. As a human, he was this extremely scary lunatic. Ed was left really scared after his encounter with him. But, when Barry is introduced again, as a guard for Lab 5, he's become a... comic character? What's that all about? The guy MURDERED women, SLICED them up. And all Al can say is, "Oh! You're the one who kidnapped Winry!"

4. Why did Roy switch from his goal, to plain old vengeance? Didn't Roy feel worthless, deserving of death, before? Didn't he feel that becoming the Fuhrer was the only way to give him the a reason to live and to set things right in his country? Wouldn't Hughes himself want Roy to focus on that goal, instead of revenge?
Moreso, why was Hawkeye assisting him? Wasn't her goal to assist Roy become the Fuhrer? Why didn't the rest of Roy's company protest his decision?

5. Lastly, how come Roy and Ed come to respect each other? Yes, they've changed their goals, but what for? Ed didn't make the philosophers stone earlier in Lab 5 out of conscience, whereas Roy has thrown his conscious away and is simply aiming for petty revenge. (the whole story with Scar was afterall, a commentary on vengeance)
LandoCalrissian
Hi all. I'm new here. I'm enjoying the FMA anime series so far, and have seen til ep. 48, so I'm pretty near the end. However, I have some questions with me which are really BOTHERING the heck out of me. Obviously, I cannot contact the creators for answering them (I can't speak or write japanese anyway), so then I decided to ask at a big FMA forum - here.

1. Apparently, ed has decided not to return Al back to normal. When did he decide this, and why? The brothers, whether they like it or not, DO have the stone with them afterall. How does Roy know of his decision? Who else knows of his decision? - I believe that Ed is going through the conflict that live humans were used to make the Philospher's stone. - Even though they have it, it would be like using the lives of innocent thousands just to save the one - personally, you have it...even though they did not intend to get it that way...so USE IT! - The other part, I do not know.

2. The philosophers stone has been made. It used souls. The souls of all those military men fighting in Liore. We even saw how the stone was made - the men just vanished in red light. My question is, why has there been no hue and cry over those men? Throughout the series, the brothers have shown sorrow over death, even for the bad guys (greed, the guard of Lab 5, etc.), but there has been nothing on the men lost in the stone's creation. Heck, the brothers were pretty shocked at the prospect of making that stone! - [/color] - I guess Bones did not think it was important. The military guys were no-names so there was nothing dramatic about it...even though I found the whole ordeal pretty horrific. It is more dramatic when Nina or Greed perished. Also, if you remember, when Scar died, it was done in a pretty melodramatic way...he just fell down from the gun shot wounds (and of course his arms) -

Personally, I think, they only had so many episodes left and they needed to move on to the end...

3. Barry the Chopper. As a human, he was this extremely scary lunatic. Ed was left really scared after his encounter with him. But, when Barry is introduced again, as a guard for Lab 5, he's become a... comic character? What's that all about? The guy MURDERED women, SLICED them up. And all Al can say is, "Oh! You're the one who kidnapped Winry!"

- I believe in the Manga he was also used for comic relief at this time...however, once again, it was a use by Bones. Putting comedy in the middle of dramatic situations - However, remember, he did create havoc with Al concerning his memories...and he did die with a great fall.

4. Why did Roy switch from his goal, to plain old vengeance? Didn't Roy feel worthless, deserving of death, before? Didn't he feel that becoming the Fuhrer was the only way to give him the a reason to live and to set things right in his country? Wouldn't Hughes himself want Roy to focus on that goal, instead of revenge?
Moreso, why was Hawkeye assisting him? Wasn't her goal to assist Roy become the Fuhrer? Why didn't the rest of Roy's company protest his decision?

This whole point between the last few episodes and the movie really bothered me. - He was so close...however, in Roy's mind, he would rather kill the Fuhrer and stop the insanity in his world and give up his dream to make things better.

To me, the whole thing could have been planned better, and when the final confrontation occurs, there are some very fortunate events that occur for him to try and pull it off...another reason why I did not agree with this.

So, with order restored, he would fade away to obscurity. There were better ways of doing this, however, I feel Bones ran out of time so they needed to create a quick revolution (really nothing) and get the series over.

5. Lastly, how come Roy and Ed come to respect each other? Yes, they've changed their goals, but what for? Ed didn't make the philosophers stone earlier in Lab 5 out of conscience, whereas Roy has thrown his conscious away and is simply aiming for petty revenge. (the whole story with Scar was afterall, a commentary on vengeance)
[/quote]

To me, this is one thing that I did like - over the whole series Roy kept his true intentions and feelings from others while Ed was always bombastic and boisterous. Now the roles are reversed and Roy is on the move and Ed is on a rescue mission.

If you are referring to the conversation that they have in the car, I feel that this could have been dealt with better, however, you are dealing with 2 individuals who have dealt with horrors in their life and they have to act now to end the madness.

Even though their motives changed, their hearts were the same in this respect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.