Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did Mustang Actually Lose His Eye?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > FMA Conqueror of Shambala Movie
edxwinryfan
I thought that Mustang just said that his one eye has a patch on it because through it he sees all he people he has killed,but I was told that he actually lost that eye,did he lose it when he was fighting Bradley in the anime?
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
yes he did lose it in the fight. he is saying that cause he is blaming himself for the disaperance of edward.
Claudius
Actually, this happened after he fried Bradley. The cyborg Archer attacked Roy and probably shot his eye out.

QUOTE (xXdark_angel_nekoXx @ Jan 22 2009, 05:09 PM) *
he is saying that cause he is blaming himself for the disaperance of edward.
And Hughes' death...and Selim's...and the Ishbalans...and Winry's parents...
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
QUOTE (Claudius @ Jan 22 2009, 08:35 PM) *
Actually, this happened after he fried Bradley. The cyborg Archer attacked Roy and probably shot his eye out.

QUOTE (xXdark_angel_nekoXx @ Jan 22 2009, 05:09 PM) *
he is saying that cause he is blaming himself for the disaperance of edward.
And Hughes' death...and Selim's...and the Ishbalans...and Winry's parents...

oh ya i forgot about the other people that he "fried". lol sorry i think that was really funny.
Popogeejo
Do they not have Metaphors in Canada?
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Jan 23 2009, 07:43 PM) *
Do they not have Metaphors in Canada?

what are you talking about?????
Popogeejo
I am asking if Canadians, like the person who made this thread claims to be, do not have metaphors and are thus unfamiliar with them.
I'm asking because it seems fairly obvious Roy was using one (a metaphor for those not keeping up) and not being literal and actually claiming to have a magical eye that sees dead people, not unlike that child from 6th sense.
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
oh i see. thanks for the explaination.
Forgiven
No. He lost his eye. Now he's a pirate. ^^
Omifizzle
Yeah i wondered about that i patch for a while. At first i thought it had something to do with the fact that the homonculus sign was in his eye, so when he killed him, he would have his eye removed as equal trade... but if it were the case they probably would have explained it a little better. So probably either he got cut in his eye, or robo man shot him in his eye like you guys were saying.
Miss_Chibi_San
I wondered why he had an eye patch too! During the battle with Bradley, I noticed that Roy's eye seemed perfectly fine. No slice marks near his eye at all.... Unless it was very, dicreet? It didn't look like he had hurt his eye at all.... It must have been Archer shot it? When he and Selim came out of the mansion?

While we are on the subject of Mustang, Can someone please tell me the reason why he went all... depressed in the movie? And why he quit his job/rank? I'm kind of confused about that and if someone could tell me about it, I would really be happy XD
The first FMA anything I had ever watched, was the movie, lolz. but that was ages ago....
Speedy Alchemist
I always just thought it was to make him look cooler. XD

Does he have proper depth perception? my uncle lost an eye and he's not allowed to drive, I'd be worried about frying anybody unless I was sure it'd hit the target. lol
Makika
I think he is depressed because he can't "save" all his friends (edward), and he cares a lot about it...
Mercy_Alchemist94
Actually, he may not have. I don't remember there being a scene where you saw his eye being injured or taken out.
So why would he put on an eye-patch? "Whenever I'm about to use it I see the many people who have lost their lives because of my foolishness . . . With this eye." (Now some of you are probably thinking "Duh, he's using a metaphor! He actually lost his eye" but I'm not done yet. Please keep an open mind and continue reading.)

We know Pride in the series had an eyepatch covering his eye while it was capable of seeing. Granted, that was for a completely different reason but with that can you really say it's that far off for Roy to put on an eyepatch for a reason other than the fact he lost an eye? Many people use many different ways to remind themselves of something. Religions like Christianity use holidays to remind them of God or fasting to remind themselves of other people in need they need to pray for. (Using religion to explain FMA? Doesn't seem to work.) Or think of this, people sometimes tie a string around a body part to remind themselves that they need to do something that day or to keep some idea in mind and usually it's not something connected to the string or something that involves string. This could be what the eyepatch is for. It's always there so he can never forget what he did, and possibly using it to beat himself up about it. (Covering one eye makes it harder to determind where things are, though it may not be as extreme as losing your life he may think of this as something that can make up for his mistakes even if it's just a little.)

So why would he keep it on even after he uses alchemy? He still has something to remind himself of: To be careful with his power. (Also the atoning thing mentioned above could explain this.)

Roy could have lost his eye, he could have not . . . This is one of the many holes left unchecked in the first FMA anime series.
Popogeejo
Uh, he loses it it at the end of the anime. Shot out by robo archer.
Claudius
QUOTE (Miss_Chibi_San @ Mar 24 2009, 11:35 PM) *
While we are on the subject of Mustang, Can someone please tell me the reason why he went all... depressed in the movie? And why he quit his job/rank? I'm kind of confused about that and if someone could tell me about it, I would really be happy XD
The first FMA anything I had ever watched, was the movie, lolz. but that was ages ago....

Read this month's chapter, and you will know the answer.
Mercy_Alchemist94
QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Apr 10 2009, 02:08 PM) *

See, I don't remember that scene! I only remember seeing Robo Archer outside when Roy comes out then we cut to somewhere (Possibly Hawkeye) and we see Hawkeye find Roy injured some way, thinking he's dead or close to death.
Claudius
QUOTE (Mercy_Alchemist94 @ Apr 11 2009, 12:36 PM) *

See, I don't remember that scene! I only remember seeing Robo Archer outside when Roy comes out then we cut to somewhere (Possibly Hawkeye) and we see Hawkeye find Roy injured some way, thinking he's dead or close to death.
Well, since there's a pool of blood under Roy, I don't think he's taking a siesta.
Mercy_Alchemist94
QUOTE (Claudius @ Apr 11 2009, 08:51 PM) *
QUOTE (Mercy_Alchemist94 @ Apr 11 2009, 12:36 PM) *

Well, since there's a pool of blood under Roy, I don't think he's taking a siesta.

That just means he was injured, it doesn't prove he lost or hurt his eye.
Trizo
In the final bits Archer does you know, shoot at Roy. I mean, it's not likely that a bullet would simply graze over the skin and not enter the brain - but what can you say? It's fma.

Ew, actually there's a thought. What if the bullet was like, lodged into his eye and stopped there?

Seriously though, I think that's the reason his eyepatch is so obnoxiously huge - his face underneath is all scarred and ew. If its anything to do with fire, like a few others said as well, perhaps the skin over his eye was all melted. Ew.
black~hayate
Yeah, now we all know (or knew all this before) that Mustang lost his eye in episode 51. Archer shot him. In the end of this episode we can see him on a bed with an eyepatch and Riza feeding him with apples.

So it's unrealistic to survive a bullet wound through his head. Maybe that bullet just umm... striped him and he has an injury under his eye? Why?
Because in the chibi party we see that his eye is alright. Why should he wear an eyepatch then? Because wearing an eyepatch means depth, depression and so on. He's wearing it because he is emo? You know what I mean >D
Trizo
Or that side of his face is just more subject to the cold.
black~hayate
QUOTE (Trizo @ Apr 15 2009, 03:21 AM) *
Or that side of his face is just more subject to the cold.

Hahaha, yes, this idea is even better =D
fallenalchemist32
well he lost his eye in the fight at the os the anime and he quite his job/rank and dose not use alchemy because he is feeling guilt for all the death that he was involed in and the deaths of his friend
spectator
QUOTE (black~hayate @ Apr 14 2009, 05:20 AM) *
Yeah, now we all know (or knew all this before) that Mustang lost his eye in episode 51. Archer shot him. In the end of this episode we can see him on a bed with an eyepatch and Riza feeding him with apples.

So it's unrealistic to survive a bullet wound through his head. Maybe that bullet just umm... striped him and he has an injury under his eye? Why?
Because in the chibi party we see that his eye is alright. Why should he wear an eyepatch then? Because wearing an eyepatch means depth, depression and so on. He's wearing it because he is emo? You know what I mean >D

That is because, in chibi party, all characters there are considered as actors and actresses. It is like 'behind the scene' thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.