Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Having Fan-made Live-action Fma Movie Project/plan? Post Here!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks
Pages: 1, 2
kag19
~ Fullmetal Alchemist Live Action Film? Is It Possible?, Can hollywood create a FMA film without messing up the original story? ~

With the recent live - action adaptations of Transformers, Speed Racer, and Dragon Ball Z by Hollywood, I've started to wonder if in the near future we might be seeing a live action Full metal Alchemist film. I strongly believe that FMA has a lot of potential in becoming an Oscar nominated film. The characters, world, and story are so three-dimensional. The anime itself has being very successful in the US and in Japan, also in other countries. To be honest, I think that out all of the Animes being adapted into live action films right now, Arakawa 's creation is the most original and realistic story I've ever came across. What are your thoughts on the creation of a real - life full metal Alchemist film?? How would you start the film? What would you leave out??? I would love to know your opinion!!

I am interested in writing a screenplay adaptation. Iím a screenwriter (screen writing student in college) and would love to know what you think about the idea??? I have written out a step - outline and have based most of the story on the manga itself. I love the anime but I think that story has already been told. wub.gif

I would love to post a few pages of my screenplay as I continue to work on it. I'm working on the script for my screenwriting adaptation class. Any suggestions would be helpful? Thanks!! biggrin.gif

==================

<Posted in FMA manga forum>

~ Live Action Fullmetal Alchemist Film? Manga Based Only, Screenplay Adaptation Assistance Needed ~

With the recent live - action adaptations of Transformers, Speed Racer, Voltron, Akira, Macross, and Dragon Ball Z by Hollywood, I've started to wonder if in the near future we might be seeing a live action Full metal Alchemist film. I strongly believe that FMA has a lot of potential in becoming an Oscar nominated film. The characters, world, and story are so three-dimensional. The anime itself has being very successful in the US and in Japan, also in other countries. To be honest, I think that out all of the Animes being adapted into live action films right now, Arakawa 's creation is the most original and realistic story I've ever came across. What are your thoughts on the creation of a real - life Full Metal Alchemist film?? I know many of you are going to think the idea is outrageous but I donít think so. Look what Hollywood is planning to adapt, a Ė live action film of dragon ball Z (I like DBZ)! I know this anime is very popular around the world but do we really have to see it come to life. I for one think that FMA would have more success than any of those other films, simply because the story is so strong, emotional, action driven, and realistic to a certain point.

How would you start the film? What would you leave out??? I would love to know your opinion because I am currently writing a screenplay adaptation of FMA. Iím a screenwriting student and would love to know what you think about the idea?? The screenplay is BASED purely on the MANGA. I'm writing it for my adaptation class. I'm having a hard time writing my step outline because there is so much I want to write about but it's impossible to fit everything into one screenplay. There is a lot of things I have to cut out and change so I can come up with a 120 page script. I think the story of Ed and Al could fit into three separate screenplays. I would love to share my outline, treatment, and screenplay with everyone on this site. Please provide any feedback, I would really appreciate it? Thanks!!! cool.gif

Kag19 wub.gif
Alchemical
This doesn't belong in the manga section, unless you're talking about turning the manga into a live action film.

The characters, setting, and plot of Fullmetal Alchemist may be brilliant, but all that changes when portrayed by human actors and actresses by Hollywood.

If I were directing it, I wouldn't leave a single thing out, or add anything new. I wouldn't give it to Hollywood.
The random alchemist
QUOTE(Alchemical @ Mar 8 2008, 04:26 PM) *
This doesn't belong in the manga section, unless you're talking about turning the manga into a live action film.

The characters, setting, and plot of Fullmetal Alchemist may be brilliant, but all that changes when portrayed by human actors and actresses by Hollywood.

If I were directing it, I wouldn't leave a single thing out, or add anything new. I wouldn't give it to Hollywood.

actually I always thought FMA would look awesome as a 3D realism film like Beowulf. This way they could hire new voice actors (maybe with european accents to make it seems more like their in a alt. version of europe) and keep the characters looking like their suppose to look but with still a feel of live action to it.

But anyway I agree with you about holywood would probably ruin it, they tend to ruin any series they touch with a live action film Dx
They often change the plot, characters an everything else and spew out a big piece of crap that looks like the original series.

As far a screenplay goes I would think of a original senario that takes place between time frames (like for example between volume 8 and 9). Maybe consisting of another human sacrifice (powerful alchemist). Maybe a PS that falls into the wrong hands. sorry if I can't be anymore helpful ^^;
Popogeejo
Yeah, please don't cross post. If anyone cares they'll go to the thread in the other section.
kag19
QUOTE(Alchemical @ Mar 8 2008, 05:26 PM) *

Yes, the screenplay is based only on the MANGA. I think the anime story is fine just the way it is, no one should touch that story.

Yes, that's true. Converting an animated show like FMA to real - life action is a bit risky but don't think itís impossible. Just look at transformers and other animes that are in the works right now. Besides, if I was Arakawa and a Hollywood/ Japanese production company approached me about adapting my work into a live action film, I would be hesitant at first to give them permission because Iíd be worried about the way they were going to adapt the story. I wouldnít want my creation to be destroyed.

If a FMA film is ever created, then Arakawa should demand that she play a key part in the development of the film, just like JKR is with all the HP films. She is after the creator and knows the characters better than anyone. Why change the story so much to fit the needs of an American audience? I wouldnít.

As for other concerns like costumes, actors, and special effects, I think the film industry is capable of handling all that. Again, look at the HP world WB has created. Sure, not everything in the books was kept in the films, primarily because of lack of screen time but the films themselves are artistically beautiful. The actors are brilliant. Nothing is impossible when making a film. As long as you have a good imagination, use realistic sets, have a hard working crew and a well - written screenplay, and a imaginative director, and awesome cast, your set. As long as youíre able to envision the idea, you can create it. Well, at least thatís what I believe. smile.gif
Animeoldtimer
I was just thinking about this the other day. I really like the idea of it being based on the manga and not the TV show because the manga is much better written. Given that, I was thinking it would probably work best if it was made as trilogy (or more). There are so many details and Ed and Al's journey is long, so to complete it all in one movie would weaken the story. Your idea of making three screenplays makes sense to me.

I would think you could start the first movie with Ed and Al as little toddlers up to age 12 or start them at 12 and 11 and do the flashback scenes as is done in the manga and anime. The second script, could revolve around Rush Valley and Hughes' death, the defeat of the first Greed and Lust and introduce the Xing Family. biggrin.gif The third script would take Ed and Al to Briggs and to the conclusion of the manga. I'm not sure what I'd leave out. I'd have to think about it. I'm not crazy about Garfiel, though. sleep.gif

I would definitely cast relatively unknowns for the parts and focus more on story than special effects.
Izumi Sensai
I personally hope they keep their greedy hands off of FMA. I've been watching those Hollywood vultures rape my favorite childhood cartoons, stories and shows making them into utter garbage.
mad.gif
Chiyo
I hope, and pray, they don't do it. FMA does NOT need it and making it on to a Hollywood film would be pandering to the fans and prove that Hollywood is losing anyway of coming up with their own ideas. Yes it is a good story and would translate into an interesting film, but to me its just not right. Look at Death Note (though not Hollywood) I far prefer the anime to the film.

Also, expressions, Ed pulling faces when he gets called short etc could not translate in to live action. No human could actually pull such facial expressions, and it would look just awful if they animated those parts.

As for using Harry Potter as an example, you're dealing with a film that has a far bigger audience than FMA. Even more, Harry Potter attracts people who haven't read the books, not something you would get with FMA as much especially if following the manga. Think of how much also would have to be edited to make sure you can reach a fair enough audience, would Hollywood be aiming this film at 12 year olds or 16 year olds? There is a big change in what films can show between those ages.
WeiS Blitz
I'd rather there not be a live-action film. Another anime, maybe, but not live-action.

The Dragonball Film is like a bad highschool AU T-T
APalchemist5
This is awesome becuase I was talking to a friend about this.

We were wondering what actors should be used and such, and the big question that came up was what should they do with Al?

I personaly think they should computer animate him, my friend did not like this idea.

Also they need a whole new actor as Ed, I cant see anyone acting now that could play him.

I think that it would be very very cool becuase it fma is the greatest idea/story in the world, I also think that if there was a movie with the real actors, it might attract people to the manga. And for once there would be a good plot on the big screen (unless hollywood screws it up)
Sannom
I personaly think they should computer animate him, my friend did not like this idea.

Let me guess : he wants to put Michael Clarke Duncan in the armor, right laugh.gif ?
RoyxRizaFan
The idea of seeing FMA as a live-action film sounds exciting, but if you really stop to think about it, Hollywood does screw everything up when they get their hands on it, and it would be really upsetting if people didn't read FMA because the movie sucked. Plus, they would have to do at least three movies and still would edit a ton. I just don't think anyone other than Arakawa can understand the true depth of the characters, including the people who made the anime. The anime wasn't terrible, but it just doesn't compare to the complexity (i hope that's a word - LOL) of the manga. I don't know what would be best to leave out, either. Maybe Rush Valley (volume 5) wasn't too important? Or some of the first few episodes about the train and stuff? I'm not sure. Everything seems to important in FMA!

I'm not crazy about Garfiel, though

That guy cracks me up, but he could probably be left out. I can only imagine what Hollywood would do with him (LOL)
Animeoldtimer
I do agree that Hollywood has been screwing with our favorite cartoons/anime-believe me I read the Voltron script-but if a fan is writing it or Arakawa herself, couldn't they have more say in doing it right?
Petite-Parfait
QUOTE(RoyxRizaFan @ Mar 9 2008, 04:30 PM) *
I'm not crazy about Garfiel, though

That guy cracks me up, but he could probably be left out. I can only imagine what Hollywood would do with him (LOL)

I've seen a movie about a guy JUST like Garfiel, it was great. xD I forget what the name of it was called, though..
Izumi Sensai
QUOTE(Animeoldtimer @ Mar 9 2008, 07:09 PM) *
I do agree that Hollywood has been screwing with our favorite cartoons/anime-believe me I read the Voltron script-but if a fan is writing it or Arakawa herself, couldn't they have more say in doing it right?

Don't even get me started on Voltron. I would love to go to La-La land and beat someone senseless for what they are doing. I'm just happy that the script for the adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Sandman is resting in a shallow grave somewhere out of Disney pictures clutches.
And even if Arakawa wrote the screenplay there is very little chance that the final product would even resemble the original script. The producers are more interested in making money, demographics and using the "flavor of the month" actors, who may not be exactly right for the role but are considered a hot comodity, the end results are usually something that is only a faint image of the original idea.
allykatty1
Screenwriting student, huh? Yay, me too! Well, sort of; I graduated in May 2005. smile.gif May I ask where you go to school? I went to NYU Tisch School of the Arts, and I personally would LOVE to see a live action FMA film. And I actually am already here living in Los Angeles, and if no one else does it, I intend to do my very best to make it happen someday! biggrin.gif But I'm only 24 and just starting out, so my power in the industry is practically zilch right now, but hey, maybe in a couple more years... and I love that you are already plotting a script for it, hehe. Wish I could read it! Wanna collaborate and approach the Japanese with it??? Lol, just kidding (for now wink.gif ).

But in all seriousness, I absolutely agree that it ought to be manga-based. I've thought much the same myself, and have actually been mentioning it to a lot of people lately; basically anyone who will listen! I even introduced a guy at New Line Cinema to it a couple weeks ago, and he's got the anime on his Netflix now. Yay! Altho' New Line Cinema announced their absorption into WB practically the next day. tongue.gif Sigh. Oh well, I'll be keeping at it... I also know some folks who have the film rights to another very popular manga/anime, and who are planning a script right now. One which hasn't been announced anywhere yet. I must keep them close. wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

My main thoughts are this, in general:
In regards to claims that Hollywood would ruin it: well, firstly, a live-action film is an entirely different animal from a manga or an anime. No, you can't imitate anime facial expressions (as someone argued), but why on earth would you want to? The story grounding FMA is about a whole lot more than funny anime stylizations. Yes, I think we'd have to cast unknowns as Ed and Al. CGI seems perfectly reasonable for Armor Al. And of course certain elements would have to be changed to suit a movie adaptation, but that is just it: it is an adaptation. It would be an alternate vision of the world of FMA. You could not go into it expecting it to be EXACTLY the same as other incarnations of the series you've seen. You would have to let it be its own entity, and look at it from a slightly detached viewpoint. And insofar as target age range, I'd personally like to see FMA taken fairly seriously, a la X-Men or Spiderman. I'd keep as much comedy as possible, but the best part of FMA to me is how it touches your heart, and that's what's most important to me in a film adaptation. And also, I think that is the key to a GOOD film adaption: heart, and making sure that the people involved on it are actually fans of the show/manga (like me). People who would want to see it done justice, and better yet, to also stun and awe a whole new audience who when would be drawn to the original source material (anime and manga) as well.

Re: Hollywood not having any more original ideas; sure, may be true of a lot of them here in LA, but adapting FMA wouldn't be for lack of ideas, to me. It would be about a tribute and alternate vision of a world we really love. Look at the new Lord of the Rings. THAT is a well done adaptation, and certainly not redundant, no two ways about it. smile.gif Original or not, LOTR was, and still is, freakin' awesome. tongue.gif

Of course, this is all under the assumption that Arakawa-sensei would even be willing to give away the film rights to Hollywood, even to a good team of true FMA-fans. Personally, here's hoping! ;D
Animeoldtimer
QUOTE(Izumi Sensai @ Mar 11 2008, 07:08 PM) *
QUOTE(Animeoldtimer @ Mar 9 2008, 07:09 PM) *

Don't even get me started on Voltron. I would love to go to La-La land and beat someone senseless for what they are doing. I'm just happy that the script for the adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Sandman is resting in a shallow grave somewhere out of Disney pictures clutches.
And even if Arakawa wrote the screenplay there is very little chance that the final product would even resemble the original script. The producers are more interested in making money, demographics and using the "flavor of the month" actors, who may not be exactly right for the role but are considered a hot comodity, the end results are usually something that is only a faint image of the original idea.

UGh! That gets me soooo much! Hollywood has no clue when it comes to real people. They figure "Oh it's just an old kids program what does it matter if we change all the characters." I could go on and on but I won't.
Luv Ed
well, if they were doing a movie I'd rather have that Arakawa and the ones who made the manga directed it :/ otherwise I'm not sure how to react. Sure I guess I'd love the movie if there was one made, but then it really have to be great directors doing it huh.gif

Luv Ed
Animeoldtimer
I think it could be done with the right people.
kag19
QUOTE(allykatty1 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:12 AM) *
Screenwriting student, huh? Yay, me too! Well, sort of; I graduated in May 2005. smile.gif May I ask where you go to school? I went to NYU Tisch School of the Arts, and I personally would LOVE to see a live action FMA film. And I actually am already here living in Los Angeles, and if no one else does it, I intend to do my very best to make it happen someday! biggrin.gif But I'm only 24 and just starting out, so my power in the industry is practically zilch right now, but hey, maybe in a couple more years... and I love that you are already plotting a script for it, hehe. Wish I could read it! Wanna collaborate and approach the Japanese with it??? Lol, just kidding (for now wink.gif ).

Re: Hollywood not having any more original ideas; sure, may be true of a lot of them here in LA, but adapting FMA wouldn't be for lack of ideas, to me. It would be about a tribute and alternate vision of a world we really love. Look at the new Lord of the Rings. THAT is a well done adaptation, and certainly not redundant, no two ways about it. smile.gif Original or not, LOTR was, and still is, freakin' awesome. tongue.gif

Of course, this is all under the assumption that Arakawa-sensei would even be willing to give away the film rights to Hollywood, even to a good team of true FMA-fans. Personally, here's hoping! ;D

Well hello, itís nice to meet another fellow screenwriter and FMA fan on this site. Iím a Masters Screen writing student and also live in Los Angeles. I think itís the best city to live in if you are seriously pursuing a career in the film industry. Right now, Iím only working on this script for academic purposes (classroom setting) and to improve my adaptation skills. IíM NOT MAKING ANY MONEY OUT OF THIS PROJECT. sad.gif sad.gif I am merely writing this script as a student and as a FMA fan. I guess you can consider it like a fan fiction. But who knows, maybe in the near future one of the major Hollywood studios might take an interest in FMA and work on obtaining the copyrights. Then, they can hire someone to write an official live action film script. It never hurts to pitch the idea around. I wouldn't mind assisting you in approaching a production company with this idea thumbsup_anim.gif .

Ever since I started watching the anime and reading the manga, I always dreamt of a live action film being created one day. Iím really passionate about the idea and believe that itís possible.

One of my goals is to approach this story in a new way but at the same time to remain faithful to original material. The whole concept of alchemy has been reintroduced to modern society with the releases of the Harry Potter books and films velho.gif . As well as the release of the book the Alchemist by author Paulo Coelho. I loved reading that book. It was such a symbolic and moving story. The book is being adapted into a blockbuster film. So, yes I definitely believe that people will take an interest into the whole alchemy concept. I myself have done lots of research on the subject because I wanted to understand the FMA characters more and get familiar with the content. I don't think there are a lot of things that need to be changed except for eliminating some scenes so the story can flow in a more linear structure. So definitely my main concern right now is working on the structure (plot Points, act structure, climax, elimination and combination of scenes and characters), and the condensing some of the dialogue, and creating the opening and ending scenes. I definitely see Edward experiencing major character growth from the beginning to the end of the first/second act. Okay , so I guess there is a lot I have to work on! dry.gif

I have to plan everything out and reread the chapters very thoroughly and keep the characters in character. Anyhow, yeah, I would love to share what I have written already with you. Right now, I'm working on the outline and treatment so I can flesh out the structure of the story. I need to know the direction I'm headed.

Hopefully I will be able to post my outline on this site soon. Any feedback would be welcome!! Please be honest, and point out any concerns you have as a fan like what you think should be included and left out. How should Edwardís height complex be approached? I think some people in real life might be offended by some of those height jokes that make the anime/manga so funny. Itís true that Edís facial expressions are impossible to mimic on screen by a real life person.

If I were to direct a film like this, I definitely would take advantage of using the latest special effect technology but I would also not over do it. I would only recommend it be used at crucial moments in the film. I loved how Pirates of the Caribbean used stunt people to create some of the fighting scenes instead of over using the special effects to create a more realistic world. For example, speed racer over did it with SXF. Hereís a question, who would you cast as Edward?? Al? Winry? Mustang? I would cast all unknown actors like they did with LOTR but thatís just my opinion. scenic.gif
allykatty1
Sounds like you're on the right track! I agree with basically every single thing you said. I also have thought from the start that I'd love to see a live action FMA, but only just recently realized "Duh, I have a film/tv writing degree, I'm going to LA (and am now here!), so if no one else does it I should MAKE it happen!" biggrin.gif

Esp. re: the casting, I have been telling friends for months now that I would cast unknowns in all the main roles (once again, a la LOTR). Not that Liv Tyler, Ian McKellan, Elijah Wood, etc., were TOTAL unknowns, but it was close enough. wink.gif

Hey, if you live in LA too feel free to drop me a line sometime! I live in Burbank and freelance all over the place (I am actually back at New Line Cinema today) and am also working on an anime documentary with an independent company right now. My email is allykatty1@hotmail (I don't check this message board all that often, but this topic caught my attention! I usually only check the monthly spoiler parties for the new manga chapters). smile.gif

FYI, spoke to New Line guy who I talked into checking out FMA. He watched the first ep a couple nights ago and admitted to be quite impressed. Said he was just expecting an actiony cartoon, not all the "philosophical stuff." Hehehe. Once again, too bad New Line is gonna be shrinking big time what with the WB merger, but oh well, gotta start somewhere! biggrin.gif

Oh, almost forgot! I also have read and love the book "The Alchemist." Was frankly blown away and can't wait to see what that particular film turns out like. biggrin.gif

Re: the short jokes, yeah, that would be tough to translate to live action. It works in anime but I dunno about real life. It would also depend on the casting. What if we find the PERFECT Edward but he happens to be 5"8? wink.gif Of course, there's always the LOTR hobbit tricks, LOL! I think it could absolutely be addressed that he is on the shorter side for his age, but I doubt we'd be able to work in those full-out explosions, flinging people thru the air, etc, etc... but a little temper tantrum here or there might work. Hmmm.

Oh, do you have a MySpace? Mine is www.myspace.com/allykatty1 (you can see me with the Return of the King Best Picture Oscar at New Line Cinema, LOL).

Cheers!
~Allyson
kag19
I was searching online for information about any new live action anime films and I discovered this article:

* By Phyl Good * Published 04/1/2008

Tom Cruise considers legal options after Fullmetal Alchemist casting press conference

Actor Tom Cruise is rumored to be mulling over legal action after learning that he was not considered for the role of Edward Elric, in the upcoming production of the new Fullmetal Alchemist live-action film, FMA: Flaming Alchemists.

The casting for most of the major roles in the film was announced at a press conference last week, at the Beverly Hilton hotel in Beverly Hills, California, and Cruise was never referred to. He arrived at the venue two hours after everyone had left, and may also sue the production for not informing him of either the time or location of the event. Casting director Suzanna Frane, when informed of the actor's threats, seemed surprised, and maintained that Cruise was not informed of the details of the press conference because he is not, and will not be, involved in the film in any way. Cruise was clearly not satisfied with this explanation, and promised he would be consulting his lawyer later that day.

Speaking to reporters outside the locked door of the Beverly Hilton conference room where the announcements had been made, Cruise shrugged off the idea that he is too old to play the 16-year old Edward character in the movie.

"They can do anything with makeup and CGI these days," he said. "And it doesn't matter that I have short black hair. I've done long and blond before. Remember Lestat? I've got the Edward energy and I'm also short. When you think of it, I am Edward Elric. Plus, they tell me the cartoons and comics are massively popular. So the role was obviously made for me."

Meanwhile the person actually chosen to play the character, Elijah Wood, was excited at the chance to expand his acting range. "It's a challenge," he said after the announcement that he'd won the role. "You have this guy, with his companion, wandering through strange lands on a quest that could affect the fate of the whole world."

With reporters wondering whether this scenario reminded him of anything, he was vehement in his denials. "I mean, Edward gets to shout a lot. Frodo never did that. I'm really looking forward to adding that skill to my repertoire."

Sean Astin has been cast as Edward's brother and traveling companion, Alphonse Elric, while Ian McKellan will portray their father, Hohenheim of Light.

The casting of most of the other characters in the film was also announced during the press conference. Edward's military superior, alchemist Colonel Roy Mustang, will be played by Bollywood actor Hrithik Roshan.
In both the anime and manga, Mustang is drawn with exotic, almost Asian looks, and Roshan will bring his own smoldering, exotic looks to the role. And judging by his recent performance as Emperor Jalaluddin Muhammad Akbar in the movie Jodhaa Akbar, he will also have no trouble carrying off the Flame Alchemist's arrogant attitude.

Mustang's best friend, Major Maes Hughes, will be played by Jim Carrey, who is already cooing over small, cute children and carrying his camera at all times, taking pictures of everyone around him as he prepares for the role. "It's method acting," Carrey explained at the press conference. "I'm trying to discover the man's inner motivations. Now - say cheese!" he adding, snapping pictures of photographers taking pictures of him.

Other notable casting coups, announced at the same press conference, involved Paris Hilton as Riza Hawkeye, and Nathan Lane as Major Alex Louis Armstrong.

Hilton obliged reporters by adopting a pose she described as "dangerous," bracing her feet, pouting out her lower lip, and peering down the barrel of a toy gun she brandished at the crowd. She dismissed the idea that all the Hilton family money backing the film had anything to do with her being cast. "I was chosen because I was perfect to be Mustang's love interest," she maintained instead.

Hilton seemed surprised when informed that Mustang and Hawkeye, his second in command, never actually behaved as lovers either in the anime or the manga. But Roshan, who had flown to California from India just for the press conference, remarked that since Bollywood films generally do not portray couples kissing or engaging in similar activity, he was content that he and Paris Hilton would not be kissing in the film.

Nathan Lane, meanwhile, discussed the strenuous weightlifting program he has begun, in preparation for the role of the muscular Major Armstrong. "I love the uniform, obviously," he said. "But the first time Armstrong throws off his shirt and jacket to go bare-chested in the movie," Lane went on, shivering in pleasant anticipation, "I want viewers to see something that will make their jaws drop. And you know those twinkles that sparkle around him whenever he does that? I've already got those down cold."

Just as the press conference ended, it was reported that Fullmetal Alchemist creator, Hiromu Arakawa, had collapsed at her home in Japan as she watched the special satellite broadcast of the cast announcements. But everyone involved with the film has been encouraged to learn, in recent days, that Arakawa is now in stable condition in hospital, under heavy sedation.

I guess this was an April Fools Joke but still. Imagine if it actually comes true. I would be so mad. I don't want some high - paid star to obtain the rights for FMA because they will surely butcher the story. They arenít even familiar with the characters or world. mad.gif

Again, as I said before, we need fans to create the film so the story remains as faithful to the original concept as possible. Iím working on a FMA script adaptation for my screenwriting class and have planned this project for over a year or so now. I was just waiting for the right time to get started. Iím almost done with the step-outline. I will post it up on the forums soon to receive feedback from everyone!!! Hollywood should not butcher this story!! Lets hope who ever obtains the rights will listen to the FMA fans. cool.gif

Two movies based on the subject of alchemy are going to be released in the next two years. The first one is THE ALCHEMIST by Paulo Coelho and The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott. They are currently in pre-production right now. So, it just might happen in the near future. Now, that the concept of alchemy is going to be introduced to people with these two films. Personally, I think FMA is way better than both of these books. I read both and enjoyed the books. However, FMA has a better plot and theme. Only time will tell!!
Chiyo
'The Alchemist' was the most pretentious piece of work I have ever read. It was lazy, all his books are pretty much the same, and why does everyone seem to think its changed their lives? Its not a Bible!

^Tom Cruise, really, I totally believe that is really real and NOT taking the piss out of those actors at all. Paris Hilton has always been on the right side of the law after all.

I don't think spoiler tags are needed
Gukumatz
Actually, I like that the anime and the manga went in different directions. I don't think you would be able to fit the entire plot-tastic awesomeness of the manga into a movie, even three movies a la Lord of the Rings. Like it or not, you'd have to cut a lot.

I'd rather that you cut and deviated while keeping to the spirit of FMA than that you tried to fit in all the "important" scenes in a choppy Harry Potter-esque movie fashion.

Go for flow, story, and Arakawa brilliance! The exact plot details don't matter very much by themselves.
live4him4eva
I don't know if I'd like a manga-based Live-action film, though it would be much more awesome to be able to watch the manga, than be able to watch the anime, since you already get to watch anime. Quite honestly, I prefer the plotline of the anime more. I prefer the manga overall though, for characterization, intricacy of the plot, minor details, and overall creativity. But that's just me. :3 I prefer things to be more realistic, and the anime is more realistic than the manga, (in the sense that it isn't as fantasy-based as the manga is, the characters, however, are more realistic in the manga.)

OT:
If Jim Carrey was cast as Hughes, I would die of happiness. My favorite actor of all time, as my favorite character of all time. I would surely have a fangasm. No matter how badly they butchered the movie.

I would murder people however, if they did cast Paris Hilton as Riza. I would go on an absolute rampage. If not, just assassinate her, and then wait until they re-casted Riza. xD
Citteh
LMAO That movie things HAS to be a joke! Honestly that whole article is just ridiculous! sarcastic.gif

As for the movie thing I think they would totally butcher it. It would be awful. As much as I would love to see a live action movie I think they would do a horrific job. And even with three movies I think it would still be rushed. Also I would be really worried about what actors they would choose. I am sure they would portray some people totally wrong!

That is just my opinion though. -shrug-
oneangredwarf
i think a live action movie would be awesome but they have to do it right or its going to come out horrible, i for one think that it would never be an oscar nominated film but maybe a big summer blockbuster which is alright for me ::thinks about ironman:: (awesome movie) if they do think of creating one i hope they dont make it suck as bad as spider man 3 and i think everyone could agree with that!
-liz
APalchemist5
Agreeeeeeeddddd

If fullmetal alchemist becomes a spider man three equivalent....i will murder everyone involved with the movie smile.gif

Also...i feel like i am going to get shot, but would it be ok if josh hartnett was Roy?

Dont Hurt Me!
Popogeejo
Also...i feel like i am going to get shot, but would it be ok if josh hartnett was Roy?

You are aware of what Roy looks like right? Note his Asian appearance and think why generic actor guy may not fit the part.
Chiyo
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ May 7 2008, 09:59 PM) *

You are aware of what Roy looks like right? Note his Asian appearance and think why generic actor guy may not fit the part.

That, and my little finger is a better actor
APalchemist5
He he,

I only like three actors, Russel Crowe, Christian Bale, and Josh Hartnett

I was trying to squeeze them into this figurative movie whatever way I could smile.gif

(good thing I didn't mention that I wanted Christian Bale to be Ed and Russle Crowe to be Al)

(i am just kidding) (seriously)

Oh, for the two that are writing the movie, how far have you gotten on it? Oh and where are you going to, or did you post the screen play? I would love to read it, but I think I will keep my casting calls to myself smile.gif

kag19
Still working on script! cool.gif
ElricKeyblade
Hey, I have a question..would Shia LaBeouf be able to fit anywhere in this film? I mean, he is a pretty good actor when it comes to introducing the funny. He certainly won't be able to be Ed, but...hmm...I don't know.

It WOULD be really cool if a Live-action FMA movie came out. However, I am also worried about the same thing almost eveyone here is: Hollywood butchering. It's horrible, folks. Plus you gotta make sure you got the right director for the special effects and stuff...ah, listen to me. Talking like I have any experience in this field. tongue.gif

Well, later days. biggrin.gif
APalchemist5
I agree, actually I think everyone agrees. Who ever comes in and says "actually i would love to see hollywood totally butcher Fullmetal Alchemist" will...not...deserve...to...live!

lol

Concerning your cast selection, I think he could fit in, maybe as havoc or some minor character(again I put up a disclaimer, this is my opinion! dont hurt me!!!)

(and no, I dont consider putting some known actors in as minor characters as butchering Fullmetal Alchemist, so I still believe I deserve to live)
Petra
As much as I would love to see FMA as a live-action movie, I'm terrifed that they would totally ruin the story. I mean, just look at what they did to the Spiderwick books! I LOVED those books and they just messed it up with the movie(in my opinion, don't kill me!). Yet...I sometimes wonder.....if they DID make a FMA live-action movie...who would play Envy?
allykatty1
Yup, we're still working on it! Still on outline stage (I, for one, started by reading up a lot on real life alchemy for reference), but once we do have a script, I don't know that it will be a good idea to post it here, just for protection's sake.
While I doubt anyone but FMA fans frequent this board, I think we'd be safer only sharing it with a select few people here in LA with whom we want to collaborate and we think we can trust. I'm pretty sure I had one of my own original script ideas stolen already and I've only been at it professionally for a couple years now. tongue.gif In fact, being a youngin' with few credits makes it far more difficult to protect your work. For example, I can't sue the company I think stole my idea because even if I had absolute proof, I would likely alienate myself and ruin my career before if even got off the ground. Such is the unfortunate politics of Hollywood. sleep.gif
FMA would be particularly tough to protect considering we don't actually have the rights to it yet... but we'll certainly let you all know if we have any major breakthroughs (like getting said rights, for example)! biggrin.gif
CodenameElizabeth
Hey, if there was to be a fan-made live action FMA spoof/independent film/whatever, I would TOTALLY be able to audition, RIGHT???? laugh.gif

(You know... like "Fullmetal Fantasy".)

Any big movie company should keep their hands off of FMA.
However, the idea of a manga-version of the animated series would be quite intriguing. (Although you KNOW it will never happen.) But really, I just want to see some of my favorite manga characters like Ling, Olivia, and Meichan in anime form.
Tombow
^ I wanna see Liz as Riza, Chinry Chiyo as Winry, and Toby as Envy!! laugh.gif

So... any progress report on this project? ^^
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Tombow @ Jun 26 2008, 02:41 PM) *
^ I wanna see Liz as Riza, Chinry Chiyo as Winry, and Toby as Envy!! laugh.gif

And you can't forget Rynn as Lust and Cat as Olivia... XD
And I'll throw out my vote for Kiarrens as Ed because she is incredibly dedicated to her character.

Alright. So what we need to do is get a huge group of cosplayers from the FMA.com boards here and make a fan film. AMIRITE? laugh.gif
Chiyo
^Stroke of genius, we'll meet up and film in Germany, clearly the best setting (and far easier for me to get to, haha!)
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Jun 27 2008, 05:44 AM) *
^Stroke of genius, we'll meet up and film in Germany, clearly the best setting (and far easier for me to get to, haha!)

I see what you did there... laugh.gif

But yeah. Germany.
Just like the FMA Movie!!!

(I've always wanted to drink beer in Germany... but I digress... back on-topic...)
kag19
QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Jun 25 2008, 03:20 PM) *
Hey, if there was to be a fan-made live action FMA spoof/independent film/whatever, I would TOTALLY be able to audition, RIGHT???? laugh.gif

(You know... like "Fullmetal Fantasy".)

Any big movie company should keep their hands off of FMA.
However, the idea of a manga-version of the animated series would be quite intriguing. (Although you KNOW it will never happen.) But really, I just want to see some of my favorite manga characters like Ling, Olivia, and Meichan in anime form.

This week, Viz pictures announced they are planning to produce several live action anime feature films. Fox has also announced they are working on a live action Cowboy Bebop film. So hopefully, in the near future, we will definitely see a live action FMA film. wink.gif

Hereís whom I would cast for the part of Ling Yao:

Shin Koyamada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Koyamada

CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(kag19 @ Jul 26 2008, 03:49 PM) *

HAWT!!!! this.gif
HisshouBuraiKen
Here's your Sloth - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Jones_(wrestler)
Reika
I would LOVE to see a manga based live action movie from hollywood.

I almost DIED when I read the casting... it was like "what the hell!!! that guy's Roy!! Roy's more sexy than that!!!" lmao. And specially with Ed and Al....

How about this one for roy?
http://asian-actor.blogspot.com/2008/01/st...thai-actor.html

:drools:
SageSwan
Bill Kaulitz should SOOOO play Envy. He would just be perfect- look him up. He has the hair, the voice, the body, everything. smile.gif)
That article cracked me up.

edit: my friend and I already have the perfect cast lol
Alphonse: Gustav Schšfer
Ed: Andreas [don't know his last name but people who like TH might know who that is]
Winry: Nathalie Franz
Pride: Tom Kaulitz
Armstrong: Georg Listing
Envy: Bill Kaulitz
wink.gif

And instead of Ready Steady Go, the theme song would be Ready Set Go. PERFECT
elemdai
Not to crowd the topic, but I'm a Film Student and I'm working on a screenplay for FMA as well. However, instead of doing a strict adaptation of either the manga or the anime, I'm taking elements from both and making a slightly new story. Don't worry, I'm keeping all the core elements and whatnot, but I think it would be more of an adventure for everyone to not know what happens between point A and point B.

Anyhoo, if Kag19 or Allykatty1 want to bounce ideas back and forth, I'm all for it (that and I've hit a bit of writer's block tongue.gif)
kag19
Awesome. Email me back!
daggertrepe
Izumi should be played by Sandra Bullock,

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/pod...dra-bullock.jpg

no?
elemdai
No, she doesn't quite fit the role if you ask me. Plus, by the time this movie gets made, Sandra will be too old IMHO. The only role that I'm passionate about is I want Keanu Reeves as Mustang. Make fun of me if you will, but you know that if you think about it that he would fit the part.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.