Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 91 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
HisshouBuraiKen
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 91 here. smile.gif

For info on the "Reading Reference", go to page 3.

==========================

Since the forum was down when the chapter came out, everything's pretty much done tongue.gif Here's a scanlation by Hitsugaara, translated as always by yours truly, HisshouBuraiKen. Enjoy and discuss!

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/91/01/

<Last edited by Michiyo- on Feb. 26, 2012>
Munou_No_MustangTaisa
Thanks for sharing this with us~

Though I already read it when they 1st released it at hagarenbbs

Darn still no Mustang Taisa action :-(

But at least we can see Aru finally getting some chance to kick some arse
Also Mei as well lolz

Yay Edo and Aru's dad is gonna get some fighting going on

Now we are still missing Lin / Greed, Mustang, Wrath

Prays for Arakawa Sensei to gives us some Taisa Action next chapter >:-]
Go Go Mustang Tachi!! XDD
Blysse
I am so happy right now, it's not even funny. I cannot wait for that Hoho V Father showdown!
Hey
May's back! (Not that I totally obsess over her or anything, but she was gone for forever)
I liked the part where Sloth totally smooshed the officer. And Olivia is awesome as usual.

Oh, and the one-eye zombie things. It was cool when one of them had their head hanging from their neck and was still walking. 8D
Animeoldtimer
I liked how Al shined in this chapter and Ed's line on page 33 to Scar:

"Hearing you agree with me makes me mad for some reason."

biggrin.gif
Maphisto40
I almost cried when I found out the forum was down right when a new chapter was out to discuss!!!!!

Alphonse totally stole that chapter. A pissed-off, Philosopher's Stone-fueled Al was exactly what this manga needed. I cannot wait to see what he does against Pride and Kimblee!

Because I'm such a weirdo, I actually laughed out loud when Sloth squished that officer. What the heck is Olivia going to do, when it took tanks, tank fuel, and subzero temperatures just to slow him down before? ohmy.gif

I knew Envy would escape (yay!), and now I truly hope Mei gets her reward for bringing him back.......a nice, painful reward.

The Immortal Army is just gross! How do you fight things that can survive their head hanging off, looking like Nearly Headless Nick?

Hohenheim vs Father.......Hell yeah! The one fight aside from Al vs Pride and Kimblee that I most want to see!

I think Ran Fan got stuck in an air duct somewhere....too many doughnuts. rolleyes.gif
Amaya Hawkeye
Has anyone been able to translate the article at the end of the chapter?
edxwinryfan
sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif Once again i was upset cause Winry was not in this chapter and of course there was no EdxWinry crybaby.gif
RoyxRizaFan
I was like, "What, no way!" when this site vanished JUST in time for the new chappie...

It was an awesome chapter, though. I'm shocked Al would take the stone, though, so I'm not sure I'm completely buying it quite yet. It just seems so out of character. He's talked over and over again about not wanting to use the stone, and then the second he gets his hands on one he 'uses it'? IDK, we'll see...I'll be a little confused if he actually used it. I look forward to his battle with Pride and Kimblee, though...Oh jeez, viele Gluck, Al!

Mei is FINALLY back. Sure, she did something totally lame and is about to get her @$$ kicked but STILL! Welcome back, girl!

Olivia pwns once again LMAO

And I thank our dear Arakawa for the sketchiest page ever.
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/91/36/ ROFL So good...
Maphisto40
QUOTE (edxwinryfan @ Jan 12 2009, 12:12 PM) *
sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif Once again i was upset cause Winry was not in this chapter and of course there was no EdxWinry crybaby.gif

Have faith! We will get our EdxWin fix before this manga is over, or I will personally grill a steak a la Arakawa! wink.gif
Blysse
QUOTE (Maphisto40 @ Jan 12 2009, 12:54 PM) *

Have faith! We will get our EdxWin fix before this manga is over, or I will personally grill a steak a la Arakawa! wink.gif

ohmy.gif No! Ah, I will scream if there's another hint of Edvy! D<

DO NOT WANT!

I read this for the sexiness that is Edward action and plot--not for romance! O_< 'S not Shojo!
Sannom
He's talked over and over again about not wanting to use the stone, and then the second he gets his hands on one he 'uses it'?

Dunno about that... he doesn't want to use it for his personal gain, he doesn't want to seek it anymore. But to use it in order to save his life and Heinkel's life? It doesn't seem so out of character to me.

Mei is FINALLY back. Sure, she did something totally lame and is about to get her @$$ kicked but STILL! Welcome back, girl!

Her @$$ kicked? By Envy? Seriously? Envy is like the lamest fighter of the entire manga, how can you expect him to beat anyone easily laugh.gif ? Oh he can win, but it won't be easy...
RoyxRizaFan
I like EdWin, I really do, but I don't see any coming soon, seeing how the plot is moving. You never know with Arakawa, but that last farwell seemed final until after everything is wrapped up.

@ Sannom: You make good points. Sometimes I underestimate our dear Mei because of her size. Has she fought one on one with a homonculi before, though? And Envy has been entirely rejuvenated. I know she's fought with them before, but she didn't do too great then. I will cross my fingers for her and hope for the best, though! tongue.gif

As for Al, I'm not certain yet, but we'll see! happy.gif
Daydreamer_Alchemist
QUOTE (Blysse @ Jan 12 2009, 01:29 AM) *
I am so happy right now, it's not even funny. I cannot wait for that Hoho V Father showdown!

I can't wait for that fight either! X3 It's going to be epic!
Maphisto40
QUOTE (Blysse @ Jan 12 2009, 01:11 PM) *
QUOTE (Maphisto40 @ Jan 12 2009, 12:54 PM) *

ohmy.gif No! Ah, I will scream if there's another hint of Edvy! D<

DO NOT WANT!

I read this for the sexiness that is Edward action and plot--not for romance! O_< 'S not Shojo!

Hey, I didn't write EdxWin, Arakawa-sensei did! It's her fault for making it canon, and making me interested in it! tongue.gif Though I must say that this is the first Shounen manga since Rurouni Kenshin to make me give a crap about a pairing (I loved KenshinxKaoru).

QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ Jan 12 2009, 02:02 PM) *
I like EdWin, I really do, but I don't see any coming soon, seeing how the plot is moving. You never know with Arakawa, but that last farwell seemed final until after everything is wrapped up.

Oh I agree! If anything happens, it will almost definitely be after the main plot is finished. Like a footnote, as it were. I just hate it when a writer builds a relationship up, but then leaves it totally hanging at the end. I require closure! I know you can do it Arakawa-sensei! wink.gif
Blysse
QUOTE (Daydreamer_Alchemist @ Jan 12 2009, 03:22 PM) *
QUOTE (Blysse @ Jan 12 2009, 01:29 AM) *

I can't wait for that fight either! X3 It's going to be epic!

Epic is an understatement. ohmy.gif
Maphisto40
Speaking of Father vs Hohenheim....

What do you guys think of the theory that Father will somehow absorb all the sacrifices, and the final battle will take place INSIDE him? Is that just too out there? I don't know what to expect anymore, lmao! happy.gif
Blysse
QUOTE (Maphisto40 @ Jan 12 2009, 04:59 PM) *

What do you guys think of the theory that Father will somehow absorb all the sacrifices, and the final battle will take place INSIDE him? Is that just too out there? I don't know what to expect anymore, lmao! happy.gif

Man... that would be pretty sweet. I mean, there was already that bit with Ed, Ling, and Envy inside of Gluttony. And if Gluttony was made from Father, then Father should be able to do the same thing, eh? Damn, that would be so sa-weet! *Squeal*
jacksparrow589
Re: Final Battle inside Father: That'd be... interesting. I don't think it'll happen, though.

I was seriously angry this chapter. Just when I thought we were rid of Envy for good, he's ba-ack! I about died. I wanna see Mei and Envy fight, though. Has he seen her fight yet? I think he's in for a bit of a shock if he hasn't.

Al made me happy, though. I was literally on the edge of my seat for the first part of that scene, and I let out quite the happy yell when he got that stone. WAY TO GO, AL!

Scar and Ed were funny, too. I love how Ed's angry that they agree. Sooo like him.

Father and Hoho's interation was great, too. I was smirking at the end of the chapter.

I wanna see Greed!Ling and RanFan's reunion, though. I can totally see her attacking him because she senses a homunculus. But wait... wouldn't she know it's him, anyway? Hmmm... Must do research.
Maphisto40
QUOTE (Blysse @ Jan 12 2009, 05:05 PM) *
QUOTE (Maphisto40 @ Jan 12 2009, 04:59 PM) *

Man... that would be pretty sweet. I mean, there was already that bit with Ed, Ling, and Envy inside of Gluttony. And if Gluttony was made from Father, then Father should be able to do the same thing, eh? Damn, that would be so sa-weet! *Squeal*

Sweet and probably really, really gross! Maybe not in the same way as Gluttony was gross, because all that blood was there from all the people/animals/chimeras he ate.

Then again, that theory may be too similar to the ending of the InuYasha manga, where the final battle was fought inside of Naraku after he absorbed the Shikon no Tama and grew really huge.....maybe that's where the idea popped into my head from. Bah, dangit! I don't care, it would still be epic! tongue.gif
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
wow that is a great chapter. i can't wait for the next chapter to come out. happy.gif happy.gif happy.gif
mazam
Man oh man what a chapter. Very action packed and edge of your seat excitement. Good stuff. biggrin.gif I'm very excited to see what Alphonse is up to. I also thought it was a bit weird he used the stone, or so it appears. Maybe in the heat of it, Al realized there was no other way or thought of what Ed said about thinking of the souls as mindless energy.

On one hand I'm glad Envy is back and on the other I'm not. A part of me thinks he'll be gotten rid of just as quick as Gluttony did with Pride. I wonder what GreedLing is doing? I think last we saw him it suggested he was going after Father since he was an easy target at the time. I wonder if he'll drop in and help Hohenheim or maybe take the glory? And that's when Ranfan comes in somehow? Huh, along with that I wonder if Father looking older then Hohenheim will come to play during the face off?

If we get Roy and his crew back next chapter, I wonder if Wrath will make an appearance? I do think his wife is his weakness. Remember early on when he told Roy his "son" could never be his weakness and then how Wrath pointed out to Hawkeye that his wife was the one choice he made? I feel that's why Roy "kidnapped" her and if Wrath gets wind of that, after the train bombing, I think he'll be very angry. And we all know those suffering the sin of Wrath/Anger don't tend to keep a level head. Thus contributing to his defeat... or maybe a team up with Roy? ohmy.gif

. . .

Is it February yet?
AA battery
to hell with EdWin. We all know that a big chunk of FMA's profit comes from pockets of BL fangirls.

Sooo happy with Al + (imperfect) philosopher's stone. Kimbley still has the better stone though, so this is gonna be a tough battle... That was quite unexpected though =D I thought Ed would be the one ending up with the imperfect stone (and faces epic dilemma about whether or not to use it) while Al is more of a... hmm, how should I put it, doesn't waste as much time pondering about stuff and just get straight to business? <3 Yay for plot twist~

May is finally back! Poor girl though, being used by evil Envy D< DIE ENVY DIE.

Hoho-papa VS Father! That's what we've all been waiting for!

Can someone lend me a time travel machine?
Cece
This chapter was. Badass. Mei you better step it up or run. All the Mei haters are probably celebrating because she's the one who let Envy out. I still love you Mei but you better make up for this screw up. You know I always wanted to see Alphonse P.O ed. It's scary.
Artixte
I was lmao when Mei had let go of Envy. I can't wait to see Envy crush her the fight. Mei's cute a cute character with some badass combat skills don't get me wrong. But I hope to see either Envy crush her or Mei save herself from something totally dangerous for once (high expectations I know)...She'll probably be saved again by someone, like Edward or Scar...

And Alphonse....*shudders with excitement* I definitely can't wait to seem him kick some butt. That last picture of him was so..thrilling X3
HisshouBuraiKen
QUOTE (Maphisto40 @ Jan 12 2009, 01:38 PM) *
Alphonse totally stole that chapter. A pissed-off, Philosopher's Stone-fueled Al was exactly what this manga needed. I cannot wait to see what he does against Pride and Kimblee!

Same here - plus, nothing pleases me more when Al gets pushed too far and slips into talking like Ed XD
Artixte
Same here! That's how we know for dam sure that they're brothers, bwahaha!
lunneth
i just cant believe hiromu used the c word and al has teh stone yyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeellllllllllllzzzzzzzzz
Gukumatz
It occurred to me just now that Sloth going after Olivia means that Father knows that Olivia turned against him. Sloth says (translated by H.): "They said... stop you..."

"They" includes Father, I assume. Unless Sloth - this second thought occurs to me now as I write - unless Sloth is taking orders from the other generals.

I read the chapter quickly the first time and I just took it for granted that Sloth = bad guy, and that Olivia needed someone to fight, so Sloth appearing seemed appropriate. On a more careful reading, I realize that a lot of people must know about Olivia's rebellion by now. Mustang's was already extremely public. Chapter 90 was Briggs soldiers appearing. This chapter 91 is Olivia crossing the point of no return. She's a public rebel, now. (Yay!)
edo little kid
Envy back yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!
Kryanka
QUOTE (HisshouBuraiKen @ Jan 14 2009, 04:04 PM) *
Same here - plus, nothing pleases me more when Al gets pushed too far and slips into talking like Ed XD

I wish I knew japanese just to be able to understand Al changing his language to match Ed...

Can anyone explain me the difference in how they talk? Is it about that -san, -kun, -sensei thingies?
HisshouBuraiKen
QUOTE (Kryanka @ Jan 16 2009, 03:01 PM) *
Can anyone explain me the difference in how they talk? Is it about that -san, -kun, -sensei thingies?

No, no, it's more of the verb conjugations, the words used, and how they say it. In this case, Al would have usually said 動くんだ (ugokun da!) to yell at his legs or tell something to get moving, but in this case he went with くっそ~、動けこの足! (kussssooo, ugoke kono ashi!) which is basically "You have to move" versus, "Goddamnit move, you stupid legs!" biggrin.gif

@Gokumatz - I'm not sure Sloth necessarily knows (or has a brain physically capable of knowing) that much, I think he just saw trouble and thought "Gotta stop trouble. She trouble."

::smash::

"Me stop you."

It is ambiguous though as Sloth is a homunculus of few words, so we'll have to wait on that.
Maphisto40
QUOTE (HisshouBuraiKen @ Jan 17 2009, 07:33 AM) *

No, no, it's more of the verb conjugations, the words used, and how they say it. In this case, Al would have usually said 動くんだ (ugokun da!) to yell at his legs or tell something to get moving, but in this case he went with くっそ~、動けこの足! (kussssooo, ugoke kono ashi!) which is basically "You have to move" versus, "Goddamnit move, you stupid legs!" biggrin.gif

@Gokumatz - I'm not sure Sloth necessarily knows (or has a brain physically capable of knowing) that much, I think he just saw trouble and thought "Gotta stop trouble. She trouble."

"Me stop you."

It is ambiguous though as Sloth is a homunculus of few words, so we'll have to wait on that.

That's awesome! Japanese is such a complex language with so many more nuances than English, so we lose too much in translation....boo. I'm glad we have you around to point out the subtle differences, Hisshou! tongue.gif

Sloth is somehow cool to me. He's funny, and predictable to a point. I want to know more about him!
Kryanka
QUOTE (HisshouBuraiKen @ Jan 17 2009, 04:33 PM) *

Thanks! I think I get it. It's like when you read translations by different people and one of them uses elegant, polite language and the other some teen slang. I read as many translations as I can find. I love how much we can learn of the characters just by reading them speak.

Isn't it awesome that brothers who are so close can use so different language? It's like Al was determined not to mimic Ed in his slang and be polite in spite of Ed's fiery attitude. Or for himself AND Ed biggrin.gif

In polish translation (which I think is awesome) brothers use both informal and formal language, depending on situation. Ed is informal and vulgar MUCH more often tough. In fact, Ed is informal as default and Al is polite even in tense situations. Sometimes they look like they played good and bad cop, both of them determined to win, cooperating with the same thing in mind but Al still being polite. As Al once said, sometimes he wants to get mad but Ed and Winry always do it before he has a chance to begin.
mazam
Very interesting about the differences in how they talk. I'm now interested in comparing Ed and Al's talk to that of Hohenheim and Trisha (though she hasn't gotten much talk). Hohenheim mention's Ed being just like him when he was little but does Hohenheim's choice of words now still match with Ed despite being older? Maybe Al matches Trisha's speech pattern?
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
hey maybe that would be so cool if that was true. and from what i understand and read........ alphonse is like his mother and edward is like the father. lol
Sensenic
Suddenly FMA became a shonen manga!

Al vs Pride and Hoho (Serious!)
Armstrong vs Sloth! (I hope little brother comes to the help/rescue! And so my prediction Armstrong vs Sloth, ultimate brute force match, would be fulfilled happy.gif )
(Silly silly) Mei vs Envy!

And of course

PS vs PS! Sage vs Sage! Dad vs Dad!
The Battle To End All Battles! XD

Very exciting!

BTW, I'm looking for a downloadable version of the raws for this chapter and 90... Better quality than the ones posted in that hagarenbbs if possible...
a-a battery? Anyone has?
Pretty pls? -teary eyes-

EDIT: Forget I asked... How could I forget about mangahelpers.... sleep.gif; happy.gif;
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
wow that is so cool. i so can't wait for the next chapter to come out and see what happens.
Hagane no Baka
It was a tense chapter. The whole angry/determined Al thing kind of surprised me but then again it's been about time Al put his foot down. Can't wait till Kimbley's ... is gonna get kicked, although it will be tough since Pride is there too. I wonder if we'll get to see any special attacks from him like with Envy or Gluttony. Then again he's strong and creepy as it is^

I also look forward to see some mad sword fighting from Olivia and Hohenheim in action. Though I find the last one kind of hard to imagine since Hohenheim is such a big softy. I hope we'll get to see some more of Izumi coz I've missed her 'housewife' action biggrin.gif
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
QUOTE (Hagane no Baka @ Feb 4 2009, 11:54 AM) *
I hope we'll get to see some more of Izumi coz I've missed her 'housewife' action biggrin.gif

omg i completly forgot that. lol thanks for that. man that would be so cool to see her beat eeveryone that is at the brigss fortress. happy.gif happy.gif happy.gif
lunneth
QUOTE (Maphisto40 @ Jan 17 2009, 12:53 PM) *
QUOTE (HisshouBuraiKen @ Jan 17 2009, 07:33 AM) *

"Me stop you."

That's awesome! Japanese is such a complex language with so many more nuances than English, so we lose too much in translation....boo. I'm glad we have you around to point out the subtle differences, Hisshou! tongue.gif

Sloth is somehow cool to me. He's funny, and predictable to a point. I want to know more about him!

wow. i wonder what exactly they could be saying(wink wink nudge nudge). please dont kill me
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
i was always wondering about that too. i was always curious about sloth and what he is saying.
Michiyo-
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 91 here. smile.gif

Those who have already read further chapters are also welcome to join the discussions, but please do not post any future chapter content on this thread.

This thread is Spoiler Party thread for chapter 91 content, meaning, posters do not have to use Spoiler tags while posting about chapter 91 content on this thread. smile.gif

For the reading reference, please send a PM to A Pierrot's Aria and ask for "Reading Reference Assistance for week 86."
(For more detailed explanation on this, please read Tombow's post here.)

Thank you, A Pierrot’s Aria, for all your help!! ^^
Michiyo-
reserved for chapter information
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.