Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which CoS Death Was The Most Moving/emotional For You?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > FMA Conqueror of Shambala Movie
Blysse
Since there was "Which Anime death was the most moving?", I decided to open up a version of it for the character deaths in CoS. (And feel free to tell me if I missed anybody, too!)

So, whose death was most tragic? Made you cry the most?

For me, it's a close race between Wrath and Heiderich.

I cried pretty bad when Wrath died, because of how selflessly the little guy sacrificed himself to help Al. And then being reunited with his 'Mother' after just made me bawl senselessly.

As for Heiderich, yes, I was sad. And moved. And I screamed at the TV and wanted to throw things at it because they'd killed off my precious Alfons. But, in retrospect, I can see why they did it. For the ending to happen as it did, with Al coming to Our World with Ed, Heiderich would have to be gone. There can't be two Al's, right? Because Heiderich is Our World's counterpart to Al, and it just wouldn't be right for both of them to exist in the same reality.

So, guys. Share with me. Whose death got to you?
Artixte
^ Same here, I'm so torn between Alfons Heiderich and Wrath. Both of them devastated me, but I might be leaning more towards Alfons' death since Wrath purposefully brought his death upon himself.

I thought it'd be pretty awesome if both Alphonses/Alfonses were to meet each other, then they could annoy the hell out of Edward.
Rainshine
Alfons and Wrath's deaths were both really sad for me, because they had both grown to be such lovable characters.
I think they were both about the same level of sadness for me.
That would be awesome if the two Alphonses met each other. tongue.gif
Popogeejo
Alphonse's death would have been sad had he any personality but as such his death didn't have much effect. Izumi's would have been sad if it hadn't been a side note.
Wrath wins by default really.
Nichokiu
Definitely Alphons! sad.gif

I was glad that Wrath died- to me that was looooooong overdue...
Rainshine
But Wrath turned good and sweet in the end!
And he helped Alphonse get his brother back..
Sure Wrath was kind of a brat in the episodes, but in the movie he was really awesome.
Archiver
Alfons. His whole reasoning behind what he did with his sickness was what anybody else would do, it was sad to see him leave.

I admit Wrath sacrificing himself was nice and all, but I don't like him. I don't like his character. Concept, yes, but he is really whiny.

Now, Hohenheim is pretty close to Alfons. He did a lot of wrongs in his life, but he tried to recitify these mistakes. I'm saddened that Ed and him never really connected and then with the crunch of a jaw, it was all over.

I voted Alfons, but thinking it over, my vote goes to Hohenheim.
Rainshine
Hohenheim's death was pretty sad too, but I wish that they had let the audience get to know him better in the anime. dry.gif
Because if he's an awesome character, but they don't show any of that in the anime, then his death doesn't really mean much.

Izumi's death is sad too.. she was sooooo awesome! I just wish that it hadn't been a side note.
sad.gif
Saving_Grace
I can't believe no one voted for Hoho! I suppose Heiderich was just more loved (I voted for him).

I didn't really find Wrath's death moving, I was too busy wondering why he and Izumi were naked. As for Envy? Meh, it's hard to feel sympathy for a giant snake.
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
well i am going to make easier on every one and say that i was sad when everyone in the movie died. i was so upset when that happen.
Blysse
QUOTE (Rain-Alchemist @ Jan 23 2009, 07:11 PM) *
Hohenheim's death was pretty sad too, but I wish that they had let the audience get to know him better in the anime. dry.gif
Because if he's an awesome character, but they don't show any of that in the anime, then his death doesn't really mean much.

I know. They really... well, slaughtered any chance of Hohenheim being likable in the anime. They gave him terrible reasons for everything he did in regards to the Stone, he abandoned his sons twice. Whereas in the manga, he's actually a pretty decent guy. He actually heals people with himself (being the Stone and all), he makes an effort with Al when they meet up, and now (the end of chapter 92) he's about to go and do something that will, most likely, kill him just to save everybody else. Not to mention that in the manga, he didn't choose to become 'immortal'. It was forced upon him by Homunculus. He's just so much easier to like and feel sympathy for in the manga then the anime. =/
Broken Chouchou
QUOTE (Saving_Grace @ Jan 24 2009, 07:39 AM) *
I can't believe no one voted for Hoho! I suppose Heiderich was just more loved (I voted for him).

I didn't really find Wrath's death moving, I was too busy wondering why he and Izumi were naked. As for Envy? Meh, it's hard to feel sympathy for a giant snake.

I felt a combinaton of relief and satisfaction when Wrath died. I mean, he's basically just a wimpier, whinier version of Envy through the whole anime. I know his persona changed a little bit in the movie, but that doesn't make up for all his past annoyance, nor his uncreative appearance. Plus, he killed Lust, who along with Gluttony and Greed is my favourite homunculus. Bastard...
Claudius
QUOTE (Blysse @ Jan 28 2009, 02:16 PM) *
I know. They really... well, slaughtered any chance of Hohenheim being likable in the anime. They gave him terrible reasons for everything he did in regards to the Stone, he abandoned his sons twice.
I dunno, I rather liked AnimeHohenheim. Here is a apparently evil man who was redeemed by the love of Trisha and their children (His confrontation with Sloth, and his reminisces...that won me over).
And he abandoned them once. The second time was to help his kids. He thought Dante was way out of their league, and decided to deal with her himself, as a father would do. It's not his fault Dante had a secret weapon and sent him to another world.
Blysse
QUOTE (Claudius @ Jan 29 2009, 05:12 PM) *
I know. They really... well, slaughtered any chance of Hohenheim being likable in the anime. They gave him terrible reasons for everything he did in regards to the Stone, he abandoned his sons twice.
I dunno, I rather liked AnimeHohenheim. Here is a apparently evil man who was redeemed by the love of Trisha and their children (His confrontation with Sloth, and his reminisces...that won me over).
And he abandoned them once. The second time was to help his kids. He thought Dante was way out of their league, and decided to deal with her himself, as a father would do. It's not his fault Dante had a secret weapon and sent him to another world.

The second time I was referring to was during CoS, when he abandoned Edward for a second time. I completely agree that that part in the anime series was him trying to help them.
Rainshine
QUOTE (Blysse @ Jan 29 2009, 05:30 PM) *
QUOTE (Claudius @ Jan 29 2009, 05:12 PM) *

The second time I was referring to was during CoS, when he abandoned Edward for a second time. I completely agree that that part in the anime series was him trying to help them.

Yeah, I agree he helped Edward in the series, and when they were in our world, he sort of acted as a support to Ed, because he was the only other person from their world.
But, I still wish they gave him just a little more personality and background in the anime.
Claudius
QUOTE (Blysse @ Jan 29 2009, 06:30 PM) *
I wouldn't call that abandonment. The series ended with Edward leaving Hohenheim, not the other way around (I like the implication that father and son were somewhat close for those few months, especially in view of Ed's emotional/mental trauma- getting his body & soul constantly rearranged by the Gate, and being dead twice). Edward wanted to be on his own now. And I would think Hohenheim tried to help. Maybe he pulled some strings to get Edward accepted by that world's scientific society (like a recommendation letter to Dr. Oberth). Perhaps he worked with the Thule Society to find a way for his sons to reunite, not realizing the Society would use him as their pawn/prisoner.
Faithmemory
Wrath's Death was moving for me.. touchy... ate by gluttony... sad.gif poor kid. He was speaking less in the movie too, so kinda missed him.

also, alphonse heiderich's death too.. was just got shot so easily! >_< sad. he smiled after launching the rocket and got shot...
Forgiven
Did Roy die? They never really made that clear enough.
spectator
QUOTE (Forgiven @ Mar 10 2009, 06:11 PM) *

I don't think so. I recall that Roy is suppose to close the door from the alchemy world.
Forgiven
QUOTE (spectator @ Apr 22 2009, 10:23 PM) *
QUOTE (Forgiven @ Mar 10 2009, 06:11 PM) *

I don't think so. I recall that Roy is suppose to close the door from the alchemy world.

I know. But doesn't that mean he's going to have to die? Or maybe not. But how would he do it without dieing?
Mercy_Alchemist94
QUOTE (Forgiven @ Apr 22 2009, 10:42 PM) *
----
I know. But doesn't that mean he's going to have to die? Or maybe not. But how would he do it without dieing?

If Ed and Al can close the door without alchemy (And not die) and live I think Roy can to.

My theory is is that the 'permanent' doors are just links to The Gate, so they can destroy them without destroying the Gate.
sidekick.kep37
Wrath was great. In the anime, he was just an annoying pain, but in CoS, it seems he knows there's a bigger picture and acts much more mature and for the "greater good"; he has achange of heart. When he sacrificed himself, I was just absolutely torn. Anyone who dies for a cause greater than themselves, in my book, is a great being (even if it is just an anime). Wrath's death brought shivers up my spine. He was great. <3 Wrath....

lunneth
heiderichs death was pathetic. he was just killed off for al to come in and his death was nothing special. the most tragic was hohenheim in my opinion. he sacrificed himself and the ammount of tension i felt there. the blood was just unbelievable. i was watching that part and almost yelled "HOW MUCH?".......................yeah

wraths was pretty tragic too.
Mercy_Alchemist94
QUOTE (Lunneth elric @ Apr 23 2009, 06:41 AM) *
heiderichs death was pathetic. he was just killed off for al to come in and his death was nothing special. . .

Actually, I think because of that Alphonse's death was more tragic.
THAT and the fact that he was going to live a little bit longer had he not been shot. Also, he was tricked and died before he could really fulfill his dreams and leave a mark of himself behind like he wanted. And of course he died on shaky grounds with Ed since all he ever really treated him as was like a stand in for his brother.
sidekick.kep37
Kay, I got the permission from the writer! To all those who are interested in how Roy went about closing the Gate through, IMO, a talented writer, here is Apotheosis
Forgiven
QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Apr 23 2009, 04:35 PM) *
Kay, I got the permission from the writer! To all those who are interested in how Roy went about closing the Gate through, IMO, a talented writer, here is Apotheosis

Thank you.
ChillyPuce
Heiderich.

I think it was moving, how he sacrificed himself for Edward to return home. He probably knew he was going to be killed.

Though there were much more emotional scenes in the movie. It was especially saddening for me when Winry said "I guess this is goodbye for good.". Maybe it's just for me, but losing a childhood friend, and never be able to tell if he's alive or not is so depressive. I'd prefer him dead.
Rainshine
QUOTE (ChillyPuce @ Jun 6 2009, 10:59 PM) *
Though there were much more emotional scenes in the movie. It was especially saddening for me when Winry said "I guess this is goodbye for good.". Maybe it's just for me, but losing a childhood friend, and never be able to tell if he's alive or not is so depressive. I'd prefer him dead.

I know!!!! It's so sad how he just leaves everybody behind like that.
At the end of the movie I was just like:
"What!?!? That can't be the end! It's just.. no.. Waaahhh!!!"
Or you know something like that. rolleyes.gif
SpazzyAlFan
I find Alfons Heiderich's death more tragic. He never really got to accomplish his dream or atone for his mistakes. And his illness made it even worse.
Lieutenant Wrath
I think i actually cried the most in Wrath's death. Because my nickname is Wrath and he's my favourite homunculus (hint my name). I cried a lot in Alfons's death too, actually I was really shocked as well. I cried a lot in both, especially in Al's funeral, but I think i used up the most tissues in Wrath's.
Woops i accidentally clicked the view poll results buttons insteas of vote button, but I would of voted for Wrath. But both got to me. sad.gif Such a sad movie in parts. Why, WHY did they have to kill them!!! *screams at the sky*
I was also sad when they showed that Izumi had died.
With Hohenheim, the main thing is was thinking was "How much blood can one person have?!?!?!?!" Same as you Lunneth elric.
I also found some other parts tragic, like when it seemed that Al and Ed were going to be separated, but even though I knew they wouldn't be somehow, I was still screaming at the screen.
And with Winry how they wouldn't see each other again.
Yeah... sad.gif But still, I loved the movie!!
xMinty
I didn't cry for any of them.
*feels like a heartless cold person*
but,
wrath got to me he was my second favorite character!!!
Flamez_Freak
HOHENHEIM....(((((((((((((((
the guy's loss made me CRY
ShoOtaku
Alfons :/// he was so innocent
hoprabbit
Alfons was kinda sad, but he was a doormat in my opinion. I didn't care for him. =/

IZUMI. I love Izumi Curtis, and I just knew she was gonna be dead.....Lo and behold, she was. It didn't really linger, so for me, an Izumi fan, it was a little rip-offy. =/

Oh well.
Full Metal SHORTY!!!
I was sad when Alfons died... and Izumi

But I was sad when Edward died... I know he didn't die for a long time, but it was still sad.
Neurotripsy
Alfons, without a doubt. ;A;
ElricsLongLostSis13
QUOTE (Artixte @ Jan 1 2009, 11:27 AM) *
^ Same here, I'm so torn between Alfons Heiderich and Wrath. Both of them devastated me, but I might be leaning more towards Alfons' death since Wrath purposefully brought his death upon himself.

I thought it'd be pretty awesome if both Alphonses/Alfonses were to meet each other, then they could annoy the hell out of Edward.

That would have been so awesome if they'd met! I was actually screaming at the screen when Alfons died! (it was lucky no one was home! happy.gif ) And yeah, it was sad how wrath died! I don't entirely understand why gluttony went all strange and tentically though dry.gif but it was still sad...
ashley676
Hohenheim. it was sad seeing all that blood come out of him when the dragon bit him
Rainshine
I've watched CoS quite a few times, and I'd just like to say that I bawl every time at Alfons' death.
Every. Time. 8|
A Pierrot's Aria
^Same here! I voted Alfons. He was just so sweet and already clinging onto what life he had left as it is --and trying to make it count and leave his mark on the world. Then it's just cruelly snatched away from him when he helps a friend. (Put spoiler tags just in case!)
DarkMessenger
Envy, but just because he's my favorite character xD
Besides of that, it would be Alfons Heiderich. That was sad, although he kind of annoyed me...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.