Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragon Ball
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga > Let's discuss your fav manga series here!
Gashole
Yeah, yeah, DBZ has turned off many people, but that's the anime, not the manga. The manga is just awesome. cool.gif

Anyway, I just reread it and it occurred to me what a genius Kulilin is. In fighting, 1) he's one of the firsts of the main heroes who learns how to fly, 2) he invents many interesting forms of fireballs. Don't know the exact names, but there's one where his fireballs keep following the enemy (Piccolo), there's another where his fireballs kill almost all of the weird-alien-looking creatures Nappa planted, and finally there's the disk that cuts through a mountain and would've killed Nappa had Vegeta not yelled at him. Outside the battlefield, 1) he's the one who comes up with the idea of going to Namek and 2) figures out there must be another Saiyan spaceship they can use to go there.

When asked who my DBZ favorite character is, I'd usually say Gohan, but apparently that's not gonna be the case from now on. biggrin.gif
Too bad as a kid Kulilin was very arrogant. And later on (during the Bhu saga) that personality reemerges. Otherwise he's the best. tongue.gif

(Source: MangaFox)

Years of Released: 1984
Author: Toriyama Akira
Artist: Toriyama Akira
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Sci-fi, Shounen, Supernatural

Summary
The genius Bulma, while searching for the Dragon Balls which can grant any wish, meets a simple minded little boy with a strange monkey tail, Son Goku. Together, they meet many people and many foes in their adventure chasing after the Dragon Balls, with Son Goku progressively learning to be the best fighter.

Dragon Ball is loosely based on the Chinese story Saiyuki (Journey to the West) : for example, the main character is based on Son Goku the monkey king.

---

(Source: Wiki, Dragon Ball)

Dragon Ball is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Akira Toriyama. It was originally serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump from 1984 through 1995; later the 519 individual chapters were published into 42 tankōbon volumes by Shueisha. Dragon Ball was inspired by the Chinese folk novel Journey to the West. It follows the adventures of Son Goku from his childhood through adulthood as he trains in martial arts and explores the world in search of the seven mystical objects known as the Dragon Balls, which can summon a wish-granting dragon when gathered. Along his journey, Goku makes several friends and battles a wide variety of villains, many of whom also seek the Dragon Balls for their own desires.

Since its release, Dragon Ball has become one of the most popular manga series of its time in both Japan and North America. It enjoys a high readership, with over 150 million volumes of the series sold by 2007. Reviewers have praised the art, characterization, and humor of the story. Several manga artists have noted that the manga series was the inspiration for their own now popular works, including Naruto and One Piece.

Plot summary
The series begins with a monkey-tailed boy named Goku befriending a teenage girl named Bulma, and together they go on a quest to find the seven magic Dragon Balls. Along the way, they meet and befriend a plethora of martial artists. Goku also undergoes rigorous training regimes and educational programs in order to fight in the World Martial Arts Tournament, a competition involving the most powerful fighters- in the world. Outside the tournaments, Goku faces diverse villains such as Emperor Pilaf, the Red Ribbon Army, the namekian Piccolo Daimao and his offspring Piccolo Jr., who eventually becomes Goku's ally.

As a young man, Goku meets his older brother Raditz, who tells him that they come from a race of extraterrestrials called Saiyans. The Saiyans had sent Goku to Earth as an infant to conquer the planet for them, but he suffered a severe head injury soon after his arrival and lost all memory of his mission. Goku refuses to help Raditz continue the mission, after which he begins to encounter other enemies from space, most notably the Saiyan prince Vegeta, who becomes his rival due to Vegeta's ambitious desire to surpass Goku in strength, though in the procees, he eventually becomes Goku's ally as well. He also encounters Frieza, the galactic tyrant responsible for the destruction of the Saiyan race, whose actions cause Goku to transform into a mighty Super Saiyan. After an epic battle on the planet Namek, Goku defeats Frieza, avenging the lives of billions across the universe.

Four years later, a group of androids from the former Red Ribbon Army appear, seeking revenge against Goku. During this time, an evil life form called Cell emerges and, after absorbing two of the androids to increase his power, holds his own martial arts tournament to decide the fate of the Earth, but is eventually defeated by Goku's first child Son Gohan. Seven years later, Goku is drawn into another battle for the universe against a magical monster named Majin Buu. Joined by Vegeta and Gohan, Goku succeeds in destroying the evil half of Buu and the good half of Buu settles down with them. Ten years later, at another World Martial Arts Tournament, Goku meets the evil Buu's human reincarnation, Uub. At the end of the series, Goku takes Uub away on a journey to train him as the Earth's next defender.

Cloud28
i agree, the manga of DBZ is much better than the anime( anime is too slow, 4 eps with all yelling.... wink.gif ), my fav character is Trunks!!!!!!!
Kasumi
You know, Gashole, I would've never noticed all those things if you hadn't mentioned it. Krillin definitely deserves more credit than he gets.
Gashole
I just remembered that he is also the strongest human being in the universe. biggrin.gif
Kasumi
I don't know about that... Tien might be stronger than him...
Gashole
No, near the end when of the series (when Gohan is 16) Yamcha says so. biggrin.gif

It makes sense cause he always fights with Goku and Gohan while Tien not always.
Kasumi
Hm...Good point! biggrin.gif And I just realized how special Krillin is! His best friend is the strongest fighter in the universe and his wife was at one point one of the unstoppable androids.
Kihaku
Well.... the manga is actually called just Dragon Ball (the American version has named the latter part DBZ), but whatever.
I prefer the "DBZ" part of it for some reason... I like the feeling, the plot.. maybe also because my favourite characters are in major roles in those parts. Oh.. they are Trunks, Piccolo, Vegeta, Vegetto, Gotenks, Yamcha... jeez I have many favourites... but DB does have quite a few characters and they are all so well created.

I even like the plot, which doesn't drag so much in the manga and the art(even though I can't really judge) is much better too.
There are many great themes to be found and all in all the whole series is very entertaining and captivating...
I used to be so addicted to it and still read the volumes all over again(recently did).

About Kuririn... yeah he is a really great character. It's a pity that he, like some others, lose their significance towards the end. It seems to be just the Saiyans then... one thing I don't like about DB, but it still continues to be my favourite manga series!
But hmmm wasn't Kuririn/Krillin one of the last to learn how to fly? If you don't count the younger ones. Tien ,Chaouzu,Piccolo, Goku, very much likely Vegeta(although there isn't proof) all knew before him..
His wife is stronger than him... that's so cool! Really.
Kasumi
No, the manga was called DBZ. Actually, it was both, DB and DBZ. DB was about Goku as a child...
It was called DBZ after the birth of Gohan. (If I recall correctly, Z started with Goku's brother kidnapping Gohan, right?)
Kihaku
No, no, no... it's the anime that was divided like that. The American manga has however divided the manga also.
The anime DB is based on the first 16 books and part of the 17th.
The anime DBZ is based on the rest of the 17th(well most actually) to the last one, 42.

The American manga DBZ 1(DB 17) starts with Raditz' appearance and is shorter than normal and DB 16 thicker because it has been divided like the anime. The original manga is called just Dragon Ball.
Kasumi
Wait, I'm not sure if I catch what you're saying here. So you mean to say the original manga was never called Dragonball Z?

EDIT: I just checked my collection of the manga (which is totally covered in dust)...Yeah...There wasn't "Z"

Geez...I've had the manga for so many years, yet I've never noticed that...Shows how observant I am. dry.gif
Gashole
Really? I don't have my DB manga with me (the ones I reread are from the library tongue.gif), but I could've sworn I noticed one day a Z on the cover of the later volumes but not on the earlier volumes. But don't quote me.

Well, Kulilin (or however it is you spell his name) is one of the first, I think. I don't know if I recall correctly, but when Goku was fighting Piccolo he still couldn't fly? And back then the main good guys were only Goku, Kulilin, and Yamcha. biggrin.gif
Kasumi
When and where did Goku first learn to fly? It shouldn't be that long after for Krillin to learn how to fly.
Kihaku
I don't know about most translations, but the American has anyway added the Z...so that might confuse people.

I actually thought that Goku knew how to fly whilst fighting Piccolo(second time)... It would be logical considering that Yamcha and Kuririn learned whilst they were training at God's(Kami's) place and Goku had already recieved training there...
But I'm not really sure... have to check that. He did know how to fly when he was going along snake way... before(and even after) he is mostly seen flying on his cloud, but that might not necesserily mean anything.
Kakashi
A regular comic book store or a book store(like Indigo) should have DBZ.

I want to start reading it because well I heard it was things that were never shown in the anime. ohmy.gif
silver bg
i got mine form waldenbooks
Kihaku
I think there is already a thread on this. *sighs*
yeah.. I have the whole DB series.. not the American one though... in Swedish and German... It's still my favourite manga series. smile.gif
Yeah, I'd expect most stores to have it...
«°~Envy™~°»
QUOTE(silver bg @ May 19 2005, 04:08 PM)
i got mine form waldenbooks
[snapback]175565[/snapback]

hmmm i got one of those around here in one of the malls here, i may check it out
Vigilante
Im a huge fan of the Dragonball manga(especially pre-z, where Goku and Kuririn were kids). The characters are a lot more appealing, the action is faster, no more bad translations like the english anime, and the comedy makes alot more sense!
Legendary Super Saiyan Broly
DBZ is the best, its influenced many other animes/mangas
Meitantei Conan
Dbz was my very first Manga...and then Fullmetal came in... But i think DBZ was the best years of my life!!! FMA rocks too!!
Amol
DBZ gets tooo confusing .... they stretched it tooo long and ruined the show !
AA battery
I just recently (few days ago) reread the whole Dragon Ball manga set (this time, in Japanese... *gasp* because I recently downloaded the whole manga set in Japanese... I own the Chinese version in hard copy)

And I must agree with every points you mentioned about Kuririn. My favourite character has always been Gohan (note: Only from when he first appears until the end of Cell/Zero saga. I don't like him in Buu saga and GT)... but I must say that Kuririn has "ranked up" in my fav character list after I reread the manga. He has remained awesome and "normal" throughout the series, and I think it was really lovely that he got married with #18 XD I also feel bad for him because he is the character with most number of deaths...
1. Vol 12(13?), killed by underlings of Piccolo when trying to protect Gokuu's 4 star dragon ball
2. Vol 27, killed by Frieza...
3. Vol 40(41?), eaten by Majin Buu...
4. DBGT, killed by #17 (this part was really sad ;_; )
5. Natural death

8D;;;;;

Also, I feel that DB manga's ending was a bit too rushed... DBGT's ending is somewhat better (even though DBGT is kinda weird ^^; ) A lot of people don't like DBGT... I like it just because it has more of an "adventure" feel, that is similar to the beginning of the DB series. I just needed to try and forget that Gokuu is already 50 years old in GT XD;;;;; In GT they sorta HAD to make Gokuu turn into a kid so that they can have an adventure... i mean, who would want to watch a 50 years old guy go on an adverture? XDDDD That's so un-cute ._.;; But yea, i agree with someone up there that mentioned how "GT is centered on Gokuu"... yea, I don't really like that either, but since he is a main character, and turning Gohan/Vegeta/Goten/Trunks into a kid isn't just as fun as turning Gokuu back into a kid, so that's just how it has to be...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.