Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you want this new FMA anime series to be?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Popogeejo
Okay, so while we assume the new season will follow the manga I can't recall anything being confirmed so let's have this useless poll.

Strict adaptation: the manga is the finalised script. Nothing about it would be changed (except to fit the anime format.) basically just the anime in motion (Example: Monster)

Loose "adaptatioj": Use the manga as the basis and follow it's plot but if we can add a character to a scene they weren't in or fill out a characters role we'll go for it. No changes that effect the mangas canon to dramatically but changes none the less. (Example; kind of like the first part of FMA without the red water)

Follow the movie: The Uranium bomb is still out there after all and Ed showed that with the right circumstances he can still do alchemy. A more steam punk FMA maybe? Who knows but it would follow after the movie. (Example; No idea)

Something original: the studio takes the characters and basic ideas of FMA and throws up a whole new plot, maybe new characters and settings. (Example My Otome after My Hime)
Little Washu
I say something completely new. Maybe a comedic approach? And a new art style? I dunno.
aya_niyh
I'd rather choose FMA2 will keep its tracks from the movie..

That'd be awesome!!
If it's new, that'd be weird, since I think the movie like somewhat will be continued and has unfinished ending.

Well, as long as it's a lot better than the first, i'm okay w/ dat.
FMA is d best anime(according to me), from it's story, animation, and all..
FailToImpress
I'm really not sure, but I said follow on from the movie. As long as they come up with a good storyline I'd be happy.

I wouldn't mind an adaptation of the manga though, because there are a lot of things there that we haven't seen animated.
natsu-hime
i prefer something that follows from the movie....
and...more roiai, roiai wedding, and roiai babies!

mwahahhahaah i know i always babble about roiai, but hey, i'm a crazy fangirl tongue.gif
Anzu Mazaki
Well honestly I would like for it to be a strict adaptation of the manga but that's asking a lot for only 52 episodes...T_T And since the manga is still not finished we'll end up with something really close to the first season where it breaks off into something completely different. Now if it were something that followed the movie I would imagine it would be the same as soething completely original and still be entertaining but we'll miss out on the animation of some well-loved manga characters. Not to mention I really really want to see Kimbley again <3 .
allykatty1
Hey, did you guys steal my poll idea?? wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

Well, in any case, vote on my FMA poll too!

noadvertising.gov (my blog for geeks)
jacksparrow589
Strict adaptation, totally. Call me crazy, but I can see the scenes play out in my head, and I want to see how well I'm envisioning things. Nothing's wrong with the manga, anyway. However, like Anzu Mazaki pointed out, that could be a lot to ask for in 52 episodes. BUT, if it went FROM the split onward, it might work. There really isn't a horribly huge split until they start telling us which homunculus the Fuhrer is. I can totally see a warning beforehand: "Starts from volume 7. Ignore this, this, and, of course, that. They are not manga items. Reference the manga for other volumes that might have been changed."

Nah. That'd never happen. But I think starting from the split and adapting from there would be kinda cool. The first episode could maybe be a summary. Y'know, to point out the differences.

Bu that'd never happen, either.

I still stand by my opinion in the hopes that manga's what we're gonna get!
RoyxRizaFan
I want it to follow the manga. Why, you ask?

more roiai, roiai wedding, and roiai babies!

That's why.

OK, in all seriousness, I don't know how they'd do it unless they did two chapters for every episode or something. I don't know where they'd start, either. but didn't they say it followed the manga already?
Popogeejo
I guess I should come out and say I went for loose adaptation. Following the manga to strictly would be boring if the producers think they can bring something extra to the table.
Causmicfire
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Aug 28 2008, 01:39 PM) *
I guess I should come out and say I went for loose adaptation. Following the manga to strictly would be boring if the producers think they can bring something extra to the table.

I think that would be best.

I really liked that they brought Hughes in on the train incident in the anime, and wouldn't mind seeing other characters more often as long as it doesn't change anything drastically.
Little Washu
I'm like, the only person who picked "Something Different". I think it's be cool to see how it could have turned out. Like, maybe instead of losing his arm and leg, Al does, and Ed loses his body? Or one of them loses it, but doesn't get the soul transfer? Or how about an anime on the time the military spent in Ishbal? The story of Von Hohenheim? Y'know, something like that.
Petra
Strict adaption...what? I want it really bad! I love the manga far more then the anime and every scene matters a lot too me. Though most likely, they are gonna go on and make it a loose adaption...though I wouldn't mind that much ether.
Alchemical
Somewhere between a loose and a strict adaptation of the manga.

As Anzu Mazaki said, that's quite a bit to fit into fifty-two episodes, but I don't want the producers to put a whole bunch of new material in it. Besides, I've been wanting a manga-based anime for a long time now.
Saving_Grace
Seeing a strict adaptation of the manga has absolutely no appeal to me, I can't understand why so many people are for it.
It's something we've already seen! But animated! Whoa!
Seems a little boring to me...

Maybe I'm just not as big of a FMA fangirl as I thought I was, or perhaps it's just my general pessimism towards most anime leaking into this.

Question: Is it anime or animes when talking about it in plural form?
Little Washu
QUOTE(Saving_Grace @ Aug 28 2008, 08:04 PM) *
Question: Is it anime or animes when talking about it in plural form?

Anime

I think a loose adaption would be good too actually...
Ropespinner
I am quite torn between wanting strict or loose adaption of the manga. A loose adaption could be really cool, but it would have a bigger chance of being screwed up plot-wise, seeing as the manga has many side plots, foreshadowing and things that make sense, because Arakawa seems to be something of a perfectionist, but would stop making sense if they were changed too carelessly. Maybe it's just me seeing the worst-case scenarios...

I chose to vote for a strict adaption in the end. I think it'd be safer. Still, if it turned to be a well-done loose (but not too loose) adaption of the manga, I would be really happy.
Fushi
Where's my prequel option? >:(
qaghou
I don't like very much the idea of making a sequel to the anime because the way that the movie ended make it a final point. They just can't forget the way it ended it ! They killed so much characters and made it so differently that they can't do the ''sequel'' with the idea of making it in the way of the manga did it. Winry was put aside, the father of Ed and Al died and some characters disappear. If they put the movie behind and make a sequel to the direct anime episodes, it will be very weird. So, I don't think this is necessary to do a sequel and if this is true that they did it, I will be a little disapointed.
angry.gif God ! Why they always do it this way ? They will destroy the sense of the anime... dry.gif
RoyxRizaFan
If they did a sequel, that would be weird. They'd have to bring back a bunch of people from the dead, replace a lot of homonculi, and make up some story about how FatherDude is the real head honcho and Dante was something else entirely...too weird. Plus, i don't think I'd be able to get into it if it picked up after the movie...not after how the movie broke my EdWin fangirl heart...
daggertrepe
Strict adaptation, or something like that. I think it would be cool.

Call me crazy, but MAYBE Izumi won't die? That's probably wishful thinking but come on! Hoho fixes her insides, so why should she die??

Colette
QUOTE(Fushi @ Aug 30 2008, 01:37 AM) *

Mm, I'm not sure how that would work out though. We got a lot of flash backs in both the anime and the manga, I don't think there's much material to work with. Maybe one with Hohenheim or something, probably a more anime oriented background story though with Dante, because again, the manga covered most things of interest in his regard.
Fushi
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Aug 30 2008, 10:11 AM) *

Mm, I'm not sure how that would work out though. We got a lot of flash backs in both the anime and the manga, I don't think there's much material to work with. Maybe one with Hohenheim or something, probably a more anime oriented background story though with Dante, because again, the manga covered most things of interest in his regard.

The origins of Hohenheim, Dante, Envy and the previous homunculi. Give Gluttony a back story finally, things like that.

Prequel also means "prequel to the movie" which is also something I would like to see (but staring Alphonse, not Ed)
daggertrepe
QUOTE(Fushi @ Aug 30 2008, 11:33 AM) *

The origins of Hohenheim, Dante, Envy and the previous homunculi. Give Gluttony a back story finally, things like that.

Prequel also means "prequel to the movie" which is also something I would like to see (but staring Alphonse, not Ed)

I would be up for that. There'd be a lot of Izumi.

Sorry, I have a slight obsession with her. rolleyes.gif
Sword Alchemist
QUOTE(qaghou @ Aug 30 2008, 10:17 AM) *
I don't like very much the idea of making a sequel to the anime because the way that the movie ended make it a final point. They just can't forget the way it ended it ! They killed so much characters and made it so differently that they can't do the ''sequel'' with the idea of making it in the way of the manga did it. Winry was put aside, the father of Ed and Al died and some characters disappear. If they put the movie behind and make a sequel to the direct anime episodes, it will be very weird. So, I don't think this is necessary to do a sequel and if this is true that they did it, I will be a little disapointed.

Starting over from the beginning and following the manga story line would be okay. But dont make a continuation of the movie.

Many characters are gone, the homunculi are gone. As for Winry in the anime. In my opinion, Winry grew as a character at the end of the movie. She finally learned how to say goodbye. And Ed and Al are together again. Why continue?
Colette

Hm, the second half does seem like it would be good if played out right, but I can't see it lasting a lot of episodes without getting tedious. I don't really know; there are a lot of paths they could take, but the problem is pulling it off well.
Fushi
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Aug 30 2008, 08:23 PM) *

Hm, the second half does seem like it would be good if played out right, but I can't see it lasting a lot of episodes without getting tedious. I don't really know; there are a lot of paths they could take, but the problem is pulling it off well.

Yeah I agree. It would work better as say...a 24 episode thing. (unless they managed to come up with some new epic plot but fans could react to that badly)
But then again I also don't think a year of broadcasting is enough for a manga adaptation, unless a lot of stuff was cut, which could displease fans greatly.

That's the big problem with this. They've either given too little time or too much for some of these possibilities to work. At least that's how I view it.
Little Washu
...about the sequel...maybe from the point of view from the people still in Amestris? Like with Winry and Roy and them?
Fushi
Omg guys, what if the working title of Fullmetal Alchemist 2 gets changed to Flame Alchemist!? :DDDDDDDDDDDD
FailToImpress
^Haha, I'd be up for that. biggrin.gif
Little Washu
QUOTE(Fushi @ Aug 31 2008, 12:32 AM) *
Omg guys, what if the working title of Fullmetal Alchemist 2 gets changed to Flame Alchemist!? :DDDDDDDDDDDD

YES. That would be awesome O.O The story of Roy~ Maybe even before he was an alchemist.
RoyxRizaFan

I have no complaint about that LOL
Fushi
QUOTE(Little Washu @ Aug 31 2008, 10:12 AM) *
QUOTE(Fushi @ Aug 31 2008, 12:32 AM) *

YES. That would be awesome O.O The story of Roy~ Maybe even before he was an alchemist.

NEIN I WANT TO SEE EYEPATCH ROY IN SOME SORT OF ADORABLY PATHETIC CHURUYA-ISH COMEDY WHERE WE ALL LAUGH AT HIM. MAYBE WITH SOME HUMOROUS EXCHANGES BETWEEN HIM AND HUGHES' GHOST WHO ONLY HE CAN SEE.

NO SRSLY THAT WOULD BE HILARIOUS.

...OKAY MAYBE NOT BUT WHATEVER. AT LEAST I WOULD ENJOY IT.
Little Washu
Lol, "I'm Hughes: The Friendly Ghost" "Too friendly! Too friendly!"

An FMA comedy, I would sure appreciate that >w>
CodenameElizabeth
Definitely something with the manga as a basis.
Strict or loose, doesn't much matter to me.
ehxhfdl14
I do want the anime to be mangabased, but I wouldn't want it to follow the plot too closely. Even with the plotholes and all, I liked the previous anime for its different aura; even though I know I'll be dazzled by the characters moving on-screen once again, a strict adaptation would soon lose its appeal for me.
FailToImpress
^I kind of agree with you actually...
Another anime series strictly based on the manga would be awesome to see animated, but I already know what's happened in the manga so it wouldn't hold many surprises. I think they'd have to follow it loosely for it to keep an audience, who were watching it for the story.
Fushi
QUOTE(Little Washu @ Sep 1 2008, 08:58 AM) *
Lol, "I'm Hughes: The Friendly Ghost" "Too friendly! Too friendly!"

An FMA comedy, I would sure appreciate that >w>

"Maes, you're my only friend now."
"Awwww. You're so sad and pathetic right now it's cute. :> *petpet*"

Or, you know, something like that only...funny.

It could all be done with chibis.
Popogeejo
Sounds like the basic premiss for Randle and Hopkirk (deceased)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_and_Hopkirk_(Deceased) (original)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_%26_Hopkirk_(Deceased) (2000 remake)
Little Washu
^Well alright then, a parody with FMA characters. It would be awesome... much better than a manga adaption, actually. And the chibis would be a nice touch~

And that! Is what Id like the 2nd season to be.
Fushi
QUOTE(#1 Risembool Ranger @ Sep 4 2008, 05:57 PM) *
Sounds like the basic premiss for Randle and Hopkirk (deceased)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_and_Hopkirk_(Deceased) (original)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_%26_Hopkirk_(Deceased) (2000 remake)

Only Hughes is just a secondary character showing up maybe once an episode or a couple times every second episode.

The true basis of the series is Roy failing at life.
Popogeejo
I'd be all up on that.
roy_mustang_fan_girl
Tell ya the truth, I think it will follow after the move. Cuz the move kinda stoped in a dead place, with Ed and Al on the other side of the gate...I wonder how they will get back? Hmm well I guess Ill have to see the season to find out.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(roy_mustang_fan_girl @ Sep 13 2008, 10:18 PM) *
Tell ya the truth, I think it will follow after the move. Cuz the move kinda stoped in a dead place, with Ed and Al on the other side of the gate...I wonder how they will get back? Hmm well I guess Ill have to see the season to find out.

Or you can use your imagination and assume they lived happily ever after in WW2 Europe.
Sword Alchemist
It didn't really end at a dead place. Ed chose to go back to the other side of the gate and Al chose to follow. The movie ended on a choice both brothers made. They weren't forced to the other side of the gate. They even accepted our world as their home at the end of the movie.
spectator
If it's a strict adaptation from manga, in my opinion, and just my opinion, it will be less surprising for the plot, since I have read the manga.
AA battery
QUOTE(Little Washu @ Aug 28 2008, 02:57 PM) *
I'm like, the only person who picked "Something Different". I think it's be cool to see how it could have turned out. Like, maybe instead of losing his arm and leg, Al does, and Ed loses his body? Or one of them loses it, but doesn't get the soul transfer? Or how about an anime on the time the military spent in Ishbal? The story of Von Hohenheim? Y'know, something like that.

I'm sure some fanfic out there already got something like this covered.

==============

Strictly following manga would be great, but if they only planned for a 52 episodes series, then I guess some details will have to be left out. Anyway, as long as it's generally following the manga plot, it's all good to me.

If it continues from movie... I don't know, I'll still watch it, but I don't think the series should be called "Fullmetal Alchemist" anymore, especially because "alchemy" does not exist in the "real" world. If it is going to be about the brothers' survival/contributions in WWII, then let's call it "Fullmetal War Survivors" instead..................... ==;

I don't see how it can just randomly pick up a point from old anime and continue. The Marcoh bit (Marcoh was chased after in Anime, while in manga, he simply gave Ed the info and stayed in that little town), the 5th lab bit (Red water + Ed going berserk + Tucker still alive bit + the whole military going there to help bit =/= only Maria Ross and uhh what's his name, went to help and Envy beat up Ed...)... those are two big ones that manga and anime differs before Hughes' death. I think it's possible to skip Rose's bit at the beginning since she doesn't really have that of an important role in manga later on other than cooking for Homeless!hohenheim... But yeah, if it's indeed shooting for only one year (52 eps), then some stuff will need to be trimmed out. However, some manga stuff can also be condensed... The 4 chapters Ishbal war, can probably be fully covered within one episode. After all, manga's pacing varies greatly, and for some of those chapters that are action packed, I'm sure 5 minutes of air time can cover like one of those chapters (ie, Marcoh VS Envy. It didn't take Marcoh long to get Envy back to his primitive form). After all, Arakawa doesn't have the tendency to add a *lot* of dialogues in her action-packed scenes. For some manga, doesn't it make you wonder how the chara can manage to say soooo much within the span of one kick?

If it's something completely new, again, we don't need that, since some sorta AU fanfic probably already got that covered.

Ohhh well. We'll see next year.
Colette
I have an idea.

The new anime will take place after the movie, in our world, where the Elric brothers fight hard to fight the new seven deadly sins. I haven't decided whether they're actual characters, or if they're just fighting crime burning down abortion clinics and being modern day Robin Hoods. It's a tough call, either would be amazing.
Tuckersux
Well, I have a few ideas.
1: A sequel to episode 51, not the movie. Just discard it.
2: A sequel to the movie.
3: If they changed the ending to where Ed didn't bring Al back. I read a fanfiction like that, I don't remember the name of the person who wrote it, but it was called New Beginings.
4: Where Rose went with them ^_____^
5: The story of Dante.
6: The war in Ishbal.
Or.... They could make a sequel based on Sliver Moon's AMV, From The Ashes, where Ed isn't able to save Al at the begining, Just kidding.
lolidkwtf2do
idk.. how old this post is XP
but i guess
2nd story can be a continuous of the movie
of Ed and Al trying to get back to original world??? without the gate xP
idk whatever that has a good story line
and we cant lose Ed and Al smile.gif
they have best voice and i keep the memory of FMA as best anime smile.gif
just the new one cant ruin it tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.