Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alphonse Elric/Aaron Dismuke- English Dub
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Anime
edxwinryfan
Once they dub this new season they might have to have a new voice actor for Al in the english dub because Aaron Dismuke's (Al's voice actor) voice has changed now that he is 15 (he was 11 or 12 when he voiced Al). FMA's dub won't be the same without Aaron's voice sad.gif sad.gif
Petra
I'm sure they will, I just hope its a good voice actor. *sigh* I'm gonna miss Aaron...
Though I'm sure my mom would have different thoughts and not miss him that much, she kept saying that Alphonse's voice sounded too young.
edxwinryfan
QUOTE(Petra @ Aug 25 2008, 01:49 PM) *
I'm sure they will, I just hope its a good voice actor. *sigh* I'm gonna miss Aaron...
Though I'm sure my mom would have different thoughts and not miss him that much, she kept saying that Alphonse's voice sounded too young.

Your Mom watched fma?? my Mom thinks it is stupid <_<
Mat-Mat
He was good, but you can sorta tell that he's not the same Al as he once was in Shamballa. He's getting into his teenager years, so it'll sound so different...
Little Washu
^You bet he will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BoxfTmjzJQ
Tris the Reaper
^ Hay, ACen!

I heard his voice as Ion in Trinity Blood, and it was when he was in his puberty phase...and it wasn't that bad, really. Regardless, I do wonder who could replace him...
Little Washu
^They'll probably work reeeaaally hard trying to find another Aaron Dismuke. Though, I doubt that will happen. I presume it'll be:

Alison Viktorin (i.e. Fuka and Fumika Narutaki in Negima! and Negima!?)
Monica Rial (Nyamo in Azumanga Daioh)
Luci Christian (Wrath in the anime)

Hell, they might even surprise us with Aaron. Or someone new...
Saving_Grace
They may not change his voice if it's a continuation (it hasn't offically been said what they're doing yet), but if it's a whole new series they definitely will. I'm not really that fussed if they change any of the voice actors, to be honest. I love Vic as Ed, and Travis as Roy, but I'll deal if none of them come back. I want a new voice for Riza actually...
Amaya Hawkeye
I dunno, they might keep Aaron's voice. I'm not sure yet how I feel either way, I dunno if I want them to change it or not. My reasoning for them keeping Aaron's voice, and I know I'm gonna get alot of arguments for this, is that if they keep Vic as Ed, Vic will probably push for them to keep Aaron, he and Aaron are very close and are like brothers to each other, and I mean they can use computers to make his voice a little higher, and his voice isn't _that_ much lower than it used to be.
Little Washu
^Why use computers to make it higher when you can find a new voice? Aaron's voice has changed a lot.
Amaya Hawkeye
-.- That wasn't the point to my post... My point was the relationship between Vic and Aaron and that Vic would want Aaron to play Al.
Little Washu
QUOTE(Amaya Hawkeye @ Sep 12 2008, 04:33 PM) *
-.- That wasn't the point to my post... My point was the relationship between Vic and Aaron and that Vic would want Aaron to play Al.

Then Vic is dumber than I thought.
Emo sugar cube
ohmy.gif I don't want them to replace aaron! Guy's he was squeaking and cracking through conqueror of shamballa...we all know that his voice will be different, but that's no reason to toss him. Al is such a loved character that to pick a new person to play him would be a disgrace to us anime watching fans. I realize that Alphonse will never sound as young and cuddly as he did when he was nine but as he matures his personality won't change. Aaron will always be "Alphonse Elric" in my book and he was the one person that had me crawling back for more fma. Don't be shallow and cast him aside. Don't tear Edward from Alphonse by bringing in a new guy.

I say we keep AARON DISMUKE!!!!

Emo Sugar Cube
Popogeejo
Al is such a loved character that to pick a new person to play him would be a disgrace to us anime watching fans.

Retarded post of the day award!
If Al is such a loved character then why should we have a bad voice for him? If he's loved shouldn't he have the best voice possible?
It's not being shallow, it's being smart. if he no longer sounds right for the part then kick his [All hail lord Xenu] out. Hell, if his voice has cracked and settled now then try him out for Ed. Maybe he'll sound less like an angst ridden idiot than Vic.
edxwinryfan
"hell, if his voice has cracked and settled now then try him out for Ed'.
Aaron as Ed that would just be weird mellow.gif
Popogeejo
It's still be better than Vic.
Little Washu
QUOTE(#1 Risembool Ranger @ Sep 23 2008, 01:52 PM) *
It's still be better than Vic.

Caitlin Glass would be better than Vic at this point. Though I think if anyone tried to steal his Ed role, he might attack. I mean, the guy wrote a song all about it. And said it "changed his life".

Though, at this point I don't know who'd be good for Al. I'm sure they'll make the right choice. I hope.
Sannom
Once they dub this new season they might have to have a new voice actor for Al in the english dub because Aaron Dismuke's (Al's voice actor) voice has changed now that he is 15 (he was 11 or 12 when he voiced Al). FMA's dub won't be the same without Aaron's voice

And how old is Al? Yeah, 15 (or close) for most of the manga tongue.gif
Elphaba
Al is (I believe) 2 years younger than Ed. Ed is 15 at the beginning (the Lior stuff) of the anime, making Al 13. It's obviously taken us a few years to get to where we are now in the manga, but it's arguable whether or not Al's voice would change seeing as he doesn't actually posses a human body, and therefore no hormones.

As much as I loved Aaron as Al, it's really impossible for him to still be Al in the second season (though I hope they still give him some role....it'd be such a shame not to include him in the process).

Watching my new Ouran DVD yesterday, I have to say that I think Brina Palencia might make a good Al. She actually was Nina in FMA, but the voice she used for the role she had in Ouran (the elementary school boy in Ep 6, can't remember his name right now) really reminded me of Aaron, so I think she could do a good job.
Kylemakk
I guess I don't get what Vic has personally done to some of you out there. (I say out there meaning there's tons of anime fans out there that seem to hate him.) Did I miss the news about his crazy midnight rampage on the weekends where he breaks in your window and violates everyone while singing "Brothers" from FMA?

LOL That mental image made me laugh.

Anyway, I personally hope they pick up where they left off in the series. Being a WWII history junkie, it'd be cool to fictionally write the elric brothers into epic battles or take the "mystic" angle of the SS. Too many possibilities.

Whatever they do, I don't see a problem using the same VA's if the characters have supposedly aged as well. Dismuke could still do it with no problem if that's the case. IF that's the case. As much as I liked Al's english voice, I think it would be a mistake to use Dismuke again if they are trying to keep Al the same age.
Vinyl Zen
Aaron Dismuke playing as Ed would be pretty interesting but I doubt that will happen.

For Al, they could use Avery Williams, she did the voice for Fletcher Tringham. I enjoyed the Japanese version just as much but having genuine male voices play the part was refreshing - I get pretty tired of the Japanese trend to use female voices to play any male characters under 16
Little Washu
Well, for Al, there's always Greg Ayres. Hm...I dunno who else though. They can recruit a new 12 year old.
Edamame
QUOTE (Vinyl Zen @ Nov 20 2008, 01:27 PM) *
Aaron Dismuke playing as Ed would be pretty interesting but I doubt that will happen.

For Al, they could use Avery Williams, she did the voice for Fletcher Tringham. I enjoyed the Japanese version just as much but having genuine male voices play the part was refreshing - I get pretty tired of the Japanese trend to use female voices to play any male characters under 16

The United States has a tendency to do the exact same thing, so the trend of using younger women to voice adolescent men isn't strictly reserved to Japan. (Take the infamous Bart Simpson for instance-voiced by a woman.) Still, I agree that it is really nice to hear younger male characters voiced by actual boys their age.
Little Washu
Aaron Dismuke, Vic Mignogna and Colleen Clinkinbeard(Riza, director) are coming to a few anime conventions around here. I wonder what they'll say about season 2...

Anyway, Aaron would be a good Ed, now that he's roughly 15, himself.
Saving_Grace
Damn puberty.

I have a feeling they'll replace him, and maybe give him a small role or something. He's not expressive enough to play Ed, so I really doubt that will happen either.

As for the whole, Vic-will-fight-for-Aaron-to-play-Al thing, that's ridiculous. The man's being paid to act, he goes in and says his lines. I very much doubt that he has any influence on the casting, and he'd probably go along with whatever the producers decided anyway, like any professional would.

It's a shame, while there are undoubtedly better voice actors out there, I really got attached to Dismuke's Al. His voice was so sweet.

QUOTE (Kylemakk @ Nov 11 2008, 10:58 AM) *
Did I miss the news about his crazy midnight rampage on the weekends where he breaks in your window and violates everyone while singing "Brothers" from FMA?

^ I don't know if I should laugh or hide under my bed at the thought...

Child Xylia
By the time the new FMA series will be dubbed, Aaron Dismuke will be too old to do Al (unless he can find a way to make his voice higher, which I doubt)!

Luckily, Rie will be available for the series, but what about Aaron? I had gotten so used to him as my English Al. Hopefully, they'll re-cast it right, but still...it won't be the same... sad.gif >_<
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
well as for me i hope that they keep arron as al's voice. that would be aswome.
Rainshine
QUOTE (xXdark_angel_nekoXx @ Dec 9 2008, 05:46 AM) *
well as for me i hope that they keep arron as al's voice. that would be aswome.

That would be cool, but I think Arron's voice changed, so he can't do the Al voice anymore. sad.gif
Emo sugar cube
QUOTE (#1 Risembool Ranger @ Sep 23 2008, 03:22 PM) *
Al is such a loved character that to pick a new person to play him would be a disgrace to us anime watching fans.

Retarded post of the day award!
If Al is such a loved character then why should we have a bad voice for him? If he's loved shouldn't he have the best voice possible?
It's not being shallow, it's being smart. if he no longer sounds right for the part then kick his [All hail lord Xenu] out. Hell, if his voice has cracked and settled now then try him out for Ed. Maybe he'll sound less like an angst ridden idiot than Vic.

Don't call me RETARDED! it's my opinion and that( my post) is what I Think. I think that even though his voice has changed they should keep him. sheesh people are so shallow!
Popogeejo
Don't call me RETARDED! it's my opinion and that( my post) is what I Think.

Just because it's what you think doesn't mean it's not retarded.

His voice changed so he is no longer suitable to play the role. You need someone who sounds right for the part and with his newly broken manly voice Aaron now has to move on to pastures new. It' not like he's going to be taken out back and shot.

The only reason most people don't want him to go is because he's familiar and the idea of something new scares or worries them.

The last series is over. This is a fresh start with fresh talent. Move on.
Emo sugar cube
QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Jan 31 2009, 04:47 PM) *
Don't call me RETARDED! it's my opinion and that( my post) is what I Think.

Just because it's what you think doesn't mean it's not retarded.

His voice changed so he is no longer suitable to play the role. You need someone who sounds right for the part and with his newly broken manly voice Aaron now has to move on to pastures new. It' not like he's going to be taken out back and shot.

The only reason most people don't want him to go is because he's familiar and the idea of something new scares or worries them.

The last series is over. This is a fresh start with fresh talent. Move on.

sounds like you're a fairweather fan sleep.gif ...I recognize that it scares most people but still my opinion is NOT RETARDED! just because he's gonna be odd dosn't mean he should get kicked.chair.gif
Popogeejo
sounds like you're a fairweather fan

OH SNAP! YOU QUESTIONED MY LOYALTY!

Just because he's gonna be odd dosn't mean he should get kicked.

He's a Voice Actor. The only thing he should be judged on is his voice and even you say it would be odd. That being the case there is no reason for him to be Al. Your notion that he should keep his role "just because" remains retarded.

Go cry, Emo kid.
Dark Snow Alchemist
Erm, okay, moving on (*not taking any sides in above argument - though would like gently tap certain users on the shoulder and remind them to refrain from bordeline flaming*).

I do think that, should the story continue from the "Conqueror of Shamballa", the idea of Aaron Dismuke continuing his role as Al does have some validity. In that case, he WOULD have a 15-year-old body with 15-year-old male hormones, therefore, he probably wouldn't still have the voice of a ten-year-old. (If Al should return to a human body in season 2, and age, this would also be the case.)
But, if the second season simply re-starts from the beginning of the manga (which it sounds like it probably will), Al will still have the voice of a ten-year-old (or, whatever age he was at the time of the whole "incident") stuck in a suit armor - in which case, Aaron Dismuke would have to be replaced, given that he sounds nothing like a little kid anymore. (In this case, Vic, as an actor, NOT a director and/or producer, would have little say in casting). True, the voice actor they replace him with will probably not be the same Al that we've all come to know, but, with good casting, the new person should be good enough to fill the part (and, would probably also allow Dismuke to move on to whatever "bigger and better" roles he had in mind.)

That's my 2 cents.
Sannom
But, if the second season simply re-starts from the beginning of the manga (which it sounds like it probably will), Al will still have the voice of a ten-year-old (or, whatever age he was at the time of the whole "incident") stuck in a suit armor

This doesn't make sense to me huh.gif I mean, if we can assume than a suit of armor can talk with no vocal cords and a voice that sounds relatively human (bring metallic voice for Al, please biggrin.gif ), why can't we assume his voice would change as well, and that he would have the voice of a 14 years old, his age? It's not like Arakawa defined any rule or anything...
Emo sugar cube
QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Jan 31 2009, 05:48 PM) *
sounds like you're a fairweather fan

OH SNAP! YOU QUESTIONED MY LOYALTY!

Just because he's gonna be odd dosn't mean he should get kicked.

He's a Voice Actor. The only thing he should be judged on is his voice and even you say it would be odd. That being the case there is no reason for him to be Al. Your notion that he should keep his role "just because" remains retarded.

Go cry, Emo kid.

gasp! you are so Rude. ohmy.gif I think that we should keep him BECAUSE..if you watched c.o.s you would KNOW that his voice changed AND once puperty hits you cn't have the lovable voice of al and we know that Al has to grow up anyway. Now stop being so rude!
Popogeejo
You are aware that this new series isn't going to follow on from COS, right? From all preview material it's a retelling of the manga.

bring metallic voice for Al, please

That would dehumanise poor Al even more. Having him sound like a young child makes him more likeable.
Tombow
Ahem...

Guys, could you stick to posting your opinions on the DISCUSSION TOPIC and NOT your opinions on the POSTER. I think this is an interesting discussion, and I'm more interested in reading how and why you think certain voice actors are suitable/not suitable for FMA characters, and not about certain posters here are "retard" or "shallow," etc., etc. for posting certain opinions on this thread. biggrin.gif
Thanks! smile.gif
Blysse
QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Feb 1 2009, 02:28 PM) *
You are aware that this new series isn't going to follow on from COS, right? From all preview material it's a retelling of the manga.

That would dehumanise poor Al even more. Having him sound like a young child makes him more likeable.

Guh, if they made him sound metallic even more people would think he's a bloody robot! ohmy.gif God, NO! Just the little bit of echo is fine, man.
Sannom

Hey, I do think that Arakawa should have gone all the way : mute (no vocal cords), deaf (no ears) and blind (no eyes) tongue.gif Let's see if someone's interested into becoming a suit of armor after that rolleyes.gif
Rainshine
QUOTE (Blysse @ Feb 1 2009, 03:48 PM) *
QUOTE (Popogeejo @ Feb 1 2009, 02:28 PM) *

Guh, if they made him sound metallic even more people would think he's a bloody robot! ohmy.gif God, NO! Just the little bit of echo is fine, man.

LOL, when I first saw the cover of the first manga, I thought he was a robot. >___>
I think just an echo is fine. wink.gif
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
QUOTE (Little Washu @ Aug 25 2008, 04:49 PM) *

wow thanks for the link Little Washu.
Hagaren_4ever
Hey, edxwinryfan, my mom watched the show too. 'Cept she was right, and thought his voice was fantastic. She's got no interest in the new series though, which sucks, since it's gonna rule all.

Hey, Rain-Alchemist, where did you get the picture for your sig?
lunneth
they'l prolly just get dismuke back. but if desperation calls then they'll get hidericks voice back. its an easy choice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.