Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Life As A Teenage Girl
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Popogeejo
When not being exceedingly manly, wrestling bears and chopping down trees, I enjoy a good slice of life show, especially those of the High School genus. It reminds me of when I was young lady…

Most slice of lives are set in or around school although there are plenty of exceptions, most notably the fan favourite Planetes.
SoL's are noted for their episodic nature, slow pacing and general absence of over all plot. Hell, most don’t even need to be watched in airing order. These make the genre a great choice for casual viewing.

Rather than list every slice of life I can think of I’ll be lazy and throw this up;
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SliceOfLife (caution: This site is notorious for eating up up any free time you may have)
This doesn't cover a quarter of them but it's a good starting point.
Other note worthy series include: Manabi Straight, Moyashimon, Bamboo Blade and Chi's sweet home.

Being so plot light there isn’t really much to talk about (and we already have trouble when it comes to talking about anime as it is) which is why this thread is basically covering a whole genre. Feel free to post anything you want on anything to do with these shows from which ones you are currently watching, choice moments or why you think these shows are horribly dull and need more ninjas, anything at all is welcome.

Unless mods say otherwise I’m also happy to host any talk on SoL manga here as well.

Recommended watches:
Azumanga Daioh (probably the best of the High school shows),
Hidamari Sketch,
Nodame Cantabile,
Manabi Straight.
Tris the Reaper
Ahaha, excellent. I love slice of life. Especially Azumanga, which pretty much revolutionized the whole thing.

Crap like Lucky Star can burn in the deepest recesses of hell, however...

Random-ish question though, would Yotsuba be considered slice of life?
Popogeejo
curious-ish question though, would Yotsuba be considered slice of life?

Well it is about her daily life so it makes sense that it would be.
Chiyo
I shouldn't have scrolled down to Western Animation on that link....to much "I remember that, and that, ooh that".

Interesting that they have Kiki in their as a "condensed into film" slice of life anime. Wouldn't have occured to me otherwise but yes it could have easily been a series.

I like the more bizzare slice of life ones...where a character or the situation is completely unreal but in their existance it's normality. In saying that...that's most anime to some degree.
mei_tenshi
Favorite slice of life of all time: Aria the Animation (and its sequels, plus the manga). I love it. It's not especially funny, or dramatic (within the storyline of each episode), and the characters aren't that realistic (not to say they're not totally endearing anyhow)...but it's such a feel-good show that I can't help smiling throughout all the light-hearted episodes--without even realizing it. (The episodes featuring bittersweet themes are heart-wringing, though.)

Oh, and the music/background art/character designs/etc. are wonderful.
Little Washu
I would say my favorite is Ichigo Mashimaro, closely fallowed by Azumanga Daioh and Hidamari Sketch. Though I enjoy Lucky * Star, I prefer the other three, and not just because their hair styles and colors are more realistic.
asunder
PlanetES <3
don't overlook this great series

~
Blitz
^ I frickin' love Planetes. Absolutely amazing.
Fushi
QUOTE(Tris the Reaper @ Aug 8 2008, 03:38 PM) *
Crap like Lucky Star can burn in the deepest recesses of hell, however...

B| I like my Lucky Star AH THANK YOU.

Chi's Sweet Home counts as slice of life too eh? (kitty life :>)
Tris the Reaper
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Aug 22 2008, 09:15 PM) *

But ah don't. D| I like the OP but that's about it. I couldn't make it past episode 2. Buuuuut tha's just meee.

...Wait. WHY HAS NO ONE MENTIONED ZETSUBOU SENSEI? Deranged Azumanga, kthnx
Blitz
^ Lucky Star changed directors after episode 04, I think. It got SO MUCH better from then on.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Aug 23 2008, 03:15 AM) *

You may not like a thread I make in the future then...

Chi's Sweet Home counts as slice of life too eh? (kitty life :>)

Yes. Yes it does.

EDIT
Lucky Star changed directors after episode 04,

Yes.
I think. It got SO MUCH better from then on.

POINT OF CONTENTION!
Naivete

Yes, Zetsubou Sensei for the win ftw!!! But does it actually fit in the Slice of Life genre?
Little Washu
QUOTE(baKa-neKoh @ Aug 22 2008, 08:15 PM) *

Yes, Zetsubou Sensei for the win ftw!!! But does it actually fit in the Slice of Life genre?

I would have mentioned it, but I thought it to be more comedic, like Pani Poni Dash.
Tris the Reaper
Well, it's the daily life of a hysterically mentally unstable teacher and his batcrap insane students and faculty, so I kinda thought it may. Feel free to correct me, though.
Fushi
QUOTE(Blitz @ Aug 22 2008, 08:46 PM) *
^ Lucky Star changed directors after episode 04, I think. It got SO MUCH better from then on.

Agreed. First couple episodes aren't all that great.

Episodes like the comiket one though? Awesome.

IMO SZS is more dark comedy than slice of life btw.
Popogeejo
Yeah, SZS isn't really Slice of Life.
Tris the Reaper
Well then, darn on me. :C
Fushi
QUOTE(Tris the Reaper @ Aug 22 2008, 10:35 PM) *
Well then, darn on me. :C

*pat pat*
Little Washu
Would Ninja Nonsense be Slice of Life? The most action-like thing they do is...have a baseball game.
Popogeejo
What's that!? New Azumanga chapters!
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dzmuyayugjz
To celebrate it's 10th anniversary Denki Daioh and Azuma are publishing three new chapters of azumanga (one for each school year.)
Share and enjoy.
Popogeejo
http://rapidshare.com/files/242941879/Azum...9-06_Ralen_.rar
More Azu.
We move into the next year.

Also, the old volumes are being re-done to make 3 volumes instead of 4 and the artist has gone and redrawn most of it. Some blog is saying roughly 70% of the art has been retouched in many cases these are complete redraws.
Popogeejo
Triple word scare!

Azumanga: http://rapidshare.com/files/253659244/azum...09-07_ralen.rar

Hidamari related news: New DVD out on the 18th of October I believe. Certainly sometime mid Oct. After that we'll be treated to Hidamari X ☆☆☆. This season should see the introduction of two new residents to everyone's favourite apartment!

Other stuff: Taishou Yakyuu Musume (Taishou Baseball girls) is a newish (10 of 12 eps have aired) series in the Bamboo Blade vein of sports animu meets SoL. It probably has enough plot and focus on baseball/personal drama that it wouldn't be slice of life but I'm not about to make yet another thread (at least until it wraps up.) Good amount of comedy, nice heart warming moments and a song number out of nowhere.
EniviD EiraM
My life is just like the blend of Azumanga Daioh and Yamato nadeshiko Shichi Henge....
I have so much fun with my friends and they treat me quite nice but in my 'love life'---- it's like I'm surrounded with boys but none of them either likes me.... like I'm invisible to their sight..... Just like the Old Sunako Nakahara.... dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.