Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soul Eater
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Blitz
Soul Eater (ソウルイーター Sōru Ītā?), originally a manga by Atsushi Ohkubo, has been made into an anime by Studio BONES.

It's a rather interesting shounen series. The first episode aired a couple of days ago and it really grabbed my attention. It does tend to have lots of fanservice, though.

The anime is being aired two times a week. On Mondays, the cut, "kiddie," version is aired. On Thursdays, the late night, uncut version is being aired.

Plot:

QUOTE (ANN)
Set in the Shinigami technical school for weapon meisters, the series revolves around 3 groups of each a weapon meister and a human weapon. Trying to make the latter a "Death Scythe" and thus fit for use by the Shinigami, they must collect the souls of 99 evil humans and 1 witch.

Based on the Gangan manga by Atsushi Okubo, Soul Eater is set in the shinigami academy, where young gods of death train with their anthropomorphic weapons.
The manga is only ten volumes long right now, so expect a fair amount of anime original episodes.

.....Each of the three teams from the short stories are total opposites: Straight A schoolgirl Maka gets teamed with Slacker skater scythe Soul, while show off assassin Black*Star gets teamed with a worrywort ninja weapon. Death The Kid is a ridiculous flying snowboard riding powerhouse who is frequently reduced to crippling despair by his obsession with symmetry, and he wields the Thompson sisters, a pair of happy go lucky American ditzes who turn into automatic handguns.

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, supernatural
Themes: human weapons, shinigami
Episodes: 51
Age Rating:
Older Teen (Significant (bloody violence and/or swearing and/or nudity)
(Source - ANN)

-------------------------

I hope this thread doesn't die....
Little Washu
I saw the first episode the other day. It's really good, I like Death the Kid.

The logo sorta reminds me of the one from Bleach
Blitz
^ Maybe it's because they're both Shinigami related...? :3

Ahaha, Kidd makes me crack up with his symmetry complex. XD
Popogeejo
~ Soul Eater, My legend begins in the 12th century ~

So, once upon a time in Olde Manga towne Naruto and Bleach got high on One Piece and had a child. This child was the Soul Eater manga. Now Bones (makers of the FMA anime) are commemorating their 10th anniversary by turning this into an anime.

The basic premiss is that there's a bunch of kids from some school/training academy who go about stopping evil humans from turning into big scary monsters. These kids work in teams of two: the Technician and the Weapon. The Weapon can, for reasons I know not, turn into a weapon of some kind. Why? Who cares? When they kill their target the weapon eats the victims soul and becomes a bit stronger (good old shounen power levels.) There are also Witches. If a Weapon eats 99 evil human souls and a Witches soul they get to become a Death Scythe, a weapon of Mr.Shinigami who runs the whole show. So yeah, it's a basic shounen but it looks kinda cool so bare with me.

From left to right:Maka, Death the Kid and Naruto

Cast o' Characters.
Maka: She and her partner are the lead characters. She's the straight man of the group and her teams technician. Naturally her mum was the greatest technician ever so she has big shoes that she inevitably fill in 500 chapters time. Amazingly her dad isn't which is odd for a shounen lead. She doesn't like him though because he's a womaniser.

Soul: He's the weapon of his team and takes the form of a Scythe (hold back your surprise) and is a laid back, "cool" character. He's basically a walking plot event. If something bad is going to happen then I'd look at him. Think when Sasuke got poisoned by snake dude in Naruto.

Black Star: He's Naruto meets Hot Topic. He's the technician but where Maka is Vanilla he's Assassin but get this; HE'S LOUD AND BLOOD OBNOXIOUS! LOL, isn't that crazy? Being Naruto though he's also an insanely good fighter when it's time to get "serious."

Tsubaki: She is Naruto's doormat and put's up with crap. She can turn into several different weapons of Ninja flavouring but will mostly take the shape of a pair of scythes on a long chain. Also Boobs.

Death the Kid: He's the son of Shinigami-sama so doesn't have to attend the school but became a student so he could take on missions and create his own Death Scythes. He has OCD which takes the form of needing everything to be symmetrical. He's also voiced by the guy who did Tamaki (Ouran host club) and Light (Death Note) so he's automatically a good character.

Patty and Liz: These are Kid's Weapons, they take the form of a pair of... (wait for it) ...You guessed it! Pistols. They spend most of their times trying to get Kid out of his OCD induced depressions. The three of them are apparently the strongest of the main teams when OCD isn't rearing it's ugly head.

ENOUGH OF THE TEAMS!

Shinigami-sama: He's stuck in Death town for plot point #982. He's pretty cool, kinda funny, kicks a bit of ass now and then. HE IS AN OKAY DUDE.

Death Scythe: Maka's Papa. Also a cool dude when not womanising. He loves his family despite his faults and makes a pretty strong weapon (you'll never guess what he turns into and I'm not going to say because it will blow your mind.)

Dr. Stein: He was Death Scythes first partner before Maka's mum made a discovery and took up the role of Death Scythes technician. Stein is the strongest technician but is also a WACKY ECCENTRIC! Who would have guessed?

Sid: He's a Zombie.

Excalibur: His story began in the 12th century. He wears a top hat but no pants. He's awesome.

Look at him! You wish you could be as great as he is.

Despite my praise he's a small part character sadly.

Blair: A magical cat who likes to try and seduce Soul.

Everyone else: Look through some other Shounen and you'll find the rest of the cast.

SO YEAH!
I know there are soe folks here who like it though so here's a thread. Personally I think it's just another generic shounen but it's enjoyable enough. I hope I don't offend anyone by comparing it to the rubbish that is Naruto but damn, it's just so easy. The main bad guy for the first arc even has a snake theme!

No license, 51 episodes, currently up to episode 14/15.
Blitz
Sorry, I beat you to making a Soul Eater thread:

Here

However, it's been pushed back so much I figure it doesn't matter.

Hahaha, Excalibur.
Popogeejo
Curse you, Blitz! You and your thread making before me shenanigans.
That One Dude
I started watching this anime a few days ago, and I'm trying to watch episode 13 without firefox crapping up on me. I thought it was cool, especially because Maka can totally own with a scythe... But, yeah, the first episode left me with a 'whut' expression on my face because of the utterly ridiculous fact that they had to restart the whole thing because it wasn't a witch's soul... just a cat's.

Anywho, I think the animation is pretty cool because there's no stiff limbs to shriek and claw my eyes out over, though in all honesty the quality of the artwork isn't amazing to my eyes.

I pray that there'll be more than 20-something episodes 'cuz it just got good.
Meitantei Conan
I like this Anime. But never got more into it cause I still never really like understand whats going on.

Blackstar Sounds like Naruto.

hehehe YES Soul Eater is Riku from Kingdom Hearts =]]
Flamez_Freak
i have to admit...black star does sound a lot like naruto.....
EniviD EiraM
I heard it from a friend ...

uhm, the first time I watched this was when "Death the Kid on his first day in school" episode .. uhm, it was very very cool and the shounen-side of it is excellent but not too much .. and what I like the most is that the weapons and the characters are like 'bang' .. smile.gif

it'll definitely catch your attention just like what happened to Blitz ..

haha !
xMinty
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this show~~~!!!!
eruka the frog witch is my favorite character she's nawt that main em I <3 DTK
^^

I love this anime because its just sooooooooo creative and kewl <3333

a dub of it has recently started and I think it's an AMAZING dub. many people hate black star's dub but I LOVE IT and dtk's is SO SO SO amazing and perfect,

and,

spirit=edward elric
maka=lust
medusa=wrath

dub wise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.