Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Symbolism And Whatnot Of Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga
Omamori
I've been looking for a thread like this...and, since I haven't found one...
...I start one! Yay! Here, you share theories, explanations, etc, etc..

Anyway, if you've all read (or seen) Death Note, you should be well-aware of the symbolism and other topics that pop up in the series.

For example, the apples that Ryuk, a Shinigami (god of death) cannot live without: Around the world, it is believed tha the apple was the Forbidden Fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil told in the Bible. My theory: Shinigami use their own Death Notes to kill humans to add to their own lifespan. For them, is this sense of taking others lives good or bad? For them, they don't really care; only if the amount of humans dying keeps them from adding to their lifespan.
Then, we have Light Yagami, who finds the Death Note and decides that he's going to use it to rid the world of criminals while becoming this new world's God. Question: Is this sense of justice good or evil? The question is constantly popping up!

At one point in the series, Soichiro Yagami states that the "power to kill is evil"; not the one who's using it. Guess you could say that's from someone's perspective, but, is killing really bad? Or good? Or is it not just black and white, but gray? Hence, the "Forbidden Fruit" Ryuk the Shinigami is always eating.

All I'm gonna type for now. Any thoughts? Comments? Anyone? *pokes*
Little Washu
Notice L, Light, and Misa all have birthday's on holidays?

L = 10/31/1979 (Halloween)
Misa = 12/25/1984 (Christmas)
Light = 2/28/1986 (Leap year, sorta a holiday)
Omamori
^I forgot about those!

I have a theory for Misa's birthdate: She's pure, as Rem puts it, and 'innocent'; her obsession to meet Kira pretty much drove her to using the Death Note, along with her obsessive love for Light.

L's and Light's...I'll have to do some research. Thanks for pointing those out; I remembered thinking: "Huh...L's birthday is on Halloween...weird."
Popogeejo

The leap day is the 29th, not the 28th.
Omamori
^Gah...you're right. Hm *goes to Wikipedia* What signifigance does February 28th hold for us...

Alrighty...remember Naomi Misora? After flipping through vol. 2, I noticed that the birthdate on her driver's license is February 14th, Valentines Day. I'm guessing this is because she goes after Kira, believing he killed her fiance, Raye Penber. But that's only a guess. Hm.

Haven't been able to find anything on Near, Mello, and Teru's birthdays:
Mello - December 13, 1989
Near - August 24, 1991
Teru Mikami - June 7, 1982.
Little Washu
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Apr 8 2008, 03:26 AM) *

The leap day is the 29th, not the 28th.

Oh. Well then there's nothing special about Light.
EniviD EiraM
a few more questions :

in death note,well, killing reflects to justice in some way ... didn't get it ?
-Light wanted to make a new world free from evil and killing criminals is the way to do that
but he didn't realize that he himself is evil ... so, does that mean that he'll kill himself ?
-Kira tries to give justice to those victims of crime through killing the criminals but why do other people praise Kira for it ?
-On some parts of the series, Light killed even some innocent people which is not similar to Kira's plans ..
-Is Misa being fooled by Light ?
-Is justice given in the end ?
-Kira and L are best of enemies but Light and Ryuuzaki are friends dry.gif
-did L liked Misa ?? smile.gif

I still keep on wondering about these ... I agree with the topic starter !
Katya Martin
I think the whole point of the series was that people shouldn't be able to decide if a person deserves death; giving a human the ability to kill whoever they wanted was about the worst idea ever.

Back to the original topic, I did see a lot of the religious symbolism attempted throughout, but quite frankly I thought it was handled pretty badly. Various symbols, the apple, the tree, etc. were thrown in, but not in a way that really made coherent sense or lent a perspective on characters' actions. It was more of "Light wants to be God so let's throw in lots of religious symbolism wherever we can." That's one of the reasons I didn't really like Death Note, but that's just me.
EniviD EiraM
QUOTE (Katya Martin @ Feb 14 2010, 09:57 PM) *
I think the whole point of the series was that people shouldn't be able to decide if a person deserves death; giving a human the ability to kill whoever they wanted was about the worst idea ever.

Back to the original topic, I did see a lot of the religious symbolism attempted throughout, but quite frankly I thought it was handled pretty badly. Various symbols, the apple, the tree, etc. were thrown in, but not in a way that really made coherent sense or lent a perspective on characters' actions. It was more of "Light wants to be God so let's throw in lots of religious symbolism wherever we can." That's one of the reasons I didn't really like Death Note, but that's just me.

after reading this, I just realized that not all anime or manga teaches us how to be proper ... but Death Note taught some lessons as well ... (in my own opinion)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.