Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Favourite Manga Artists?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga
Popogeejo
Simple idea, post your favourite manga artists (this is purely about art, not plot or anything else) and a a sample or two (or more) of their work.

Try and avoid spoilers and NWS stuff

You can host pages on Imageshack. After you upload use Thumbnail for forums (1) option.
I'll get the ball rolling with a few examples.

From my favourite manga, Berserk, written and drawn by Kentaro Miura;

From Blade of the Immortal by Hiroaki Samura
Precis
Well, I really like Hiromu Arakawa-sensei's work, but I'm sure I don't have to post any of that.

Anyway. I also really like CLAMP (Tsubasa RC, xxxHolic, Cardcaptor Sakura, etc.). Their art is rather unique~ ;3

Pages from Tsubasa RC:

Another favorite of mine is Kazuki Takahashi. He's gotten soo much better over the time he's been working on Yu-Gi-Oh. ^^

From Yu-Gi-Oh chapter 1:

Chapter 285 (kinda low quality scan but you get the idea):
Kal Rommel
Yukiru Sugisaki - D.N.Angel

I think her style is amazing. It helped me to fall in love with this series.

I agree with Precis about Arakawa-sensei's style. I think the reason I personally like it so much is because it's so...different from every other style out there.
It was a groundbreaking style, especially in the manga.

Daisuke Higuchi's : Whistle!
Absolutely my favorite. The way Higuchi-san illustrates movement is amazing. Some of it looks elementary, but if you can tell the characters are moving. She's a really amazing manga-ka.

^That's one of my favorite scenes. It really shows the movement of the character, and it illustrates Higuchi-san's ability to really portray the flow of that movement.

Shioko Mizuki - Crossroad
Another one of my favorite manga. The art style is also much different than the normal manga you might find.
It's from Go!Comi, who I find to have a bunch of artist with eclectic styles that you don't normally find.

All scans provided by: Manga Fox
Ichiya_Yuka
is i must to give the sample??

my fav are:
Hoshino Katsura-D.Gray-man
Matantei Loki Ragnarok-Kino....a Sakura
Tactics-Kino....a Sakura
Shugo Chara!-Peach-pit
Zombie Loan-Peach-pit
Rozen Maiden-Peach-pit
Trifone
sleep.gif

I cant find a good example of my favorites work, but his name is Yukito Kishiro.
We wrote Battle angel alita AKA Gunnm.

Enjoy this classic before its ruined by the main stream in 2009. T_T

Also, Eiirchiro Odas material is generally very original and unique.
.... Do I need an example? lol
Little Washu
I know quite a few good ones.

Ken Akamatsu
Negima! is a great example of his work:

(My signature is also a character from his manga/anime Negima!)

Shiei is good too, here's a picture of the manga she does with Adam Arnold, Aoi House:

And of course, Masashi Kishimoto's Naruto:
Omamori
Hiromu Arakawa's artwork is, naturally, one of my favorites.

Next would be Takeshi Obata (Death Note, Hikaru no Go, etc...)

Following is Katsura Hoshino, creator of D.Gray-Man:

And, lastly, Tite Kubo, creator of Bleach. Still not too sure why, but I find his artwork quite...interesting? I just like it:

(I also like CLAMP's artwork as well, but Precis already has an example up. So. You won't find one on this post)
Popogeejo
Araki, of Jojo's bizarre adventure fame, has come miles since he began.
Sadly the manga scans i have are terrible but here's a piece he did of Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star.

Omamori
I have one more to add:

Akira Toriyama's (Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dr. Slump, etc...) artwork recently captured my eye once more. I've been fond of his style in Dragon Ball, but after reading Dr. Slump, I've found that I love it!

Daydreamer_Alchemist
I like this manga artists not just for how they paint, but also for how they put together a story and for how they think.

#1 Hiromu Arakawa - She have made the best mangas I have ever read!

#2 Ai Yazawa - She always surprises me

#2 Katsura Hoshino - I just love how he draws!

#3 Masashi Kishimoto
Popogeejo
I like this manga artists not just for how they paint, but also for how they put together a story and for how they think

Sadly that's not what I'm asking for in this particular thread though, is it? I'm asking for who you think is the best artist.

Anyway, people who don't get simple ideas aside;

I mentioned earlier Hirohiko Araki, mangaka of Jojo's bizarre adventure but didn't have anything from his actual manga, just some fan art he did. Now I have a time line!

From volume 24

Volume 60+ (maybe even 70/80 something.)

It's worth looking up his colour works as he doesn't give his characters set schemes but instead changes things depending on the mood/tone of the scene.
Little Washu
No one can top Susuhito Yasuda, IMO. I totally wish I could draw like him:

Maphisto40
Some of my favorites have already been mentioned, like Arakawa Hiromu, Kubo Tite, Takeshi Obata, and CLAMP.

Here's a couple of my other favorites:

Anzai Nobuyuki (Flame of Recca, MÄR, MiXiM) - His style is so distinctive that I can recognize his work generally with one or two panels.

Flame of Recca:

Oh! Great (Air Gear, Tenjho Tenge) - His artwork is fricking gorgeous! I'll find myself just staring at it instead of reading the story...

Tenjho Tenge:

Air Gear:

Yikie
Well, obviously, my favourite mangaka is Arakawa-sensei.
But another great mangaka I look up to, in general (story, art etc...), is the one and only Rumiko Takahashi-sensei ^w^:

I especially like Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha (I think her artwork is really cute ^^):

But if it's artwork-only, I have to say Matsuri Hino:

fullmetalxfire
Someone mentioned Oh! Great, and I do agree.

I loved the art for Air Gear.
Well, for the manga, I mean..

Aside from that, I've always loved Yuu Watase's art. At least her older work, because these days her style is different.. T_T but I loved the art in her older series, like Fushigi Yuugi, and Ayashi no Ceres. Even though that was her 1992 art stlyle. xD;

thumbnail preview
lunneth
i like

1. yukiru sugisaki (d.n.angel, rizelmine, candidate for godess)
her style is welcoming an friendly. plus she can shade really well. i just like it.

2. ken akamatsu( love hina, negima, ai love u)
i like the way he can draw his characters so smoothly. he really captures the straight and curved prpoties of people and things.

3. nobuhiro watsuki (rurouni kenshin, buso renkin)
i think he does a really good job with the detail he puts into his drawings. his style is slghtly classic and he blurs the lines between modern and classic manga which his characters strongly reperesent.

4. mayumi azuma (elemental gelade)
he makes his characters vibrant with a slightly messy style and also creates a good atmosphere around his weapons with unique design and ideas straight fresh from the pan
Dr.JeVousManger
I don't read too much manga, but I do enjoy 2 artists particularly:

Hiro Mashima(I only read his most famous Rave Master)
His drawings have a cartoony kind of feel to it, but that's why I love them!

Yuichi Kumakura(King of Bandits: Jing is the only one I know of)
His drawings are cartoonish too, and I love the creativity this guy has. His drawings may be what inspired me to make my name a Dr. Something XD
Master Jack Ryerson
Well, I will forever worship Arakawa style. Narae Lee who does the Maximum Ride manga has a nice style I enjoy, Svetlana Chmakova, Tite Kubo's style is incredible, and I find Atsushi Ohkubo's, who does Soul Eater, style very nice as well.
lunneth
how did i forget tite kubo.(slaps self)
Hagaren_4ever
Only Manga Artists? Well...
I love Hiromu Arakawa (FMA, of course!) because of her kinda... human-like, realistic art style in the realistic weight, and the adding of scars after battle that stay for a while after it's over. I also like her gradual aging of characters process.
Looks-only (pretty)-wise I like Yoshiki Nakamura (artist of Skip Beat) Puts a LOT of work into it, I can tell. Wonderful eye technique.
And cute-wise you just gotta go with Koge-Donbo. You know, Pita-Ten? Kamichama Karin? Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.
luluseason
i really like hino matsuri's art.

and Sakai Mayu's art is really nice
Aribelle
I love CLAMP...especially xxxHolic. It's just so gorgeous, what with the smoke and Yuuko's clothes and just...everything lol. I love it all wub.gif

kkg22104
Everyone's already mentioned most of my favorites: Hiromu Arakawa (of course laugh.gif), CLAMP (Chobits is so cute), Matsuri Hino (Vampire Knight), and Rumiko Takahashi (Inuyasha). I also like Kentaro Yabuki, who did Black Cat and To-Love-Ru. Arina Tanemura is definitely one of my favorites. She did Full Moon wo Sagashite, Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, and Gentlemen's Alliance Cross. She draws the big shoujo eyes. happy.gif
xXdark_angel_nekoXx
QUOTE (Rosicrucian @ May 7 2008, 04:28 PM) *
Hiromu Arakawa's artwork is, naturally, one of my favorites.

Next would be Takeshi Obata (Death Note, Hikaru no Go, etc...)

Following is Katsura Hoshino, creator of D.Gray-Man:

And, lastly, Tite Kubo, creator of Bleach. Still not too sure why, but I find his artwork quite...interesting? I just like it:

(I also like CLAMP's artwork as well, but Precis already has an example up. So. You won't find one on this post)

these are so my favorites and aslo Hiromu Arakawa (creator of fma).
Michiyo-
My favourite manga artists are:

- Hiromu Arakawa biggrin.gif
- CLAMP
- Rumiko Takahashi
- Arina Tanemura
I also like the art of Kubo Tite and Takeshi Obata, too.
Aribelle
Noes! I forgot Obata. Death Note was awesome, and I especially love his work in Bakuman...it's very charming ^^

And of course I love Arawaka-sensei, especially chapter 52. She does suuuuuch a good job with conveying emotion. GAH.
Haru0496
Higuchi Tachibana, Ema Toyama, Kazuki Takahashi, CLAMP, and Hiromu Arakawa laugh.gif
Mhacy
Hiromu Arakawa (FMA)
Clamp (Tsubasa Chronicle)
Jun Mochizuki (Pandora Hearts)
Yana Toboso (Kurosh!tsuji)
Matsuri Hino (Vampire Knight)
Kale Mustang
Tite Kubo (Bleach)
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Evangelion)
Hiromu Arakawa (FMA)
Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
CLAMP (Tsubasa Chronicle)
...just to name a few off the top of my head
amestris_star
Hiromu Arakawa (FMA - obviously, she's a goddess to me)
Toboso Yana (Kuro....suji)
Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
Katsura Hoshino (D. Gray-man)
Tite Kubo (Bleach)
and many others...
EniviD EiraM
hiromi arakawa, fukushima haruka and my bff's sis ! I love their drawings ! I envy 'em ...
I wish I can draw just like them ! =(
hawkflame
Hiromu Arakawa, as most of us can probably agree. Not only is she a good illustrator, but a dynamic visual storyteller. Her ability to compose a panel to maximize its dramatic potential is amazing, whether it be for an action scene, a suspenseful scene, or a quiet emotional scene.

Rumiko Takahashi- not the best illustrator in town, but again, great visual storyteller, especially in Maison Ikkoku. The emotional range shown in her characters is great - any artist can do "happy" or "sad", but it takes real skill to show "bemused" or "flustered".

I also really like Mizuki Kawa....a for her work on the female form in Ichigo 100%.
kazare
I really like Ryo Saenagi . . . The way he creates his manga is amazing . . . Like ohmy.gif
EniviD EiraM
fukushima haruka (mangaka of AAA and Cherry Juice), Chiba Kozue, and of course !

*ta-da !*

Matsuri Hino !

kyaa ! I so so love her art works ! and the way she drew Zero Kiryuu was really amazing !

smile.gif)
CutEowyn
Arakawa Hiromu happy.gif
Everything has been told about her.

Tsukasa Hojo
I'm a great City Hunter nostalgic, then his drawing is so... awesome. He's known for his female characters, but the men are still a good deal too ^^
His stories are kinda great too.

Yukito Kishiro (Gunnm)
His drawing just rocks. Amazing. Then I love Gunnm and Gally so... Very touching stories.
rosieechan
QUOTE (Naomi Kumikoh(cutiedivine) @ Dec 5 2009, 06:17 AM) *
hiromi arakawa

Hiromu ;D

My favorite manga artist is Arina Tanemura. Some people might disagree, but I've been into the shoujo-esqe style ever since I got into manga. Her artwork is not the best at action scenes, but the detail she puts in it is absolutely amazing. You can tell she works hard to draw the manga she's illustrated.

Examples:

Also, I find Kara's artwork to be pretty:

-not much detail, but I love how she draws eyes

And of course, Hiromu Arakawa. I love her style of laying out the manga scenes, they're so simple and easy to follow yet is amazing at the same time. She's skilled at drawing human body parts, DETAIL, and action moments. And I like her character designs. ;) I also love her humorous drawings. <3

Examples:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.