Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Mangacharacter Was The Least Like Their Animeversion?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
RoyxRizaFan
I hope this hasn't been done before...sorry if it has. Which character has the least in common between the anime and manga version and why do you think so?
Funkyduck
I think Sloth, because in the anime she was a homunculus that could turn her body into water, and in the manga Sloth was a male that was really weird looking, and I don't know what his power was.
swirlees
well actually about half the homunculi were different.

sloth, like you said, was this really creepy, muscley dude in the manga and was ed and al's mom in the anime
pride was the the kind bradley's son in the manga and bradley in the anime
wrath was bradley in the manga and izumi's child in the anime

personally i think that lust was the most different that both ways have. in the manga she was really evil-ish. in the anime, she changed and became good.
Funkyduck
Yeah, they changed a lot of the homunculi in the anime. Personally, I like Sloth and Wrath's anime versions better, so I'm not complaining.
winrys#1fan
I'd say sloth, they were two different characters altogether.
Twilightz
Rose, I'd say. She actually has a life and a personality in the manga.
Winry Elric
Four of the Homunculi: Sloth, Pride, Wrath, and Lust. Mostly Sloth though.
Becca-chan
Rose, if only for the things she went through after the whole Lior aspect.

Aside from that though...she eventually still had a life and a personality in BOTH media's ( if being a mother and adoptive mother wasn't a life, then I don't know what is tongue.gif )
Dark-Winds
I'm going to have to say Lust.

In the first anime, at the end she turned out to help the Elric brothers. And throughout the entire series she had deeper thoughts about humanity and what it really meant to be a human. She questioned her existence in the world and displayed a deeper, genuine side to a homunculi, and that they could possibly have human feelings as well.

However, in the manga, she was just down right evil. Straight to her death she was trying to do whatever it took to help Father.

But there were other characters who were pretty different as well.

In the first anime, Ed was very angsty, while in the manga he seemed happier and more willing to let loose.

In the first anime Riza was extremely monotone, and she didn't really have a personality. She was pretty boring. I mean, all I got out of it was that she followed Roy around and did as she was told. However, in the manga she displays much more emotion. When she thought that Lust had killed Roy she went psycho lol We even got to learn a little bit about her past with Roy and her father.

Roy is also pretty different. He seemed really angsty, as well. Sort of like Ed. He is in a state of depression over the Ishvalan War. However, in the manga, he carries on after the war, even though he may feel awful about what he's done. He also seems a little more carefree in the manga as well.
xUltimate_Shieldx
Lust was definitely quite different. She turned out to be good in the first anime, while in the manga she was just plain evil. In the anime she died helping Ed and Al; in the manga she was killed by Roy Mustang after she attempted to kill both him, Riza, and Al.

Envy was also pretty different. Envy was fueled by vengeance and hate towards Hoenheim and Ed. In the manga, however, he has no real connection to them, and instead is just a very sadistic evil little thing. He's more comical and outgoing.

Roy was also pretty bad. In the anime he was just a pile of angst, upset over his friend's death and the was in Ishval. In the manga he knew he had to always move forward. But even still concerning Hughes, he was not sad, but angry and set for revenge that really adds to his character later on.

xUltimate_Shieldx
Actually after thinking about it more, I'm going to have to say Selim Bradley. TOTALLY forgot about him. He goes from being the innocent nice son who gets strangled by his dad in the first anime to being the most powerful homunculus, Pride, who would now be the more likely one to strangle King Bradley xD
KimbleeWorshipper
QUOTE (xUltimate_Shieldx @ Jan 19 2011, 08:46 PM) *
Actually after thinking about it more, I'm going to have to say Selim Bradley. TOTALLY forgot about him. He goes from being the innocent nice son who gets strangled by his dad in the first anime to being the most powerful homunculus, Pride, who would now be the more likely one to strangle King Bradley xD

DUDE. Good point! Haha I didn't even consider Selim! I guess that's how insanely different he is.

But talk about a switch! In the first anime he's just some kid who gets his neck snapped by his psycho dad. Then in the manga he's this little creepy homunculus kid who kills people with the f*!@ing SHADOWS! THAT is a pretty huge 180 as far as characters go.
Envy's Lady
Well in the first anime a LOT of characters were very different from their manga version. I think Kimblee and Selim Bradley were both very different in the first anime from what they're really like. Selim I guess really is the most different. lol.

Brotherhood followed the same story as the manga so I wouldn't say anyone was so different in that.
Icefrosty
Manga Envy was also vastly different from the first anime. He had two completely different alternate forms (slug-Envy and giant-ugly-monster Envy) in comparison to the first anime 'Hohenhiem's son form' and 'wierd green dragon form'. Also completely different reasons for his invidiousness. Manga: All of humanity in general--made more sense for his character, really. 1st anime: Hohenheim + Elric brothers, and that's basically it.

Their appearances and limits of their powers were different too (although apperance was only a slight adjustment). Manga Envy had far more range in terms of shapeshifting ability to his/its predeccesor....Not that it did him any good because his/its fighting ability was basically nothing in comparison to said predeccesor.
BugzAttack
QUOTE (xUltimate_Shieldx @ Jan 19 2011, 08:46 PM)

Does anyone ever get the feeling that the anime producers knew what Arakawa was planning for future chapters and put that in just to screw with us?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.