Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 81 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Animeoldtimer
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 81 here. smile.gif

For info on the "Reading Reference", go to page 10.

======================

Here is the preview page of Chapter 81--Ooh Baby:
http://community.livejournal.com/hagaren_m...879139#t2879139

Preview Spoiler Summary is on page 2,

<Last edited by Michiyo- on Dec. 18, 2011>
Edamame
Thank you for sharing the images with us Animeoldtimer. Ed looks like he has certainly matured based off the second image; he really has some serious abs of steel there. (LOL, I think this might be Arakawa's way of appeasing her female fans of Ed.) Regardless, there is an odd sort of understated beauty in the second image.
Alchemical
Thanks for the image!

Wow.
Sexy Ed is sexy. 8D

He really has matured in the second picture from the first. In fact, he looks a bit older, especially around the face.

And his hair is LOVE. :'D

EDIT: Anybody notice the picture of Ed at the bottom of the cover? He has his winter hood up, and it looks like he's holding Al's armor head. I can't wait to see a larger image of it; it looks cute. xD
Chiyo
I think I just melted a little, no I really did. Wow she is really pushing the mature Ed image now, considering he could pass for his father at that age. There is something almost unnerving about the fact he has turned away from the viewer
Alchemical
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Mar 10 2008, 12:48 PM) *
I think I just melted a little, no I really did. Wow she is really pushing the mature Ed image now, considering he could pass for his father at that age. There is something almost unnerving about the fact he has turned away from the viewer

I agree with the unnerving bit.
It's almost like Arakawa is trying to foreshadow something.

*sigh* I'm probably thinking too hard about it; it probably doesn't mean anything. xD ;.;
Triss Hawkeye
I love the way the automail contrasts starkly with the softer look of the skin and hair.

And I agree, it's slightly unsettling that he is not facing us. Perhaps it represents the fact that he might be going through the darkest part of his story or some other representation of grief or something. Or he is turning away from the world of alchemy he used to love out of disgust or shame.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. tongue.gif

Either way, it's an amazing picture.
Havanese
WOW. O_O Ed looks so grown-up and mature! I love how Arakawa shaded his skin and the automail... wow...

QUOTE(Alchemical @ Mar 10 2008, 12:40 PM) *
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Mar 10 2008, 12:48 PM) *

I agree with the unnerving bit.
It's almost like Arakawa is trying to foreshadow something.

*sigh* I'm probably thinking too hard about it; it probably doesn't mean anything. xD ;.;

It is unnerving... I really think Arakawa is foreshadowing something. I'm not sure what, but something... I think this chapter is going to be very significant, and the beginning to something very significant (perhaps a new arc?).

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Ed looks really, really skinny? You can see his ribs very clearly... does this mean he can't get proper food wherever he is, or that Al's body has really taken a toll on his body?
APalchemist5
Hmm...We can see his ribs but I personally dont think he looks too unhealthy.

He does look very hott though:)

I love everyone's speculation about a new dark twist being forshadowed.

I cannot wait!

Alchemical
Havanese - I noticed that, too. I've seen in a few other pictures as well. If this picture is representing him after he was impaled, you have to wonder how much of toll that and Al's body have taken on him. Makes me anxious...

And, is it just me, or does Ed's automail look different? It looks... newerand, in a way, futuristic. Looks like he cleaned it while sidelined.
Tombow
Thank you, Animeoldtimer!! biggrin.gif
WOW, Ed is Baaaack!!
Those are very very nice pics!!
I have to to take my time to take it all in. laugh.gif
Kimi-N-Ed
sad.gif can someone post the pivture for me please? the link isnt workin for me thanks
CowAlchemist

*eyes pop out of head*

Haha, that Ed picture gave me the chills. I haven't had an Edward fangirling moment in a long time...

Arakawa-sensei's skills seem to be improving a bit! And the colors are gorgeous as usual.

Arakawa-sensei, please don't squash my last chance at EdWin! The anime ruined it!

I am kind of worried that he isn't facing us, though... I hope something bad isn't going to happen. This has me worried. D:

Edit - the pictures:

Kimi-N-Ed
sad.gif can someone post the picture please because the link isnt workin for me thanks sad.gifbiggrin.gif Thanks for posting the pictures biggrin.gif ohmy.gif WOW Ed looks sexy but it's still making me kinda worried unsure.gif
xAshleyElricx
yeah um hi XD

ok.. first thing is first... BWA SUPER SEXAY! (my baby is growing up D=)

2nd... i gives be a really bad feeling about the chapter... like,,, im reading this understanding comic book right now and it explains comic artists techniques and things that they do to imply something... i could help but notice that this picture is 1. tilted on a angle 2. of ed looking down, and 3. his face was hidden. please, PLEASE, dont hold me to this but in the book it says that those signs are often used for 'a last look'.... like i said, please dont hold me to that cause i dont know weather im right or wrong... but please let me be wrong DX
pawnedbyme
Wow finally Ed is back can't wait too see wut this chapter holds biggrin.gif
Izumi Sensai
It's like waiting to open your presents on X-Mas day.
Looks like we have a interesting road ahead of us and I can't wait to see where it leads.
biggrin.gif
AA battery
I love coping and pasting.

reaction #1: Who the hell is this?
reaction #2: Oh. Ed.
reaction #3: Ah. Mutation. Bean -> Macho. That's so wrong, man...

*gets shot*
I hope that's a typical reaction from a non-Ed fan.
Petite-Parfait
Haha, all of us are anticipating some sort of foreshadowing, when it might be just a drawing. xD At least we know you're all good Language Arts students, or just very observant!

This is the best week-before-spring-break present.

EVER. : D
nick fury
I can't believe some of the conclusions people are coming to from a picture. He can't get food(I think this is the funniest and my favorite) or he is facing down so he is going to die. If that book you are reading is about american comics one thing to consider is different cultures draw totally different meanings from things like this. Personally I see it as a older Ed who has seen and been through a lot and is much more mature from it all. He is ripping off his cloak, throwing away his dependence on alchemy and ready to kick the crap out of everyone who has messed with him and his friends and loved ones. I'm not saying he is done with alchemy, just that he knows his strength comes from deep inside not from alchemy.

And I so hope Ed gets with Rose just to irritate all the people who read such a good story and are concerned with pointless drivel like Ed and Winry hooking up. There is so much more to this manga than Ed and Winry, in fact it is so unimportant the subject has hardley even been acknowledged by the manga-ka in the story.
Sensenic
QUOTE(CowAlchemist @ Mar 10 2008, 10:56 PM) *
And the colors are gorgeous as usual.

I would say quite more gorgeous than usual.
Everyone seems to notice first/only Ed's growth/hotness, but people look at the coloring, the arm, the skin, the hair, the cape...

I think this is one of the finest colorings Arakawa has offered us to date.

Then again, I'm speaking from memory here, didn't bother to check other illustrations happy.gifU and I'm not precisely an art expert... But, man, it was love at first sight.
Chiyo
QUOTE(nick fury @ Mar 11 2008, 11:41 AM) *
And I so hope Ed gets with Rose just to irritate all the people who read such a good story and are concerned with pointless drivel like Ed and Winry hooking up. There is so much more to this manga than Ed and Winry, in fact it is so unimportant the subject has hardley even been acknowledged by the manga-ka in the story.

You want him to hook up with someone to spite the people who want him to hook up with someone? Anyway people who just want them to hook up have become dull, people try to debate if their relationship will add to the overall story rather than it being a side-story.

Anyway, when I said the image was unnerving I meant its like I'm looking and I shouldn't be as he isn't looking back! Still can also see why people took it as another form of unnerving too.
Havanese
QUOTE(nick fury @ Mar 11 2008, 06:41 AM) *
I can't believe some of the conclusions people are coming to from a picture. He can't get food(I think this is the funniest and my favorite) or he is facing down so he is going to die. If that book you are reading is about american comics one thing to consider is different cultures draw totally different meanings from things like this. Personally I see it as a older Ed who has seen and been through a lot and is much more mature from it all. He is ripping off his cloak, throwing away his dependence on alchemy and ready to kick the crap out of everyone who has messed with him and his friends and loved ones. I'm not saying he is done with alchemy, just that he knows his strength comes from deep inside not from alchemy.

I just thought he may not be able to get food because his ribs are more visible than usual (in my opinion)... it was just speculation. But, after your reading your post, I agree with your conclusions... I was probably over-analyzing the image. happy.gif

I see what you mean, but who Ed and Winry get together with at the end IS an important part of the story. Not the most significant part, but a part many readers are hoping Arakawa will have some conclusion to. We want to know who the characters will get together with at the end.

QUOTE(Sensenic @ Mar 11 2008, 06:56 AM) *
QUOTE(CowAlchemist @ Mar 10 2008, 10:56 PM) *
And the colors are gorgeous as usual.

I would say quite more gorgeous than usual.
Everyone seems to notice first/only Ed's growth/hotness, but people look at the coloring, the arm, the skin, the hair, the cape...

I think this is one of the finest colorings Arakawa has offered us to date.

Then again, I'm speaking from memory here, didn't bother to check other illustrations happy.gifU and I'm not precisely an art expert... But, man, it was love at first sight.

I'm not an art expert either, but I love it, too! I think it's one of my favorite color illustrations... Arakawa is a great artist!
Sannom
Especialy since no one is really concerned about this topic, since every and each main character of the manga seems to have his love interest confirmed and "canon" laugh.gif The only one who still needs someone is Scar (who said Rose tongue.gif ?).
Tombow
Chapter 81 Spoiler Preview Summary!!

(From this Japanese site.)

Start translating... ^^

Chapter 81

Caption: Unexpected reunion at an unexpected place!! The father's first word is...?

Despite their reunion they do no have much to say, and Hohenheim is needed for helping with chores, so he heads back.
Hohenheim: "I'm sure I don't have his trust as a father, and I don't know what to say to him."

Al apologizes to the town's people that by Al and Ed exposing the fraud of their religious leader it ended up inviting larger trouble to the town.
The town's people respond by saying Al and Ed did the right thing.
With that, Al follows Hohenheim to help with chores also.
Yoki, and the Chimera solders follow Al also.

Rose is asked by Al to shelter Winry in some hidden safe place.
Rose takes Winry, and Rose offer Winry to wash up first.
Rose and Winry have a friendly talk about Ed.

Rose: "We are no longer relying on 'Mircle,' and instead trying to regain our footings on our own. " "If we stayed the course and kept following our false religious leader, we might have had tuned into the part of their so-called "solders who would not fear death...."
(The pic of rows of "Immortal Army" hanging upside down over-wraps Rose's words.)

Elsewhere, in the Central, the scene is the continuation from the last chapter, with Major General Armstrong and Lieutenant General carrying on the conversation by the rows of upside down Immortal Army."

We are going to attach souls to these vessels with the shape of human bodies, and create an army of solders who do not fear own death.
The needed souls will be harvested from people who are killed in the war.
The battle fields will turn to our hunting ground to obtain large number of souls.... Lieutenant General continues his talk to Major General Armstrong.

Elsewhere....
Izumi is still on her trip. The Army hasn't found her yet. The Central Army continues the search for her.

Central, underground...
Bido, the lizard chimera is there, getting lost, and being chased by the chimeras who are guarding the place.
Bido ends up among those upside down vessels of "Immortal Army."
There is Greed....

Back to Reole.
Al and Hohenheim are talking. Al tells Hohenheim that the reason he wanted to check Reole was to search for the underground tunnel there, and tells him about informations he obtained so far, about "Father (not ho-ho but Homunculus)" and the nation-wide Transmutation Circle.

After hearing Al, Hohenheim asks Al: "What if I turned out to be someone on your enemy side?"
Hohenheim sees Al's expression that's showing that that thought has never occurred to AL.
Hohenheim to Al: "Thank you, for trusting me." And Hohenheim decides to tell everything to Al.
He also wants to tell to Ed, but Al tells Hohenheim that Ed is missing.

Some town, somewhere....

One of the chimera solders who helped Ed and then turned to Ed's side is withdrawing the allocated research funds to the State Alchemist at the bank. That alerted the military, and the solders from the military head to the town's hospital where Ed is staying.

The solders are just about to raid the hospital when Ed comes back from shopping. He sees the solders, and he plays "innocent" and asks the look out solders what kind of person they are going after, and the solder answers that they are looking for a "shorty." And hearing that Ed explodes and knocks out all the solders.

Chimera guy tells Ed that he should take it easy, as he is still recovering from the injury.
For that Ed answers: "I'm already recovered and in a top shape, with full of energy!!"

Caption: Return of Fullmetal Alchemist!!!

----------------------------------------
(End of choater 81)

Ed is baaaack!! biggrin.gif

(I got to run... I'll be back later and fix typos and other errors. ^^)
Animeoldtimer
QUOTE(Sannom @ Mar 11 2008, 09:43 AM) *
Especialy since no one is really concerned about this topic, since every and each main character of the manga seems to have his love interest confirmed and "canon" laugh.gif The only one who still needs someone is Scar (who said Rose tongue.gif ?).

Scar and Rose would be good, but what about Miles? No love for Miles? ohmy.gif
Here's someone:

laugh.gif laugh.gif
tongue.gif

I know wrong genre!

Edit: Thanks Tombow for the preview summary!
Havanese
Thanks a lot for the translation, Tombow! I really appreciate your hard work!

I feel sheepish now... I couldn't have been more off about this chapter! laugh.gif I'm so glad that Ed is alright, but I can't help but feel a little... disappointed. I was hoping for his return to be a little more dramatic and, from my impressions of the summary, it was a little lackluster. Does anyone else feel this way?

This chapter looks very good, though. I've been wanting to see Al meet Hohenheim for a long time, and the "immortal army" thing is brilliant. Can't wait for the RAW! biggrin.gif
Animeoldtimer
QUOTE(Havanese @ Mar 11 2008, 12:34 PM) *
I'm so glad that Ed is alright, but I can't help but feel a little... disappointed. I was hoping for his return to be a little more dramatic and, from my impressions of the summary, it was a little lackluster. Does anyone else feel this way?

I thought that too. However, being that this is a summary without the pictures, it could be more dramatic in the actual chapter. I'm hoping for that. happy.gif
APalchemist5
It is ok, I dont think your assumption was that rediculous, it made sense.

I am also really happy ed is doing ok, and if the soldiers cant tell that the "shorty" they were looking for was Ed (who was right in front of them)does that mean that he has definetly gotten taller?

I cannot wait for the chapter now! I hope that it is long and not rushed!

Animeoldtimer
"One of the chimera solders who helped Ed and then turned to Ed's side is withdrawing the allocated research funds to the State Alchemist at the bank."

laugh.gif Ed hasn't learned that you shouldn't give other people your account information! Oh NO!! Identity theft in Fullmetal Alchimist! tongue.gif

dry.gif sleep.gif Oh yeah the Trigham brothers did it in the anime. biggrin.gif
Alchemical
Thanks for the summary, Tombow!

But I agree with Havanese; Ed's return didn't seem as dramatic as I'd hoped it'd be. Then again, it's only a preview summary. Perhaps the actual chapter will give us more. Not to mention, Ed hasn't reappeared to his friends yet, either, especially since it finally seems like they're worried.
Edamame
Thank you so much for the preview translation Tombow. This chapter seems like it is certainly filled with different events. I can not wait to find out more information about the Immortal Army and what role they might play in subsequent chapters. (It kind of creeps me out that the souls will be harvested from victims killed in war.) I am glad to see that Izumi is back in the picture; I wonder what the Central Army will do if they were to find out about her location. I'm also glad to see that Ed has returned, although I agree that his return was a little mundane. (Here I was expecting this dramatic scene to play out. Oh well...) Anyway, it looks like a great chapter- all the pieces of the puzzle are beginning to fall in place.
CowAlchemist
Many, many, many thanks to Tombow for the translation!!!

It's funny:
The Edward fangirl-side of me (a side I actually haven't seen in a while) is ABSOLUTELY RELIEVED that Ed is alright and that his return was boring,
Yet the FMA manga fan-side of me is kind of disappointed. XD

So I'm fine. smile.gif And the 'shorty' reference was a nice thing to hear - I've missed that. :c
RoyxRizaFan
What do you mean by dramatic entrance? What did you expect him to do? It's either he's healed or he's not... (though I would have liked to have seen a little more of him) I'm sorry if i sound rude, i just don't know what you meant...

And so my signature remains...I was hoping it wasn't going to have the stay for long...*bangs head on wall*

happy to see Izumi. can't wait to read Rose and Winry's conversation. No word from Mei, though *worries*

Thanks Tombow and Animeoldtimer! I hope you don't mind that I linked the translation and pics to another forum (I credited you guys for it so i hope its OK)
Alchemical
QUOTE(RoyxRizaFan @ Mar 11 2008, 06:17 PM) *
What do you mean by dramatic entrance? What did you expect him to do? It's either he's healed or he's not... (though I would have liked to have seen a little more of him) I'm sorry if i sound rude, i just don't know what you meant...

I didn't expect him to run in fighting the Immortal Army or anything, if that's what you thought my 'dramatic' meant. I just figured--and hoped--his return wouldn't be as laid back as it seems. Don't get me wrong, I'm relieved he's okay, and I'll still love that scene, I just hope it has a bit more excitement than what it seems to have.

But I'm pissed there's no Roy, too. Again. *emo*
Izumi Sensai
Looks like a tension building chapter getting the pieces (pun intended) further into place for the story arc's climatic conclusion.
Animeoldtimer
I think his return was expected to be dramatic because his injury was so major. I was expecting to see him go through some of the healing process and see him with the doctors. I guess to move the story along Arakawa decided to skip that part and go right to where he is healed. I suppose she felt three chapters was enough time for him to recover. tongue.gif happy.gif
I am not SHORT!
yay! thanks for the translation Tombow!~
I already can't wait to get to work on the chapter!! >.<
Cerulean San
QUOTE(nick fury @ Mar 11 2008, 04:41 AM) *

Yeah, because PAIRINGS SHOULDN'T HAPPEN, AMIRITE? Only what you want should happen. Because pairrings are so over-rated, and we're all looking for something different and tragic and dry, yes? because a story's not good unless it's overflowing with nothing but plot, and no character interaction that happens in everyday life. (Hell, in everyday life, it's all "What dress should I wear? Would he like it? NUUUU")

Don't try to change the spirit of a story. You want no romance? go read Death Note! Why are you reading the FMA manga. Didn't Hughes constantly teasing Ed and Winry about getting it on clue you in, way back in volume four?

It's Arakawa's choice, and let those who want to enjoy it, enjoy it. Also, I find it hypocritical that one moment you say you don't like romance, next you say EdRose would be better?

Yeah...

EdWinry has been so blinding, of course it would make the EdWinry fans happy. And of course if would be fun for them (Haha, I'm speaking in third person). And if you have a problem with us having fun, well... :/

Like it or not, Arakawa loves family scenerios. Like it or not, Ed's prolly gonna get someone. Like it or not, it just might be the one girl who can scare him and make him melt (Haha, cheese much?).

But no, once a story has romance, IT IS TRASH! biggrin.gif YUH!

Aside from that, Tombow, thank you so much for the translations! <3
Chiyo
^I love you

Rose and Winry have a friendly talk about Ed.

See, harmony, EdWin fans and EdRose fans must unite in peaceful harmony and learn from these two though 'cat-fight' instead of 'friendly talk' would have been good too

Seems quite a slow paced chapter but I like the sound of it all the same, calm before the storm and all that. Shorty has gone and got himself all grown up but such words still upset him (yay Ed's back). Mostly looking forward to seeing Al and Hoho images
Animeoldtimer
Here's something to lighten things up a bit here since the one thing we have in common is our admiration for Ed.

I got this from tobu_ishi's posting in the hagaren_manga live journal site:

."..and steps into the light, revealing himself to be Edward Elric, looking tougher than ever with his hair loose around his shoulders and the groceries still cradled in his free arm. He clenches his automail fist, and declares that he's back at full throttle."

He just beat up three soldiers without dropping his grocery bag!!! laugh.gif ohmy.gif Now thats cool!!

In case anyone's interested it's 34 pages.
AA battery
first page posted by someone generous 8D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Alp...05290456594.jpg
<--- changed to a photobucket link. should work for everyone.

translations

Al/Win/Hoho: Ah...
Winry: Ed and Al's...
Winry+Al: Father?!
Hoho: My armor collection?! *ZOMGWTFLOLLLLLL XD*
Al: WRONG! (background says "Angry")
Hoho: Ah... I am sorry!

WIN. MADE OF WIN.
spoonyalchemist
^ XDDDDD That just made my day!

So when are we gonna get the full chapter? It's been a while. sad.gif
Tombow
@spoonyalchemist - This month's GanGan magazine with chapter 81 came out in Japan today.
I just checked, and now raw yet, but we are expecting to see the raw anytime now. smile.gif

@Animeoldtimer - That sounds cool! Thanks for that snippet!! ^^

@AA battery - LOL! That's so Ho-ho. XDD
spoonyalchemist
QUOTE(Tombow @ Mar 12 2008, 01:21 PM) *
@spoonyalchemist - This month's GanGan magazine with chapter 81 came out in Japan today.
I just checked, and now raw yet, but we are expecting to see the raw anytime now. smile.gif

Ohhh, it came out today? I never know the exact date, I just expect it around the 10th. Guess I just have to be a little more patient then. happy.gif Thanks for the info, Tombow.
Alchemical
So, no RAW yet? Well, it'll prolly be out later today or early tomorrow if it was released in Japan today. Then again, we've had to wait as long as the fourteenth. But it only builds up suspense for a bulky chapter. :3

QUOTE(AA battery @ Mar 12 2008, 03:06 PM) *

http://2cat.twbbs.org/~tedc21thc/new/src/1205290456594.jpg

Aw, it's not showing up for me. sad.gif But I read the translation...

omg Hoho's my hero. xDDDDDD
Causmicfire
QUOTE(AA battery @ Mar 12 2008, 11:06 AM) *

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Alp...05290456594.jpg
<--- changed to a photobucket link. should work for everyone.

translations

Al/Win/Hoho: Ah...
Winry: Ed and Al's...
Winry+Al: Father?!
Hoho: My armor collection?! *ZOMGWTFLOLLLLLL XD*
Al: WRONG! (background says "Angry")
Hoho: Ah... I am sorry!

WIN. MADE OF WIN.

From that page there is no denying that Ed and Al are brothers. lol
And yay for coloring.

Thanks, AA battery
Alchemical
Ah, that's better. ^^ Thanks, AA battery!

Al's expression is priceless. xD
Cerulean San
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Mar 12 2008, 02:36 AM) *
^I love you

Oh, I didn't notice this. biggrin.gif Thank you.

Oh, and to add another two cents in, to that guy, whatshisname, it's really up to a person to take what they want froma tale. Quoting from a favorite book of mine, "The tale is wiser than the teller". Say, you are reading a story about a bunch of people hiding from bad guys, and at one point they hide in an olive jar-- the person who you told the story to might just be enamoured with the concept of hiding in a olive jar and try it.

So yeah >.>;... EdWinry fans find EdWinry awesome while still enjoying the story.

Yeah, people come for the plot, but stay for the characters and how they interract --FACT.

I really don't see why that's so looked down upon here (prolly why I'll never regularly hang out here except for manga posts like these) but yeah... just wow. So immature, people trying to be all "deep" and going all "FMA is different and only how I see it, RAWR!"

/"Pointless drivel"
Animeoldtimer
I apologize for asking this, but my computer has been having problems. Is the Raw not out or is my computer not updating the site?

Back on topic: Cerulean San-I like Ed/Win too and agree with what you say, don't let the others get your goat. Just enjoy. biggrin.gif

I liked the first page. Al is great!

AAbattery Not to sound stupid but what did you mean by: "WIN. MADE OF WIN?"
Edamame
AnimeOldTimer,
The raw is still not out yet. I believe that the chapter just came out in Japan yesterday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.