Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nightwish
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Music
Triss Hawkeye
Nightwish has to be one of my favourite bands right now. Metal music combined with an orchestra to create some of the most amazing music ever. It also helps that the lyrics are beautiful and the vocalists very good (and for the record, I like Tarja and Annette equally, although Annette might just have the edge since the first Nightwish songs I heard were from Dark Passion Play - I'm quite a recent fan).

Another wonderful thing I like about Nightwish is that the songs are amazing, but if you just listen to the instrumentals you notice parts of the music you wouldn't have before (it also makes for very good writing music, I find, just randomly).

I am also of the opinion that some of the religious themes in their music are best in this sort of music, since it is so dramatic and large-scale that it seems to fit naturally.

But anyway, any other fans out there? I was going to go to a concert of theirs in Glasgow next March but I can't because I have a school trip to Iceland then which I have paid for over the past year. T_T
Carnal Malefactor
Nightwish is boooooooooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiing
Fushi
I only like one song and that's nemo. The rest of their songs bore me. Nothing that great.
ChibiKawaii--x
I think i like them.

I really like the song The Kinslayer.
Ya know, If I have the right band,
lawl.
Twilightz
Nightwish is okay, but I don't listen to them very much.

I don't know what to think about the new album. Anette Olzon has a nice voice, but it's nothing compared to Tarja's. :/
Chiyo
I think they sound the same as other groups in that genre, like a lesser known Evanescence, its a nice sound now and then but nothing for me makes this particular band stand out from the rest.
The Mad Bomber
Okaaaayyy, those who say that Nightwish is the same as Evanescence and less known, serious just stop right there and don`t talk about things you don`t know about. No offense, but Nightwish is well known and very popular in Europe for that matter not to mention many other places. The new developments in the band have been for the better and Triss up above already made good comments. The new album is very good and I think Annette might fit the band better cause she isn`t all that opera stylish etc, if you watch a show of theirs you know what I mean.

I am a fan and have been for a time, naturally cause I am from Finland and here it`s impossible not to have heard about them. Nightwish is probably going to be even more well known after their tour to come, I myself also have a ticket to their show next month when they come to Joensuu, my bro went to Helsinki to see their show and by the feeling his description has given me, the show is going to be awesome.
Carnal Malefactor
LOL

Too bad that when you list the best metal bands out of Finland, Nightwish doesn't even crack the top-100.
Fushi
QUOTE(The Mad Bomber @ Nov 17 2007, 12:20 AM) *
Okaaaayyy, those who say that Nightwish is the same as Evanescence and less known, serious just stop right there and don`t talk about things you don`t know about. No offense, but Nightwish is well known and very popular in Europe for that matter not to mention many other places.

Chiyo happens to be from Europe ya know....
coyote_sprit
QUOTE(Carnal Malefactor @ Nov 17 2007, 03:03 AM) *
LOL

Too bad that when you list the best metal bands out of Finland, Nightwish doesn't even crack the top-100.

Maybe on your list but in Finland and Norway they are extremely well liked. So much so that Dark Passion Play has the biggest album budget in Finland's history.
The Mad Bomber
QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Nov 17 2007, 11:45 AM) *
QUOTE(The Mad Bomber @ Nov 17 2007, 12:20 AM) *
Okaaaayyy, those who say that Nightwish is the same as Evanescence and less known, serious just stop right there and don`t talk about things you don`t know about. No offense, but Nightwish is well known and very popular in Europe for that matter not to mention many other places.

Chiyo happens to be from Europe ya know....

And how does that change things? But I am not in the mood to argue about that, but I think what I said is still quite true, but of course one might ask how known do you have to be in order to be well known? Still I hardly think Nightwish is anywhere near Evanescence, both have female singers, true, but the music itself has many differences.
Fushi
QUOTE(The Mad Bomber @ Nov 17 2007, 02:59 AM) *
And how does that change things? But I am not in the mood to argue about that, but I think what I said is still quite true, but of course one might ask how known do you have to be in order to be well known? Still I hardly think Nightwish is anywhere near Evanescence, both have female singers, true, but the music itself has many differences.

Because it seemed like you mistook her for an american or something just because she said Nightwish is less known.

It's not something to argue over, it's just a point brought up in case you thought of her that way.

Evanescene is utter shet. Nightwish's sound is similar to Evanescene in a way, if you've never heard them before it's the first thing that comes to mind. But even someone who doesn't care for them like me knows that they are far better than Evanescene and there's differences....one of which being the former female singer of Nightwish actually knows how to sing properly and her voice is rather resonating. (this is judging off what songs of their's I heard tho)
Triss Hawkeye
I think there's quite a difference between Nightwish and Evanescence. They do have music and themes on the darker side, but their style is noticably different. I don't mind Evanescence, but I prefer the former by far. The music is so much better.
Chiyo
Operatic, female lead singer, gothic style...thats the basis of the bands, same goes for Within Temptation."melodic heavy metal with a female vocalist" is a quite to explain their style. Triss mentioned their religious themes, I was saying what other band is like that. Though they may differ, one may be much better, to someone who'll just listen on a whim they are almost the same sound until you explore further. People get too defensive about their music taste, but I'll tell you one thing my sister only found bands like Nightwish because they reminded her of Evanescence, she wouldn't have found Nightwish before Evanescence anyway because the one is globally better known.

Note those key words I said "sound" the same, not "is" the same, read what I write before getting agitated.

UK, Evanescence hits charts and climbs high, Nightwish don't, thats fact and thats that! I was wrong to suggest Europe doesn't know them that well, you were wrong to say I have no idea what I'm talking about. In terms of globally well known, those that peak in the U.S WILL become better known than in a smaller nation, thats why so many groups try to break in to the U.S market, including Nighwish.
WhiteLadyoftheRing
I happen to love all three of these bands (Nightwish, Within Temptation and Evanescence).

Particularly Nightwish (with Tarja for now, the new CD is on my Christmas list), but I'm also an opera freak and Tarja was part of what attracted me to them in the first place.

::. . . stays out of any arguments on popularity, etc.::

Nice to meet you all!
Triss Hawkeye
Sorry Chiyo, I certainly didn't mean to imply anything...

I guess on the surface the two bands would seem similar - it's only once you've listened to them that you can easily tell them apart.
Chiyo
You implied they have a religious theme, which they do, you also didn't get all damn pissy because I'd mentioned Evanescence either (wasn't moaning at you anyway dear). You're right to in that if you listen to them both enough you can tell a difference, but by that point it means they have caught your interest enough to find the differences (I mean that in terms of any band really where another sounds similar, like all the new "indie boy bands", they are all blending into one)
dion-fortune
I like Nightwish smile.gif but with Tarja smile.gif their new album is just not what it used to be... But itīs a good band. Some of their songs are just brilliant. My favourites are Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan, Wish I Had an Angel, Walking in the Air and from the new album Amaranth. wink.gif
kkg22104
Eh? Did not know this thread even existed...haha it's been 2 years XD

I recently started listening to them ("Last of the Wilds" is playing right now :3) and I like both singers equally smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.