Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ghost Hunters (a.k.a. TAPS), Real or Fake?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Movies, TV Shows, & Other Videos
Little Washu
For those who haven't seen/not able to watch this TV program, it's an U.S. TV show called "Ghost Hunters" and it shows a group/company called TAP (the Atlantic Paranormal Society) that goes around the country and investigates haunted houses, schools, factories, etc., with reported paranormal activities. smile.gif

I was watching Ghost Hunters live last night(I only watched about 2 hours since it went from 9:00PM to 3:00AM) and I thought to myself: Is this even real? Throughout the series, I've seen tables flip, chairs move and little orbs of light, but that all could've been fake. And I don't believe in ghosties so I'm unsure if it's real. But do any of you think it is?
Disastorm
QUOTE(Little Washu @ Nov 1 2007, 01:33 PM) *
I was watching Ghost Hunters live last night(I only watched about 2 hours since it went from 9:00PM to 3:00AM) and I thought to myself: Is this even real? Throughout the series, I've seen tables flip, chairs move and little orbs of light, but that all could've been fake. And I don't believe in ghosties so I'm unsure if it's real. But do any of you think it is?

I think its real.
Razzy
Besides the fact that I have an obsession with paranormal activity...

If it was staged, they would probably make the show a lot more interesting. I mean, I think most of the episodes are crap because usually nothing ever happens.

Ghosts can be real, though. Some things in this world just can't be explained.
Forgiven
I go back and forth. It could be fake, who knows? Why don't you ask scooby -douche himself?
Chiyo
Speaking of ghosts, we reviving the dead here? I will add something to this though, something Razzy mentioned about making it more interesting if it were staged.

The UK has Most Haunted, and I have two of the boxsets on DVD (one includes my own town and the other a place I know well). In the 3rd series a bump or orb is raved about as the most astounding thing to happen. In series 9, ghosts knock on command and stones are thrown in just about every episode. Do the ghosts know they have to put on more of a show to keep the audience?

However I'm completely skeptical, I watch the show as it amuses me and I like seeing all the places they visit.
Tombow
QUOTE (Chiyo @ Aug 10 2009, 09:22 AM) *
Speaking of ghosts, we reviving the dead here?

Gahaha, as the luck has it, this series, "Ghost Hunters" is still going strong in the U.S., so I guess this thread is still relevant. ^^ I should add though, that the series has changed the format since it started a few years ago. In the first season, it was more chronicling the birth of TAP as an company, and had more sensationalizing (IMO) but not very scientifically proven stuff inserted in the episodes (such as CLEARLY understandable some audio recording, like as if someone is talking to you right next to you) as the "evidence." XDD

But, the show has since changed it's format very much, and now the group (TAP) is very much organized and so as their method of going about and investigating the requested location, and IMO the show stopped making some overly sensationalized claims and stick to mundane, but more credible claims such as some garbled audio recording and stuff.

So, for the first season of the show I pretty much think that was fake, and now it's "maybe." The show is getting kind of repetitive, IMO, though. I don't watch it these days. ^^

BTW, one thing I don't understand (or kind of chuckle about it) is that their big "investigation" routine (the show makes a big deal about this routine ^^) is done at night and they always turn off all the lights to investigate, EVEN if/when the case presented has the reported sighting incidents that were all involved in broad DAYLIGHT or with lights on. tongue.gif
Little Washu
QUOTE (Tombow @ Aug 10 2009, 12:31 PM) *
QUOTE (Chiyo @ Aug 10 2009, 09:22 AM) *
Speaking of ghosts, we reviving the dead here?

BTW, one thing I don't understand (or kind of chuckle about it) is that their big "investigation" routine (the show makes a big deal about this routine ^^) is done at night and they always turn off all the lights to investigate, EVEN if/when the case presented has the reported sighting incidents that were all involved in broad DAYLIGHT or with lights on. tongue.gif

Wow...I made this how long ago? Talk about a bump.

Anyway, as for the investigation routine, I've heard that paranormal activity is strongest at 3:00 AM, because that's "the time of Satan" or something.

My own opinion: it's all staged, the do it at night to increase what would be the scare factor. My favorite show on Sci-fi/Syfi was Destination Truth, and I was a tad bit skeptical about that (DT was better though, in that they looked for other things like myths and stuff, and they were pretty darn funny)
ScarMySoul
I believe that they are true with what they do. If they can try and debunk something they will. Last night I was on hulu.com watching one where they were in Virginia at Robert E Lee's house and they debunked a latch being un done, a door swinging open, and creepy feelings due to high EMF's... They don't just go in and say holy .... this place is haunted.

There are some things that are just downright creepy on the show, like when they were in Ireland with Barry, (who is now on GHI), and they were being followed by what they call Faeries over there... and they actually captured a face...

I love the show. wub.gif
beastPlushi
My ex is friends with one of the guys that WAS on that show. I don't believe he's still on it, it was one of the earlier seasons when they had their "live" episode. Any way, it goes like this:

1) The show is real
2) Some of the tools used are theory, not proven, are a gimmick
3) Everything they catch on camera is authentic
4) They have been tricked before by the residence of the estate itself, looking for publicity

Now, what it boils down to: Do you believe when something super-natural occurs in the show, that it is indeed para-normal, or rather an anomaly that could be explained in the realm of science of solid material were present, etc.

As for me, I don't like believing in wandering spirits. Stems back to my private school days, but I will concede to the possibilities.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.