Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nanowrimo!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks > Fanfics
Triss Hawkeye
In case you didn't know, the month of November is National Novel Writing Month, in which many people around the globe take on the seemingly impossible task of churning out a 50,000 word novel in one month. Yep, you heard me.

Any out there taking part? This thread can be used to discuss plots, word count and to cheer each other on! smile.gif
Amethyst Sunset
I'm BituingAlay on NaNo.

I managed to complete it last year (Yes, I need a life XD), and I want to try again.
Triss Hawkeye
Yay! I go under the name of Triss_Hawkeye (with the underscore) so feel free to add me as a writing buddy. smile.gif
Amethyst Sunset
Hmm...where IS that search function? Maybe they did take it down for a while. XD I'll add you as soon as I find it.

So, any plans for your novel? I want to do some original fiction myself, medieval fantasy-type, to be exact.
Triss Hawkeye
Ooo, funny you should say that - I thought I'd try something different. I'm a fantasy writier, but this time round I'm writing the typical elves/dwarves/dragons/werewolves/vampires etc type story but set in modern times. Should be interesting! (By the way, if you think of any really common or cliched races that I've missed please tell me smile.gif).
Chiyo
I'm going to try, but if I get a job that'll come first. I have it all planned out now at least, an amusing look at life through the eyes of a cynic. ChiyoRyans the name
seventh_sky
I'm on the nano site as saffiremoon21, but I'm never active on there >_>

but yaaaay for nanowrimo. It sounds like fun (this is my first year)
Amethyst Sunset
Only a couple of days to go! (At least, on my timezone)

Here is my profile page. happy.gif I'll just ask for everyone's links so I can add from there. For some odd reason I can't find the search option XD
Triss Hawkeye
No, there doesn't seem to be one. Find me here.

EDIT: One and a half hours to go my end. Good luck everyone!
Chiyo
1000 words done, hahaha oh God its going to be awful
Toby-Chan
I have no plot idea at all, so I'm just going to start writing some inner-monologue memoir-ish crap and see where that takes me. Whee!
Triss Hawkeye
(Like the avi and sig, Chiyo! ^^)

1095 words in! Just under 600 words to go to meet the daily taget. xD
Chiyo
6000 words, I am SO on a roll even if it is gobbly-gook.

Hope everyone else is going okay (Thanks Triss)
Toby-Chan
Not... a... word. ;_;

I'm so screwed! *procrastinates more in the vain hope that something will come along and hit me over the head with a plot.*
Triss Hawkeye
*hits Toby-chan over the head with a plot*

Write the memoirs of someone who was falsely accused of being head of a terrorist cell or something and spent their life on the run while trying to prove their innocence. Not original at all, but I'm sure you could put some lovely twists in it.

I don't know, first thing that popped into my head. tongue.gif
Toby-Chan
Meh.

Has anyone else noticed that the NaNo website is still ungodly slow? It's hardly changed since they had the excuse of upgrades in early october.
Razzy
This sounds like fun. I'll attempt to make a story, but I'm rushing myself too much and I can't seem to make a good plot. *realizes that she has far too little experience in writing and is definitely not a 14-year-old prodigy* *headdesk*
ed_drink_your_milk
For anyone struggling, I find it helpful to draw a plot map. It doesn't have to follow your original plot; it's just a chance to make up as many ridiculous plot twists as you want, no matter how cliché they may be. Eventually, one of them tends to evolve into something genuinely useful. Or, I sometimes plan out a character’s death. I don’t actually kill off the character, but it gets the creative juices going and a bit of morbid fun is always helpful. And fun.

Although, I guess I'm not really one to talk, considering I still have 800 words to go...
Razzy
Thanks for the advice, milky! My thoughts are much more organized now ^^ (even though I am still far behind on my typing .___.)
Triss Hawkeye
Don't worry about the website Toby-chan. It's always hellishly slow the first few days, it's a bit better now. I'm waiting for the word count widgets to put in my sig. smile.gif
Chiyo
Yea I'm finding the site slow.

I've managed to plan everything now. How many chapters there will be, what each chapter will contain and how long each one should be. I probably won't end up following it too well but its a start.

Need to get going on todays work, haven't done any so far today, but luckily I am ahead.
Amethyst Sunset
SITE TRAFFIC. I BLAME THE SITE TRAFFIC. x_x

As for my progress, since I left with my parents to go to the province, I missed a day and I'm currently at around 4k. Last year, I already had a plot in hand, and this one is more impromptu compared to the one I created last November.
Toby-Chan
omigawd u gaiz!

I has lyke, 300 words!

: D ...

*dies*

Edit-

I wrote an 'intro' chapter involving an emotional breakdown over a crappy salad and an ironic disdain for Catcher in the Rye.
Amethyst Sunset
Phew. 6,700-something words and counting.

I managed to add quite a bit of shounen-ai into my work despite the fact that I am a hardcore het fanatic. XDDDDD Well, 'tis practice.
Chiyo
The last 2000 words were horrid to write, they were such a struggle. I hope it will flow easier now, but still 9000 words ish isn't too bad.
Amethyst Sunset
Go, everyone! happy.gif We can all do this!

I'm at 13k right now...and time to go to bed and continue tomorrow XD
Triss Hawkeye
W00t! I have breached the 11000 word mark and have a pack of Haribo by my laptop for a much needed sugar rush when I sit down to write. laugh.gif

Daisuke just came up to me and charmed me into giving him a key part in my book and is now my muse, patiently giving me tips and advice. It is bizarre. Anyone else come across themselves suddenly writing about a character like this, especially if you never planned them in the first place? xD
Chiyo
Just about passed the 16k mark last night and happily did it in good time. There are parts of this novel that are going to read so dull, and they were dull to write, but then I pick up here and there and enjoy writing once again.
Triss Hawkeye
You're doing better than me. I'm still stuck in the mid-12000s, and I've just realised that I really need to move on with my plot. laugh.gif
Chiyo
Yes mine seems to be going no-where and I can't imagine its a fantastic read, I tried to add a little drama last night to pick things up. Actually just about to hit a Christmas time in my stort so that should be fun to write
Triss Hawkeye
My two MCs just had a completely unplanned MAJOR fallout. >.>
Razzy
I still don't even have 2,000 words yet. D:

As for my story, it's sort of like an adventure type of story. I'm only up to the part where the two main characters meet each other. >>
Chiyo
I passed the half way point, oh joy be to all that is written hahaha
Toby-Chan
Um, yeah. With 4000 words on the 17th, things aren't looking up for me.

But. I'm going to keep at it.

Because Neil Gaiman told me to.

He was talking to me, you know.
Chiyo
I'm just on the cusp of the 40,000 words mark. I think I might actually pull this off...won't get me anywhere...but I'll feel so proud.
Triss Hawkeye
I've only just passed halfway. I am dedicating Sunday solely for writing at this rate. xD
Chiyo
I have passed the 50k mark, I did it last night, YAAAAAAAY
Triss Hawkeye
Well done! You're a winner! I'm seriously considering pulling an all-nighter tonight. I'm still 10000 words behind, and will have virtually no time to write tomorrow...eek!
Toby-Chan
I need to write 10-15,000 words.

I can do it.
Amethyst Sunset
To everyone who finished...CONGRATULATIONS! happy.gif And congrats to me too XDDDDD *dances* Phew.

And to those who aren't...well, keep going! You can do it!
Triss Hawkeye
Gah, I backed out at 42000 words. ><

A lot better than last year though (12000-ish xD).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.