Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shounen Or Shojo?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga
Fujihakama
Is a girls manga better than a boys one?

Personally, I don't mind a bit of blood and guts.
Shounen for me! But then again, some of the shojo manga are hillarious!
Innocent-malice
I prefer shonen but I read alot of shoujo as well. I probably have a ratio of 75% shonen and 25% shoujo but thats pretty good considering I watch so much anime to the point I think my brain might explode. laugh.gif
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Fujihakama @ Oct 20 2007, 04:49 AM) *
Is a girls manga better than a boys one?

Seinen and Josei.
Those are manga target towards to wide demographic of 18-30+ men and women respectively and range from Yotsuba to Berserk.
Seinen = win.
Tris the Reaper
I personally like shoujo alot more than shounen.

I dunno, I guess the mushy stories in alot of shoujo appeal to me more. That, and shounen has a severe tendency to drag on forever. Plus battles don't usually entice me.

But I agree with Popo. Seinen is nifty.
Nekokitty
I'm open to both.
But I don't really like shoujo that is too mushy or ridiculus which alot of it is.
And I don't really like Shounen that drags on and on. *coughsNarutocoughs*

But yeah like Popo said, Seinen is win. <3
Anyarel
Shonen because most of the mangas I read are shonen.
The only shoujo I read is Fruits Basket. ^^
sd0711
Shounen mangas are the best. Shoujos are ok, but they cannot leave a deep impression
Kari_Neko
Most of the manga I've read were Shounen the only shojo manga I've read is Fruits Basket and Ouran High Host Club.
Shirai
Shounen mangas are the best. Shoujos are ok, but they cannot leave a deep impression

Exactly biggrin.gif
Havanese
It depends on the quality of the manga; some shounens are better than some shoujos, and vice versa. But I prefer shounen in general because I like action. smile.gif Also, a lot of shoujos are way too melodramatic for my taste (though I do love Fruits Basket, so...).
Waprom
Shonen ! Shonen ! ^^
I don't like story of shojos...
Omamori
Shojo, in my opinion, is too mushy and girly for my taste (all the guys look like girls for crying out loud!), so, I'm a shounen fan all the way!! I just LOVE violence and blood in my mangas!! XD
WeiS Blitz
Shonen and Seinen are my favs. Violence, action, collectible items galore.

I may be female, but I find most Shojo manga too fluffy.
Satori
First and foremost, I read just about anything I can get my hands on. So I really don't care one way or the other. But I seem to own more shoujo/josei, so maybe my collection is reflecting a subconscious preference. I do know that I often prefer my boys to be pretty...
Hanekko
Umm, I read more shoujo but I tend to enjoy reading shounen manga more than shoujo manga.
Razzy
I prefer shounen over shojo. I like violence and fighting in manga, but if that's the only thing that the story is filled with, then I don't think that I'd want to read it. Sometimes I'll buy a shojo manga, though I feel that shojo is a bit too 'unrealistic', I guess? Like, that's kind of stupid to say, considering it's a manga, so it's not supposed to be realistic, but I feel that the romance stories in shojo could never really happen in real life. I guess I'm just trying to say that some shojo are too mushy for me. >.<
Kal Rommel
I'm seriously the only one who voted shoujo...
Well, I'm glad I did >w<;

Personally, I like them both a lot. I started out on shonen, then worked my way to shoujo as I got older and my manga spectrum increased.
Red Shrimp
I prefer shounen. I like the different stories, characters and issues revolving for each stories. It has more impact than Shoujo, IMO.
kkg22104
I read both (and seinen too), and there are some really good series in both categories but overall I still prefer shounen biggrin.gif The action and plot are just more interesting, and shoujo makes me want to puke sometimes when it gets all romantic with hearts and flowers everywhere...bleh.
Mhacy
Shounen ftw...but i like some shoujo manga as well for example shugo chara..maybe because of ikuto...he's different on a typical shoujo manga bishies..still shoujo manga doesnt attract me..I like some action, adventure, fight scenes that shounen manga's have..and the story is epic and you will learn lots of lessons in life..that's shounen!^^
paperstars
Even though I'm a girl, shounen. Whenever there's romance in shoujo I want to yell "get on with the plot!!". But in small doses it's fine, I adore any romance in shounen manga. And the fight scenes. Yush. biggrin.gif
Rainshine
I've never really read much Shoujo, but from what I did read, I think I like Shounen better.
I don't really know why... maybe it's the fight scenes. rolleyes.gif
Elle-chan
Shounen. Never really got into Shojo
Hotmustard
Shounen is my first choice. All the shoujo's charaters seem silly to me, even the protagonist. When I read a manga what I care the most is its theme. Shounen does a terrific job delivering the moral lesson to me in a very plausible way, while the theme in shoujo is normally cheap and absurd.
Juozas
I prefer Shounen over anything. I don't realy read Shojo by general, but sometimes look onto it. I don't see the interest on Shojo anyway...
Illuminating-Darkness
I actually prefer shounen coz to me, some shojo are so incredibly stupid...
A Pierrot's Aria
I much prefer shounen, I tend to find the stories are generally a lot better and the female characters are a little more tolerable. xD
Akira Mikk
I hate Shojo it's too girly and romantic for me. I love Shounen it stops me from using violence in the real world biggrin.gif
BirdieNumNum
I'm not a big fan of shojos. The romances are too fluffy and in-your-face for my taste. In the few shojos that I have read, I find myself hoping that the couple DON'T end up together, that's how much they annoy me.
EniviD EiraM
Shojo ! Shojo !

that's the voice coming from the girls behind me.....

I think Full Metal Alchemist is the only Shounen I like....
common Shounen mangas are action and violence and drama and adventure but
FMA is more way than just those .... it always has a touch of a Full Metal Heart ... agree.gif
Jeneration
When I started reading manga, I read the shounen series first, but over time I started getting into shoujo series. Most shoujo is too fluffy, unrealistic, and just too girly! I couldn't stand reading shoujo after a while, but I found a couple of shoujo series that I could actually get into and that actually made sense, if you know what I mean. But most of my favorite series are shounen, like Dragon Ball, Shaman King, and of course, Fullmetal Alchemist! : D
Deadbeat007
Definitely shounen for me. I love me a good fight scene.
RoyxRizaFan
When I was younger, it was all Tokyo Mew Mew and pretty much everything written by Koge Donbo, but...Fullmetal Alchemist changed my life xP Okay, not really. I still like shoujo, but I find that I approach it with caution a lot more than I used to because of all the cliches, and Mary Sues make me sick. Shoujos like Ouran (a sattire of shoujo cliches!) and Fruits Basket (which developed well and really left an impression on me) are great, but other some can fall into the same trap as, say, Vampire Knight (which I used to enjoy a lot): average girl, mysterious guy, and anger management dude: which will she choose???! It gets old...

Same can go for shounen, when they go on forever and the people keep leveling up, it can get tedious. I've read a lot of excellent shounens, though (such as FMA, Black Butler, Death Note, D. Gray Man, and Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro) which are not only ineresting and original, but also make you think at times. I feel like the writers explore more story lines than average shoujo writers, who play by the rule of an average girl with huge eyes stuck in a love triangle...

Currently I go for shounen more, but if a shoujo is original enough, I can enjoy it just the same.
KoolCat
I like a good, moving story regardless of genre, but most Shojo I've read just annoys the crap outta me. So, I pick Shonen (although most over-the-top, plotless, fight heavy Shonen annoy me too. Hence, why I read FMA)
EniviD EiraM
~ Shounen Manga With Some Shoujo Twist And School Life Category Manga Recommendation S Pleeease ! ~

my title sounds a bit weird so to sum it up,

I want a mix of shounen-shoujo-slice of life manga to read .. thanks !

smile.gif

<Thread merged to Shounen/Shojo thread. ~ Board Staff> smile.gif
Forsaken Love
i havnt actually read/watched barely any of this (it annoys me the cardcaptors characters are reused) I am intending to pick this series back up! Anyway the recomendation is tsubasa chronicals, from first impressions and little bits I know about it, I think it fits into what your lookin for =3

edit: sorry its not a school life one though! >_< I'll keep thinking
rosieechan
I'm a huuuuuuge shoujo manga reader.
Granted, most shoujos are full of cliches, but they're fun to read anyway. Some mangakas can write/draw cliches really well, which I like! It helps me take my mind off things.
FMA, Death Note, and Inuyasha are probably the only three mangas I've read that aren't shoujo. laugh.gif
I don't read that much shounen...or any other...unless it's a good story (like FMA biggrin.gif) that appeals to anyone...then I'll read it. But mostly I'm more into romance and school life. XD

And yes, I'm quite a bit of a girly girl. happy.gif
Emily_BrokenAngel
Absolutely shounen...

I prefer action, suspense, a few drops of blood and real comedy, rather than a pink life style
I tried to read Shojo once....and I didnīt like it at all >_<

Pink + pink + pink = Sick Emily
Dark-Winds
Shojo. I really like romance and drama. But especially drama lol

Surprisingly, FMA is one of the only shounen that I got really into. But it's my favorite xD Maybe it's because of the drama.
xUltimate_Shieldx
QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 18 2011, 09:20 PM) *

Surprisingly, FMA is one of the only shounen that I got really into. But it's my favorite xD Maybe it's because of the drama.

I totally agree! I'm such a sap for a good drama, it's pretty terrible. I love making myself cry xD Plus I'm a sucker for all the romance too, even though strangely enough I never get too into any of the couples in Shojo.

And yeah, FMA is my favorite manga ever, but pretty much the only shounen that I find amazing. I think it's cause shounen's are just nonstop pointless fighting and yelling and the repetitiveness just gets annoying. FMA was very different though; it had a good plot.

I suppose I just prefer character development to constant fighting. FMA just happened to have
an incredible balance of both.
rosieechan
QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jan 18 2011, 10:20 PM) *

I agree with this. happy.gif

Plus I'm a sucker for all the romance too, even though strangely enough I never get too into any of the couples in Shojo.

And yeah, FMA is my favorite manga ever, but pretty much the only shounen that I find amazing. I think it's cause shounen's are just nonstop pointless fighting and yelling and the repetitiveness just gets annoying. FMA was very different though; it had a good plot.

FMA just happened to have
an incredible balance of both.

And this. laugh.gif Except I get into one or two couples in shoujo...but not that much. Not as much as in FMA. XD

FMA's good balance is what appeals fans from both shoujo and shounen. ^^

KimbleeWorshipper
I absolutely have to say shounen. I really, honestly hate most shojo. For one, I CRAVE action and fight scenes. Plus I feel like shojos are just packed with copious amounts of drama. Please. There's enough drama in real life. I can't stand to deal with much more than that. Don't get me wrong. Some people love it. It's just not my cup of tea.

I feel like the plot lines in shounen are just way more appealing too. Most shojos that I've read are totally driven by random sad stuff that's supposed to make you feel bad for people and squee at super cute romantic moments. But shounen tends to be a lot more unique and well-developed in story lines.

And by the way... a big "tsk tsk" to whoever might say that shounen is just a bunch of "pointless fighting." I've heard that many times before and I strongly disagree. Just because there's a lot of fighting, doesn't mean that it's pig-headed or anything. But I'll stop ranting pointlessly... *gets smacked*

Shojo's got romance, and romance is always nice, of course. But you can find plenty of romance in shounen as well.

So I honestly have no reason to favor anything else smile.gif
rosieechan
I understand where people are coming from when they like shounen better, lol.

I think the reason why fans don't get into too many pairings in shoujo (even though it's romance) is because of the plot...I mean, most shoujos I read are just meant for entertainment, not for in depth discussion like in FMA. XD There are only a couple of shoujo manga that I would pick out to discuss over.

Anyway, just as shoujo can get annoying with its characterization and lack of a decent plot, shounen has its bad sides, too, like pointless fighting or long, endless arcs.

FMA is consistent, its battle scenes aren't pointless or repetitive, its characterization and plot is amazing...and basically ANY kind of fan can like it...from any genre. It's like Harry Potter (I compare everything to HP, sorry, it's a habit!) - anyone can enjoy FMA, whether they're into romance or sci-fi or action, etc.

Anyway, it's all about opinion and preferences on which you think is better. I love romance and drama, and others love action and fighting. :3 That's pretty much what it all comes down to.
PwnedByPineapple
For me, it depends. There are good things and bad things about both genres, and you can find crap in both of them. What I really like is a mix - I like fighting and drama in decent amounts, and I like a little romance and comedy to go with it. I guess I just like balance. Like FMA. happy.gif

For shounen, I like things like FMA, Death Note, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, D.Gray-man.
For shoujo, I like stuff like Ouran, D. N. Angel, Fruits Basket, Dengeki Daisy.

My favorite thing is when a manga really sticks with me, no matter what the genre may be. Too much battling or too much mush = no. Balance = yes.
rosieechan
QUOTE (PwnedByPineapple @ Feb 22 2011, 06:39 PM) *
For me, it depends. There are good things and bad things about both genres, and you can find crap in both of them. What I really like is a mix - I like fighting and drama in decent amounts, and I like a little romance and comedy to go with it. I guess I just like balance. Like FMA. happy.gif

For shounen, I like things like FMA, Death Note, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, D.Gray-man.
For shoujo, I like stuff like Ouran, D. N. Angel, Fruits Basket, Dengeki Daisy.

My favorite thing is when a manga really sticks with me, no matter what the genre may be. Too much battling or too much mush = no. Balance = yes.

I agree! biggrin.gif Balance is the best, and that is why FMA has such a variety in fans.

I must check out D.Gray-man, I've heard so much about it. >.<

Dengeki Daisy! That manga needs to be more popular, it's probably one of the best shoujo manga I've ever read. Seriously. Next to Fruits Basket and Ouran...

PwnedByPineapple
QUOTE (rosieechan @ Feb 24 2011, 06:49 PM) *
I agree! biggrin.gif Balance is the best, and that is why FMA has such a variety in fans.

I must check out D.Gray-man, I've heard so much about it. >.<

Dengeki Daisy! That manga needs to be more popular, it's probably one of the best shoujo manga I've ever read. Seriously. Next to Fruits Basket and Ouran...

Ah, D.Gray-man is really good, one of my favorite manga. It's actually similar to FMA in some ways. I highly recommend it.

And Dengeki Daisy surprised me when I read it. It's definitely one of the better shoujo.

Which just goes to show that both genres can be good. tongue.gif
Chizakura
This is a hard one for me to answer.

There are way more shoujo series that I like than shounen, but the shounen ones that I do like are usually my absolute top favorites... so... When I find a shounen that I like I tend to value it more than the shoujo's I read, but at the same time, there are far more shoujo series that I enjoy and read.
Lucky Lucy
I prefer shoujo manga. However, I like shounen a lot too. I'm a bit of a tomboy, actually. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.