Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 76 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
paca
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 76 here. smile.gif

For info on the "Reading Reference", go to page 11.

=============================

~ Fma 76 - Spoiler Summary ~

Chapter 76: Human Form, Stone Form

FMA 76 Spoiler Script

For the longer Chapter 76 Spoiler Preview Summary, please scroll down to Tombow's post on this page. ^^

<Last edited by Michiyo- on Nov. 13, 2011>
Edamame
Thank you so much for the link Paca. I'm a little worried about what the last sentence of the paragraph says. I did a really horrible translation of the paragraph, and I really hope that it doesn't say what I think it does. *_*

P.S.- Your icon is freaking gorgeous.
Tombow
A very short summary from the link posted by Paca above, and my quick translations:
Chapter 76: Form of a man, form of a stone.
Al and others are walking in the snow. It is said that the one who brought the Alchemy to the Xing was an immortal man with golden hair and golden eyes.
Meantime, Miles and the company try to attack Kimbley, but Kimbley learns the plan and escapes.
Ed chases Kimbley, and they fight. Ed cuts Kimbley's palm and kick out the Philosopher's Stone. Ed is relieved, but there was another stone. The explosion ensues, and Ed falls into the mine shaft. Ed realizes that an iron pole is running through his body. Ed loses consciousness. Al screams...

-----------------------------

ETA: Here is longer Chapter 76 Preview Spoiler Summary!! (Form this site. )
My quick translations:

Fullmetal Alchemist Chapter 76: "Shape of a Man, Shape of a Stone."
(Note: It's an interim chapter title by me till we read actual chapter 76. ^^)

As predicted, the Philosopher's Stone plays the key (in the fight against Kimbley) in this chapter.

Chapter starts...
Ed is teaching about the Philosopher's Stone to others in order to plan the attack against Kimbley.
Ed says he had never seen any Philosopher's Stone larger than the size of pebbles. To make larger stone, that must have been created using huge number of human sacrifices, hence he would not even want to see it.... Overwraps Hohenheim' s image...

The storm has subsided. Miles is ready to sniping down two guards for Kimbley from the distance. Ed suggests to catch them and get the information instead. Miles lectures Ed about the Laws of Briggs. Ed shuts up. Then Miles tells that he feels envy about Ed and Al who choose saving lives over killing.

The scene changes to somewhere in the mine tunnels.
Marchor and his company are trying to read Scar's brother's research notes.
(Below is from the research notes)
*In Xing, it is said that an immortal man = true man = perfect man.
*Gold is a perfect metal, hence.. true man = Gold man.
*It is said that the person who brought the Alchemy to Xing was an immortal man with golden hair and golden eyes, hence the above saying.

Scar comes out to the entrance of the tunnel and meets up with Al.
Al tells them that Briggs Fort has solders from the Central now, and the mjor General Armstrong was summoned by the Central, and hence they can't hide at the Briggs Fort now.
Winry asks that Kimbley might catch that Al is missing fro Ed's group, and Al tells Winry that Ed will probably come up with something.

Meanwhile... Ed, Miles and the company meet up with Kimbley's company. There is Al, moving rather awkwardly. Ed transmuted "imitation" Al's armor and there is a solder inside. "Imitation" Al speaks like a military man. XDD

Miles tries to catch a good timing to shoot Kimbley. Kimbley realizes, and blows up snow so that they can't see Kimbley, and escapes. Kimbley's guard solders turn out to be more chimeras.
One chimera fight Ed, another goes ahead and enters the mine tunnel in search of Scar and the company.

Ed fights the chimera solder. Ed can't see because of the snow. On the other hand, the chimera uses his nose. Miles tries to help he also can't see in the white out.
With the limited visibility, Ed falls into the mine shaft.

Ed faces chimeras who followed Ed in the mine tunnel. Ed tries to scare chimeras with the dynamite. Chimera says it wouldn't work because it's wet. Ed transmute ammonia from the ingredient of dynamite, and the chimeras with the keen nose go belly up.

Ed faces Kimbley. It seems Kimbley knows about (their scheme about) Winry.
KImbley quickly turns to using Philosopher's Stone.
Ed feels this is a good chance to use the technique he has devised against Kimbley.

Aided by lightened Automails Ed succeed in taking out the Philosopher's Stone inside Kimbley's hand, and also able to damge Kimbley's Transmutation Circle on his palm.
Ed feels the victory, and he didn't even have to kill Kimbley... Or did it??

Kimbely tells Ed that Ed's conviction about "not to kill" even in the battle and the lack of thought that the person might have more Philosopher's Stone would be Ed's downfall... Kimbley takes out another Philosopher's Stone which he had swallowed during the Ishval War, and perform Alchemy.

The building around Ed collapses. Ed coughs up blood. He sees an iron rebar penetrating his side. Ed loses consciousness.

The same moment, Al falls down. Al: "My soul is being pulled!!"
Winry screams: "Someone!! Ed!!" The sight of both Ed, and Al down on the ground.....

----------------------------
(And, that's the end of chapter 76, the story continues to chapter 77.)
paca
@Edamame: Thanks! happy.gif (It's manga!juliet)The babel fish translation was awful like you said D:!

Tombow ~~*0* ....!!! You are always so fast to translate!!! <3 Thank youuuuu~~~!!!
O: I want the chapter now >.<!!!! So...hoho is... isn't he? ~
( I have entered to that blog where we got the summaries of the lasts chapters but it has nothing this time D: )
Tombow
@Paca - Yeah, seems like Hoho is... It's such a short summary because the blog author wrote that he/she doesn't feel like writing detailed notes this time... We may get some more from other summary sites. I will try checking out, too. Thanks for bringing this one!! ^^
Animeoldtimer
That last line does sound scary! ohmy.gif
Alchemical
QUOTE(Tombow @ Oct 10 2007, 05:23 PM) *
My quick translation:

Chapter 76: Form of a man, form of a stone.
(Note by Tombow: It's a temporary chapter title till I read more about the chapter. ^^)

Al and others are walking in the snow. It is said that the one who brought the Alchemy to the Xing was an immortal man with golden hair and golden eyes.
Meantime, Miles and the company try to attack Kimbly, but Kimbley learn the plan and escapes.
Ed chases Kimbley, and they fight. Ed cut Kimbley's palm and kick out the Philosopher's Stone. Ed is relieved, but there was another stone. The explosion ensues, and Ed falls into the mine shaft. Ed realizes that an iron pole is running through his body. Ed loses consciousness. Al screams...

0.0 Now I'm really worried! I need the chapter nooooow! ><'''' But at least Al is back... *worryworry*

EDIT: Wow, Tombow, it's going to a very action-packed/angst-filled chapter, huh? Thanks for the translation!
Doragon-Ryuu
OH EM GEE, WILL THIS ALL TIE IN WITH MY SAGES THEORY? I THINK IT ALREADY DOES. Snaps. (LOL... sorry about the capslock... but that made my day.)

Wow. Edward got speared?! My senses tell me either 1) hospital scene or 2) Xingese Alchemy Demonstration are upcoming.
Animeoldtimer
I wanna know. How big is this poll??? sad.gif ohmy.gif
Tombow
@Animeoldtimer - My guess is that it's actually more of an iron rebar type thing?? unsure.gif
But, it's such a condensed short summary that it's hard to tell.
I will try to look for some other Japanese sites for more summary tonight. ^^
AA battery
I'll just squee at the fact that Al is back in this chapter~~~~~~
Vitor 3000
Hahahahaha, Al is back!

But why is he scraming? I mean, wasn't he going to the fortress? Ed, Kimbley and Miles are far away! Did Elric's telepathy work? XD
TheRainbowConnection
Ouch. Being impaled sounds like a truckload of no fun. <--Understatement of the Year

Yay Ed-Kimbley duel!

Yay Miles!

Yay blood and gore and almost dying!

Yay new chapter! biggrin.gif
Causmicfire
I hope Mei will be able to heal Ed, and in time! ohmy.gif

Thanks for brining the link over Paca and thanks for the translation Tombow
Tombow
^ You're welcome!! ^^
I'm still searching for other summaries. If anyone see something looks like summary in some Japanese sites, please post the link, then we can go and find out. ^^

@Vitor - The short summary didn't say say why Al screamed. unsure.gif

ETA: Ok, I got another Preview Spoiler Summary!! So far, this is the only site I could find with the Spoiler Summary for FMA chapter 76.
I will put it on my first post.
yelloweyes
Thnak you so much!! Oh, my. now im really worried about Ed, and also about Al!!Whats going to happen?! Who is goign to save them?! AAAh, Icnt wait till next chapter!!!
Chiyo
Its just a dream its just a dream its just a dream its just a dream....a nightmare! Damn cliffhanger moments
Animeoldtimer
~ Chapter 76 Raw! ~

Here's a link (to a link) to Chapter 76:

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19670
Edamame
Thank you for the link to the raw Animeoldtimer , this looks like one heck of a truly heavy-handed chapter.
All right, all that I have to say is: Oh my F*(^& God! I will write something a little more coherent was I gather my composure. I am praying that Hoenheim will step in to save both of his children. ohmy.gif

PS- Your signature is really making me wibble now!
Animeoldtimer
Your welcome. I'm trying to shrink my sig but having a little trouble.
HisshouBuraiKen
If you'd like to follow along with my translation, it's at http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread....8193#post568193

Check back every half-hour or so for new pages
fuyu
Thank you! OMG Edoooooooo~ TT^TT Live, boy, LIVE!!!

Hmmm does that mean we'll be able to see Human!Al again? Wheeeee~!
Animeoldtimer
Thanks HisshouBuraiKen! Lots of plot movement.
Chiyo
Yippee thank-yoooooou I love you

I mean, ta, whatever (downloads). From reading the summary I knew I had to see it
Tombow
~ Chapter 76 Spoiler Party!, Translation & Summary on First Post!! ^^ ~

Here is chapter 76 spoiler preview summary from Japanese site while I work on the translation.
^^
Scroll down to the bottom of post for the page-by-page translation. ^^

Chapter 76 Preview Spoiler Summary, followed by Chapter Translation!! !!
(Summary is from this site translated by me. )

Fullmetal Alchemist Chapter 76: "Shape of a Man, Shape of a Stone."
(Note: It's an interim chapter title by me till we read actual chapter 76. ^^)

As predicted, the Philosopher's Stone plays the key (in the fight against Kimbley) in this chapter.

Chapter starts...Ed is teaching about the Philosopher's Stone to others in order to plan the attack against Kimbley.
Ed says he had never seen any Philosopher's Stone larger than the size of pebbles. To make larger stone, that must have been created using huge number of human sacrifices, hence he would not even want to see it.... Overwraps Hohenheim' s image...

The storm has subsided. Miles is ready to sniping down two guards for Kimbley from the distance. Ed suggests to catch them and get the information instead. Miles lectures Ed about the Laws of Briggs. Ed shuts up. Then Miles tells that he feels envy about Ed and Al who choose saving lives over killing.

The scene changes to somewhere in the mine tunnels.
Marchor and his company are trying to read Scar's brother's research notes.
(Below is from the research notes)
*In Xing, it is said that an immortal man = true man = perfect man.
*Gold is a perfect metal, hence.. true man = Gold man.
*It is said that the person who brought the Alchemy to Xing was an immortal man with golden hair and golden eyes, hence the above saying.

Scar comes out to the entrance of the tunnel and meets up with Al.
Al tells them that Briggs Fort has solders from the Central now, and the mjor General Armstrong was summoned by the Central, and hence they can't hide at the Briggs Fort now.
Winry asks that Kimbley might catch that Al is missing fro Ed's group, and Al tells Winry that Ed will probably come up with something.

Meanwhile... Ed, Miles and the company meet up with Kimbley's company. There is Al, moving rather awkwardly. Ed transmuted "imitation" Al's armor and there is a solder inside. "Imitation" Al speaks like a military man. XDD

Miles tries to catch a good timing to shoot Kimbley. Kimbley realizes, and blows up snow so that they can't see Kimbley, and escapes. Kimbley's guard solders turn out to be more chimeras.
One chimera fight Ed, another goes ahead and enters the mine tunnel in search of Scar and the company.

Ed fights the chimera solder. Ed can't see because of the snow. On the other hand, the chimera uses his nose. Miles tries to help he also can't see in the white out.
With the limited visibility, Ed falls into the mine shaft.

Ed faces chimeras who followed Ed in the mine tunnel. Ed tries to scare chimeras with the dynamite. Chimera says it wouldn't work because it's wet. Ed transmute ammonia from the ingredient of dynamite, and the chimeras with the keen nose go belly up.

Ed faces Kimbley. It seems Kimbley knows about (their scheme about) Winry.
KImbley quickly turns to using Philosopher's Stone.
Ed feels this is a good chance to use the technique he has devised against Kimbley.

Aided by lightened Automails Ed succeed in taking out the Philosopher's Stone inside Kimbley's hand, and also able to damge Kimbley's Transmutation Circle on his palm.
Ed feels the victory, and he didn't even have to kill Kimbley... Or did it??

Kimbely tells Ed that Ed's conviction about "not to kill" even in the battle and the lack of thought that the person might have more Philosopher's Stone would be Ed's downfall... Kimbley takes out another Philosopher's Stone which he had swallowed during the Ishval War, and perform Alchemy.

The building around Ed collapses. Ed coughs up blood. He sees an iron rebar penetrating his side. Ed loses consciousness.

The same moment, Al falls down. Al: "My soul is being pulled!!"
Winry screams: "Someone!! Ed!!" The sight of both Ed, and Al down on the ground.....

(And, that's the end of chapter 76, the story continues to chapter 77.)

---------------------------------------------------

I will keep adding chapter 76 translations here. ^^

Chapter 76: "Shape of a Man, Shape of a Stone."

Page 1: The chapter starts with Ed teaching his company what he knows about the Philosopher's Stone.

Caption on the side: Once again, the Philosopher's Stone is the key!!

Ed: "Philosopher's Stone," "Heavenly Stone," "Great Elixir," "Red Tincture," "Fifth Element,"
Ed: "As there are many names for the Philosopher's Stone, it also takes many forms."
Ed: "It could be liquid, or it could be powder..." "The one Dr. Marcoh used to have in his possession, that was in a half liquid state."
Ed: "And, the one in Kimbley's possession looks like a piece of ore, and the size is about this big." "The stone itself is containing an enormous amount of energy, and contais the information on the building formula, hence, it enables him to perform Alchemy without the transmutation circle."
Soldier: "If we can take it away..."
Miles: "We'll have a little relief."

Page 2:
Soldier: "Hearing that it gives the ultimate power, I expected it to be much bigger." "It's unexpectedly small."
Ed: "Yeah. I haven't seen any that's larger than a size of a rock."
Ed: <small letters>: The one called Envy had it, and it was about this big."
Ed: "Though, I hear that for an extremely large stone, an enormous amount of humans would be sacrificed as the ingredients." "If I can I would rather avoid witnessing such thing."
The scene from last chapter, with Izumi, Sig and Hohenheim...
---------------------------
Izumi: "Mr. Hohenheim, you....." "Yourself is...."
Izumi: "The Philosopher's Stone....?!"

Page 3:
Chapter 76: "The Shape of a Man, the Shape of a Stone."

Page 4:
The storm had past the mining town.
Miles: "Looks like the storm has gone completely."
Miles: "Prepare for the plan."
Soldier: "Aye, sir."
Soldier: "With the snipers?"
Miles: "Yes."
Miles: "Kimbley, plus the two men rom the Central, a total of three. Bring down only these three, in absolute secrecy, and without failure."
Solider: "Yes, sir."
Soldier: "Understood."
Miles: "This should be secret to the soldiers from the North Headquarters also."
Ed: "Major Miles."
Ed: "By saying 'taking them down', you mean killing them?"
Miles: "Naturally, yes."

Page 5:
Ed: "I can't agree about simply killing off Kimbley like that." "As I said just before, how about catching him by sealing his means of Alchemy, then trying to get the information from him?"
Miles: "Do you think he will tell us all the information that easily? It will be dangerous to keep him alive."
Ed: "Then, how about his men?"
Ed: ""They might have been turned into chimeras also, and are merely following his orders because it can not be helped."
Miles: "That could be. But that is merely 'a possibility'."
Miles: "Don't forget the Law of Briggs." "'Be off your guard, and you will be done for."
Miles: "That soft-heartedness of yours, that may cause you your life."
Ed: SFX Ugh
Miles: "As Major General Armstrong has said, we don't need careless fools here." "We will take down Kimbley and his two men if we can catch them off guard."

Page 6:
Miles leaves Ed standing without the words.
Soldier: "He is still a kid after all."
Miles: "It seems so. It is naive of him to try to carry on with his 'no killing' conviction in this war torn world.
Soldier: "But, I also had a period like that."
Miles<small letters>: Hahaha
Miles: "Me, too."
Miles: "When one reaches this age, after experiencing many battles, then one can understand," "that ... it is harder to let live than to kill."
Miles: "And, the Elric brothers have picked that more difficult path."
Soldier: "Hahaha, curious fellows aren't they?"
------------------------------------
Miles: "Yes." "But, I also feel a bit of envy for them."

Page 7:
Meanwhile, somewhere in the mine tunnel, Marcho, Scar, and Mei study Scar's brother's research notes.
Marcho: "What is this 'Rasayana'?"
Scar: "That is a spiritual herb that provides longevity."
Marcho: "Could it be the Philosopher's stone? Let's see... 'it turns base metal into gold; turns an old man to a young man.'..." "What's this 'Aurerian'?"
Scar: "That means 'Gold'."
Winry: "?"
Marcho: "...Well then, this means 'the principle of Gold will rejuvenate the human body forever'? It's all about the immortality and Gold."
Mei: "Is that because it could be that Mr. Scar's brother who wrote this was influenced by Xing's Rentanjitsu?"
Mei: "In Xing, an immortal man is called 'true man'."
Mei: "'True man' equals 'perfect man,' and Gold is 'perfect metal', therefore," "'True man' is called 'Golden man'."
Scar: <small letters> Aah..
Marcho: <small letters> Ooh..
Chimera: <small letters> ? ?
Winry: <small letters> ? ? ?

Page 8:
Mei: "One theory says that the person who brought Alchemy to Xing was an immortal man with golden hair and golden eyes, hence we call 'true man' 'golden man'...."
Winry: "Ha, golden hair and and golden eyes, just like Ed and Al."
Yoki: "Hey everyone, come!"
Yoki: 'The exit." "We passed through the mountain safely."
Winry: "Whoa."
Mei: "Bright."
Chimera: "Good, it's nice weather." "Let's hurry to Briggs."

Page 9:
Yoki: "Fine, everyone follow me... WHOOAAAAAA!!"
Toad chimera: "The snow is deeper than expected."
Hog chimera: "Young miss, get on my back."
Hog chimera: <small letters> You are half buried in the snow.
Toad chimera: "We will go in front of you, and pack down the snow, and make the path. Take your time and follow us."
Marcho: "Thank you."
Voice: "He~~y."
Winry: "Huh?"
Voice: "He~~y."
Al : "He~~y." "Help me~~"
Winry: "What, Al?!"
Mei: "Alphonse-sama!!"
Al: "Bhaa!!" "Saved!!"

Page 10:
Al: "I got stuck in a dip then got buried in the snow there."
Winry: "Why the heck is Al here?!"
Al: "We had an emergency communication for you, so I crossed over the mountain in the blizzard, arrived here ahead of everyone, and waited for you."
Winry: "Emergency?"
Al: "Central army is in the Briggs Fort." "I hear the Major General was summoned to the Central also."
Winry: "What?! That means..."
Al: "Yes, it is dangerous to go to the Fort right now."
Winry: "Then, we should hide somewhere else...."
Scar: "Somewhere else, you say?"
Scar: "Just where can we expect to go??"

Page 11:
Al: "Aw."
Al: "How about filling our stomach first? I brought lots of food and gears for the Winter mountains."
Yoki: "Oh, that helps!"
Marcho: "Food, food!"
Winry: "But, is it ok?"
Al: "What is?"
Winry: "If Al disappears all of a sudden, wouldn't Mr. Kimbley and the company get suspicious?"
Al: "That's fine."
Al: "My brother is going to do something about it."

Page 12:
Fake Al: "....."
Soldier: "3rd company, 5 men." "4th company, 8 men."
Miles: "Miles team has all the men accounted for."
Soldier: "Roger."
Miles: "Start searching each designated area."
Soldier: "Yes, sir.'
Soldier: "Roger."
Miles: "Let's go."
Fake Al: "Aye, sir."
Ed: SFX whisper
Ed: "Hey, hey, Alphonse, you are supposed to say 'yes' there, right?"
Fake Al: "Oh!!"
Soldier inside fake Al: "Well, ahm, this is hard to move, Edward."
Soldier: SFX Whisper Whisper
Ed: SFX Whisper Psst
Ed: "Please manage it somehow."

Page 13:
Fake Al: "Wait up, brother! (high pitched voice)"
Fake Al: SFX wobble wobble
Ed: "Walk faster."
Kimbley: "?"
Miles: "Hey," "About Kimbley's group, which area are they searching?"
Soldier: "You know there is a main mine shaft in the center, right?" "I hear they are going to enter the tunnel from there, and search the mine pits."
Soldier: "He said he wouldn't trust the Northern soldiers, so he would take only men he brought from the Central..."
Miles: SFX Tsk!
Miles: <thinking> He might have noticed.
Miles: "We are going to forestall them." "We will secure positions for the snipers near the shaft."

Page 14:
Kimbley: "Search around the entrance to the tunnel. If you see multiple footprints then that confirms it."
Soldier: "Yes."
Kimbley: "Well then..."
Kimbley: "You are here, aren't you?" "Fullmetal Alchemist."
Ed: "Did you call me?"
Kimbley: "If you are here, that means this is the right place, isn't it?"
Ed: "What are you talking about?"

Page 15:
Ed: "I followed you because you told me that if I help you catch Scar then you would give me Philosopher's Stone...."
Kimbley: "That is just your sophistry."
Kimbley: "You are stalling me till they position the snipers, aren't you?"
Ed: "....When did you realize?"
Kimbley: "The air is filled with the intent of imminent violence around here. I should know."
Ed: "You have a keen sense."
Kimbley: "I haven't survived the Ishval war for nothing."

Page 16:
Miles: "Can you take him?"
Sniper: "Yes." "At this distance...!"
Sniper: "....Bastard!!"
Sniper: "He put up a screen with snow!!"

Page 17:
In a blinding snow screen, Ed is being attacked by Kimbley's man who is using his keen animal sense of smell for sensing Ed's presence.
Ed: "Buhwa."
Ed; "Dowah?!"
Ed: "Dah!!"
Chimera: SFX sniff

Page 18:
Ed faces two chimera soldiers.
Ed: "As I suspected."
Ed sees Kimbley entering the mine tunnel.
Ed: "!"
Ed: "Kimbley! Hold there...."
Chimera: "Oh no, I wont let you go that way!!"
Ed: "Owah!!"

Page 19:
Ed: <thinking> Damn... With this snow screen, I can't see anything.
Ed: <thinking> But, that means they can't see me also, so that's an equal handicap..."
Ed: "Kah..."
Chimera: "Stand down, Fullmetal Alchemist."
Chimera: "In this bad visibility you can't get away from us chimeras with our keen sense of smell."
Chimera: SFX sniff sniff
Ed: "Shut....up!!"

Page 20:
Chimera: "Guwah!!"
Miles: "Fullmetal!!"
Soldier: "Cough"
Miles: "What is happening?!" "Where are you?! Respond!!"
Ed: "Major Miles?" "They are chimeras!! They are used to fighting in poor visibility!!"

Page 21:
Ed: "Don't come inside the snow screen. Whoa."
Right SFX slip
Left SFX Thud
Ed slips and falls into the shaft.
Chimera: "Oh?!"
Ed: "OAAAAAAAHHH"
Right SFX Thud
Left SFX Crush
Ed: "~~~~~~~~~~!"

Page 22:
Ed: "Damn~~~ My height became shortened again~~"
Ed: "Oh?!" "I see this is indeed a mine!!"
Ed: "Oh no, don't come any closer!" "You know what these are, don't you?"
Lion chimera: "You, fool!!"
Monkey chimera: "They are all soggy and unusable by now."
Lion chimera" SFX sniff sniff
Ed: "Hey Misters, do you know what the raw materials for making dynamite are?"
Lion chimera: "Huh?"
Lion chimera: "Nitroglycerin?" "Nitroglycol... Woodmeal..."
Monkey chimera: "And, Ammonium Nitrate?"

Page 23:
Ed: "And, that Ammonium Nitrate is made of what?"
Lion chimera: "That's easy! Nitric Acid and Amm..."
Lion chimera: "...Ammoni..."
Right SFX clap
Left SFX grin
Kimbley: "!!"

Page 24:
Kimbley: "Mmmm... What's this smell?"
Ed takes out nose plugs.
Ed: "Ammonia!" "It can be troublesome having such super sensitive noses."
Ed <small letters> Hah!
SFX (nose plugs) pfft pop
Ed: "They are useless now."
Monkey chimera: "Oaahhhhh..."
Lion chimera: "Sssss... Stink...."
Kimbley: "As soon as the worry for the hostage has disappeared, this is how you act?"
Ed: "Hostage? What are you talking about?"
Ed: "I'm going to make you spill out everything you know."
SFX come come
Kimbley: "Oh dear," "you are so hot-blooded."
Kimbley: "It would be such an ado to fight a young man with my convalescent body." "And, I don't have time to keep company with you."

Page 25:
Kimbley: "I am" "going use this one."
Ed: "Lucky." "No need to even search for it, he presented it himself!!"
Kimbley: <Italic> "Kha!!"
Kimbley: <thinking> I see.. lightened Automail...!!
<thinking> He is fast...
Ed kicks the Philosopher's Stone out of Kimbley's hand. The stone falls into the mine shaft.

Page 26:
Kimbley: "Nuah.."
Ed: "Too slow!!"
Ed cuts through the transmutation circle on Kimbley's palm.

Page 27:
Ed: "No Philosopher's Stone!" "Unable to use the transmutation circles!!"
Ed: "Now..."
Ed: "I won!!"
Kimbley: ".... isn't that what you're thinking?"
Kimbley: "Your resolution for 'not killing your enemy"... that is an admirable policy." "But, in a battlefield that will become an advantage for the opponent."
Kimbley: "You should have had nailed me at that moment just now."
Kimbley: "That soft-heartedness," "and your failure to consider that I might have another Philosopher's Stone... "

Page 28:
Kimbley: "That was the reason for your downfall."
Lion chimera: "Owaaaahh."

Page 29:

Page 30:

Page 31:
Ed: "Ugh..." "Ah..."
Monkey chimera: "Hiee.. Agh..."
Lion chimera: "Mr. Kimbley, how cold of you. Burying us also...."
Monkey chimera: SFX cough
Ed: <thinking> I fell into the mine shaft. Ouch...
Ed: <thinking> Damn... Where did Kimbely go...
Ed: SFX drip
Ed: SFX cough
Ed: "........." "....this is a joke, right?"
SFX DRIP DRIP DRIP DRIP

Page 32:
SFX creak
Ed: SFX cough
ED and Al: SFX THUD

Page 33:
Winry: "?! Al!!"
Winry: "Al, what happened?!"
Mei: "Alphonse-sama!!"
Al: "This is bad..."
Al: "Again..." "It's being... pulled away..."
Chimera: "Hey, armored one! Stay strong!"
Winry: "Al!" "What is 'being pulled away'?!"
Al: "My soul..."
Scar: "Your soul is being pulled?"
Marcho: "Miss, has it happened before?"
Winry: "I don't know!" "Al!"
Winry: "Al, get up!" "Someone, help Al!!"

Page 34:
Winry: "Someone..."
Winry: 'Ed!!!"

Caption: The Elric brothers in a life-or-death crisis!!

(End of chapter 76)
The next chapter is coming out in Japan on Monday, November 12.

ETA: Done grammar/syntax/spelling corrections. Thanks, Edamame for proofreading help!! ^^
Chiyo
So I can clear it up in my head, when Winry cries 'Someone, Ed' at the end, is she calling someone for help, then calls Ed for help....or is it she realises he must be hurt? Poor Al, Winry calls for Ed even though he's on the floor in front of her haha.

Thanks Tombow, always on the ball with the new manga's.
fuyu
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Oct 11 2007, 10:36 PM) *
So I can clear it up in my head, when Winry cries 'Someone, Ed' at the end, is she calling someone for help, then calls Ed for help....or is it she realises he must be hurt? Poor Al, Winry calls for Ed even though he's on the floor in front of her haha.

I think it's... er... both? Maybe she calls for Ed and then realizes that he must be hurt?

As for Al... Hehe. I think Winry cried "Aru!" enough times after he first collapsed. Hehe.

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Oct 11 2007, 10:36 PM) *

Yes. Thanks, Tombow! You're awesome. happy.gif
Edamame
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Oct 11 2007, 02:36 PM) *

I am still a little unclear on that myself. Perhaps it can be interpreted both ways. Personally, I like to think that Winry realises that Ed must be hurt after seeing Al go down. I am kind of worried that Ed's current state is going to have a drastic effect on Al, after rereading the chapter on Ed's theory of how they are both "connected" to one another and the entire "Elric telaphay" theory. I really think that we are hitting the climax here.

Tombow thank you so much for the translation of preview spoiler summary.
Tombow
^ About that... yeah, I just quickly checked the last panel, and it could be interpreted either ways.
Hmm... another major cliffhanger!!

ETA: After finishing through the translation of the whole chapter, it looks like Winry is calling for Ed for help. ^^

HisshouBuraiKen
~ Chapter 76 Translation, :0 ~

DONE! Be sure to keep an eye out for TMI's scan!

Page 1:
Ed: "The Philosopher's Stone".
"Heaven's Rock."
"The Great Elixir"
"The Red Tincture."
"The Fifth Element."

Though it has many names, the Philosopher's Stone doesn't necessarily take the form of an actual stone.

Ed: It could be liquid, or powder...
The one Dr. Marcoh once had was in a gelatinous state.

Kimblee's looks like a lump of coal - it's about this big.
He actually keeps the stone itself inside his body, along with its enormous energy, giving him the ability to transmute things without a circle.

Soldier: If we could just steal it...
Miles: Things would be a bit easier.

Page 2:
Solider: With the way everyone talks about how it gives you "ultimate power," I thought it'd be bigger.
But it's actually really small.
Ed: Yep.
I've never seen one bigger than a rock.
Small text: Even Envy's was only about this big.

Ed: If you were to try and make a really huge one, you'd need to sacrifice an unfathomable number of lives.
That's a legendary "treasure" you never want to see.

Izumi: Mr. Hoenheim...you're...
You, yourself, are...

A Philosopher's Stone?!

Page 3:
Title: Chapter 76 - The form of a Man...the form of a Stone.

Page 4:
Miles: Looks like the snowstorm's cleared.

Get everyone ready.
Soldier: Aye, sir.

Are we using snipers?
Miles: Yes.

We're bringing down Kimbley and the two guys from Central.
Them, and only them. I want complete success, in complete secrecy.

Soldiers: Yessir!
Roger that!

Miles: Inform the guys we're "borrowing" from HQ.
Ed: Major Miles...

By "bring down," you mean "kill," don't you?
Miles: Of course I do.

Page 5:
Ed: I don't think we should kill him right away.
Why can't we restrain him so he can't use alchemy and interrogate him, like we talked about earlier?

Miles: You think that...THING would tell the truth?
Letting him live poses too much risk to us.
Ed: Then what about his men?

Ed: They may only be obeying his orders because they've been turned into Chimeras.
Miles: That's possible.
Unfortunately, "possible" is not good enough.

Remember the laws of Briggs.
Let your guard down, and you're dead.

It's very "possible" that your soft-heartedness will get you killed someday.
SFX: Gulp

Miles: As General Armstrong said, we have no need for careless fools up here.
If Kimblee or his two men give us an opening, we're bringing them down.

Page 6:
Guard: He IS still a kid, after all.
Miles: Indeed.
Anyone who thinks they can live in a world without killing is being unreasonable.
SFX: Step step

Guard: I used to think it was possible too, when I was his age.
Miles: Same here.
Small text: Haha

Miles: But at our age, after being in so many battles...
It becomes harder to let someone live than to kill them.

The Elric Brothers chose the harder path.
Guard: Hahaha,
They tend do do that a lot, don't they?

Miles: Yeah.
But I have to admit, I envy them a bit for it.

Page 7:
Marcoh: This word, "Rasaayana..."
Scar: It's an herb that rejuvinates the body, increasing longevity.

Marcoh: Perhaps it's referring to the Philosopher's Stone?
Hmm..."Can turn base metals to gold and restore an old man's youth..."
What's "Aurelian?"
Scar: It means "gold."

Marcoh: Which makes this sentence, "Gold forms the foundation for eternally extending the body's life..."
This whole thing is about nothing but immortality and gold.

May: That's because Scar-san's brother learned all about Xing's Rentanjutsu.

[VERSION 1 - KEEPING THE JAPANESE AND CALLING IT XINGESE]
In Xing, we call an immortal a "Shin-hito."

"Shin" is Xingese for "true", and "hito" means "person". A "true" person is a "perfect" person. Likewise, gold is called the "perfect metal."
In our language, the word for gold is "kin," and we have a saying - "A shin-hito is a kin-hito!"
[END VERSION 1]

[VERSION 2 - FULLY TRANSLATED]
In Xing, we call an immortal a "true person."

In our language, the word for "true" can also mean "perfect." Likewise, gold is called the "perfect metal."
And we have a saying, "He who does not grow old, surely must be made of gold!"
[END VERSION 2 - PICK THE ONE YOU LIKE BEST!]
Marcoh Small text: Ooh! Aah!

Page 8:
May: Some say the man who taught Xing about Alchemy had golden hair and golden eyes, that's why people thought he was immortal!
Winry: Huh!
Golden hair and eyes, just like Ed and Al!

Yoki: Hey, everybody!

I found the exit.
We made it through the mountain!

Winry: Aah!
Too bright!

Toad: Whew...the weather's much better now.
Tankee: We gotta get to Briggs, quick.

Page 9:
Yoki: Okay, everyone! Follow meWAUGH!
SFX: PLOP
Toad: The snow's a lot deeper than it looks.
Tankee: Hop on my back, young lady.
Small text: You're half-buried down there!

Toad: It might be best if we walk over the snow to pack it down into a path, and proceed slowly.
Marcoh: Thank you.
Bubble: Heeeeeeey-

Winry: Hm?
BubblE: Over heeeeeeeere-

Bubbles: Heeeeey!
Help meeeeee!

Winry: A-AL?!

May: ALPHONSE-SAMA!

Al: BHUAH!
I'm alive!!

Page 10:
Al: I tripped on something and got buried.
Winry: What the heck are you doing out here?!

Al: I had trudged over the mountain in the middle of that raging blizzard to warn you. [H: This line has to sound cheesily heroic...look at May!]
Winry: Warn us?

Al: Soldiers from Central have infiltrated Briggs.
And General Armstrong's been summoned to Central HQ.
Winry: Huh?! B-but then-

Al: Yeah.
Going to Briggs now is much too risky.
Winry: Then we have to hide somewhere else...
Scar: Somewhere ELSE?

Where exactly do you see somehwhere else to go?
SFX: HYUOOOOOOOOOOO

Page 11:
Al: Oh.

Well anyways, why don't you guys eat first?
I brought lots of emergency rations and snow gear for everyone!
Guys: Woohoo!
Food, food, food!

Winry: Is this really a good idea?
Al: Huh?

Winry: Won't Mr. Kimblee get suspicious if you're not there?
Al: Oh, don't worry about THAT.

Brother will think of something.
SFX: Clank

Page 12:
Soldiers: 3rd Squadron, 5 men.
4th Squdron, 8 men.

Miles: All men in my squad have been accounted for.
Soldier: Roger that.

Miles: Everyone get to your designated areas and begin the search.
Small bubbles: Yessir!
Roger!

Miles: Let's roll.
Fake Al: Aye, sir.
SFX: Clank

Ed: Hey, uh..."Alphonse."
That should've been an "Okay!"
Fake Al: Urk!
Ed SFX: Psst

Fake Al: Sorry...it's so hard to move in this thing, Edward!
Small text: Struggle struggle
SFX: Clank clank
Ed: Yeah, well, I apprecate you dealing with it.

Page 13:
Fake Al: Wait, brotherrrr!
Small text: High voice.
Ed: Move it.
SFX: Wobble wobble

Miles: Hey, you.
What are Kimblee and his guys investigating?

Soldier: See that big tower in the center of town?
They're gonna enter the mines from there and search the tunnels.

He doesn't trust soldiers from Briggs, so he's only bringing his guys from Central.

Miles: Damn him, he noticed.

Miles: Stall him.

Have the snipers secure positions surrounding the tower.

SFX: HYUUOOOOOOOO

Page 14:
Kimblee: Search for the entrance tunnel.
There should be plenty of footprints around it.
Monkey: Sir.

Kimblee: Now then...

You're here too, aren't you?
Fullmetal Alchemist.

Ed: You want something?

Kimblee: I was correct in assuming you'd be here.
Ed: What's that supposed to mean?

Page 15:
Ed: I'm here because you promised me a Philosopher's Stone if I helped you catch Scar.
Kimblee: Don't play the fool with me.

You're stalling me so the snipers have time to get in position, correct?

Ed: ...What tipped you off?

Kimblee: There are several people with the intent to kill surrounding this area...I can feel it.
It's quite a pleasant sensation.

It's no accident that I survived the Ishval war, after all.

Page 16:
Miles: Do you have a shot?
Soldier: Yes.
At this distance, I-

SFX: BOOOM

Soldier: ...Son of a b*tch!
SFX: SHaaaaaaaaa

Soldier: He's hiding himself with the snow!

Page 17:
Ed: Bhagh-
SFX: Badumdumdumdum

Ed: Dhurgh?!

Ed: Nngh!
SFX: BAM

SFX: Dahshaaaaa

SFX: Sniff sniiiiiiiif

Page 18:
SFX: Sniff sniff sniff

Ed: Figures.

Kimblee!
Stop-

Monkey: Whoa there, not so fast!
SFX: Slash
Ed: Ack!

Page 19:
Ed: Damn him...
I can't see .... with all this snow and smoke...

But they can't see me either, so at least we're on equal footing...
SFX: badumdumdum

Ed: GHACK
SFX: GRAB

Lion: Stand down, Fullmetal Alchemist.
SFX: Squeeze

Lion: With the visibility here so poor, us Chimeras and our noses have the advantage.
SFX: sniff sniff

Ed: Shut...your mouth!
SFX: Bzzzzzrt

Page 20:
SFX: STAB
Lion: AAAGH!

SFX: THWACK

Miles: Fullmetal!
Soldier: Cough

Miles: What happened?
Where are you?! Respons!

SFX: Bam thud thud thud thud

Ed: Major Miles!
They're chimeras! And they've been trained to fight in places with low visibility!

Page 21:
Ed: Stay out of the smokAAAGH
SFX: Slip, Thunk

Monkey: Wha?
Ed: WAAAAAAAAAAGH
SFX: Crummmble

SFX: crash crach crach crash
Kimblee bubbles: Step step step step

SFX: Crush

SFX: Twitch twitch

Page 22: Arrgh...I think I got squished even shorter...

Ed: Oh ho!
I guess this IS a mine, after all!

SFX: CRASH

Ed: Eeeeeeasy, boys!
You know what this is, right?

Lion: You stupid punk!
SFX: Sniff sniff
Monkey: That stuff is soaked, there's no way it'll ignite.

Ed: Pop quiz, gramps. What's dynamite made of?
Lion: Eh?

Uhh...Nitroglycerin, right?
Nitroglycerin is the main ingredient...
Monkey: And ammonium nitrate, or something?

Page 23:
Ed: And why do they use ammonium nitrate?
Lion: OBVIOUSLY ammo...
nium...

Ed SFX: Tee hee
Black bubble: Clap

SFX: BASH
KATHUNK

Page 24:
Kimblee: Urk.
What is that stench?

Ed: Ammonia!
SFX: Sniff
Noseplug SFX: Pthoo
Ed: Having a super-powered nose can backfire on you.

These guys are toast.
Monkey: Ghaaaaahaahaaaaa...
Lion: T-the smell...

Kimblee: The second you think the hostage is safe, this is what happens?
Ed: Hostage?
I dunno what you're talking about.

I think it's about time you spilled your guts, Kimblee.
SFX: Wipe wipe

Kimblee: Oh, dear...
You're so excitable.

Fighting with a younger man would probably result in a lot of extra grief and broken bones.
And I don't have time to play with you, anyway.

Page 25:
Kimblee: I suppose
it's time to use this.

Ed: Sweet.
He just saved me the trouble of searching for it!

SFX: Dash

SFX: Jab

Kimble: That's right, he changed to a lighter automail!
He's too fast-
SFX: Tatap

Page 26:
SFX: CRACK

SFX: Whoooosh
Tink tink

Kimblee: Rrgh-

SFX: Slash
Ed: Too slow!

Page 27:
Ed: No Philosopher's Stone!
No transmutation circles!

I...

Kimblee: "I got him!"
That's what you're thinking, right?

The "courage to not kill" is a respectable policy...
But actually following it on the battlefield is just handing your opponent an opening.

Lucky for me, you didn't take your chance to finish me off.

That naivete...
that soft nature...not even considering that I might have ANOTHER Philosopher's stone...

Page 28:
Kimblee: Has become your downfall.

SFX: KABOOM

SFX: rrrrrrrumble
Lion: ACHACHACHACHA-

Page 29:
SFX: Ruuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmble

SFX: CRAAAASH

Page 30:
SFX: Crumble crumble

SFX: Crumble crumble

SFX: Tak tak tak

Page 31:
Ed: Uh-...urgh...

Monkey: U...ughah...
Lion: H-how could you, Mr. Kimblee...
ignoring us, too...

Ed: He brought down the whole tower...?
Owwwww...

Ed: F-f*!@...
where'd Kimblee go...
SFX: Ptheh

SFX: Grugk

Ed: No...no way...
SFX: splatter splatter

Page 32:
Ed: GHACK-

SFX: THUD

Page 33:
Winry: Al!!

Al, what's wrong?!
May: Alphonse-sama!
Al: Oh...no...

It's...
being pulled away...
again...

Toad: Hey, Armor-guy! Get a grip!
Winry: AL!
What's being "pulled away?!"
Al: ...Soul...

Scar: Your soul's being pulled away?

Marcoh: Has this ever happened before?
Winry: I don't know!
AL!!

Get up, Al!
Somoene help him!
Page 34:
Winry: Someone...

ED!!!

Text: Is this the end of the Elric Brothers?!
paca
chapter 76!Chapter 76!!!!! XDDDDDD

Yay! =D.....

*read the translated lines*

Awesome chapter!!

They are bonded!!! O: Wow!

About Winry's shout: It can be that she wants Ed's help because what have just happened to Al or that she feels that something bad must have happened to Ed. As you have said, it not very clear. Anyway, it is more probable that she is shouting for Ed's help.

Thanks Tombow for the translation happy.gif
AA battery
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Oct 11 2007, 07:36 AM) *

I don't think Winry is "alchemist" enough to realize that since Al went down, Ed must be hurt...

I think it's more like, since Al is not "human" enough for Winry to be able to help him out (ie, stop bleeding, cure fever...etc), and the only one Winry knows that can help Al out would definitely be Ed, which is why she yelled out for Ed's name...

and the line she said before yelling out Ed's name is "CAN SOMEONE HELP AL?!?!?!"... so there =P

That's just how I would think... yes it's possible for both ways, but I am not convinced by "Winry sensing Ed also in danger"...

and judging from context what Al thinks is happening is that his body is trying to pull his soul into the gate... so I don't think Winry would connect what's happening to Al to Ed's injury...

just my 2 cents ^^; Might be completely wrong lol

---

My complaints:
1. This chapter is once again so short D: I am starting to hate Juushin Enbu for shortening our FMA!
2. I WANT TO SEE THE NEXT CHAPTER OMG ;_____; Allllll~~~!! Eddddd~~~~~!!!!
Sensenic
QUOTE(AA battery @ Oct 11 2007, 05:46 PM) *
I don't think Winry is "alchemist" enough to realize that since Al went down, Ed must be hurt...

I think it's more like, since Al is not "human" enough for Winry to be able to help him out (ie, stop bleeding, cure fever...etc), and the only one Winry knows that can help Al out would definitely be Ed, which is why she yelled out for Ed's name...

and the line she said before yelling out Ed's name is "CAN SOMEONE HELP AL?!?!?!"... so there =P

That's just how I would think... yes it's possible for both ways, but I am not convinced by "Winry sensing Ed also in danger"...

and judging from context what Al thinks is happening is that his body is trying to pull his soul into the gate... so I don't think Winry would connect what's happening to Al to Ed's injury...

just my 2 cents ^^; Might be completely wrong lol

---

My complaints:
1. This chapter is once again so short D: I am starting to hate Juushin Enbu for shortening our FMA!
2. I WANT TO SEE THE NEXT CHAPTER OMG ;_____; Allllll~~~!! Eddddd~~~~~!!!!

Second aaall of that. happy.gif
HisshouBuraiKen
My translation's finished, I'll just link to it so as not to make a second hugeass post:
Click here

I'm pretty sure Winry has no idea that Ed's hurt, she's just scared sh1tless for Al and is calling for Ed because she thinks he's the only one that can help.

QUOTE("AA battery @ Oct 11 2007 @ 05:46 PM)

Well said biggrin.gif
Tombow
ETA: My translation is finished also!! biggrin.gif
fuyu
QUOTE(HisshouBuraiKen @ Oct 11 2007, 11:34 PM) *
Page 22: Arrgh...I think I got squished even shorter...

ROFL! Wahehehe.

Page 23:
Lion: OBVIOUSLY so you can...
small..

Uh... This is "smell", right? Just makin' sure I understood right. ^^

Thanks for this! happy.gif Arrrrrgh November simply cannot come quick enough. >_< The suspense is gonna kill meeeee~
Alchemical
Thanks for the translation!

... I can't stop looking at that scene where Ed's looking at his wound. So painful....

I agree with Fufu; the suspense is going to be MURDER. x_x
TheRainbowConnection
Whee! Thank you! biggrin.gif

**POINTLESS RAMBLING ABOUT THE WOUND AHEAD**

Dude. That pole sticking through Ed looks all sorts of nasty. I thought it was going to be like a small metal bar. Instead, it's like he got impaled on a support beam...and it's huge--about as wide around as an orange.

Despite the huge size of the wound, people have survived worse in real life. (I am assuming that the pole was sharp and solid, as opposed to hollow at the top.) Puncture wounds often do less damage than stuff like gunshot wounds because a bullet would oftentimes spin around and fragment inside the body, embedding bits of shrapnel into vital organs and creating a large temporary cavity that may severely damage organs and whatnot.

Also, fortunately for him, it seems that he's at least missed the most vital of the vital organs. Maybe he'll lose a kidney or part of his pancreas, depending on how high up the wound is, but that's about as good as you could hope for when you have a giant pole embedded in your abdomen...

Fake Edit: Then again, he is coughing up blood, suggesting that the wound is either in his gastrointestinal tract (ouch--digestive enzymes spreading out of the GI tract often makes for a slow, painful death) or in his lungs. Having it hit the lungs would be the worst case scenario, and drowning to death in your own blood would be the worst type of no fun. Ouch. Get to him quickly, Mei! D:

Real edit: Added reference pic
Ropespinner
...My hands are shaking, I can't breathe normally, my heart is beating twice as fast as it shoul... That was the cliffhanger of DOOM. For a while every chapter has been more OMG than the one before, and here I thought this could not rise over the OMGness level of chapter 75. It seems I was totally wrong...

They're dying. Elric Telepathy seems to be true. But they're DYING! I don't really think there's any way Mei would reach Ed in time to save his life; they're quite far apart, and the Scar-Winry-Chimeras-group doesn't even know Ed's hurt. But I think Kimbley's Philosopher's Stone fell to the mine, and then Ed fell to the same mine (or did he?) so he better find that stone laying around near him, because I can't think of anything else that could possibly save his life.

In this chapter Ed acted way more cruelly than before. I can't remember him actually doing anything like severely stabbing that lion chimera's arm before. And Miles and the other guy were talking about him having to realise he can't survive without killing. And Ed HAS used a PS before, even if he considers using PS "killing"...

EDIT
HisshouBuraiKen, not VERY cruel, yeah, but it kind of caucht me off guard, since I can't remember Ed really badly wounding anybody (except homunculi with regeneration skills) before...
Animeoldtimer
That seems plausible that the philosophers stone is his way out. I think we'll be somewhat surprised at how he survives.

As for the wound, it looks like it could be in his stomach. It's on his left side, he's coughing up blood, and it looks to be too low to be in his lung.
HisshouBuraiKen
QUOTE(fuyu @ Oct 11 2007, 12:03 PM) *

Page 23:
Lion: OBVIOUSLY so you can...
small..

Uh... This is "smell", right? Just makin' sure I understood right. ^^

Yeah, that was a typo, sorry.

The november chapter comes out one day before my birthday...should be one hell of a present biggrin.gif
HisshouBuraiKen
QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Oct 11 2007, 12:41 PM) *
Fake Edit: Then again, he is coughing up blood, suggesting that the wound is either in his gastrointestinal tract (ouch--digestive enzymes spreading out of the GI tract often makes for a slow, painful death) or in his lungs. Having it hit the lungs would be the worst case scenario, and drowning to death in your own blood would be the worst type of no fun. Ouch. Get to him quickly, Mei! D:

Quite possible, but he might have also been coughing from getting the wind (and a few teeth) knocked out of him from the fall. His organs might still be okay, but even if they are, the blood loss is looking pretty nasty. He's gonna need some serious stone-action to patch that bad boy up.

Also, May? You think she's gonna run to help ED when Alphonse-sama has collapsed at her feet? biggrin.gif

Ropespinner - I was impressed that Ed stabbed Lion in his arm - he could've gone for the chest or the neck. doesn't see so cruel now, does he? ;D
Mena
Causmicfire
Gha! Now I want to look at the raw, but I can't download, because I'm not on my computer, and I've got nothing to save it on. Thanks for the translation. I don't think I go all the way until November without the next chapter.
Edamame

Also, May? You think she's gonna run to help ED when Alphonse-sama has collapsed at her feet? biggrin.gif

I believe that both Winry and Mei will deduce from their own intuition that something is terribly wrong with both the Elric brothers. I can really see Mei's rentanjutsu playing a key role in the next chapter; whether she will be able to heal Edward will remain to be seen. Speaking of rentanjutsu, it reminds me of Hoenheim's attempt to rearrange Izumi's vital organs in the last chapter. Seeing as Hoenheim is the Philosopher's Stone, I can see him coming to the aid of both his children. Hopefully Mei and Hoenheim will come to Edward's aid before the poor kid bleeds to death. Perhaps I glorify Hoenheim too much, but I can see him making a huge sacrifice for both his kids. It looks like the Philospher's stone might be their only way out.
TheRainbowConnection
QUOTE(Edamame @ Oct 11 2007, 12:14 PM) *
I can really see Mei's rentanjutsu playing a key role in the next chapter; whether she will be able to heal Edward will remain to be seen.

Alternatively, Ed can pull a Mustang and somehow find a way to cauterize his wound for the meantime. But to do that without Mustang's control over air/fire alchemy would be terrible. *cringes at the thought of Ed holding a torch to himself*

It looks like the Philospher's stone might be their only way out.

I agree. Certainly, though, they will have to use the Stone for unplanned purposes, i.e. getting impaled.

Mena: Wow, good job! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Quick thought

It seems highly unlikely that Ed's current brush with death and Al's collapse are unconnected. This got me thinking:

I assume that the theory of a tripartite person is accurate--body, soul, and mind. We know where Al's body is--sitting by the Gate. We know where Al's soul is--bound to the armor. However, where's his mind? Given that the mind is what links the soul to the body, from what we've seen so far, it seems reasonable to claim that Al's mind is in Ed. Not only is Ed's body supporting the biological needs of Al's body, his mind serves as Al's, serving as the link between Al's body and soul. When this link is in danger of being cut, the soul instinctively tries to return to its body.

In short, Ed is really in some deep .... right now, but he's so badass that he'll find some badass way to pull through. Yay for the next few chapters! biggrin.gif
CowAlchemist
I think what happened to the two is connected - Ed said that he and Al were "connected" at one point, correct? Although, that was just a theory...
TheRainbowConnection, what you said makes a ton of sense. biggrin.gif Thumbs up for your theory.

Also, I don't know if this is right or not because I read the chapter quickly because I had to go somewhere, but the philosopher's stone that Kimbley dropped... could be close by to where Ed is laying right now? Is it near him and could he use it [well, considering he somehow regains consiousness...]?

"It's just a flesh wound."

And might I say, Ed gets beaten up. A LOT.
He's like a punching bag.
I am not SHORT!
YAY! But, um.... on page 24, there's a word bubble for Kimblee...and there's no translation here..... T^T
o-ren
QUOTE(TheRainbowConnection @ Oct 11 2007, 12:55 PM) *
QUOTE(Edamame @ Oct 11 2007, 12:14 PM) *
I can really see Mei's rentanjutsu playing a key role in the next chapter; whether she will be able to heal Edward will remain to be seen.

Alternatively, Ed can pull a Mustang and somehow find a way to cauterize his wound for the meantime. But to do that without Mustang's control over air/fire alchemy would be terrible. *cringes at the thought of Ed holding a torch to himself*

It looks like the Philospher's stone might be their only way out.

I agree. Certainly, though, they will have to use the Stone for unplanned purposes, i.e. getting impaled.

Mena: Wow, good job! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Quick thought

It seems highly unlikely that Ed's current brush with death and Al's collapse are unconnected. This got me thinking:

I assume that the theory of a tripartite person is accurate--body, soul, and mind. We know where Al's body is--sitting by the Gate. We know where Al's soul is--bound to the armor. However, where's his mind? Given that the mind is what links the soul to the body, from what we've seen so far, it seems reasonable to claim that Al's mind is in Ed. Not only is Ed's body supporting the biological needs of Al's body, his mind serves as Al's, serving as the link between Al's body and soul. When this link is in danger of being cut, the soul instinctively tries to return to its body.

In short, Ed is really in some deep .... right now, but he's so badass that he'll find some badass way to pull through. Yay for the next few chapters! biggrin.gif

Your theory about Al's mind being in Ed seems just given the facts. Ed's blood seal in Al's armour serves more of a purpose than just some nice aray inside of his armour. Finally we get to see how much power it holds. Great theory guys!
Animeoldtimer
That theory does seem plausible, but Ed wouldn't be able to cauterize that wound without removing the rod first. Removing the rod himself would cause re-injury, I believe. Plus he's unconscious. I wonder who will find him first. Your theory about Al's mind is great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.