Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 75 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2
His Name is Unknown
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 75 here. smile.gif

For info on the "Reading Reference", go to page 7.

==========================

~ Chapter 75 Preview, ..."The Last Days of Xerxes"... ~

Hey everyone! I happened across this preview while searching for information on the new chapter:

http://community.livejournal.com/hagaren_manga/248132.html

It looks like this may finally be the revelation of what happened to Xerxes! At the very least, we'll be getting some more background on Hoho, which is never a bad thing!!! happy.gif

Oh, and Chapter 75 should be out tomorrow for those still wondering...

Forchapter 75 summary from Japanese site & translated by Tombow, please scroll down to my post at the bottom of this page. ^^

<Last edited by Michiyo- on Nov. 6, 2011>
fuyu
I know it's been said a hundred gazillion times before, but ACK Hoho looks sooooooo much like Ed! [Ed: I do NOT!!!]

Can't wait for tomorrow! Heeheeheeeeee...

Thanks, His Name Is Unknown! rolleyes.gif
His Name is Unknown
No problem! biggrin.gif

I wonder what the deal is with Hohenheim's master - he is being hidden from the reader either because he is totally insignificant and is just there to explain Hoho's occupation or he has lasting significance on the Hoho/Father/Pride mystery which continues to develop.

Considering this is Arakawa's manga we're talking about here, I'd guess he will turn out to be quite important - in the previous chapter we did see the back view of a man wearing an outfit suspiciously reminiscent of Father's attire; perhaps the master is the lookalike?

I can feel the tension building! I need this chapter immediately!!!
paca
Chapter 75 is already out in Japan

The Last Days of Xerxes

CodenameElizabeth
AHHH! <3

It is SOOOOO starting out the way I hoped it would!

More young!Hoho FTW!!
(Also hoping for moar Olivia-in-Central action...)
Animeoldtimer
It looks cool. I can't wait to learn more about Hohenheim!

Not to sound negative, but I hope the current story will still move forward. I'm not sure I'd like three months (chapters) of Xerxes.
Alchemical
Yay, more young!Hoho! I think he's more interesting than his older counterpart.

But I agree with Animeoldtimer. I don't want two or three months of just Xerxes!story line.
CodenameElizabeth
Yeah. I feel you re: the Xerxes story-arc.

The Isval thing really DID drag on a bit... lots of pertinant info and character development, tho I think it could have been done in fewer chapters.
His Name is Unknown
Judging by the way Arakawa handled the introduction of young Hoho and the Xerxes flashback - namely, weaving their appearances in with the current storyline to enhance emotion and reveal new information - I don't think we'll be getting the remainder of the Xerxes arc as an isolated narrative.

The main reason Ishbal was presented in linear fashion is because it was being told as a story - through the eyes of Riza as she explained her role to Edward, and also through Marco as he revealed the details of Isbal to Scar.

To devote two or three chapters exclusively to Xerxes at this point in the narrative would be terrible pacing. Furthermore, I feel that Arakawa will continue the trend she began in chapter 74 by meshing the two plots to build tension and further accelerate the overall story to its climax.
ehxhfdl14
Of course biggrin.gif moving back and forth from Xerxes to present is the most probable guess of how Arakawa-sensei would handle the situation, I think.
Triss Hawkeye
Mind, I think we are all eager to find out exactly what happened back at Xerxes. Young Hoho looks so handsome and really like Ed! ^^
CodenameElizabeth
QUOTE(Triss Hawkeye @ Sep 11 2007, 04:53 PM) *
Young Hoho looks so handsome and really like Ed! ^^

I KNOW. It completely blew my mind.

Arakawa made the resemblance very obvious, while still giving the two characters significantly different designs. She kept Ed's eyes, and Hoho's hairstyle to some extent-- all while making young!Hoho look like he's led a rough lifestyle. He's gaunt and a bit rough around the edges, if ya know what I mean.

Arakawa is a brilliant character designer.

paca
I can't find the raw D:!

From http://community.livejournal.com/hagaren_manga/248132.html, translation of first page chapter 75:

"Not just writing and reading, but I've thrown in a little alchemy as well master." (guessing the master is the guy we can't see grabbing his collar....)
"How about making me your assistant?"

(he's quoting what he's reading)
"Everything comes from the one and everything returns to the one" (think of the one as nothing... or the unified everything... or ... something like that...)

"In other words, the one is everything."
"Everything starts from the one and so everything is within the one"
Alchemical
QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Sep 11 2007, 04:56 PM) *
I KNOW. It completely blew my mind.

Arakawa made the resemblance very obvious, while still giving the two characters significantly different designs. She kept Ed's eyes, and Hoho's hairstyle to some extent-- all while making young!Hoho look like he's led a rough lifestyle. He's gaunt and a bit rough around the edges, if ya know what I mean.

Arakawa is a brilliant character designer.

Exactly what I told my friends. Arakawa-sensei is a brilliant character designer.
Tombow
Thank you, His Name is Unknown and Paca!!!
Ohhh!! I get the goosebumps reading this!!

My quick translations of the summary of chapter 75 from Japanese sites Paca has posted:

Chapter 75 summary: "The Last Days of Xerxes"

Hoho teaches Math and Literature to other slaves. One day his master finds out about it.
The master scolds Hoho, but Hoho asks his master to make him his assistant.

Some time has past, Hoho is now a young man. He is having better life as the assistant to his master, and learning more about Alchemy. Homunculus tells Hoho his wish to get out of the flask. If it gets out of the flask it will die.

Hoho's master with Homunculus are summoned to the castle to audience the Xerxes king. Hoho stays behind.
What the king asked to the Homunclus was about getting the immortal life. Homunculus grins.
It looks down on the king's wish for the immortality, but teaches him how to achieve it.

Huge construction project has begun. Water canals throughout the country. People of Xerxes praise the king. People are excited and very happy about the new water ways. Though, the laborers of the construction sites stay cool.

One night, people in one Xerxes village awaken to huge noises. They go outside to find the village is on fire, and the village populations are being murdered. Ones who were playing construction workers, they are the ones murdering the village people. They are holding a drawing of transmutation circle for the Philosopher's Stone, with the marks on each of Five points.

Hoho hears the news that everyone in the Northern village of Botus (spelling??) has been murdered. The Homunculus grins.
The king is inside the old Xerxes ruin, standing in front of the wall drawing of transmutation circle for the Philosopher's Stone. King: "Hurry, soon, soon.."

Time passed. The king is further aged and now ill. The canals (transmutation circle) are finally completed.
The ceremony to make the king "immortal" has begun inside the old Xerxes ruin, in front of the wall drawing of transmutation circle for the Philosopher's Stone.
Attending the ceremony is Hoho, aged now and he looks as old as the current day Hoho. He is holding Homunculus in the flask.

Hoho knows nothing. He is innocently amazed: "Amazing!! Our king will become immortal!!"
The king cuts his finger, and his blood drips down.

Then it begun. Numerous black hands come up from the ground.
Hoho: "What!!??" His master is down, people are down, horses are down, they are all being killed. The king who was assured by Homunculus that no harm would reach him, gets killed also.

Hoho: "What!!?? What is happening!!??" "Homunclus, what have you done??!!"
Homunculus: "The true center of the transmutation circle is where you and I are standing, right here." "I used your blood that was in me to open the Gate. Hohenheim, my blood family, we are at the center of everything."

Underneath Hoho's foot, a gigantic eye of the "Truth" appears. Throughout the country, the black hands appear, take people's souls, then gather towards Hoho and the Homunculus.

The morning after. Hoho wakes up. By his foot, broken flask. Hoho walks around and calls out friends' name. Nobody answers.

"No use. Everyone's souls are taken. How is your body?"
Behind him, a person appears. His face is the same as Hoho's!!
Hoho: "Homunculus? What has happened??!! What do you mean by 'how is my body?'!!??"

Homunculus speaks to Hoho: "I used the information from your blood to make this vessel. Finally, I can walk with my own legs. As my appreciation for giving me your blood, I gave you a name, knowledge, and now the immortal body in return for all the souls of people in this nation... Well, I took half of them, though."

Inside Hohenheim, he hears numerous souls screaming for help. Hoho screams.

........Back to the current day.
Someone is calling Hoho's name. He was sleeping on the moving train, and the people who woke him up were Izumi and Sig. They seem to have met before. Now they learn that Hoho is father of Ed and Al, and Izumi is their Alchemy master.

While walking in the town together, Izumi coughs up blood. Hoho touches Izumi, and realizes something. Hoho sends off Sig to get a ride.

Alone with Izumi, Hoho asks Izumi: "You saw the Truth? What have you sacrificed in return?"
Izumi is reluctant to answer. Hoho tells her that he has some Xing's Medical knowledge. Izumi tells Hoho that she has lost part of her inner organs when tried to resurrect her child.

Hoho asks Izumi if she was visited by the military recently. Izumi tells that in the past, but she refused. Hoho seems relieved with that answer. "Excuse me." Hoho puts his hand inside Izumi's stomach. Izumi coughs up blood. Sig sees that and punches Hoho.

Izumi tells Sig: "I'm fine. I feel better." Sig: "He stabbed his hand inside you. Show me the wound." Izumi: "There is no wound."
Hoho: "The organs that had been lost can not be recovered, but I reorganized the inside so that she has better circulation of the blood now." "Mrs. izumi, you can not die yet."

Izumi is astounded, and asks Hoho his identity. Hoho: "A monster... no, I will tell you the truth... I am.. a Philosopher's Stone with a shape of human being, called Van Hohenheim."

Caption reads: The Philosophers Stone, what Ed and Al have chased, searched, and longed for. That is the identity of Hohenheim, the father of Ed and Al!!??

(End of chapter 75)

Done with the translations of the chapter 75 summary!!
Whew!!! What a chapter!!!! blink.gif
paca
O: So interesting chapter!!! I want the raw >.<!!!!
<3 Thanks Tombow for the translation!!!

"I used your blood that was in me to open the Gate."
How can a humunculus open the gate???? O.o .... strange~~ (weren't they unable to do alchemy?? )
Vitor 3000
QUOTE(paca @ Sep 11 2007, 08:16 PM) *
weren't they unable to do alchemy??

The manga never said it clearly. It just didn't show any Homunculus making a transmutation, but never said "they can't do it!" Altough I do understand your logic, I'd prefeer if you try to forget that idea.

And I'm hoping to read the next chapter soon.
So, it will focus in Xerxes? I was hoping Arakawa was holding this story until the end. *I'm trying not to think "so, finally, the end has come."*
CodenameElizabeth
So it's possible that HohoPapa really IS the "Sage of the East"...
Edamame
I believe that there is a definite possibility of Hoenheim being the Sage of the East Liz. I am seriously itching to read this chaper; I have a feeling some of the more pressing questions regarding Father and the origins of Pride may be answered. I would also like to learn more about the history of Xerxes. This upcoming chapter surely looks promising. Thank you for the translations [b]Tombow[/b
(Young Hoho is oddly attractive *_*)
TheRainbowConnection
Hmmm. So blood opens the Gate? I will wait for the RAW and scanlations before I start theorycrafting. laugh.gif
ExhileVoid
Well the reason why the Anime Homunculi can't perform Alchemy is because they come from The Gate. They also lack human souls which are the source of a persons ability to perform alchemy. However, its different in the manga, they are made from a Philospher's stone and they have MANY souls inside them.

Blood and flesh opens the gate while the souls become the philosopher's stone. So it takes both body and soul to create the Perfect PS, but where's the Mind? Wait! The Homunculis said that it used Hoho's blood to open the gate. Does it really matter who's blood is it? If Hoho's blood is needed again, that would mean Father and the Homunculi need to take extra care of Ed since he's the only person with a body that carries Hoho's blood unless they get Al back into his body again.
CodenameElizabeth
True. The homunculi NEED the souls in the philosophers stone because they have none of their own.

Hmmmm... blood... the Gate... does anyone else think that this might be related to the fact that Ed "bound" Al's soul to the armor using his own blood (given at a time of great desparation?) He was able to somehow pull Al's soul from the Gate... Could this be why those two are such important sacrifices?
Tombow
the translation of chapter 75 summary from Japanese site is done!!
Please see my post at the bottom of first page. ^^

So, Hoho is the Philosopher's Stone..
And that's how Father got Hoho's look.

Whew, what a revelation!! What a chapter!!
I am getting goosebumps!!
I can't wait to read the raw!!!
Chiyo
Tombow, in just a few words you managed to make me go BLOODY HELL...be proud.

Ha, is this a sign of the start of the end or what
CodenameElizabeth
Read the summary. Bricks were shat. THAT was some revalation...
(Dayamn this makes the manga SOOOO much better than the anime!)

Thanks Tombow for the translation.
I'm glad they brought in Izumi again. Thought she was too important to be left out. Having seen the gate and all.
paca
O: Amazing chapter!!!!!
So many revelations!!! >.<
T_T are we getting closer to the end? (81 chapters ? weren't they?)

The humunculis in the flask...we go on not- knowing which one of the seven is it....mhhhh....(we can suppose, but not be sure)...
Animeoldtimer
How very symbolic! The very thing the brothers need to get their bodies back is the person they or at least Ed wants nothing to do with! Hoho seems a bit of a jerk though for not telling Ed when he saw him he could help him. However, I guess Ed wasn't giving him a chance to make that offer.
jayjay210
VERY GREAT CHAPTER!!!!!!!
The mystery has been revealed : Father is a homunculus, not a human being!!

are we getting closer to the end?

I don't think. Recently, Arakawa-sensei gave an interview to GanGan, and she explains that she wants to develop other countries around Amestris ( Xing!! ). Ed and Al will discover an important revelation about Philosophal stone, and maybe they will go after to Xing!! A link with Xing's alchemy ?
In Perfect Guide Book 2, Arakawa had already say the story would go to the North of Amestris and we would meet Armstrong's sister. And this had been truth!! So... tongue.gif

His Name is Unknown
Well, THAT was certainly an interesting bit of information.

Gives plausibility to my theory that Ed will have to sacrifice his father - or perhaps I should say, Hohenheim will sacrifice himself - for the reunion of the brothers.

Again, this is an exact parallel to Hoho's death in the anime movie.

...And the mystery surrounding the identity of pride deepens.

Also, it is increasingly apparent that Selim is not a homunculus, but is rather being controlled by Father/Pride. There is still room for doubt, but this chapter has added some significant weight to the possession theory.

TheRainbowConnection
It makes perfect sense to me that they'd go to Xing. After all, if they're reluctant to use the Stone to regain their bodies, using Xing's medical alchemy would be the next best bet.

What's more interesting is that Pride calls himself "The First Homunculus", although he now is most obviously not. Does it simply not know? Did Father create it that way? Maybe, at the end, it will indeed be Father's Pride that does him in. (Heehee, I made a punny.)

EDIT: Hmmm, reading His Name is Unknown's post, the question once again pops up: Father and Pride--one and the same? I have to run to work, so I can't check previous chapters for evidence (i.e. referring to each other or being in the same frame, etc.).
paca

Raw chapter 75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in the same page there is a link to the translations wink.gif )
Chiyo
Huzzah, the raw, I know we know the basic story but yippe all the same...

I am not SHORT!
I found the raw i just need a traslation!!!
Edamame
Holy ....! *_* I am still in a little state of shock. Tombow's chapter summary alone was enough to give me goosebumps. Paca, thank you so much for the link to the raw. I should be doing schoolwork, but that can take a little break.
Chiisana
Chapter 75 is called the last day of Xerxes? Oh seems like we know what actually happened, and not to mention that Hohenheim is part of the incident? >_>

EDIT: My godness... Even though I don't understand much of the raw chapter, I kept getting surprise as I look at the pages. So much surprises >_< Even screamed out loud when I came to page 25... Uwaaaah it feels so weird when Hiromu attacks you with surprises all of the sudden. -Depressing-
Tombow
~ Chapter 75 Spoiler Party!, With the Chapter Summary, & Translations ~

Link to Raw is posted here.

Chapter 75 summary: "The Last Days of Xerxes"

Hoho teaches Math and Literature to other slaves. One day his master finds out about it.
The master scolds Hoho, but Hoho asks his master to make him his assistant.

Some time has past, Hoho is now a young man. He is having better life as the assistant to his master, and learning more about Alchemy. Homunculus tells Hoho his wish to get out of the flask. If it gets out of the flask it will die.

Hoho's master with Homunculus are summoned to the castle to audience the Xerxes king. Hoho stays behind.
What the king asked to the Homunclus was about getting the immortal life. Homunculus grins.
It looks down on the king's wish for the immortality, but teaches him how to achieve it.

Huge construction project has begun. Water canals throughout the country. People of Xerxes praise the king. People are excited and very happy about the new water ways. Though, the laborers of the construction sites stay cool.

One night, people in one Xerxes village awaken to huge noises. They go outside to find the village is on fire, and the village populations are being murdered. Ones who were playing construction workers, they are the ones murdering the village people. They are holding a drawing of transmutation circle for the Philosopher's Stone, with the marks on each of Five points.

Hoho hears the news that everyone in the Northern village of Botus (spelling??) has been murdered. The Homunculus grins.
The king is inside the old Xerxes ruin, standing in front of the wall drawing of transmutation circle for the Philosopher's Stone. King: "Hurry, soon, soon.."

Time passed. The king is further aged and now ill. The canals (transmutation circle) are finally completed.
The ceremony to make the king "immortal" has begun inside the old Xerxes ruin, in front of the wall drawing of transmutation circle for the Philosopher's Stone.
Attending the ceremony is Hoho, aged now and he looks as old as the current day Hoho. He is holding Homunculus in the flask.

Hoho knows nothing. He is innocently amazed: "Amazing!! Our king will become immortal!!"
The king cuts his finger, and his blood drips down.

Then it begun. Numerous black hands come up from the ground.
Hoho: "What!!??" His master is down, people are down, horses are down, they are all being killed. The king who was assured by Homunculus that no harm would reach him, gets killed also.

Hoho: "What!!?? What is happening!!??" "Homunclus, what have you done??!!"
Homunculus: "The true center of the transmutation circle is where you and I are standing, right here." "I used your blood that was in me to open the Gate. Hohenheim, my blood family, we are at the center of everything."

Underneath Hoho's foot, a gigantic eye of the "Truth" appears. Throughout the country, the black hands appear, take people's souls, then gather towards Hoho and the Homunculus.

The morning after. Hoho wakes up. By his foot, broken flask. Hoho walks around and calls out friends' name. Nobody answers.

"No use. Everyone's souls are taken. How is your body?"
Behind him, a person appears. His face is the same as Hoho's!!
Hoho: "Homunculus? What has happened??!! What do you mean by 'how is my body?'!!??"

Homunculus speaks to Hoho: "I used the information from your blood to make this vessel. Finally, I can walk with my own legs. As my appreciation for giving me your blood, I gave you a name, knowledge, and now the immortal body in return for all the souls of people in this nation... Well, I took half of them, though."

Inside Hohenheim, he hears numerous souls screaming for help. Hoho screams.

........Back to the current day.
Someone is calling Hoho's name. He was sleeping on the moving train, and the people who woke him up were Izumi and Sig. They seem to have met before. Now they learn that Hoho is father of Ed and Al, and Izumi is their Alchemy master.

While walking in the town together, Izumi coughs up blood. Hoho touches Izumi, and realizes something. Hoho sends off Sig to get a ride.

Alone with Izumi, Hoho asks Izumi: "You saw the Truth? What have you sacrificed in return?"
Izumi is reluctant to answer. Hoho tells her that he has some Xing's Medical knowledge. Izumi tells Hoho that she has lost part of her inner organs when tried to resurrect her child.

Hoho asks Izumi if she was visited by the military recently. Izumi tells that in the past, but she refused. Hoho seems relieved with that answer. "Excuse me." Hoho puts his hand inside Izumi's stomach. Izumi coughs up blood. Sig sees that and punches Hoho.

Izumi tells Sig: "I'm fine. I feel better." Sig: "He stabbed his hand inside you. Show me the wound." Izumi: "There is no wound."
Hoho: "The organs that had been lost can not be recovered, but I reorganized the inside so that she has better circulation of the blood now." "Mrs. izumi, you can not die yet."

Izumi is astounded, and asks Hoho his identity. Hoho: "A monster... no, I will tell you the truth... I am.. a Philosopher's Stone with a shape of human being, called Van Hohenheim."

Caption reads: The Philosophers Stone, what Ed and Al have chased, searched, and longed for. That is the identity of Hohenheim, the father of Ed and Al!!??

(End of chapter 75)

And, for Page by page translations, see my following post below. ^^
Tombow
Thank you Paca for the link to the Raw!!! biggrin.gif

Opened Chapter 75 Spoiler Party thread. ^^
Chapter Summary (completed) on the first page, and the Chpater translations in progress. smile.gif
Chiisana
I cant read japanese, but I knew there was something about Hohenheim being a philosopher's stone when I read the chapter. >_< Aaaaah things are getting scary~

If Hohenheim is philosopher's stone, then... It doesn't look like he would help his son to get back their body. What is he trying to do? To stop 'Father'? But we don't even know what 'Father' is trying to do either.

So complicated (not really) x_x
Tombow
@Chiisana - Yap. Hohenheim is a philosopher's stone!! What a revelation!! wacko.gif

Page by page translations:

Chapter 75: "The Last Days of Xerxes"

(For the first two-page pic that is presented first in the raw, please see Page 18-19 below.)

Page 1:
Caption on the Left: Hohenheim has received a name from Homunculus in a flask. He has acquired the knowledge, learned to read and write...and.....
----------------------------
Young Hohenheim is teaching other slaves reading and writing.
Hohenheim: "This is how you write 'Sun'."
Slave: "This way?"
Hohenheim: "Yes, yes." "This is 'Moon'."
Slave: "Hey, how do you write 'Fish'?"
Hohenheim: "This is how." "If you write this way, it means 'I catch three fish'."
Slave: "It's sure good to be able to read and write!!"
Older slave: "Yeah, less chance of getting cheated by our bosses at work."
Slave: "Where did you learn to read and write without our noticing it?"
Hohenheim: "That's a secret!"

Page 2:
Hohenheim: "Let's do Math with calculations for two digit numbers tomorrow."
Slave: "Oh yeah, please!"
Their slave master catches them taking breaks from their work.
Slave master: "Hey---!!" "So this is where you've been all shirking!!"
Master: "You worthless scraps! Do you want me to take away your meals again?!"
Hohenheim: "Whoa...oh!! I'm sorry Master!!"
Slave master notices the writings on the ground.
Master: "...Can you write?"
Hohenheim: "Um.. yes. I can read & write, and do basic Math also."
Master: "This is surprising." "I see.. I see...I found it odd that the slaves have recently started to gain some knowledge. You were the one teaching them."

Page 3:
Hohenheim, seeing his master being impressed, sees the opportunity and seizes it.
Hohenheim: "Not only reading and writing, I've learned a little bit of Alchemy also." "Would you make me your assistant?"
Chapter 75: "The Last Days of Xerxes"
Some time has passed. Hohenheim is a young man now. He works as his master's assistant.
He is reading an Alchemy book in the lab. Homunculus stays in the flask nearby.

Hohenheim: "'All things are created from one; All things will return to one.'"
Hohenheim: "'In other words, one is all.'" "'Because of one all will exist; All will be contained within one'"

Page 4:
Hohenheim keeps reading the book: "If one does not contain all, all becomes nothing."
Homunculus: "You sounds like a full-fledged Alchemist."
Hohenheim: "No, I haven't surpassed being a mere assistant yet."
Hohenheim: "I'm still far away from reaching my master's skill level."
Homunculus: "...."
Hohenheim takes Homunculus in a flask to the window, and talks with him while watching sunset.
Hohenheim: "I'm grateful to you."
Homunculus"For what?"
Hohenheim: "Because you have given me this knowledge I can have this better life now. Now I can just reminisce about my days as a slave"
Homunculus: "No, it is I who must thank you."
Homunculus: "I was able to be born into this world because you've given me your blood. In other words, you are like my parent."
Hohenheim: <in small letters> Hahaha
Hohenheim: "I don't even have a family yet, and I've already got a kid, eh?"

Page 5:
Homunculus: "Family... eh?" "Humans are inconvenient beings. You must hold a community to propagate in order to preserve your species."
Hohenheim: "Don't call it 'propagate'."
Hohenheim: "It may look foolish to you," "But we humans feel happiness in having families and companions, and such."
Homunculus: "Hmmm. Is that so"
Hohenheim: "Then, in what do you find happiness?"
Homunculus: "Let's see.."
Homunculus: " I won't ask anything extravagant. If I could have a body that would let me stay outside of this flask that would make be happy."
Homunculus: "Because I would die if I come out of this flask now."

Page 6:
Their conversation is interrupted by Hohenheim's master.
Slave master: "Hey! You took it out of the lab again, Hohenheim:?"
Hohenheim: "I'm sorry."
Slave master: "I have business with Homunculus. Give it to me."
Slave master: "The king wants to talk to you."
Homunculus: "Oh?"
Hohenheim is left alone, and wonders: The king? What could it be?
Homunculus meets with the King in the darkness of the night
Homunculus: "Immortality?"
Homunculus: "Huh... How come ones who have reached the peak of power and fortune would all go for that next..."
Master: "Mind your language, Homunculus."

Page 7:
Master: "You are in the Imperial presence of the King of Xerxes!"
Master: "If you stay impudent I will smash your flask!"
Homunculus: "Hah. You come out so high handed."
Homunculus: "You guys have happened to be able to create me by chance."
Homunculus: "If you do anything to me, won't it be your heads that get smashed?"
Master: <in small letters> Gha....
King interrupts: "Enough with the idol talk."
King: "Immortality." "Can it be achieved or not?"

Page 8:
The king is old. His hand is shaking.
Holmunculus: "I see you are becoming impatient as you grow old and frail." "Sad, isn't it, King of Xerxes?"
Homunculus: "Fine." "I will teach you how to obtain immortality."
Homunculus grins.
A worker is digging the ground.
Big construction has begun.

Page 9:
Farmer: "What's this construction? It's huge."
Laborer: "It's an irrigation canal."
Laborer: "By the order of the King, there will be water ways throughout the country."
Farmer: "Is that really so? Maybe our fields could receive the benefits from them also?"
Farmer: "He is indeed a great King of Xerxes." "He thinks about the common people like us also."
Farmer's wife: "Please work hard!"
Farmer couple talk to each other as they leave: "Hope it will be completed soon." "Maybe I will bring some treats to the workers later."
Laborers watch them ambivalently as they leave.
Later that night, (or some days later, at night.)
Farmer couple is asleep.

Page 10:
Farmer awakens with the noise outside.
"Ahhhh!!" "Guahhhhhh!!"
Farmer gets up to check.
Farmer: "What's the ruckus?"
Farmers goes outside.
The village is on fire. Men on the horses are murdering the village's people.
Farmer recognizes one of the men on the horses.
Farmer: "!!" "You are the worker for the irrigation canal....!!"

Page 11:
Man on the horse comes into the farmer's house.
Farmer: "Heeeh!!"
Man on the horse wields the blade at the farmer couple.
Wife: "Ah..."
Farmer: "Ahhhh...."
The house is set on fire.
The whole village is on fire.
Bandit leader: "Do not miss anyone."
Bandit: "Yes."
Bandit leader is holding a piece of paper.
Behind him, the sound of raging fire.
The paper he is holding has the drawing of a circle with five points with a mark on one of them.
Bandit: "Next is..."

Page 12:
Hohenheim overhears the news about the demise of the village.
Slave: "I heard Bodus village up North has been decimated in one night."
Slave: "Why?"
Slave: "They say maybe the village was attacked by bandits." "I hear everyone, without exception, had been killed, and it was so atrocious.
Hohenheim tells the news to Homunculus.
Hoenheim: "Awful news." "Bodus village was attacked by bandits, and the whole village population was massacred."
Homunclulus: "Hmm..." "How dreadful."
The King wishes for the speedy completion of the project.
King: "Hurry..."
King: "Quickly..."

Page 13:
The king is inside the old Xerxes ruin, standing in front of the wall drawing of the transmutation circle for the Philosopher's Stone.
King: "Quickly...!!"
Some years have past.
Master: "Your majesty, the water ways have been completed." "Now the Transmutation Circle your majesty has long wished for has been..."
King: "Ah.. It has been a long time... Finally."
King has been further aged. Holding the audience while in the bed
He talks to Homunculus in a flask held by the slave master.
King: "This is how it should be done, right? Homunculus?"
Homunculus: "Everything was done right. The king will be able to become immortal."
King: "I feel regret for the villagers who were being used for the transmutation circle, but," "with this..." "With this..."
King wheezes.
Master: "Under the majesty's wise and sagacious rule, Xerxes's citizens should enjoy the eternal peace and stability of the nation.

Page 14:
Master: "Now. Let's begin the ritual."
King is in the middle of inside the old Xerxes ruin with the wall drawing of the transmutation circle for the Philosopher's Stone.
On the side is now aged Hohenheim, holding the Homunculus in a flask.
King slits his finger with a knife.
Blood from the king drips down.
On the wall is a transmutation circle.

Page 15:
Alchemy master and his assistants watch King.
Hohenheim is being amazed.
Hohenheim: "This is great."
Hohenheim: "Our King will become immortal."
Hohenheim: "This is moment of the Century...!!!
Strange occurrence on the ground.
Underneath their feet, numerous black ribbons with hands rise up from the ground.

Page 16:
King: "Oh!... This is the... "
King: "Immortal.....?!"
Master screams: Gha...!!
King to Master: "What is it?!" "What happened?!"
Master: "Gaha!!"
Then, the King himself..
King: "?!" "Guh!!... Muh!!"
King: "How so?" "You told us there would be no harm to us..."
Even horses are being affected.
Everywhere people are going down.
People: "Gua!!" Aaaagh!?" "Guh!!"

Page 17:
Hohehnheim: "What?" "What is happening?!"
Hohenheim: "Hey, Homun..."
Homunculus is grinning inside the flask.
Hohenheim: to Homunculus: "....What have you done?!"
Homunculus with a big grin and one eye showing, points with his finger.
Homunculus Homunculus speaks to Hohenheim who is holding his flask in his hands: "The true center of the transmutation circle is where you are standing, right HERE." "I used your blood inside me and opened the Gate."
Homunculus: "Hohenheim, my family, who has shared his blood with me," "now, you and I are being at the center of everything!"

Page 18 - 19:
Horrible scene of Xerxes's last day. As Hohenheim stands with the Homunculus in the flask, the giant Eye of Truth comes out of ground, as well as numerous black hands!!

Page 20:
All the black hands with stolen souls converge on Hohenheim and Homunculus.
Hohenheim lets go of the flask.
The flask shatters, Homunculus with the grinning eye and mouth is finally being outside of the flask.
They also converge on Hohenheim.

Page 21:
So the process is completed.
And, everything quiets down.
Morning after.
Hohenheim is on the temple ground.

Page 22:
Hohenheim awakens.
Hohenheim: "Um..."
The morning sunlights shines in the quiet temple.
Hohenheim: "What..."
By his foot, broken pieces of the flask.
Hohenheim: "Why is it so quiet." "Someone..."
Hohenheim: "Some..."
Corpses on the steps.
No sign of life on the body.

Page 23:
Hoenheim: "Dead... Everyone..."
Hohenheim: "Someone....."
Hohenheim: "Willard" "Mehitilt(spelling?)" "Rheinmile (spelling?)"
Hohenheim: "Tony" "Mayo"
Hohenheim: "What is this..."
Hohenheim: "Someone..." "Please answer me."

Page 24:
Someone is alive and talks to Hohenheim from behind.
Voice: "That would be impossible." "All of them are having their souls taken out of them."
Hohenheim turns around, and finds someone wearing the King's clothings.
Hohenheim: "! Your Majesty!!" "You are safe!"
Voice: "Do they look good on me?"
Voice: "I chose these from clothes I could find around me and put them on."
Voice: "How is that body of yours?" "Is it working fine?"

Page 25:
The person has.. the same face as Hohenheim!!
Hohenheim: "I am..." "...there..."

Page 26:
Homunculus: "I made this vessel using the information from your blood." "Finally, I can walk on my own feet."
Hohenheim: "You... are you Homunculus!?" "I don't understand what has happened!! What do you mean 'how my body is?'!?"
Homunculus: "Concentrate your mind to inside yourself."
Homunculus: "As my appreciation for giving me your blood, I gave you a name, I gave you the knowledge."
Homunculus: "And-------"

Page 27:
Homunculus: "I gave you a body that would never decay." "In exchange for the souls of every human beings in this country."
Inside Hohenheim he hears voices after voices of souls.
"Kill me." "Kill me." "I don't want to die." "Please." "Help" "Someone" "Please kill me." "No." "Get me out...." "Mother."
Homunculus: "Although," "I took half of them myself."
Homunculus: "Finally, I was able to come out of that cramped flask."
Hohenheim: "Ah....."
Homunculus: "I appreciate your cooperation," "Hohenheim"
Hohenheim screams in agony: AHHHHHHHHAAAAGGGGGG

Page 28:
Back to the current day. Someone is calling Hohhhhhhenheim's name.
Voice: "...heim..."
Voice: "...Mr...." "Mr. Hohenheim"
Izumi: "Hello there, you with the beard!!"
Hohenheim wakes up: "Ah?"
He is on the train.
Izumi: "Just as I thought." "You're Mr. Hohenheim, right?"
Izumi: "Do you remember me?"
They get off the train, and talk while walking in town.
Izumi: "I couldn't have guessed that you're the parent of Ed and Al."
Hohenheim: "Same here. I've never guessed you were the Alchemy master for my sons."

Page 29:
Hohenheim: "I hear you took care of my sons very much. Thank you."
Izumi: "Ahaha! Don't mention it."
Hohenheim: "... Because I left my home without having acted much as their parent," "they have often had to rely on others to take care of them."
Izumi: "........." "Maybe you should have had a proper talk with these boys before you left home?"
Hohenheim: "Yes, indeed." "How embarrassing."
Izumi coughs: "Cough!"
Izumi coughs up blood.
Hohenheim: "Mrs. Izumi?"
Sig: "Izumi!!"

Page 30:
Sig: "Medicine, medicine."
Hohenheim: "Are you all right!?"
Hohenheim touches Izumi on her shoulder.
Hohenheim realizes something.

Hoenheim: "Mr. Sig, could you go and get a ride?"
Sig: "Eh?..."
Izumi: "It will be all right. This is my usual thing."
Hohenheim: "I have a bit of medical knowledge," "And this is not all right."
Hohenheim: "Hurry!"
Sig: "Oh... Oh!"

Page 31:
After sending out Sig and being alone with Izumi, Hoenheim talks to Izumi.
Hohenheim: "Mrs. Izumi, you..."
Hohenheim: "You have seen the Truth, haven't you?"
Hohenheim: "What have you sacrificed?"
Izumi is reluctant to talk: "....."
Hohenheim: "Please don't evade the question. I'm not one of those run-of-the-mill Alchemists." "Besides, as I've just told you, I know some Medical knowledge also."
Hohenheim: "Although, it is of Xing Medicine, so you might think it is questionable."
Izumi: "Xingese... ??"

Page 32:
Hohenheim's words about knowing Xingese Medicine seem to have caught Izumi's attention. Izumi decide to tell to Hoenheim.
Izumi: "Some of my organs have been taken away."
Izumi: "I tried to resurrect my dead child, and as a result I am left with a body that can never have a child again."
Hohenheim: "I see..." "Hm." "I see..."
Izumi" Cough.
Hohenheim: "Mrs. Izumi, have you been contacted by the Military recently?"
Izumi: "? In the past, Fuhrer visited me and tried to persuade me to become a State Alchemist... but I refused."
Hohenheim: " That's good." "Excuse me for a moment."
Izumi: "Eh? "

Page 33:
Hohenheim places his had into Izumi's stomach.
Izumi: "...Ah..?"

Page 34:
Hohenheim pulls out his hand from Izumi's body.
Izumi coughs up blood.
Sig sees that.
Sig punches Hoenheim.
Sig: "Izumi!!" "Stay strong!"

Page 35:
Sig: "Izumi!!"
Izumi: "Hon, calm down." "I am all right."
Izumi: "... I can breath easier."
Izumi <in small letters> cough
Sig: "Nonsense!! You were stabbed in the stomach. Show me your wound!!"
Izumi: "Wound..." "It's not there."
Hohenheim: "The organs that were taken away, those were the evidence of your sin and can not be returned. But," "I reorganized the inside of your stomach a little so that you would get better blood circulations."
Hohenheim: <in small letters> ouch
Hohenheim: "Mrs. Izumi, you can not fall yet."
Izumi: ".....Hohenheim" "You, what are you...!?"

Page 36:
Hohenheim: "A monster..." "That's what I might say in a case like this, but I should tell you the truth."
---------------------------
Hohenheim: "I am a Philosopher's Stone, in a shape of a human being called, Von Hohenheim."
Caption on the Right: "The Philosophers Stone, what Ed and Al have chased, searched, and longed for. That is the true identity of their father, Hohenheim...!!??

(End of chapter 75)
Continues on chapter 76, coming out in Japan on Friday, Oct. 12.

*Yukiko
Wow... thanks everyone for the summary/raw/partial translations!

It's definitely an intense chapter.. Hoho takes it pretty bad when he wakes up and him and the "homunculus" are the only ones alive.. then again, any person would react the same way. On a lighter note, we now know why Father dresses the way he does ^^;;

So father is an artificial being that was created in the flask yes? How did Hoho's master manage to create him in the first place?? The homunculi we know all need a stone to be created, but the one in the flask had to create one himself... so there is more than one way to create a homunculus

So Father and Hoho each share half of the same philosophers stone... but I thought envy had the xerxes stone... maybe i made that up?? So if it takes so much mass carnage to create a stone, where did all the homunculi get their stones from? The comparitively little carnage in all the different wars in Amestris don't seem to be enough, plus the homunculi seem to have lived through most of those

Another thing... Hoho describes himself as "a philosopher's stone in a human body that is called Van Hoenheim"... but he was originally human first, so why does he call himself the stone? His body was literally turned into a stone and is not like the homunculi who have a stone as their center? Both Father and Hoho never seem to die when killed, unlike the other homunculi who die but then regenerate... so the form of the philosopher's stone inside gives them different abilities.

Sigh... too many more questions, not enough concrete answers.... still no word on Al's almost rejection or the group that's heading right into enemy hands....
HisshouBuraiKen
~ Chapter 75 Translation, Hoenheim's Harrowed History ~

Remember to keep your eyes peeled on mangahelpers.com and fmahq.com for the TMI release of this chapter!

Page 1:
Side: Having received a name from Homunculus, Hoenheim is now gaining knowledge...learning how read, write, and...

SFX: Scrape scrape scrape
Hoenheim: This is "Sun".

Kid: Like this?
Hoenheim: Right.
And this is "Moon."
Kid: Hey, how do you write "Fish?"

Hoenheim: This way.
And if you write this, it says, "Catch three fish."

Guy 1: Man, being able to read and write sure is neat.
Guy 2: Yeah, smarts make it harder for the masters to put one over on you.

Guy 1: When and how did you learn all this, anyway?
Hoenheim: Wouldn't you like to know!

Page 2:
Hoenheim: I'll show you guys how to add numbers tomorrow, okay?
Guy: All right, thanks!

Master: HEY!
What do you greasy little slackers think you're doing?

You worthless scum, you want me to give your next meal to the dogs?
Hoenheim: Ack! I'm sorry, Master!

Master: Can you write?
Hoenheim: Uhh, yeah...I can read, write, and do basic math...

Master: Well, I'll be.
I thought it was strange...the servants have all been getting smarter. So you're the one teaching them, eh?

Page 3:
Hoenheim: In addition to reading and writing, I can do a little alchemy too, Master.
Why don't I assist you in a more useful capacity?

Title: The last days of Xerxes

Hoenheim: "All things are made from one, and all things will return to one."

"In other words, one is all."

"By means of one, we have all. Within one, all things exist."

Page 4:
Hoenheim: "Without the whole, there is no piece."

Flask: You've become a fair alchemist, Hoenheim.
Hoenheim: Not good enough to be anything more than an assistant.

The Master's arm still reaches very far...

I'm so grateful to you.
Flask: For what?

Hoenheim: The things you've taught me are the reason I have such a good life now.
My days as a slave seem so long ago.
Flask: Please, I should be thanking you.

It was your blood that gave me life. In a way, you're like my father.

Small text: Hahaha
Hoenheim: Wow, I don't even have a house or family, and I've already got a kid!

Page 5:
Flask: A family, eh...
It must be inconvenient, being human. Your species is forced to gather in communities and breed in order to survive.
Hoenheim: Don't call it "breeding."

Maybe it seems foolish from your point of view,
but we humans get a lot of joy from friends and family.
Flask: Hmmmm...if you say so...

Hoenheim: What would bring you happiness, then?
Flask: Well...

Nothing luxurious...If I leave this flask, I'll die.
So maybe having my own body, and being released from this container.

Page 6:
Master: Hey!
Did you take him out of the lab again, Hoenheim?

I've got business with Homunculus,
hand him over.

Hoenheim: My apologies.

Master: It seems the King wants to talk to you.
Flask: Oh?

Hoenheim: The king?
What could he want?

Flask: Immortality?

Hrmm...What does a guy with so much power and influence want to mess with that for?
Master: Bite your tongue, Homunculus.

Page 7:
Master: You've been summoned before the King of Xerxes!

Commit another rudeness and I'll smash your flask!
Flask: Oh yeah? That's big talk.

If you try something with me here, won't it be your HEADS that end up smashed?

King: Enough blather.

Immortality.
Is it possible or not?

Page 8:
Flash: Scared of aging, eh?
That's sad, your highness.

Fine.
I'll teach you the secret to eternal life.
SFX: Griiiiin

SFX: Shak
Shak

Page 9:
Farmer: What're you boys diggin'? It's huge!
Worker: An irrigation system!

The King has ordered a gigantic canal to be dug around the entire country!
Farmer: Really?
Maybe our fields will be able to use it, too.

The King of Xerxes sure is a great man.
Even up in his palace, he's thinkin' of small-towners like us.
Wife: Work hard!

Bubbles: I hope they finish soon!
We'll dig our own ditch once it's done!

SFX: Snxxx

Page 10:
SFX: Clop clop

Farmer: What'n tarnation...
SFX: Shuffle

SFX: CREE

SFX: FWOOOOOOM

Farmer: You were digging the ditch...!

Page 11:
SFX: CLOP CLOP
Farmer: Hii!

Wife: Aah-
Aaah-

SFX: FWOOM

Guy: Don't leave anyone alive.
Guy 2: Right.

SFX: Boooooom

Guy: Next up is...

Page 12:
Slave 1: I heard that town to the north, Bodas, got wiped off the map last night.
Slave 2: What happened?

Slave 1: I heard it was attacked by rebels.
They killed everyone and burned all the buildings to the ground.

Hoenheim: Sickening.
Those rebels disgust me, killing everyone in Bodas with no provocation...

Flask: Oh...
How terrible...
Flask SFX: Shhaaa

King: Hurry...

Faster...

Page 13:
King: Faster!

Master: Your Highness.
The "irrigation system",
the Transmutation Circle you desired, is complete.
King: Mm...finally. It took so long...

It's all ready now, right Homunculus?
Flask: Sure it.
Soon you'll be immortal, king.

King: My heart goes out to the people who lived in the towns we had to use...
but now...

Master: Under your wise and compassionate rule, highness,
the people of Xerxes will live in peace and prosperity for all eternity.

Page 14:
Master: Now.
It's time to begin the ritual.
SFX: crackle crackle crackle

Knife SFX: Slice

SFX: Drip drip

SFX: crackle crackle

Page 15:
ALL SFX: Zuzuzuzu

Hoenheim: Amazing.
The King's really going to become immortal!

This is the dawn of a new era!

Page 16:
SFX: ZUZUZUZU
King: Ooh...is this...

King: Immortali-?!
Master: Rrgh!

King: What is it?
What's wrong?!
Master: Khagh!

King: Guh-
Mmph-

No...
You said you wouldn't do anything...to us...
SFX: Slide slide slide

Horses: NEEEEEEEEI!

People: GHA-
URGH-
KHARGH
SFX: ZUZUZUZUZUZUZU

Page 17:
ALL SFX: Zuzuzu
Hoenheim: What is this?!
What's happening!

Homun-

What have you done?!

Flask: YOU are standing in the true center of the Transmutation Circle.
And I'm going to use the blood that you've given me to open the gate.

We stand together at the center of all things.
My blood kin, Hoenheim.

Page 18-19:
SFX: BZZT-
RRRRUMBLE

GHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

Page 20:
SFX: DODODODODODODODODODO

Page 21:
SFX: BZOOOOO-

Page 22:
Hoenheim: Ugh...
What...

Why's it so quiet?
Someone...

Anyone...

Page 23:
Hoenheim: They're...they're all dead.

Someone...

Willard?
Mehitilt?
Reinmyle?
Tony?!
Mayo?

What is this...

Someone...
Please, answer me...

Page 24:
King: You're wasting your time.
They've all had their souls ripped out.

Hoenheim: Your majesty!
You're safe!
How do I look?

I tried to take the form I thought would be most appropriate...

What about YOUR body?
Does it feel good?

Page 25:
Hoenheim: You're...
me...

Page 26:
Father: I used the data from your blood to make my new "container"...
Aaah...
I finally have my own feet to walk on.

Hoenheim: Is...
is that YOU, Homunculus?!
I have no idea what happened?
What do you mean, does my body "feel good?"

Father: Close your eyes, and focus on your inner thoughts.

As thanks for your blood, I gave you a name.
I gave you knowledge.

And now...

Page 27:
Father: I've given you immortality.
In exchange for the souls of every citizen in this country.
Small bubbles: Kill me
Kill me
I don't wanna die
No
Kill me
Let me out
Please
I'm scared
Where am I
Please help

Father: Well,
I took half of them for myself, actually.

I'm finally free of that cramped little flask.
Hoenheim: N-

Father: Thank you for everything,
Hoenheim.
SFX: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Page 28:
Small bubbles: Heim...

...Mister...
Mister Hoenheim...

Izumi: Excuse me! You, with the beard!
Hoenheim: Snx-wha?

Izumi: I was right.
You're Mr. Hoenheim, aren't you?

Do you recognize me?

I can't believe I chanced upon Ed and Al's father!
Hoenheim: Same here, I never expected to run into their master!

Page 29:
Hoenheim: Thanks for taking care of my boys.
Izumi: Ahaha! My pleasure!

Hoenheim: I left them without ever really acting like a father...
they keep having to rely on others...

Izumi: Perhaps you should've had a real talk with them before you left?

Hoenheim: No, no...
I was too ashamed.

SFX: KHACK-

Hoenheim: Mrs. Izumi?
Sig: Izumi!
SFX: Cough

Page 30:
Sig: Pills, Pills...
SFX: Hackack
Hoenheim: Are you all right?!

Hoenheim: Mr. Sig, please bring your car over here.
Sig: Huh?
Izumi: It's all right...this happens all the time.

Hoenheim: I know a fair amount about the medicine,
and you are NOT all right.

Hurry!
Sig: R-right!
SFX: Step

Page 31:
Hoenheim: Mrs. Izumi...

You saw the Truth, didn't you?

What did you sacrifice?

Please don't try to hide it from me.
I assure you, I'm not one of "those" alchemists.
And as I said, I have some knowledge of the healing arts.

Of course, they're Xingese skills, so you may think them suspicious.
Izumi: Xingese?

Page 32:
Izumi: It took some of my insides.
I tried to resurrect my dead child,
and ended up with a body that could never bear children again.

Hoenheim: I see...
Mmm...
Yes...
Izumi: Cough

Hoenheim: Mrs. Izumi,
has the military tried to contact you recently?
Izumi: Well, the Fuhrer came once, trying to persuade me to become a State Alchemist. I refused, though.

Hoenheim: Good.
Hold still.
Izumi: Hmm?

Page 33:
SFX: Poke splurch
Izumi: Wha-

Page 34:
SFX: Bzzzrt

SPLUCSH

SFX: WHAM

Sig: Izumi!
Hold on!

Page 35:
Sig: Izumi!!
Izumi: Calm down, dear.
I'm fine.

...I can breathe so easily.
Small bubble: Cough
Sig: Are you insane? He stabbed you in the gut!
Let me see the wound!

Izumi: There...
is...none.

Hoenheim: As the flesh you lost is a symbolizes your sin, I can't return it...
Small text: Ouch.
Hoenheim: But I've rearranged your insides to improve blood flow.

Mrs. Izumi,
You mustn't fall yet.

Izumi: Hoenheim...
What on Earth ARE you?!

Page 36:
Hoenheim: "A monster"...
is what I'd normally say, but I'll tell YOU the truth.

I'm the Philosopher's Stone
given the form of a man, and the name "Van Hoenheim."
Side: The Philosopher's Stone, eternally sought, eternally desired. Is it's true form Ed's father, Hoenheim?!
HisshouBuraiKen
QUOTE(*Yukiko @ Sep 12 2007, 03:32 PM) *
Hoho describes himself as "a philosopher's stone in a human body that is called Van Hoenheim"... but he was originally human first, so why does he call himself the stone? His body was literally turned into a stone and is not like the homunculi who have a stone as their center? Both Father and Hoho never seem to die when killed, unlike the other homunculi who die but then regenerate... so the form of the philosopher's stone inside gives them different abilities.

I'd say it's an emotional thing. He doesn't SEE himself as a human any more, after how long he's lived and what he's been through. I mean, the guy constantly calls himself a monster. I think he feels like he's lost his humanity.

On another note, my translation's up: http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...showtopic=11728
Tombow
Thanks HisshouBuraiKen for your translation!!

Yes, I agree that it's more of emotional thing, that being the Philosopher's Stone is so overwhelming that that's how he feels, more of a walking P Stone, than a human being.
Poor thing.. Now I see that he wasn't given a choice. Hoho just became a Stone. mellow.gif
I am not SHORT!
OHHHH!!!~~~Yippeeee!!!~~~I'll translate the chapter tomorrow! (o;
fuyu
LOL! That scene where Sig punches Hoho is funny! Heeheehee. I guess it's how Hoho's legs were bent or something.

And, man, can I just say, for the millionth time, that young Hoho is hot? Young Hoho is HAWT! Graaaa~h

"Intense chapter" is right. Poor Hoho getting used by Homunculus. And that "Truth" eye opening under Hoenheim is just so freakin'... freaky! In a really awesome way.

Wait. Didn't Father put the stones inside Envy, Lust, Greed and the other homunculi? Could that mean that mean that Hoho can make some, too?
TheRainbowConnection
Thanks, Tombow and HisshouBuraiKen for your super-prompt translations!

All of us non-Japanese readers thank you! biggrin.gif
ehxhfdl14
Well, now there's Hoho's background...along with Father. So Father was the homunculus in the bottle, after all...
Sensenic
Argh, I can't get over this feeling of rushedness... That everything is suddenly going too fast now... I think, for instance, this Flashback should have had its own saga and appear when it would be told by hohenheim to their children at some point, just like the Elrics' and the Ishval FBs were.

I like love this manga, but I'm kinda.... "scared" it may get too rushed, too efectist... Dunno how to put it better u.u

QUOTE(HisshouBuraiKen @ Sep 12 2007, 09:55 PM) *
QUOTE(*Yukiko @ Sep 12 2007, 03:32 PM) *
Hoho describes himself as "a philosopher's stone in a human body that is called Van Hoenheim"... but he was originally human first, so why does he call himself the stone? His body was literally turned into a stone and is not like the homunculi who have a stone as their center? Both Father and Hoho never seem to die when killed, unlike the other homunculi who die but then regenerate... so the form of the philosopher's stone inside gives them different abilities.

I'd say it's an emotional thing. He doesn't SEE himself as a human any more, after how long he's lived and what he's been through. I mean, the guy constantly calls himself a monster. I think he feels like he's lost his humanity.

Third that (Tombow did the "seconding" happy.gifU ).

QUOTE(ehxhfdl14 @ Sep 13 2007, 12:05 AM) *
Well, now there's Hoho's background...along with Father. So Father was the homunculus in the bottle, after all...

Yup... And here I was convinced he was Pride all along...
Gotta admit their manner of speech WAS different, though... And I certainly prefer this version to the "Father was a second Hohenheim that got created from him" or "The Slave was Father all along."

I want to know how "The Hommunculus" was made too!
AND! What went wrong with his plans.... As obviously, while Hoho has remained intact, it is now more obvious, if it wasn't enough before, that Father DOES age, while they should both be the same (a human body with PS on them). Of course, Father's body was made, while Hoho's was already there (so Hoho's was the body that, according to Ed, was "human-transmuted into itself")

So interesting!

Gotta love how the names Hoho kept shouting were the same he was begging their pardons from for using them a few chapters ago. (I think happy.gifU)
Tombow
@Sensenic - I'm soo with you about the felling of being "rushed."
Not that Arakawa-sensei skimped on any manga quality by doing so.
Far from it. This chapter comes at you with like a ton of bricks, and I'm totally overwhelmed reading those scenes of Xerxes being destroyed.
But, yeah, it feels like I have read 5 chapters' worth of material in one chapter. mellow.gif

Anyhow.. I'm going to take a break and go eat something.
I will be back later tonight and continue with the page-by-page translations. ^^
Causmicfire
Thanks Tombow and HisshouBuraiKen for translations, now I can focus on my homework assignment that's due tomorrow, instead of continually wondering what's going on in chapter 75.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.